ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Alternate History of RMS Queen Elizabeth if She Had Not Burned

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 am

Had the RMS Queen Elizabeth not burned in Hong Kong back in 1972 during her conversion to the Seawise University, how long do you think she would have remained in service with her new owners. I am saying possibly 10 years and do you think that the Queen Elizabeth would have become a hotel and museum ship son or do you think the ship would have gone to the breakers barring any other calamity. If so, where do you think the Queen Elizabeth would have been used as a static attraction, considering that her running mate, the Queen Mary was and still is already in Long Beach. Here is a link to a thread back from 2007 on this subject and I also have a link to a Wikipedia article on the RMS Queen Elizabeth
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1183605&p=17022923&hilit=Queen+Elizabeth+burned#p17022923
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Elizabeth

DocLightning

Re: Alternate History of RMS Queen Elizabeth if She Had Not Burned

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:50 am

QE would probably have served into the 90s or maybe even early 2000s. She would not be turned into a QM-style museum ship because she had been Seawise University and there would not be the resources to convert her back to her old Cunard interior. She would have gone to the breakers.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:26 am

DocLightning wrote:
QE would probably have served into the 90s or maybe even early 2000s. She would not be turned into a QM-style museum ship because she had been Seawise University and there would not be the resources to convert her back to her old Cunard interior. She would have gone to the breakers.

Doc hit the nail on it's head, she would have ended up at the breakers like all those liners that came before and after her like SS France/Norway and it's where other old worn out vessels should also go, like SS United States, and QEII, keeping them serves no purpose, it's a waste of time money and resources.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:30 pm

DocLightning wrote:

The old Cunard interiors were kept intact under CY Tung's request and he loves the ship's beautiful interiors. So, I think she would have become a hotel and museum ship, possibly in Southampton or Liverpool.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:55 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

The old Cunard interiors were kept intact under CY Tung's request and he loves the ship's beautiful interiors. So, I think she would have become a hotel and museum ship, possibly in Southampton or Liverpool.

What if I told you that not every ship and old building needs to be preserved as a museum?

In your various threads it comes across as a hoarder's mentality... but with buildings and ships.

FGITD

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:25 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

What if I told you that not every ship and old building needs to be preserved as a museum?

In your various threads it comes across as a hoarder's mentality... but with buildings and ships.

And indeed one of the reasons so many people are fascinated by the last years of the big ocean liners is because there simply aren't many left. Allows exaggeration, and rose tinted perspective without seeing the reality of the fact that while gorgeous and luxurious, a ship was still a ship. It's the mystique of it all

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:58 pm

FGITD wrote:
And indeed one of the reasons so many people are fascinated by the last years of the big ocean liners is because there simply aren't many left. Allows exaggeration, and rose tinted perspective without seeing the reality of the fact that while gorgeous and luxurious, a ship was still a ship. It's the mystique of it all

The Queen Elizabeth carried a number of famous celebrities, served an important role in World War 2 as a troopship, and was the largest passenger ship in the world ever built until the Carnival Destiny came in 1996. Would have been a good fit for preservation as a hotel and museum ship as these made her historically significant. This would also have helped if the interiors remained intact from the Cunard years.

johns624

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:48 pm

Somebody needs to get out more...

Max Q

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 am

Anyone remember the Bond movie that used the tilted ‘inside of the Queen Elizabeth’ as M’s secret headquarters in HK ?!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:16 am

Max Q wrote:
Anyone remember the Bond movie that used the tilted ‘inside of the Queen Elizabeth’ as M’s secret headquarters in HK ?!

The film's title is The Man With the Golden Gun.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:09 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

The Queen Elizabeth carried a number of famous celebrities, served an important role in World War 2 as a troopship, and was the largest passenger ship in the world ever built until the Carnival Destiny came in 1996. Would have been a good fit for preservation as a hotel and museum ship as these made her historically significant. This would also have helped if the interiors remained intact from the Cunard years.

Including the famous celebrity known here as Galaxy Flyer, to/from Blighty, years gone by

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:11 am

The Queen Elizabeth was used as a hotel and museum ship in Port Everglades, Florida for like 2 years after retirement from the Cunard fleet in 1968 and was open to the public for a while. The ship suffered from deterioration due to deferred maintenance in the harsh Florida climate due to bad management and being coupled as a fire hazard, this led to the ship being closed.

Max Q

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

The film's title is The Man With the Golden Gun.

