Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gia777
Topic Author

The New James Bond 007 movie will be a girl

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:36 am

I love watching James Bond. The earlier James Bond like Roger Moore and Sean Connery. I have no interest in a female Bond. What do you guys think? 007 is dead.
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

SanDiegoLover

Re: The New James Bond 007 movie will be a girl

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 am

Why can’t a Double 0 be a woman? It’s fiction anyway, who cares?

ArchGuy1

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:16 am

Also, I feel that some scenes should be set and filmed at Abu Simbel in Egypt, Izmir, Turkey, New York City, London, and Lahore, Pakistan.

ACDC8

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:

There's no reason a Double 0 agent can't be a woman, but sorry, 007 should remain what he is, a dashing, well dressed man that other men wish they were.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Aaron747

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:29 am

ACDC8 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

There's no reason a Double 0 agent can't be a woman, but sorry, 007 should remain what he is, a dashing, well dressed man that other men wish they were.

Perhaps other Bonds yeah, but I don’t know many men who wish they looked like Daniel Craig lol
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TSS

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:31 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:

A woman can be a Double 00 spy, no problem, but James Bond 007 is not a woman. Rather than come up with a new female agent, 005 perhaps, who is a woman and who can go places and do things that James Bond simply can't because he's a guy, lazy, unimaginative executives in Hollywood are trying to just insert a woman into what has always been a male role and hope that no-one notices the difference.

But on to the more important question: If in the forthcoming film James Bond magically becomes female, will the traditional "Bond Girls" also magically become "Bond Boys", and will they have clever double-entendre names like Miles O'Toole, Peter Plenty, Randy Johnson, and Dick Galore? Fair is fair, after all.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:36 am

What would a black male James Bond be like.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:41 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

I really liked the idea that Idris Elba will become the next 007 but I am not sure what happened to such considerations.

bennett123

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:33 am

007 was James Bond not Jane Bond.

Why not just create something new.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:40 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Also, I feel that some scenes should be set and filmed at Abu Simbel in Egypt, Izmir, Turkey, New York City, London, and Lahore, Pakistan.

I suppose the plot would need to incorporate those places, but one of the recent ones did have a scene set in Turkey atop a moving train. And London has been featured extensively recently in both Skyfall and Spectre.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

What do you mean? They'd just be James Bond... but black. I don't think the experience would be wildly different.

Picture your favourite Daniel Craig scene... then imagine it is Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor instead.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:

James Bond is 007, just like Clark Kent is Superman, Bruce Wayne is Batman and Diana Prince is Wonder Woman. Lots of people care.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

A terrible idea. Let's make Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman black, not going to happen is it, so why make Bond black when he has always been white.

The producers are messing with a very successful franchise, if they make 007 a black woman and try to run the next movie with a female 007 that will be the end of the franchise IMO.

BN747

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:41 am

I used to one of the biggest of Bond fans, have everyone up til they cast Pierce Brosnan (guy is skinnier than a skeleton)..

I even had the pleasure of meeting the best Bond ever, Connery.

But age (assurdly) and wisdom (if lucky) kicks in at some point..and now I look back and see who (the audience then) this earlier spy thrillers were aimed at and have concluded - we were a rather neanderthalish viewing audience.

Audiences evolve just as the forms/styles of entertainment they view.

We were fresh off 1950s, the first true nationwide generation of television viewing...our eyes consumed everything Hollywood shared.
It was technically the 1st internet of sorts with exposing materials simultaneously.

So every guy eat up the 'cool suave' character than was introduced as Bond. Although, he was embodiment of most men of that era, chauvinistic, myopic, sexist and totally self-obsessed asses. And cheered it as it appeared on screen - b/c were ignorant of all those negatives and accepted it as 'the norm'.

Today's viewing audience is far more sophisticated, they can effectively critique a film/show with accuracy from a 1 minute trailer, they are veterans of most 'story/plot lines'...not much can phase them now.

So Bond needs re:Tooling if the franchise is to remain competitive for a viewing audience.

New Bond actors must appeal to the new 16-30 audience than has zero appreciation for Dr. No and Goldfinger except for criticizing everything in it for it's archaic displays of how things were done.

