Airstud
Topic Author

Does HP 14b-ca0036nr Chromebook have a backlit keyboard?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 am

There's a deal on this one at my local Target and I'm holding more than $200 in gift cards and am ready to pounce, except both HP's own website and The Goog are utterly useless in answering that one key question. (There is no sense in buying an laptop, whether Chromebook, Macintosh, Linux, or the other kind, if it does not have an backlit keyboard.) So I thought I'd just throw out a Hail A.Net and see if anyone out there owns or has access to that HP X360 14b-ca0036nr type Chromebook and can tell me for sure.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII thankya.
Pancakes are delicious.

ChrisKen

Re: Does HP 14b-ca0036nr Chromebook have a backlit keyboard?

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:34 am

Airstud wrote:
There is no sense in buying an laptop, whether Chromebook, Macintosh, Linux, or the other kind, if it does not have an backlit keyboard.

A waste of power and a gimmick for noobs. The F & J are all you need to find your way around a keyboard.
As for the chromebook in question, the specs look poor (& it's HP). Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, with or without a pointless backlit keyboard.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:27 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Airstud wrote:
There is no sense in buying an laptop, whether Chromebook, Macintosh, Linux, or the other kind, if it does not have an backlit keyboard.

A waste of power and a gimmick for noobs. The F & J are all you need to find your way around a keyboard.
As for the chromebook in question, the specs look poor (& it's HP). Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, with or without a pointless backlit keyboard.

I do like the backlit keyboard on my Dell. Obv the letters are going to be standard on a qwerty keyboard, but the backlight helps find the lesser used keys (such as function keys etc)

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Why do you think lowly of HP? I thought their products were well-regarded.

I have a couple EliteBook 6930's that I scored off of eBay that have performed well.
Pancakes are delicious.

Aesma

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:58 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I do like the backlit keyboard on my Dell. Obv the letters are going to be standard on a qwerty keyboard, but the backlight helps find the lesser used keys (such as function keys etc)

Especially if you regularly use several different computers. My desktop keyboard is also backlit (Logitech K800).

I don't need to look at my keyboard all the time, but when I need to, it's really annoying to not be able to see anything.

I have no insight into chromebooks as I'm not interested in that OS.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

SueD

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Don’t waste any money , cards or points on a Chromebook please !

However many times they try to reinvent the netbook the performance continues to simply suck Period Stop.

Plus does Google need to know even more of your business really ?

Light use internet viewing , an odd document image manipulation and management .
Plus media an iPad really will be better value imho.

Only thing they have any use for is perhaps as an organ donor for playing with Linux distro’s imho. (Android is in and of itself Linux based anyway)

Oh and they aren’t necessarily cheaper than similar spec’ed Win10 machines (which will serve you better) and thats from a Mac addict !

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:05 am

SueD wrote:
Plus does Google need to know even more of your business really ?

Light use internet viewing , an odd document image manipulation and management .
Plus media [b]an iPad really will be better[/b[ value imho.

You saying Apple doesn't collect data on its users?
Pancakes are delicious.

SueD

Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 am

Apple services certainly collect user data and iCloud provides users with encrypted storage space .

However they don’t appear to use it for nefarious reasons but this - they never sell it on to third parties or even government agencies !

Google most certainly do

Privacy be dammed !

Oh and why latch onto that nugget was an android head nerve twitched perhaps ?