ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Police Chase Involving UPS Truck Ends in Shootout

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 pm

A police chase involving a hijacked UPS truck in the Miami area yesterday has ended with a shootout at a busy intersection in Miramar that left four people dead, including the UPS driver. The two robbers were also shot dead with the fourth person being in a nearby vehicle. A jewelry store worker in Coral Gables, where the chase began was also injured and it is unclear if he was shot. It all started shortly after 4 pm when police in Coral Gables received a silent alarm at Regents Jewelers in the Mirace Mile area of the city with two suspects in the store and shots fired by police that triggered the silent alarm. Th he suspects fled in a truck and then hijacked the UPS truck, including the driver not long afterward, which started the chase in southern Broward County, running red lights and narrowly avoiding crashes along the way. THe chase was also followed by news helicopters up until it all ended. The UPS truck stopped at a red light on a busy roadway and the path was blocked by several vehicles. After the truck stopped, officers moved in and one person fell out of the vehicle after shots were fired. Th he chase led to multiple crime scenes, which makes the situation even more difficult for investigators. It was a crazy chase with a high drama shootout and thoughts and prayers for the innocent people affected by the incident.
https://apnews.com/f14104d682c609e496e8372a20b457ca

N583JB

Re: Police Chase Involving UPS Truck Ends in Shootout

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:56 am

Feel terrible for the UPS driver and for the innocent motorist who was killed. Personally I think those officers were a bit reckless in how they opened fire on the stolen truck.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am

Probably one of the craziest chases of all time and would be a good one for Sheriff John Bunnell's Worlds Wildest Police Videos if it was still running.

alfa164

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:15 am

1) Florida

2) Proliferation of guns

'nuf said.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 am

N583JB wrote:
Feel terrible for the UPS driver and for the innocent motorist who was killed. Personally I think those officers were a bit reckless in how they opened fire on the stolen truck.

Agreed. Those cops need to hang. They are not above the law.

WarRI1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:20 am

I guess you had to be there. Judge not!
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

dmg626

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:21 am

Tough job for the cops, sometimes it doesn’t end well. Let’s place the blame on where it belongs, the 2 robbers were the ones who caused all of this.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:24 am

dmg626 wrote:
Tough job for the cops, sometimes it doesn’t end well. Let’s place the blame on where it belongs, the 2 robbers were the ones who caused all of this.

Do you excuse cops that get the wrong address and kill innocent people?

Do you think cops are above the law?

WarRI1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:27 am

dmg626 wrote:

Exactly.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:36 am

WarRI1 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Exactly.

If someone starts a forest fire is it ok if I go and throw gasoline on it? I didn't start it so I'm innocent, right?

WarRI1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:41 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Exactly.

If someone starts a forest fire is it ok if I go and throw gasoline on it? I didn't start it so I'm innocent, right?

Not even a close comparison, as I said you had to be there to judge so vehemently. I was not, so I try to imagine how you refrain from firing on these guys when it all comes apart after such a chase, your adrenaline is pumping, you are high on it. More than likely some of these guys have seen combat.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:49 am

WarRI1 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Exactly.

Not even a close comparison, as I said you had to be there to judge so vehemently. I was not, so I try to imagine how you refrain from firing on these guys when it all comes apart after such a chase, your adrenaline is pumping, you are high on it. More than likely some of these guys have seen combat.

Ok. It seems you are only a champion of civil rights unless it involves the police. These people and their families didn't deserve this. It was absolutely reckless. This is why many cities do not allow police to chase suspects. Why add to the body count?

CaptHadley

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Agreed. Those cops need to hang. They are not above the law.

Ok, I want a detailed account of why these officers should "hang" Give me the exact reason, not because they're "reckless" Give me the step by step from the time of the carjacking until the end. I do not want your perspective of this incident, I want the exact reason why they should "hang" I have not seen any video of this incident, nor have I read any detailed, in depth reporting of it. You obviously have to reach such a conclusion. So I am all eyes, tell me everything the officers did from the initial carjacking until the end and what errors they did along the way. Tell me what the offenders did, their actions during this event, as well as the officers actions during this event. I want details, not generalizations.

