Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

THS214
Topic Author

To all OPs let us know of what country you talk about

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:04 pm

A lot of treads on this site are about a single country. Please state that country in headline.

Now on top is a tread "New Federal rule on Hospital Pricing Structure" As long as it doesn't say any specific country it is global. Please state the country.

Thank you

bgm

Re: To all OPs let us know of what country you talk about

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Unfortunately Americans think they are the center of the world and obviously everything is about them. The rest of the world is just an abstract anomaly.
Hires only the best people... lol

dmg626

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:54 pm

bgm wrote:
Unfortunately Americans think they are the center of the world and obviously everything is about them. The rest of the world is just an abstract anomaly.

Yep, been carrying freight for quite a while now, so I guess the US is the center of the world

NIKV69

Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:59 pm

bgm wrote:

It is amazing how if some don't get their American bashing in they go through withdrawal. :wave:
I am the Googlizer!!!

afcjets

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:03 pm

bgm wrote:

This site is in English and the US is the largest English speaking country and one of the largest countries in the developed world. If I saw a website in Mandarin Chinese, I would guess most of the topics that could refer to other countries too but don't say what country they're talking about, my guess would be they're talking about China, unless the context revealed otherwise.

bgm

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:10 pm

afcjets wrote:
bgm wrote:

This site is in English and the US is the largest English speaking country and one of the largest countries in the developed world. If I saw a website in Mandarin Chinese, I would guess most of the topics that could refer to other countries too but don't say what country they're talking about, my guess would be they're talking about China, unless the context revealed otherwise.

You’re missing the point. It’s the complete lack of awareness that there are other people in this forum from other countries, who either speak English as a first, second, or third language.

This fact doesn’t even enter the minds of many US posters as they don’t specify that it’s a US-related topic.

Unfortunately it’s been this way for years and is unlikely to change.

bgm

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:11 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
bgm wrote:

It is amazing how if some don't get their American bashing in they go through withdrawal. :wave:

Ditto with certain posters’ relentless butthurt ;)

afcjets

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:25 pm

bgm wrote:
You’re missing the point. It’s the complete lack of awareness that there are other people in this forum from other countries, who either speak English as a first, second, or third language.

This fact doesn’t even enter the minds of many US posters as they don’t specify that it’s a US-related topic.

Unfortunately it’s been this way for years and is unlikely to change.

For most topics, it's not necessary, and all about context. I know Brexit refers to Great Britian and if a topic was titled "IG report finally released" this week it would be unnecessary to include US in the title. There might be some topics where the country is omitted from the title and that's great. If it pertains to your country by all means comment if you like. If the TA responds back I am only talking about and interested in the US or my country, that would be rude and it's their own fault for not stating that in the title. If that's your point, I totally see it and agree with you.

THS214
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 pm

afcjets wrote:
bgm wrote:

This site was started in Sweden. Its also a global site. So why not put the country in the headline?

"IG report finally released this week it would be unnecessary to include US in the title". How would we know if you don't tell? As you are only interested of what goes in USA i pity you. In that case you are on a wrong site.

Also there are people that can speak English about 10 times as many as there are people in USA.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:52 pm

THS214 wrote:
This site was started in Sweden. Its also a global site. So why not put the country in the headline?

I think making it clearer in the body of the OP would suffice.
I am the Googlizer!!!

stl07

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:06 pm

You can tell the location by the thread title if you are politically aware. Police/school shootings-USA. Trump/pelosi-USA. Kashmir-India. Burj Khalifa labor dispute-UAE. FIFA bribery issues-Doha. Sure sometimes you can’t, and people in those situations can be more helpful with thread titles like the hospital example. But overall, it’s not that big of an issue as you were able to figure out that it was about the USA
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

afcjets

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:08 pm

THS214 wrote:

"IG report finally released this week it would be unnecessary to include US in the title". How would we know if you don't tell? As you are only interested of what goes in USA i pity you. In that case you are on a wrong site.

Also there are people that can speak English about 10 times as many as there are people in USA.

What other countries this week have a high profile IG report being released this week? More importantly, what other countries have that official title and use that acronym?

Perhaps you should read all the posts before you comment, especially when there aren't that many. I wouldn't encourage others to comment where a topic applies to their country too if I was only interested in what goes on in the USA.

THS214
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
THS214 wrote:

I think making it clearer in the body of the OP would suffice.

Of course it is not necessary to repeat on every post but on the headline and in the OP post. Like: "New Federal rule on Hospital Pricing Structure" as "New Federal rule on Hospital Pricing Structure in the USA". Easy?

Also acronyms (and abbreviation) are not global and often same acronym has many meanings. For example, I would never write KAO thinking that everyone knows its Kuusamo, Finland airport code. Of course I would write the whole place in first post. Also easy isn't it?

casinterest

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:15 pm

THS214 wrote:
A lot of treads on this site are about a single country. Please state that country in headline.

Now on top is a tread "New Federal rule on Hospital Pricing Structure" As long as it doesn't say any specific country it is global. Please state the country.

Thank you

Not all titles need a country, what is needed is that people actually read the article and the comments in it. If you had read the article in the Thread starter for that Topic, you would have seen the Trump administration and surmised it was the US.

If you don't want to read to find out, just google the headline and it should give you an idea of the recent news. We don't need countries since the new site was started. The Flags of user's were deleted.
Where ever you go, there you are.

VSMUT

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 pm

afcjets wrote:
THS214 wrote:

What other countries this week have a high profile IG report being released this week? More importantly, what other countries have that official title and use that acronym?

Perhaps you should read all the posts before you comment, especially when there aren't that many. I wouldn't encourage others to comment where a topic applies to their country too if I was only interested in what goes on in the USA.

What on earth is an IG report even? It 100% needs to be expanded on in the title.

petertenthije

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:24 pm

afcjets wrote:
Unless you follow all the world's news, there is no way for you to know if there are other high profile IG reports due.

The term inspector general is not specific to the USA. According to Wiki there are 13 countries that use the term.

The abbreviation IG might not be specific to the USA either. Especially when you consider that in other countries IG might be the abbreviation for something else altogether.

This is a international forum were English is the lingua franca. Therefor the term Inspector General might still be used, even though the local term might be completely different. Simply because it comes closest to whatever the local title might be.

Lastly, you might want to do a forum search a year from now. Having the country in the title would speed up the search a lot.
Attamottamotta!

THS214
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:33 pm

casinterest wrote:
THS214 wrote:

Thank you

Not all titles need a country, what is needed is that people actually read the article and the comments in it. If you had read the article in the Thread starter for that Topic, you would have seen the Trump administration and surmised it was the US.

If you don't want to read to find out, just google the headline and it should give you an idea of the recent news. We don't need countries since the new site was started. The Flags of user's were deleted.

"Not all titles need a country, what is needed is that people actually read the article and the comments in it." Maybe you have time to read everything (OP, all comments and google everything) I and I believe most on this site don't. Why not put the important part to headline? That's the purpose of a headline!

Never said ALL titles need a country. Only when it is appropriate.

casinterest

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:47 pm

THS214 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
THS214 wrote:

Thank you

"Not all titles need a country, what is needed is that people actually read the article and the comments in it." Maybe you have time to read everything (OP, all comments and google everything) I and I believe most on this site don't. Why not put the important part to headline? That's the purpose of a headline!

Appropriate for what? There is limited space for thread titles as is. If the Thread title doesn't interest you don't read it. If the OP thinks it is important they can put it. If not, no big deal. You are welcome to put country specific information in your thread starts, but don't force it on others. Everyone will be fine with your boycott of threads that lack your particular thread start preferences.
Last edited by casinterest on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redd

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:47 pm

bgm wrote:

That didn't take long.... :crazy:

THS214
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 pm

afcjets wrote:
bgm wrote:

From the forum rules: "As this is an international website..." Sure English is the LANGUAGE of this site but topics are international.

scbriml

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:34 pm

THS214 wrote:

Agreed. There was a thread in civ-av recently about (I think) declining hub numbers. I thought “Ooh, this will be interesting.” After the first couple of posts, it became clear that all that was being discuss was US hubs. I asked the mods to change the thread title to reflect that OP was only talking about American hubs.

casinterest wrote:
Appropriate for what? There is limited space for thread titles as is.

See above. Thread titles are much more flexible now than they were with the old site.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

afcjets

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:44 pm

VSMUT wrote:

What on earth is an IG report even? It 100% needs to be expanded on in the title.

I see your point, but that's not the point the TA is trying to make. Also, if you don't recognize it, it's most likely not about your county. That's what I assume when I see a title and I have no idea what it is.

AeroVega

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm

If you do not understand the title then the topic is likely of little interest to you.

But personally, as a non-American, I just love to read about the latest Izod fashion line or whether Macy's is busier than JC Penney in Phoenix this time of year.

TSS

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:03 pm

THS214 wrote:
Also acronyms (and abbreviation) are not global and often same acronym has many meanings. For example, I would never write KAO thinking that everyone knows its Kuusamo, Finland airport code. Of course I would write the whole place in first post. Also easy isn't it?

Very easy, and quite sensible. Now if we could only get most of the posters in Civ/Av to adopt your attitude...
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

afcjets

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
THS214 wrote:

Agreed. There was a thread in civ-av recently about (I think) declining hub numbers. I thought “Ooh, this will be interesting.” After the first couple of posts, it became clear that all that was being discuss was US hubs. I asked the mods to change the thread title to reflect that OP was only talking about American hubs.

I totally agree when it's about aviation, but the TA gave a non-aviation example.

THS214
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 pm

afcjets wrote:
scbriml wrote:
THS214 wrote:

I totally agree when it's about aviation, but the TA gave a non-aviation example.

What difference it has based on where it is on this site?

TA: https://www.abbreviations.com/TA This is the point of this thread.

bgm

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:17 pm

afcjets wrote:
scbriml wrote:
THS214 wrote:

What is a TA?

einsteinboricua

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:28 am

afcjets wrote:
Also, if you don't recognize it, it's most likely not about your county. That's what I assume when I see a title and I have no idea what it is.

This should suffice. Especially if you don't have an opinion about it in the first place.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

afcjets

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:06 am

THS214 wrote:
What difference it has based on where it is on this site?

Because you cannot determine a region by aviation terms like hub, airport, market share, 777, A380, etc. When someone says Brexit they're talking about the UK, fake news likely the US, it's really not hard to guess in most non aviation topics by the subject and if it is you can open it to find out.

THS214 wrote:
TA: https://www.abbreviations.com/TA This is the point of this thread.

TA = Topic Author. It's a term I saw on this website under forum rules.

seb146

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 am

THS214 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
bgm wrote:

As was stated earlier, it is all about context. How many European nations need to be told about hospital pricing and health care costs? There is another post about JC Penny's vs. Macy's. That thread is self explanatory with regard to nation. Same with any of the "Protests in..." threads. I think it is good to not name the country in the thread title. If someone clicks on it, they could read about a topic from a different country. I think that is a good thing.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Braybuddy

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:32 am

I don't know why this site can't put the national flag of the poster next to their username, the way the older version used to. I know some people used to play around with their flags, but by-and-large it was an immediate reference to the location. As for airport abbreviations, on the old site all you had to do was hold the cursor over, or touch, the abbreviation for the full name and country to appear.

I know it had it's drawbacks, but in some instances the older site was actually better.

TSS

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:07 am

seb146 wrote:
There is another post about JC Penny's vs. Macy's. That thread is self explanatory with regard to nation.

That thread might have been about Ireland because JC Penney's is popular there, but a little research showed there is no Macy's on The Emerald Isle. There is, however, a Macy's in Dublin, Ohio.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

THS214
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:38 am

afcjets wrote:

Could you point where in forum rules as I can't find? Also why not simply write topic author instead TA?

N14AZ

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:46 am

THS214 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Could you point where in forum rules as I can't find? Also why not simply write topic author instead TA?

What the heck is a forum rule? :duck: :duck:

THS214
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 am

N14AZ wrote:
THS214 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

What the heck is a forum rule? :duck: :duck:

Something like this: "Please use the most relevant and descriptive title for your topics. The topic of your thread should therefore be as detailed as possible." ;)

afcjets

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:21 am

THS214 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

It might've been on the old site, perhaps a moderator can comment. TA is more efficient. Also, once again it's all about context. It was clear from my post that I was referring to the person who posted this subject.

trpmb6

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Since not everyone knows what "OP" stands for I respectfully request that all TA not use acronyms in their topic subject.

THS214
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Since not everyone knows what "OP" stands for I respectfully request that all TA not use acronyms in their topic subject.

Sarcasm my friend sarcasm.I thought it was obvious but looks like I failed. And this topic is not against you. Your thread was on top and that is why i selected it.

casinterest

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Everyone, please put a shorthand abbreviation guide into your posts so that we can understand with perfect clarity what you are referring to in the thread title.

trpmb6

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:29 am

THS214 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Sarcasm my friend sarcasm.I thought it was obvious but looks like I failed. And this topic is not against you. Your thread was on top and that is why i selected it.

My post was sarcastic, I should have used the :sarcasm: emoji.

I didn't feel targeted. I actually agree that us Americans are far too self centered in our topics. I actually thought about that before posting, and almost didnt even post my topic at all - because to be Frank this forum is flush full of american centric political threads... but I decided my desire to hear what others thought outweighed the few who would be inconvenienced. I figured the body of my post made it clear on the sourcing and locale of interest.

I'm all for being more descriptive in topics. But as far as I am concerned, if a topic sounds interesting I'll read it. But at this point, I can tell what the content of the post will be simply by looking at who authored it. Makes it easy to skim the nonav forum quickly lol. (Also turns it into a bit of an echo chamber sadly)

THS214
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:30 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
THS214 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

My post was sarcastic, I should have used the :sarcasm: emoji.

I didn't feel targeted. I actually agree that us Americans are far too self centered in our topics. I actually thought about that before posting, and almost didnt even post my topic at all - because to be Frank this forum is flush full of american centric political threads... but I decided my desire to hear what others thought outweighed the few who would be inconvenienced. I figured the body of my post made it clear on the sourcing and locale of interest.

I'm all for being more descriptive in topics. But as far as I am concerned, if a topic sounds interesting I'll read it. But at this point, I can tell what the content of the post will be simply by looking at who authored it. Makes it easy to skim the nonav forum quickly lol. (Also turns it into a bit of an echo chamber sadly)

Read your post again and now I see the sarcasm. Actually it was great sarcasm. So thanks for the laugh.