Actually, I bet there are many younger types asking themselves 'the British have a spy agency this intense, why? It's tiny little island...(mind you most will have little to no understanding the days of British Empire.

You guys miffed by a chick Bond, they are nothing making this for you...they are taking aim at young girls and who have no problem with tough chick imagery on screen.
That's just business..your feelings be damned as far as they are concerned.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:28 am

Could not care less, but I love watching the conservative tantrums :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

BN747

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Could not care less, but I love watching the conservative tantrums :rotfl:

Yeah, like this fella...

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

A terrible idea. Let's make Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman black, not going to happen is it, so why make Bond black when he has always been white.

The producers are messing with a very successful franchise, if they make 007 a black woman and try to run the next movie with a female 007 that will be the end of the franchise IMO.

When whispers were flying that Idris Elba was going to be cast as the 1st black bond, apparently this person is one of the many conservatives who lost their cheese..

But in all reality, the box office numbers would have rocketed had that materialized for reason 'these people' are (mentality) blocked from comprehending.

But is great to watch them fire-off over this subject just as the other 'like' situations.
Yes, their will be an Asian Spiderman, a chick Robin and Latino Green Lantern, etc....it'll be for those 1 or 2 generations behind him, who get it and no longer subscribe to 'his' outdated cultural conditioning.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

VSMUT

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 am

I don't know, just watched the trailer. Unless Daniel Craig just had a sex-conversion job done to him, James Bond will very much be a man in the next movie.

ltbewr

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 am

The Bond-007 movies had to change with the times for their audiences and to make money. The rise of AIDS forced changes that Bond couldn't have sex with any woman he wanted. The bad guys can't be Russian, Black or Asian out of fear of losing those markets. Not all the women can be in their 20's and look like a swimsuit model as lose female audiences. People get tired of mass murder and violence. It is time to retire the 007 series and let it be what it was.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 am

I guess it will be a vegan transvestic, fighting the gangsters with recycable latte macchiato cups.

Just kidding, not meant to be offensive... :shy:
Last edited by N14AZ on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 am

Imho 007 can be a member of any ethnic group, but imho he needs to be male. It is like female Ghostbusters, if you just gender swap without adjusting the writing and style, it will feel forced and will fail. If they want to gender swap, give the woman her own number. 007 - Jane Bond won´t work. If they want to make it smooth let the secretary be the hero in the last film with Craig and expose that they have been agents on their own from the start.

tommy1808

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

007 isn't, as far as we can tell, one person and hence be interchangeable like Dr. Who. The others have a rather fixed Vita....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Number6

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:14 am

Ok. So now that we’re all worked up over this, let’s look at this objectively. The new 007 is just that, 007. Agents are assigned 00 numbers based in which number is available. James Bond, following his retirement at the end of spectre, the next Agent up was assigned his now vacant number. There has been no gender swap, no PC nonsense, just the next new agent assigned a new number. That’s it.

As to the film. Looking forward to seeing it. It should be a nice closer to the Daniel Craig era. The next James Bond won’t be based on the new 007. I expect a reboot for the new actor taking the role, given the story arc nature of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Time for a new story with a younger actor.

FatCat

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:21 am

I'd love to see Idris Elba as 007.
He's a great actor.
But 007 should be less politically correct.
He has to drink like a sponge, smoke like a chimney, drive very fast and expensive cars and have multiple sexual intercourses.
And still fight for the British Empire with success.
I mean... we all have our employee life, made of hours in the traffic, the groceries and house works on Saturdays, cholesterol, the dinner with mother-in-laws and 20 - 30 minutes of bland sex with our wives once a week, let us dream a little bit.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Redd

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 am

Soon 007 will be gender fluid. These are the times we live in...

Aesma

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm

I've enjoyed quite a few TV series with basically a James Bond woman as the lead. Alias with Jennifer Garner for example. My favorite is Covert Affairs : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1495708/

edit : also, I have no problem with 007 as he is and was, but what some of you are asking for, is literally in dozens of 007 movies already, why do you need more of the same ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:32 pm

She looks very, em . . . masculine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHV1omjzpWA

dtw2hyd

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:50 pm

I think Gina Carano would be good choice. Able actor, MMA pro, good looking yet not stereotypical skinny female Bond character.

