User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Greta Thunberg


Image


https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/media/ti ... index.html
""We describe it as the person who influenced the years' events most, for better or for worse. But I really think of it as Time is about the people and ideas that shape the world and Person of the Year is about the people who shaped the year," Felsenthal told CNN Business in an interview this week."



The Runner Up's were: The shortlist this year included Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, The Whistleblower and the Hong Kong protestors.

I am sure Greta is controversial, and that is to be expected since when you look at the historical list, there have been many controversial rather than appreciated choices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year


If Time was US centrist , I would have expected the Whistleblower to make it.


Were there any more deserving folks this year? Perhaps the Aviation Authorities that Banned the 737 Max?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm of course extremely bias that HK Protesters should have won. HK Protesters also won by a mile on Time's own Reader Poll. If anything, IMHO it should have been "The Protesters" that win the award, ranging from HK (Of course) to Chile to Catalonia to Iraq to even those XR protesters.

Saying HK Protesters make no impact to the world? Ask a Catalonia protesters about blocking BCN, or a Chilean using HK Protesters' "Be Water" Tactic.

Greta for me is heavily overhyped. Her so-call "impact" consist more of outrage from the right than actual real efforts on battling climate change. She did what? Whine and whine more?

Hack...if HK protesters lose to Trump (Who, for better or worse, dominates headline) or even BTS (Who do real works on making an impact to the society in addition to, well, being a very popular band), I'm fine. But Greta is nothing more than a glorified PC choice being the least offensive of the Top 5.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3597
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:44 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
I'm of course extremely bias that HK Protesters should have won. HK Protesters also lead by miles in online polls. If anything, IMHO it should have been "The Protesters" that win the award, ranging from HK (Of course) to Chile to Catalonia to Iraq to even those XR protesters.

Greta for me is heavily overhyped. Her so-call "impact" consist more of outrage from the right than actual real efforts on battling climate change. She did what? Whine and whine more?

:checkmark:
+1 - couldn't have said it any better myself
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14506
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:39 pm

The choice of Ms. Thunberg is a 'safe' one and considering her encouraging young persons around the world to be more active as to dealing with human factors in global climate change is to me a good one. She is part of a larger international movement and not just one centered in the USA.
Saluting the HK or other protesters would have made it more difficult for Time to report on China, or likely a fear of more difficulty. As to not choosing President Trump, he get enough attention on his own and would see this as an 'honor' he doesn't deserve.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12944
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm

extender wrote:
Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.


How about one of those brave souls storming the strongholds of terrorists and capturing or killing them. Including the brave Dog wounded in the explosion? I guess all you have to do is wave your finger at the US and threaten us because we drive normally aspirated cars.

What a joke.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:01 pm

I suspected who it was before I clicked on the OP thread. I wasn't disappointed. OK, boomers post your disappointment and get over it. Congratulations Greta this is your moment in time, to raise awareness.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18145
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
extender wrote:
Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.


How about one of those brave souls storming the strongholds of terrorists and capturing or killing them. Including the brave Dog wounded in the explosion? I guess all you have to do is wave your finger at the US and threaten us because we drive normally aspirated cars.

What a joke.


I’m shocked by these reactions. Shocked I tell you! :liar:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17804
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 pm

...and predictably old white men lose their remaining marbles. To wit:
NIKV69 wrote:
extender wrote:
Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.


How about one of those brave souls storming the strongholds of terrorists and capturing or killing them. Including the brave Dog wounded in the explosion? I guess all you have to do is wave your finger at the US and threaten us because we drive normally aspirated cars.

What a joke.
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7768
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I think this is the first time I have ever been disappointed in the choice.

I get that Time's PotY is supposed to be someone who dominated headlines (for better or for worse), but I still think Greta is not the person. Certainly a top contender, I'll give her that. But the protesters around the world and the whistleblowers (not just in the US) probably have had more impact on news.

Again, Greta supports a noble cause and I applaud her for that. I just think she's the wrong messenger and is not using her platform with the right message either.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm

shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet.

So what if her voice is irritating to some, so what if she has Asperger’s, it's allowing her to be more direct and straightforward about climate change. She's now an icon. She's not alone young people are very concerned about the climate crisis and ecological crisis, and in politics, they have no say.
 
dmg626
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Time Magazine is still in publication ?
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17804
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet.

So what if her voice is irritating to some, so what if she has Asperger’s, it's allowing her to be more direct and straightforward about climate change. She's now an icon. She's not alone young people are very concerned about the climate crisis and ecological crisis, and in politics, they have no say.

