ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fire at Concord, Massachusetts Mansion

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Firefighters are currently battling a major fire at a mansion in Concord, Massachusetts. The fire spread across the roof and down to the lower levels of the home where flames could be seen bursting through the front door and they devoured the white columns on the porch, causing a partial collapse. Water tankers were being used to fill up large tubs because of only a single water source in the immediate area. Chunks of charred wood were seen crashing to the ground as fire started to eat away at the home's facade with the roof and chimney also caving in. It is possibly a very sad loss for such a beautiful and historic building and hopefully, firefighters can save the historic mansion.
https://whdh.com/news/fire-crews-battli ... n-concord/

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Fire at Concord, Massachusetts Mansion

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:28 pm

I watched video about 11am on my local news—it didn’t look that bad but no sign of firefighters inside, just an outside line and a ladder pipe throwing a stream over the roof. Maybe not a hydranted street and ran out of water.

Airstud

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 am

As someone who grew up biking distance from that site, I want to take this opportunity to remind you, as you read this story otu loud, to pronounce the name of the town like "CONG-kerd," and not the way you'd pronounce "Concorde."
Pancakes are delicious.

Revelation

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Airstud wrote:
As someone who grew up biking distance from that site, I want to take this opportunity to remind you, as you read this story otu loud, to pronounce the name of the town like "CONG-kerd," and not the way you'd pronounce "Concorde."

The same pronunciation applies to the capital city of the State of New Hampshire.

Also, I would advise everyone that the locals pronounce Berlin, NH as "BURR-lynn" not "bear-LEEN".

I'm reliably advised the pronunciation was set this way at the onset of The Great War.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 am

Airstud wrote:

Not astonishing. Other words that are hard for MA to say right include Haverhill and Peabody.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Airstud

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Not astonishing. Other words that are hard for MA to say right include Haverhill and Peabody.

Worcester's another good 'un.

(Also difficult for us to be expected to type "out" correctly. :boggled: )
Pancakes are delicious.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:35 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I wonder why so many OUTSIDE MA get those cities’ pronunciation wrong? Citizens of Concord, CA and NC Connor pronounce it correctly, even when instructed.

It was, from the videos and friends in nearby fire departments, a cock-up. Non-aggressive attack, no firefighters inside early, they couldn’t unpin the pipe on the tower ladder to get the stream in the right place, ran out of water.

GF

Jouhou

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:08 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I've never heard Concord mispronounced, but Worcester gets butchered (heard a lead for a band call it wooooo-ses-ter once at a show there like someone tried teaching him how to say it and he couldn't remember and said something that was neither correct nor phonetic ). Over the summer I had someone from Washington state ask me where "leo-minister" is (Leominster).

For reference to people who don't know how to pronounce these, see
https://youtu.be/AckzNzbF5E4

https://youtu.be/aQsv-E9_aVI
Unexpected pronunciations exist in Maine too, although I suspect it has something to do with isolated New England French dialects (like how "Calais" is pronounced),

As for historic buildings burning, it feels like a huge loss in the moment but in the grand scheme of things it's far from the worst thing that can happen to our communities. I live in an old building from the 1800s and constantly worry what would happen if a fire were to be started in here.

Revelation

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:53 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I got a good chuckle when my GPS pronounced Methuen as METH-ooen...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

johns624

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm

It was the British that did it...

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 pm

The mansion in Concord that was destroyed in the fire was Concord's version of Mount Vernon. It was owned by descendants of John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Very sad loss of history.
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/ma ... n/2054338/