Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GalaxyFlyer

Re: The Chrysler Building 90 Year Anniversary

Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 pm

Beautiful building. There used be a dental clinic in the very top, might still be there, my niece’s building had a rooftop deck and a great view of it.

ArchGuy1

Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Beautiful building. There used be a dental clinic in the very top, might still be there, my niece’s building had a rooftop deck and a great view of it.

What building was your nice in and did you visit the dentist of the Chrysler Building? Also, the dentist is on the 69th floor.

ltbewr

Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am

I worked in both the 'Graybar' building and 200 Park/Met Life/ex-PanAm building 1990 - 2006 so saw a lot of the higher level details. I have also been in the building, its lobby is awesome, the elevator cars have beautiful wood lined interiors. The Duane Reade drugstore on the corner of Madison and 42nd street was a Chrysler corporate car showroom, Chrysler Motor was HQ'd there for years, Texaco oil also had its HQ for years there including the eastern wing toward 3rd Ave, before moving in the 60's to suburban Winchester Co.
The Chrysler Building is one of the great symbols of NYC, too bad its spire is being hidden by the many new tall buildings especially to the west.

mbmbos

Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
I love the Chrysler Building. I used to work in the Greybar building across the street, so I had a wonderful view of it.

Thanks for sharing this milestone.

Did you ever go inside the Chrysler Building.

I've only been in the lobby, which is drop dead gorgeous.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

ArchGuy1

Thu May 28, 2020 1:48 am

mbmbos wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
I love the Chrysler Building. I used to work in the Greybar building across the street, so I had a wonderful view of it.

Thanks for sharing this milestone.

What is it like compared to the Empire State Building.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu May 28, 2020 2:26 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What building was your nice in and did you visit the dentist of the Chrysler Building? Also, the dentist is on the 69th floor.

South of the Chrysler, In Chelsea. No, haven’t been to the dentist there, too damned high up.

LCDFlight

Thu May 28, 2020 2:56 am

One of my company offices is facing the Chrysler Building. Whenever I visit, I love to look at it. One of the nearby old buildings has dozens of weird terraces on it.

The Chrysler Building is a work of art, one of the finest buildings EVER done by humans. It's that good.

caliboy93

Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 am

It was built in 1930, far ahead of its time.

Pellegrine

Thu May 28, 2020 6:21 am

I wonder how much the lease rates are...
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Kent350787

Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 am

I've been aq fan of the Chrysler Building for many years, but was surprised how overwhelmed by the city it is when I visited the ESB obs deck for the first time a couple of years ago.

I know ESB won the height race, but Chrysler is far superior artistically.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

mbmbos

Thu May 28, 2020 12:40 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

I think it's far more beautiful.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

ArchGuy1

Thu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I worked in both the 'Graybar' building and 200 Park/Met Life/ex-PanAm building 1990 - 2006 so saw a lot of the higher level details. I have also been in the building, its lobby is awesome, the elevator cars have beautiful wood lined interiors. The Duane Reade drugstore on the corner of Madison and 42nd street was a Chrysler corporate car showroom, Chrysler Motor was HQ'd there for years, Texaco oil also had its HQ for years there including the eastern wing toward 3rd Ave, before moving in the 60's to suburban Winchester Co.
The Chrysler Building is one of the great symbols of NYC, too bad its spire is being hidden by the many new tall buildings especially to the west.

What is the interior of the Greybar Building like compared to the Chrysler Building.

ltbewr

Thu May 28, 2020 4:58 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

What is the interior of the Greybar Building like compared to the Chrysler Building.

The Graybar building lobby is not as nice as the Chrysler building, mostly biege and white marble and other stone and tile work, nice lighting fixtures, has stores lining its lobby and direct access to Grand Central Terminal. A major renovation was done in the 1990's It is like the Chrysler Building done in an art deco style.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graybar_Building
This link shows pictures of the front, the lobby and interior offices. https://slgreen.com/properties/420-lexington-avenue

ArchGuy1

Thu May 28, 2020 4:58 pm

ltbewr wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

The Graybar building lobby is not as nice as the Chrysler building, mostly biege and white marble and other stone and tile work, nice lighting fixtures, has stores lining its lobby and direct access to Grand Central Terminal. A major renovation was done in the 1990's It is like the Chrysler Building done in an art deco style.
This link shows pictures of the front, the lobby and interior offices. https://slgreen.com/properties/420-lexington-avenue

Have you been inside the Empire State Building as well and if so, did you ever visit the observation deck.

ltbewr

Thu May 28, 2020 5:05 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Have you been inside the Empire State Building as well and if so, did you ever visit the observation deck.

Here is link about the Chrysler Building with pictures of its exterior features and interior. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Building

Yes, I have been in the Empire State Building and its observation level many years ago. It is also a great piece of art deco design, with a more elaborate stainless steel and marble lobby but not as embellished on the outside as the Chrysler Building.

ArchGuy1

Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
It was built in 1930, far ahead of its time.

What made the Chrysler Building far ahead of it's time when it was built.

slider

Fri May 29, 2020 3:45 pm

One of the most iconic, important, and enduring pieces of architecture ever created. Utterly gorgeous.

agill

Fri May 29, 2020 4:20 pm

mbmbos wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:

I think it's far more beautiful.

Really have to visit the next time I'm in NYC. Such a wonderful building.

ArchGuy1

Fri May 29, 2020 4:24 pm

slider wrote:
One of the most iconic, important, and enduring pieces of architecture ever created. Utterly gorgeous.

How beautiful is the Empire State Building or the Woolworth Building compared to the Chrysler Building.

ArchGuy1

Re: Current Condition of the Queen Mary

Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 am

On May 7, the hotel onboard the Queen Mary temporarily shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic and the restaurants and exhibits were closed on March 16. This will allow inspections and restoration work to take place and hopefully, will lead to real restoration work getting started.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.presst ... demic/amp/

ArchGuy1

Sun May 31, 2020 4:45 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

South of the Chrysler, In Chelsea. No, haven’t been to the dentist there, too damned high up.

Have you been in the lobby of the Chrysler Building before and have you been inside the Empire State Building as well. If so, did you go to the observation deck of the Empire State Building.

ArchGuy1

Re: Pier 97 in New York City to Be Transformed Into a Park

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:52 am

Pier 97 used to be the passenger ship terminal in New York City for the Swedish American Line.
http://www.salship.se/pier97.php

ArchGuy1

Floating Park on Pier 55 in New York City

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Work is continuing on a floating park called Little Island on Pier 55 in the Chelsea area of Manhattan with more trees and greenery being planted. The project was designed by Thomas Heatherwick with the landscaping designed by MNLA and managed by the Hudson River Park Trust and was conceived to resemble a leaf floating on water. The hollow steel frame that was once part of Cunard's Pier 54 is being preserved at the southern gateway, with the second access point a short distance to the north. The railings along the eastern edge of the island facing Manhattan have already been installed with trees and plants of various sizes, shapes, and species already planted on top of the funnel shaped pods already visible. Over 100 types will be planted on Little Island with most of the greenery seen now on the eastern side of the park. The western end of Pier 55 will feature a wording path to the highest elevation at a height of 62 feet and feature a lookout point facing the Hudson River surrounded by tall trees. This section incorporates steep inclines and breaks in the undulating surface to create pocketed void looking down to the water below. The park is a short walk from the High Line and the pier will offer visitors wide vistas of the entire Manhattan skyline from the financial district to Midtown, along with uninterrupted panoramic sunsets over the Hudson River and Jersey City. It is a very exciting project that will add more park space for New Yorkers and is a very unique design that will draw people locally.
https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/06/landsc ... elsea.html

TSS

Re: Floating Park on Pier 55 in New York City

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 pm

It looks like a clump of mushrooms with greenery on top. They should paint the cement parts orange and call it Chantarelle Park.

Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 am

TSS wrote:
It looks like a clump of mushrooms with greenery on top. They should paint the cement parts orange and call it Chantarelle Park.

Will the park become popular with local visitors due to it's unique design?

TSS

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:00 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:

It's a green space in one of the most densely urban cities on the planet, so it'll be popular for that reason alone regardless of design. My question is how much more this park, where all the plants are essentially potted plants, will cost the city of New York to maintain versus a conventional park of the same size and will NYC continue to maintain it long term?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:04 am

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:

It's a green space in one of the most densely urban cities on the planet, so it'll be popular for that reason alone regardless of design. My question is how much more this park, where all the plants are essentially potted plants, will cost the city of New York to maintain versus a conventional park of the same size and will NYC continue to maintain it long term?

I think that it would draw architecture buffs to visit though.

stl07

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:02 am

What the hell were the designers thinking
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:36 pm

stl07 wrote:

I am sure that they wanted a unique design for a pier that would attract visitors from the New York City area.

stl07

Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:20 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I am sure that they wanted a unique design for a pier that would attract visitors from the New York City area.

That was the goal, I'm sure, but I don't see that displayed in the final result
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ArchGuy1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:47 pm

stl07 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

That was the goal, I'm sure, but I don't see that displayed in the final result

Would you visit the new island park under construction once it is complete.

ArchGuy1

One World Observatory in New York City

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm

One World Observatory on the 100th-102nd floors of the Freedom Tower in New York City has been open to the public since May 29, 2015 and has become a popular tourist attraction. It has a number of interactive features, including elevators that show the city being built over 400 years and a glass portal that shows cameras looking down at the street below. There are also a few dining options as well. It is a very impressive attraction that should be visited when it is possible to visit again after COVID-19.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1306571&p=18300539&hilit=Empire+state+building#p18300539
https://blog.headout.com/one-world-observatory/

ArchGuy1

The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:25 am

The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City connects Manhattan with Brooklyn and was completed in 1883. When it was built, the bridge had a pedestrian promenade, four lanes of road traffic, streetcar lines, and two tracks for elevated trains. Today, the bridge has a promenande for pedestrians and bicycles and six lanes for vehicle traffic. Construction began in 1870 and took 13 years to be completed and since then, it has become an iconic landmark for New York City. I find it to be an impressive bridge with Gothic style towers and it is suspension bridge with four main cables.

Kent350787

Re: The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 am

Is there anything new happening with ehe bridge? I thought the Dumbo redevelopment proposal the other week was interesting.

An amazing construction effort for its time, the pedestrian/cycle way suffers capacity issues during peak periods, and makes cycling hardly worthwhile.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Another interesting engineering fact, the Brooklyn Bridge also has some 'cable staying' as well as suspension.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

T18

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Random fact, during the construction at least 20 workers will killed, including the designer of the bridge who was injured on the site and died 20+ days later from an infection resulting from his injury.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

casinterest

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:14 pm

The Brooklyn Bridge's 1.1+ mile pedestrian walkway is used by commuters to get to and from work, while also providing scenic vistas for many of New York's Iconic features.

Access to the Brooklyn Bridge is 24 hours per day and it is beautiful at any time of day, but sunset is particularly nice!

This way, you can take in the views of both Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Statue of Liberty while there is still light out and then watch as all the sights come to life with electric wonder.

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/walking-the ... ridge/#how
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArchGuy1

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Is there anything new happening with ehe bridge? I thought the Dumbo redevelopment proposal the other week was interesting.

An amazing construction effort for its time, the pedestrian/cycle way suffers capacity issues during peak periods, and makes cycling hardly worthwhile.

DUMBO is located under the Manhattan Bridge, not the Brooklyn Bridge.

stlgph

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:21 pm

the Brooklyn Bridge is annoying. the Manhattan Bridge is much better with a lot less annoying idiots.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ArchGuy1

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 pm

stlgph wrote:
the Brooklyn Bridge is annoying. the Manhattan Bridge is much better with a lot less annoying idiots.

What makes the Brooklyn Bridge so annoying?

Kent350787

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Sorry, very true - not sure why I was off-track. There is also opportunity under the Brooklyn side of Brooklyn Bridge for improvements. Not a lot that can be done for the ped/cycle shared pathway - like most, it's a fail for both parties once volumes increase.

ArchGuy1

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:12 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Sorry, very true - not sure why I was off-track. There is also opportunity under the Brooklyn side of Brooklyn Bridge for improvements. Not a lot that can be done for the ped/cycle shared pathway - like most, it's a fail for both parties once volumes increase.

Have you personally crossed the Brooklyn Bridge before and if so, what was it like?

Kent350787

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:27 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Have you personally crossed the Brooklyn Bridge before and if so, what was it like?

Yes I have, on foot on an admittedly busy holiday (NYD). Cyclists were quite reasonably frustrated with being blocked by pedestrians, but there appeared to be limited other practical solutions. Perhaps in the busiest time it should be a clear preference for pedestrians?

But what was it like - as with any approach to Manhattan, it is spectacular walking towards that place. A ferry approach is probably the only one that give that great sense of scale.

OT, but this is an issue for all busy shared pathways. During the quest for COVID exercise, pathway traffic volumes have meant that roadways are more practical for cyclists who want to travel faster than walking speed.

ArchGuy1

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Yes I have, on foot on an admittedly busy holiday (NYD). Cyclists were quite reasonably frustrated with being blocked by pedestrians, but there appeared to be limited other practical solutions. Perhaps in the busiest time it should be a clear preference for pedestrians?

But what was it like - as with any approach to Manhattan, it is spectacular walking towards that place. A ferry approach is probably the only one that give that great sense of scale.

OT, but this is an issue for all busy shared pathways. During the quest for COVID exercise, pathway traffic volumes have meant that roadways are more practical for cyclists who want to travel faster than walking speed.

What is the Brooklyn Bridge like compared to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty?

Kent350787

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:55 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What is the Brooklyn Bridge like compared to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty?

How can you really compare them - each is an icon of NYC (and the US) for very different reasons.

For me, the Statue is inextricably linked to Ellis island and the positivity and openess of the US as a nation wlecoming imiigrants.

ESB has an iconic role in popular culture, but (for me) is architecturally the least of the ESB/Chrysler/Rockefeller boom scrapers.

ArchGuy1

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 am

Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

How can you really compare them - each is an icon of NYC (and the US) for very different reasons.

For me, the Statue is inextricably linked to Ellis island and the positivity and openess of the US as a nation wlecoming imiigrants.

ESB has an iconic role in popular culture, but (for me) is architecturally the least of the ESB/Chrysler/Rockefeller boom scrapers.

Did you ever go inside the Statue of Liberty and if so, how far up did you go?

Kent350787

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:07 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Did you ever go inside the Statue of Liberty and if so, how far up did you go?

No, I've only visited Liberty Island and done the external tour. I was very moved by Ellis Island - Liberty is almost "just a thing".

ArchGuy1

Lotus Tower Opening Delayed

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:56 pm

The opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka has been delayed until next year as the government encourages local and foreign entrepreneurs to participate. Local and foreign investors are encouraged to have the opportunity to open restaurants, shops, and recreational facilities on the premises in addition to the project, while allowing for traditional creations as well. The Sri Lankan president is encouraging opportunities for locals to enjoy and view the Lotus Tower in a similar manner as foreign tourists and these issues are being discussed in detail. When the Lotus Tower is opened, it could hopefully become a popular tourist attraction for both locals and foreign tourists alike.
https://colombogazette.com/2020/06/15/o ... next-year/

ArchGuy1

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2020

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:37 am

The Eiffel Tower in Paris will reopen on Thursday, but visitors will have to take the stairs until at least the start of July. Also, only the first two observation decks will be open and a one way traffic system will be put in place. This is a good step toward reopening a very iconic structure.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.france ... ake-stairs

ArchGuy1

Re: Art Deco Mill in Southampton, England to be Demolished

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:22 pm

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
1. The mill IS NOT Art Deco. The only style it has is 1930s Industrial, which shares the design elements of straight lines and right angles with Art Deco because buildings are easier to build that way. Art Deco is also typified by strong horizontal motifs and rounded corners, of which this building has none. Just because this building was built when the Art Deco style was popular does not mean it is of that style.

2. It is a former flour mill that has outlived it's usefulness in an area where there is apparently quite a bit of redevelopment going on.

3. 80 or 90 years is nothing for a building in the UK. I suspect long-term local residents might refer to it as "the new mill" even today.

4. The photo in the article was very carefully framed to only show the marginally attractive part of the structure. The rest of it looks very much like a typical industrial mill and is devoid of architectural merit.

What do the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building have going for them that warrants their preservation.

That is a good enough question that I am going to temporarily overlook your continuing refusal to use a question mark to denote sentences as questions despite my repeated requests that you do so.

1. Both have been continuously in use since they were built and are used for the same purpose for which they were originally designed, office buildings, so with them there's no question of "Can we take this building and turn it in to a very compromised version of something it was never intended to be just to keep it from being torn down?".

2. Both are genuine landmarks and are emblematic of the city in which they are located.

3. One (possibly both) held the record for "World's Tallest Building" (I think the Chrysler Building held that record for a very short time before the Empire State Building was completed), a bit of history that relates to the actual building(s), not just to an event that occurred in the building(s).

4. Both are architecturally unique and most if not all of their original decorative elements remain intact and undisturbed, i.e. nobody got the hare-brained idea to strip away and discard all their trim in a misguided effort to make them look more "modern" as happened to and ruined so many other architecturally noteworthy buildings during the 50s and 60s.

The Empire State Building has an observation deck on the 86th and 102nd floors that draws 3.5 to 4.5 million visitors a year and the Chrysler Building is having an observation deck opened on the 61st and 62nd floors in the next couple years.