Including a solid majority of young republicans, which poses an interesting issue for the neanderthals of the party:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-envi ... SKCN1VJ17V
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10655
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Oh gee, everybody understands that it is not the cause, it is not a moral judgment being made, it is not to honor the Time person of the year. I mean a small peak to previous "winners" will reveal what I mean.

Greta Thunberg had an impact this year, so why not?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1926
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Love the tears from the expected parties. I don’t really care about Greta but it’s great to see the people always calling others triggered/snowflakes to be so triggered themselves.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet.

So what if her voice is irritating to some, so what if she has Asperger’s, it's allowing her to be more direct and straightforward about climate change. She's now an icon. She's not alone young people are very concerned about the climate crisis and ecological crisis, and in politics, they have no say.
''

Exactly! The impact made by this kid cannot be ignored...and now, with this award, she's on steroids!

She's on a noble and virtuous mission!

Go Greta, Go!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
TSS
Posts: 3485
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:07 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I suspected who it was before I clicked on the OP thread. I wasn't disappointed. OK, boomers post your disappointment and get over it. Congratulations Greta this is your moment in time, to raise awareness.


And by all means, pay no attention to all the people behind the curtain pulling her strings!

MaverickM11 wrote:
...and predictably old white men lose their remaining marbles. To wit:
NIKV69 wrote:
extender wrote:
Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.


How about one of those brave souls storming the strongholds of terrorists and capturing or killing them. Including the brave Dog wounded in the explosion? I guess all you have to do is wave your finger at the US and threaten us because we drive normally aspirated cars.

What a joke.


Having an opinion and "losing one's remaining marbles" are not the same thing. If anything, the unabashed loss of remaining marbles seems to be experienced by the more "progressive" members of this forum any time ANY criticism of Ms. Thunberg, however legitimate or justified it might be, gets raised.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:18 am

Time Magazine has a history of picking a person or topic right at the peak of the theme or fad.
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 am

TSS wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Having an opinion and "losing one's remaining marbles" are not the same thing. If anything, the unabashed loss of remaining marbles seems to be experienced by the more "progressive" members of this forum any time ANY criticism of Ms. Thunberg, however legitimate or justified it might be, gets raised.


Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
alfa164
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:43 am

BN747 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet. So what if her voice is irritating to some, so what if she has Asperger’s, it's allowing her to be more direct and straightforward about climate change. She's now an icon. She's not alone young people are very concerned about the climate crisis and ecological crisis, and in politics, they have no say.
''

Exactly! The impact made by this kid cannot be ignored...and now, with this award, she's on steroids! She's on a noble and virtuous mission! Go Greta, Go!


In an era when old and seasoned men are afraid to speak truth to power, a 16-year-old steps up and challenges us all to do what we should already know has to be done - to save the future of this planet for our grandchildren and their grandchildren.

It is an uncomfortable admission for too many people, but, hopefully, her message will awaken us to our responsibilities. Never has the phrase "The future is in your hands" held such an important meaning.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:11 am

alfa164 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet. So what if her voice is irritating to some, so what if she has Asperger’s, it's allowing her to be more direct and straightforward about climate change. She's now an icon. She's not alone young people are very concerned about the climate crisis and ecological crisis, and in politics, they have no say.
''

Exactly! The impact made by this kid cannot be ignored...and now, with this award, she's on steroids! She's on a noble and virtuous mission! Go Greta, Go!


In an era when old and seasoned men are afraid to speak truth to power, a 16-year-old steps up and challenges us all to do what we should already know has to be done - to save the future of this planet for our grandchildren and their grandchildren.

It is an uncomfortable admission for too many people, but, hopefully, her message will awaken us to our responsibilities. Never has the phrase "The future is in your hands" held such an important meaning.



Bravo alfa164!

And you struck the heart of all their animus towards this kid...she's taken on a mission of global awareness and these clowns are trashing her for everything BUT 'climate-related reasons.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:14 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Time Magazine has a history of picking a person or topic right at the peak of the theme or fad.


Time... the same interests that bring you People Magazine.

That tells you what you need to know.

Greta is as irrelevant as Al Gore.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Time Magazine has a history of picking a person or topic right at the peak of the theme or fad.


Time... the same interests that bring you People Magazine.

That tells you what you need to know.

Greta is as irrelevant as Al Gore.


And she has millions more followers/likes/thumbs up than you do in every shape or form of social media that partake.

As far as the Global Climate debate goes...I'd say your reach ends here - hers?...try around the planet and Gaining! - now who's irrelevant?


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7768
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:49 am

BN747 wrote:
Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747

You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).

Should we tackle the problem? Yes. Better to be safe than sorry while becoming energy efficient. But what Ms. Thunberg fails to consider (and it's easy to when everything is "free") is that nations have different priorities at the moment. While international agreements can be made, it has to be delicately balanced with economic interest. The US can switch off all its oil refineries and coal plants tomorrow, but there goes our power supply and thousands, if not millions, of jobs (and those are just the direct jobs).

The US has spent trillions in war machinery and could divert that money to climate change. Yes, but channeling trillions from one industry to another immediately is a bait and switch because while you prop up one industry you've just potentially destroyed another (whether war machinery needs to exist is a separate argument).

Finally (and I can't stress this enough): first impressions should not be the only ones, but there are instances where it's enough. I don't care about her OCD/selective mutism. I don't care that she's a girl or a teenager. What I do care is that her initial impression was not a favorable one (for me). You were born and raised in a country with a high quality of life and you have the nerve to say that your childhood was stolen from you? Just exactly how did the bad guys at the UN steal her childhood? And why is this such a pressing issue but not world hunger or refugees? Are you really telling me that a 16 year old Syrian or Yemeni or Kurd has had it easier than her?

It was the wrong message sent from the wrong person. Give me someone from an island country (Maldives, Tuvalu, Kiribati...) whose homes are threatened by rising sea water. Give me someone from a place with glaciers that have retreated significantly (and therefore threatens their water supply). Give me someone from Sudan or Ethiopia or Somalia where the drought has caused hardship. THOSE would have a much better claim to say "you stole my childhood with your inaction on climate change".

But sure...call people with a different opinion names. That helps win arguments all the time.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:17 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747

You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).


That's all that I needed to hear...if you as qualified on the subject matter as you stated...I'm surprised that you are here discussing her in this manner.

Using your measure of knowledge (of the subject) vs Thunbergs.. is kind of shameful.

It's like ripped up solid muscled gym rat belittling a scrawny 15 year old girl over physique as she speaks about health.

Muscle dudes don't walk around flexing every second to scare you away or show off his physique...he knows everyone can see them and good enough for his confidence.
The ones who are not confident in those shoes are usually the bad eggs because must announce their presence.

Thunberg is a child...we ALL know that any meteorologist worth their salt have a stronger foundation on the knowledge of climates.

Thunberg holds a great deal of sway among many in her generation and the ones to follow.
She largely speaks to them in a manner you (and other meteorologists cannot)...she holds their attention, she is conveying to them that 'you are not to young to be heard, take up a cause and stand by it'
She sounds a clarion horn to her demographic as Kennedy did with 'Do not ask what your country can do for you...'that gives them something to focus on other than video games - she drawing them away if just for five minutes, chats about her from friends, etc.
kind, She's just a child, no messiah of any thing...just a messenger to plant a powerful lasting seed in the minds on the younger.

You don't like the messenger - fine. You find her messenging rather mitigated by ignorance (compared to you)..that's okay too.

But she is lighting a match to a rocket that you professionals can boost even further by making the necessary corrections/adjustments as they learn...she is not a detriment, she is indeed an ally to the Climate Cause. It is a cause that needs ALL the help it can get.

She's doing her part and then some.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:12 am

BN747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Time Magazine has a history of picking a person or topic right at the peak of the theme or fad.


Time... the same interests that bring you People Magazine.

That tells you what you need to know.

Greta is as irrelevant as Al Gore.


And she has millions more followers/likes/thumbs up than you do in every shape or form of social media that partake.

As far as the Global Climate debate goes...I'd say your reach ends here - hers?...try around the planet and Gaining! - now who's irrelevant?


BN747


As an evangelist for Climate Hysteria, I'd say she's doing an okay job.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:16 am

ltbewr wrote:
The choice of Ms. Thunberg is a 'safe' one and considering her encouraging young persons around the world to be more active


While i do think that the HK protesters should have been on the cover, you nailed why people on the right hate her so much. If young people start going to the polls, they are toast.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6129
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 am

It's meant to be a controversial* pick. Had they chosen someone more deserving (Hong Kong protesters), it would not make the headlines.

