Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
steveinbc
Topic Author
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:25 am

From a BBC report

If women ran every country in the world there would be a general improvement in living standards and outcomes, former US President Barack Obama has said.
Speaking in Singapore, he said women aren't perfect, but are "indisputably better" than men.
He said most of the problems in the world came from old people, mostly men, holding onto positions of power.

Im very surprised any politician would want to get into the which sex is better at...... It seems a no win discussion
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:45 am

He's right, Sarah Palin and Imelda Marcos being the exception.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:17 am

BN747 wrote:
He's right, Sarah Palin and Imelda Marcos being the exception.

BN747


...and if any of you O-haters wanna take a zing at it, I suggest you run it by your significant other before posting something you hope she never finds out about.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 am

BN747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
He's right, Sarah Palin and Imelda Marcos being the exception.

BN747


...and if any of you O-haters wanna take a zing at it, I suggest you run it by your significant other before posting something you hope she never finds out about.

BN747


You assume all Obama critics are straight males? How un-pc and presumptuous of you.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
BN747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
He's right, Sarah Palin and Imelda Marcos being the exception.

BN747


...and if any of you O-haters wanna take a zing at it, I suggest you run it by your significant other before posting something you hope she never finds out about.

BN747


You assume all Obama critics are straight males? How un-pc and presumptuous of you.


I think he's pretty spot on with the Obama critics on this forum. It's very much the old straight white men brigade. Happy to be proved wrong of course. ;)
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13478
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:24 am

Margaret Thatcher
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Margaret Thatcher


I hated Thatcher more than Sarah Palin...But the Iron Lady was grab 'em by the balls leader, can't argue that. She was no dunce.

I thought about tossing her in on that heap, but can't do it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 am

bgm wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
BN747 wrote:

...and if any of you O-haters wanna take a zing at it, I suggest you run it by your significant other before posting something you hope she never finds out about.

BN747


You assume all Obama critics are straight males? How un-pc and presumptuous of you.


I think he's pretty spot on with the Obama critics on this forum. It's very much the old straight white men brigade. Happy to be proved wrong of course. ;)



Oh how easy would that be...they let a recorded paper trail of exactly who they are...the Internet holds on to history - forever!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:41 am

bgm wrote:
I think he's pretty spot on with the Obama critics on this forum. It's very much the old straight white men brigade. Happy to be proved wrong of course. ;)

Replace your words with gay, black and women and you'd be denounced as homophobic, racist and sexist and your post would be deleted.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 2447
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:51 am

Braybuddy wrote:
bgm wrote:
I think he's pretty spot on with the Obama critics on this forum. It's very much the old straight white men brigade. Happy to be proved wrong of course. ;)

Replace your words with gay, black and women and you'd be denounced as homophobic, racist and sexist and your post would be deleted.


So what -ist would old straight white men be classed under?

Again, happy to be proved wrong.
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:28 am

Braybuddy wrote:
bgm wrote:
I think he's pretty spot on with the Obama critics on this forum. It's very much the old straight white men brigade. Happy to be proved wrong of course. ;)

Replace your words with gay, black and women and you'd be denounced as homophobic, racist and sexist and your post would be deleted.


Because that makes ZERO sense...

It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

Stability and balance can only be achieved with power-sharing at the pain and expense of those who held it most & longest (exploitation and built on the backs of the above).

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:49 am

bgm wrote:
So what -ist would old straight white men be classed under?

Again, happy to be proved wrong.

File "white" under racist. The rest would come under the headings of ageism, misandry and heterophobia, if you were to use the same low bar used for the terms racism, homophobia and misogyny,
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:53 am

BN747 wrote:
Because that makes ZERO sense...

It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

Stability and balance can only be achieved with power-sharing at the pain and expense of those who held it most & longest (exploitation and built on the backs of the above).

BN747

Ageism at its worst!
 
cpd
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 am

steveinbc wrote:
From a BBC report

If women ran every country in the world there would be a general improvement in living standards and outcomes, former US President Barack Obama has said.
Speaking in Singapore, he said women aren't perfect, but are "indisputably better" than men.
He said most of the problems in the world came from old people, mostly men, holding onto positions of power.