Oh, one of the prior male Bonds can be her sidekick.
All posts are just opinions.

Dieuwer

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:06 pm

There already is a female James Bond 007 of sorts: Lara Croft.
Now what would be a pleasant surprise if we can ditch the endless heterosexual innuendo in JB movies and make a juicy LGBT Bond movie :D
Last edited by Dieuwer on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:07 pm

BN747 wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

When whispers were flying that Idris Elba was going to be cast as the 1st black bond, apparently this person is one of the many conservatives who lost their cheese..

But in all reality, the box office numbers would have rocketed had that materialized for reason 'these people' are (mentality) blocked from comprehending.

But is great to watch them fire-off over this subject just as the other 'like' situations.
Yes, their will be an Asian Spiderman, a chick Robin and Latino Green Lantern, etc....it'll be for those 1 or 2 generations behind him, who get it and no longer subscribe to 'his' outdated cultural conditioning.

BN747

Idris is a fine actor and he has his TV franchise which he is awesome in, but he is not James Bond.

To date there has not been an Asian Superman, chick Robin or a Latino Green Lantern, nobody wants to see that, just like there hasn't been a white, asian or latino Shaft or white, asian or latino Axel Foley

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

007 isn't, as far as we can tell, one person and hence be interchangeable like Dr. Who. The others have a rather fixed Vita....

Best regards
Thomas

James Bond is one person, he is 007, just like Bruce Wayne is Batman, he's not a series of people called Bruce Wayne, who all happen to be batman. Some things don't need to be touched, like the Ghostbusters reboot, why play with a kill what was a successful formula??

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:19 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The Bond-007 movies had to change with the times for their audiences and to make money. The rise of AIDS forced changes that Bond couldn't have sex with any woman he wanted. The bad guys can't be Russian, Black or Asian out of fear of losing those markets. Not all the women can be in their 20's and look like a swimsuit model as lose female audiences. People get tired of mass murder and violence. It is time to retire the 007 series and let it be what it was.

Have you seen the last Bond movies? they are more violent with than all the previous films, the last movies have also been the biggest box office draws in the franchise, it would appear the public don't share your point of view.

Braybuddy wrote:

She looks like Caster Semenya

Dieuwer wrote:
There already is a female James Bond 007 of sorts: Lara Croft.

Lara Croft is the female Indiana Jones. Atomic Blond is a lot closer to at least the Daniel Craig Bond movies than any other female lead spy movie.

slider

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Bond 25 will be the last Bond as we know it. Craig brought a brooding moodiness, darkness to the role, and Bond morphed into Jason Bourne action hero. Time to bring back some camp, IMO.

But mark my words, they'll learn in time that if they make Bond a female, it's another example of 'get woke, go broke' that will happen.

seahawk

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 pm

The gender of the lead acting person, does hardly matter today, what matters is that the story suits the person and fictional character.

Female Ghostbuster flopped because that was the classic Gender Swap, where the characters remained mostly unchanged only the gender changed.
Having a female lead for an action movie is no problem (Kill Bill, Captain Marvel, Atomic Blonde, Resident Evil,...) even female Thor worked in the comics, but the story line needs to change with the gender.

tommy1808

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
James Bond is one person, he is 007, just like Bruce Wayne is Batman, he's not a series of people called Bruce Wayne, who all happen to be batman. Some things don't need to be touched, like the Ghostbusters reboot, why play with a kill what was a successful formula??

Everyone in the James Bond Universe uses Code Names, M, Q, Moneypenny, Felix Leiter, sometimes with explicit reference to the "new x".

James Bond isn´t 007s name on his birth certificate as far as we can tell, and while Roger Moore talked about his murdered Wife (=same person), none of those that followed ever mentioned her/being married (=not the same person).

James Bond makes more sense if you think of James Bond being a Code Name....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:26 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Everyone in the James Bond Universe uses Code Names, M, Q, Moneypenny, Felix Leiter, sometimes with explicit reference to the "new x".

James Bond isn´t 007s name on his birth certificate as far as we can tell, and while Roger Moore talked about his murdered Wife (=same person), none of those that followed ever mentioned her/being married (=not the same person).

James Bond makes more sense if you think of James Bond being a Code Name....

best regards
Thomas

You need to watch On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and Skyfall again. As far as the books go James Bond is his birth name.

hawaiian717

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:46 pm

TSS wrote:
A woman can be a Double 00 spy, no problem, but James Bond 007 is not a woman. Rather than come up with a new female agent, 005 perhaps, who is a woman and who can go places and do things that James Bond simply can't because he's a guy

This has been considered at least twice in the past but MGM apparently pulled the plug. In the late 1990s there was discussion of a film featuring Michelle Yeoh's Wai Lin from Tomorrow Never Dies, then in the early 2000s there was talk about one featuring Halle Berry's Jinx from Die Another Day.

seb146

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I see references to "the new Bond is going to be a (insert gender/ethnicity here)" but I just saw a short trailer for the new Bond movie and it shows Daniel Craig. I am much more interested in who sings the theme song, but why is everyone getting bent out of shape over a fictional character?

Kiwirob mentioned Bond was born a man in the books. That is all well and good but movies rarely follow the books.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:53 pm

YouTubers Aba & Preach pretty much sum up my feelings on changes being made to 007 and other franchises-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4henVjDtKVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjEcTj6X1g

ER757

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Number6 wrote:
Ok. So now that we’re all worked up over this, let’s look at this objectively. The new 007 is just that, 007. Agents are assigned 00 numbers based in which number is available. James Bond, following his retirement at the end of spectre, the next Agent up was assigned his now vacant number. There has been no gender swap, no PC nonsense, just the next new agent assigned a new number. That’s it.

As to the film. Looking forward to seeing it. It should be a nice closer to the Daniel Craig era. The next James Bond won’t be based on the new 007. I expect a reboot for the new actor taking the role, given the story arc nature of Daniel Craig’s Bond. Time for a new story with a younger actor.

Nice explanation - works for me.
Love your user name and avatar by the way - huge fan of The Prisoner - IMO Number 6 was Jonathan Drake (Secret Agent lead) - same actor, former spy - it all fits. Sorry for going off topic

stl07

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Love the tears coming from people getting triggered over a black 007 or a woman 007. I don't care what ethnicity/sex 007 has, I want a good movie. It's also funny that these are the same people in other threads who call love calling other people "triggered"
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

BN747

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:24 am

Braybuddy wrote:

Well...they did do it right, they went all in!

FatCat wrote:
I'd love to see Idris Elba as 007.
He's a great actor.
But 007 should be less politically correct.
He has to drink like a sponge, smoke like a chimney, drive very fast and expensive cars and have multiple sexual intercourses.
And still fight for the British Empire with success.
I mean... we all have our employee life, made of hours in the traffic, the groceries and house works on Saturdays, cholesterol, the dinner with mother-in-laws and 20 - 30 minutes of bland sex with our wives once a week, let us dream a little bit.

Man, there can't be many truer statements posted on A.net as this...and I mean the last statement, :hissyfit:

BN747

Kiwirob

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:53 am

TSS wrote:
YouTubers Aba & Preach pretty much sum up my feelings on changes being made to 007 and other franchises-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4henVjDtKVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKjEcTj6X1g

Never seen these guys before but they clearly get it, I've now binge watched a truck load of there videos.

BN747

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

BN747

Idris is a fine actor and he has his TV franchise which he is awesome in, but he is not James Bond.

Correction: Not for YOU.

Kiwirob wrote:
To date there has not been an Asian Superman, chick Robin or a Latino Green Lantern, nobody wants to see that, just like there hasn't been a white, asian or latino Shaft or white, asian or latino Axel Foley

Today's young movie going crowd sees the world far far beyond how you were taught and habitually practice...soooo
...another Correction:..nobody wants to see that, YOU don't Want to See that! YOU are are NOT everyone else nor do you speak for them.

What is wrong with you?

And obviously, the generation of which you derive is shrinking, as is it's archaic closed-minded teachings...please tag those facts along with any post you make attempting to 'speak' for what everyone wants or does not want.

Moviemakers have tossed your genre off the list of films to come, they are playing for market share ..aka a younger and more complex audiences that understands things you did not at their age. The market share they are currently targeting ...does NOT include YOU. You are not in their analysis of 'what viewers want...', you are out to pasture as far they are concerned.

BN747

bennett123

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:52 am

Perhaps if they want a different action hero they should create a new franchise.

Kiwirob

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:04 am

BN747 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Kiwirob wrote:

Today's young movie going crowd sees the world far far beyond how you were taught and habitually practice...soooo
...another Correction:..nobody wants to see that, YOU don't Want to See that! YOU are are NOT everyone else nor do you speak for them.

What is wrong with you?

And obviously, the generation of which you derive is shrinking, as is it's archaic closed-minded teachings...please tag those facts along with any post you make attempting to 'speak' for what everyone wants or does not want.

Moviemakers have tossed your genre off the list of films to come, they are playing for market share ..aka a younger and more complex audiences that understands things you did not at their age. The market share they are currently targeting ...does NOT include YOU. You are not in their analysis of 'what viewers want...', you are out to pasture as far they are concerned.

BN747

When franchises are messed with they die. People like there characters to be what they have always been, movie makers mess with that at there peril.

seahawk

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm

No people want good movies - nothing more nothing less. A good movie needs a convincing story and using the story line of a typical 007 movie and just genre swapping the lead character is not going to work. That however does not mean that a female 007 can not work, given a story written for a female character.

DL717

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:19 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Perhaps if they want a different action hero they should create a new franchise.

This. They actually have one if they want to continue it: Salt

Number6 wrote:

Fine. Make her 008. This is just stupid. 007 is an ass kicking martini drinking ladies man. All woke and don’t like it, don’t go see it.

#franchisedead
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

blueflyer

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Behind a paywall, but timely article showing how a female 007 may not be an easy sell.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dark-s ... ge=1&pos=2

Die-hard Star Wars fans complained when Disney added new characters that were not white males to the story line. I can't imagine 007 fans are any less committed to their franchise, there will be revolts in the streets and theaters will burn if 007 undergoes a gender change.

TSS

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:25 pm

blueflyer wrote:
Behind a paywall, but timely article showing how a female 007 may not be an easy sell.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dark-s ... ge=1&pos=2

Die-hard Star Wars fans complained when Disney added new characters that were not white males to the story line. I can't imagine 007 fans are any less committed to their franchise, there will be revolts in the streets and theaters will burn if 007 undergoes a gender change.

What Star Wars fan were complaining about was not the fact that the characters were not white males, but the fact that the new characters, Rey in particular, were the very definition of "Mary Sues": Born with a complete and fully-formed skill set that took every other character years of training to acquire, no negative aspects to their personality to overcome, and universally liked by all they meet for no apparent reason. Mary Sues are impossible to write good, engaging stories around because there is no story to tell about them- They are by their nature "just awesome" right out of the box so there is no development for their character to undergo and there are no challenges for them to overcome because they win every battle, every time.

More on what constitutes a "Mary Sue" character- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcXVGIi1m28

Why Rey is a Mary Sue and Luke Skywalker is Not- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8Qm5o0oSY

blueflyer

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:48 pm

TSS wrote:
What Star Wars fan were complaining about was not the fact that the characters were not white males, but the fact that the new characters, Rey in particular, were the very definition of "Mary Sues":

And they manifested their displeasure by posting racist and misogynistic comments online and on the social media of the new actors? I'm sure some fans did have motives grounded in character development, however let's not pretend there were not darker motives at play as well.

Braybuddy

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Given that every generation despises the one that went before it, and goes out of its way to reject its predecessors' beliefs, I'm looking forward to all this woke shit being trashed in ten years' time by the next younger generation. If I'm around to see it, of course . . . . :D

BN747

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

What is wrong with you?

BN747

When franchises are messed with they die. People like there characters to be what they have always been, movie makers mess with that at there peril.

Yes they do and they also know when a franchise has run it's course..which is why they've decided to which things up for this franchise to buy a longer lease on life.

I hear your whining of dissatisfaction...but I've nothing to show you know something the Film Development honchos don't know, just your hurt feelings.

BN747