sonicruiser
Topic Author

BBC: Vast pro-Indian propaganda network exposed

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Landed on the front page of BBC this morning. Hardly surprising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50749764

TryToFlySomeday

Re: BBC: Vast pro-Indian propaganda network exposed

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:21 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

Yes I saw that a while ago. It’s important to distinguish this was done by individuals in India, not the government themselves. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the government approved of it, this has been going on for over two decades or so, so you cannot explicitly associate it with BJP, for example. Congress was in power for most of India’s history, with the exception of 1999-2004, and 2014-2024.

Also, I’d like to encourage you to consider that Indians and Pakistanis do have some things in common. We should celebrate our commonalities and just get along where we can. Indians and Pakistanis happen to be BFFs over in the West anyways
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan

stl07

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm

^^Its quite funny how in the west, the Indians are always hanging out with the Pakistanis. But it also makes sense. They look the same (at least compared to, say a Chinese or a white), they eat similar food, they watch similar movies, ect. The only thing really keeping them apart in South Asia is politics.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TryToFlySomeday

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:27 am

stl07 wrote:
^^Its quite funny how in the west, the Indians are always hanging out with the Pakistanis. But it also makes sense. They look the same (at least compared to, say a Chinese or a white), they eat similar food, they watch similar movies, ect. The only thing really keeping them apart in South Asia is politics.

You will also see some of the Muslims from Pakistan marry Muslims from India. My relative for example.
I’m not sure if the same goes for other faiths of Indopak, but I would not be surprised
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan

BawliBooch

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:56 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Yes I saw that a while ago. It’s important to distinguish this was done by individuals in India, not the government themselves. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the government approved of it, this has been going on for over two decades or so, so you cannot explicitly associate it with BJP, for example.

That is like saying RSS was not involved in the Mahatma Gandhi's murder and that was just individual action by one of its members Nathuram Godse! The RSS ecosystem was certainly involved in the murder of the Mahatma just like that same ecosystem is involved in this propaganda network.

Online propaganda through sophisticated but low cost IT Cells have been a key part of the RSS propaganda strategy ever since APCO Worldwide was coopted into Modi's election campaign in 2014. All of APCO's clients like the Kazakhstan dictator, Ruler of Bahrain (who introduced APCO to Modi) and Trump.

The agenda

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Congress was in power for most of India’s history, with the exception of 1999-2004, and 2014-2024.

The difference is pre-Modi and post-Modi. Indian govts have been using professional consultants and lobbying agencies in the US and EU since 1993, including in the Vajpayee era. Post modi, there is greater reliance on inhouse IT cells and tapping into the network of immigrant desis with RSS affiliations. Like Maadi Sharma. Earlier, the focus was on issues like Kashmir. Now it is to cover for their communal agendas.

Indian journalist Swati Chaturvedi has researched extensively into the working of the RSS/BJP IT cells in her book Why I am a troll.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

ElPistolero

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Not really surprising. And not exactly overlooked either. Made me think of this story from a few months ago:

“Some of the federal government’s top bureaucrats have been warned about China and India trying to use their respective ethnic communities in Canada to advance their own agendas.”
“ Such actions include cyberattacks, efforts to spread misinformation and using diaspora communities, either directly or indirectly, to steal technology, influence elections and target Canada’s economy, infrastructure and democratic institutions.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... ce-agendas

We’ve all run into the “more-Catholic-than-the-Pope” diaspora - every community has them. Unfortunately, in some cases, their apparent dual loyalties are forcing them to square the growing discrepancy between the values they’ve pledged to uphold (and which they benefit from), with the diverging - and increasingly incompatible - values that animate the countries of their origin.

Some just “move on”, relinquishing ties with the latter over time. Others cling on, trying unsuccessfully to camouflage their growing hypocrisy with Madi Sharma-esque tactics. The rest of their new country isn’t blind. Everyone can see the hypocrisy; it erodes trust.

And next thing you know, they start viewing immigrants from certain places as fifth columnists.

TryToFlySomeday

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:01 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Yes I saw that a while ago. It’s important to distinguish this was done by individuals in India, not the government themselves. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the government approved of it, this has been going on for over two decades or so, so you cannot explicitly associate it with BJP, for example.

That is like saying RSS was not involved in the Mahatma Gandhi's murder and that was just individual action by one of its members Nathuram Godse! The RSS ecosystem was certainly involved in the murder of the Mahatma...

True, I see your point. Maybe I should specify: that the individuals who did the pro-India anti-Pakistan propaganda in the West are likely not officially employed by either of the two Indian political parties: Congress or BJP. I wouldn’t be surprised if BJP approved of this rhetoric but I doubt the individuals were linked directly to the government. There’s a rule of thumb in America: “innocent until proven guilty” — something India and Pakistan should learn from

Revelation

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:08 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

That is like saying RSS was not involved in the Mahatma Gandhi's murder and that was just individual action by one of its members Nathuram Godse! The RSS ecosystem was certainly involved in the murder of the Mahatma just like that same ecosystem is involved in this propaganda network.

Online propaganda through sophisticated but low cost IT Cells have been a key part of the RSS propaganda strategy ever since APCO Worldwide was coopted into Modi's election campaign in 2014. All of APCO's clients like the Kazakhstan dictator, Ruler of Bahrain (who introduced APCO to Modi) and Trump.

All this reminds me of Episode 51 of Darknet Diaries on the Indo-Pak Conflict that you can access via https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/

IT can generate all kinds of low cost social media influencing. Focused hacking can arise when a given hacker community gets angry. This can be viewed as crowd hacking.

Computer security is such a hard problem. All it takes is one user to click on one bogus email and all kinds of security is defeated. All that is needed is one router or administrative hub to be using one feature that has default credentials and it is vulnerable. Not to mention the vast amount of software that has never been patched or has day-1 exploits.

One might think that those deploying the cyber "influencing" will defeat themselves by spamming us with low quality nonsense, but that problem has solutions that will roll out over time. How would you respond to a phishing voicemail in the voice of your parent or your child? It's already being done out there, just not in much volume, yet.

Episode 53 is also pretty chilling if you want to learn what kinds of skills nation states have or can purchase.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Subwayfan1998

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:09 pm

These RSS/HIndutva BJP are Idiots. They always spew hatred and propaganda against Muslims by using Conspiracy Theory just like the Western Far-Right Islamophobes use throughout Social media Platforms by claiming about Babri Masjid was built on the Temple which in fact there is no evidence of a temple under Babri Masjid.but Older Mosques and they claimed Muslims Killed 100 MIllion Hindus and all other Anti-Muslim Conspiracy Theory Nonsense that is spreading all over Social Media.

These RSS/Hindutva needs to be banned and eradicated, they are threat to India.