Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

When Native Americans Are Told To ‘Go Back’ To Where They Came From

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:55 pm

When Native Americans Are Told To ‘Go Back’ To Where They Came From
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/native-american-hate-crimes-go-back_n_5dfd34d2e4b0843d35fc0835

from article...
Lori Metoxen, 52, works as an administrator at Oneida Behavioral Health in Green Bay, Wisconsin, a treatment center for indigenous people suffering from addiction and mental illness. Metoxen says one beautiful summer day in 2017 she drove home from work with the windows down, the sunroof open, and her Oneida Nation license plate, available only to members of the tribe, proudly displayed on the back of her car. When she stopped at a traffic light in the part of western Green Bay that belongs to the Oneida Nation reservation, she noticed a car full of white, teenage girls in the lane beside hers.

“Go back to Mexico, you scumbag sack of shit!” one of the girls yelled at Metoxen.

..my my my, just how miserable are we failing to learn from the past and teach future generations.

This is a bellwether of what may come as such Ignorance persist.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

TSS

Re: When Native Americans Are Told To ‘Go Back’ To Where They Came From

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Oh my God... a car full of of petty, insecure teenage girls yelled something ignorant and intentionally hurtful at a complete stranger while stopped at a traffic light?!? STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS HAS GOT TO BE A FIRST!!! :roll:

The only news here is that The Huffington Post has officially begun scraping the bottom of the barrel in search of stories. Were the girls in question exhibiting the worst of human behavior to assert their new-found independence as teenagers so often do? Yes. Does this exact sort of thing happen all across the country every day over every imaginable issue as well as no issue at all? Sadly, yes. Is it in any way newsworthy? No.

Should Ms. Metoxen have responded with something along the lines of "You bunch of ____ _____, read my license plate! I'm not Mexican, I'm Native American! Why don't you little _______ go back where you came from?!?" and then gone on her merry way? Heck yeah!
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 pm

TSS wrote:
Oh my God... a car full of of petty, insecure teenage girls yelled something ignorant and intentionally hurtful at a complete stranger while stopped at a traffic light?!? STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS HAS GOT TO BE A FIRST!!! :roll:

The only news here is that The Huffington Post has officially begun scraping the bottom of the barrel in search of stories. Were the girls in question exhibiting the worst of human behavior to assert their new-found independence as teenagers so often do? Yes. Does this exact sort of thing happen all across the country every day over every imaginable issue as well as no issue at all? Sadly, yes. Is it in any way newsworthy? No.

Should Ms. Metoxen have responded with something along the lines of "You bunch of ____ _____, read my license plate! I'm not Mexican, I'm Native American! Why don't you little _______ go back where you came from?!?" and then gone on her merry way? Heck yeah!

There's the perfect analysis of why such ignorance persist.. just pretend it doesn't happen, doesn't mean anything and bitch about media outlets that report such staggering ignorance that should have vacated this unique brand of stupidity decades ago.

Listen to this guy and lessen your awareness of current trends because, why....it's not important - to that specific mindset.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

CitizenJustin

Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:04 am

TSS wrote:

You sound like one of the horrible administration members when I was in high school who failed to stop the extreme bullying I experienced. “Teens will be teens.”

You don’t want to address the ignorance that allows this to happen. The reason you could care less is because it doesn’t affect you personally.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:31 am

No no, we don't want them to go back to where they came from, that's my house/farm/etc.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TSS

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:03 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
TSS wrote:

You sound like one of the horrible administration members when I was in high school who failed to stop the extreme bullying I experienced. “Teens will be teens.”

There is a huge difference between a teen being bullied regularly by peers or upperclassmen at school where there is no realistic way to avoid the bullies and a 52 year old grown woman getting yelled at once by random rude and inconsiderate teen girls at a stoplight.

CitizenJustin wrote:
You don’t want to address the ignorance that allows this to happen.

In the case of these girls, how do you suggest that their ignorance be addressed aside from the way in which I suggested that Ms. Metoxen respond to them at the scene? Please take into consideration that there is every chance that these girls have parents who will believe any lie their daughters tell them without question, will swear up and down that their precious little princesses would never do anything like what "that mean lady" said they did, and might even go so far as to file harassment charges against Ms. Metoxen.

CitizenJustin wrote:
The reason you could care less is because it doesn’t affect you personally.

Do you really think I haven't been in situations similar to the one Ms. Metoxen was in? Of course I have, but I wrote it off as what it was, assholes being assholes for no good reason as they are wont to do, and I did not let it get me down for more than a few minutes before I shook my head and went on with the rest of my day. If you let random jerks to ruin your whole day by doing what jerks do best then you have allowed the jerks to win.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:09 pm

TSS wrote:
Were the girls in question exhibiting the worst of human behavior to assert their new-found independence as teenagers so often do? Yes.

I think I have seen them standing behind Trump during some of his ralleys....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

johns624

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:04 pm

I have to agree with TSS on this one. It was a random incident by some ignorant teenage girls. The internet magnifies everything nowadays.

dmg626

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:56 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
TSS wrote:
Were the girls in question exhibiting the worst of human behavior to assert their new-found independence as teenagers so often do? Yes.

Best regards
Thomas

Or wearing a maga hat confronting a Native American war hero

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:58 pm

johns624 wrote:
I have to agree with TSS on this one. It was a random incident by some ignorant teenage girls. The internet magnifies everything nowadays.

And that random incident is apart of a smoldering trend that people like you and TSS care not to pay attention to. It just isn't important to you.

So since you types feel 'it's just some silly teens' is missing that entire effect in play.

Before the pervasive internet, this kind of idiocy was just as prevalent however, now instead of individual , isolated unreported incidents...they are now published with increasing intensity.

And make no mistake, it is learned behavior, someone taught this dumbAF ignorance.

As Justin said about, bullying, this comes from branch of violence with a racist twist...make these teens cops and you have those idiot cops shooting people they deem worthless.

Those type of cops are the real deal ...as the string of victims.

You people never to experience such ignorance are whining about just to pitch a 'bitch session', nothing more. Because had you experienced as much..you'd 'know'...but you do not.

I find it very peculiar and telling about you people, this forum is loaded with super silly threads from what did you eat yesterday to the best fabric to Star Wars to NFL games...none of appear there to trash the subject being address BUT discuss a matter laced with racial sensitivities ..you guys go out of your way to jump in and defend the offending actions and try to mitigate the harm, diminish and dismiss the 'no problem',

So is seriously wrong with you people getting all jacked over something you know nothing about...that is the calling card of someone harboring some disturbing issues...and exploding on someone attempting to discuss such issues is even more 'identifying'...

Get help..something is seriously off with your process of wrongness and responsibility, you possess next to none ...regarding other citizens.

BN747

johns624

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:09 pm

BN747--I like how you refer to "you people" several times. Care to explain it? You just have a kneejerk response to anyone who doesn't wholly agree with you. If you'd care to research, I agree with you more often than I don't. I also didn't vote for Trump. I also know the difference between adult, establishment bigotry and a couple of stupid teenage girls. I grew up in Detroit (the city, not the suburbs) and worked for the school system for 28 years, so I know what racism is.
I'm not saying what these girls did is right, not by a long shot, but it shouldn't be blown out of proportion, either. The real indignation should be for people like that 42 year old female in Des Moines who ran over the girl in her car because she was "Mexican".

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:58 pm

johns624 wrote:
BN747--I like how you refer to "you people" several times. Care to explain it? .

Sure, it takes a special kind of person to go out of their way to rail against 'unjust acts against others', situations where their is no 'both sides'.
I'm not sure if you guys would cheer a person who cold cocks someone over the head, video tapes it share it on line...because that assault is not far from a verbal attack - taken out on someone you don't know. Sure, if it happened to you - oh you'll let the world know, but it wasn't it you - so it's easily dismissed an random act.

Those people....you've shown where you stand.

johns624 wrote:
You just have a kneejerk response to anyone who doesn't wholly agree with you. If you'd care to research, I agree with you more often than I don't. I also didn't vote for Trump. I also know the difference between adult, establishment bigotry and a couple of stupid teenage girls. I grew up in Detroit (the city, not the suburbs) and worked for the school system for 28 years, so I know what racism is.

One would never know that about you given the ease that you blew this off as 'silly teens.
Having all that 'racial experience' should place you squarely at the center of calling such acts at every turn..not dismissing as you did,

All that 'racial experience', should have you on par with someone who deals with it frequently (in other words, as if you were walking in the their shoes - your take on this appears as someone who hasn't a clue.

johns624 wrote:
I'm not saying what these girls did is right, not by a long shot, but it shouldn't be blown out of proportion, either. .

Yes you are, in your 28 years of gaining all that racial experience', it should tick you off that in that span of time that particular type of ignorance has not subsided..but has grown.
And your viewing this discussion as 'blown out of proportion' attitude places right long side the arguments such great 'racism doesn't exist anymore heroes like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity - whose arguments would be your exact words in defending and condoning it.

johns624 wrote:
The real indignation should be for people like that 42 year old female in Des Moines who ran over the girl in her car because she was "Mexican".

Exactly, and that woman was also (more than likely) a 'silly teen' like these at some point...and look where it led her....

BN747

atcsundevil

Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Please stick to the topic and avoid making personal comments. It just isn't necessary. I thought people were supposed to be nice this time of year :roll:

✈️ atcsundevil

Tugger

Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Yeah, sorry, not a big news story. A story sure, maybe even worth reporting due to the shear stupidity and meanness. But while it should not happen and it is bullying in whatever way you what to take it, this is mostly just awful behavior. The girls need consequences and there shouldn't be any argument about that. They need to not do it again and shouldn't have done it in the first place. But it's not worth everyone wringing their hands over and wondering how or why it happened. It did, so punish apologize (even if it is not accepted), feel sympathy for and support the native Americans and others that have to deal with this sh!t and are in fact impacted by it, and move on. And don't let it happen without response if you see it yourself. Stand up. Say something. Help. And move on.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

afcjets

Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:06 pm

The irony of this story is from a statistical perspective, most if not all of those girls in the car are likely more Native American than the self proclaimed one running for President.

mham001

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:34 pm

dmg626 wrote:

You mean that kid wearing the MAGA hat who was approached by the Indian while confronting the Black Hebrew Israelites? You know, one of whom shot up the synagogue last month? Is that the kid you are trying to slander?

frmrCapCadet wrote:
No no, we don't want them to go back to where they came from, that's my house/farm/etc.

It is always interesting how some choose to believe history only began when the white man got involved. It is racist, why are you refusing to acknowledge the true history of our so-called "indigenous"? Here's a little secret - they weren't "native" either.

A3801000

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:48 pm

mham001 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

You mean that kid wearing the MAGA hat who was approached by the Indian while confronting the Black Hebrew Israelites? You know, one of whom shot up the synagogue last month? Is that the kid you are trying to slander?

frmrCapCadet wrote:

It is always interesting how some choose to believe history only began when the white man got involved. It is racist, why are you refusing to acknowledge the true history of our so-called "indigenous"? Here's a little secret - they weren't "native" either.

There is a thing called 'whataboutism', 100% BS and used mostly by privileged, old, white men, but please, go on.

dmg626

Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

mham001 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

frmrCapCadet wrote:

Geez, relax, I was being sarcastic. Why do you think I added the part about war hero?

Concierge

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:35 pm

TSS wrote:

You didn't read the article. Sad.

TSS

Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:

I did, but I read the original, unrevised version of the article, not the much longer version as it appears now.

Concierge

Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:27 pm

TSS wrote:
Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:

I did, but I read the original, unrevised version of the article, not the much longer version as it appears now.

It's the same article i read yesterday. It shows updated on 23 December.

TSS

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:11 am

Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:
Concierge wrote:

It is a much-expanded version of the article I read right after BN747 posted the (now broken) link.

Concierge

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:35 pm

TSS wrote:
Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:

It is a much-expanded version of the article I read right after BN747 posted the (now broken) link.

Keep digging.

Concierge

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:41 pm

TSS wrote:
Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:

The url is still the same, the article is the same. Own it.

TSS

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:34 am

Concierge wrote:
TSS wrote:
Concierge wrote:

The url is still the same, the article is the same. Own it.

It is not mine to own. Believe whatever you want to believe.

N583JB

Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 am

dmg626 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Nvm....just saw that you were being sarcastic.