BN747

Re: Bushfires in Australia

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:09 pm

stratosphere wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Apologies for asking these dumb questions. How did this happen? Australia is not a overpopulated continent and most of them are nature loving folks. How come millions of animals killed in such a short period. Was there prolonged drought and build-up of dead brush?

How bout arson ? All you climate change worriers on here can chew on this..

https://www.theepochtimes.com/nearly-20 ... 95827.html

WTF? In all this chaos, 200 people arrested for setting fires amid all this?

That's a lot idiots trying make matters worse and destroy their homeland. Well that's human stupidly demographic hard at work.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Kent350787

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 pm

There is a study from UoQ that the bots and trolls are amping up the arson theory, as well as blaming greens for stopping controlled burning. I’ll try to find the link.

There are certain sections of the media looking for any excuse other than climate change for the widespread impact.

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 am

BN747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Apologies for asking these dumb questions. How did this happen? Australia is not a overpopulated continent and most of them are nature loving folks. How come millions of animals killed in such a short period. Was there prolonged drought and build-up of dead brush?

How bout arson ? All you climate change worriers on here can chew on this..

https://www.theepochtimes.com/nearly-20 ... 95827.html

WTF? In all this chaos, 200 people arrested for setting fires amid all this?

That's a lot idiots trying make matters worse and destroy their homeland. Well that's human stupidly demographic hard at work.

BN747

There are some idiots, but a lot of them are inadvertent things that people wouldn't realise are illegal.

But some are deliberate like this one about 800 metres from my house:

I took that photo this morning on my way home from a bike ride. Further along in the burned area you can see the discarded beer bottles, vodka bottles and evidence of fireworks. :grumpy:

You can also see how close it is to houses nearby. I know some of those residents and they would have been pretty worried.

Kent350787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:03 am

Kent350787 wrote:
There is a study from UoQ that the bots and trolls are amping up the arson theory, as well as blaming greens for stopping controlled burning. I’ll try to find the link.

There are certain sections of the media looking for any excuse other than climate change for the widespread impact.

Sorry, QUT - link her https://www.zdnet.com/article/twitter-b ... bushfires/

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Simple answer to the greens theory, they are not in power and have not been. Conservative governments have run the show for nearly a decade now (with strong majorities) and they control everything related to fire management and hazard reduction burning through their relevant departments. There is no other answer than that.

The buck stops with these conservative governments.

Kent350787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:54 am

cpd wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Simple answer to the greens theory, they are not in power and have not been. Conservative governments have run the show for nearly a decade now (with strong majorities) and they control everything related to fire management and hazard reduction burning through their relevant departments. There is no other answer than that.

I absolutely agree.

Aesma

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 am

windy95 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
The increase in bushfires/forest fires isn't just in Australia, but some areas of the USA, in particular California, as well as places like Brazil. Part of this is due to Global Climate Change, but also excesses of control to prevent fires in the past, more people living in and around forested areas and poor choices in construction.

Yes the magical climate change that has an effect on everything and anything. Global cooling, global warming, climate change, climate disruption are all caused by hot air coming out of political scientist, politicians and left wing environmental zealots.

Yes, listening to people paid off by the oil industry makes much more sense.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 am

windy95 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
by hot air coming out of political scientist, politicians and left wing environmental zealots.

In case you are not aware, the last decade of politicians and all their hangers on have all been right wing conservatives in Australia. Environmental advocates, the left wing and others like them have had no influence of any kind for that decade.

All blame must rest with these decade old conservative right wing political parties. Nobody else can be blamed aside from them.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:27 am

It appears reasons are same as here. First time when I saw parched landscape in California, it was hard to believe. Yellow rolling hills and in-between farms with green trees with drip irrigation was a unique sight. There were warning signs posted not to pull over hot car on to dead grass to avoid accidental fire.

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:32 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
It appears reasons are same as here. First time when I saw parched landscape in California, it was hard to believe. Yellow rolling hills and in-between farms with green trees with drip irrigation was a unique sight. There were warning signs posted not to pull over hot car on to dead grass to avoid accidental fire.

Some people don't realise that the act of discarding a cigarette out the window of a car as they are driving along can potentially be enough to start a fire.

You can see in my photo above that everything is very dry, the grass is just about dead already. If you walk on it, you just hear "crunch crunch crunch".

