dfwjim1
Topic Author

House Hunters International - Puerto Rico

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:31 pm

House House International recently ran an episode about a lady buying a home in Puerto Rico but shouldn't this episode been on House Hunters since PR is a territory of the United States?

Not the most crucial issue of the day I know...

TSS

Re: House Hunters International - Puerto Rico

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Technically yes, but since Puerto Rico is a tropical island with different real estate expectations and availabilities than the vast majority of the rest of the US I'm prepared to let it slide.

To me the bigger question with House Hunters International is why in every episode Dan & Deb Dorky keep insisting that they need a huge dining room/living room combo "because they love to entertain"? First off, by the look and personalities of most of them I find that highly unlikely, and secondly, they're moving to a place that's hundreds if not thousands of miles from everyone they know so who exactly do they think they'll be entertaining right away anyway?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

luckyone

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 am

TSS wrote:
Technically yes, but since Puerto Rico is a tropical island with different real estate expectations and availabilities than the vast majority of the rest of the US I'm prepared to let it slide.

To me the bigger question with House Hunters International is why in every episode Dan & Deb Dorky keep insisting that they need a huge dining room/living room combo "because they love to entertain"? First off, by the look and personalities of most of them I find that highly unlikely, and secondly, they're moving to a place that's hundreds if not thousands of miles from everyone they know so who exactly do they think they'll be entertaining right away anyway?

Those shows involve some level of scripting. With respect to the House Hunters franchise, the house has already been chosen and the episode is written around that.

johns624

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 am

They all say the same clichés. They want everything "upgraded", stainless appliances and hardwood floors. Hardwood floors are good in some areas but I want carpeting in my bedrooms, at least. Nothing worse than getting up on a cold night and having your bare feet hit a cold floor. Before anyone says "use a throw rug", if you're going to have to have throw rugs everywhere, why not just have carpeting?
TSS is right. None of your friends are going to travel thousands of miles to see your place...maybe once, but that's it. They have their own ideas of vacations.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 am

I absolutely hate carpet, wood floors with area rugs is a better solution. That way you can easily replace the rugs over the years. Though, for some reason, I never replace my floor rugs. they hold up. except for the dining room and living room.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 am

luckyone wrote:
TSS wrote:

Those shows involve some level of scripting. With respect to the House Hunters franchise, the house has already been chosen and the episode is written around that.

Probably, I have a client who's a cinemaphotographer tor that franchise and other hgtv shows. Though he hasn't worked since his baby was born. they are gone for about a month. They take before and after photos, it takes them a full day just to shoot one room. I wouldn't have the patience. Sometimes, they can leave and come back but most of the time they are stuck at the location, so they become a jack of all trade, so they can rap up and go home.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

TSS wrote:

I know...Lol. There was a recent episode where an American couple moved to an obscure town in Ecuador that was hours from a commercial airport.. Their top priority was having room to entertain family and friends but who would want to travel there.

einsteinboricua

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm

"Hi. I'm John and I'm a freelance carpenter."
"Hi. I'm Stacey, and I'm a stay at home mom with our 4 kids"
"We're looking to find a place to raise our family, with baby #5 on the way. We want to be in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Our total budget is $1.2M"

This is why I can't believe these shows.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Have you looked at real estate articles in the NYT or WSJ? Every one of them is like that. NYT decries inequality, preaches progressive politics and then has an article on fashion with $300 jeans or one on buying a condo in the Upper West Side for $1.5 million. Utterly unrealistic.

GF

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:30 am

I would love it if they did one of those shows about the $ 1.00 houses for sale in Italy, showing three 1.00 houses to pick from, and then them deciding which one to buy, and then seeing how much money they had to pour into them for the before and after shot. I am sure they couldn't wrap things up in a month. I have been tempted to buy one of those $1 homes. I just don't know if I would get to Italy enough to use it.

Kent350787

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 am

I've been watching far, far too much HGTV recently. Agree with the OP on that question.

Hardwood floors have had a mention (I'm all for carpets in bedrooms in cold climates), but what is the obsession with twin basins in bathrooms. Every.Single.Episode.

Coming from Australia (and Sydney in particular), I tend to be amazed with how much you can get for the price almost anywhere else in the world. The occasional Aussie HHI tends to see people from overseas shocked with how little they can get for the price, even outside major cities.

CaptHadley

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:01 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Have you looked at real estate articles in the NYT or WSJ? Every one of them is like that. NYT decries inequality, preaches progressive politics and then has an article on fashion with $300 jeans or one on buying a condo in the Upper West Side for $1.5 million. Utterly unrealistic.

GF

Seriously, leave your constant politics out of anything unrelated to that. This topic is about house hunters and Puerto Rico. I am sure there is some topic elsewhere you can defend drumpf on this website.
Thank you

Aesma

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I would love it if they did one of those shows about the $ 1.00 houses for sale in Italy, showing three 1.00 houses to pick from, and then them deciding which one to buy, and then seeing how much money they had to pour into them for the before and after shot. I am sure they couldn't wrap things up in a month. I have been tempted to buy one of those $1 homes. I just don't know if I would get to Italy enough to use it.

I don't know if you would qualify, usually the idea is to revitalize places, not have empty second homes.

Real estate in Italy is already very cheap outside of a couple of places, a shrinking population will do that. An uncle of mine buys a bigger house, cheaper, every 5 years, the last one is 10000 square feet, with a tennis court, huge pool, olive garden...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

afterburner

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:32 am

Kent350787 wrote:
but what is the obsession with twin basins in bathrooms. Every.Single.Episode.

I have the same question. I can understand if both of the couple work, they don't want to take turns to use a single sink in the morning. However, they also ask for double sinks when looking for holiday homes. Why?
They also complain about how small the bedrooms are.

Coming from Australia (and Sydney in particular), I tend to be amazed with how much you can get for the price almost anywhere else in the world. The occasional Aussie HHI tends to see people from overseas shocked with how little they can get for the price, even outside major cities.

They usually underestimate the house prices in countries other than the US.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:46 am

Aesma wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

I don't know if you would qualify, usually the idea is to revitalize places, not have empty second homes.

Real estate in Italy is already very cheap outside of a couple of places, a shrinking population will do that. An uncle of mine buys a bigger house, cheaper, every 5 years, the last one is 10000 square feet, with a tennis court, huge pool, olive garden...

yes to get them for a 1.00 you have to revitalize them within one year. They don't care if you stay there or not. A lot of the homes they offer for 1.00 are in very small towns and terribly run down. I think in America they would be condemned. You can put an application online. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ital ... index.html

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:24 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Seriously, leave your constant politics out of anything unrelated to that. This topic is about house hunters and Puerto Rico. I am sure there is some topic elsewhere you can defend drumpf on this website.
Thank you

Seriously, what are you going on about? Not one word in my post on Trump. Don you not find it hypocritical that many are quite comfortable mixing wildly expensive goods with cries against inequality. Yes, off topic, I desist.

GF

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 pm

I’m more a Flip or Flop guy myself.

Kent350787

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I'm actually pretty hooked in Fixer Upper ATM.

Does the US have HHAsia, or is that one limited to our time zone? I find the cultural differences in it really interesting, and some of the cultural clashes even more so!

TSS

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I watched Property Brothers for a while but had to give it up when I found it made me shout at the TV too much. Although there was a little of this in every episode, one in particular stood out where a couple was looking at a very nice, well-maintained house that was within their price range that had been built, decorated, and had not changed in any way since about 1970... a real time capsule. The wife in the couple went through the house complaining about the stupidest things, saying stuff like "I couldn't possibly live in a house with (I'm sure very expensive custom but outdated) drapes like that!" and "Oh my God, the stove is YELLOW! (technically 'Harvest Gold', but still working perfectly and even as old as it was, likely to outlast any new stove bought today)". She kept on in this vein throughout the house, wildly overreacting to every outdated decorative element that was guaranteed to be replaced within the show, with me sitting at home screaming at the TV "You stupid ____, do you not know what ____ing show you're on?!? They're gonna replace all of that!!". That's when I said "Enough... I refuse to allow a home improvement show to manipulate my emotions to this extent" and I haven't watched Property Brothers since then.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!