Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
extender wrote:

Perfectly comfortable. Point made. People that want to pawn themselves of on the sly as middle-of-the-road, yet gush themselves in reverent praise of Greta show their true colors. .

Yup, its called "being sane", what climate change deniers are not.

Best regards
Thomas

Nobody here is denying climate change, at least I'm not,

I know, but we do have plenty of them here as well.

I just don't think we are going about it the right way, I believe we should be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to fight an unwinnable fight.

This is an aviation forum, so brace for impact is the right approach. You do both.. try to prevent and try to keep the impact as little as possible.

I'm not going to be shamed by a Swede, if she was a Pacific Islander, you know someone who really will feel the impact of rising sea levels then I would take more notice. .

she has a fairly decent chance to live beyond 100 and get to see very real and very negative effects within her life time. You and i have a very reasonable expectation to be dead long before that. The difference between her and the pacific islander is real, but it may just be a few decades apart....
That her theoretic is over the top is certainly true.... but well... its her style, works on the majority of the people on the planet as you yourself have pointed out. If it works, its fine. She has freedom of speech too, and you don´t need to listen. I, for the most part, don´t either, but i can still agree with her on a lot of substance.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

bgm

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm

extender wrote:
Delusional... Flat Earther... So you ridicule those that don't agree with you? Typical. Tough luck, keep yelling at the top of your lungs. Roll it all up and smoke it.

Do you believe the earth is flat?
Hires only the best people... lol

alfa164

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point: Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that)..

I appreciate your understanding and your position; you, more than anyone else on this topic, understand the reality, the challenge, and potential devastation these changes are making to the earth we all must share. I am not so sure, though, that the young lady is "throwing away her education"; indeed, she is sharing what she has learned with a skeptical or dismissive world, and - with the uninhibited optimism of a young person who truly believes she can change the world - hoping her voice will encourage others to look at the facts and resolve to make the changes necessary for the survival of future generations.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Should we tackle the problem? Yes. Better to be safe than sorry while becoming energy efficient. But what Ms. Thunberg fails to consider (and it's easy to when everything is "free") is that nations have different priorities at the moment. While international agreements can be made, it has to be delicately balanced with economic interest. The US can switch off all its oil refineries and coal plants tomorrow, but there goes our power supply and thousands, if not millions, of jobs (and those are just the direct jobs). The US has spent trillions in war machinery and could divert that money to climate change. Yes, but channeling trillions from one industry to another immediately is a bait and switch because while you prop up one industry you've just potentially destroyed another (whether war machinery needs to exist is a separate argument).

I haven't heard anyone say that the US should "switch off all its refineries and coal plants tomorrow", but I do see a reluctance on the part of our current "leadership" - and I use that term advisedly - to even look at the potential of becoming a world leader in industries that would replace those plants, much less to actually inform policies that would encourage that growth. We are letting our short-term objectives outweigh our long-term needs (with great support from the lobbyists and political class with a vested interest in that, of course).

Instead, we are letting other countries - particularly China - take that role. That predicts a poor future for the USA.

einsteinboricua wrote:
It was the wrong message sent from the wrong person. Give me someone from an island country (Maldives, Tuvalu, Kiribati...) whose homes are threatened by rising sea water. Give me someone from a place with glaciers that have retreated significantly (and therefore threatens their water supply). Give me someone from Sudan or Ethiopia or Somalia where the drought has caused hardship. THOSE would have a much better claim to say "you stole my childhood with your inaction on climate change".

Kiwirob wrote:
She's the wrong person, from the wrong country, to be making the comments she's making, most people outside the millennial generation understand this.

It would be great if someone from from the Maldives or Tuvalu or Kiribati stepped up and called the world's attention to their plight - but no one has. With the dangers of climate change bearing down upon us, we can't be selective about the messinger. In truth, millions could be saying "you stole my childhood with your inaction on climate change" - and, in many places, young people have already taken to the streets to show their concern - but if Miss Thunberg is the one who has captured the ears of the media and of the world's political leaders, so be it.

Don't blame her for it. Blame our own political inaction.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
extender wrote:

Perfectly comfortable. Point made. People that want to pawn themselves of on the sly as middle-of-the-road, yet gush themselves in reverent praise of Greta show their true colors. .

Yup, its called "being sane", what climate change deniers are not.

Best regards
Thomas

Nobody here is denying climate change, at least I'm not, I just don't think we are going about it the right way, I believe we should be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to fight an unwinnable fight. I'm not going to be shamed by a Swede, if she was a Pacific Islander, you know someone who really will feel the impact of rising sea levels then I would take more notice. The only person stealing her childhood is her.

Maybe both prepare for the inevitable and, at the same time, fight an "unwinnable" fight? IIRC, Stockholm is on the water. Climate change leads to sea rise which will flood Stockholm. Like it will flood New York City, Seattle, Miami, Washington DC, Cabo, Rio, Sydney, etc. So, yes, she does have a reason to speak as loudly as she does. She will be on this planet longer than many of us, so there is a second reason she has every right to speak as loudly as she does.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:57 pm

The sable genius who uses the best words lashes out at Greta's "anger management" problem

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/politics ... index.html
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:15 pm

BN747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Time Magazine has a history of picking a person or topic right at the peak of the theme or fad.

Time... the same interests that bring you People Magazine.

That tells you what you need to know.

Greta is as irrelevant as Al Gore.

And she has millions more followers/likes/thumbs up than you do in every shape or form of social media that partake.

As far as the Global Climate debate goes...I'd say your reach ends here - hers?...try around the planet and Gaining! - now who's irrelevant?
BN747

You are basing this on social media metrics? Lol wow. I guess you think Logan Paul should have been in the running. He has over three times as many followers as Greta. But at least Logan has the self awareness to know that he is a joke.

BN747

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:22 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
BN747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Time... the same interests that bring you People Magazine.

That tells you what you need to know.

Greta is as irrelevant as Al Gore.

And she has millions more followers/likes/thumbs up than you do in every shape or form of social media that partake.

As far as the Global Climate debate goes...I'd say your reach ends here - hers?...try around the planet and Gaining! - now who's irrelevant?
BN747

You are basing this on social media metrics? Lol wow. I guess you think Logan Paul should have been in the running. He has over three times as many followers as Greta. But at least Logan has the self awareness to know that he is a joke.

Well there's someone unaware of what is swirling about young Greta...

...your Jelly is truly in full bloom.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Dieuwer

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:23 pm

"C'est Le Ton Qui Fait La Chanson"

flyguy89

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:26 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747

You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).

Should we tackle the problem? Yes. Better to be safe than sorry while becoming energy efficient. But what Ms. Thunberg fails to consider (and it's easy to when everything is "free") is that nations have different priorities at the moment. While international agreements can be made, it has to be delicately balanced with economic interest. The US can switch off all its oil refineries and coal plants tomorrow, but there goes our power supply and thousands, if not millions, of jobs (and those are just the direct jobs).

The US has spent trillions in war machinery and could divert that money to climate change. Yes, but channeling trillions from one industry to another immediately is a bait and switch because while you prop up one industry you've just potentially destroyed another (whether war machinery needs to exist is a separate argument).

Finally (and I can't stress this enough): first impressions should not be the only ones, but there are instances where it's enough. I don't care about her OCD/selective mutism. I don't care that she's a girl or a teenager. What I do care is that her initial impression was not a favorable one (for me). You were born and raised in a country with a high quality of life and you have the nerve to say that your childhood was stolen from you? Just exactly how did the bad guys at the UN steal her childhood? And why is this such a pressing issue but not world hunger or refugees? Are you really telling me that a 16 year old Syrian or Yemeni or Kurd has had it easier than her?

It was the wrong message sent from the wrong person. Give me someone from an island country (Maldives, Tuvalu, Kiribati...) whose homes are threatened by rising sea water. Give me someone from a place with glaciers that have retreated significantly (and therefore threatens their water supply). Give me someone from Sudan or Ethiopia or Somalia where the drought has caused hardship. THOSE would have a much better claim to say "you stole my childhood with your inaction on climate change".

But sure...call people with a different opinion names. That helps win arguments all the time.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Said it before earlier...Millennial climate change believe here and I can't stand her and find her so off-putting. Heck most of my other Millennial/GenZ friends don't really seem to care about her either. The only people she seems to hold sway with are older wannabe-woke Leftists who enjoy using her to troll their opponents. I frankly don't see how she's made an impact, and her unscientific histrionics do more harm than good IMHO.

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Who was responsible for all of the previous climate changes over the Earth's history?

Dieuwer

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:40 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Who was responsible for all of the previous climate changes over the Earth's history?

Are you looking for a funny answer?

M564038

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Well done, Greta.

What the climate crisis demands more than anything right now is charismatic people to get the real facts out there, to as many people as possible.

Greta has done this better than anyone else, and she has yet to present the science wrong.

Thats it. If that wasn’t the case, you could critizise her, but you can’t, everything she is saying has been 100% dead on correct.

Which is rather the opposite of her critic no.1 from the white house.

ER757

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Mr Trump is pitching a hissy fit about it -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 407278002/

Nice to have such an emotionally mature leader......

casinterest
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:38 pm

ER757 wrote:
Mr Trump is pitching a hissy fit about it -
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 407278002/

Nice to have such an emotionally mature leader......

Wasn't it just last week that he and his wife were whining about cheap shots on Barron?

Such pathetic hypocrites. But the GOP loves him Wonder why?
Where ever you go, there you are.

zakuivcustom

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Not at all, criticism coming in the low quality zings seen here is the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

As I said before, were she pretty cheeky kid, half the negatives spoken of her would not exist. Just those very optics would render most of those people 'speechless'.

The rest are the crotchety old buzzards who hate 'smart kids' and young Nazis who just cannot stand other young achievers blowing away anything they can foresee for them selves..jealousy.

If there are any after that, they are few remnants of climate is a hoax crowd.

BN747

You seem to be generalizing greatly here. Is this the new "anti-Semitic" trend on the boards?

I am not misogynistic. Gender is irrelevant. Even a boy would get the same comments from me.

I am not old. I'm a Millennial so even using the phrase "ok Boomer" is incorrect. Saying I'm a Nazi is also inaccurate as I have no shared beliefs with Nazis.

I am not jealous. Unlike Ms. Thunberg, I don't need to throw away my education while obsessing with a cause. I don't crave to be in the international stage, and I don't need to boast about how I'm saving the world and doing my part. I recycle. I encourage my company to institute recycling, and I don't overblow talking points, which leads me to the final point:

Having a degree in meteorology qualifies me more than Ms. Thunberg to talk about climate change and the effects at the moment. For starters, my position has been clear that climate change IS happening (and members know I have not strayed from that).

Should we tackle the problem? Yes. Better to be safe than sorry while becoming energy efficient. But what Ms. Thunberg fails to consider (and it's easy to when everything is "free") is that nations have different priorities at the moment. While international agreements can be made, it has to be delicately balanced with economic interest. The US can switch off all its oil refineries and coal plants tomorrow, but there goes our power supply and thousands, if not millions, of jobs (and those are just the direct jobs).

The US has spent trillions in war machinery and could divert that money to climate change. Yes, but channeling trillions from one industry to another immediately is a bait and switch because while you prop up one industry you've just potentially destroyed another (whether war machinery needs to exist is a separate argument).

Finally (and I can't stress this enough): first impressions should not be the only ones, but there are instances where it's enough. I don't care about her OCD/selective mutism. I don't care that she's a girl or a teenager. What I do care is that her initial impression was not a favorable one (for me). You were born and raised in a country with a high quality of life and you have the nerve to say that your childhood was stolen from you? Just exactly how did the bad guys at the UN steal her childhood? And why is this such a pressing issue but not world hunger or refugees? Are you really telling me that a 16 year old Syrian or Yemeni or Kurd has had it easier than her?

But sure...call people with a different opinion names. That helps win arguments all the time.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Said it before earlier...Millennial climate change believe here and I can't stand her and find her so off-putting. Heck most of my other Millennial/GenZ friends don't really seem to care about her either. The only people she seems to hold sway with are older wannabe-woke Leftists who enjoy using her to troll their opponents. I frankly don't see how she's made an impact, and her unscientific histrionics do more harm than good IMHO.

I have to agree with this - for me it's ultimately VERY hard to connect myself to her cause. "Stolen childhood" when she grew up in more or less a relatively privileged background? "First World Problem" indeed.

