Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IH8BY

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 am

jetwet1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think this will become a successful venture?

Not in the current climate.

And not at those rates, not forgetting food etc will be extra.

It's emerging today that they couldn't insure it, so it's been sold for scrap and will be heading to India shortly.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... -for-scrap
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

OA260

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:27 am

IH8BY wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

It's emerging today that they couldn't insure it, so it's been sold for scrap and will be heading to India shortly.

Their statement comes across as a bit bitter.

—-

Interesting program on Channel 4 UK on the cruise industry. Here is the link hopefully those interested can access it.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lux ... om-to-bust

bennett123

Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:43 am

It would be interesting to know how many people had signed up to pay $1,300 a month to rent a cabin.

ArchGuy1

Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:02 am

IH8BY wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Why would insurance companies not insure the ship?

zkojq

Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Does anyone know what the plans are for MS Lofoten? Should be doing her final service any day now. I enjoyed a wonderful Arctic voyage on her a couple of years ago. I believe there is a heritage order on her, so hopefully that means she won't be scrapped. I would expect that the long-term intention is to haul her out of the water and park her next to MS Finnmarken at Stokmarknes?

OA260 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
You jumped the shark with this comment. There’s plenty of cruise ships going to the breakers, I suspect a hell of a lot more will be broken up before the Covid-19 crisis is finished.

Unfortunately yes...

MS Marco Polo and MS Astor (Ex-CMV) have been auctioned and sold to scrappers by the receivers.

Very sad end for such a great ship .

:checkmark: What a shame - she will certainly be missed.

northstardc4m wrote:
If any ship was going to be preserved the Marco Polo would be it, it's a liner and the last Soviet liner in service... and there was no interest in it from any buyers in the auction.

:checkmark:

ArchGuy1 wrote:
and definitely the Oasis class ships are/were historically significant.

gasps

I hate to imagine just how biblical the costs of maintaining an Oasis class ship as a museum ship would be....and anyway, something that ugly doesn't deserve to be saved.

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Karnika has been beached at Alang for scrapping and it is a real loss since that ship was designed by world famous architect Renzo Piano, who also designed the Pompidou Center and The Shard.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... india.html

Her sister ship Satoshi is still afloat.

Why is it a loss, it's just a cruise ship, what other use is there for it?

And that particular class was as unreliable as they were ugly. :yuck:
First to fly the 787-9

bennett123

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Clearly the insurers view the Santoshi as a bad risk.

ArchGuy1

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:05 pm

zkojq wrote:
Does anyone know what the plans are for MS Lofoten? Should be doing her final service any day now. I enjoyed a wonderful Arctic voyage on her a couple of years ago. I believe there is a heritage order on her, so hopefully that means she won't be scrapped. I would expect that the long-term intention is to haul her out of the water and park her next to MS Finnmarken at Stokmarknes?

OA260 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

Unfortunately yes...

MS Marco Polo and MS Astor (Ex-CMV) have been auctioned and sold to scrappers by the receivers.

Very sad end for such a great ship .

:checkmark: What a shame - she will certainly be missed.

northstardc4m wrote:
If any ship was going to be preserved the Marco Polo would be it, it's a liner and the last Soviet liner in service... and there was no interest in it from any buyers in the auction.

:checkmark:

ArchGuy1 wrote:
and definitely the Oasis class ships are/were historically significant.

gasps

I hate to imagine just how biblical the costs of maintaining an Oasis class ship as a museum ship would be....and anyway, something that ugly doesn't deserve to be saved.

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Karnika has been beached at Alang for scrapping and it is a real loss since that ship was designed by world famous architect Renzo Piano, who also designed the Pompidou Center and The Shard.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... india.html

Her sister ship Satoshi is still afloat.

Why is it a loss, it's just a cruise ship, what other use is there for it?

And that particular class was as unreliable as they were ugly. :yuck:

The MS Lofoten will become a training ship for cadet mariners starting in August 2021.
https://www.mynewsdesk.com/no/hurtigrut ... ip-3054271

ArchGuy1

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:16 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
IH8BY wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Why would insurance companies not insure the ship?

Had Pacific Dawn been tied at a pier or placed on dry land, this might have worked like what was done with the QE2 for use as a hotel and museum ship in Dubai.

bennett123

Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm

https://vivavivas.com/2020/12/19/ms-sat ... QTMn64g5xA

'We had requested from the Panama Marine Authority to be considered a non-seagoing vessel which likely would have lessened our burden for insurance, eliminating the requirement to comply with about 32 of the 35 international maritime treaties which Panama has agreed to. However they came back letting us know that because we have an engine and we have a flag, we are to be considered seagoing. In the same way that because a male may have a penis, he is considered a rapist'.

Apparently they thought that a vessel at sea and with an engine would not be viewed as a sea going vessel. Surely they would have some enquiries before buying it.

I have to disagree with you. IMO, and I suspect that of most others, the brand of the QE2 was/is much stronger than the Pacific Dawn.

Also the Pacific Dawn was not converted into a hotel and museum ship in the middle of a pandemic.

ArchGuy1

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:08 pm

bennett123 wrote:
https://vivavivas.com/2020/12/19/ms-satoshis-journey-coming-to-an-end/?fbclid=IwAR1_BAJQriZ-psGz3MEdTEBkV6vUhred6GPrHhCI13m_bn4jSQTMn64g5xA

'We had requested from the Panama Marine Authority to be considered a non-seagoing vessel which likely would have lessened our burden for insurance, eliminating the requirement to comply with about 32 of the 35 international maritime treaties which Panama has agreed to. However they came back letting us know that because we have an engine and we have a flag, we are to be considered seagoing. In the same way that because a male may have a penis, he is considered a rapist'.

Apparently they thought that a vessel at sea and with an engine would not be viewed as a sea going vessel. Surely they would have some enquiries before buying it.

I have to disagree with you. IMO, and I suspect that of most others, the brand of the QE2 was/is much stronger than the Pacific Dawn.

Also the Pacific Dawn was not converted into a hotel and museum ship in the middle of a pandemic.

Did you mean QE2 not converted during the middle of a pandemic?

bennett123

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Good spot.

ArchGuy1

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:29 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Good spot.

What are the distinguishing factors for QE2 that led to that ship being preserved as a hotel and museum ship?

bennett123

Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Firstly that it was a liner, not a cruise ship.

Secondly, that it was built as a one off, rather than one of a batch as most cruise ships are.

Thirdly, that it was widely recognised by the general public and had a certain status.

OA260

Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Carnival Cruise Line’s New Mardi Gras Docks in Rotterdam for First LNG Refueling

Carnival Cruise Line’s new Mardi Gras made its first port call this morning in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, where the ship will refuel with Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) for the first time after delivery.

The Mardi Gras, set to begin sailing from Port Canaveral, Fla., next year, will be the first cruise ship in the Americas to be powered by LNG, making history.

Carnival said the Mardi Gras is equipped with four medium speed LNG engines that will be run in port and at sea. The ship can operate for two weeks between refuelings, which will happen in Port Canaveral.

www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/ ... iVlc7fz_zg

FGITD

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Had the same problem with my car. I insisted that it just happened to be a shed that I had equipped with an engine, wheels, steering, brakes, seats, and windows and that I planned on driving it to work. Those insurance jerks said that constitutes a vehicle

What exactly would one put into an Oasis class sized museum, anyway? It would be a massive amount of space to fill

zippyjet

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:31 pm

God willing things will be closer to "normal" or better yet normal in 2021. I'm booked for the MSC Mervaglia April 17. First cruise not on Carnival. And God willing the Carnival Mardi Gras next September. Back to the thread topic. I've sailed on both the Imagination and Fascination. They are smaller slightly older ships. I believe the remaining Fantasy class ships for Carnival have had at least one drydock. Upgrades, renovations. Hopefully Carnival has added Guy's Burgers another guilty pleasure to cruising. You may want to view the reviews and threads over at Cruise Critic. One thing I really liked about the Fantasy class ships...Their locker rooms in the spa were ultra modern, luxurious and spacious with a steam room and sauna. Reminded me of a luxury spa. As newer Carnival classes came online the locker rooms have shrunken and more utilitarian. Not that I'm spending time in a locker room. I prefer the Fantasy class locker rooms because they are larger and airier. I use the spa and swim and the steam room so, its easier for me to get a locker and shower. Showers much larger than your cabin. When I'm travelling with others there's less hassle. Each of us gets to shower when we want. Why be all sweaty and wet and have to go in and out of the air conditioning to get to your cabin to cleanup especially after a steam or sauna. The only thing to look out for on an older ship...That is cabin A/C. On some of the older Carnival ships I've had cabins that were hotter than I like. I'm not in my cabin much but after sun, fun. surf and plenty of food and drink I want my sleeping area chilly. Enjoy your cruise..
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

OA260

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:43 pm

zippyjet wrote:
God willing things will be closer to "normal" or better yet normal in 2021. I'm booked for the MSC Mervaglia April 17.

Hate to be negative but expect that to be axed. Then fight for a refund which has taken up to 7 months to get. Friends of mine were booked for last March and only recently got their refund. MSC have been the slowest when its come to refunds.

OA260

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:19 am

Royal Caribbean takes legal action against survivors of New Zealand's White Island volcano disaster
The cruise company has filed lawsuits in the Australian federal court to try to stop survivors suing it in the US

The cruise line Royal Caribbean has launched legal action in Australia in a bid to stop victims of New Zealand’s White Island eruption from suing it in Miami, where it has its headquarters.

In litigation in Miami, American couple Ivy and Paul Reed, who were severely burned when the White Island volcano erupted a year ago, and Australians Marie and Stephanie Browitt, who lost family in the disaster, have accused Royal Caribbean of failing in its duty to keep passengers safe by allowing a day trip to White Island to go ahead despite warnings the volcano might erupt.

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/24/r ... SApp_Other

zkojq

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

The MS Lofoten will become a training ship for cadet mariners starting in August 2021.

Excellent! That's a really good outcome for the situation. I noticed this bit from the press release which is also great news:

Through the sales agreement, Hurtigruten has reserved the rights to charter MS Lofoten from the foundation during periods outside the school year.

Hurtigruten is looking into launching one or more MS Lofoten farewell voyages on the Norwegian coast in spring 2021 – if the Covid-19 situation allows for it.

OA260 wrote:
Royal Caribbean takes legal action against survivors of New Zealand's White Island volcano disaster
The cruise company has filed lawsuits in the Australian federal court to try to stop survivors suing it in the US

The cruise line Royal Caribbean has launched legal action in Australia in a bid to stop victims of New Zealand’s White Island eruption from suing it in Miami, where it has its headquarters.

In litigation in Miami, American couple Ivy and Paul Reed, who were severely burned when the White Island volcano erupted a year ago, and Australians Marie and Stephanie Browitt, who lost family in the disaster, have accused Royal Caribbean of failing in its duty to keep passengers safe by allowing a day trip to White Island to go ahead despite warnings the volcano might erupt.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/d ... SApp_Other

That's impressively scummy behavior - even for a cruise line.
First to fly the 787-9

ArchGuy1

Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Many ocean liners and cruise ships built from the 1950's onward sailed or at least lasted 40-50 years before being scrapped. Examples include the Kenya Castle/Amerikanis, Regal Empress, Empress of Britain/Topaz, Empress of Canada/Mardi Gras, Santa Rosa (1958), Southern Cross, the Saxonia class ships, SS Argentina and SS Brasil, Statendam (1957), RMS Windsor Castle, Maxim Gorky, Kungsholm (1966), Gripsholm (1957), Oriana (1960), Augustus, Transvaal Castle/Festivale, SS France/SS Norway, SS Oceanic, Starward/Aegean Queen, Cunard Adventurer, the Pacific Princess and Island Princess, Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sagafjord, Vistafjord, and Spirit of London. Furthermore, the SS Rotterdam and MV Bore sailed a little over 40 years and 50 years respectively before being preserved as hotel and museum ships. QE2 sailed a little under 40 years before ending up preserved as a hotel and museum ship in Dubai. Lastly, the Saga Sapphire is still going to another line despite being almost 40 years of age. So, the average life of a cruise ship went up from 25-30 years to a little over 40 years shortly before COVID-19. This is why the ocean liner Queen Mary 2 was built with a 40 year service life and Cunard is looking to extend that to 50 years.

zippyjet

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:24 pm

OA260 wrote:
zippyjet wrote:
God willing things will be closer to "normal" or better yet normal in 2021. I'm booked for the MSC Mervaglia April 17.

Hate to be negative but expect that to be axed. Then fight for a refund which has taken up to 7 months to get. Friends of mine were booked for last March and only recently got their refund. MSC have been the slowest when its come to refunds.

I figured that. It's that game of wait and see.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

c933103

Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:07 am

https://www.travelvoice.jp/20201125-147602
Diamond Princess to aim for service resumption in 2021 July
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

ArchGuy1

Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:58 pm

The MV Funchal is currently up for auction and the date is January 29, 2021 and comes after Signature Living went out of business. I really hope this ship is spared from the breakers, even as a botique hotel in Lisbon or Porto.
http://www.cruiseharbournews.com/Funchalauction.html

bennett123

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:12 am

What another boutique hotel?.

ArchGuy1

Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:51 pm

bennett123 wrote:

The MV Doulos has such a role on an island in Indonesia.

bennett123

Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:31 am

One B747 got converted into a hotel in Stockholm.

Sadly the commercial reality is that most get scrapped, particularly in the present economic climate.

That said, it is a more practical size than many of the retired cruise ships and looks less like a 1970's tower block than most..

ArchGuy1

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Empress of the Seas has been acquired by the Indian cruise line Cordelia Cruises. The company is working on adding a second ship, but has no further details. Some good news with COVID-19 taking place.
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020 ... f-the-seas

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 am

zkojq wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Excellent! That's a really good outcome for the situation. I noticed this bit from the press release which is also great news:

Through the sales agreement, Hurtigruten has reserved the rights to charter MS Lofoten from the foundation during periods outside the school year.

Hurtigruten is looking into launching one or more MS Lofoten farewell voyages on the Norwegian coast in spring 2021 – if the Covid-19 situation allows for it.

Which is what they do with the other veteran ship on the Hurtigruten coastal service MS Nordstjernen, she operates during the summer season.

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

And look how ridiculous it looks, a better fate for this vessel was the scrappers yard.

ArchGuy1

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

And look how ridiculous it looks, a better fate for this vessel was the scrappers yard.

It appears that the Albatros and the Carnival Fascination are becoming hotel ships like the Queen Mary and SS Rotterdam.

OA260

Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:51 pm

NCL are further suspending sailings until April it seems .

OA260

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 am

AIDA Canceled Cruises due to Unspecified IT Outage

Carnival Corporation’s brands AIDA and Costa Cruises are both reporting technical problems that are affecting operations. The problems were first announced by AIDA on December 25, but neither the corporation nor either of the cruise lines has confirmed a cyberattack or a malware intrusion.

AIDA released a brief statement on its social media and sent to passengers saying, “unfortunately, we are currently affected by IT restrictions. Therefore, we are currently not available to our customers by phone or email.” AIDA’s website however is functioning although Costa Cruises online booking engine is currently offline.

www.maritime-executive.com/article/aida ... -it-outage

ArchGuy1

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 am

The SS United States is noted for being the fastest transatlantic liner afloat and had the ability to be converted to a troopship. The ship is currently morred in Philadelphia and the SS United States Conservancy is partnering with RXR Realty to study the possible redevelopment of the ship. This process has been slowed by the COVID-19 pandemic, but is still moving forward. Hope to see this ship saved from the scrapyard.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.co ... index.html

FGITD

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 am

Any plan with the SSUS is effectively a ship of Theseus. They’d most likely be forced to repair her just to get her into a good enough condition to scrap.

She’s a great ship worthy of having been saved. But also the textbook case of why saving ships is usually a hopeless endeavor.

ArchGuy1

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:39 pm

The Costa Firenze has been delivered to Costa Cruises this week and will debut in Europe in 2021 and then move to China. The interior design is the celebration of a Tuscan city and a cradle of Renaissance art and culture. Food and beverage options are based on Mediterranean cuisine and seen in 13 bars and 7 restaurants. Starting on February 28, 2021 the Costa Firenze will sail on Western Mediterranean routes with two different itinearies. The first includes the Italian destinations of La Spezia and Genoa and excursions to Florence and Naples as well as Valencia, Marseille, and Barcelona. The second itinerary includes Civitavecchia and Genoa with shore excursions to Rome and port stops in Naples, Ibiza, Barcelona, and Marseille. After October 2021, the ship will move to Asia to join her sister ship Costa Vicenza. Very exciting ship to look forward to next year.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... renze.html

OA260

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:47 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Costa Firenze has been delivered to Costa Cruises this week and will debut in Europe in 2021 and then move to China. The interior design is the celebration of a Tuscan city and a cradle of Renaissance art and culture. Food and beverage options are based on Mediterranean cuisine and seen in 13 bars and 7 restaurants. Starting on February 28, 2021 the Costa Firenze will sail on Western Mediterranean routes with two different itinearies. The first includes the Italian destinations of La Spezia and Genoa and excursions to Florence and Naples as well as Valencia, Marseille, and Barcelona. The second itinerary includes Civitavecchia and Genoa with shore excursions to Rome and port stops in Naples, Ibiza, Barcelona, and Marseille. After October 2021, the ship will move to Asia to join her sister ship Costa Vicenza. Very exciting ship to look forward to next year.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... renze.html

Just a shame the Costa Cruises brand is such a dreadful product. Having sailed them or more endured them twice I would not go back .

ArchGuy1

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:00 pm

The Carnival Fascination is set to become a floating hotel in Asia after being sold to the Chinese cruise operator Century Ceuises under the name Century Harmony. The ship will apparently operate in the Chinese market and the new owner is already recruiting. This is certainly a change from the disposal of Carnival Fantasy, Inspiration, and Imagination which were sent to the scrapyard in Aliaga, Turkey. Hope this ship will be able to succeed.
https://www.cruisehive.com/sold-fantasy ... ange/44777

OA260

Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm

The Cruise Ship Suicides

Confined mostly to tiny cabins as the pandemic unfolded, crew members struggled to cope.

At first, Jozsef Szaller’s crewmates didn’t think much of his absence. Szaller, after all, usually skipped going to dinner on the Carnival Breeze, the cruise ship where they were all living under the strange and surreal conditions of a floating Covid-19 lockdown. The socially distanced buffet line could take 30 minutes to get through, and cruise workers were allowed outside their cabins at mealtime for only an hour or two. Instead of eating, he preferred using the open-air breaks to smoke on deck or grab a $1.75 vodka soda from one of the bars that was still open. Anything to survive the monotony.

Szaller had been working on Carnival ships since January, but the new coronavirus brought the industry to a halt. After pausing sailings in mid-March, Carnival Corp. and its main competitor, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., went to great lengths to repatriate vacationers, sending passengers home by chartered flights. Crew members didn’t receive the same treatment. After the guests went home, tens of thousands of workers stayed at sea for months. Some described feeling like prisoners or pieces of cargo with no ETA.

www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-cruise- ... zMvxMR-Zvc

ArchGuy1

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:53 am

FGITD wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Had the same problem with my car. I insisted that it just happened to be a shed that I had equipped with an engine, wheels, steering, brakes, seats, and windows and that I planned on driving it to work. Those insurance jerks said that constitutes a vehicle

What exactly would one put into an Oasis class sized museum, anyway? It would be a massive amount of space to fill

What type of space is there to fill in a warship that is preserved as a museum ship or an old ocean liner like Queen Mary, QE2, or SS Rotterdam?

bennett123

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:07 am

A warship has history and the structure of the ship are the exhibits.The same for the old ocean liners.

In a cruise ship, the role of the ship is to transport you between interesting destinations. Meaning that you spent most of the time aboard sleeping. Take away the interesting destinations and you have not got a lot.

ArchGuy1

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:09 am

bennett123 wrote:
A warship has history and the structure of the ship are the exhibits.

The same for the old ocean liners. In a cruise ship, the role of the ship is to transport you between interesting destinations. Take away the interesting destinations and you have not got a lot.

It appears Albatros and Carnival Fascination are both becoming floating hotels.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:12 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
A warship has history and the structure of the ship are the exhibits.

The same for the old ocean liners. In a cruise ship, the role of the ship is to transport you between interesting destinations. Take away the interesting destinations and you have not got a lot.

It appears Albatros and Carnival Fascination are both becoming floating hotels.

How does that relate to what you quoted from Bennett?

Anyway, being a hotel is different to being a museum. Nobody wants to go to a museum where there are hundreds of identical bland cabins. As Bennett says, at least with an older ship the ship itself is the exhibit. A modern cruise ship is a floating Holiday Inn.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

qf789

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 am

Please continue discussion in Cruise Ship/Ocean Liner Thread - 2021

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1455919
Forum Moderator