ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mr.Rogers Neighborhood

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Last night, I saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, which includes scenes of the studio of Mr.Rogers. Seeing the trolley car and model of a neighborhood brought back memories of his show, Mr.Rogers Neighborhood. The show has a sort of charm to it that is not seen with shows like Word Girl and SuperWhy. Also, here is a link to the thread back in 2000, that talks about his show coming to an end with new episodes.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1043671&p=13739045&hilit=Mr.rogers#p13739045

SmithAir747

Re: Mr.Rogers Neighborhood

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:18 pm

I grew up watching Mr. Rogers.

Did you know that PIT's terminal has (or has had) a small memorial to him in one of the concourses? I saw it when heading out to LGW on USAirways in 2004. I don't know if the memorial is still there or not.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:23 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
I grew up watching Mr. Rogers.

Did you know that PIT's terminal has (or has had) a small memorial to him in one of the concourses? I saw it when heading out to LGW on USAirways in 2004. I don't know if the memorial is still there or not.

SmithAir747

I had forgotten about the show until I saw the movie yesterday, which brought back memories of me watching the show.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27 am

zrs70

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 am

My Mr Roger’s story ... 1989, I had a summer college job as a ticket agent for a small airline (Business Express/ Delta Connection) at the Nantucket airport. One day, as I was checking passengers in, I looked up and I asked for the next passengers last name.

“Rogers” said a man with a smile. His smile was so much broader than any other passenger I had seen that it took me off guard.

Next thing I knew, children flocked to him asking, “ Will you be my neighbor?” He was so gentle and sweet with each person who approached him. And I got a moment to offer gratitude for one of my favorite episodes, The one with Margaret Hamilton – the wicked witch of the west!
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

Cadet985

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 am

I grew up watching him, and would even catch reruns when I was home sick in high school, or even in my dorm in college (if my roommate wasn’t around). Such a caring, compassionate person I doubt will ever exist again. When we were kids, he spoke to us like equals...it was no “baby talk.” So many lessons from that show.

Sometimes I wish it was still on because we can all learn something from those old episodes.

There was only one other death of someone I didn’t know that I grieved for, legendary Phillies announcer Harry Kalas.

I had thought the movie was a biopic of Mr. Rogers...but hearing it’s not, I’m not sure I want to see it.

Marc

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pm

My most recent Mr. Rogers story:

On Jeopardy the other day, one of the questions (answers) was (summarizing): He plays Mr. Rogers in the new movie "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" (and they actually showed a photo of him as Mr. Rogers).

None of the three contestants buzzed in.

I almost yelled at the TV.

https://www.insider.com/tom-hanks-jeopa ... eo-2019-11

(apparently, there was "an audio issue" that somehow prevented the contestants from responding, or hearing the clue, or something...)
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:09 am

vikkyvik wrote:
My most recent Mr. Rogers story:

On Jeopardy the other day, one of the questions (answers) was (summarizing): He plays Mr. Rogers in the new movie "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" (and they actually showed a photo of him as Mr. Rogers).

None of the three contestants buzzed in.

I almost yelled at the TV.

https://www.insider.com/tom-hanks-jeopa ... eo-2019-11

(apparently, there was "an audio issue" that somehow prevented the contestants from responding, or hearing the clue, or something...)

What differences does the face of Mr.Rodgers played by Tom Hanks in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood have compared to the face of the real Mr.Rodgers.