sonicruiser
Topic Author

Scathing article in The New Yorker: Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi’s India

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 am

Pretty damning report, took me a while to get through all of it. I'll let the article speak for itself.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... odis-india

Francoflier

Re: Scathing article in The New Yorker: Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi’s India

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 am

You don't have to be very smart to realize that what he's done will not end well.

He's basically created resentment and anger among a large group of people in a poor and highly religious region... I don't think anyone needs a drawing to understand what that will lead to eventually.

But so it goes with the current populist/nationalistic political trends around the World. The goal is to create anger and division for political brownie points. Anger makes people go the voting booths.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BawliBooch

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:25 am

A once thriving liberal democracy has fallen to fascism. The West is just waking up to the dangers posed by Hindutva fascism.

Not a day too soon.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

alfa164

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:33 am

BawliBooch wrote:
A once thriving liberal democracy has fallen to fascism. The West is just waking up to the dangers posed by Hindutva fascism. Not a day too soon.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This. What politicians claim is "populism" is actually a cynical movement to pit "them" against "us", and it has taken off not only among the uneducated and naive voters of these countries, but, in many cases, more sophisticated abut frustrated and/or resentful classes.

Witness the sowing of division, all for political gain, by the current "leaders" of India, the Philippines, Poland, Italy - and more almost fascist parties in Europe - not to mention in the USA itself. It is a deranged attempt to turn back the clock, but, at least temporarily, it seems to be working. We can only hope the damage can be repaired when people come to their senses.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

frmrCapCadet

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Running a democratic government in a modern technological environment is hard. And expensive. It is appearing people will not pay the price. The alternative is atavistic nationalism which always leads to war and domination/exploitation of the masses by the increasingly small numbers of the elite. Welcome to our new world.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

unrave

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:51 am

The best retort to this rant is of course produced by Abhijit Iyer Mitra
https://theprint.in/opinion/in-rana-ayy ... oy/331730/

Basically Rana Ayyub is the modern day version of Arundhati Roy. "Every few years, the Western world seeks out, creates and builds bard of brown world’s pain"
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways