Dutchy
Topic Author

UN Climate Change Conference COP 25

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:27 pm

The UN Climate Change Conference COP 25 (2 – 13 December 2019) will take place under the Presidency of the Government of Chile and will be held with logistical support from the Government of Spain. SBSTA 51/ SBI 51 will take place 2-9 December 2019. The pre-sessional period is from 25 November - 1 December 2019. The President for the conference is Ms. Carolina Schmidt, Minister of Environment of Chile.

The conference is designed to take the next crucial steps in the UN climate change process. Following agreement on the implementation guidelines of the Paris Agreement at COP 24 in Poland last year, a key objective is to complete several matters with respect to the full operationalization of the Paris Climate Change Agreement. More about the conference

COP25

4 years after Paris, the emission continues to rise. So hopefully this summit will succeed in getting us effective tools to combat climate change and stay within 1,5C. Some scientist we have only a few years, others speak of ten years. But one thing is clear, we need to help each other, we are all in this together. No tragedy of the commons, we can't afford it.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: UN Climate Change Conference COP 25

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm

The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change dates from 1992 and Kyoto Protocol from 2005; you’ll have to be one heluva optimist to believe anything will change by 2030.

GF

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:37 pm

If nothing changes in our collective behavior, something will change and that will not be for the better. Doing nothing isn't an option anymore.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 am

May not be an option, but it’s definitely a possibility, even likely. Muddle through has a long history and so does adaption and evolution.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 am

meaningless dribble as an excuse for inactivity.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 am

GalaxyFlyer" Muddle through has a long history and so does adaption and evolution.[/quote]

Over evolutionary time scales....
And even then, cyanobacteria managed to cause the first mass extinction event and threatened their own existence while they where at it. We should try to be smarter than bacteria.

[quote="Dutchy wrote:
If nothing changes in our collective behavior, something will change and that will not be for the better. Doing nothing isn't an option anymore.

Nations need to get around to sanction anyone genocidal, with the stated intention of wrecking their economy, as that is the most effective way we know to bring down CO2 emissions.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
meaningless dribble as an excuse for inactivity.

Well, you posted that their hasn’t been change to reduce CO2 in 20 years, so inactivity seems to be the way forward.

Dieuwer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Another conference for the hypocrite elites, who fly their private jets to attend the meeting all the while berating "the little people" of not doing enough.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Another conference for the hypocrite elites, who fly their private jets to attend the meeting all the while berating "the little people" of not doing enough.

How do you suggest we solve this problem for the world, without the world meeting? It is easy to critize, not so easy to come with alternative sollutions.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

How do you suggest we solve this problem for the world, without the world meeting? It is easy to critize, not so easy to come with alternative sollutions.

as it becomes increasingly difficult to deny climate change people can either go completely bonkers, or adopt the "X isn´t doing much/anything, so we don´t have to either" position..

best regards
Thomas

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

as it becomes increasingly difficult to deny climate change people can either go completely bonkers, or adopt the "X isn´t doing much/anything, so we don´t have to either" position..

best regards
Thomas

Correct, Thomas, just another phase, we have moved from: nothing is going on to something is going on but we can't stop it. This will also pass. In the meantime, I will continue to contribute to the solution, and just shake my head hearing these kinds of comments.

Redd

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am

I went out to the bakery at 8am this morning for some fresh buns. I had to cross a single lane road which leads into the city center which is about 2km away. As far as the eye can see, it's bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't manage to see one car with more than one occupant, furthermore, looking at the license plates, almost all of the cars are local. 5 minutes later I was crossing the road back to my flat and the cars which had been at the crosswalk were only 5-10 meters further down the road from when I was crossing before.

That 5 minutes would have been enough to get to the centre by bicycle, or by tram, or by metro. Yet these people behind the wheels of their automobiles still had another 15-20 minutes to hit the centre + where ever they were going further than that.

It's that way every weekday morning and every weekday afternoon. So, a radical idea I know, but how about we stop relying on governments to fix the problem and do what we can do ourselves if we really care about the environment.
There can only be so many tree huggers driving their Q7's 5 kilometers to work every day before we finally take ownership of our own behaviors and stop relying on the governments, which have proven time and time again that they'll continue to be ineffective, and tackle the problem on our own?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and again and expecting a different result.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am

Redd wrote:
governments, which have proven time and time again that they'll continue to be ineffective, and tackle the problem on our own?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and again and expecting a different result.

Governments can be very effective, once they feel its urgent. When people in South Australia could get major sunburn within Minutes, the world acted swift, and successful.

All we need is Climate Change being a major inconvenience in industrialized nations or climate change related events killing a couple of hundred/thousand of their citizens. Then they will act.

best regards
Thomas

Redd

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 am

tommy1808 wrote:
All we need is Climate Change being a major inconvenience in industrialized nations or climate change related events killing a couple of hundred/thousand of their citizens. Then they will act.

best regards
Thomas

I agree that governments can be effective, but since nothing is happening I think we should encourage ourselves and others to start tackling the problem. I don't think it's a good idea to wait until things get much worse to finally start doing something.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am

Redd wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

I agree that governments can be effective, but since nothing is happening I think we should encourage ourselves and others to start tackling the problem. I don't think it's a good idea to wait until things get much worse to finally start doing something.

Within my bubble - and I know it is very much a bubble - I see a lot of wonderful things happening. But things need to be scaled up to be effective.

Dieuwer

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Video conferencing. We do it all he time.

tommy1808

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

So does everyone. You still go visit people from time to time, sometimes simply because video conferences become pretty useless once there are more than 10+/- people or so participating, and its not pure top down information stream.
People that fly a lot, private jet or not, grow sick of flying quite quick and don´t do it for fun.

best regards
Thomas.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

sure fine, for 5 people........................