Im very surprised any politician would want to get into the which sex is better at...... It seems a no win discussion


What BBC report?


I don’t see why anyone would get into that discussion. Both male and female sides have equally inept and or callous / thoughtless / psychopathic leaders/managers.

Yet you can also find some brilliant people who are always at the top of their game, no matter what the situation.
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Because that makes ZERO sense...

It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

Stability and balance can only be achieved with power-sharing at the pain and expense of those who held it most & longest (exploitation and built on the backs of the above).

BN747

Ageism at its worst!


The adverb 'old' has no bearing on any of what I wrote, I just left there in a cut n paste reply nothing more.

You can drop the 'old' and the statement still applies except in the 'old white man' class, that specific demo is where the problem solving runs to a brick wall, they are doing their best to recruit young racists to continue carrying on their war to hang on to what was...but it isn't sticking.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
extender
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Obama, Corbyn, Trump; hell anyone can claim whatever they want. There is no right answer on this one.
 
dmg626
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Michelle made him say it
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Because that makes ZERO sense...

It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

Stability and balance can only be achieved with power-sharing at the pain and expense of those who held it most & longest (exploitation and built on the backs of the above).

BN747

Ageism at its worst!


Ok, boomer. :roll:
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:18 pm

steveinbc wrote:
From a BBC report

If women ran every country in the world there would be a general improvement in living standards and outcomes, former US President Barack Obama has said.
Speaking in Singapore, he said women aren't perfect, but are "indisputably better" than men.
He said most of the problems in the world came from old people, mostly men, holding onto positions of power.

Im very surprised any politician would want to get into the which sex is better at...... It seems a no win discussion


You’re quoting Obama....where is the link? As if I trust you, or anyone, on what Obama said in a speech, where you’ve selectively quoted a few words.
 
steveinbc
Topic Author
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:30 pm

steveinbc wrote:
From a BBC report

If women ran every country in the world there would be a general improvement in living standards and outcomes, former US President Barack Obama has said.
Speaking in Singapore, he said women aren't perfect, but are "indisputably better" than men.
He said most of the problems in the world came from old people, mostly men, holding onto positions of power.

Im very surprised any politician would want to get into the which sex is better at...... It seems a no win discussion
l

I can't get a link from the BBC app. However a simple search found the same information on CBS.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/barack-oba ... -than-men/
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72
 
910A
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:02 pm

A majority woman legislature got bills passed that were important to their caucus.

Issues of particular interest or relevance to women were significant elements of the Democratic legislative blueprint: economic opportunity, health care, education, housing, and criminal and social justice.
“I don’t think it’s any surprise that those are the kinds of topics that got attention, because when you have that many women serving in the Legislature, they know that those are kind of critical life or death, or at least economic prosperity issues for women,” Ratti said.


https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/poli ... e-1693390/
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 pm

BN747 wrote:
The adverb 'old' has no bearing on any of what I wrote, I just left there in a cut n paste reply nothing more

Yes Donald . . . sorry BN747! You only used the word five times in your post, and it's the common denominator in all three of the demographics you describe pejoratively. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

SanDiegoLover wrote:
Ok, boomer. :roll:

Likewise Xer . . . :roll:
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
The adverb 'old' has no bearing on any of what I wrote, I just left there in a cut n paste reply nothing more

Yes Donald . . . sorry BN747! You only used the word five times in your post, and it's the common denominator in all three of the demographics you describe pejoratively. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:



Dude, I'm probably older than...stop with being all butt hurt and panties in a bunch because you saw the word 'old'...I explained it, you don't like it and you'd rather sit wiping away tears - get past it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:51 pm

I wish Holland for once get a female PM. Never ever had one.
I already have two qualified candidates in mind, For those on the right: Neelie Kroes, for those on the left: Gerdi Verbeet.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

BN747 wrote:
Dude, I'm probably older than...stop with being all butt hurt and panties in a bunch because you saw the word 'old'...I explained it, you don't like it and you'd rather sit wiping away tears - get past it.