WarRI1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Ok. It seems you are only a champion of civil rights unless it involves the police. These people and their families didn't deserve this. It was absolutely reckless. This is why many cities do not allow police to chase suspects. Why add to the body count?

As a Father and Grandfather of course I know it is a horrible tragedy and something I fear happening to anyone's children, especially innocent bystanders. My argument is let it all come out, there are no winners in this debacle and we cannot imagine being in such a spot. Everyone's lives were changed, never to be normal again in this tragedy.

NIKV69

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:46 am

N583JB wrote:

I believe the two fleeing felons opened fire on the police first. Personally I don't think those two were going to be taken alive. No hostage negotiator would have talked them out. They would have put a gun to the head of the driver and fled if police cleared the traffic. In that situation law enforcement reacted to the situation. If you want to blame someone for the innocent bystanders deaths blame the two that caused the shootout not the police. It's getting old.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

kaminari

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:20 am

The bystander killed was a very nice man. He was a field rep for the union that represents various Broward County employees including the airside operations and maintenance staff at FLL.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:56 am

kaminari wrote:
The bystander killed was a very nice man. He was a field rep for the union that represents various Broward County employees including the airside operations and maintenance staff at FLL.

Thank you for the update. This was a good person who had their life cut short due to recklessness and negligence. No one should have to suffer such a fate but since he was a well-known member of the community it may help raise awareness to the cold-hearted actions of the police.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:02 am

I literally cannot keep up with all of the mass shootings these days. I’m sure by tomorrow or Monday there will be a bigger one and this one won’t be remembered.

dmg626

Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:47 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
kaminari wrote:

Thank you for the update. This was a good person who had their life cut short due to recklessness and negligence. No one should have to suffer such a fate but since he was a well-known member of the community it may help raise awareness to the cold-hearted actions of the police.

He was killed because 2 criminals decided to commit a robbery and not be apprehended at all costs. The police weren’t driving around looking for people to shoot.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:04 am

dmg626 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
kaminari wrote:

He was killed because 2 criminals decided to commit a robbery and not be apprehended at all costs. The police weren’t driving around looking for people to shoot.

Then why have many cities forbidden police chases? It isn't worth the risk of putting innocent people at risk. Would you be ok with the state executing the wrong person? If not, why are you ok with allowing the police to kill the wrong people? It's the government doing the killing in both scenarios. But at least in the case of the death penalty it goes through many trials and involves judges, attorneys, and juries. But you are ok with one cop killing someone without any sort of due process?

JJJ

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

I believe the two fleeing felons opened fire on the police first. Personally I don't think those two were going to be taken alive.

It didn't have to happen then and there.

Sometimes you have to let the criminals go a little further so you can engage them in your terms.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:43 am

There will be a through investigation of this hopefully with a number of agencies to determine the sequence of events. It is possible the UPS driver was killed by the thieves. Hopefully the driver was in the Teamster's Union and his family will get some benefits from the Union and from the contractual ones from UPS like life insurance.
As to the chase, I have long believed, especially since the infamous 'low speed' chase of OJ Simpson in 1995, that police departments should ban all news helicopters from covering them as just encourages more such chases, endangers the public, often causes bad police decisions or correct ones to be questioned.

extender

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 am

JJJ wrote:
Sometimes you have to let the criminals go a little further so you can engage them in your terms.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The two perps, had been willing to use violence, letting them go a little further to engage them could have meant more collateral damage. When the fight is on, it is on, and you end it it decisively so.

JJJ

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:10 pm

extender wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The two perps, had been willing to use violence, letting them go a little further to engage them could have meant more collateral damage. When the fight is on, it is on, and you end it it decisively so.

And now two innocent people are dead.

Yay for Miami cops.

Since law enforcement officers are above criticism by mere mortals let's just quote Miami-Dade former chief police: "if you're shooting into a truck and you don't have clear vision of who you're shooting at, you just don't shoot at the truck.

petertenthije

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:16 pm

dmg626 wrote:
The police weren’t driving around looking for people to shoot.
Absolutely true... but, having seen the footage, neither where the police trying real hard to avoid shooting innocent bystanders, or even other police officers.

