User avatar
Francoflier
Topic Author
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:40 am

So Musk just revealed Tesla's new and long awaited truck and.... uh. Well I don't think anyone expected that.

Summary from The Verge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7atGkba-Z8

BBC article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50513294

I'm not sure whether they're just trolling everyone with that design. Then there's the windows which got smashed while trying to prove how tough they were to smash...
The whole thing felt like a joke.

At this stage I'm not sure whether they'll soon come up with another 'proper' reveal of a non retina-scratching design and say 'Sikes', or whether this actually is a genuine attempt at a truck designed by a bunch of visually-impaired 6 year-old.

The whole thing looks like a bunch of sheet metal hastily welded on top of a ladder frame (much like Starship 1, come to think of it :duck: ) and trying to emulate those cheesy 1990's F-117/stealth designs...

What say you?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12005
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:54 am

Well the other Teslas look a bit bland, so I like some originality !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11258
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 am

Aesma wrote:
Well the other Teslas look a bit bland, so I like some originality !


in deed, however "original" cars seem to often have great sales in the beginning, and a rather steep drop following it.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 am

For some reason it makes me think of a prostitute with 3 boobs...

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10246
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:08 am

Francoflier wrote:
The whole thing felt like a joke.


This, but thanks for sharing though, we'll see what will happen.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Number6
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:54 am

You know, on e of the things I really hate about some sci fI films is that they portray a future where aesthetics in design is a thing of the past. The movie Time cop for example, has cars that look like they’re built out of Lego. It like we forget what a nice car looks like. This Tesla truck comes across as a bad sci fi prop.
 
YokoTsuno
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:17 am

This seems a perfect vehicle for the HK market right now. Kills 2 birds with one stone, carbon emission and safe passage for weekend shopping.
 
YokoTsuno
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

Number6 wrote:
You know, on e of the things I really hate about some sci fI films is that they portray a future where aesthetics in design is a thing of the past. The movie Time cop for example, has cars that look like they’re built out of Lego. It like we forget what a nice car looks like. This Tesla truck comes across as a bad sci fi prop.
Same thoughts. Looks and branding is everything in a car. What's under the hood and behind the dashboard is more or less the same in every car.
 
JJJ
Posts: 3359
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 am

Francoflier wrote:
...

What say you?


Well for starters it doesn't seem to have rear view mirrors and one of the wheels seems at a bent angle.

For a major reveal it looked awfully a lot like a half-baked prototype
 
Airontario
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:43 am

I'd rather drive one of these:
Image
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Topic Author
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
For some reason it makes me think of a prostitute with 3 boobs...

Fred


Speaking of which, apparently there will be a new autopilot version as well:

Image
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11258
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:06 pm

YokoTsuno wrote:
Number6 wrote:
You know, on e of the things I really hate about some sci fI films is that they portray a future where aesthetics in design is a thing of the past. The movie Time cop for example, has cars that look like they’re built out of Lego. It like we forget what a nice car looks like. This Tesla truck comes across as a bad sci fi prop.
Same thoughts. Looks and branding is everything in a car. What's under the hood and behind the dashboard is more or less the same in every car.


"demolition man" is probably the one with the best cars in all of Sci-Fi. Especially the 1992 GM Ultralite ....

Excellent idea to use concept cars.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12380
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Francoflier wrote:

The whole thing looks like a bunch of sheet metal hastily welded on top of a ladder frame (much like Starship 1, come to think of it :duck: ) and trying to emulate those cheesy 1990's F-117/stealth designs...

What say you?


You think that by the way it looks but its not body on frame, its unibody.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12005
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:45 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
YokoTsuno wrote:
Number6 wrote:
You know, on e of the things I really hate about some sci fI films is that they portray a future where aesthetics in design is a thing of the past. The movie Time cop for example, has cars that look like they’re built out of Lego. It like we forget what a nice car looks like. This Tesla truck comes across as a bad sci fi prop.
Same thoughts. Looks and branding is everything in a car. What's under the hood and behind the dashboard is more or less the same in every car.


"demolition man" is probably the one with the best cars in all of Sci-Fi. Especially the 1992 GM Ultralite ....

Excellent idea to use concept cars.

best regards
Thomas


Image
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11258
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
YokoTsuno wrote:
Same thoughts. Looks and branding is everything in a car. What's under the hood and behind the dashboard is more or less the same in every car.


"demolition man" is probably the one with the best cars in all of Sci-Fi. Especially the 1992 GM Ultralite ....

Excellent idea to use concept cars.

best regards
Thomas


Image


Multipass .....

I was actually thinking about mentioning it as it is my favorite movie, it just happens to be perfect, for its car design being horrible, but perfectly in line with all the other design choices.....

totally green!

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Redd
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 pm

Image

Kind of strange-looking, but it seems to be taking inspiration from the Bollinger Electric Truck/Pick-up/SUV, which seems to be enjoying quite the fanfare at the moment... Very utilitarian, maybe that kind of trend is making a comeback.

Image
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7294
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:52 pm

It looks like he pulled another allnighter welding this thing after starship mk1 RUD.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Topic Author
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:44 pm

I bet the people over at Rivian are popping magnums of Champagne right now...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
Bostrom
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I bet the people over at Rivian are popping magnums of Champagne right now...


My thought as well.
 
User avatar
speedygonzales
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:05 pm

We finally have conclusive proof that smoking weed causes brain damage.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12380
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.


You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.


You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.


Look, I saiid I thought the design was neat, I didn’t say I put a deposit on one. Hubby just put a deposit on the new Ford Mach-E. But we have no need for a truck.

I think the design is very much a futuristic Land Ark. https://landarkrv.com/models/draper/
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 21018
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:10 pm

There are two kinds of truck owners in the United States:

I need to get building materials from here to there
I have to take my child to soccer practice and it makes me feel safe

This is neither of those markets.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
TARTRESED
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:11 pm

That thing is almost as ugly as a Camaro.
 
Kno
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
There are two kinds of truck owners in the United States:

I need to get building materials from here to there
I have to take my child to soccer practice and it makes me feel safe

This is neither of those markets.....


There are dozens of reasons to own a pick up truck and very few people who do fit into either of those categories.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7294
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:46 pm

The show is not about the truck, it is about the steel.

Some poor soul might have had muscle spasm and mumbled questions about the steel on the Starship.

Musk put out a Hollywood production to prove them wrong. Boss is always right.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12005
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Francoflier wrote:
I bet the people over at Rivian are popping magnums of Champagne right now...


Except the Tesla truck is supposed to be infinitely cheaper than the Rivian.

I wonder how you can fit 6 people in it though, rear headroom seems problematic.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12005
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.


You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.


I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.


You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.


I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.


Thank you. Tesla is going to be selling these in states and countries that have tax incentives for buying them, and where fuel is expensive. You’re going to mainly see this truck in Europe, California, Washington, Oregon, and the NE USA, and Asian countries that have similar high barriers for traditional trucks like Singapore and urban/suburban China.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7294
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:12 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
...Tesla is going to be selling these in states and countries that have tax incentives for buying them, and where fuel is expensive. You’re going to mainly see this truck in Europe, California, Washington, Oregon, and the NE USA, and Asian countries that have similar high barriers for traditional trucks like Singapore and urban/suburban China.


I think you missed drug runners and warlords. Who wouldn't want a $39K bulletproof, anti-ballistic truck? A nightmare for law enforcement, different story.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14417
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 pm

To me it would be better for Tesla to go after the small commercial van and small bus markets (ie: = to Ford Transit/Transit Connect). Pure EV's small commercial vans would work great in urban/suburban areas with high air pollution, are generally operated from a home base so can have a site for recharging and there would be a better international market. Versions could include EV shuttle buses at airports to/from car rental stations, local delivery and trade vans. The 'pick up' market is very fickle about EV's, too many are used as fuel guzzling cars to appease the egos or penis size of male owner/operators and would be a tough market to break into.
 
drew777
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:16 pm

I kinda hate it but I put my money down anyways. There is no way that thing will pass pedestrian safety standards. Hopefully that leads to some tasteful redesigns over the next 2 years.

It's only a $100 refundable deposit. That makes me think the whole thing really might be a joke. The deposit for Model 3 was $1000 I think.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Francoflier wrote:
So Musk just revealed Tesla's new and long awaited truck and.... uh. Well I don't think anyone expected that.

Summary from The Verge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7atGkba-Z8

BBC article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50513294

I'm not sure whether they're just trolling everyone with that design. Then there's the windows which got smashed while trying to prove how tough they were to smash...
The whole thing felt like a joke.

At this stage I'm not sure whether they'll soon come up with another 'proper' reveal of a non retina-scratching design and say 'Sikes', or whether this actually is a genuine attempt at a truck designed by a bunch of visually-impaired 6 year-old.

The whole thing looks like a bunch of sheet metal hastily welded on top of a ladder frame (much like Starship 1, come to think of it :duck: ) and trying to emulate those cheesy 1990's F-117/stealth designs...

What say you?


Well, they could have made/designed a Tesla looking pick-up truck but someone already beat them to it. So this was perhaps the backup plan? ;)
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12380
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
I think it’s pretty stunning. Tesla after all isn’t going to be selling these trucks to red state America anyway. Those buyers who are more conservative but still give a darn about the environment will be buying Ford’s new electric truck. Tesla is also a global company vs UScentric, and likely can only build 200,000 or 300,000 trucks globally per annum.


You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.


I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.


You don’t get out a lot do you, pickups are very popular in the UK, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, what they aren’t though is the giant oversized models they sell almost exclusively in North America, if this Tesla truck was VE Amorak, Mercedes X Class, Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux sized it would sell in Europe. Size matters.
 
bhill
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:28 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:42 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You’re smoking whatever Elon was if you think people living outside of the US will be interested in these things, just like current US market pickups it’s too big and way to stupid looking to hold much if any appeal.


I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.


Thank you. Tesla is going to be selling these in states and countries that have tax incentives for buying them, and where fuel is expensive. You’re going to mainly see this truck in Europe, California, Washington, Oregon, and the NE USA, and Asian countries that have similar high barriers for traditional trucks like Singapore and urban/suburban China.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? We have PLENTY of working pick em up trucks in WA state...alot of them working on farms and ranches. Please speak of this "barrier" that you mentioned....
Carpe Pices
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12380
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:43 pm

ltbewr wrote:
To me it would be better for Tesla to go after the small commercial van and small bus markets (ie: = to Ford Transit/Transit Connect). Pure EV's small commercial vans would work great in urban/suburban areas with high air pollution, are generally operated from a home base so can have a site for recharging and there would be a better international market. Versions could include EV shuttle buses at airports to/from car rental stations, local delivery and trade vans. The 'pick up' market is very fickle about EV's, too many are used as fuel guzzling cars to appease the egos or penis size of male owner/operators and would be a tough market to break into.


Rivan have already beaten them to it with there 100,000 unit order from Amazon.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9022
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 pm

dtw2hyd

I don’t think your target market of warlords and drug dealers will be impressed by the windows.
 
Redd
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm starting to think this whole thing might be a publicity stunt.....
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2945
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm

I am a Tesla fan (except for the paint which sucks), however, this one is a tough sell, though the exterior is far from finished, there are a lot of things missing (mirrors, wipers etc) that may help the looks of this thing.

ltbewr wrote:
To me it would be better for Tesla to go after the small commercial van and small bus markets (ie: = to Ford Transit/Transit Connect). Pure EV's small commercial vans would work great in urban/suburban areas with high air pollution, are generally operated from a home base so can have a site for recharging and there would be a better international market. Versions could include EV shuttle buses at airports to/from car rental stations, local delivery and trade vans. The 'pick up' market is very fickle about EV's, too many are used as fuel guzzling cars to appease the egos or penis size of male owner/operators and would be a tough market to break into.


I am waiting for Tesla to start working with one of the large RV brands to provide a fully electric RV, when it comes down to it, it's almost a perfect fit.
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:44 pm

bhill wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.


Thank you. Tesla is going to be selling these in states and countries that have tax incentives for buying them, and where fuel is expensive. You’re going to mainly see this truck in Europe, California, Washington, Oregon, and the NE USA, and Asian countries that have similar high barriers for traditional trucks like Singapore and urban/suburban China.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? We have PLENTY of working pick em up trucks in WA state...alot of them working on farms and ranches. Please speak of this "barrier" that you mentioned....


I said it would sell in WA. The barriers to entry are in Asia. Like in Singapore where you need to buy a permit in order to have a car/truck which runs $25,000 to $30,000, or in various Chinese or other Asian cities where you need to buy a parking space before you can get one. Those kinds of barriers.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:47 am

Aesma wrote:
I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless


Pick up truck are useless if you don't own a house, or if you own a house, but you're completely inept and therefore unable to anything around the house. Otherwise pickup trucks are excellent tools, much better than any car.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6930
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 am

Just like the OP I also thought of the F117, honorable mention to the Zumwalt destroyer.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 3253
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:04 am

Reviewer found the rear seats comfortable with lots of headroom for his 6' 3" frame. The wings beside the bed are guides/supports for the bed cover. The oversize tail gate telescopes down as a loading ramp, electric of course. Over all its form and function are pretty well integrated. If I were in the market for a pickup it would be my first choice. And that body would make a hell of a platform for a Suburban or limo replacement.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 am

What I saw:

Image
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11258
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
Aesma wrote:
I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless


Pick up truck are useless if you don't own a house, or if you own a house, but you're completely inept and therefore unable to anything around the house. Otherwise pickup trucks are excellent tools, much better than any car.


I had longer construction materials in my Passat then the longest F150 load bed is long, and almost twice as long as the shortest. With a closed trunk. Bit of a hassle, but how often do you do a new dry wall?
Buying because you like em, or because you need it for business makes sense, but it's not a tool because you do a lot around the house. Tools have to be cost efficient.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
seat64k
Posts: 538
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 am

Aesma wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless, but the reason they're not seen much in Europe is not that, but because they're too expensive, and guzzle gas like crazy, attracting a lot of attention from the taxman, making you cry at the pump, and leading to bad looks from people. That Tesla truck could very well sell in significant numbers here.


I don't understand why it has to be either extreme in Europe. In South Africa, we've always had a wide variety of small (half tonne) pickups (called "utility") that are based on small cards - VW Golf (mk 1), Mazda 323, Opel Corsa, Datsun/Nissan Sunny. They have the same small engines - typically 1.2-1.8L 4cyl, and fuel economy fall somewhere between slightly worse and the same as the sedan counterparts, depending on what kind of cover you put on the back.

There has also always been larger (1 tonne) utilites based on larger sedans - from the 70s Colt (2000?), Opel/Holden Commodore, Ford Cortina/Sierra/Falcon. The Cortina utility was available in everything from a 1.6L 4-cyl to 3L v6 engines.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am

The huge "Trucks" that are abundant in the US are, in any reasonable capacity, about as inefficient as can be. You can get bigger loads hauled in a real cargo compartment for far, far less if you buy a van, and it will get you and your stuff in superior comfort and with a much better chance of not having it break down around you.

No, the only real reason "trucks" are so popular in the US is because they're dirt cheap and provides the owner with a perceived image of being an outdoorsy, self-sufficient, frontier kind of guy. What everyone else sees is a massive inferiority complex, an abundance of poor taste, complete disdain for the environment and a MAGA hat wearing guy with a BMI rapidly moving towards triple digits.

They're not efficient, they're not cool, they're ugly as sin and offers less usability than 20 year old VW Passat.

PS
I was once given a F-150 as a rental in the US. With distance best measured in light-years, it was the worst vehicle I've ever had the displeasure of being subjected to. Even the G-230D that we rode in the army offered better ride quality. Now this was a brand new F-150, but the interior quality reminded me of a Lada from the 80s, only much worse and without any of the charm. I needed to adjust the steering rack, pulled the lever for said operation, which promptly came clean off its mounting. From there, it just got progressively worse; seat back wouldn't adjust, fuel cap filler came off its mounting and, by the 3rd day, it spontaneously went into limp home mode. With the F-150 being the best selling vehicle in the US for I don't know how many years, that's all you need to know about taking vehicular advice from an American.
Signature. You just read one.
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:40 am

B777LRF wrote:
The huge "Trucks" that are abundant in the US are, in any reasonable capacity, about as inefficient as can be. You can get bigger loads hauled in a real cargo compartment for far, far less if you buy a van, and it will get you and your stuff in superior comfort and with a much better chance of not having it break down around you.

No, the only real reason "trucks" are so popular in the US is because they're dirt cheap and provides the owner with a perceived image of being an outdoorsy, self-sufficient, frontier kind of guy. What everyone else sees is a massive inferiority complex, an abundance of poor taste, complete disdain for the environment and a MAGA hat wearing guy with a BMI rapidly moving towards triple digits.

They're not efficient, they're not cool, they're ugly as sin and offers less usability than 20 year old VW Passat.

PS
I was once given a F-150 as a rental in the US. With distance best measured in light-years, it was the worst vehicle I've ever had the displeasure of being subjected to. Even the G-230D that we rode in the army offered better ride quality. Now this was a brand new F-150, but the interior quality reminded me of a Lada from the 80s, only much worse and without any of the charm. I needed to adjust the steering rack, pulled the lever for said operation, which promptly came clean off its mounting. From there, it just got progressively worse; seat back wouldn't adjust, fuel cap filler came off its mounting and, by the 3rd day, it spontaneously went into limp home mode. With the F-150 being the best selling vehicle in the US for I don't know how many years, that's all you need to know about taking vehicular advice from an American.


Trucks here in the USA are not cheap to buy. The quality might be garbage, but the average price of a new full sized pickup truck is now $47,400.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 455588002/

You can easy spend $65,000 to $75,000 on a well equipped truck, with top models, loaded with options can hit $100,000. It’s insane.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:02 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
WildcatYXU wrote:
Aesma wrote:
I disagree. Pick-up trucks are pretty useless


Pick up truck are useless if you don't own a house, or if you own a house, but you're completely inept and therefore unable to anything around the house. Otherwise pickup trucks are excellent tools, much better than any car.


I had longer construction materials in my Passat then the longest F150 load bed is long, and almost twice as long as the shortest. With a closed trunk. Bit of a hassle, but how often do you do a new dry wall?
Buying because you like em, or because you need it for business makes sense, but it's not a tool because you do a lot around the house. Tools have to be cost efficient.

Best regards
Thomas


And when did you have your Passat loaded with material from a taken down deck or fence? Or leaves from the lawn? And yes, tools have to be cost efficient. I probably paid the same money for the Altima + Frontier as you paid for your Passat.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airtechy, Number6, WesternDC6B and 109 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos