ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Shooting at the French Quarter in New Orleans

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:57 am

A shooting at the edge of the French Quarter on Canal Street in New Orleans early Sunday morning left 10 people injured and one more person was detained, though not charged with any crime. The victims were being treated at local hospitals and two were in critical condition, but no arrests were made so far. There were so many people in the area that police were not able to identify the suspect and the address provided by police is a short walk from Bourbon Street. The shooting incident occurred after the Bayou Classic was played on Saturday night at the Superdome. This is a very unfortunate incident and it shows that evil exists everywhere, even in popular tourist attractions like the French Quarter. It also shows that no place is truly safe at any time.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/us/new-o ... index.html

Kent350787

Re: Shooting at the French Quarter in New Orleans

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:15 am

I hope they find the shooter and that the victims recover without ongoing issues..

Also note to self not to mention to my wife that this was two blocks where us gun violence averse Aussies are staying in a few weeks.

Aaron747

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
A shooting at the edge of the French Quarter on Canal Street in New Orleans early Sunday morning left 10 people injured and one more person was detained, though not charged with any crime. The victims were being treated at local hospitals and two were in critical condition, but no arrests were made so far. There were so many people in the area that police were not able to identify the suspect and the address provided by police is a short walk from Bourbon Street. The shooting incident occurred after the Bayou Classic was played on Saturday night at the Superdome. This is a very unfortunate incident and it shows that evil exists everywhere, even in popular tourist attractions like the French Quarter. It also shows that no place is truly safe at any time.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/01/us/new-o ... index.html

This incident shows evil is everywhere? Believe me, evil is everywhere even without this incident.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TSS

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am

Kent350787 wrote:
I hope they find the shooter and that the victims recover without ongoing issues..

Also note to self not to mention to my wife that this was two blocks where us gun violence averse Aussies are staying in a few weeks.

As long as you're not there on a weekend when a football game between two colleges with a longstanding rivalry is being played in town, you should be fine.

About the Bayou Classic- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayou_Classic
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DIRECTFLT

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 am

No word on whether the gun violence was terror related, or (white) supremacy / hate crime related. No description of the shooter, and no description of the victims, to try and determine the above. But we can can all guess and assume I suppose. I'll wait for some more concrete facts.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

N583JB

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:38 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
No word on whether the gun violence was terror related, or (white) supremacy / hate crime related. No description of the shooter, and no description of the victims, to try and determine the above. But we can can all guess and assume I suppose. I'll wait for some more concrete facts.

My guess is gang-related. The Bayou Classic seems to bring these kinds of problems with it. Have read on TripAdvisor and on Reddit from locals that it is best just to avoid NOLA when this event is in town due to the violence that often coincides with it.

Kent350787

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm still not mentioning it to my wife - the Hard Rock Hotel collapse was bad enough....