Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10
 
SmithAir747
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:30 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:02 pm

My cruise coming up in a fortnight is Star Trek: The Cruise IV (1-8 March 2020). Star Trek: The Cruise, inaugurated in 2017, is a full-ship charter theme cruise for Trekkies, officially licensed by CBS, Paramount, and other entities associated with Star Trek. This cruise, a floating Star Trek convention sailing the Caribbean, has a more intimate feel (with over two dozen stars from the various Star Trek TV series and movies mingling with the passengers). The ship is redecorated inside with a Star Trek theme. This year, the host "captain" will be Star Trek Voyager's Captain Kathryn Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) and a large number of the Voyager cast, along with William Shatner, Michael Dorn, and others.

Unlike the previous three years where the cruise had been on a Norwegian Jewel-class ship, this year the cruise is on a Royal Caribbean Voyager-class ship, the Explorer of the Seas (the new contract, between RCCL and Entertainment Cruise Productions who run these cruises, will be for the next three years).

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:44 pm

stl07 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I just realized: my next cruise is exactly a year away. Going on Norwegian Jewel from Auckland to Sydney.

Be prepared for some rockiness when crossing from NZ to Aus. because the ocean is very rough over there. Just take some precautions and you will be good
It depends. We did it in January 2018 and the sea was like glass (not that I'm complaining...).
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8467
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 pm

stl07 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I just realized: my next cruise is exactly a year away. Going on Norwegian Jewel from Auckland to Sydney.

Be prepared for some rockiness when crossing from NZ to Aus. because the ocean is very rough over there. Just take some precautions and you will be good

I'm wary by the fact that it's a smaller ship. But my experience with the motion sickness patches was good so I plan to stock up on those for the voyage. And it'll be two days at worst. If I was able to get through rough seas during a transatlantic, I can make it here.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 pm

johns624 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I just realized: my next cruise is exactly a year away. Going on Norwegian Jewel from Auckland to Sydney.

Be prepared for some rockiness when crossing from NZ to Aus. because the ocean is very rough over there. Just take some precautions and you will be good
It depends. We did it in January 2018 and the sea was like glass (not that I'm complaining...).

Good to hear that it is good sometimes
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
My cruise coming up in a fortnight is Star Trek: The Cruise IV (1-8 March 2020). Star Trek: The Cruise, inaugurated in 2017, is a full-ship charter theme cruise for Trekkies, officially licensed by CBS, Paramount, and other entities associated with Star Trek. This cruise, a floating Star Trek convention sailing the Caribbean, has a more intimate feel (with over two dozen stars from the various Star Trek TV series and movies mingling with the passengers). The ship is redecorated inside with a Star Trek theme. This year, the host "captain" will be Star Trek Voyager's Captain Kathryn Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) and a large number of the Voyager cast, along with William Shatner, Michael Dorn, and others.

Unlike the previous three years where the cruise had been on a Norwegian Jewel-class ship, this year the cruise is on a Royal Caribbean Voyager-class ship, the Explorer of the Seas (the new contract, between RCCL and Entertainment Cruise Productions who run these cruises, will be for the next three years).

SmithAir747


RCI Voyager class ships are quite nice. I did Voyager of the Seas TATL from Barcelona to Miami once and its still up there with one of best trips. Enjoy!
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm wary by the fact that it's a smaller ship.
Smaller is a relative term. We've been on 5 NCL cruises, all on that class of ship. It feels like our home away from home now. We know where everything is.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8467
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:02 pm

johns624 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm wary by the fact that it's a smaller ship.
Smaller is a relative term. We've been on 5 NCL cruises, all on that class of ship. It feels like our home away from home now. We know where everything is.

Compare the Jewel with Encore and yes...Jewel is smaller. Now it could be worse: I could be on the Sun or Sky...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 pm

I've been on the Sun, Star (2), Pearl and Jewel. Not enough difference to really notice. Will be on the Star for the 3rd time in June.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15203
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:47 am

I would be very concerned about the affects of the Coronavirus on the cruise business, especially in Asia, for the rest of the year for passengers, crews and operators of the ships. For sure many will not want to be stuck on any cruise where they can get sick or in quarantine for weeks on a ship or evacuated to a military base or other isolation facility. Likely there will be huge discounts for a while on some cruises this year to get people on even after the current crises passes.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:56 am

ltbewr wrote:
I would be very concerned about the affects of the Coronavirus on the cruise business, especially in Asia, for the rest of the year for passengers, crews and operators of the ships. For sure many will not want to be stuck on any cruise where they can get sick or in quarantine for weeks on a ship or evacuated to a military base or other isolation facility. Likely there will be huge discounts for a while on some cruises this year to get people on even after the current crises passes.

The Diamond Princess is in quarantine due to the coronavirus and the Westerdam was kept out of 5 countries before being allowed to dock in Cambodia.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15203
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:18 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I would be very concerned about the affects of the Coronavirus on the cruise business, especially in Asia, for the rest of the year for passengers, crews and operators of the ships. For sure many will not want to be stuck on any cruise where they can get sick or in quarantine for weeks on a ship or evacuated to a military base or other isolation facility. Likely there will be huge discounts for a while on some cruises this year to get people on even after the current crises passes.

The Diamond Princess is in quarantine due to the coronavirus and the Westerdam was kept out of 5 countries before being allowed to dock in Cambodia.


Over the last 2 weeks, we saw a ship stuck at the dock in Bayonne, NJ (NY Harbor area) due to possible Coronavirus infections, Chinese nationals banned from boarding cruises, no port stops in China including Hong Kong, Macau & Taiwan.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:35 am

The Costa Smeralda was christened in Savona, Italy by Penelope Cruz, who performed the traditional bottle breaking on the bow in the presence of the ship's master, Pablo Gemini yesterday. Italian multi started chef, Bruno Barbieri, who personally conceived and presented a special gala cocktail. The aromatic show "Dream" produced by Viktor Klee and set in the ship's theater. The ceremony also saw a fireworks display set off from a badge positioned in front of the Priamar Fortress, lighting up the sky of Savona and giving a fitting sendoff. It is a very exciting event for Costa's newest ship and attended by a number of high ranking people.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... avona.html
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Just back from the Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady World Tour Event in Liverpool . Was not sure how I would enjoy it but the fact is I loved it. Really different and while there are a few small things I would change the cabins , public areas and ship generally impressed. The food was great and the crew were a great mix.

The event was flawlessly run. It was a great atmosphere in Liverpool and many locals came to look and take photos. Workers on their lunch breaks came out of offices. It generated a lot of interest.

A few pics from the event :


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.


Image
.

Image
.


I can certainly see the market for it . Time will tell how successful it will be. It is a bit of a marmite product you will either love it or hate it . For the younger client who never would have thought about a cruise it will certainly attract them. Those who are young at heart and want something different will also be suited to the brand.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3221
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks for the pictures.

I actually looked at booking a 3 suites for my next birthday on a 5 night trip. It turned out that Virgin are either selling this ship out way ahead or they have totally bumped their head. It was less expensive to fly us and 2 other couples out to Tahiti and do a week on the Paul Gaugin.

If they are getting the rates they are asking then they have hit it out of the park, but I really have to wonder how many last minute deals are going to start showing up.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2270
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I would be very concerned about the affects of the Coronavirus on the cruise business, especially in Asia, for the rest of the year for passengers, crews and operators of the ships. For sure many will not want to be stuck on any cruise where they can get sick or in quarantine for weeks on a ship or evacuated to a military base or other isolation facility. Likely there will be huge discounts for a while on some cruises this year to get people on even after the current crises passes.


Cruise stocks extend losses, Royal Carribbean on track for longest losing streak in 17 years

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cruis ... 2020-02-26

From The Comments.... Good Advice...

My wife and I are frequent cruisers but usually on top tier smaller ships (600 or less passengers) ... we use periods of adverse news to purchase cruises ... buying the dips just like with the stock market ...

during the demise of the Costa Concordia we purchased 3 cruises 6 to 18 months into the future at substantial discounts ... in 6 months usually everything is forgotten ...I anticipate we will do the same thing again soon ... not quite enough discounting yet ... also, like the stock market, I want to see blood in the streets ...

a small top tier cruise ship is really no different than a highly rated 'boutique' hotel, it is just another way to travel and see the world ...I like to buy the dips when my charts say it is OK ... but ... I don't like Carnival's products so would never buy that stock ... we do like RCLs and will buy that stock when my charts give me the OK
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8467
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Cruise stocks extend losses, Royal Carribbean on track for longest losing streak in 17 years

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cruis ... 2020-02-26

I'm wondering if I should do the same...maybe an Alaska cruise this summer and maybe another TATL/Repo cruise next year.

I'm still trying to be loyal to NCL but if the price is right with another cruise line, then away I go.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Not all that afraid of the virus, but who wants to be quarantined for 14 day, who knows where, and no way to get home without another 14 days?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Thanks for the pictures.

I actually looked at booking a 3 suites for my next birthday on a 5 night trip. It turned out that Virgin are either selling this ship out way ahead or they have totally bumped their head. It was less expensive to fly us and 2 other couples out to Tahiti and do a week on the Paul Gaugin.

If they are getting the rates they are asking then they have hit it out of the park, but I really have to wonder how many last minute deals are going to start showing up.


Welcome . I guess being the first ship they will milk it for all they can get just like other lines for example RCI and CEL. Some of their prices for the new ships are always pumped up. With the arrival of Valiant Lady prices should even out. I might do 2021 around the Med for a week with them. The Rockstar suites are around $6100 per suite. If your a big foodie you will love Virgin Voyages. Adults only is a big plus.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 am

OA260 wrote:
Just back from the Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady World Tour Event in Liverpool . Was not sure how I would enjoy it but the fact is I loved it. Really different and while there are a few small things I would change the cabins , public areas and ship generally impressed. The food was great and the crew were a great mix.

The event was flawlessly run. It was a great atmosphere in Liverpool and many locals came to look and take photos. Workers on their lunch breaks came out of offices. It generated a lot of interest.

A few pics from the event :


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.


Image
.

Image
.


I can certainly see the market for it . Time will tell how successful it will be. It is a bit of a marmite product you will either love it or hate it . For the younger client who never would have thought about a cruise it will certainly attract them. Those who are young at heart and want something different will also be suited to the brand.

Did you attend the Scarlet Lady's christening as well.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:14 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Just back from the Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady World Tour Event in Liverpool . Was not sure how I would enjoy it but the fact is I loved it. Really different and while there are a few small things I would change the cabins , public areas and ship generally impressed. The food was great and the crew were a great mix.

The event was flawlessly run. It was a great atmosphere in Liverpool and many locals came to look and take photos. Workers on their lunch breaks came out of offices. It generated a lot of interest.

A few pics from the event :


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.


Image
.

Image
.


I can certainly see the market for it . Time will tell how successful it will be. It is a bit of a marmite product you will either love it or hate it . For the younger client who never would have thought about a cruise it will certainly attract them. Those who are young at heart and want something different will also be suited to the brand.

Did you attend the Scarlet Lady's christening as well.



Despite some news reports incl by Fox News ! She will be Christened in Miami on 28th March so it has not happened yet. The UK tour was just a chance to show case the ship. The ship left Liverpool and is currently sailing to New York where it is due to arrive 6th March for more events. Some lucky families of those crew working onboard were offered tickets for Liverpool to New York for just $25 !
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:14 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I'm still trying to be loyal to NCL but if the price is right with another cruise line, then away I go.
Our 14 day Summer Solstice cruise on NCL was $2800 each for a Mini Suite.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:14 pm

johns624 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I'm still trying to be loyal to NCL but if the price is right with another cruise line, then away I go.
Our 14 day Summer Solstice cruise on NCL was $2800 each for a Mini Suite.


