aumaverick
Topic Author

Top Gun: Maverick

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:15 pm

The new Top Gun: Maverick trailer just dropped this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4U4BQW9OEk

In addition to F-18s and a couple of shots of the venerable F-14, we have this mystery aircraft making an appearance. What do you think this new black jet is, Top Gun fans?
I'm just here so I won't get fined. - Marshawn Lynch

flyingturtle

Re: Top Gun: Maverick

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm

I just watched that trailer, and then I went to look for a thread on a.nut... having watched Hot Shots! so many times, it's difficult to ignore the bravado and jingoism in these films. Spectacular aerial footage is what I would watch "Top Gun - Maverick" for.

aumaverick wrote:
What do you think this new black jet is, Top Gun fans?

You didn't know?!??? :crazy: Black aircraft always belong to the CIA! :old:
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

aumaverick
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Here me out here, but what if this ends up being the official reveal of the SR-72? The military worked closely with the filmmakers on both films, and this would certainly be a helluva reveal!

Aaron747

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Looks very formulaic and the dialogue in the trailer is, well, silly at best. LOL’d at ‘they’re called orders Maverick’. But as others have said, the aerial visuals look spectacular. I’ll just have to plug my ears at the speaking parts.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Okie

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:54 am

aumaverick wrote:

Here me out here, but what if this ends up being the official reveal of the SR-72? The military worked closely with the filmmakers on both films, and this would certainly be a helluva reveal!

CGI could be nothing but pixels or a C152 for positioning purposes and generated from that.

I am guessing some of the shots I saw, the aircraft were just too close together. Whether that was CGI or two separate shots connected together by computer I do not know.
The canopy to canopy shot were possibly a shot deal but the fighter ascending straight up between two in level flight, yeah I am thinking not.

In any case it is a movie about something that does not exist, you have to use some imagination.

So in about another 10yrs of CGI will there just not be any need for actors/actresses. Just use CGI save all that money that made Hollywood, Hollywood.

Okie

Devilfish

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 am

Okie wrote:
CGI could be nothing but pixels or a C152 for positioning purposes and generated from that.

They should use this at least..... :biggrin: .....

https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uplo ... NewJet.jpg
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

trijetsonly

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:50 am

aumaverick wrote:

It would be awesome to have the next generation skunk works aircraft revealed by a Hollywood movie.
Happy Landings

aumaverick
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Okie wrote:
aumaverick wrote:

I am guessing some of the shots I saw, the aircraft were just too close together. Whether that was CGI or two separate shots connected together by computer I do not know.
The canopy to canopy shot were possibly a shot deal but the fighter ascending straight up between two in level flight, yeah I am thinking not.

In any case it is a movie about something that does not exist, you have to use some imagination.

So in about another 10yrs of CGI will there just not be any need for actors/actresses. Just use CGI save all that money that made Hollywood, Hollywood.

Okie

The last scene was shot at NAWS China Lake and utilized a Blue Angel for the "fly-by" shot above the guard shack. It was apparently not CGI but practical effect combined with an overlay of the mystery aircraft CGId in place of the F-18. Apparently a good amount of the shots were air-to-air practical shots vs CGI resulting in the almost 1 year delay for the release.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:02 pm

aumaverick wrote:
The last scene was shot at NAWS China Lake and utilized a Blue Angel for the "fly-by" shot above the guard shack. It was apparently not CGI but practical effect combined with an overlay of the mystery aircraft CGId in place of the F-18.

Guess the Red Hawk is three decades too late to be fighting Kfir or modified F-5 aggressors in this age of alien incursions! :old:

slider

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:16 pm

This movie is going to full of plot holes, inaccuracies, and overall will probably be pretty stupid. It may be borderline awful but I’m going to utterly love it.

I’ll see it in theaters at least three times, I’m guessing.

;)

aumaverick
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:29 pm

slider wrote:
This movie is going to full of plot holes, inaccuracies, and overall will probably be pretty stupid. It may be borderline awful but I’m going to utterly love it.

;)

...you stink. 8-)

slider

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

aumaverick wrote:
slider wrote:

;)

...you stink. 8-)

LOL! On cue, good sir! Well played, hehehe....

Tugger

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Here's a review of the trailer by a former F/A 18 pilot and TOPGUN instructor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KfFOHMeqs

He is cautiously polite (I think he gets the launch from the carrier wrong though)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aaron747

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 am

Tugger wrote:
Here's a review of the trailer by a former F/A 18 pilot and TOPGUN instructor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KfFOHMeqs

He is cautiously polite (I think he gets the launch from the carrier wrong though)

Tugg

Maverick to reviewer: “hard deck my ass, we nailed that SOB”
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FatCat

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 am

slider wrote:

I'll see it only three times today (cit.)
And buy the BRD, and the 4K BRD, and the soundtrack, and the Limited Edition Steelbok, and ... :-D
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

VapourTrails

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:14 am

I will be seeing this in 2020. Thanks also for the link to the analytical review for the trailer. :thumbsup:

slider

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:36 pm

I have to hand it to Tom Cruise. Even though he's a whacked out crazy Scientologist, the dude is perhaps one of the last great action movie stars who just keeps doing ambitious projects. Maverick isn't a vanity project, it's a labor of love. As he said, a love letter to aviation. He could've mailed this in with some CGI schlock, but wanted to stay true to the spirit of the original insofar as cinematography and aerial footage. I can respect that. Not easy, not cheap, but a lot of innovation in the process.

The original Top Gun gets panned for its plot, it's 80s-ish-ness, stilted dialogue, whatever, but the flying is magnificent.

I can easily look past the outdated helmets, the lack of gloves whilst flying, those nit picky things. Give me dogfighting, great aviation shots and I'll be happy.

TheF15Ace

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9lnIDdkMo&t=7s

A little look at how some of the filming was done.

2.21 is quite simply :cloudnine:

casinterest

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:14 pm

TheF15Ace wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9lnIDdkMo&t=7s

A little look at how some of the filming was done.

2.21 is quite simply :cloudnine:

This one will have to be seen in IMAX I think.
Where ever you go, there you are.

casinterest

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:32 pm

I hope that they do a shot like this one in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7dluAFXb0
Where ever you go, there you are.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:24 pm

Would be way exciting if a rogue Red Star Bug sans the USN markings attempt that to "sabotage" the flattop :alert: ..... :bouncy:

strfyr51

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:46 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Looks very formulaic and the dialogue in the trailer is, well, silly at best. LOL’d at ‘they’re called orders Maverick’. But as others have said, the aerial visuals look spectacular. I’ll just have to plug my ears at the speaking parts.

well? His name fit his profile. and he appeared to make CDR so he must have done something right. Screwups do not get scrambled Eggs on their Visor though I flew with a few great LCDR's in the Navy. and one was even a Mustanger who didn't graduate college And? was a full Line officer He was also an excellent mechanic and troubleshooter.