Yes, good for her to find a cause that she wants to fight for. Good for her to be able to use her background to advocate something to gov't officials that somebody from third world (i.e. Maldives) that's directly affected probably wouldn't have a chance to. Good for her to get to be the hero of those wannabe Leftists.

I mean, I won't pull a Trump and use Twitter to insult her (b/c...well, that's even more stupid, but then it's Trump...), but doesn't mean I should treat her as some heroine saving the world, either.

BN747

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

I have to agree with this - for me it's ultimately VERY hard to connect myself to her cause. "Stolen childhood" when she grew up in more or less a relatively privileged background? "First World Problem" indeed.

Yes, good for her to find a cause that she wants to fight for. Good for her to be able to use her background to advocate something to gov't officials that somebody from third world (i.e. Maldives) that's directly affected probably wouldn't have a chance to. Good for her to get to be the hero of those wannabe Leftists.

I mean, I won't pull a Trump and use Twitter to insult her (b/c...well, that's even more stupid, but then it's Trump...), but doesn't mean I should treat her as some heroine saving the world, either.

And that's problem!

HOW or WHO on this planet is forcing any of you to " treat her as some heroine saving the world,"...WHO?

Please tell me...
...answer: No one! That is your own perception because of your inability to grasp this explanation..

Sure Climate Change activist are making her poster child of the cause...it would be sheer stupidity not to!

But I said above to einsteinboricua, she doesn't have the earned degrees and battlescars climbing the the pyramid of Climate Hall of Fame, but she has now allowed herself to be placed dead center of a 'now prove it', lets see what you do with your life'...remain a poster queen with no substance of you going to conquer those degrees and keep it going? Or collect a check and disappear?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:13 pm

BN747 wrote:
HOW or WHO on this planet is forcing any of you to " treat her as some heroine saving the world,"...WHO?

You should look at a couple of posts above your reply because I haven't seen anyone insult her (not to the level of Trump), but I do remember seeing someone calling out critics as

BN747 wrote:
the work of those with serious misogynistic and confused issues of sex.

BN747 wrote:
the crotchety old buzzards

BN747 wrote:
young Nazis

BN747 wrote:
climate is a hoax crowd

So clearly, if we don't worship the ground she walks on and praise her words, we're any or all of the above.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 pm

I'm kinda wondering what impact she actually has had. I mean that for real and not to incite. Is she actually convincing anyone or motivating people to take action?

It seems like the only thing she has done is trigger a bunch of conservatives. If she has actually led to any sort of positive change then good. It certainly is an important issue.

I'm with einsteinboricua on this one. She does seem pretty annoying but the worst part, IMO, is the hyperbole. It completely undermines her argument. She is a privileged girl from Sweden (IIRC) and whining about her childhood being ruined by climate change? Really? Please someone point out how this happened. Someone mentioned she may live long and see negative effects of climate change... Sure, agreed, but that's not what she said.

It just becomes fodder for the right. I mean honestly, she probably hasn't changed anyone's minds to believing it's a hoax or not important... People that didn't believe it before still don't. I just don't see any effectiveness besides making conservatives butthurt and giving lefties some lolz. If anything, I think it just makes people tune out the overly dramatic noise which is not what we need

BN747

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:01 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:

You should look at a couple of posts above your reply because I haven't seen anyone insult her (not to the level of Trump), but I do remember seeing someone calling out critics as

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:
young Nazis

BN747 wrote:
climate is a hoax crowd

So clearly, if we don't worship the ground she walks on and praise her words, we're any or all of the above.

This is like the 3rd pr 4th Greta Thunberg, go visit the earlier and review the posted nasty remarks fired at her (by those you quoted me on), it seems many have heed my counter post (and those of others) aimed at them has tempered thier negative attacks, I invite you to view them and compare the viciousness then versus now.

All I'm hearing from you people now is 'everyone is forcing Thunberg onto them'...that's occurring like McDonalds is forcing you to eat Big Macs.

It's grossly psychosomatic ..it's the same argument of people spouting such ignorance as 'all those gay characters on tv is forcing gay down their throats (no pun intended)...
..but no, no they weren't - it was YOU all along with your own personal demons compelling you to believe that....just as Greta is now 'haunting people', it's the very same degree of ignorance.

BN747

Dutchy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Nobody here is denying climate change, at least I'm not, I just don't think we are going about it the right way, I believe we should be preparing for the inevitable rather than trying to fight an unwinnable fight. I'm not going to be shamed by a Swede, if she was a Pacific Islander, you know someone who really will feel the impact of rising sea levels then I would take more notice. The only person stealing her childhood is her.

Rob, you are denying the eventual effects of climate change: climate refugees. water shortage. pollution etc. really man, what do you care about who is the messenger? We have scientists tell you for the past few decades, and now you complain that it is a Swedish girl telling you and now you object because you would be rather told by someone from the Pacific region. Sorry man, the massage doesn't change. Doesn't matter if it is being told by a five year old Norwegian, a 50-year-old Russian or 16-year old Swedish girl. You are not the center of the world you know, Complete and utter bull to use that argument.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

anrec80

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:50 am

casinterest wrote:
The Runner Up's were: The shortlist this year included Donald Trump, Nancy Pelosi, The Whistleblower and the Hong Kong protestors.

I like HK protesters the most here - they did create some problems to China and hence did deserve to be there for sure. Time had tough choice this year.

anrec80

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
Greta Thunberg had an impact this year, so why not?

I am wondering what the impact is. Has she really impressed even one industrial decision maker to, say, invest in additional air filtering facility? Those people don’t follow emotions, obviously.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:32 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I'm kinda wondering what impact she actually has had. I mean that for real and not to incite. Is she actually convincing anyone or motivating people to take action?

absolutely yes,

read these articles
https://www.vox.com/2019/9/17/20864740/ ... ays-future

Protesting outside the White house with other young people
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-new-york

Leonardo de Caprio meets with Greta and calls her a leader for getting youth involved in climate change protests.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... f-our-time

Biggest ever Climate change protest held in Paris with Greta and youth from 185 counties
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarod ... c19e5dab4d

I can post about 10 more protests she was in with world youth.

BN747

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:41 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

absolutely yes,

read these articles
https://www.vox.com/2019/9/17/20864740/ ... ays-future

Protesting outside the White house with other young people
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-new-york

Leonardo de Caprio meets with Greta and calls her a leader for getting youth involved in climate change protests.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... f-our-time

Biggest ever Climate change protest held in Paris with Greta and youth from 185 counties
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarod ... c19e5dab4d

I can post about 10 more protests she was in with world youth.

These links are just a tip of the iceberg of groundswell of support and demand for her - because they see the future potential via her connection with people will not or who don't want to hear from adults..that called betting on futures. She is a sure fire hit if she doesn't stray from her cause plus if she takes on the knowledge acquired by degreed professionals (and becomes one), but were she to leave this planet today - she made a walloping mark on global movement. She's destined to be a force to be reckoned.

BN747

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:45 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Finally (and I can't stress this enough): first impressions should not be the only ones, but there are instances where it's enough. I don't care about her OCD/selective mutism. I don't care that she's a girl or a teenager. What I do care is that her initial impression was not a favorable one (for me). You were born and raised in a country with a high quality of life and you have the nerve to say that your childhood was stolen from you? Just exactly how did the bad guys at the UN steal her childhood? And why is this such a pressing issue but not world hunger or refugees?

The hyperbolic nature of her commentary is not for sensitive or naturally argumentative people, this is true.

But is not meant to be. And I think this is where your reply propagates an intended effect not related to the primary issues at large. To wit, her remarks are designed specifically to light up naturally reactionary people, highlighting the hazard they represent. If you are offended by what a 16 year girl has said about this, then you would likely miss the point anyway, and this is not the conversation for you. That is her mission.

I do not like the way she speaks either. But we need to understand it is not our world we are talking about. It is hers. And the next generation thereafter, and on and on. Most of the people who have an issue with her will be dead and gone when these effects get underway for real.

Einsteinboricua wrote:
Are you really telling me that a 16 year old Syrian or Yemeni or Kurd has had it easier than her?...

...It was the wrong message sent from the wrong person. Give me someone from an island country (Maldives, Tuvalu, Kiribati...) whose homes are threatened by rising sea water. Give me someone from a place with glaciers that have retreated significantly (and therefore threatens their water supply). Give me someone from Sudan or Ethiopia or Somalia where the drought has caused hardship. THOSE would have a much better claim to say "you stole my childhood with your inaction on climate change".

Are we really pretending any of that matters?

People from modern, wealthy nations still have a dog in this race. It is not as though Climate Change is somehow not a global issue. They get to have an opinion too.

Selecting a desired messenger is more than a little parochial.

Einsteinboricua wrote:

Apart from the usual regressionists, I am not seeing much of that here, FWIW. . .

anrec80 wrote:
I like HK protesters the most here - they did create some problems to China and hence did deserve to be there for sure. Time had tough choice this year.

Agreed.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

tommy1808

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:18 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:

It seems like the only thing she has done is trigger a bunch of conservatives. If she has actually led to any sort of positive change then good. It certainly is an important issue.

Its hard to measure what influenced decisions. My company was planning to reduce out footprint and essentially become more environmentally friendly anyways, but she got my boss (with a science, not business, PhD) to say "She is right, we have to speed things up" and we are on the way of becoming mathematically carbon neutral. During the pre-Greta slow beginnings we got lots of shrugging shoulders when we asked suppliers for the carbon footprint of their products, ~3 years later most can tell us that at least on a per USD Turnover basis. Actually the first WallBox for charging electrical employee cars was installed yesterday, new company cars are either BEV or PHEV, EURO 6d and the fuel is compensated to make it CO2 neutral on the balance sheet.
Some of our customers have added points for environmentally friendly production into their tender system, so we can charge higher prices for products to some degree without risk of being undercut by polluters.

I also can´t fail to notice that more and more products have some sort of "Climate Neutral" certificates logo hidden on the packaging and stuff like that. At least she needs to put stuff from the "do one day" on the "Do now, do soon" schedule.

Her disagreeable ways of constantly talking about it and having a plattform to reach the public makes it really hard to conveniently forget about Climate Change.

TTailedTiger wrote:

If you keep scale in mind there never has been climate change like this in Earth History, so the question in invalid. Correct temperature data visualized.

Source: https://xkcd.com/

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Redd

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 am

Dutchy wrote:
Doesn't matter if it is being told by a five year old Norwegian, a 50-year-old Russian or 16-year old Swedish girl. You are not the center of the world you know, Complete and utter bull to use that argument.

Of course it matters who the messenger is, would you take an obese personal trainer? a factory worker as a business coach? a homeless person as your financial advisor? A cocaine addict as your meditation teacher?

Greta, bless her little heart, is just an unexperienced 16 year old at the end of the day, being worshipped by grown-ups. If you still don't understand how some people may find that absurd, then just go on idolizing a little girl (and if you don't find that strange, then just let me assure you many people do) and let other people have a different opinion.

The main question we should be asking is, what are you doing to help combat climate change? I'm curious to see if the followers of the Church of Greta can put their money where their mouth is.

Braybuddy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:37 am

I was half-expecting this, so good luck to her . . . she's going to need it! To be elevated to sainthood on the world stage at such a young age is not a great idea, IMHO. She will be scrutinised and hounded for the rest of her life. She can now never fly, never casually throw a piece of single-use plastic in a recycling bin, never own a car (even an EV, given the carbon emissions used in manufacture). Every single detail of her lifestyle will be pulled apart, with critics and the media waiting to pounce. That trip across the Atlantic is a case in point: by the time every factor was taken into account, her carbon footprint would have been smaller had she simply flown.

Her fans and supporters have elevated her to the pinnacle of a moral highground that is simply unsustainable. Come 2030 she'll probably wish she had just stayed in school.

Dutchy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 am

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Doesn't matter if it is being told by a five year old Norwegian, a 50-year-old Russian or 16-year old Swedish girl. You are not the center of the world you know, Complete and utter bull to use that argument.

Of course it matters who the messenger is, would you take an obese personal trainer? a factory worker as a business coach? a homeless person as your financial advisor? A cocaine addict as your meditation teacher?

Greta, bless her little heart, is just an unexperienced 16 year old at the end of the day, being worshipped by grown-ups. If you still don't understand how some people may find that absurd, then just go on idolizing a little girl (and if you don't find that strange, then just let me assure you many people do) and let other people have a different opinion.

The main question we should be asking is, what are you doing to help combat climate change? I'm curious to see if the followers of the Church of Greta can put their money where their mouth is.

Well, scientists didn't get the message trough and now people are getting angry with a teenager telling the same story, of course, the Twitter in chief is very much included in the angry part. I don't know who worships Greta, perhaps you could name a few.
Sure, we all have our responsibility to contribute, but to solve this, we need a system change: pollution can't be free anymore, damages must be attributed to the cause.

Olddog

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:08 am

She made a huge impact worldwide. It is mostly in the US that she is denigrated since day one. Not really a surprise....
Sentence from Belgian PM at press conference forbidden due to new rules

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 am

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not the main question—not even an irrelevant nonsequitir. That’s like asking what are people in Yuma doing to doing to improve Colorado River Basin water management. A low flow shower head is a nice idea but is not going to make a lick of difference. Or asking what leisure fisherman in Hyannis are doing to improve North Atlantic fisheries.
I don't take responsibility at all

L410Turbolet

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

BN747 wrote:
young Nazis

BN747 wrote:
climate is a hoax crowd

Luckily, she's white otherwise he would be calling everyone who does not follow her cult a "racist".

BN747 wrote:
.remain a poster queen with no substance of you going to conquer those degrees and keep it going? Or collect a check and disappear?

That's probably up to her parents, because if anyone stole her childhood and turned her into a marketing product, it was them.

Redd

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Sure, we all have our responsibility to contribute, but to solve this, we need a system change: pollution can't be free anymore, damages must be attributed to the cause.

I don't mean to come off rude here, but that's a horrible excuse to avoid personal responsibility. We as consumers and individuals have the power to change the system, it's just that most people are too damn lazy to put in the effort required. People want to be handed a ready-made solution that requires little to no effort.

If you care about the environment then do everything you can to protect it. Be the example, don't wait for a messiah to come and make all the changes for you.

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:47 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

absolutely yes,

tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Its hard to measure what influenced decisions. My company was planning to reduce out footprint and essentially become more environmentally friendly anyways, but she got my boss (with a science, not business, PhD) to say "She is right, we have to speed things up" and we are on the way of becoming mathematically carbon neutral.

Well... Good. If this is the case.

I'd add that I find it sad we need an annoying, dramatic teenager (IMO) to get people to act and not, you know, facts and science

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Still not a fan of her but if she's making a net positive and her transgressions only amount to annoying me, then good for her, credit where credit's due

TSS

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
I was half-expecting this, so good luck to her . . . she's going to need it! To be elevated to sainthood on the world stage at such a young age is not a great idea, IMHO. She will be scrutinised and hounded for the rest of her life. She can now never fly, never casually throw a piece of single-use plastic in a recycling bin, never own a car (even an EV, given the carbon emissions used in manufacture). Every single detail of her lifestyle will be pulled apart, with critics and the media waiting to pounce. That trip across the Atlantic is a case in point: by the time every factor was taken into account, her carbon footprint would have been smaller had she simply flown.

Her fans and supporters have elevated her to the pinnacle of a moral highground that is simply unsustainable. Come 2030 she'll probably wish she had just stayed in school.

It has already started: What do you think of Greta Thunberg's plastic garbage filled Tesla? | Keean Bexte-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SyoRwV_To
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

einsteinboricua

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Braybuddy wrote:

It's not really her supporters and fans elevating her to sainthood as much as it is her slamming those who don't conform to her view. She's like religious Republicans today: expecting people to follow THEIR view of society, but wanting to carve out an exception if they fail to live up to it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Kiwirob

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:32 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

I'd say more than half the planet wouldn't have a clue who she is, ironically it's mostly people from that half of the planet who will eventually suffer the most the most effects.

BN747

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:40 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

Well... Good. If this is the case.

I'd add that I find it sad we need an annoying, dramatic teenager (IMO) to get people to act and not, you know, facts and science

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Still not a fan of her but if she's making a net positive and her transgressions only amount to annoying me, then good for her, credit where credit's due

That is the most honest and fair read on this from anyone who feels 'Greta Thunberg is being pushed onto them'....

She's no more being pushed onto anyone as were the cries from Snowflakes a few years ago screaming 'they are pushing gays on us by putting on all tv programs'...simple solution don't watch - it's not like Greta Thunberg is going to find out and give you the stink eye (as it appears she's doing anyway)...