*Time has chosen Yuri Andropov to be the "Man of the Year" in 1983 after this paranoid KGB thug nearly started WW3.
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:53 am

tommy1808 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The choice of Ms. Thunberg is a 'safe' one and considering her encouraging young persons around the world to be more active


While i do think that the HK protesters should have been on the cover, you nailed why people on the right hate her so much. If young people start going to the polls, they are toast.

best regards
Thomas


Agreed on both points!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:00 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
It's meant to be a controversial* pick. Had they chosen someone more deserving (Hong Kong protesters), it would not make the headlines.

*Time has chosen Yuri Andropov to be the "Man of the Year" in 1983 after this paranoid KGB thug nearly started WW3.


by unilaterally offering to reduce the number of SS20 to 162 missiles, matching what the UK And France had i guess....
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12483
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:13 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
I'm of course extremely bias that HK Protesters should have won. HK Protesters also won by a mile on Time's own Reader Poll. If anything, IMHO it should have been "The Protesters" that win the award, ranging from HK (Of course) to Chile to Catalonia to Iraq to even those XR protesters.

Saying HK Protesters make no impact to the world? Ask a Catalonia protesters about blocking BCN, or a Chilean using HK Protesters' "Be Water" Tactic.

Greta for me is heavily overhyped. Her so-call "impact" consist more of outrage from the right than actual real efforts on battling climate change. She did what? Whine and whine more?

Hack...if HK protesters lose to Trump (Who, for better or worse, dominates headline) or even BTS (Who do real works on making an impact to the society in addition to, well, being a very popular band), I'm fine. But Greta is nothing more than a glorified PC choice being the least offensive of the Top 5.


Gold star post.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12483
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 am

NIKV69 wrote:
extender wrote:
Another miss by Time. Total bupkis. The HK protestors should receive it, but that goes against the narrative.


How about one of those brave souls storming the strongholds of terrorists and capturing or killing them. Including the brave Dog wounded in the explosion? I guess all you have to do is wave your finger at the US and threaten us because we drive normally aspirated cars.

What a joke.


The best selling model of the best selling vehicle in the US is turbo charged.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12483
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:29 am

BN747 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747

You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).


That's all that I needed to hear...if you as qualified on the subject matter as you stated...I'm surprised that you are here discussing her in this manner.

Using your measure of knowledge (of the subject) vs Thunbergs.. is kind of shameful.

It's like ripped up solid muscled gym rat belittling a scrawny 15 year old girl over physique as she speaks about health.

Muscle dudes don't walk around flexing every second to scare you away or show off his physique...he knows everyone can see them and good enough for his confidence.
The ones who are not confident in those shoes are usually the bad eggs because must announce their presence.

Thunberg is a child...we ALL know that any meteorologist worth their salt have a stronger foundation on the knowledge of climates.

Thunberg holds a great deal of sway among many in her generation and the ones to follow.
She largely speaks to them in a manner you (and other meteorologists cannot)...she holds their attention, she is conveying to them that 'you are not to young to be heard, take up a cause and stand by it'
She sounds a clarion horn to her demographic as Kennedy did with 'Do not ask what your country can do for you...'that gives them something to focus on other than video games - she drawing them away if just for five minutes, chats about her from friends, etc.
kind, She's just a child, no messiah of any thing...just a messenger to plant a powerful lasting seed in the minds on the younger.

You don't like the messenger - fine. You find her messenging rather mitigated by ignorance (compared to you)..that's okay too.

But she is lighting a match to a rocket that you professionals can boost even further by making the necessary corrections/adjustments as they learn...she is not a detriment, she is indeed an ally to the Climate Cause. It is a cause that needs ALL the help it can get.

She's doing her part and then some.

BN747


You retort shows you completely missed einsteins point.

She's the wrong person, from the wrong country, to be making the comments she's making, most people outside the millennial generation understand this.
 
BN747
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:34 am

Kiwirob wrote:
BN747 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).


That's all that I needed to hear...if you as qualified on the subject matter as you stated...I'm surprised that you are here discussing her in this manner.

Using your measure of knowledge (of the subject) vs Thunbergs.. is kind of shameful.

It's like ripped up solid muscled gym rat belittling a scrawny 15 year old girl over physique as she speaks about health.

Muscle dudes don't walk around flexing every second to scare you away or show off his physique...he knows everyone can see them and good enough for his confidence.
The ones who are not confident in those shoes are usually the bad eggs because must announce their presence.

Thunberg is a child...we ALL know that any meteorologist worth their salt have a stronger foundation on the knowledge of climates.

Thunberg holds a great deal of sway among many in her generation and the ones to follow.
She largely speaks to them in a manner you (and other meteorologists cannot)...she holds their attention, she is conveying to them that 'you are not to young to be heard, take up a cause and stand by it'
She sounds a clarion horn to her demographic as Kennedy did with 'Do not ask what your country can do for you...'that gives them something to focus on other than video games - she drawing them away if just for five minutes, chats about her from friends, etc.
kind, She's just a child, no messiah of any thing...just a messenger to plant a powerful lasting seed in the minds on the younger.

You don't like the messenger - fine. You find her messenging rather mitigated by ignorance (compared to you)..that's okay too.

But she is lighting a match to a rocket that you professionals can boost even further by making the necessary corrections/adjustments as they learn...she is not a detriment, she is indeed an ally to the Climate Cause. It is a cause that needs ALL the help it can get.

She's doing her part and then some.

BN747


You retort shows you completely missed einsteins point.

She's the wrong person, from the wrong country,.....


Sayz' who?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:07 am

Kiwirob wrote:
She's the wrong person, from the wrong country, to be making the comments she's making, most people outside the millennial generation understand this.


Most people outside the Millennial generation and younger means a rather unimpressive minority. Millennials and younger also begin to dominate the world in terms of purchasing power, the crossover point is in a year or two....they already have more than Baby Boomers (BB: ~10 Trillion, GenX: ~14 Trillion, MI: ~14 Trillion, P-MI: ~6 Trillion) and about another year or two later Post Millenials will outearn Boomers and Millenials will outearn Boomers by a factor of two.

So you are saying that an economically increasingly irrelevant minority on the way of becoming politically irrelevant in the few remaining countries where they are not already, join you in your dislike.

I am Generation X, and compared to post-Millennials of the same age my generation was downright stupid in almost every way. You, i and all the Boomers are end of life models during our phase out.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
bgm
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:43 am

Greta really seems to rile up crusty old white men with surprising ease.

That’s just the icing on the cake.

Listen Boomers, pay attention to her message vs the girl herself. You’re so caught up in your attempt at character assassination that you’re not seeing the bigger picture.
OK boomer.
 
Redd
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:10 am

bgm wrote:
Greta really seems to rile up crusty old white men with surprising ease.



I'm surprised by how she manages to get all of this hero-worship from the beta soy boys.

Kiwirob wrote:

You retort shows you completely missed einsteins point.

She's the wrong person, from the wrong country, to be making the comments she's making, most people outside the millennial generation understand this.


:checkmark:
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:58 am

She is a sock puppet. Nothing but a mouthpiece that works the soy boys into a lather. She is fair game for all the criticism she gets.
 
bgm
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:05 pm

extender wrote:
She is a sock puppet. Nothing but a mouthpiece that works the soy boys into a lather. She is fair game for all the criticism she gets.


Soy boy? Really? This just clearly shows that you obviously don’t feel comfortable enough with your masculinity.

Nothing says macho like beating a 16 year old girl. You must be so proud!
OK boomer.
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 5003
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I, for one, am glad the HK protesters did not get it. But before the flak cannons start firing:

The coverage of the protests in the West has been quite on the idealistic side. It is no surprise, after all, as it is mostly comprised of countries that largely favor democratic systems.
But the reality has been a lot more nuanced than this. There has been a very ugly side of the protests, starting with the extreme violent turn it took when protesters killed an innocent man trying to clear obstructions from a road and almost killed another two. The footage of a man being set on fire for arguing with protesters is unfortunately still vivid in my memory...

Then there's the widespread destruction of property and vandalism, the unchecked mob mentality which made the city a dangerous place for anybody who dared voiced an opinion against the protests. In their unrealistic demand for democracy, the protesters managed to impose a reign of terror worse than many autocracies.
The movement never organised itself in a way that negotiations could take place and ensured that a resolution could not and will not be found. It lacks pragmatism and is very emotional, it fails to understand HK's position and leverage. Ultimately, it still very much risks destroying Hong Kong's future altogether.

All revolutions have an ugly side, but the issue with this one is that it sets itself up to fail, possibly with disastrous consequences for HK itself.

Now fire away...


As for Greta, good for her. She is indeed irritating, but I guess that's what it takes nowadays for the urgency of climate change to be heard in the face of a ruling class that eschews science and facts to put greed and corporate interests front center stage.
She also has 10 times the b*lls of those who love to rail against her from their armchairs.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm

bgm wrote:
Soy boy? Really? This just clearly shows that you obviously don’t feel comfortable enough with your masculinity.

Nothing says macho like beating a 16 year old girl. You must be so proud!


Perfectly comfortable. Point made. People that want to pawn themselves of on the sly as middle-of-the-road, yet gush themselves in reverent praise of Greta show their true colors. If she wants to be a mouthpiece, she accepts the accolades and the scorn alike. But like other things in today's world, it is all smoke and mirrors. A sock puppet, nothing more.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:47 pm

extender wrote:
bgm wrote:
Soy boy? Really? This just clearly shows that you obviously don’t feel comfortable enough with your masculinity.

Nothing says macho like beating a 16 year old girl. You must be so proud!


Perfectly comfortable. Point made. People that want to pawn themselves of on the sly as middle-of-the-road, yet gush themselves in reverent praise of Greta show their true colors. .


Yup, its called "being sane", what climate change deniers are not.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Not going along with your opinion is not substantiation for sanity. The ability to think in a normal, rational behavior have nothing to do with climate change.
 
slider
Posts: 7485
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:34 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
shes a climate activist on a mission to save the planet.



She's a shill and an angry little puppet with radical Antifa parents who preach and pontificate doomsday to everyone needlessly. Another useful idiot for the envirocultists to use.

But yeah, please forget about the people LITERALLY fighting for their lives and liberty in Hong Kong. Fuck Time magazine.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 pm

extender wrote:
Not going along with your opinion is not substantiation for sanity.


Its not an opinion, its a fact. Denying facts in the face of overwhelming evidence is delusional, unless the majority of the society you life in shares that false believe, by definition. Check with your mental healthcare professional if you don´t trust my word on it.

Since a) there is overwhelming evidence and b) despite herculean PR and lobbying work even in the US climate change deniers are the minority by now, climate change deniers are crazy people. By definition.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:53 pm

You can sugar coat it any way you like Tommy, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Where the climate is constantly changing, that is the very definition of weather. The climate is always changing, but not so due to man's interactions with the planet. Historical evidence shows the Earth has gone through hot and cold cycles. That it doesn't fit your narrative, well, that is a tough break.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 pm

extender wrote:
You can sugar coat it any way you like Tommy, there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.


Nope, there is not. Its flat earther level crazy by now...

Where the climate is constantly changing, that is the very definition of weather.


:banghead: climate is the long term average of weather, in this case, on the global scale. You can't even get the most basic things right, like knowing the words you are using.

The climate is always changing, but not so due to man's interactions with the planet.


Assuming that because a) wasnt the reason for b) in the past, so it can't be the reason for b) in the future is a fallacy. For someone that claims to be logical it's amazing that you fail even basic logic.
It also is over geological timescale, not the orders of magnitude faster pace we see now. It can actually get colder, even a lot colder locally from average global temperatures going up.
I bet you 1000USD, if you agree to park it in a trustee account, that 2020 will be one of the hottest 10 years on record. Put your money where your mouth is. And before you waste your money, that is true for every single year in the last three decades. Not fair skimming cash of the delusional.

Historical evidence shows the Earth has gone through hot and cold cycles.


Fun fact: it doesn't. There where *local* hot and cold cycles, there where no *global* ones, other that from processes over geological timescales or punctual catastrophic events we can pinpoint. Who ever told you that load of crap is either a victim like you or lied to you.

That it doesn't fit your narrative, well, that is a tough break.


Most important your nonsene doesn't fit reality. Delusions...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
extender
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Delusional... Flat Earther... So you ridicule those that don't agree with you? Typical. Tough luck, keep yelling at the top of your lungs. Roll it all up and smoke it.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 11688
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm

extender wrote:
Delusional..


i am working of the textbook definition of "delusional",

That it doesn't fit your narrative, well, that is a tough break.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12483
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:00 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
extender wrote:
bgm wrote:
Soy boy? Really? This just clearly shows that you obviously don’t feel comfortable enough with your masculinity.

Nothing says macho like beating a 16 year old girl. You must be so proud!


Perfectly comfortable. Point made. People that want to pawn themselves of on the sly as middle-of-the-road, yet gush themselves in reverent praise of Greta show their true colors. .


Yup, its called "being sane", what climate change deniers are not.

Best regards
Thomas


Nobody here is denying climate change, at least I'm not, I just don't think we are going about it the right way, I believe we should be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to fight an unwinnable fight. I'm not going to be shamed by a Swede, if she was a Pacific Islander, you know someone who really will feel the impact of rising sea levels then I would take more notice. The only person stealing her childhood is her.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jouhou, Number6 and 155 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos