Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:53 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Two Pullmantur ships ex RCI being scrapped in Turkey


Image

Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they were nice ships back in the day and my first RCI cruises from Miami but no real historic purpose to keep them . The Marco Polo on the other hand might have more reason to save it and hoping that another operator might take it on . There is a lot of love for that ship .
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 pm

OA260 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Two Pullmantur ships ex RCI being scrapped in Turkey


Image

Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they were nice ships back in the day and my first RCI cruises from Miami but no real historic purpose to keep them . The Marco Polo on the other hand might have more reason to save it and hoping that another operator might take it on . There is a lot of love for that ship .

Would you want to see Marco Polo preserved as a hotel and museum ship.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:25 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they were nice ships back in the day and my first RCI cruises from Miami but no real historic purpose to keep them . The Marco Polo on the other hand might have more reason to save it and hoping that another operator might take it on . There is a lot of love for that ship .

Would you want to see Marco Polo preserved as a hotel and museum ship.


No Id like to see it still in service with a niche operator.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4226
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't see any way cruises can be restarted without vaccines. Much of the pleasure of cruising in a large ship is the freedom of movement - lots of walking, lots of stair climbing. Those of us with dietary restrictions can find it very easy to eat, and eat well, in those buffets. I did some hard reading next to the coffee urn and on the view side (good coffee I may add), and enjoyed the interruptions from others in our party (about 30 of us), and meeting someone new and talking, likely never to see them again. The 'social' was part of the fun.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12957
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I wonder how cruise lines will make it out of this, and whether they'll be able to have some form of rainy day funds going forward (money set aside to cover situations like this..). I think it'll be bad publicity for the US to bailout the cruise industry, but a multinational bailout could be less controversial. After all, despite them being mostly based in the West, the tourism the cruises bring to many places is vital to many.

But it's not looking good for the industry, especially if COVID cases in the US continue to spike.


Its so hard to predict what the industry will look like after all this. In many aspects this is a pause and the real fight for survival will begin when things get back to a new normal . I fear thats when we will see more closures. Same with the travel industry in general.

I don't think Id get on a cruise myself until a vaccine is found or a good treatment. Never thought Id feel that way but its got to that stage now. Im aiming for my next cruise in November 2021. I have one booked for this November which is likely to be cancelled . I should get a FCC for 125% .If we get good news next Spring then maybe a mini cruise in Summer but we shall see.

Cruises have already resumed in Norway and will soon in Taiwan.


The coastal express has restarted but the cruise lines aren’t visiting Norwegian ports.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12957
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Two Pullmantur ships ex RCI being scrapped in Turkey


Image

Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they wouldn’t, there aren’t any ships operating today they would be worth preserving as hotels and museums, they will almost all be scrapped, a few might be sunk as artificial reefs, that’s about all that need to be said on the subject.

There is significant over capacity in the industry, and a lot of new tonnage nearing completion, a lot of 90’s era vessels will be scrapped or laid up and will eventually be scrapped.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Two Pullmantur ships ex RCI being scrapped in Turkey


Image

Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they wouldn’t, there aren’t any ships operating today they would be worth preserving as hotels and museums, they will almost all be scrapped, a few might be sunk as artificial reefs, that’s about all that need to be said on the subject.

What made the Queen Mary and SS Rotterdam worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Confirmed :


Greece’s ropax operator Seajets has entered the over-night cruise sector, purchasing former P&O Cruises’ Oceana, with the ship delivered in Patras yesterday.
The new fleet addition, named Queen of the Oceans, is another extension of Seajets’ operation, which led by the flamboyant 52-year-old Marios Iliopoulos, has been in expansion mode for the past couple of years as the company’s ropax fleet has grown.

www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/greek-ropa ... een-oceans
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:22 pm

OA260 wrote:
Confirmed :


Greece’s ropax operator Seajets has entered the over-night cruise sector, purchasing former P&O Cruises’ Oceana, with the ship delivered in Patras yesterday.
The new fleet addition, named Queen of the Oceans, is another extension of Seajets’ operation, which led by the flamboyant 52-year-old Marios Iliopoulos, has been in expansion mode for the past couple of years as the company’s ropax fleet has grown.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/gre ... een-oceans

Would have thought Monarch or Sovereign would have gone to this company rather than Oceana.
 
IH8BY
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:55 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Confirmed :


Greece’s ropax operator Seajets has entered the over-night cruise sector, purchasing former P&O Cruises’ Oceana, with the ship delivered in Patras yesterday.
The new fleet addition, named Queen of the Oceans, is another extension of Seajets’ operation, which led by the flamboyant 52-year-old Marios Iliopoulos, has been in expansion mode for the past couple of years as the company’s ropax fleet has grown.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/gre ... een-oceans

Would have thought Monarch or Sovereign would have gone to this company rather than Oceana.


Well, other than the fact that Monarch and Sovereign are literally being scrapped... Oceana is much newer anyway.

It's quite an odd venture from operating a bunch of fast ferries and an odd collection of ropax units to running a large cruise ship as well though. I wonder what they have in mind. Overnight sounds a bit odd without the duty free incentive that, say, the Scandinavian cruise-ferry operators exploit...
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Email in from RCI/CEL :

Royal Caribbean Group is replacing one of the least-loved but most important parts of a cruise vacation – the safety drill – with Muster 2.0™, an entirely new approach to delivering safety information to guests. The innovative program, the first of its kind, reimagines a process originally designed for large groups of people into a faster, more personal approach that encourages higher levels of safety.

With Muster 2.0, the key elements of the safety drill – including reviewing what to expect and where to go in case of an emergency, and instructions on how to properly use a life jacket – will be accessible to guests on an individual basis instead of a group approach that has been followed historically. New technology, eMuster™, will be used to help provide the information to guests via their mobile devices and interactive stateroom TVs. Travelers will be able to review the information at their own time prior to setting sail, eliminating the need for the traditional large group assemblies. The new approach also enables everyone on board to maintain better spacing as guests move about the ship, and it allows guests to enjoy more of their vacation with no interruption.

After reviewing safety information individually, guests will complete the drill by visiting their assigned assembly station, where a crew member will verify that all steps have been completed and answer questions. Each of the steps will need to be completed prior to the ship’s departure, as required by international maritime law.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:30 pm

The Carnival Fantasy and Inspiration have been sold and are leaving the Carnival fleet, while Fascination and Imagination are going into long term layup. There are other changes that Carnival is making as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsg ... ships/amp/
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12957
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Would the Sovereign and Monarch have been worth preserving as hotel and museum ships in your opinion.


No they wouldn’t, there aren’t any ships operating today they would be worth preserving as hotels and museums, they will almost all be scrapped, a few might be sunk as artificial reefs, that’s about all that need to be said on the subject.


What made the Queen Mary and SS Rotterdam worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.


Queen Mary was a special ship, troopship, wartime service, Blue Ribband holder, well known, she had a colourful history, lord knows why Rotterdam was preserved, I can't think of anything special about her, she's pretty small, nothing noteworthy about her design, nothing noteworthy about her service history, I guess the Dutch have some affinity towards her but meh if I can't think of anything worthy to say about her then there will be even less things to say about any cruise ship built since the 70's, the only vessel that might be worth preserving is Queen Mary II and that's only due to her being the last ocean liner that will ever be built, Cunard/Carnival won't build another one.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8470
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:42 pm

OA260 wrote:
Email in from RCI/CEL :

Let's be honest. In case of an emergency, people will forget everything they've ever been told and freak out. Even during the Costa Concordia it was an absolute mess (though a big issue was the captain's lack of direction and the crew's inaction because of it).

I'm glad they've been pulling back more and more on the drills. You don't have to show up anymore with your life vest on. I think this idea sits well in that you do your muster drill lesson at your own pace and simply confirm towards the end that you've completed everything. But just like airplane safety briefing, many will soon forget what they were told.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

No they wouldn’t, there aren’t any ships operating today they would be worth preserving as hotels and museums, they will almost all be scrapped, a few might be sunk as artificial reefs, that’s about all that need to be said on the subject.


What made the Queen Mary and SS Rotterdam worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.


Queen Mary was a special ship, troopship, wartime service, Blue Ribband holder, well known, she had a colourful history, lord knows why Rotterdam was preserved, I can't think of anything special about her, she's pretty small, nothing noteworthy about her design, nothing noteworthy about her service history, I guess the Dutch have some affinity towards her but meh if I can't think of anything worthy to say about her then there will be even less things to say about any cruise ship built since the 70's, the only vessel that might be worth preserving is Queen Mary II and that's only due to her being the last ocean liner that will ever be built, Cunard/Carnival won't build another one.

What made the QE2 and SS Great Britain worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.
 
FGITD
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:27 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Email in from RCI/CEL :

Let's be honest. In case of an emergency, people will forget everything they've ever been told and freak out. Even during the Costa Concordia it was an absolute mess (though a big issue was the captain's lack of direction and the crew's inaction because of it).

I'm glad they've been pulling back more and more on the drills. You don't have to show up anymore with your life vest on. I think this idea sits well in that you do your muster drill lesson at your own pace and simply confirm towards the end that you've completed everything. But just like airplane safety briefing, many will soon forget what they were told.


Oh the Costa Captain definitely had a direction. Problem was his direction was a one way trip off the ship for himself.

I always liked the muster drill with the life jackets on. Was sort of a fun way to start vacation that definitively said "you are now on a cruise" and it only took a few minutes.

The problem is the same as airline safety videos. It creates a sense that in an emergency you just casually get up and follow the procedures as if you were disembarking at a gate or port. Reality is that it might be totally dark, there might be smoke, pitching, yelling, etc. I remember for example, an incident in which a building I worked in had an actual fire, (small) and 99% of the people walked past the fire itself and into the smoke because the door we usually used during fire drills was that way. Instead of the fire door that was 10 feet in the opposite direction
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12957
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:08 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

What made the Queen Mary and SS Rotterdam worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.


Queen Mary was a special ship, troopship, wartime service, Blue Ribband holder, well known, she had a colourful history, lord knows why Rotterdam was preserved, I can't think of anything special about her, she's pretty small, nothing noteworthy about her design, nothing noteworthy about her service history, I guess the Dutch have some affinity towards her but meh if I can't think of anything worthy to say about her then there will be even less things to say about any cruise ship built since the 70's, the only vessel that might be worth preserving is Queen Mary II and that's only due to her being the last ocean liner that will ever be built, Cunard/Carnival won't build another one.

What made the QE2 and SS Great Britain worth preserving as hotel and museum ships.


I don’t think QE2 was worth saving she should have gone to the breakers, but people in Dubai have more money that sense, I doubt she will ever make money as a hotel? SS Great Britain has a long and storied career, and she was designed by Brunel, that makes her worthy of saving, but you can’t say the same about any of the cruise vessels being scrapped today.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4455
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

Kiwirob wrote:
lord knows why Rotterdam was preserved, I can't think of anything special about her, she's pretty small, nothing noteworthy about her design, nothing noteworthy about her service history, I guess the Dutch have some affinity towards her but meh if I can't think of anything worthy to say about her then there will be even less things to say about any cruise ship built since the 70's,


Sometimes you just get an investor who succesfully converts a ship into something profitable in the right location. IMO, that's probably what happened there. Could just as well have been any old cruise-liner. That they happened on one called Rotterdam right then and there is probably just a small bonus. It's rare that they become a long term success, but not unheard of.

Another example of a ship turned into a hotel is the Doulos Phos, built in 1914. I visited it a few times when it was a travelling book-shop in the late 90s. It opened in 2019, after having been dragged ashore in Indonesia just south of Singapore.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the current crisis means a number of cruise vessels will be turned into makeshift hotels for a while. More people are spending holidays in Europe, so hotel capacity is constrained. Cruise travel is at a record low, so decent ships are cheap. It won't be anything permanent, only for a few years until they degrade a bit, then they'll go for scrap.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Two weeks ago, a Hong Kong developer was looking into buying stakes in Urban Commons to bring in some much needed money for restoring the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. Interesting to see how that plays out.
https://www.costar.com/article/11396989 ... mary-hotel
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 pm

WTTC and Carnival Corp

“We invite you to join us for our upcoming Global Scientific Summit on Covid-19, being co-hosted by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), at 3:00PM on July 28, as a live webcast.”

Anyone who might like to join can register here

https://covidsciencesummit.com/
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:25 pm

The Carnival Fantasy has been beached at Aliaga next to the Sovereign and Monarch after 30 years in service. Another ship with 15 years of service life left cut short by COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cruiseradi ... video/amp/
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:28 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Carnival Fantasy has been beached at Aliaga next to the Sovereign and Monarch after 30 years in service. Another ship with 15 years of service life left cut short by COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cruiseradi ... video/amp/


Inspiration will join her in a week or so...

Next up Fascination and Imagination will probably be, my guess, sent to follow along to Turkey soon enough :(

That will leave Ecstasy and Sensation of the original configuration Fantasy Class, plus the "improved Fantasy Class" Elation and Paradise with the azimuth pods and updated engines/electrics... I can say Ecstasy was "in excellent condition" according to her Captain and Chief Engineer in January on the Behind the Fun tour... and she was in seemingly good shape below decks... but I don't have a comparison point either. Maybe the post-fire rebuild made a difference? They seem to be sailing the Ecstasy the most of any ship right now too with the repatriations.

I just don't get the order they are disposing of them in... Fantasy sure, oldest... but Inspiration is the last unimproved Fantasy-Class built... is there something wrong with her on a structural level? Can find very little information on her compared to the others in that regard.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 am

northstardc4m wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Carnival Fantasy has been beached at Aliaga next to the Sovereign and Monarch after 30 years in service. Another ship with 15 years of service life left cut short by COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cruiseradi ... video/amp/


Inspiration will join her in a week or so...

Next up Fascination and Imagination will probably be, my guess, sent to follow along to Turkey soon enough :(

That will leave Ecstasy and Sensation of the original configuration Fantasy Class, plus the "improved Fantasy Class" Elation and Paradise with the azimuth pods and updated engines/electrics... I can say Ecstasy was "in excellent condition" according to her Captain and Chief Engineer in January on the Behind the Fun tour... and she was in seemingly good shape below decks... but I don't have a comparison point either. Maybe the post-fire rebuild made a difference? They seem to be sailing the Ecstasy the most of any ship right now too with the repatriations.

I just don't get the order they are disposing of them in... Fantasy sure, oldest... but Inspiration is the last unimproved Fantasy-Class built... is there something wrong with her on a structural level? Can find very little information on her compared to the others in that regard.

I also thought they would have gone to a secondhand cruise line rather than scrapped.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:40 am

Carnival believed to be eyeing sale of Cunard and Seabourn brands, cruise insiders say

Sources say the prospective sales of the historic line and Seabourn would likely be prompted by ageing customer demographics and a need to generate higher returns

www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry ... 2-1-848809
 
johns624
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:42 am

OA260 wrote:
Carnival believed to be eyeing sale of Cunard and Seabourn brands, cruise insiders say

Sources say the prospective sales of the historic line and Seabourn would likely be prompted by ageing customer demographics and a need to generate higher returns

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-an ... 2-1-848809
ArchGuy, here's your chance!
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12957
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:16 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Carnival Fantasy has been beached at Aliaga next to the Sovereign and Monarch after 30 years in service. Another ship with 15 years of service life left cut short by COVID-19.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cruiseradi ... video/amp/


Inspiration will join her in a week or so...

Next up Fascination and Imagination will probably be, my guess, sent to follow along to Turkey soon enough :(

That will leave Ecstasy and Sensation of the original configuration Fantasy Class, plus the "improved Fantasy Class" Elation and Paradise with the azimuth pods and updated engines/electrics... I can say Ecstasy was "in excellent condition" according to her Captain and Chief Engineer in January on the Behind the Fun tour... and she was in seemingly good shape below decks... but I don't have a comparison point either. Maybe the post-fire rebuild made a difference? They seem to be sailing the Ecstasy the most of any ship right now too with the repatriations.

I just don't get the order they are disposing of them in... Fantasy sure, oldest... but Inspiration is the last unimproved Fantasy-Class built... is there something wrong with her on a structural level? Can find very little information on her compared to the others in that regard.

I also thought they would have gone to a secondhand cruise line rather than scrapped.


If a second operator had wanted them they probably would have bought them. These are older ships, there isn’t enough operators to take over every old ship, some just have to be wrecked.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 am

OA260 wrote:
Carnival believed to be eyeing sale of Cunard and Seabourn brands, cruise insiders say

Sources say the prospective sales of the historic line and Seabourn would likely be prompted by ageing customer demographics and a need to generate higher returns

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-an ... 2-1-848809

Wouldn't be too surprised if Royal picked them up as they have been trying to get into the ultra high end cruising as well. MSC too.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3221
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:24 am

stl07 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Carnival believed to be eyeing sale of Cunard and Seabourn brands, cruise insiders say

Sources say the prospective sales of the historic line and Seabourn would likely be prompted by ageing customer demographics and a need to generate higher returns

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-an ... 2-1-848809

Wouldn't be too surprised if Royal picked them up as they have been trying to get into the ultra high end cruising as well. MSC too.


I would be amazed if RCL picks up either, they already have Azamara and Silversea.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8470
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Maybe NCL could pick up Seabourne and merge its operations with Regent.

I wonder if Cunard can be spun off as its own cruise holding company. Maybe they can also acquire a lower tier cruise line so that Cunard becomes the high end line while giving a taste of Cunard service at the lower tier one.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:28 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Carnival believed to be eyeing sale of Cunard and Seabourn brands, cruise insiders say

Sources say the prospective sales of the historic line and Seabourn would likely be prompted by ageing customer demographics and a need to generate higher returns

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-an ... 2-1-848809

Wouldn't be too surprised if Royal picked them up as they have been trying to get into the ultra high end cruising as well. MSC too.


I would be amazed if RCL picks up either, they already have Azamara and Silversea.

I forgot they picked up Silverseas. MSC, however, has been trying to get into the ultralux scene so they might be a contender.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 pm

stl07 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Wouldn't be too surprised if Royal picked them up as they have been trying to get into the ultra high end cruising as well. MSC too.


I would be amazed if RCL picks up either, they already have Azamara and Silversea.

I forgot they picked up Silverseas. MSC, however, has been trying to get into the ultralux scene so they might be a contender.

Hopefully, MSC will keep the traditional Cunard livery.
 
Drafran
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:18 pm

OA260 wrote:
Email in from RCI/CEL :

Royal Caribbean Group is replacing one of the least-loved but most important parts of a cruise vacation – the safety drill – with Muster 2.0™, an entirely new approach to delivering safety information to guests. The innovative program, the first of its kind, reimagines a process originally designed for large groups of people into a faster, more personal approach that encourages higher levels of safety.

With Muster 2.0, the key elements of the safety drill – including reviewing what to expect and where to go in case of an emergency, and instructions on how to properly use a life jacket – will be accessible to guests on an individual basis instead of a group approach that has been followed historically. New technology, eMuster™, will be used to help provide the information to guests via their mobile devices and interactive stateroom TVs. Travelers will be able to review the information at their own time prior to setting sail, eliminating the need for the traditional large group assemblies. The new approach also enables everyone on board to maintain better spacing as guests move about the ship, and it allows guests to enjoy more of their vacation with no interruption.

After reviewing safety information individually, guests will complete the drill by visiting their assigned assembly station, where a crew member will verify that all steps have been completed and answer questions. Each of the steps will need to be completed prior to the ship’s departure, as required by international maritime law.


I'm guessing this was run by the US Coast Guard and similar governmental agencies in other countries who gave their blessing?
 
Drafran
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 pm

stl07 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Wouldn't be too surprised if Royal picked them up as they have been trying to get into the ultra high end cruising as well. MSC too.


I would be amazed if RCL picks up either, they already have Azamara and Silversea.

I forgot they picked up Silverseas. MSC, however, has been trying to get into the ultralux scene so they might be a contender.


MSC has ordered four ships for that purpose--ship-wide Yacht Club vessels. The first at 50,000 grt with 500 rooms due in 2023.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:10 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I would be amazed if RCL picks up either, they already have Azamara and Silversea.

I forgot they picked up Silverseas. MSC, however, has been trying to get into the ultralux scene so they might be a contender.

Hopefully, MSC will keep the traditional Cunard livery.

Well, they would first have to buy them
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:14 pm

Carnival Ecstasy is officially for sale:

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563987

And listings for the Carnival Inspiration and Elation have both vanished (bad as it's unlikely they sold...).

Also listed for sale...

3 Millenium Class (Celebrity). Constellation, Millennium and ???
Radiance of the Seas (RCCL Radiance Class)
Majesty of the Seas (RCCL Sovereign Class)
2 Vision Class (RCCL) (Grandeur of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas)
Sun Princess

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/listi ... xv=&sort=2
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 pm

The Empress of the Seas is heading to Malta and rumors are circulating that ths ship has been sold for scrap. Sovereign and Monarch went to Malta for stripping before they went to the scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey. However, cruises for Empress are still being advertised for late 2020. Will be interesting to see how things play out and hopefully the ship will stay in the Royal Caribbean fleet, as it is one of only two RCI ships that can visit Havana when Cuba cruises are able to resume. If it leaves the Royal Caribbean fleet, hopefully it will go to a secondhand line or be preserved as a hotel and museum ship.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5491/
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8470
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:41 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Radiance of the Seas (RCCL Radiance Class)

That's surprising. Radiance of the Seas is newer than some Voyager class ships. Grandeur, Rhapsody, and Majesty...well, it was only a matter of time.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Carnival Ecstasy is officially for sale:

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563987

And listings for the Carnival Inspiration and Elation have both vanished (bad as it's unlikely they sold...).



Sorry my bad.. fascination and inspiration that should of read not elation.

Also Sensation is apparently also for sale but no public posting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 am

Dream Cruises has restarted cruises in Taiwan with new island hopping itinearies on the Explorer Dream. The cruises have a homeport in Keelung and call at Peng Hu, Matsu Island, Hualien, and Kinmen. A sign of hope amid the COVID-19 crisis.
https://www.ttgasia.com/2020/07/30/drea ... g-concept/
 
bananaboy
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:58 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 am

Heard that Fred.Olsen got a real fire sale price,for their two new ships. Rumour was that the original asking price for the pair was around £100mil and that they ended up getting them both for around £40mil.

Nothing too specific on the Bonheur website but the finance amounts stated are low.

https://www.bonheur.no/latest-news1?Sel ... 1768CF632F

Is definitely a buyers market....
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Carnival Ecstasy is officially for sale:

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563987

And listings for the Carnival Inspiration and Elation have both vanished (bad as it's unlikely they sold...).

Also listed for sale...

3 Millenium Class (Celebrity). Constellation, Millennium and ???
Radiance of the Seas (RCCL Radiance Class)
Majesty of the Seas (RCCL Sovereign Class)
2 Vision Class (RCCL) (Grandeur of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas)
Sun Princess

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/listi ... xv=&sort=2


3rd Millenium Class is Summit. I was on Constellation back in November they are pretty decent ships.
 
bananaboy
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:58 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 pm

bananaboy wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Carnival Ecstasy is officially for sale:

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563987

And listings for the Carnival Inspiration and Elation have both vanished (bad as it's unlikely they sold...).

Also listed for sale...

3 Millenium Class (Celebrity). Constellation, Millennium and ???
Radiance of the Seas (RCCL Radiance Class)
Majesty of the Seas (RCCL Sovereign Class)
2 Vision Class (RCCL) (Grandeur of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas)
Sun Princess

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/listi ... xv=&sort=2


Interesting site. Looks like Oceania's Insignia is for sale too.


http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563945

As far as I can tell, it's the only NCLH ship listed. They'd just spent a fortune upgrading her which might explain the price.



Interesting to see the Dreamward class up for sale - wouldn't be upset to see them scrapped. Horrible ships. Awkward layout onboard, small cabins. Hated the pair of them at NCL and was glad to see the back of them, though I know some guests liked the Norwegian Dream "party trick" that allowed Kiel Canal transit.


Edit..grr can't get image to post...link below anyways.

Image
http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/11190/normal_Norwegian_Dream.jpg

https://youtu.be/PFZ8J3-rWxk

https://youtu.be/cwTA5MD8OUg
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 pm

bananaboy wrote:
bananaboy wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Carnival Ecstasy is officially for sale:

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563987

And listings for the Carnival Inspiration and Elation have both vanished (bad as it's unlikely they sold...).

Also listed for sale...

3 Millenium Class (Celebrity). Constellation, Millennium and ???
Radiance of the Seas (RCCL Radiance Class)
Majesty of the Seas (RCCL Sovereign Class)
2 Vision Class (RCCL) (Grandeur of the Seas and Rhapsody of the Seas)
Sun Princess

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/listi ... xv=&sort=2


Interesting site. Looks like Oceania's Insignia is for sale too.


http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=563945

As far as I can tell, it's the only NCLH ship listed. They'd just spent a fortune upgrading her which might explain the price.



Interesting to see the Dreamward class up for sale - wouldn't be upset to see them scrapped. Horrible ships. Awkward layout onboard, small cabins. Hated the pair of them at NCL and was glad to see the back of them, though I know some guests liked the Norwegian Dream "party trick" that allowed Kiel Canal transit.


Edit..grr can't get image to post...link below anyways.

Image
http://www.naviearmatori.net/albums/userpics/11190/normal_Norwegian_Dream.jpg

https://youtu.be/PFZ8J3-rWxk

https://youtu.be/cwTA5MD8OUg

I actually think Norwegian Dream and Norwegian Wind should be preserved.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9731
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:25 pm

Surprise surprise.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm

Four crew members on Norway cruise ship hospitalised with Covid-19

Four crew members on a Norwegian cruise vessel were diagnosed with Covid-19 after it arrived at the Arctic port of Tromso early today, said the University Hospital of North Norway where they are being treated.

All 160 crew members on the Roald Amundsen have been quarantined on the ship, while the 177 passengers - all of whom have already disembarked - are being contacted by telephone and are being told to self-isolate, operator Hurtigruten said.

www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0731/1156783 ... hip-covid/
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:02 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Empress of the Seas is heading to Malta and rumors are circulating that ths ship has been sold for scrap. Sovereign and Monarch went to Malta for stripping before they went to the scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey. However, cruises for Empress are still being advertised for late 2020. Will be interesting to see how things play out and hopefully the ship will stay in the Royal Caribbean fleet, as it is one of only two RCI ships that can visit Havana when Cuba cruises are able to resume. If it leaves the Royal Caribbean fleet, hopefully it will go to a secondhand line or be preserved as a hotel and museum ship.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5491/


It appears that Empress of the Seas is in fact still available for sale with a reduced price... 20m usd

http://globalferry.apolloduck.net/detai ... ?id=640467
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
Drafran
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm

We managed to get a penthouse suite on Constellation six years ago. The veranda was amazing; massive. We had a couple of cocktail parties on ours and 20 people fit comfortably. Good memories at least.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24386
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:56 pm

Interesting design that never happened .


https://youtu.be/lzKeVvfOqxA
 
ArchGuy1
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:30 am

OA260 wrote:
Interesting design that never happened .


https://youtu.be/lzKeVvfOqxA

Many design features of this ship are found on the Oasis class ships, the first of which was built only five years later.
 
User avatar
speedygonzales
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am

OA260 wrote:
Four crew members on Norway cruise ship hospitalised with Covid-19

Four crew members on a Norwegian cruise vessel were diagnosed with Covid-19 after it arrived at the Arctic port of Tromso early today, said the University Hospital of North Norway where they are being treated.

All 160 crew members on the Roald Amundsen have been quarantined on the ship, while the 177 passengers - all of whom have already disembarked - are being contacted by telephone and are being told to self-isolate, operator Hurtigruten said.

http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0731/ ... hip-covid/

The outbreak where 36 crew members and 6 passengers have tested positive so far is being linked to failure to observe quarantine rules for 16 Filipino crew members.
https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/JoVg ... rskrevende (in Norwegian)
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: art, Braybuddy, Brianpr3, scbriml, seahawk and 36 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos