Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 am

Damage reported to a cruise ship docked in Beirut Port yesterday .

northstardc4m

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 am

OA260 wrote:

From the warehouse explosion I'm guessing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

OA260

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:00 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
OA260 wrote:

From the warehouse explosion I'm guessing?

Yes it capsized overnight after taking on water.

OA260

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm

4 ships beached in Turkey now :

jetwet1

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Video of the beaching of the Fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxX0W57mwhk

bananaboy

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm

No announcement yet but Carnival seems to have taken Europe 2021 sailings off sale.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-search# ... tions=true

Hoping it's just a change of ship, or they're working on rates and not a full cancellation of the whole season which was already smaller with the removal of Carnival Magic from the program.
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ArchGuy1

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm

OA260 wrote:

The fourth ship is the Carnival Inspiration.

northstardc4m

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:13 pm

OA260 wrote:

Forward bow already missing from the Sovereign... :(
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ArchGuy1

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:08 pm

MSC Cruises will be restarting Mediterranean cruises out of Italy starting on August 16. The company's flagship, MSC Grandiosa will offer cruises to the Western Mediterranean out of Genoa, while the MSC Magnifica will offer Eastern Mediterranean cruises out of Bari. These cruises will be only available for European residents and getting off the ship independently qt a port of call will not be allowed for health and safety reasons. This is something all cruise lines should look at when they restart cruises.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5519/

OA260

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
MSC Cruises will be restarting Mediterranean cruises out of Italy starting on August 16. The company's flagship, MSC Grandiosa will offer cruises to the Western Mediterranean out of Genoa, while the MSC Magnifica will offer Eastern Mediterranean cruises out of Bari. These cruises will be only available for European residents and getting off the ship independently qt a port of call will not be allowed for health and safety reasons. This is something all cruise lines should look at when they restart cruises.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5519/

If it was free I wouldnt go !

frmrCapCadet

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Any estimates of cruise costs and cruise profits in our current situation. I expect it will improve after vaccines are easily available, and somewhat effective.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

ArchGuy1

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:14 pm

A few weeks ago, the Mein Schiff 2 operated by TUI Cruises did a 3 day cruise to nowhere out of Hamburg and strict precautions were put in place. For example, capacity was limited to 60 percent and passengers and crew had to stay 5 feet apart from each other. Masks were required onboard and a health questionnaire had to be filled by passengers before boarding with their temperature taken. Very good start toward resuming cruises.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... p-71987418

ArchGuy1

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Costa Cruises will restart cruises in September with cruises to Italy, Greece, and Malta for Italian residents only. The Costa Diadema and Costa Deliziosa will be used for those cruises and new health protocols will be put in place. Passengers will be required to wear masks in all indoor spaces and outdoor spaces where social distancing is not possible, limited capacity for passengers and crew, temperature checks every day for passengers and crew, and social distancing procedures for being onshore and on the ship. Will see how all this plays out.
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5520

OA260

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Seems Princess was cleared !

Cruise ship inquiry slams 'inexcusable' mistakes by Australian officials

Australian health officials made "unjustifiable" and "inexcusable" mistakes which allowed cruise ship passengers with Covid-19 to disembark in central Sydney, an inquiry has found.

The Carnival Corp-owned Ruby Princess was for a time Australia's biggest single source of infection, with more than 600 cases and over 20 deaths directly linked to those passengers.

www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0814/1 ... e-inquiry/

zkojq

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 am

FGITD wrote:
[Marco Polo has no real distinctive history. I browsed the wikipedia and it seems for the last 30 years or so the ship has either been noteworthy for hitting something, being hit by something, or being in drydock being fixed.

Speaking of hitting stuff...the Astoria is famous for sinking more tonnage than most uboat captains. Still not enough history to warrant a museum. And the locations, you need better space. Where in New York City? Or Nantucket? I haven't been there in years, but I'm pretty sure the people of Nantucket are very strict on the structures on their island. I doubt an old ship that aside from one incident that happened somewhat close by would cut it

:lol: One of the funniest a.net comments I've read all month.

FGITD wrote:
I always liked the muster drill with the life jackets on. Was sort of a fun way to start vacation that definitively said "you are now on a cruise" and it only took a few minutes.

:checkmark: I also think its fairly important to actually visit your muster station if you want to remember how to find it.
First to fly the 787-9

ArchGuy1

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:58 am

The Alaska cruise season has been entirely cancelled after the first cruise of the season had a passenger who tested positive, then negative. After the recipient went onboard the Wilderness Adventurer, the ship turned back to Juneau to quarantine all 60 guests in a local hotel. Tests for all passengers came back as negative. The cruise line operating the ship had been operating under new guidelines that included sailing at 60 percent capacity, guests being issued masks, proper social distancing onboard, daily temperature checks for passengers and crew, and self service dining options being eliminated. Also, passengers would have been required to fly home at the end of the cruise. Sad to see the whole Alaska cruise season being cancelled.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cruiseradi ... eason/amp/

OA260

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:57 pm

P&O and Cunard Cruise guests warned as hackers access private data in major attack

CRUISE giants P&O and Cunard have been hit as part of an attack by hackers. Both guests and staff are being warned that their private data may have been taken in the attack.

Cruise giant Carnival has warned that some of its customers and staff may have had their personal details stolen as part of the intrusion. The company discovered a ransomware attack which accessed and encrypted some of its computers and IT systems on August 15.

www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1324228 ... h-warn/amp

OA260

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Looks like Fred Olsen is to retire two of its “classic” ships - Boudicca and Black Watch – after purchasing two former Holland America ships.

jetwet1

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:58 pm

OA260 wrote:
Looks like Fred Olsen is to retire two of its “classic” ships - Boudicca and Black Watch – after purchasing two former Holland America ships.

To be turned into museums ?????

Sorry, couldn't help myself.......

Of course both ships were originally with Royal Viking, their entire fleet is still in operation with a variety of operators, in normal times I would give it a 50/50 shot at these classic liners continuing in service, but now, sadly, I think they will both be heading to the beach.

ArchGuy1

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:50 am

jetwet1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Of course both ships were originally with Royal Viking, their entire fleet is still in operation with a variety of operators, in normal times I would give it a 50/50 shot at these classic liners continuing in service, but now, sadly, I think they will both be heading to the beach.

Do you think that Boudicca and Black Watch have a chance of being preserved as hotel and museum ships?

speedygonzales

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 am

They'll end up as rebar and steel beams in hotels on land.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

jetwet1

Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Do you think that Boudicca and Black Watch have a chance of being preserved as hotel and museum ships?

No.

In other news, a family was refused entry back on to an MSC ship after violating CV19 rules, if seems they decided to leave the shore excursion they were on and go it alone, when they returned to the ship they found out that MSC wasn't playing around.

ArchGuy1

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:35 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

No.

In other news, a family was refused entry back on to an MSC ship after violating CV19 rules, if seems they decided to leave the shore excursion they were on and go it alone, when they returned to the ship they found out that MSC wasn't playing around.

Places in financial shape to acquire a cruise ship or ocean liner to be preserved as a hotel and museum include Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand, Oman, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Norway, and Iceland.

johns624

Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

No.

Places in financial shape to acquire a cruise ship or ocean liner to be preserved as a hotel and museum include Taiwan, South Korea, New Zealand, Oman, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Norway, and Iceland.
Using what criteria?

BlueberryWheats

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:19 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Yes, I'm sure they could in normal times (before Covid), but why would they want to?
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

AirPacific747

Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Does anyone know what Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Encore are doing in Copenhagen? Looks like they arrived after leaving the US in the beginning of august, and it looks like they are scheduled to do cruises out of new york and los angeles by late october.. so why send them all the way across the pond only to send them back maybe a month or two later?

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 am

Per the forums, NCL is still pressing ahead with Project Leonardo and a few mockups of the interiors have been released. I'll definitely be saving to go on one of their maiden voyages.

johns624 wrote:
Using what criteria?

Don't entertain him...

AirPacific747 wrote:
Does anyone know what Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Encore are doing in Copenhagen?

Repo in case they could have started European cruises? Probably lower costs to be moored in Europe than in the US?

Bliss is strange given that Bliss is usually assigned to do Alaska out of Seattle. Encore was gonna have a summer Caribbean season IIRC...she's slated to come out to the Pacific for Alaska next year.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

AirPacific747

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:30 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Repo in case they could have started European cruises? Probably lower costs to be moored in Europe than in the US?

Bliss is strange given that Bliss is usually assigned to do Alaska out of Seattle. Encore was gonna have a summer Caribbean season IIRC...she's slated to come out to the Pacific for Alaska next year.

I found this info:

http://www.cmport.com/en/news-and-media ... 2020-08-12

Looks like the main reason they sailed across the Atlantic was to let the crew disembark. Danish authorities have agreed to that.

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:47 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

No.

New Zealand are you mental, there is absolutely not desire from the Kiwi population for a preserved ship and I sincerely doubt the Norwegians would want one either. They had a chance with SS Norway and didn’t want it.