BN747

The only tears I'm shedding are those of laughter. For someone who endlessly ridicules Donald Trump you brazenly follow his example of denial. Can members of A.net be impeached? :scratchchin: Oh the irony! :lol:
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I wish Holland for once get a female PM. Never ever had one.
I already have two qualified candidates in mind, For those on the right: Neelie Kroes, for those on the left: Gerdi Verbeet.

We've had two female presidents here in Ireland and they revived and made relevant what had become a moribund office. Both were enormously popular and successful, even though the position carries no real power.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I wish Holland for once get a female PM. Never ever had one.
I already have two qualified candidates in mind, For those on the right: Neelie Kroes, for those on the left: Gerdi Verbeet.

We've had two female presidents here in Ireland and they revived and made relevant what had become a moribund office. Both were enormously popular and successful, even though the position carries no real power.


In all fairness, we had a string of queens as head of state in The Netherlands who did a very good job. Probably much better than the first three kings (since 1815).
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2467
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Not wrong. Women know what they are doing. Who do you think the leader of your house was when you were growing up? It sure wasn't your dad.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13478
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:31 pm

BN747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Margaret Thatcher


I hated Thatcher more than Sarah Palin...But the Iron Lady was grab 'em by the balls leader, can't argue that. She was no dunce.

I thought about tossing her in on that heap, but can't do it.

BN747


We agree again? :faint:

Though I think Palin was a competent Governor she can't hold a candle to the Iron Lady. She was awesome.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Dude, I'm probably older than...stop with being all butt hurt and panties in a bunch because you saw the word 'old'...I explained it, you don't like it and you'd rather sit wiping away tears - get past it.

BN747

The only tears I'm shedding are those of laughter. For someone who endlessly ridicules Donald Trump you brazenly follow his example of denial. Can members of A.net be impeached? :scratchchin: Oh the irony! :lol:


Glad to help...but no f*n clue as to what you're yammering about...hopefully your answering this will put you in stitches..so when did I sexually assault women, take money from Russians, sell America out to Russia, praise Putin, fight with veterans 'dead or alive', perv on my daughter (gotta have one 1st), lie and block my taxes, fight with little girls on twitter, etc..when?

Now, your willingness to punch out a teen who doused you with a banana pie while you're giving a nonsensical bigoted speech (as admitted by you in past thread)...that is very consistent trump supporter thought patterns...!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:16 pm

BN747 wrote:
Glad to help...but no f*n clue as to what you're yammering about

Oh you've a short memory! Earlier today you posted:

BN747 wrote:
It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

To which I replied:

Braybuddy wrote:
Ageism at its worst!

And you came back with:

BN747 wrote:
The adverb 'old' has no bearing on any of what I wrote, I just left there in a cut n paste reply nothing more.

Which puts you in the Donald Trump league of denial. Simple as that, which I said quite clearly. I said nothing about "money from Russians, sell America out to Russia, praise Putin, fight with veterans 'dead or alive', perv on my daughter (gotta have one 1st), lie and block my taxes, fight with little girls on twitter, etc.", but nice try at deflection.

And funny how you can a remember a thread from, what, over a year ago, yet can't remember what you posted a couple of hours ago. :scratchchin:
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10612
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 pm

I laugh about the people railing against "the old people" (whatever race or status etc) since they can't beat those same old people. They fail almost every time. For the simple fact that "old people" vote and have more influence in politics due to their being at it longer and more familiar with the levers of power involved.

And by railing against them, and has been noted here apparently without noticing that they are, it just makes the ole people even more motivated.

As to women and leadership, are they better? Ehh, I doubt it as an absolute, I think it is just a pandering statement really. Of course they are and can be just as good as any male leader. And really there is no need to compare as that creates an adversarial situation: Which is better!

Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8478
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:31 pm

At the risk of sounding sexist here, there's no evidence to suggest that women make better leaders. It all has to do with what they believe in and their tools. Ask Argentinians how they feel about Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, or Brazilians about Dilma Roussef. Come back to the US and ask how Oklahomans felt Mary Fallin about her tenure or Sarah Palin in Alaska.