The police had the van surrounded and shooting from all directions. With other cars between the police and the UPS truck. You can see police officers using the civilian cars as shield... wit the driver still in the car!

For those that have not seen the chase. Here’s a link to it on a Dutch site. It has the original commentary from a US news helicopter,
https://legacy.dumpert.nl/mediabase/780 ... drama.html
Attamottamotta!

scbriml

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

JJJ wrote:
And now two innocent people are dead.

They’re just collateral damage. It’s all the criminals’ fault. :sarcastic:

petertenthije wrote:
The police had the van surrounded and shooting from all directions. With other cars between the police and the UPS truck. You can see police officers using the civilian cars as shield... wit the driver still in the car!

Pretty shocking disregarding the safety of all those innocent people. I always thought the idea was “to serve and protect”?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

extender

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:26 pm

JJJ wrote:
Yay for Miami cops.

You sure about that? There were Miami-Dade, City of Miramar PD and FHP that discharged their weapons. So please try to be factual, instead of all em

johns624

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:58 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Then why have many cities forbidden police chases?
That's for minor offenses. I don't know of any that would forbid it when there is an innocent hostage involved.

JJJ

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:13 pm

extender wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Yay for Miami cops.

You sure about that? There were Miami-Dade, City of Miramar PD and FHP that discharged their weapons. So please try to be factual, instead of all em

So? Are those innocents any less dead because the cops came from one jurisdiction or another?

Redd

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:11 pm

The Police should've backed off. That UPS truck was completely surrounded by innocent bystanders. Let the damn helicopter follow the car and wait for a safe opportunity to surround the suspects. Quite simple really. Is this a good place to start a shootout? No? Okay, let's wait, job done.

johns624 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

That's for minor offenses. I don't know of any that would forbid it when there is an innocent hostage involved.

So the hostage may live?

par13del

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:36 pm

I guess the two questions for the professionals and the experts are:
1. Was it more dangerous to the travelling public to stop or attempt to stop the vehicle on the freeway or major roads outside of traffic
2. Was it more dangerous to the travelling public to have the vehicle come to a halt in traffic and the suspects start taking additional hostages

If it was a police helicopter tracking and they were in communication with the ground units they would have seen the traffic jam approaching.

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:15 pm

johns624 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Well apparently the police don't care if the hostage actually makes it out alive. They just wanted a shootout and screw anyone else that their bullets hit. They don't care that they killed two innocent people. They have a cool story to tell their family and friends. Cops are never sorry for killing the innocent. If they were they would be begging for forgiveness and ready to accept any consequences for their actions. Just like Amber Guyger was only sorry because she got convicted.

CaptHadley

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:04 pm

TTailedTiger,

Are you going to answer my original question or just put your fingers in your ears going "na na na" Yeah, didn't think so...

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
TTailedTiger,

Are you going to answer my original question or just put your fingers in your ears going "na na na" Yeah, didn't think so...

I did. They intentionally opened fire knowing they were going to endanger innocent lives. That's a crime if anyone else did it. Cops are not above the law. You're just mad because cops are finally being held accountable for their actions. I'm thrilled that we put four in prison this year.

N583JB

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:15 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
TTailedTiger,

I did. They intentionally opened fire knowing they were going to endanger innocent lives. That's a crime if anyone else did it. Cops are not above the law. You're just mad because cops are finally being held accountable for their actions. I'm thrilled that we put four in prison this year.

Actually, they are above some laws. That's why they are allowed to speed, proceed (carefully) through red lights, pull people over, detain people against their will, and use physical force against people in some circumstances. You or I don't have those privileges.

N583JB

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:29 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
N583JB wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Are you ignoring the cops that have been convicted for doing just that? Many jurisdictions that don't pay a lot are forced to accept substandard applicants. A report in California was released and 100+ active police officers had criminal records at the time they were hired. There are plenty of cops on video who got physically violent just because they got their feelings hurt. A Saratoga Springs cop assaulted a man who flipped him off. He was only fired and didn't face any criminal charges. It's disgusting.

You realize that there are close to a million police officers in the United States, right? In a group that large there are always going to be bad actors. Condemning an entire group based on the actions of a tiny minority of that group is wrong and is no different than arguing that all Muslims are terrorists because we saw 19 of them kill 3,000 people on live TV in recent memory.

How is that any worse than cops treating us all as the enemy? They are ready to blow our heads of at any time.

They really aren't. I have plenty of friends who are police officers and have worked with police officers many times in the past. There are a few morons in any group but by and large they are honorable people just trying their best to do a challenging job for a modest paycheck.

petertenthije

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:06 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
The end result is no cops were killed, two bad guys are probably right now in rigor mortis, yeah couple people got killed as well. Collateral damage, unfortunately it happens sometimes.
If that is really how you think about the events that happened, then I can perfectly understand why large parts of the USA have little faith in their police force.
Attamottamotta!

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:31 pm

petertenthije wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
The end result is no cops were killed, two bad guys are probably right now in rigor mortis, yeah couple people got killed as well. Collateral damage, unfortunately it happens sometimes.
If that is really how you think about the events that happened, then I can perfectly understand why large parts of the USA have little faith in their police force.

Exactly. A couple of innocent people being killed is no big deal to him. It's so messed up.

CaptHadley

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm trying to look at it thru TTailedNaught glasses. Now see, if the UPS driver had been armed, all of this would be a mute point. I can kind of lay some blame on the driver. It is Florida, he would have had the "Stand your ground" defense to fall back on just in case. And yes, a couple people got killed, but the best part is the two robbers were killed, saving the taxpayers of Florida the cost of the trials, appeals, housing them. That is a savings I can tell you.

petertenthije

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:18 am

CaptHadley wrote:
And yes, a couple people got killed, but the best part is the two robbers were killed, saving the taxpayers of Florida the cost of the trials, appeals, housing them. That is a savings I can tell you.
You’re not really doing yourself, or the police force in general, any favours by kind a shrugging off two casualties because a lot of money was saved.

Not to mention that the police are not appointed to be judge, jury and executioner... regardless of how obvious someone’s guilt is. That’s a dangerous slippery slope you should never come close to.
Attamottamotta!

TTailedTiger

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:21 am

Several police departments across the US have condemned the actions of these cops. There was absolutely no reason for the way they handled this.

dmg626

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:29 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Several police departments across the US have condemned the actions of these cops. There was absolutely no reason for the way they handled this.

What departments were those?

TTailedTiger

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:36 am

dmg626 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What departments were those?

A homicide Sargeant in Missouri was very critical of them. I'd say say she is able to speak on the subject.

dmg626

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 am

Is there a link to a story or is this the friend of a friend ?

TTailedTiger

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:28 am

dmg626 wrote:

Is the Washington Post good enough for you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... n-avoided/

dmg626

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:41 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Is the Washington Post good enough for you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... n-avoided/

Her credentials seem impeccable, head of the ethical society. I would think any police organization would not be passing judgment on what happened until all the facts are in. You found one person to side with you, therefor you must be correct

NIKV69

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:07 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

They didn't open fire. the two fleeing felons did. At least get the story right jeez. :sarcastic:
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

TTailedTiger

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

They didn't open fire. the two fleeing felons did. At least get the story right jeez. :sarcastic:

Do you believe in limited government? I do. That means not involving me and other innocent people in police situations. If someone gets away then so be it. It's not worth endangering more people.

N583JB

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:03 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Do you believe in limited government? I do. That means not involving me and other innocent people in police situations. If someone gets away then so be it. It's not worth endangering more people.

Yeah that's not how it works. The police can't just let armed gunmen who have a hostage and who have already shot one person "get away". Without a police tail the gunmen could have very easily gone to a school or daycare and taken 20 more hostages.

JJJ

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:24 pm

N583JB wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yeah that's not how it works. The police can't just let armed gunmen who have a hostage and who have already shot one person "get away".

No one is talking about letting anyone go away but it is the police responsibility to engage exclusively when there's zero or close to zero chance for innocent casualties.

Shooting from the cover of occupied vehicles in a traffic jam is the absolute opposite of that.