Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

JCPenney busier than Macy's?

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:59 am

Today I was at Superstition Springs Center in Mesa, Arizona, and to my surprise, the JCPenney was packed while the Macy's was mostly quiet. I find this quite unusual since usually at most malls Macy's is the busier of the two anchors. That particular Macy's even added the Backstage off-price concept on the third floor, but that doesn't seem to be bringing in traffic.

Has anyone else been to a mall where JCPenney was busier than Macy's?

NIKV69

Re: JCPenney busier than Macy's?

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:34 am

I am in shock one or both is still in business myself. We have them and Nordstrom in my mall and they are never super busy or super slow.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Aaron747

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:42 am

Nordstrom is the only anchor store that gets consistent business at the malls in the southern Bay Area...I am shocked Macy’s is even still open in a couple locations.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:47 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Nordstrom is the only anchor store that gets consistent business at the malls in the southern Bay Area...I am shocked Macy’s is even still open in a couple locations.

We have two Nordstroms here in the Phoenix area - Scottsdale Fashion Square and Chandler Fashion Center. I never shop at Nordstrom, but from what I have been told, the Chandler Fashion Center location does not carry as much high-end labels as the Scottsdale Fashion Square location.

seb146

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:57 am

I went to visit my mom over Thanksgiving. She had to take her car to the mechanic because the battery light came on. They could not figure out why. Anyway, they had a Winter 2019 Montgomery Ward's catalog on the front table. W... T... HECK????

The one JCP I have been to in the past year was not that busy. It was just really really crowded. Like there was so much product on the floor it was hard to navigate. I prefer Macy's Last Act. I have found some great clothes there. Usually the mid-market Macy's like Columbia Center or Rogue Valley Mall.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EstherLouise

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm

I don't think I've been to a shopping mall since 2009. In fact, I still have a hand-written $20 JCP gift certificate dating from 1996 in my dresser drawer. I wonder if it's any good.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

casinterest

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 am

Based on this article,
Target is destroying both of them.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/target-i ... 10943.html

In many respects, Target’s apparel department — flush with larger dressing rooms and brighter lighting — are easier and more inviting to shop than a department store. And, the prices tend to be cheaper
Where ever you go, there you are.

stl07

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:47 am

EstherLouise wrote:
I don't think I've been to a shopping mall since 2009. In fact, I still have a hand-written $20 JCP gift certificate dating from 1996 in my dresser drawer. I wonder if it's any good.

Feel free to send that to me. I will gladly PM you my address :D
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

seb146

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 am

casinterest wrote:
Based on this article,

In many respects, Target’s apparel department — flush with larger dressing rooms and brighter lighting — are easier and more inviting to shop than a department store. And, the prices tend to be cheaper

I have noticed Target does not play music. Every time I go into Target, it is quiet and calm. No one has to scream over the piped in music. It makes for a less stressful environment and makes me want to SQUEEEEEE!!!! over a simple baking dish or shirt or whatever.

Just after we moved here, the brosband and I went to the nearest Target. It is a 2 hour drive, on the edge of EUG. I was looking for a bagel guillotine. The woman working there was stocking the personal care aisle. Soap, shampoo, etc. She was so nice and excited and helpful. "OMG!!! My boyfriend got me one of those!!! I LOOOVE IT!!!" she gushed. We clucked and cackled over my potential new purchase and I could hear the brosband's eye rolls as she led me down the kitchen aisles. "oh, wait.... we don't have them...." I have never been so happy to be disappointed ever.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 am

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Based on this article,

I have noticed Target does not play music. Every time I go into Target, it is quiet and calm. No one has to scream over the piped in music. It makes for a less stressful environment and makes me want to SQUEEEEEE!!!! over a simple baking dish or shirt or whatever.

Just after we moved here, the brosband and I went to the nearest Target. It is a 2 hour drive, on the edge of EUG. I was looking for a bagel guillotine. The woman working there was stocking the personal care aisle. Soap, shampoo, etc. She was so nice and excited and helpful. "OMG!!! My boyfriend got me one of those!!! I LOOOVE IT!!!" she gushed. We clucked and cackled over my potential new purchase and I could hear the brosband's eye rolls as she led me down the kitchen aisles. "oh, wait.... we don't have them...." I have never been so happy to be disappointed ever.

I like target for the seasonal 10% gift card deal. I take all the gift cards people have given me ( Amex, Visa,) or what not, and even my own credit card, and then convert to get an extra 10 %.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:20 pm

We went to the Tacoma mall while our car was being serviced the week after Thanksgiving. Mall was almost entirely not decorated, no crowds. Everything in Pennies was marked down, store modestly decorated for Christmas. Store was not empty, but not all that many customers. Elevators and restrooms were a little shabby, staffing minimal. Wife bought two tops, one she particularly liked and one I liked. We then went on to Macy's, more people, good Christmas decorations, lots but not all on sale. We walked through all of the departments and they were well supplied and staffed. I had not been there for 20 years. To my surprise there was a piece of furniture that fit our 'list', (size, style, comfort, price, colors) so we have replaced our old but only OK sofa, it was delivered two days later.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

hawaiian717

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm

seb146 wrote:
I went to visit my mom over Thanksgiving. She had to take her car to the mechanic because the battery light came on. They could not figure out why. Anyway, they had a Winter 2019 Montgomery Ward's catalog on the front table. W... T... HECK????

Looks like after the company liquidated in 2001, a direct marketing company bought the bought the brand name and trademarks and relaunched the catalog in 2004.

zakuivcustom

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges anyway...

JCPenney reminds me more of a Kohl's, i.e. mark up prices than discounting them. Of course, Kohl's is better in every other way otherwise. The only time I ever went into a Penney was to grab something from a Sephora for my wifey inside Penney b/c, due to lack of foot traffic, they still have what I want to find in stock.

Macy's in general varied so much from store to store anyway - some Macy's are VERY upmarket (try going to the one in NYC Herald Square), some are mid-market cluster of stuff (the one I usually go to in Northside Indy), then there are some awful Macy's that I wonder how in the world they're staying in business.

In general, Macy's do get more foot traffic than Penney from the two direct comparison that I'm familiar with (Castleton Square and Greenwood Park Mall both in Indy area). Well, at least both are not Sears, talk about depressing (Ok, at least Sears is not Kmart...oh wait).

slider

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Haven't been to a mall in years, thankfully, and try to avoid as much as possible, but had to go over the weekend for an angel tree event. This is in metro Houston suburbs.

Macy's was busy, given holiday shoppers, but not packed. JC Penney was really busy though. I hadn't been in one in ages but it was a decent space, refreshed brand look, nice retail layouts, etc. They're surviving, I'll give them that. Sears has gone bye bye, Macy's is struggling, and Penney's seems to have found a space. I haven't seen their latest financials though. But at first blush, I was impressed.

casinterest

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Looks like SNL is working on helping Macy's Children sales department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXN85TJabg

one of the truest sketches ever.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Definitely not the case nationwide. I’ve been photographing various malls in various states, and most Macy’s have far more foot traffic than JCPenney’s. The level of inventory reflects this, too - Macy’s has very little of their made-for-Holiday doorbusters remaining, whereas JCPenney is loaded with them. Quite sad. On Thursday, I was the only customer in men’s department of a local JCP, whereas both Macy’s in the same mall were bustling.

At least locally, JCP appears to be doing much better (in terms of foot traffic) at locations that are Hispanic-majority.