Airstud
Topic Author

Self-checkout at Target

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 am

At the self-checkout stands at the Target store in Chanhassen, Minnesota, the receipt printers are left of the monitor.

At every other self-checkout-equipped Target store I have been to, the receipt printers are on the right.
Pancakes are delicious.

SanDiegoLover

Re: Self-checkout at Target

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:17 am

The horror!

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:36 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
The horror!

Really?

I find it not so much horrific as mildly disorienting.

Also when I use my American Express SkyMiles card, the store # doesn't show up on my statement. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

WesternDC6B

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:51 am

Lots of left-handed folks use that store, you know!
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

dfwjim1

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 am

Airstud wrote:
At the self-checkout stands at the Target store in Chanhassen, Minnesota, the receipt printers are left of the monitor.

At every other self-checkout-equipped Target store I have been to, the receipt printers are on the right.

Good observation. The Target I went to today in Florida had the printer on the left.

BlueberryWheats

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
Lots of left-handed folks use that store, you know!

I'm glad we're being recognised, maybe Minnesota will be a Mecca for lefties in the future.

Most receipt printers in our Asda supermarkets are dexterity non-binary and directly under the screen.

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:25 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Good observation. The Target I went to today in Florida had the printer on the left.

Gasp! Which one? I've been to the ones at Dadeland, Miami Central, and one called "Southside" though it was in Jacksonville and...

...well actually it was years ago and I don't think they had self checkout at the time. Nice going.

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I'm glad we're being recognised, maybe Minnesota will be a Mecca for lefties in the future.

Hold off on those relocation plans, Southpaw: I've been to 45 different Target stores in Minnesota, and Chanhassen remains the only one with the printers on the left. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

dfwjim1

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 am

Airstud wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Gasp! Which one? I've been to the ones at Dadeland, Miami Central, and one called "Southside" though it was in Jacksonville and...

...well actually it was years ago and I don't think they had self checkout at the time. Nice going.

The Target I went to is in Davie, Florida, just down the street from where I live.

WarRI1

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:49 am

I might ask, why you use self checkout, I never have and never will. Another screwing for the workers in those stores. You are doing their work and most certainly are not saving a dime while you screw somebody out of work. For shame!
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

fr8mech

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:09 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I might ask, why you use self checkout, I never have and never will. Another screwing for the workers in those stores. You are doing their work and most certainly are not saving a dime while you screw somebody out of work. For shame!

Probably something for another thread, but have you no concept of economics?

There is always an attendant at the checkout. The Target or the Kroger or the Walmart, etc., has 4 or 5 self-check kiosks being manned by one person. Tell me, how many check lanes do you think would have been open, in the same area, if there weren't a self-checkout? One, yes one.

By the way...who installs and maintains those machines? And, do you think they make more than a cashier?

Also, the Target stores I've visited since this thread started, and there have been 3, all have their receipts dispensed on the right.

I've found the Kroger stores a little more varied. Most of them are to the right, but one of the stores I frequent dispenses the receipt just to the left of the screen...while the coupons are dispensed to the right.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:23 am

fr8mech wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

There is always an attendant at the checkout. The Target or the Kroger or the Walmart, etc., has 4 or 5 self-check kiosks being manned by one person. Tell me, how many check lanes do you think would have been open, in the same area, if there weren't a self-checkout? One, yes one.

By the way...who installs and maintains those machines? And, do you think they make more than a cashier?

Also, the Target stores I've visited since this thread started, and there have been 3, all have their receipts dispensed on the right.

I've found the Kroger stores a little more varied. Most of them are to the right, but one of the stores I frequent dispenses the receipt just to the left of the screen...while the coupons are dispensed to the right.

Yep. One of the ladies who works at my local Byerly's - sometimes as a cashier - says she loves that they installed the self-checkout thingies as they give her time to get a lot of her other work done, see.

And what's this about three Target stores? On my eyeglasses thread you said your stores were "Springhurst" and "St. Matthews" you didn't say anything about a third store you shifty secret-keeper. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:31 am

Airstud wrote:
And what's this about three Target stores? On my eyeglasses thread you said your stores were "Springhurst" and "St. Matthews" you didn't say anything about a third store you shifty secret-keeper. :boggled:

The place is littered with Target stores. The third one I visited this past week or so would have been Middletown. That's the newest one. Big and shiny. Probably 4 or 5 years old, though St. Matthews was being remodeled and expanded at the same time Middletown was being built.

stl07

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 am

fr8mech wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

The gentleman at my local Schnucks always thanks people for using the manned checkout as it gives them more hours. Plus, on my hand, I don't have to look up the codes of every fruit as the checkout people have them memorized. But then again, when there is a checkout line and I have things with barcodes like a pack of soda, I'll be the first to head to the self-checkout line
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Thunderbolt500

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:15 am

They should give you a discount

Max Q

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:53 am

Always wondered why Target never has music playing

It’s a welcome policy though, especially over Christmas
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

WesternDC6B

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:49 pm

My observation about self-checkoouts:
1) They work well at some stores, not others. No matter when I go, what branch, or what I buy, the Kroger one will Do Something Bad, and cause me to wait for the clerk to come and straighten things out. I’d have been better off waiting on a standard line.

2) The ones at Lowe’s are not set up to recognise their own Military Discount system. You still need a clerk.

3) You can tell when you are in a “good” neighborhood vs a dodgy one; stores in good areas may offer self-checkout. It is never offered in dodgy ones.

4) Self-check or clerk-check, I have had the interesting experience - on way more than one occasion - to receive coupons for feminine hygiene products. It is physiologically impossible for me to use them, and I haven’t a wife or PoOSSLQ in need of such things.

WesternDC6B

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Max Q wrote:
Always wondered why Target never has music playing

It’s a welcome policy though, especially over Christmas

I didn’t know this and will bear it in mind.

I have grown to LOATHE Christmas music, simply because so much of it is pure rubbish, or annoying in the extreme.

Were it possible for me to do so, I would rent a flat or cabin well out of town, starting the week of American Thanksgiving, and stay there through the first week of January. I’d take food, beverages, a loaded Kindle or stack of books, DVDs of old movies, and a music source fulled with NON-Christmas music,or, at the very most, the Christmas music of Bach, Händel, Palestrina, et al.

I’d sit back, read, watch movies, listen to music, and be away from crowds, noise, traffic, and holly-jolly ho ho ho.

I’m far from a Scrooge; I just don’t like being Christmas’d to death.

seb146

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:09 pm

I really like the no music thing going on at Target. It makes for a more relaxing experience.

The nearest Target is about two hours away much to the delight of the brosband. Over the holiday break, we went to Target in South Reno (they did not sell beer, wine, or spirits!) and Santa Rosa Coddingtown. Both times, we went through a clerk check line.

I can report, however, both Safeway stores here have their receipt printers to the right of the scanner. The one Safeway just got the self check lines, the other moved the printers from the far left of the scanner to just above and to the right of the scanner.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

mrgrtt123

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:38 am

It doesn't bother me at all, there are a lot of things to pay attention to than the self check-out counters.

seb146

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:44 am

mrgrtt123 wrote:
It doesn't bother me at all, there are a lot of things to pay attention to than the self check-out counters.

We just got a great deal on cookware at Target in South Reno. I really wanted to brows but, as I said, the brosband has issues with me and Target....

fr8mech

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:51 am

seb146 wrote:
The nearest Target is about two hours away.

Two hours!? I can walk to any of the 3 Target stores I mentioned in under 2.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:21 am

fr8mech wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yep, and I live walking distance (ok, 2½ miles) from their corporate headquarters. I can't drive six miles from my Minneapolis home without encountering at least eleven stores in five directions.

seb must be in the real way-out sticky-sticks of the Beaver State
Pancakes are delicious.

seb146

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:03 am

Airstud wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yep, and I live walking distance (ok, 2½ miles) from their corporate headquarters. I can't drive six miles from my Minneapolis home without encountering at least eleven stores in five directions.

seb must be in the real way-out sticky-sticks of the Beaver State

Believe it or not but we are actually closer to a Target than some other places in Oregon! Lakeview, Wagontire, Frenchglen, Fossil, Condon.... I could go on.....

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Walmart's first iteration of self checkout was totally disastrous. Fortunately we had a flood and they abandoned self checkout. (correlation was not causal in this case, merely fortuitous.) Walmart now has self-checkout cubicles(?), about 4 stations in each cubicle, and the checkout person is within 5 feet of you, both supervising and immediately available to assist. I rarely go to Walmart but the system works, usually need assistance.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

seb146

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Walmart's first iteration of self checkout was totally disastrous. Fortunately we had a flood and they abandoned self checkout. (correlation was not causal in this case, merely fortuitous.) Walmart now has self-checkout cubicles(?), about 4 stations in each cubicle, and the checkout person is within 5 feet of you, both supervising and immediately available to assist. I rarely go to Walmart but the system works, usually need assistance.

I go to this Wal-Mart maybe once a month. When the brosband says "I need X, take my card and get it from Wal-Mart" I go. This Wal-Mart was one of the text stores for the hand-held "check as you go" debacle. I always use the "card only" self check machines. I have noticed the person running the self-check area is always scanning a cart load at some other self check station. Add to that, alcohol sales are allowed at self-check machines and Oregon just started charging 5 cents for paper bags. I dread the next time I have to go in.......

dfwjim1

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 pm

I live in South Florida and the grocery chain Publix does not have self-checkout in any of their stores as Publix believes in outstanding customer service. The prices at Publix are a bit higher than other chains but their stores are always clean, they have good selections and their employees are friendly and helpful.

seb146

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 pm

I will say one thing about music vs. no music:

Why do people feel they are at a karaoke bar or on stage at Coachella? Dan + Shay sang "Tequila" for a reason. And the whistlers. Oi, the whistlers! Don't get me started on the hummers! Yeah, I saw it as soon as I typed it.....

The point is, people generally make me angry. The opening line of Hitchhikers Guide... is so very, very true.

Jouhou

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 pm

Airstud wrote:

Where I come from, we call that "French".

I'm actually not sure why we joke about left-handed or backwards things being French. I think it has something to do with the large population of people of French descent around here. Does that joke exist elsewhere?