BN747

Dutchy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Redd wrote:
I don't mean to come off rude here, but that's a horrible excuse to avoid personal responsibility.

It is not rude, just inaccurate. We will not save the planet with personal responsibility alone. I think I take more than personal responsibility than average Joe ;)

MaverickM11

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I don't mean to come off rude here, but that's a horrible excuse to avoid personal responsibility. We as consumers and individuals have the power to change the system, it's just that most people are too damn lazy to put in the effort required. People want to be handed a ready-made solution that requires little to no effort.

If you care about the environment then do everything you can to protect it. Be the example, don't wait for a messiah to come and make all the changes for you.

Exxon thanks you for your service.
I don't take responsibility at all

windy95

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:46 pm

The only people she impacted are the ones who already bow down at the altar of global warming. Otherwise she is just a manipulated little girl who lost her childhood because of her parents.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Meanwhile did anyone see the Trump Campaign's Epstein Time Cover? The one where they put Trump on top of a 16 year old girl?
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ps-face-on
Where ever you go, there you are.

M564038

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm

For those concerned about her health, it seems she’s on top of that as well, as she just anounced an extended break.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:27 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Before there were cow farts, there were Dinosaur farts.

Do you know how much gas is being released by underwater volcanic vents every second of every hour of every day??

More than can be accounted for...

Anyway, have Fun with your Climate Lie, the Lie that it is Man that is causing the Earth's climate to change. :razz:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BN747

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Before there were cow farts, there were Dinosaur farts.

Do you know how much gas is being released by underwater volcanic vents every second of every hour of every day??

More than can be accounted for...

Anyway, have Fun with your Climate Lie, the Lie that it is Man that is causing the Earth's climate to change. :razz:

No one says 'it's causing it'..those of us more familiar with planetary changes knows every planet is experiencing some form of climate change..they are all effected by their parent, the sun. They are evolving (growing, aging and therefore conditions mean constant forms of surface change).

But mankind is definitely contributing.

People are pigs..they are no good at cleaning up the messes they make - on the ground where you can see ..if you could visually spot the damage spewing into our atmosphere in the form of say like... 'smog'...we took initiatives here in SoCal to diminish it. We can do better...much better.

But the thread is about the 16yo kid catching holy hell from Neanderthals for crying out 'Your generations are failing mine and your children'. My generation certainly failed here and so is that just before hers...their starting to make noise at such a young age will perhaps yield a smarter crop of Adults will take matters more seriously than the knuckleheads who don't want to hear it'....

BN747

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:14 am

I'm curious to know why Time singled her out, rather than including her parents as well. She's underage, and none of the school-ditching, globetrotting, coached speeches she's giving occur without the blessing and financial backing of her parents.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alfa164

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:36 am

EA CO AS wrote:
I'm curious to know why Time singled her out, rather than including her parents as well. She's underage, and none of the school-ditching, globetrotting, coached speeches she's giving occur without the blessing and financial backing of her parents.

So... in your mind, the fact that her parents support her is cause to ignore her? And "coached speeches"? Prove it!

Just because she has studied-up on the causes and effects of climate change - and, obviously, knows more about it than 99% of us here - you resent her being the messenger?

:roll:
Last edited by alfa164 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BN747

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 am

alfa164 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

So... in your mind, the fact that her parents support her is cause to ignore her? And "coached speeches"? Prove it!

Just because she has studies-up on the causes and effects of climate change - and, obviously, knows more about it than 99% of us here - you resent her being the messenger?

Republican/Conservative perception...now you're getting GOP logic (if you can even use that term)!

BN747

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:49 am

alfa164 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Just because she has studies-up on the causes and effects of climate change - and, obviously, knows more about it than 99% of us here - you resent her being the messenger?

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote; I want to know why Time didn’t include her parents, since none of this happens without their blessing and financial support. Sailing across the ocean ain’t cheap, y’know, and they clearly believe in what she does, so why not have the family instead of just Greta?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alfa164

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am

BN747 wrote:
Republican/Conservative perception...now you're getting GOP logic (if you can even use that term)!

Not all Republicans; I am actually a life-long Republican, but I don't (and never will) drink the Trump Kool-aid. In truth, I think he is a disaster for our party, our country, and our world.