Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2020

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:47 pm

The observation deck of the Sears Tower in Chicago, including The Ledge will be reopening on July 3 after being closed since March by COVID-19 and will be only open on weekends for the time being. Still a great step forward to entering a new normal.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chicag ... k/6274956/

ArchGuy1

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:30 am

A horizontal skyscraper 820 feet in the air has been opened to the public in Chongqing, China. The new deck is called The Exploration Deck and is located at The Crystal at Raffles City Chongqing after eight years of design and construction and a phased opening that began in September 2019. It is also the first major attraction to open in Chongqing since the COVID-19 lockdown was lifted. The Exploration Deck spans four towers and is home to lush gardens, restaurants, bars, an infinity pool, glass floor among other things. It is a sign of hope amid the COVID-19 pandemic that is taking place across the world and promises to be an exciting new attraction.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inside ... 20-6%3famp

ArchGuy1

Ferris Wheel in Marbella

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:00 pm

The Marbella Council has received a request from a private company to install a huge ferris wheel on San Pedro Alcantara Boulevard in Marbella, Spain. The proposed location is a popular area because of a tunnel built several years ago to curb traffic jams that were previously seen. The Boulevard now houses an amphitheater, children's playgrounds, exercise areas, cafes, and bars and there is plenty of room for the proposed construction of the ferris wheel, which is expected to be 50 meters or 164 feet tall and it is expected to have 30 capsules. It is a very positive step that could help with the economy after Spain was hard hit by COVID-19.
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/06/ ... vpRimlOnqs

ArchGuy1

Mumbai Eye Observation Wheel

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 pm

The state governments of Maharashtra has planned to construct a 630 foot tall ferris wheel along the lines of the London Eye called the Mumbai Eye. The plan was developed by the Metro Metropolitan Region Development Authority and the attraction will be constructed at the Bandra Reclamation as the Pride of India, which will allow for tourists to get a bird's eye view of the city. In January, bids were asked for by March 6, but no one was interested, so they extended the deadline to March 20 and potential bidders demanded things like restaurants and waterpark facilities. If the wheel is built, it will become an iconic addition for the Mumbai skyline that will be recognized by people visiting the city.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mumbai ... -eye-46438

ArchGuy1

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:46 pm

The Gateway Arch in St.Louis will be reopening for tram rides to the top on July 9 and there will be a number of strict rules. There will be reduced capacity on the trams, visitors will only have 10 minutes on the observation deck, face coverings are required for anyone over the age of 9, with a tram in one leg being used to transport people up and the one in the other leg being used to transport people down. Very good that they have found a solution to ensure social distancing in such a small space.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2now.co ... vices/amp/

ArchGuy1

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Plans have been laid out to reopen the observation decks of the Empire State Building in New York City and the plan is to operate a low capacity. Staff will wear masks and control capacity in the elevator and visitors will follow a one way path when the observation deck reopens. Markers will also indicate social distancing. A good plan has been put in place for reopening the observation deck of the Empire State Building.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/therealdea ... ening/amp/

ArchGuy1

Largest Aerial Adventure Park Opening Near Chicago This Month

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:53 pm

The largest aerial adventure course in North America will be opening this month in a suburb of Chicago called Lemont. The Forge: Lemont Quarries was built on 300 acres of historic land and will feature ropes courses, zip lines, climbing walls, mountain biking, fishing, hiking trails, and other features. The aerial course will contain 260 features with hundreds of possible course routes. The park will feature the tallest ropes course in North America at 120 feet with two 90 foot towers and the longest zip line in the Chicago area. It is an exciting new attraction that will provide amusement amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchi ... 317/%3famp

ArchGuy1

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 am

One Liberty Observation Deck in Philadelphia reopened 3 day ago with new safety precautions in place and is a sign of reopening after COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/philadelph ... tions/amp/

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 pm

The 86th and 102nd floor observation decks of the Empire State Building will be reopening July 20 and new protocols will be put in place. Capacity will be reduced by more than 80 percent with only 500 people allowed across the Observatory space, interactive exhibits will become automatic, temperature checks will be conducted, and face masks will be required to be worn by guests and employees. Very smart move for reopening.
https://www.6sqft.com/empire-state-buil ... on-system/

ArchGuy1

Spire of One Vanderbilt in New York City Reinstalled

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:07 am

The 100 foot tall spire of One Vanderbilt in New York City has been reinstalled at the pinnacle of 1,401 foot tall, 77 floor skyscraper. This marks a major milestone for the office tower designed by Kohn Pederson Fox and getting close to completion. The building is now fully topped out with only a few panels of the curtain wall near the crown to be installed. The outdoor observatory, known as The Summit has it's tall glass railings in place directly below the first setback. The most anticipated feature of the new skyscraper is The Summit, which is an indoor/outdoor observation deck that will stand 1,000 feet above New York and slated to open in October 2021. Amenities for commercial tenants include meeting rooms, a lounge, and an outdoor terrace. The building will also feature an 11,000 square foot restaurant from Daniel Boulud. The official opening date for the building is set for August 4, 2020. It is a very exciting building that is poised to become New York City's next iconic landmark.
https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/07/one-va ... -east.html

ArchGuy1

Louvre Museum Reopened in Early July

Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm

On July 6, the Louvre Museum in Paris reopened it's doors to visitors after being shut down since March by COVID-19. Changes include the requirement to war face masks, online reservations, floor marking where the Mona Lisa is located to ensure visitors stay at least 3 feet apart, and a third of the museum still being closed. Very big development toward a new normal in Paris.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... big-crowds

ArchGuy1

Dallas Zoo Features Permnantely Closing Due to COVID-19

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:49 pm

The Dallas Zoo is being forced to make budget cuts due to losses from the COVID-19 pandemic. Over 100 staff members will be furloughed and the Children's Aquarium at Fair Park, along with the Dallas Zoo monorail will permanently closed. Very sad to see something like that have to happen.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw ... 030/%3famp

ArchGuy1

The Golden Gate Bridge

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:15 am

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco was built in 1937 and is indeed an impressive feat of engineering and noted for it's International Orange paint color. The bridge has become an iconic part of San Francisco and connects the city with Marin County to the north with 3 lanes of traffic in each direction and two sidewalks on either side for pedestrians and bicycles. The main span is 4,200 feet long and the total length of the bridge is 8,980 feet. The towers are 746 feet tall and clearance under the bridge at high tide is 220 feet. The bridge was constructed during the Great Depression and was designed by Joseph Strauss. Very spectacular bridge.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1313239&p=18536741&hilit=Golden+gate+bridge#p18536741
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Bridge

Aaron747

Re: The Golden Gate Bridge

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:09 am

Has become? The GGB was iconic the day it opened and was widely photographed. There has never been anything else like it in the US. The combination of design, backdrop, and topography are one of a kind.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ArchGuy1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Has become? The GGB was iconic the day it opened and was widely photographed. There has never been anything else like it in the US. The combination of design, backdrop, and topography are one of a kind.

The Golden Gate Bridge has been seen in many movies and postcards as well.

Jetsgo

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 am

I lived in NorCal 20+ years. Every time I come home I start to get that kid on Christmas morning feeling when driving through Berkeley and it’s visible off in the distance.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

ArchGuy1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:48 am

Jetsgo wrote:
I lived in NorCal 20+ years. Every time I come home I start to get that kid on Christmas morning feeling when driving through Berkeley and it’s visible off in the distance.

Have you personally crossed the Golden Gate Bridge as well?

Jetsgo

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:37 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:

Many times. Walk, run, bike, drive. Also sailed under it. Personally, I prefer viewing it from Fort Point as opposed to the Marin Headlands which is more common.

ArchGuy1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:50 am

Jetsgo wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:

Many times. Walk, run, bike, drive. Also sailed under it. Personally, I prefer viewing it from Fort Point as opposed to the Marin Headlands which is more common.

What are some interesting things about the Golden Gate Bridge that you know about?

Aaron747

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:21 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Jetsgo wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

What are some interesting things about the Golden Gate Bridge that you know about?

I am also from the SF area originally and can tell you:

- The bases for the towers are constructed differently. The north tower is on a rocky outcropping of the Marin headlands. Construction of the south tower's foundation was pretty difficult due to depth of the water and strong currents.

- Not nearly as many people died building it as popularly believed - just 11. There were far more fatalities in the construction of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge.

- The bridge is the most popular place in the western US for suicide. The debate over how to defend against this took decades and they finally started building a protective net structure last year. It will be fully deployed in 2023.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aeroflot777

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:11 am

Lucky to have the GGB a quick 5 minute drive from my house. Amazing structure!

stl07

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:

Wow! I could only dream of living in SF
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 am

stl07 wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:

Well this is also possible if living in Sausalito or 10 minutes from Mill Valley with no traffic.

johns624

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
There has never been anything else like it in the US. The combination of design, backdrop, and topography are one of a kind.

The Mackinac Bridge comes very close.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:59 pm

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
There has never been anything else like it in the US. The combination of design, backdrop, and topography are one of a kind.

The design is lovely but there is no backdrop of mountainous topography with a whole color palette.

johns624

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The design is lovely but there is no backdrop of mountainous topography with a whole color palette.
There's also no large, noisy city, just woods and beaches. There are different types of beautiful scenery. I have been to Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smokies, Norway, Iceland, etc., but my favorire places to be are the North Woods of MI,ON, MN, WI and the Highlands of Scotland. Not as immediately spectacular, but beautiful in its own way.
Here's a little story of something far from home reminding you of where you're from... Several years ago, the wife and I were in Edinburgh and went down to Leith to tour the HMS Britannia, the retired Royal Yacht. On one of the bedroom walls (it could've been the Queen's) was a B&W photo of the Britannia going under the Mackinac Bridge on it's way to Chicago in 1959 after viewing the new St Lawrence Seaway. Obviously, the British Royals thought it was something special, too.

ltbewr

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:22 pm

This is a link to the history of the bridge: https://www.goldengate.org/bridge/history-research/
There is no doubt that the Golden Gate Bridge is probably one of the most romanticized bridges, further enhanced by its clean, art deco inspired tower designs and location.

ArchGuy1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:29 pm

On July 20, the Empire State Building in New York City reopened it's observation decks to the public after being closed since March 16 due to COVID-19. There are a number of changes to the visiting experience however. These include reduced operating hours, a timed ticketing system to reduce crowding, limiting the number of visitors at one time in the Observatory Experience to 500 that allows for 18 feet of distancing between individuals outside of the household, temperature screenings with a ban on entry for those with a fever of over 100.4 degrees Farenheit, the requirement to wear masks, hand sanitizing stations everywhere, and a one way path for visitors to follow. The state of the art air purification and environmental quality systems were thankfully installed in December during last year's renovations that included a revamping of the 102nd floor observation deck. Very great way to reopen safely and was a very good decision to implement the aforementioned protocols.
https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/fortl ... ws/790963/
https://spectrumnews1.com/ky/lexington/ ... -to-public
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... arter-2020

ArchGuy1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

There's also no large, noisy city, just woods and beaches. There are different types of beautiful scenery. I have been to Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smokies, Norway, Iceland, etc., but my favorire places to be are the North Woods of MI,ON, MN, WI and the Highlands of Scotland. Not as immediately spectacular, but beautiful in its own way.
Here's a little story of something far from home reminding you of where you're from... Several years ago, the wife and I were in Edinburgh and went down to Leith to tour the HMS Britannia, the retired Royal Yacht. On one of the bedroom walls (it could've been the Queen's) was a B&W photo of the Britannia going under the Mackinac Bridge on it's way to Chicago in 1959 after viewing the new St Lawrence Seaway. Obviously, the British Royals thought it was something special, too.

The Mackinac Bridge is indeed a very beautiful bridge.

stl07

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:

Well this is also possible if living in Sausalito or 10 minutes from Mill Valley with no traffic.

Don't know why people from sf are so picky about places...I consider suburbs to a city as part of them. For example, everyone from here says they are "from STL" even though we are a good 20-30 minutes away from the city limits.

I absolutely hate how people when interacting overseas say they are from "the bay area" because they are too scared to say they are from because they live 5 minutes out of SF. Like the guy in Abu Dhabi knows what bay you are referencing lol!
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:06 am

The Statue of Liberty partially reopened on July 20 as New York City entered Phase 4 of reopening. Initially, only Liberty Island was open with the Statue of Liberty Museum, pedestal and the crown of the statue itself, and all of Ellis Island remaining closed. Also, limited food and gift shop services were avaliable at Liberty Island. New protocols were in place for reopening including limited capacity on ferries, social distancing of 6 feet, and requirements to wear face masks onboard ferries. On August 24, the Statue of Liberty Museum and Ellis Island, including the Immigration Museum reopened to the public with reduced capacity, along with face mask and social distancing requirements. Requirements to purchase tickets online and staggered entry times were also put in place. The pedestal and crown are still closed to the public however and will be part of a later reopening phase.
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/jersey-ci ... ty-reopens
https://www.google.com/amp/s/newyork.cb ... egins/amp/
https://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... itors/amp/

Aeroflot777

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:06 pm

stl07 wrote:
Aeroflot777 wrote:

Now's a good time. Techies moving out for cheaper pastures and rents are at their lowest.

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:43 pm

stl07 wrote:
Don't know why people from sf are so picky about places...I consider suburbs to a city as part of them. For example, everyone from here says they are "from STL" even though we are a good 20-30 minutes away from the city limits.

Probably because if there's a comparable metro area, they prefer to anchor themselves to it. When there are two comparable metro areas, it becomes difficult. Someone in Palo Alto...which area would they anchor themselves to? San Jose? San Francisco?

In your case, 20-30 mins out there are no comparable metro areas to STL so it helps to say "STL" to give some perspective of where in the map you're at. When I lived in St. Charles, I said I lived in the STL metro area so people knew where in MO I lived in. Not a lot of people know where St. Charles is, but many know where STL is.

stl07 wrote:
I absolutely hate how people when interacting overseas say they are from "the bay area" because they are too scared to say they are from because they live 5 minutes out of SF. Like the guy in Abu Dhabi knows what bay you are referencing lol!

Technically speaking, San Francisco (city) is limited to the tip of a peninsula. The greater metro area expands beyond it, but the vicinity is still Bay Area. It's like people living in the Puget Sound area: I live closer to Tacoma than I do to Seattle so it's incorrect to say that I live in Seattle; I say Puget Sound area as it's the vicinity that includes areas as north as Everett and as south as Tacoma.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Jetsgo

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:38 pm

stl07 wrote:

I would argue the name "Bay Area" has wide international recognition though and that the guy in Abu Dhabi likely has heard of it.

Where the Bay Area starts and ends though is always up for debate. For example, the below map is of course wrong despite it saying it's locally accepted:

SQ22
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 pm

May I remind you to post a link to your source when uploading images which are not your own ones (and accordingly clearly marked as such)? Thanks.

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:29 am

On August 1, the London Eye reopened with a number of new safety measures in place. These include mandatory mask wearing, temperature checks banning entry for those with a fever of over a certain temperature, social distancing markers, reduced capacity, and hand sanitizing stations everywhere. Very great step toward opening safely.
https://blog.headout.com/london-eye-reo ... -lockdown/

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 am

In early August, the Space Needle in Seattle reopened with a variety of changes in place. These include hand sanitizing stations everywhere, physical distancing of 6 feet, requirements to wear masks inside, and cashless transactions. The Space Needle went further than that with UV light systems that have been known to kill viruses. These include a UV sanitizing entry gate, UV lights in the elevators, HVAC systems, and interior spaces of the tower. A very smart way to reopen after being closed for months.
https://patch.com/washington/seattle/sp ... rotections

ArchGuy1

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:29 pm

Last week, the Taj Mahal in Agra, India reopened after being closed for 6 months with strict new measures in place. For example, masks must be worn, social distancing is in place, hand sanitizing is required, temperatures must be checked, tickets have to be bought online, and only 5,000 visitors a day are allowed. Interesting to see how this turns out.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... onths.html

ArchGuy1

Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 am

One Liberty Observation Deck on the 57th floor of One Liberty Place indefinitely closed to the public about 2 weeks ago due to decreased attendance since it reopened in July after a COVID-19 shutdown. The observation deck was first opened to the public in 2015 and has become a popular tourist attraction for Philadelphia. Hopefully, the observation deck will reopen to the public in the next few months and become a great Philadelphia attraction once again.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.com/a ... ne/6425950

ArchGuy1

Iconic Central Park Boathouse in New York City Closed

Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:57 am

The Loeb Central Park Boathouse in New York City has been closed to the public until April 2021 due to economic loses caused by COVID-19 restrictions. The iconic restaurant relies heavily on tourists, weddings, corporate events, and parkgoers all of which are virtually absent. The Boathouse was opened in 1954 and has been featured in movies such as Harry Meets Sally. Hopefully, the restaurant will reopen and become better than ever when it does.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbus ... thouse.amp

Pellegrine

Re: Iconic Central Park Boathouse in New York City Closed

Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:39 am

Oh well. This is one of the places for "ladies who lunch", not unlike the Four Seasons Restaurant (not the hotel) that closed a while back before COVID. To be fair Four Seasons also attracted "powerbrokers who lunch."
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

ArchGuy1

Re: Iconic Central Park Boathouse in New York City Closed

Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Oh well. This is one of the places for "ladies who lunch", not unlike the Four Seasons Restaurant (not the hotel) that closed a while back before COVID. To be fair Four Seasons also attracted "powerbrokers who lunch."

I definitely hope that the restaurant will reopen to the public.

ArchGuy1

Children's Aquarium at Fair Park in Dallas Permnantely Closed

Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:24 am

The Childrens Aquarium at Fair Park in Dallas, Texas has permnant closed due to COVID-19 and the financial losses that resulted. The Fair Park Aquarium was first opened in 1936 and was the oldest aquarium in Texas. The Dallas Zoo took over the aquarium in 2009 and after renovations was reopened in 2010. The aquarium saw 135,000 visitors a year, but was operating at a loss. The closure of the State Fair of Texas this year hastened the demise of the aquarium. Hopefully, someone can take on management of the aquarium and keep it open for generations to come.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/san-an ... -pandemic-

ArchGuy1

Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:24 am

The Skyspace Los Angeles at the top of the US Bank Tower has been permanently closed and this comes after the building was sold in July at a low price due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hopefully, someone else will take over operations of the observation deck and the attraction, including the glass slide will reopen.
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/c ... -valuation
https://www.oue-skyspace.com/en-US/

ArchGuy1

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:04 am

Last week, the Skyview Miami Observation Wheel was opened to the public and local leaders were there for the grand opening. The wheel provides for spectacular views and each gonna can hold up to 8 people. The pandemic forced the owners to figure out a way to open the ride with mask requirements and hand sanitizing stations. This is a great deal that will provide additional jobs amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.local1 ... utType=amp

ArchGuy1

Historic Mosque in Istanbul Damaged by Fire

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:15 am

On Sunday, a historic wooden mosque in Istanbul caught fire and firefighters working from both land and water put out the fire. The Vanikoy Mosque was built in the 17th century and is located on the Asian Side of Istanbul on the Bosphorus Strait. The efforts of firefighters and the Turkish Coast Guard kept a nearby forest and houses from catching on fire. The mosque has a single minaret and investigators are trying to find out the cause of the fire. It was a great thing that nearby property was not damaged and hopefully, the mosque itself can be saved as well.
https://apnews.com/article/fires-bospor ... 0eec8f1b8a

T4thH

Re: Historic Mosque in Istanbul Damaged by Fire

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:53 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
On Sunday, a historic wooden mosque in Istanbul caught fire and firefighters working from both land and water put out the fire. The Vanikoy Mosque was built in the 17th century and is located on the Asian Side of Istanbul on the Bosphorus Strait. The efforts of firefighters and the Turkish Coast Guard kept a nearby forest and houses from catching on fire. The mosque has a single minaret and investigators are trying to find out the cause of the fire. It was a great thing that nearby property was not damaged and hopefully, the mosque itself can be saved as well.
https://apnews.com/article/fires-bospor ... 0eec8f1b8a

Sorry to say, but this mosque is gone to the maker.
You can see in this video starting around 15 sek, how furiously it was on fire. Everything, which has made this mosque special and different to others, so the wood part, is gone. Everything made of stone is still there, but overheated glowing stone and rapid cooling with water, is not a good combination, this can kill the stones/walls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwzacomiv4Q
So there is nothing any more of this part left, what is of historic value to be saved.

ArchGuy1

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:07 pm

About a couple weeks ago, the Kalahari Resort on 350 acres of land opened in Round Rock, Texas and is the largest in the world. The Waterpark has an African theme with over 950 rooms in the resort, including one to three bedroom suites. In addition to acres of indoor pools with space for conventions and events, there will also be 10,000 square feet of retail space, along with a spa and salon, six restaurants, a pizzeria, among other things. There will also be a state of the art convention center, an adventure park spanning 80,000 feet of rides, ropes, course climbing walls, zip lines, and more. This is a very great thing happening amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://ktemnews.com/the-worlds-largest ... -now-open/

ArchGuy1

Chocolate Museum Opened in Switzerland

Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:34 am

A new Chocolate Museum opened in Kilchberg, Switzerland and features a 30 foot tall chocolate fountain with 1,500 liters of chocolate. The museum is the largest of it's kind in the world and has 65,000 square feet of chocolate centered content, including an interactive exhibition on the treats history and production, a cafe, Lindt chocolate shop, research facility for chocolate innovation, and a fully viewable production line. It is a very amazing building to open and will provide visitors a unique experience.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180975919/

ArchGuy1

Aerial Gondola to the Queen Mary in Long Beach Proposed

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:31 pm

A gondola called "The Wave" connecting Downtown Long Beach to the Queen Mary and surrounding hotels was first pitched to the City Council in March 2019 and could come back next year. The project is expected to cost $80 million to $100 million, but the City of Long Beach is expected to pay very little of it. The first station is expected to be near the Long Beach Convention Center with a second near the Aquarium of the Pacific, before crossing Rainbow Harbor and ending at the Queen Mary. Viability of the gondola would rely on hotels, the Queen Mary itself, and Carnibal Cruise Line passengers. The developers hope to have the gondola ready by the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. It would be a very good project to help the Queen Mary and would help increase tourist numbers to the ship.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/lbpost.com ... -2021/amp/