If its for this Summer keep an eye on price drops ! NCL like other lines are starting to slash prices for some dates already. Bargains will be numerous especially in the European markets !
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:48 am

Virgin Voyages Cancels New York Introduction

Virgin Voyages has cancelled its March introduction events of the Scarlet Lady in New York and the ship will instead sail straight to Miami, its homeport.

Said Virgin in a prepared statement: “In light of the current news headlines, we want to ensure everyone feels it is the right time to celebrate with us. We understand people may want to focus on other things at the moment, so we have made the decision to reschedule our upcoming Showcase Tour stop and events in New York City. We plan to sail back to New York soon for you to visit her.

www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/ ... ction.html
 
tys777
Moderator
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:00 pm

I have a Disney cruise scheduled for September. A 4 night out of SAN that goes to Cabo. Looking for something this summer on any cruise line with my wife, but will be limited to 4 night cruises most likely. Custody agreement with the ex doesnt lend itself well to personal vacations and limits availability.

I have some python code that pulls every cruise for every cruise line into a spreadsheet, and last time I did it, I had 5 cruises all year that fit into my schedule. Such a pain...
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 pm

tys777 wrote:
I have a Disney cruise scheduled for September. A 4 night out of SAN that goes to Cabo. Looking for something this summer on any cruise line with my wife, but will be limited to 4 night cruises most likely. Custody agreement with the ex doesnt lend itself well to personal vacations and limits availability.

I have some python code that pulls every cruise for every cruise line into a spreadsheet, and last time I did it, I had 5 cruises all year that fit into my schedule. Such a pain...
What database(s) or sites does your script run queries against just out of curiosity?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
tys777
Moderator
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:11 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
tys777 wrote:
I have a Disney cruise scheduled for September. A 4 night out of SAN that goes to Cabo. Looking for something this summer on any cruise line with my wife, but will be limited to 4 night cruises most likely. Custody agreement with the ex doesnt lend itself well to personal vacations and limits availability.

I have some python code that pulls every cruise for every cruise line into a spreadsheet, and last time I did it, I had 5 cruises all year that fit into my schedule. Such a pain...
What database(s) or sites does your script run queries against just out of curiosity?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk


Cruise.affordabletours.com

They have a pretty clean back end code wise that is easy to mine. I dont care about prices, I literally want date, cruiseline, ship, destination, and embarkation location. I'm not price conscious (I am to an extent), but due to life I'm more date driven so it works for me. I then run some vba code in excel to parse everything down. Might seem like a lot of work, but when you are limited on availability, it saves you time parsing through various website.

I'll end the nerd talk now.
 
bananaboy
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:58 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Great pics. Was also on in Liverpool.

I left feeling a bit underwhelmed tbh. Seem like they've concentrated on design and forgotten substance a bit. Pool area is tiny and cabins have some major design flaws. Having said that, I found the bed comfortable, loved the rainfall shower, couldn't fault the crew and the food was pretty good too. Loved the entertainment around the ship that seemed to appear out of nowhere too.

It will be interesting to see how it works in service and I wish them well. It's not for everyone but the se can be said of most ships. I sincerely hope the "a cruise is not for me" crowd become switched on to the possibility of a holiday at sea which they go on to repeat regularly.


OA260 wrote:
Just back from the Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady World Tour Event in Liverpool . Was not sure how I would enjoy it but the fact is I loved it. Really different and while there are a few small things I would change the cabins , public areas and ship generally impressed. The food was great and the crew were a great mix.

The event was flawlessly run. It was a great atmosphere in Liverpool and many locals came to look and take photos. Workers on their lunch breaks came out of offices. It generated a lot of interest.

A few pics from the event :


Image
.
Image
.
Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image
.

Image

.

Image

.

Image
.

Image
.


Image
.

Image
.


I can certainly see the market for it . Time will tell how successful it will be. It is a bit of a marmite product you will either love it or hate it . For the younger client who never would have thought about a cruise it will certainly attract them. Those who are young at heart and want something different will also be suited to the brand.
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:03 pm

Princes Cruises just canceled all trips for the next 60 days, or through May 12. More to follow.
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm

I got a nice e-mail last night from P&O.

On top of the £500 on board spend when we booked, they have given us another £400 to go with it.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
I got a nice e-mail last night from P&O.

On top of the £500 on board spend when we booked, they have given us another £400 to go with it.


Where is your cruise departing from?
 
User avatar
Dano1977
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:38 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
I got a nice e-mail last night from P&O.

On top of the £500 on board spend when we booked, they have given us another £400 to go with it.


Where is your cruise departing from?


Southampton
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Viking Cruises (River and Ocean) are also suspending until May 1st:

https://www.vikingrivercruisescanada.co ... ame=iossmf
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Wow just wow !!!


Florida attorney general investigating Norwegian Cruise Line for allegedly misleading customers over COVID-19 dangers

MIAMI – A major cruise line could be sailing into some hot water for allegedly downplaying the severity of COVID-19 to its customers.

On Monday, Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody announced an investigation into Norwegian after allegations were made that the cruise line was providing its sales force with inaccurate information and “one-liners to respond to customer concerns about COVID-19,” according to a release sent from the attorney general’s office.

Norwegian Cruise Line’s corporate headquarters is located in Miami.

According to the attorney general’s office, a whistleblower leaked emails to the media that show managers at MCL encouraged employees to downplay the risks associated with contracting COVID-19, using one-liners such as, “the coronavirus can only survive in cold temperatures, so the Caribbean is a fantastic choice for your next cruise,” and “the only thing you need to worry about for your cruise is do you have enough sunscreen.”

www.local10.com/news/local/2020/03/24/f ... 9-dangers/
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:38 pm

DL717 wrote:

Seems to be a lot of boats hanging out in the Miami/New Orleans/Los Angles area
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Head of MSC in Spain has died

Emiliano Gonzalez, president of MSC Spain, dies of coronavirus

The President of MSC Cruises in Spain he died at 69 years of agebecause of the coronavirus. Emiliano Gonzalez (Madrid, 1951) was named president of this company in 2017 and since then he has been its maximum representative in this country.

www.web24.news/u/2020/03/emiliano-gonza ... virus.html
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15203
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Some on cruise ships have died:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/four- ... spartandhp

Cruise lines that are partially based in the USA are not getting any 'bailout' grants or loans in $2T plan as most operations and ships domiciled outside the USA and staff not USA citizens/residents.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/coronav ... lines.html
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Are the cruise ship support industry in various US ports eligible for help?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
Jonathanxxxx
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:04 pm

stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Seems to be a lot of boats hanging out in the Miami/New Orleans/Los Angles area


The appearance of "ghost ships" along major ports in Florida has become common. I've been trying to find better documentation, but here are some videos off the coast of Miami Beach and Tampa showing multiple ships from Costa, MSC, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival anchored just outside the port. There also appears to be clusters of ships anchored around different points in the Bahamas, including Virgin's Scarlett Lady near Bimini. Notoriously crowded ports such as Cozumel, St. Maarten, and San Juan are basically empty. Seems the companies have moved their assets to the US and Bahamas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ULrFxHIZ1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/2020/03/19/with-cruises-suspended-empty-ships-anchor-off-pinellas-coast/
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 pm

The Zaandam has finally docked in Port Everglades after a deal was reached with local authorities by Holland America. Conditions and protocols were put in place and the Rotterdam that was carrying healthy passengers from the Zaandam also docked in the same port. A nightmarish journey for many has come to an end.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1174796
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 am

Venezuelan Navy tries to hijack a cruise ship in the high seas, hilarity ensues.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas ... index.html
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
alberchico
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:52 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:05 am

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:36 am

Pyrex wrote:
Venezuelan Navy tries to hijack a cruise ship in the high seas, hilarity ensues.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas ... index.html


If they are going to play games like this maybe time to take out their navy ships!
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:12 pm

OA260 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
Venezuelan Navy tries to hijack a cruise ship in the high seas, hilarity ensues.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas ... index.html


If they are going to play games like this maybe time to take out their navy ships!

Why bother? They seem to be doing a good job of doing it themselves! :D
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:41 pm

johns624 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
Venezuelan Navy tries to hijack a cruise ship in the high seas, hilarity ensues.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas ... index.html


If they are going to play games like this maybe time to take out their navy ships!

Why bother? They seem to be doing a good job of doing it themselves! :D


A ragtag group of pirates messes with the wrong ship, ends up hilariously clinging to the debris from their otherwise sunk ship wondering what just happened... It is like a scene from "Asterix" come to life. I wonder if this was just the Venezuelan Navy's way to pay hommage to Uderzo, who recently passed away?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4314
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:28 pm

johns624 wrote:
I've been on the Sun, Star (2), Pearl and Jewel. Not enough difference to really notice. Will be on the Star for the 3rd time in June.

I was on the Pearl last year. Probably as larger ship as I'd want to be on. What are your thoughts of it compared to others.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Not all that afraid of the virus, but who wants to be quarantined for 14 day, who knows where, and no way to get home without another 14 days?


Yeah I've been thinking a lot about that over the last month. I had a good cruise around the Baltic last year and I keep thinking how if the pandemic had happened last year, I could very well have been in a Diamond Princess kind of situation in St Petersburg/Riga. Not a pleasant thought.

ltbewr wrote:
Cruise lines that are partially based in the USA are not getting any 'bailout' grants or loans in $2T plan as most operations and ships domiciled outside the USA and staff not USA citizens/residents.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/coronav ... lines.html


Honestly, it serves them right for using flags of convenience and having terrible labour practices.

alberchico wrote:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32893/video-emerges-of-venezuelan-navy-ship-firing-on-and-colliding-with-cruise-ship-before-sinking

a video has been just released


That looks brutal. Hard to believe the Venezuelan claim that none of their sailors died. Meanwhile, looks like all the scars on the Resolute should buff out. :x

Image
First to fly the 787-9
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:18 pm

My suspicion now is that Cruise Ship companies are going to have to come up with a plan for pandemics. In my home state here are possible requirements for the Alaska cruises. Respiratory and certain other disease symptoms must be monitored and reported to public health officials: Washington and Alaska states, British Columbia. Criteria for ending a cruise in the event of certain diseases, symptoms. A plan for how several thousand passengers and crew will be quarantined or isolated, fed and kept healthy. How will medical costs be taken care of. How will people be returned home, repatriated to home countries. Seattle and the state will be fully cooperative in coming up with the plan. It is unacceptable for us to tell a cruise ship they must simply sail in circles because we will not help them. We will, and there will be a plan.

Lloyds of London interested in providing insurance?!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 pm

zkojq wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I've been on the Sun, Star (2), Pearl and Jewel. Not enough difference to really notice. Will be on the Star for the 3rd time in June.

I was on the Pearl last year. Probably as larger ship as I'd want to be on. What are your thoughts of it compared to others.

I've never been on any ships other than those. I went to Alaska before the megaships took over. My other cruises have been Baltic, Norway, Oz & NZ, and AMS-FCO, none are really high volume destinations. I like it that way. The Caribbean/Mexico have never interested me. I like history and scenery.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Coronavirus: Black box seized from Ruby Princess ship at centre of Australia outbreak

The ship is the third belonging to Princess Cruises to find itself at the centre of a virus outbreak.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... k-11970925
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8467
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:46 pm

I'm still on the lookout for NCL's opening of bookings for its first Leonardo ship, though given that it hasn't even been given a name and Covid-19 has brought cruising to a standstill, I'm wondering if this will be delayed for some months.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 10

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, Aesma, bhill, Bing [Bot], casinterest, flyguy89, meecrob, N867DA, olle, USPIT10L and 40 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos