Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

Why the Hate for the Cowboys?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 am

Look it's hard to watch the Cowboys implode. Witten came back but it's apparent Garrett has lost the team. I mean after a week of a total media beating they went into Chicago with no intensity and laid another egg. What I don't get is the piling on and hate for this team. Yes Jerry Jones is hard to like and they have a ton of talent but it seem the big game eludes them every time but it's non stop.

Thoughts?
I am the Googlizer!!!

THS214

Re: Why the Hate for the Cowboys?

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Look it's hard to watch the Cowboys implode. Witten came back but it's apparent Garrett has lost the team. I mean after a week of a total media beating they went into Chicago with no intensity and laid another egg. What I don't get is the piling on and hate for this team. Yes Jerry Jones is hard to like and they have a ton of talent but it seem the big game eludes them every time but it's non stop.

Thoughts?

I don't hate cowboys. They do their job. Are they needed or can their job done more efficiently I don't know.

Okie

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:47 pm

They appear about as lethargic as the second shift after they take a "Smoke Break"

Okie

johns624

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Never liked them since they were (South) America's Team...

blueflyer

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Not that I care much about the 'boys, but if I were to rely on the people around me who do... I'd blame years of pent-up frustration with an owner who can't admit his general manager sucks!

910A

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm

blueflyer wrote:
Not that I care much about the 'boys, but if I were to rely on the people around me who do... I'd blame years of pent-up frustration with an owner who can't admit his general manager sucks!

You hit right on the money, until Jerry Jones fires GM Jerry Jones who lets personal feelings get in the way of improving the team. Garrett should have been let go seasons ago. Having a losing record after 13 games and yet be in first place shows how bad the NFC East is this season.

scbriml

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Why the hate for the Cowboys?

Because they’re the Cowboys!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

readytotaxi

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I opened this thread expecting John Wayne vs Indians :old:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

casinterest

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:40 pm

The Dallas Cowboys for years were "America's team". Many Americans did not agree, so the anti Dallas point of view is easy to see. Also they play in a division with hardcore fans in the Giants, Eagles and Redskins. Not a lot of Love lost there.

However,. the real issue for the Cowboys is that they have sacrificed some necessary Line and Defensive position masters to pay for their Offensive stars, and it is showing in the results.
Plus they really need a good kicker.
Where ever you go, there you are.

DaProf

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Because they are in the Republic of Texas, so it's like if the Toronto Blue Jay's called themselves "America's Team". But atleast they aren't the steelers, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

alfa164

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:05 pm

There was atime when the Cowboy were the most popular team in the USA. Under classy management (Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt) and coaching (Tom Landry) they deserved - despite their detractors - the moniker "America's Team".

Come Jerry Jones, and his obnoxious and self-centered ownership, they ceased to be "America's Team"; he made it clear they were "Jerry Jones' Team", with all the desultory manifestations of his sordid "leadership". Now rivals who once disliked but respected them no longer have that respect; they dislike and revel in their haplessness. Brands are a curious thing: difficult to favorably create, but easy to destroy once intact. Jones and his ilk have made millions, but have destroyed the high reputation the team enjoyed. Their failures on the field no longer get sympathy, but derision.

They are now the Arlington Turkeys.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Revelation

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
The Dallas Cowboys for years were "America's team". Many Americans did not agree, so the anti Dallas point of view is easy to see. Also they play in a division with hardcore fans in the Giants, Eagles and Redskins. Not a lot of Love lost there.

However,. the real issue for the Cowboys is that they have sacrificed some necessary Line and Defensive position masters to pay for their Offensive stars, and it is showing in the results.
Plus they really need a good kicker.

DAL had true greatness back in the Tex Schram / Tom Landry days, and a bit of it carried in to the Jones / Johnson era too. They played great on the field, and marketed their cheerleaders far better than anyone else did back then or since. A lot of teenaged boys had Cowboys cheerleaders posters on their wall, and a lot of teenaged girls wanted to look like those cheerleaders. They created a huge fan base, and once you have a loyal following it usually sticks with you through good times and bad.

Once you achieve those heights it's hard to live up to them, and everyone you blew by in the glory days has a lot of resentment to hurl at you once you can't meet that standard any more. We can already see the glee that people have since NE is "stumbling" with a 10-2 record. It's far easier to kick DAL now that they are 6-7 and losing games people expected them to win, such as CHI, NYJ, BUF, etc. Yet DAL is still in first place in NFCE, one half game ahead of PHL as of right now.

Personally I lost respect for DAL when Jones could not let himself be outshined first by Tom Landry then by Jimmy Johnson. You could make a case that Landry's run was over but firing Johnson was purely a rich man's move to fire anyone who could outshine him. He continuously shows that he needs to be the center of attention, and hires and retains "yes men" like Jason Garrett who know how to kiss his butt and stay in their lane rather than finding someone who can coach a lot better than Garrett does.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ltbewr

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 pm

The arrogance of the owner and fans of the Cowboys is one factor why they became so hated. New England has set a standard of extended quality, with a coach that even you don't like him, you respect his abilities and record from it.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 pm

Okie wrote:
They appear about as lethargic as the second shift after they take a "Smoke Break"

Okie

Yes they had no fight in them at all. Guess Garrett has lost them.

ltbewr wrote:
The arrogance of the owner and fans of the Cowboys is one factor why they became so hated. New England has set a standard of extended quality, with a coach that even you don't like him, you respect his abilities and record from it.

Very true I mean the Jags have imploded worse and nobody has said one word.
I am the Googlizer!!!

ER757

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Thoughts?

Exhibit A - last night
After the game on both ESPN and NFL Network, the talking heads on the post-game shows blabbed on endlessly about the Cowboys losing and their poor play while not once mentioning the team that actually WON the game. It's very similar to why a lot of golf fans dislike Tiger Woods - the media focuses on them so much that others get a mere mention if that.

Also no doubt that their getting the moniker America's Team turned people off too.
And yes, Jerry Jones is an annoyance to be sure, so that doesn't help.
My personal dislike for them goes way back to my teen years. I'm a Chicago boy and die-hard Bears fan, even though I left there 30 years ago. Growing up, my best friend, also Chicago born, was a huge Cowboys fan for some unknown reason. Back in the 70's the Bears were awful, the Cowboys great, so I had to listen to him day in and day out. That made me hate the Cowboys more than any other team in sports with the exception of the Cubs. If they ever met in a neutral sport, it would be the one time I cheered for the Cowboys :D

StarAC17

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:04 pm

alfa164 wrote:
There was atime when the Cowboy were the most popular team in the USA. Under classy management (Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt) and coaching (Tom Landry) they deserved - despite their detractors - the moniker "America's Team".

Come Jerry Jones, and his obnoxious and self-centered ownership, they ceased to be "America's Team"; he made it clear they were "Jerry Jones' Team", with all the desultory manifestations of his sordid "leadership". Now rivals who once disliked but respected them no longer have that respect; they dislike and revel in their haplessness. Brands are a curious thing: difficult to favorably create, but easy to destroy once intact. Jones and his ilk have made millions, but have destroyed the high reputation the team enjoyed. Their failures on the field no longer get sympathy, but derision.

They are now the Arlington Turkeys.

They are still the most popular and valuable NFL team besides their mediocrity in the last 20 years.

If you ever try to get tickets to a game against Dallas in any market they are far more expensive against Dallas than any other team. My good friend is a Cowboys Fan and when they play the Bills or the Lions in Buffalo or Detroit (I live in Toronto FYI) the prices are $250 for nosebleeds, the following week when the Bills play the Jets the tickets are $40.

The problem with the Cowboys is the arrogance of Jerry Jones. Don't get me wrong he is probably the most charismatic owner in the NFL and a great showman. However he thinks he knows more about football than brilliant football minds. He has clashed with any coach that has wanted control of football operations such as Jimmy Johnson (who got him 2 rings) and Bill Parcells who had Dallas on the right path with Tony Romo in 2007 until he got frustrated with Jerry.

The only reason that Jason Garrett has a job still is that he is Jerry's yes man.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

blueflyer

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 pm

casinterest wrote:
The Dallas Cowboys for years were "America's team".

To be fair, they are (reportedly) the only team with season ticket holders in every state of the US. I see plenty of them, not very happy lately, at DFW on Sundays...

Revelation wrote:
They played great on the field, and marketed their cheerleaders far better than anyone else did back then or since. A lot of teenaged boys had Cowboys cheerleaders posters on their wall, and a lot of teenaged girls wanted to look like those cheerleaders.

The cheerleaders are still in high demand all over Texas. Even Austin, which doesn't miss an opportunity to show off UT, will go to the Cowboys first when they need cheerleaders...

Revelation wrote:
Personally I lost respect for DAL when Jones could not let himself be outshined first by Tom Landry then by Jimmy Johnson. You could make a case that Landry's run was over but firing Johnson was purely a rich man's move to fire anyone who could outshine him. He continuously shows that he needs to be the center of attention, and hires and retains "yes men" like Jason Garrett who know how to kiss his butt and stay in their lane rather than finding someone who can coach a lot better than Garrett does.

Supposedly the issue is Jerry Jones believes he deserves more credit than Jimmy Johnson for the wins of that era. Winning a Super Bowl as GM is how he'd demonstrate that he matters more than the coach...

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 am

The fans.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

CaptHadley

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 am

4 things, they're the Cowboys, the fans, Jerry Jones, they're from Texas. Actually 5 things, they're from Texas.