That’s it

One of my favorites
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

DocLightning

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:14 pm

FGITD wrote:

Not only that, but remember that those opulent interiors were something that only maybe 5% of travelers ever saw. In 300 years when we're all teleportiing or hyperlooping or whatever it is and airliners are gone, I'd bet that most of the depictions of the interiors of airliners will look like this:

When the reality for most of us is this:

Similarly, we are made to believe that traveling on an ocean liner looked like the First Class dining saloon from SS Normandie:

When the reality for most passengers was this much less grand dining room from RMS Queen Mary:

It's nice to think that we all would have been wealthy enough to travel in style and glamor wherever we went back in that day, but ask yourself now: how often do you fly in F?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 pm

DocLightning wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Not only that, but remember that those opulent interiors were something that only maybe 5% of travelers ever saw. In 300 years when we're all teleportiing or hyperlooping or whatever it is and airliners are gone, I'd bet that most of the depictions of the interiors of airliners will look like this:

When the reality for most of us is this:

Similarly, we are made to believe that traveling on an ocean liner looked like the First Class dining saloon from SS Normandie:

When the reality for most passengers was this much less grand dining room from RMS Queen Mary:

It's nice to think that we all would have been wealthy enough to travel in style and glamor wherever we went back in that day, but ask yourself now: how often do you fly in F?

The third class dining room on the Queen Mary pictured here still looks nice and rather pretty and certainly better than flying in coach on an airplane.

DocLightning

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The third class dining room on the Queen Mary pictured here still looks nice and rather pretty and certainly better than flying in coach on an airplane.

Worthy of being in a museum, though? Looks like my elementary school lunchroom.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 am

DocLightning wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Looks a lot nicer than any elementary school lunchroom that I have ever seen and that room should have been preserved rather than gutted when the Queen Mary was converted into a hotel and static attraction.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Cabin Class was quite nice, very formal, at 10 or 11 I had to wear a jacket and tie, Dad wore a suit. I think it was formal in first.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Cabin Class was quite nice, very formal, at 10 or 11 I had to wear a jacket and tie, Dad wore a suit. I think it was formal in first.

What did the Cabin Class Dining Room look like on the Queen Elizabeth.

Aaron747

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Looks a lot nicer than any elementary school lunchroom that I have ever seen and that room should have been preserved rather than gutted when the Queen Mary was converted into a hotel and static attraction.

Still need to get out more. I had a lovely eight days on Crystal Symphony on a family trip in the late 90s, but will not be pining for her to become a museum.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Quite a bit nicer than third-class—individual tables for families, waiters in tux, full menus. We snuck into first and third class, but I don’t have man6 memories. Lots of wood paneling, orchestra, linens.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Quite a bit nicer than third-class—individual tables for families, waiters in tux, full menus. We snuck into first and third class, but I don’t have man6 memories. Lots of wood paneling, orchestra, linens.

Third class at that point was called tourist class on the Queen Elizabeth.

readytotaxi

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm

DocLightning wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

You had table clothes at elementary, wow!
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

johns624

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:12 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
That's because to fly from NYC to London is only 7 HOURS while you'd be stuck on the ship for 3 DAYS.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Three! Make that FIVE days!

johns624

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Three! Make that FIVE days!
Even worse. The ships were built to handle bad weather, but the rolling, diving and yawing was worse than any but the very worst turbulence you'd feel in a plane.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:09 am

I don’t know, I remember very fondly watching the Atlantic roar by as we steamed to/from Southampton. I loved it, better and more civilized than coach on a B777.

DocLightning

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:01 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
You had table clothes at elementary, wow!

No, but the building was built in the '30s.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I don’t know, I remember very fondly watching the Atlantic roar by as we steamed to/from Southampton. I loved it, better and more civilized than coach on a B777.

Was tourist class on the Queen Elizabeth better and more comfortable than flying in coach on a plane today.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:33 am

No idea, didn’t travel in tourist on the QE, it would depend a great deal on the weather—winter in forward part of the ship would have been awful, I’d imagine.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No idea, didn’t travel in tourist on the QE, it would depend a great deal on the weather—winter in forward part of the ship would have been awful, I’d imagine.

Was cabin class on the Queen Elizabeth better than business class on a plane today.

johns624

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Was cabin class on the Queen Elizabeth better than business class on a plane today.
Are oranges better than apples? You're asking people to compare two entirely different modes of transport.
In the end, the plane was better because it's still around and transatlantic ocean liners aren't.