If the gist of the message is "let women lead", hell yeah. After many years of politics dominated by men, it's not a bad thing to see what women are capable of doing (though most just toe party line).

That being said, his timing is a bit off. To say something like this during the primaries is also risky: should we look at Warren, Klobuchar, and Gabbard more closely instead of Biden, Sanders, or Buttigieg? It's almost making the case in the Democratic Party that old men shouldn't lead it. Granted, when a woman led the party, her emails were a big deal and sexism reared its ugly head by insisting that women are too emotional to hold such a position.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
winginit
Posts: 2876
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Because that makes ZERO sense...

It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

Stability and balance can only be achieved with power-sharing at the pain and expense of those who held it most & longest (exploitation and built on the backs of the above).

BN747

Ageism at its worst!


An honest question for you given that while we're in the Non-Aviation partition this is, after all, an aviation forum and you've brought up ageism:

- The mandatory retirement age for pilots, at least in the United States but I believe it's been adopted more or less globally, is 65
- For Air Traffic Controllers it's 56 with some exceptions being granted up to 61

Are those ageist policies? I believe the general consensus is that they're not (and legal precedent backs that) on account of it being a stone cold set of facts that response time, memory, and a vast majority of cognitive functions erode to impactful degrees at those ages.

That all being the case, is it not without merit to argue that those at or over the age of say 65 (be them women or men) are not physically as able to contend with the demands of leadership as those who are younger? Seems a factual, science-backed conclusion - full stop.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10612
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:43 pm

winginit wrote:
An honest question for you given that while we're in the Non-Aviation partition this is, after all, an aviation forum and you've brought up ageism:

- The mandatory retirement age for pilots, at least in the United States but I believe it's been adopted more or less globally, is 65
- For Air Traffic Controllers it's 56 with some exceptions being granted up to 61

Are those ageist policies? I believe the general consensus is that they're not (and legal precedent backs that) on account of it being a stone cold set of facts that response time, memory, and a vast majority of cognitive functions erode to impactful degrees at those ages.

That all being the case, is it not without merit to argue that those at or over the age of say 65 (be them women or men) are not physically as able to contend with the demands of leadership as those who are younger? Seems a factual, science-backed conclusion - full stop.

They are of course ageist policies. It is currently accepted because it used to be 60 for forced retirement from flying. I am sure that once the "glow" wears off, the 65 rule will be challenged (successfully).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11566
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Here is an article that has some more context.


There are some good statements in there that i tend to agree with.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/16/78854951 ... of-the-way


Today's leaders often reflect their constituents' insecurity, Obama said.

"Part of the challenge we have as humans is that when things get complicated and confusing we tend to want to block it out and look for simple answers," Obama was quoted as saying by the Straits Times. "So we are, oftentimes, getting a leadership that reflects our own insecurities and problems
."

This is the current issue with the GOP. They reflect the insecurities and problems and don't work to solve them. They work to block them out.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Glad to help...but no f*n clue as to what you're yammering about

Oh you've a short memory! Earlier today you posted:

BN747 wrote:
It's very much the old gay men brigade. - Although they exist, they never been a trendsetting demographic with centuries practicing their hatred upon the 3 categories you selected lacking sensitivity greatly on your part.
It's very much the old black men brigade. - they existed too, and never in a position to establish society based on race but the very receiving end such.
It's very much the old women brigade. - and finally, young or old, the longest standing oppressed demographic of all.

...yeah, coming at those who are outside 'old white man' class is exactly what it looks like.

To which I replied:

Braybuddy wrote:
Ageism at its worst!

And you came back with:

BN747 wrote:
The adverb 'old' has no bearing on any of what I wrote, I just left there in a cut n paste reply nothing more.

Which puts you in the Donald Trump league of denial. Simple as that, which I said quite clearly. I said nothing about "money from Russians, sell America out to Russia, praise Putin, fight with veterans 'dead or alive', perv on my daughter (gotta have one 1st), lie and block my taxes, fight with little girls on twitter, etc.", but nice try at deflection.