We got some decent rainfall early this morning when a thunderstorm went through but I'm unsure if that would have dumped enough rain on the areas that need it.

A101

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 am

cpd wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

That dosen’ mean that there is no green influence, it just means government takes on the recommendations from several options at a lower level within government who are not elected officials, most elected officials are reliant on there respective dept heads and those heads rely on lower level to help gather information to give government a number of options on matters within its mandate and also have to work within the laws as they stand or replaced or whatever. There are a number of acts of NSW parliament that describes what they can and can’t do. Just because it’s a liberal or labour government in power dosnt mean they are not influenced by the green vote. If Australian politics wasn’t susceptible to the green vote Australia would most likely have had nuclear power in the Menzies era. You under estimate the green vote in the country and it’s influence on the government of the day at all levels of government. But I do agree that the buck stops with those in power

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11371296

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... ought-back

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 am

A101 wrote:
cpd wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

That dosen’ mean that there is no green influence, it just means government takes on the recommendations from several options at a lower level within government who are not elected officials, most elected officials are reliant on there respective dept heads and those heads rely on lower level to help gather information to give government a number of options on matters within its mandate and also have to work within the laws as they stand or replaced or whatever. There are a number of acts of NSW parliament that describes what they can and can’t do. Just because it’s a liberal or labour government in power dosnt mean they are not influenced by the green vote. If Australian politics wasn’t susceptible to the green vote Australia would most likely have had nuclear power in the Menzies era. You under estimate the green vote in the country and it’s influence on the government of the day at all levels of government. But I do agree that the buck stops with those in power

Have you any experience working in government recently?

When a new government takes over, you do realise what happens in those departments, right? Please don’t make me spell it out for you.

A101

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:09 am

cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:
cpd wrote:

When a new government takes over, you do realise what happens in those departments, right? Please don’t make me spell it out for you.

any change of government sees the people at the top change but not the entire department

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 am

A101 wrote:
cpd wrote:
A101 wrote:

any change of government sees the people at the top change but not the entire department

The policies and priorities also align with that of the new government quite quickly too.

Surely you have seen it yourself, I mean you are working in that field, yes? I asked that before but you didn’t answer that.

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 am

Now, let's just bust this myth on greens stopping the hazard reduction burning from happening:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... 28c004947a

And this is from News Limited, a right wing conservative news website - so this is real news, not fake news.

Now what was it that someone was saying that it takes a lot of checks and difficult to plan?

“Sure, there’s environmental and other checks to go through but we streamline those. There’s special legislation to give us clearance and to cut through what would otherwise be a very complex environment.”

That myth is busted too.

TSS

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:29 pm

"Ozzy Man" doesn't hold back letting everyone know what's going on with the bushfires and many Australian's thoughts about PM Scott Morrison's tone-deaf response so far.

(Warning: NSFW- Ample swearing, some disturbing imagery)

Ozzy Man Reviews: Australian Bushfires- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Szk3m9w-4
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

VapourTrails

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:07 am

It’s all about sharing..

Smoke from the Australian fires arrives in Chile and Argentina
Source: https://youtu.be/5LfaxM_Csbo

I am wondering if or when it will go full circle..

Things have stabilised around my way for now. The fires are still burning, but they’re not on the move at any fast pace. This break in the weather, with some coolness, and even some rain forecast this week has been a great reprieve. Not too much rain though, as that would create a set of new problems, with the ground being so dry. This is being called the new normal. I now have my P2 mask and have worn it once. In the minority though it seems - for now. People seem more inclined to just not go out. Air quality levels are more often that not, still rated as hazardous, but compared to some earlier days of 2020, it doesn’t seem as bad, relatively speaking.

Okie

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:00 pm

It appears they have solved the cause of the fires. I never would have guessed the cause was Camels. That it Camels.

https://www.westernjournal.com/australi ... l-warming/

They are going to hunt down and slaughter 10,000 of the 1 million camels in OZ to cure the global warming.
That in itself brings the question of; how are they going to hunt down camels with no guns.

Okie

cpd

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Okie wrote:
It appears they have solved the cause of the fires. I never would have guessed the cause was Camels. That it Camels.

They are going to hunt down and slaughter 10,000 of the 1 million camels in OZ to cure the global warming.
That in itself brings the question of; how are they going to hunt down camels with no guns.

Okie

What do you mean by no guns? Are you telling me those people whose job it is to deal with feral animals don’t have guns? I can prove otherwise. They have them legally and the weapons are used only for that purpose.

TSS

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:38 pm

cpd wrote:
Okie wrote:

Okie

What do you mean by no guns? Are you telling me those people whose job it is to deal with feral animals don’t have guns? I can prove otherwise. They have them legally and the weapons are used only for that purpose.

A bigger question would seem to be: Why bother "culling" only 1% of at least a million camels? One percent isn't likely to make any measurable difference to global warming one way or the other. If they genuinely want to make a difference, they should introduce an unlimited bounty on camels- "X" dollars for each camel head brought in to authorities. There's plenty of good meat on a camel, too, but the local beef producers might object to that.

If they haven't already, introducing a similar bounty on feral pigs would probably have a similar if not greater effect on greenhouse gas emissions because in my personal experience pigs fart A LOT more than camels do.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Dutchy

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm

James Murdoch criticises father's news outlets for climate crisis denial

Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp and Fox cited for ‘frustrating’ coverage of Australian bushfires

Link

Interesting, so all deniers, don't watch mr. Murdoch's news outlets anymore.......
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Kent350787

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:36 pm

Woken by thunderstorms in Sydney today, which is lovely with the rain.

On the BS reporting of the camel cull, here is a more reasoned Explanation https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01- ... fmredir=sm

A101

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Woken by thunderstorms in Sydney today, which is lovely with the rain.

On the BS reporting of the camel cull, here is a more reasoned Explanation https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01- ... fmredir=sm

Yep the land of droughts and floods and sweeping plains:
https://www.dorotheamackellar.com.au/ar ... ountry.htm

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me

And just north of Sydney a yesterday of days ago:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlFIJueKAU

A101

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:29 am

Looks like the climate is changing again :D :stirthepot:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/queen ... 4ac27e5a00

VapourTrails

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 am

Into the last part of January 2020 - after the smoke - for now - it is the dust, this time with large proportions, and being pummelled by hailstones. :melting:

The central part of New South Wales had the big one for the dust.. Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/rural ... s/11881602 Other more populated areas like Canberra and Melbourne have had dust, but not like this one. If my car exterior and the inside and outside of my home is coated in it, the coated clean up there will be one hundreds times this.. The dust is so widespread this summer that Tasmania has even experienced it, from western Victoria I would say.

Now can I say, further south, and to the east, we had the Mother Nature of all hail storms this week. :white:

Hail is not unusual in summer, but ball-bearing size, or marble size more rarely, not golf ball size, in the Canberra region. Lasted just about ten minutes IMHO, in the middle of the day. Cut quite a short and narrow part right through the centre of the city.

Fortunately, myself, and my car were both out of harms way. It was loud, it stripped all trees in its path of half their foliage, killed or injured wildlife, mostly birds, and made the middle of summer look like the northern winter at this time of year.

I don't wish to sound dramatic - but it was dramatic. For the second time on this forum, and this thread I say, I've never known anything like it. The severity of the weather we are seeing. Considering earlier this month we were shrouded in smoke - yes, the air has cleared, but left a trail of destruction on its way through. The record number of emergency call outs, and the insurance industry giving it the category of 'catastrophe'. Note to self: don't buy a really nice expensive car relative to ones personal wealth. It's not worth the worry or the cost of insuring it. Possessions blah.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aquMObTx4

It didn't get as far east as the airport, although they recorded the 117 km/h (72 mph) winds. On FR24 I saw two flights on the taxiiway waiting to depart. What must have it been like for them.. would love to see a video from the inside of the cabin during that..

By mid afternoon the sun was back out and it was quite warm, once again, as it was that morning. As I ventured out later in the day, the warm air was heady with the scent of freshly cut vegetation and eucalyptus. The ground was carpeted in leaves. The hail was still visible on the ground in some areas well into the next day.

Melbourne had a turn the day before. :relieved:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjgHfLXdSCY

LOL that Dorothea Mackellar poem. With all due respect, she is not living in Australia in the 21st century. I love the poem and still find it beautiful in its writing, but it wears a bit thin on me these days. :irked:

cpd

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Thursday was just awful weather, so hot and so dusty, high winds as well. :( 37°C average I recorded and a max of 41.

Then the heavy smoke yesterday morning which even managed to get through my office.

VapourTrails

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 am

Here we go again.. :banghead:

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/emerg ... 0c21de6317

Excerpt from the article:

“A defence helicopter's landing light is believed to have started the 6100 hectare fire threatening homes south of Canberra. Authorities are warning the blaze is the most serious Canberra has faced since the deadly 2003 fires and expected to grow to 7000 hectares on Tuesday night. Spot fires ahead of the main fire were anticipated to reach within one kilometre of the capital's far southern suburb of Banks on Tuesday night. Residents of the small rural village of Tharwa south of Canberra were told late on Tuesday afternoon it was too late to leave and they should seek shelter. The emergency-level fire in Namadgi National Park was heading east and northeast towards Canberra and growing at a rate of 400 hectares per hour.”

CBR appears to be operating as normal, although flight paths have been adjusted understandably.

Seeing and hearing the DC-10 - 911 and 912 maybe both, I think I’ve seen this week, is a welcome distraction from the constant state of alert. The DC-10 in particular, and it’s role saving lives and property, I like it. They are using CBR as a stop, not sure what facilities there are there for fire retardant.. guess I should find out. Go see when it lands. :thumbsup:

VapourTrails

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Seeing and hearing the DC-10 - 911 and 912 maybe both, I think I’ve seen this week, is a welcome distraction from the constant state of alert. The DC-10 in particular, and it’s role saving lives and property, I like it. They are using CBR as a stop, not sure what facilities there are there for fire retardant..

Update on the bushfire situation, as at mid-February 2020. As many have probably heard or read, quite a number of the fires are now out, thanks to decent rainfalls down the eastern seaboard, particularly those fires north of Sydney. The fires south of Canberra are not yet out. They were certainly still smoking away well last Friday evening, but not so much now with the weekend rains. :thumbsup:

In fact, as the pattern of extreme weather goes, there has been some major flooding, more around Sydney and the coastal regions, than my own. Beach erosion is now also a concern in these areas. Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-10/ ... s/11948158

For me, away from the coastal areas, I won’t be unpacking my suitcase for a ‘grab and go’ evacuation, before the end of February. It is a welcome relief though, to not be stuck in the alertness of ‘what is going to happen next’ scenarios. There is some sense of normality returning. The air is certainly a lot cleaner, and the rain has washed away a lot of the dirt and dust. :smile:

Of course, there is much to be done. Over a billion animals lost, and many months of assessing which species may be more endangered, or even now extinct. We are being encouraged to ‘holiday at home’ as tourism has taken a big hit in regional areas. …and the talkfests ensue…

Aviation-wise, it means the fire-fighting efforts will soon be wrapping up their work here. I found two articles on the local firefighting efforts online. The accident of the C-130 has made closer people’s recognition of the unseen crew behind the efforts. The two here feature the VLAT and the ‘bumble bees’.

I did not get out to the airport to see any of the operations, but maybe next time. :eyebrow:

The preliminary report on the C-130 crash is due in the next couple of weeks. Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... h-unclear/

The Californian airman flying the DC-10 waterbomber in Canberra's skies
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... our-fires/

Excerpt from the article: “It is dangerous work because it's low-level flying of a big and cumbersome aircraft, "by hand", as the pilot puts it, rather than relying on computers and automatic navigation. The plane is stripped out inside to keep the weight down. There is the basic insulation and all the internal cabling and a bare floor, but not the 380 seats and overhead lockers which would be in the passenger version.

At the end of the inside of the Canberra DC-10 is the Australian flag alongside the Stars and Stripes - and a hammock for crew and the accompanying American maintenance staff to relax while waiting for the call from the sky. There are three seats in the cockpit, for the captain, co-pilot and, behind them, the flight engineer. Captaining a huge firefighting waterbomber is not routine. "When that call comes and it's time to go fight fires, it's exhilarating," he said.

From the ground, there is gratitude.”

How the fire is being fought from the air
Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... m-the-air/

Excerpt: “Canberra airport has just been upgraded, partly because of the fear that more fire-fighting capacity would be needed. The airport and the Emergency Services Agency learnt from the bushfires last year and put in more water tanks and made those tanks more easily movable so they could fill many fire-fighting aircraft at once, so minimising delays to getting them back in the air. In difficult uneven terrains this might be the small tankers sometimes used for crop spraying. In the fire-fighting business, they are called "bumble bees" because they are black and yellow and buzz around. They can carry 2500 litres of fluid and are small and agile.”