OA260

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 am

As expected Cunard has just announced on its media that it will suspend operations until March 2021. m

www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel- ... advisories

ArchGuy1

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:58 pm

The Carnival Imagination, which entered service in 1995 appears to be headed to the scrapyard at Aliaga, Turkey after the Fantasy and Inspiration went there to be scrapped. Latest ship to the scrapyard.
https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Tra ... -graveyard

northstardc4m

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:13 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Carnival Imagination, which entered service in 1995 appears to be headed to the scrapyard at Aliaga, Turkey after the Fantasy and Inspiration went there to be scrapped. Latest ship to the scrapyard.
She's the last without the added balconies and other refits... Leaves Ecstasy and Sensation with the added balconies plus Elation and Paradise... Ecstasy is still listed for sale 100million USD.

ArchGuy1

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:08 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
She's the last without the added balconies and other refits... Leaves Ecstasy and Sensation with the added balconies plus Elation and Paradise... Ecstasy is still listed for sale 100million USD.

Since Carnival Fantasy was rumored to be leaving the Carnival fleet in 2022 before COVID-19, would that ship have gone to Seajets if it were not for the COVID-19 pandemic?

bananaboy

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm

There were protests held in Venice regarding the lack of cruise ships.

Port workers in Venice believe that local officials have not done enough to encourage the return of cruise ships to the city.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... -back.html

They may have a point seeing that both Costa and MSC have not only chosen alternative turnaround ports, but have also avoided the city as a port of call in their cautious return to operation.

P1aneMad

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Since Carnival Fantasy was rumored to be leaving the Carnival fleet in 2022 before COVID-19, would that ship have gone to Seajets if it were not for the COVID-19 pandemic?

I don't believe that the Seajets owner was planning to enter the cruise business before Covid-19 cratered the values of cruise ships.
And the two ex-Holland America boats (MS Veendam & MS Maasdam) plus Oceana from P&O he got will be operated in cooperation of some type with Celestial Cruises who have the know how.

ArchGuy1

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:10 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

I don't believe that the Seajets owner was planning to enter the cruise business before Covid-19 cratered the values of cruise ships.
And the two ex-Holland America boats (MS Veendam & MS Maasdam) plus Oceana from P&O he got will be operated in cooperation of some type with Celestial Cruises who have the know how.

Celestyal also acquired the Costa neoRomantica to operate alongside their two other ships and Celestyal is keeping the two older ships.

einsteinboricua

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 pm

bananaboy wrote:

Port workers in Venice believe that local officials have not done enough to encourage the return of cruise ships to the city.

Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Didn't Venice locals protest the arrival of many cruise ships and megaships? And now, when they finally get a break, they still want cruise ships? Guess they're missing out on a lot of tourist money and only now understand how good they had it.

ArchGuy1

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:45 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
bananaboy wrote:

Didn't Venice locals protest the arrival of many cruise ships and megaships? And now, when they finally get a break, they still want cruise ships? Guess they're missing out on a lot of tourist money and only now understand how good they had it.

They wanted tourism, just not too much of it at once, including too many cruise ships.

bananaboy

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:35 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
bananaboy wrote:

They wanted tourism, just not too much of it at once, including too many cruise ships.

Venice in 2019 had around 13 million overnight guests. It also had around 1.6 million cruise passengers.

It can be argued that cruise tourism causes problems. Cruise passengers represent a small proportion of the overall visitor numbers and are not a huge factor in the issues that Venice is / was experiencing because of too many tourists.

https://www.statista.com/topics/5979/tourism-in-venice/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/771 ... ice-italy/

OA260

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
bananaboy wrote:

Indeed quite ironic but there is a happy medium I guess and could be managed by only allowing smaller ships and caps on the amount allowed per day . Its the masses in Summer that nearly overwhelm the city and that is damaging in various aspects. Was actually looking at webcams of Venice yesterday and it looks like the ideal time to go now . Low numbers and the Rialto Bridge was not packed .

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:36 am

The Grandeur of the Seas will remain in the Royal Caribbean fleet from 2021 onward after being scheduled to be transferred to Pullmantur in March 2021. This comes after Pullmantur was dissolved and the fleet was sold for scrap. The Grandeur will hopefully sail another 20-25 years.
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020 ... -the-fleet

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:50 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Grandeur of the Seas will remain in the Royal Caribbean fleet from 2021 onward after being scheduled to be transferred to Pullmantur in March 2021. This comes after Pullmantur was dissolved and the fleet was sold for scrap. The Grandeur will hopefully sail another 20-25 years.

She’s 24 years old, she is not going to remain in service for the next 25 years, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Vision Class vessels will be the next class RCCL scraps.

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:21 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

She’s 24 years old, she is not going to remain in service for the next 25 years, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Vision Class vessels will be the next class RCCL scraps.

I was thinking another 20 years with the ship going to a secondhand line for further cruise service in a few years.

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:49 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Just...don't...it's like talking in an echo chamber: you'll only hear the same thing over and over.

That being said, I'm amazed they have not made a decision with Empress while slowly removing the Vision class twins. Hard to believe that the Voyager class is entering that area where one more refurbishment could be the last one done (Voyager entered service in 1999 so she's already 20 years old...). Will they be sold/handed off to other cruise lines or will they be kept until into their 40s and then scrapped?

ArchGuy1

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Just...don't...it's like talking in an echo chamber: you'll only hear the same thing over and over.

That being said, I'm amazed they have not made a decision with Empress while slowly removing the Vision class twins. Hard to believe that the Voyager class is entering that area where one more refurbishment could be the last one done (Voyager entered service in 1999 so she's already 20 years old...). Will they be sold/handed off to other cruise lines or will they be kept until into their 40s and then scrapped?

Or they could become hotel and museum ships like the Queen Mary or SS Rotterdam.

OA260

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:35 pm

Whats more interesting is that a few Voyager Class ships are being contemplated for sale!

IH8BY

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I suppose the resort-style cruise ships pose an interesting question when it comes to remarketing.

Take a classic-style cruise liner where the differentiation from line to line is based primarily on service and superficial design elements (colour schemes, furnishings etc.) - for a secondhand purchase it could be a relatively cheap and easy conversion. Take Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines - they can probably take the Holland America ships pretty much as they are, and could probably have done the same with ships from Princess or P&O.

But ships like Voyager and its successors are very much more tailored and I can't immediately see who would buy a ship like that without having to spend a lot of money refurbishing it. Ice rinks, retail promenades and waterparks aren't the hallmarks of many cruise lines buying secondhand. Equally, with the limit to the number of ports that 100,000+ GT cruise ships can readily access (at least without tender) and a limit to which markets can sustain ships of that size, any line that does so is going to find themselves coming directly up against Royal and the other big names in established territory. They'll have to compete on price. Except, and there are quite a lot of variables here, if the buyer is aiming at a new or expanding market - specifically India or China - so I wonder if that's where the resort ships could find themselves. The Chinese market is clearly interested in new tonnage, but I could see ships like this head to this market in the interim.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

Kiwirob

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:12 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I think 100,000 ton vessels are far to big for the secondary market, most of those ship owners a niche operators catering to a specific market. They don't need or want vessels like this. It's probably going to be cheaper for them to order new builds tailored to there needs than modifying a second hand vessel. Saga used to operate second hand vessels then went newbuild for it's latest vessels. I can see Fred Olsen going the same route.

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Or they could become hotel and museum ships like the Queen Mary or SS Rotterdam.

There's only so many places that want an old cruise vessel cluttering up the waterfront. These aren't historic vessels by any stretch, I don't believe any vessel made since the start of the cruise boom in the early 90's is going anywhere other than the scrappers.

ArchGuy1

Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I think 100,000 ton vessels are far to big for the secondary market, most of those ship owners a niche operators catering to a specific market. They don't need or want vessels like this. It's probably going to be cheaper for them to order new builds tailored to there needs than modifying a second hand vessel. Saga used to operate second hand vessels then went newbuild for it's latest vessels. I can see Fred Olsen going the same route.

ArchGuy1 wrote:

There's only so many places that want an old cruise vessel cluttering up the waterfront. These aren't historic vessels by any stretch, I don't believe any vessel made since the start of the cruise boom in the early 90's is going anywhere other than the scrappers.

There are over a hundred museum ships worldwide of varioud types and they are in some cases highly profitable. So, I could see some cruise ships built since the early 1990's, in addition to the ocean liner Queen Mary 2 snd up being preserved as hotel and museum ships.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships

johns624

Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:46 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
There are over a hundred museum ships worldwide of varioud types and they are in some cases highly profitable. So, I could see some cruise ships built since the early 1990's, in addition to the ocean liner Queen Mary 2 snd up being preserved as hotel and museum ships.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships

1. Most are much smaller than a cruise ship or ocean liner. Therefore, they are less expensive to run.
2. They were preserved due to widespread notoriety. Most ships that you suggest for saving aren't well known at all.
3. Many are either government owned or a government/private partnership. I don't see a government getting involved with a cruise ship.
4. There are many hundreds more that were preserved until interest faded and they were quietly towed to the shipbreakers. Along with steam locomotives, airplanes, etc.