And funny how you can a remember a thread from, what, over a year ago, yet can't remember what you posted a couple of hours ago. :scratchchin:


I think being in the 'old' category myself makes an accusation of ageism at me is rather ignorant assessment....the only denial is my acceptance of your application because of a quote from you directly.

If a simple miscue (on your part) such as that makes you align me with trump, I can only imagine how many people you see eating McDonalds food also remind you trump. Oh add the intellectually Lazy, the corpulent (them too?), adulters? Boy, 99% of the planet reminds you trump in one way or another.

W-E-A-K....


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:19 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
At the risk of sounding sexist here, there's no evidence to suggest that women make better leaders. It all has to do with what they believe in and their tools. Ask Argentinians how they feel about Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, or Brazilians about Dilma Roussef. Come back to the US and ask how Oklahomans felt Mary Fallin about her tenure or Sarah Palin in Alaska.

If the gist of the message is "let women lead", hell yeah. After many years of politics dominated by men, it's not a bad thing to see what women are capable of doing (though most just toe party line).

That being said, his timing is a bit off. To say something like this during the primaries is also risky: should we look at Warren, Klobuchar, and Gabbard more closely instead of Biden, Sanders, or Buttigieg? It's almost making the case in the Democratic Party that old men shouldn't lead it. Granted, when a woman led the party, her emails were a big deal and sexism reared its ugly head by insisting that women are too emotional to hold such a position.


The reason I asked for a link was twofold. One to see which sites the poster selectively quoted from, which selectively quoted Obama. Second, was as I expected. This was a private speech, and no transcript is provided. We have zero context. Was this a passing, maybe glib, 30 second or 60 second aside? Was it 10 minutes of a 60 minute speech? Was this even the theme of his speech? Was it just a joke meant for insiders...aka those in attendance? Was it the entire basis of his speech? Was it a response to a question that may or may not have been “leading” or “loaded”?

We don’t know. We only have a tiny snippet of information that a news source may not have even heard first hand, nor do we have any context.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:55 pm

winginit wrote:
An honest question for you given that while we're in the Non-Aviation partition this is, after all, an aviation forum and you've brought up ageism:

- The mandatory retirement age for pilots, at least in the United States but I believe it's been adopted more or less globally, is 65
- For Air Traffic Controllers it's 56 with some exceptions being granted up to 61

Are those ageist policies? I believe the general consensus is that they're not (and legal precedent backs that) on account of it being a stone cold set of facts that response time, memory, and a vast majority of cognitive functions erode to impactful degrees at those ages.

That all being the case, is it not without merit to argue that those at or over the age of say 65 (be them women or men) are not physically as able to contend with the demands of leadership as those who are younger? Seems a factual, science-backed conclusion - full stop.

I fully support mandatory retirement ages, and obviously they should vary depending on the job. I'm a very happy recipient of a company retirement pension (mandatory retirement age of 65, but I couldn't wait that long and jumped ship over six years ago when a package was put on the table). There is no need for anyone over that age to work, but some may want to and good luck to them if they can. But I do believe companies have the right to apply across-the-board retirement ages. They need staff who are physically and mentally capable of doing their job properly, and most people start winding down once they get to their mid-60s. What I was referring to was BN747's sweeping and derogatory generalisations, which were quite ironic given that he regulaly peppers his posts with accusations of racism.

BN747 wrote:
If a simple miscue (on your part) such as that makes you align me with trump, I can only imagine how many people you see eating McDonalds food also remind you trump. Oh add the intellectually Lazy, the corpulent (them too?), adulters? Boy, 99% of the planet reminds you trump in one way or another.

W-E-A-K....


BN747

I couldn't resist the comparison given that you never miss an opportunity to denounce your president as a denier, yet you're very capable of being one yourself.

But keep digging.
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
0s. What I was referring to was BN747's sweeping and derogatory generalisations, which were quite ironic given that he regulaly peppers his posts with accusations of racism.

BN747 wrote:
If a simple miscue (on your part) such as that makes you align me with trump, I can only imagine how many people you see eating McDonalds food also remind you trump. Oh add the intellectually Lazy, the corpulent (them too?), adulters? Boy, 99% of the planet reminds you trump in one way or another.

W-E-A-K....


BN747

I couldn't resist the comparison given that you never miss an opportunity to denounce your president as a denier, yet you're very capable of being one yourself.

But keep digging.


We call that the perfect example of 'reaching for straws'...given your method of measure/comparison as demonstrated here since you've joined...you could be trump's hidden brother as far likeness goes...
,,so continue with anemic 'you're a denier' schtick as long as you wish, like trump there's no hope for learning any new tricks - now that has an intentional ageism dig just for you to get even more twisted.

Now proceed to mimic trump by scribbling something super stupid..go ahead, we know it's coming.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:55 pm

BN747 wrote:
We call that the perfect example of 'reaching for straws'...given your method of measure/comparison as demonstrated here since you've joined...you could be trump's hidden brother as far likeness goes...
,,so continue with anemic 'you're a denier' schtick as long as you wish, like trump there's no hope for learning any new tricks - now that has an intentional ageism dig just for you to get even more twisted.

BN747

It's a perfectly valid observation, given your obsession with Donald Trump, and actually quite funny IMHO. And on cue: resort to insults when all else fails . . .
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
We call that the perfect example of 'reaching for straws'...given your method of measure/comparison as demonstrated here since you've joined...you could be trump's hidden brother as far likeness goes...
,,so continue with anemic 'you're a denier' schtick as long as you wish, like trump there's no hope for learning any new tricks - now that has an intentional ageism dig just for you to get even more twisted.

BN747

It's a perfectly valid observation, given your obsession with Donald Trump, and actually quite funny IMHO. And on cue: resort to insults when all else fails . . .


...uh huh...keep going. Right up there with that silly childish letter trump just delivered to Pelosi.

You to specialize in childish antics.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
We call that the perfect example of 'reaching for straws'...given your method of measure/comparison as demonstrated here since you've joined...you could be trump's hidden brother as far likeness goes...
,,so continue with anemic 'you're a denier' schtick as long as you wish, like trump there's no hope for learning any new tricks - now that has an intentional ageism dig just for you to get even more twisted.

BN747

It's a perfectly valid observation, given your obsession with Donald Trump, and actually quite funny IMHO.


You cannot be a military veteran (of wherever you reside) nor a patriot of your country.

Yes I'm am of America.

To see it being led by a complete imbecile (not being cruel but truthful) a seriously inept person as everyone looks on is absolutely agonizing...it's like a live Twilight Zone' episode and everyone is being entertained by the clown. I fear for the rights of all those he has attacked, another term of this level of idiocy will doom America as I know it...permanent.

You calling my constant slams aim directly at him 'an obsession'...knock yourself out, pal. Call me whatever you want.

My country is deep deep shit of losing it's global standing and respect of world leaders..that is alarming for me. Not for you because you have no skin in the game and perhaps your great pleasure in every minute he dismantles our great county.

If I'm the 'obsessed one'...I must wonder what adjective you'd use for those who justify EVERY word he says and every action he takes. I call the unpatriotic disloyal cultist.

I do know this...the last thing America needs is more people like you who think it's no big deal.


That should put into stitches for the rest of the week!

Obsessed BN747

And a note to the obvious...there are many US Military vets...notice their flood of posts on presidential matters past (even here supporting trumps beginnings as POTUS)...and notice now -NONE.
No comments at all...

Why?...because they know their sworn oath to the flag, the constitution and America itself is on a head-on collision with America's disrespecting ignorant leader, their hero - they can't defend him so they choose to go ghost.
Last edited by BN747 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:08 pm

BN747 wrote:
...uh huh...keep going. Right up there with that silly childish letter trump just delivered to Pelosi.

You to specialize in childish antics.

BN747

Resorting to insults when you've run out of argument only loses you the argument. You make derogatory comments, then deny that you did, then deny that you made a denial. Simple as, yet you can't bring yourself to admit it.
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:11 pm

BN747 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
We call that the perfect example of 'reaching for straws'...given your method of measure/comparison as demonstrated here since you've joined...you could be trump's hidden brother as far likeness goes...
,,so continue with anemic 'you're a denier' schtick as long as you wish, like trump there's no hope for learning any new tricks - now that has an intentional ageism dig just for you to get even more twisted.

BN747

It's a perfectly valid observation, given your obsession with Donald Trump, and actually quite funny IMHO.


You cannot be a military veteran (of wherever you reside) nor a patriot of your country.

Yes I'm am of America.

To see it being led by a complete imbecile (not being cruel but truthful) a seriously inept person as everyone looks on is absolutely agonizing...it's like a live Twilight Zone' episode and everyone is being entertained by the clown. I fear for the rights of all those he has attacked, another term of this level of idiocy will doom America as I know it...permanent.

You calling my constant slams aim directly at him 'an obsession'...knock yourself out, pal. Call me whatever you want.

My country is deep deep shit of losing it's global standing and respect of world leaders..that is alarming for me. Not for you because you have no skin in the game and perhaps your great pleasure in every minute he dismantles our great county.

If I'm the 'obsessed one'...I must wonder what adjective you'd use for those who justify EVERY word he says and every action he takes. I call the unpatriotic disloyal cultist.

I do know this...the last thing America needs is more people like you who think it's no big deal.


That should put into stitches for the rest of the week!

Obsessed BN747


Q.E.D.
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
...uh huh...keep going. Right up there with that silly childish letter trump just delivered to Pelosi.

You to specialize in childish antics.
would
BN747

Resorting to insults when you've run out of argument only loses you the argument. You make derogatory comments, then deny that you did, then deny that you made a denial. Simple as, yet you can't bring yourself to admit it.


There is NO insult, if you were a veteran, you would have said so. If you were a patriot of you nation you would have said so.

You didn't. So you aren't.

I own your 'obsession' charge...and you still aren't satisfied, so exactly like trump you keep whining now matter what which tells anyone reading this..you are not capable of understanding the feelings that Americans who appreciate America, feel about what is happening. Now you are free to go find an Obsessed Hong Kong Protestor obsessed and making noise about what is happening there...you should have a field day. But refrain from opening your mouth about things you cannot possibly understand beyond tossing out 'what appears to obsession' to you. You toss that term around with the same meaning as attacking someone obsessed with hotdogs or burgers...like a child.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
mrgrtt123
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 am

I guess we will never know unless a woman will be proclaimed as a president for the next election.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13478
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:56 am

mrgrtt123 wrote:
I guess we will never know unless a woman will be proclaimed as a president for the next election.


With the current line up of woman candidates that will not happen but it's not because we aren't ready for a woman president it's because one is nuts and the other doesn't have the mojo though she has a good shot at being Biden's running mate.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 7898
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:56 am

mrgrtt123 wrote:
I guess we will never know unless a woman will be proclaimed as a president for the next election.


We don't need 'the 1st woman president in America for Obama's words to ring true. Respected women leaders date back to Eleanor Roosevelt (my personal favorite) to Cory Aquino, to Benazir Bhutto to Indira Ghandi and Golda Meir.

It's the American public that is dragging it's feet on a female leader.

Now, the very long list of horrible male leaders....

...list too long to be accepted by the site.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12962
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Obama declares that women are better leaders

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:11 am

BN747 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
...uh huh...keep going. Right up there with that silly childish letter trump just delivered to Pelosi.

You to specialize in childish antics.
would
BN747

Resorting to insults when you've run out of argument only loses you the argument. You make derogatory comments, then deny that you did, then deny that you made a denial. Simple as, yet you can't bring yourself to admit it.


There is NO insult, if you were a veteran, you would have said so. If you were a patriot of you nation you would have said so.

You didn't. So you aren't.

BN747


Most other countries don't follow the US norm on overt patriotism and worship of veterans. I find veteran worship and overt displays of patriotism incredibly childish.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aerlingus747, kalvado, Kent350787, N14AZ, steman and 44 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos