Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747

Re: Time Magazine selects the youngest ever "Time Person of the Year"

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:12 am

alfa164 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Republican/Conservative perception...now you're getting GOP logic (if you can even use that term)!

Not all Republicans; I am actually a life-long Republican, but I don't (and never will) drink the Trump Kool-aid. In truth, I think he is a disaster for our party, our country, and our world.

I knew there were a couple o youz out there...but one to fess up here...that's noteworthy.

Thanks for Keeping 'the real) America First!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

SQ22

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:37 am

May I kindly remind you to stay on topic. Thanks.

Redd

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:58 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Sure, we all have our responsibility to contribute, but to solve this, we need a system change: pollution can't be free anymore, damages must be attributed to the cause.

I don't mean to come off rude here, but that's a horrible excuse to avoid personal responsibility. We as consumers and individuals have the power to change the system, it's just that most people are too damn lazy to put in the effort required. People want to be handed a ready-made solution that requires little to no effort.

If you care about the environment then do everything you can to protect it. Be the example, don't wait for a messiah to come and make all the changes for you.

Exxon thanks you for your service.

if you're going to attempt to imply something, it should at least have one little shred of truth to it to make any sense.

tommy1808

Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:51 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
.Do you know how much gas is being released by underwater volcanic vents every second of every hour of every day??

More than can be accounted for...

You may be really surprised if you ever learn what a balanced system is and what happens when you change the inputs.

Anyway, have Fun with your Climate Lie, the Lie that it is Man that is causing the Earth's climate to change. :razz:

You know where the oxygen comes from you are breathing? Alge. When they started pumping that out they dramatically changed the climate, and killed off pretty much most other life that was around when they started doing so.
But by providing oxygen they didn't just wipe out most life that was, but also enabled multicellular life. You only exist because a freaking cyanobacteria has changed the climate on this planet dramatically.
There is only gas and oil to burn because of them, given that our sun is now ~25% more powerful than it was when they started removing CO2 from the atmosphere, putting back in what they removed is flat out suicidal.

But fun to watch you claim you are less than bacteria.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:11 am

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:

I don't mean to come off rude here, but that's a horrible excuse to avoid personal responsibility. We as consumers and individuals have the power to change the system, it's just that most people are too damn lazy to put in the effort required. People want to be handed a ready-made solution that requires little to no effort.

If you care about the environment then do everything you can to protect it. Be the example, don't wait for a messiah to come and make all the changes for you.

if you're going to attempt to imply something, it should at least have one little shred of truth to it to make any sense.

The part where companies like Exxon have for generations funded climate change denial, lobbying, obfuscation, misinformation and outsourcing “personal responsibility” to the consumer, or the part where you pick up the baton and do it for them? How would you rate your personal responsibility vis a vis corn ethanol?
I don't take responsibility at all

tommy1808

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:22 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I'd add that I find it sad we need an annoying, dramatic teenager (IMO) to get people to act and not, you know, facts and science

Of course decisions should be made based on facts and science, but there is so much of that, that you have to pick what to form an option about. Public opinion historically often swayed very fast once attention was drawn to an issue, because that got people to look at facts and science to have one in the first place. Most options we hold are just things we got from a trusted source that didn't obviously seem flawed. Few are reasoned out.

She had a rather large effect on that. Even by pissing some people off. Here we are, discussing her, and all those discussions will invariably include discussion of facts and science.

Now did she deserve to be person of the year for that more than others, like the HK protesters? Nope.
Does the choice actually have an effect? Well, here we are, discussing the merits of climate change. Would it have had any effect for or on the HK protesters? Probably not.

Best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:10 am

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:

I think it has some merit in it. Oil companies would love to see everybody needs to do something. Two reasons: and because it takes away the blame for companies like these and thus to change and secondly if the public perceived to be taken away something (long showers or whatever) the crucial support will be undermind (something you see actively supported by our Russian "contributors" here).
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Braybuddy

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:23 am

TSS wrote:
It has already started: What do you think of Greta Thunberg's plastic garbage filled Tesla? | Keean Bexte-

Oh dear . . . :eyepopping:

Redd

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

The part where companies like Exxon have for generations funded climate change denial, lobbying, obfuscation, misinformation and outsourcing “personal responsibility” to the consumer, or the part where you pick up the baton and do it for them? How would you rate your personal responsibility vis a vis corn ethanol?

So me saying, that corporations and governments aren't doing enough and we can't expect them to change anytime soon (based on decades of examples) and we as consumers can make a difference and force corporations and governments to make the change, makes me an agent of the oil companies..... :rotfl:

Your power of deduction isn't very maverick, Maverick.

Dutchy wrote:

I think it has some merit in it. Oil companies would love to see everybody needs to do something. Two reasons: and because it takes away the blame for companies like these and thus to change and secondly if the public perceived to be taken away something (long showers or whatever) the crucial support will be undermind (something you see actively supported by our Russian "contributors" here).

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't lead by example? Do as I say not as I do? Gotcha, Wunderbar. :shakehead:

Call me old fashioned, even though I'm a millennial. But I like to practice what I preach.

seb146

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:

So me saying, that corporations and governments aren't doing enough and we can't expect them to change anytime soon (based on decades of examples) and we as consumers can make a difference and force corporations and governments to make the change, makes me an agent of the oil companies..... :rotfl:

Dutchy wrote:

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't lead by example? Do as I say not as I do? Gotcha, Wunderbar. :shakehead:

Call me old fashioned, even though I'm a millennial. But I like to practice what I preach.

Governments are not doing much. Right wingers in control insist that so-called "cap and trade" can not be done at all because business and profit is much more important that environmental concerns. Governments that do try to do something, like banning single use straws and plastic bags, are mocked and ridiculed and hated.

Make up your minds: do you righties want something to be done about improving the environment and climate change or not?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Dutchy

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

No please do, I think my carbon footprint is very low, but what I am saying is that it isn't a solution in the end, we need a systemic change and you cannot do that alone. The European Green deal is very promising, it has some elements in it to get the system change going.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:57 am

tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
.Do you know how much gas is being released by underwater volcanic vents every second of every hour of every day??

You may be really surprised if you ever learn what a balanced system is and what happens when you change the inputs.

Anyway, have Fun with your Climate Lie, the Lie that it is Man that is causing the Earth's climate to change. :razz:

Best regards
Thomas

Darwin based his Theory of Evolution on the cell not being complex.

Oooooooops
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

tommy1808

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Oooooooops

And that has to do with the complexity of multicellular life what exactly? Oh, right... nothing. Did you put theory in bold to highlight it means "fact" or because you still don't understand that?

Best regards
Thomas

seb146

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:40 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Oooooooops

Obviously cells are complex. If they were simple, as you assert, they would have died out long ago. Cells adapt because they are complex.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Redd

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:22 am

seb146 wrote:
Make up your minds: do you righties want something to be done about improving the environment and climate change or not?

Did you just call me a righty? :rotfl:

Redd

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
but what I am saying is that it isn't a solution in the end, we need a systemic change and you cannot do that alone. The European Green deal is very promising, it has some elements in it to get the system change going.

and I agree with all of the changes that you think should be made, but change is driven by people, not governments. Once demand is high enough, and people are speaking with their purchases and actions, corporations follow suit really quick, then governments do.

Dutchy

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:36 am

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
but what I am saying is that it isn't a solution in the end, we need a systemic change and you cannot do that alone. The European Green deal is very promising, it has some elements in it to get the system change going.

and I agree with all of the changes that you think should be made, but change is driven by people, not governments. Once demand is high enough, and people are speaking with their purchases and actions, corporations follow suit really quick, then governments do.

Your theory of change is different than mine. But we are on the same page. I actually hope you are right, but I haven't seen it and we need to press on, time is not on our side with this one.

BN747

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Greta Thunberg, a 16yo Asperger victim, showed her finesse and wisdom with her response to the bloated ignoramus leader of the US' attack on her.

If only he had 10% of her intellect...America would be far less divisive, but that's our leader, plenty of time for internet battles with kids, dead people and true American Warriors...but no time at all to address American Election protections. And that's okay with 35% of Americans.

..well it's better that Rambo ripoff pic...this image perfectly suits him given his mannerisms.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

ParkFSI

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:06 am

With all due respect, I think why so many deny climate issues is in the 70’s “they” told us we would all freeze to death by the year 2000.
So most older people are very experienced. Like the auto insurance commercial “ we’ve seen a thing or two “.
So as the older people pass on, the young get older and they also get wiser and will be set in their ways.
Thread killer

BN747

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:13 am

ParkFSI wrote:
With all due respect, I think why so many deny climate issues is in the 70’s “they” told us we would all freeze to death by the year 2000.
So most older people are very experienced. Like the auto insurance commercial “ we’ve seen a thing or two “.
So as the older people pass on, the young get older and they also get wiser and will be set in their ways.

Being comfortable with ignorance is only useful when dodging questions on witnessing a mafia hit...other than that there are no valid uses.

BN747

ParkFSI

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 am

BN747,
I apologize for being ignorant but I don’t understand your reply. I wasn’t picking sides, it’s just the way this stupid red neck see’s it.
But if you don’t mind , I do have a couple of personal questions for you;
How big is your home ?
What type vehicle(s) do you own ?
Thread killer

BN747

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 am

ParkFSI wrote:
BN747,
I apologize for being ignorant but I don’t understand your reply. I wasn’t picking sides, it’s just the way this stupid red neck see’s it.
But if you don’t mind , I do have a couple of personal questions for you;
How big is your home ?
What type vehicle(s) do you own ?

No apologies necessary, you understood my comment perfectly, your 'red neck' statement confirms it.

As to your asking those questions..are you attempting to gauge my carbon footprint?

BN747

stl07

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:03 am

ParkFSI wrote:

And "they" were not wrong. Look at California, it's burning up, and not because Jesus is bringing Hell to them for their sins. Look at San Juan, they are still rebuilding from a massive hurricane, and the people there are very Catholic, so it wasn't God punishing them. Even St. Louis is having "one in every hundred year flood" every single year. The kids here are out of school for days because the rivers rise so high they flood the bridges. The climate is defiantly changing. Facts don't care about your feelings
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

extender

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Greta, something is rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the fish. The latest issue about her having to sit on the floor of a German train got shot to smithereens.

German railway claims Greta Thunberg lied about taking first class

It’s just a bunch of hot air.

A German railway company has taken back an apology they made to Greta Thunberg after they realized the climate activist wasn’t schlepping it on the train’s floor but instead was treated “friendly” in first class.

The rail company was responding to an image Thunberg tweeted of herself sitting amid bags and suitcases on the floor of what she called “overcrowded trains through Germany.”

Link

Hot air. She is a puppet for the ruling elitist. If the media is pushing anything so strong, there has to be an ulterior motive. Face it, the MSM isn't about reporting the news, it is about telling you what to think. That works so well, that all the cyberbullies come out of the woodwork if you dare to cast any dispersions upon St. Greta. Same as when Al Gore gave us the bleak forecast about Polar Bears, shouldn't they all have drowned by now? Didn't buy Gore's lies then, nor will I buy St. Greta's hot air now.

tommy1808

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:41 pm

extender wrote:
Greta, something is rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the fish. The latest issue about her having to sit on the floor of a German train got shot to smithereens.

German railway claims Greta Thunberg lied about taking first class

It’s just a bunch of hot air.

A German railway company has taken back an apology they made to Greta Thunberg after they realized the climate activist wasn’t schlepping it on the train’s floor but instead was treated “friendly” in first class.

The rail company was responding to an image Thunberg tweeted of herself sitting amid bags and suitcases on the floor of what she called “overcrowded trains through Germany.”

Link

Hot air. .

yup, Propagana Billshit from the NY Post.

She didn´t "lie" about it. Her Train was cancelled due to technical problems in Basel, and with it her reservation, so she was sitting on the floor like you usually do when there are no seats left in an overcrowded train, and took her first class seat later during that trip, when they became available.

Your own propaganda piece essentially confirms that, but only towards the end of the article. So probably you haven´t read it.

I do assume you are an honorable person and correct the misinformation in all other places you posted it in...

best regards
Thomas

MaverickM11

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Redd wrote:

Except that's not at all what you said:

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Sure, we all have our responsibility to contribute, but to solve this, we need a system change: pollution can't be free anymore, damages must be attributed to the cause.

apodino

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:42 pm

You would think that a person of the year would not be a controversial figure, but it seems that by naming Thurnberg Time is doing exactly that. I give her credit, she is fighting for a cause she believes in, and unlike a lot of other so called Climate Activists such as Gore and Di Caprio, she actually puts her money where her mouth is. I respect that a lot.

As for me, of the list of people that I saw, the person I would have named personally would have been Jacinda Arden. She is probably one of the most well liked leaders of any country right now. The way she brought a nation together after a tragedy, and was able to take swift action to prevent such a tragedy from happening is commendable. Plus she is a mom, and I believe she gave birth in office as well. What's not to like about her? To me she is my person of the year.

Because some of these people are nameless or anonymous, such as the Whistleblower and the Hong Kong protesters, I would not have named them either. Hence my selection of Arden.

LittleFokker

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:03 am

apodino wrote:
You would think that a person of the year would not be a controversial figure, but it seems that by naming Thurnberg Time is doing exactly that. I give her credit, she is fighting for a cause she believes in, and unlike a lot of other so called Climate Activists such as Gore and Di Caprio, she actually puts her money where her mouth is. I respect that a lot.

Two things wrong with this paragraph. First, Time has selected controversial people before, hell Hitler was a former person of the year. **Side note, why is saying global warming is real and warning governments to take action controversial? Damn conservative snowflakes!**

Second, how do you know Gore and DiCaprio aren't putting their money where they're mouth is? Oh wait, that's right, in Mystical Conservativeland, if they're not being perfectly green every second of their life, then everything they say about climate change is invalid. Piss off.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

apodino

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
apodino wrote:

Two things wrong with this paragraph. First, Time has selected controversial people before, hell Hitler was a former person of the year. **Side note, why is saying global warming is real and warning governments to take action controversial? Damn conservative snowflakes!**

Second, how do you know Gore and DiCaprio aren't putting their money where they're mouth is? Oh wait, that's right, in Mystical Conservativeland, if they're not being perfectly green every second of their life, then everything they say about climate change is invalid. Piss off.

You are accusing someone who believes in Climate Change and has voted accordingly and does take action to help the environment a "Conservative Snowflake?" You did not understand my post at all, and you rush to insult me without even realizing what I was saying.

I don't disagree that Time has selected controversial people before, but to me a person of the year should not be controversial. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened in the past, it just means I don't agree with it. As far as warning governments to take action against climate change, I agree this should not be controversial but since the topic of Climate Change itself is controversial for some strange reason, having a 16 year old girl be the spokeswoman for the environmental movement, no matter how good her intentions may be, it is going to rub people the wrong way. Again, I may not like that she is controversial, and if you read my post you see me give her a lot of credit and respect. I mentioned Jacinda Arden because very few people are going to find any reason it shouldn't be her. As far as Hitler winning the award, what is often forgotten about Hitler is that Hitler was well liked by progressives in the 1930's as he came into power, with even FDR praising him. But after WW2, we all know the rest of the story.

As for Gore and DiCaprio. It is well documented that Al Gore lives a life of luxury and lives on a compound that uses more energy in one month that the typical American lives in a year, with a lot of Natural Gas use. It is also well documented that his climate activism has made him a very rich man. These two things alone cause me to question his commitment. Now he may have made some strides, but it seems like a luxury compound is more important to him than a green planet. DiCaprio is well known for travelling in private jets. Private Jets are one of the least eco friendly ways to travel. If he believed in climate change, at the very least he would fly commercially which is a little more eco friendly. Thunburg on the other hand, refuses to fly period, and uses eco friendly methods such as rail and sailing to get around.

Redd

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

You're really grasping at straws.

prebennorholm

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 am

apodino wrote:
You would think that a person of the year would not be a controversial figure.....

Well, things change over the years. From Wiki:

"As a result of the public backlash it received from the United States for naming Khomeini as Man of the Year in 1979, Time has since shied away from using figures who are controversial in the United States for commercial reasons, fearing reductions in sales or advertising revenue."

But if Time-person-of-the-year really was what it was supposed to be - most influential person, positive or negative - then it was absolutely valid when Hitler, Stalin, Khomeini and other such individuals were nominated.

I will, however, put a question mark on Thunberg. She is more a victim, a victim of child abuse. Maybe she really was the single individual who got the fabulous idea that 15 years old school children must have a three days long weekend, but it was an army of different people who lifted her to saint status for that.

If we look at title winners of recent years, G.W. Bush, Obama, Putin, Mark Zuckerberg, Pope Francis, etc. - many differences among those people, but none are/were pure instruments for an invisible backland.
Last edited by prebennorholm on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

trpmb6

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:16 am

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I have to agree... I read both posts several times and they don't conflict with each other. It ultimately starts with the individual. Any opinion otherwise leads down a centralized state mentality which will most assuredly not have environmental or individual rights in mind.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Grasping at straws = copy/pasting your own words. K :roll:

trpmb6 wrote:
Redd wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I have to agree... I read both posts several times and they don't conflict with each other. It ultimately starts with the individual. Any opinion otherwise leads down a centralized state mentality which will most assuredly not have environmental or individual rights in mind.

Do you think the same for interstate water rights? Infrastructure? The war on terror? Sure it can "start with the individual", but will go nowhere without corporate and government buyin. To think you as an individual can make a meaningful impact is pure fantasy, unless you're MBS.

Redd

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:05 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
[

Grasping at straws = copy/pasting your own words. K :roll:

I recommend some reading comprehension classes.