drew777

Re: Tesla Truck: What the Hell?

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:53 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
Nickola Motors gave Tesla a truck design to use after seeing what Tesla offered. It’s a more traditional design.

Nikola Motors has only ever produced prototypes and press releases. Perhaps they should focus on their own production...

Muttel

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 pm

mham001 wrote:
as for the van/truck thing (why does it seem so important to people who don't drive either?), I have used both for work in Europe and the US. The truck fits my needs better because you cannot have loads dumped into a van. Nor can you unload that load as easily You cannot separate the passenger compartment from odors (and noise) in a van which makes it much, much more comfortable to drive.

At least in Europe, most cargo vans have a wall between the passenger and cargo compartments. AFAIK it is even required by law.

Thomas45

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:26 pm

This is like Ugly

SanDiegoLover

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:16 am

drew777 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
Nickola Motors gave Tesla a truck design to use after seeing what Tesla offered. It’s a more traditional design.

Nikola Motors has only ever produced prototypes and press releases. Perhaps they should focus on their own production...

They aren’t manufacturers (at least, yet). They are a design house.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 am

M564038 wrote:
I love it. Doesn’t change much for us europeans, and It will probably weigh more than 3500Kg with a large battery and payload, thus demanding a heavy truck deivers licence, which is a large course and pretty expensive.

But other than that I am 100% sure this will be a huge success. Pre orders are already 200 000.
It is so much better than the traditional maga-pickup trucks in every measureable criteria that they won’t have a choice.

A Model X P100D weighs 2600KG, the Cybertruck is made of heavy stainless steel with even heavier toughened glass, so I suspect it will be heavier than the X, probably very close to 3000kg, which (I think) will require anyone in Europe buying one a license to drive a vehicle over 3500kg.

Depending on where those pre orders come from I think a lot of European orders will drop off when potential owners realise what they will need to get to operate one on a public road in Europe.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am

Somebody already beat Tesla to the punch in making a Tesla truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCKjmfsgBBY&t=550s
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

JJJ

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 am

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:
I love it. Doesn’t change much for us europeans, and It will probably weigh more than 3500Kg with a large battery and payload, thus demanding a heavy truck deivers licence, which is a large course and pretty expensive.

But other than that I am 100% sure this will be a huge success. Pre orders are already 200 000.
It is so much better than the traditional maga-pickup trucks in every measureable criteria that they won’t have a choice.

A Model X P100D weighs 2600KG, the Cybertruck is made of heavy stainless steel with even heavier toughened glass, so I suspect it will be heavier than the X, probably very close to 3000kg, which (I think) will require anyone in Europe buying one a license to drive a vehicle over 3500kg.

Which means a tachometer and speed limited to 100 km/h.

This is aimed squarely and the NA market though. A few extra units in Dubai and thats it.

M564038

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm

That is probably the sad reality under current rules.
Who knows, maybe the unavoidable need for heavy batteries in future vans/trucks and autonomous safety features will lead to a change.

Edit!:
Already happened in Norway:
Max weight raised from 3500Kg to 4250 if extra weight is battery. Initial suggestion was for this to be only for commercial vans (2-seaters), but it was made in to law for all Class B Vehicles.

Might be hope for the Cybertruck after all.

JJJ wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:

This is aimed squarely and the NA market though. A few extra units in Dubai and thats it.

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:48 pm

M564038 wrote:
Who knows, maybe the unavoidable need for heavy batteries in future vans/trucks and autonomous safety features will lead to a change.

Edit!:
Max weight raised from 3500Kg to 4250 if extra weight is battery. Initial suggestion was for this to be only for commercial vans (2-seaters), but it was made in to law for all Class B Vehicles.

JJJ wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Where do you see that, here are the rules and it doesn’t mention anything about batteries. So no it doesn’t apply.

https://www.vegvesen.no/en/driving-lice ... egory+B+96

Pursuant to the main rule for driving licences, a category B driving licence entitles the holder to tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 750 kg. If the maximum authorised mass of the car is 3,500 kg, the maximum authorised mass of the vehicle combination (car + trailer) must not exceed 4,250 kg.

At 750kg trailer is pretty light. You won’t be able to tow a boat or caravan.

JJJ

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Edit!:

JJJ wrote:

Where do you see that, here are the rules and it doesn’t mention anything about batteries. So no it doesn’t apply.

https://www.vegvesen.no/en/driving-lice ... egory+B+96

Pursuant to the main rule for driving licences, a category B driving licence entitles the holder to tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 750 kg. If the maximum authorised mass of the car is 3,500 kg, the maximum authorised mass of the vehicle combination (car + trailer) must not exceed 4,250 kg.

It's still a catch 22. Exceed the threshold and you're speed limited and a new license. Get under and you need to pass pedestrian crash tests which this thing won't.

9Patch

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Saw this on Facebook:

anrec80

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:35 am

9Patch wrote:
Saw this on Facebook:

Yepp. Sell your house and live in this one.

anrec80

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 am

But I am curious - what’s the thing with armed glass that can be broken by a small ball?

M564038

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:35 am

The glass was already severly weakened.
Say what you want about Tesla, but don’t tend to underdeliver on specs and safety, and when they spec. and order this glass they probably haven’t skimped on quality.

alfa164

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:35 pm

Thomas45 wrote:
This is like Ugly

I can't decide if it looks more like a 19th Century coffin.... or a 21st Century hearse...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....