Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Non-Av Pic Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

Welcome to the Non-Aviation Pictures Thread 2020. Please continue to post your pictures here. Starting in 2020 there will be a single thread for the whole year.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1432553

Braybuddy

Non-Av pic thread, Q3 2020

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:01 pm

We haven't had one of these in a while, and the world is a VERY different place since the last time:

Redd

Re: Non-Av Pic Thread - 2020

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks for restarting the thread, a fresh change from politics :D Great photos like usual Braybuddy!!

Some (unedited yet) snaps from a recent session for a friends' jewellery atelier.

WarRI1

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:33 am

Braybuddy and Redd

It is certainly refreshing to see such great photos come on again. It has been a long time coming. I thank you, my tired battered brain thanks you. A far cry from sickness and death and politics. :cheerful: :cheerful:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Braybuddy

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 am

Redd wrote:
Thanks for restarting the thread, a fresh change from politics :D Great photos like usual Braybuddy!!

Some (unedited yet) snaps from a recent session for a friends' jewellery atelier.

Thanks Redd, and well done with those fine pics for your friend. They're very classy, even if they are unedited, which is important for advertising jewellery.

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy and Redd

It is certainly refreshing to see such great photos come on again. It has been a long time coming. I thank you, my tired battered brain thanks you. A far cry from sickness and death and politics. :cheerful: :cheerful:

My brain thanks yours, WarRI1. And I agree: a break from the usual doom and gloom on here is no harm whatsoever.

Redd

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy and Redd

Thanks War!! :)

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 am

Let's see what I got....

Comet Neowise:

ISS passing through part of the Big Dipper last night:

Jupiter, moons, and surrounding stars:

And full moon:

Yosimite skies:
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cpd

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Let's see what I got....

Comet Neowise:

ISS passing through part of the Big Dipper last night:

Jupiter, moons, and surrounding stars:

And full moon:

Yosimite skies:

Nice - I used to watch for things like the ISS and also MIR.

WarRI1

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 am

Vikkyvik

Nice pictures. I tried to trace the same Comet, but I live next to the airport, too much light in the area to be able to see it.

WingsFan

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:56 am

vikkyvik wrote:

Thanks!

Regarding the comet, I live in LA - there is way too much air and light pollution to see the comet with the naked eye here.

Luckily, cameras pick up stuff that is much much fainter than what you can see.

I live in a relatively small city in WNY with not nearly as much pollution as LA and it was still impossible to view comet with naked eye. I did get pictures of it though but not nearly as good as what you got. What lens did you use?
I have realized that a heavier tripod might be ideal for long exposure shots at night, especially on a windy day. Thanks for sharing

WingsFan

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:59 am

vikkyvik wrote:

Thanks!

Regarding the comet, I live in LA - there is way too much air and light pollution to see the comet with the naked eye here.

Luckily, cameras pick up stuff that is much much fainter than what you can see.

I live in a relatively small city in WNY with not nearly as much pollution as LA and it was still impossible to view comet with naked eye. I did get pictures of it though but not nearly as good as what you got. What lens did you use for the Jupiter and Moon shots?
I have realized that a heavier tripod might be ideal for long exposure shots at night, especially on a windy day. Thanks for sharing[/quote][/quote]

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:28 pm

WingsFan wrote:
sorry folks. didn't mean to spam this thread. Just cant remove duplicate posts somehow.

Whoa man, you alright there? :biggrin:

WingsFan wrote:
I did get pictures of it though but not nearly as good as what you got. What lens did you use for the Jupiter and Moon shots?

For the wider comet shot showing part of the house and trees, that was my 17-40mm. For the zoomed in comet shots, the Moon, Jupiter, and the ISS, those are all my 100-400. They pretty much all have some cropping as well.

WingsFan wrote:
I have realized that a heavier tripod might be ideal for long exposure shots at night, especially on a windy day.

Yes, it is invaluable.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:30 pm

In case you are posting twice by accident or due to system errors, please use the reporting function and ask for deletion. Thanks.

Braybuddy

Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Some more summer pics, before it's just a distant memory. A few random shots, but most were taken around the second city of Cork, and it's beautiful county:

WarRI1

Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 am

Excellent photos. Good to see your work again. The picture of the painter caught my eye. Around my way, I have never seen a stabilizer on the bottom of a ladder. Then it struck me, cement sidewalks, stucco walls, it is clever to stabilize the bottom, not the top on such hard slippery surfaces, never mind the pitch of the streets. My take anyway.

Braybuddy

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Thank you! I take your word for it on the ladder. It's all too technical for me . . . :slaphappy:

WarRI1

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:59 am

Braybuddy wrote:
Thank you! I take your word for it on the ladder. It's all too technical for me . . . :slaphappy:

As a guy who is not too bright, nor scared of height I can attest that it is not technical when you go your arse, in fact it is quite stupid when you analyze and realize you are still in one piece. :yes:

WarRI1

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

As a guy who is not too bright, nor scared of height I can attest that it is not technical when you go your arse, in fact it is quite stupid when you analyze and realize you are still in one piece. :yes:

A footnote, I was up on a ladder again today working on security cameras. Still in one piece. TG.

Braybuddy

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:21 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
A footnote, I was up on a ladder again today working on security cameras. Still in one piece. TG.

I hope you had that stabiliser on it! :slaphappy:

WarRI1

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I hope you had that stabiliser on it! :slaphappy:

I did. ;)

David_itl

Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:32 am

Normally I would have done over 30 trips over the UK in the first 9 months of a years. So far this year.... it's a princely 3. One was a Lego exhibition, 1 was taking photos at my bosses wedding 2 weeks ago and last week to Chatsworth House. What I have done is upgrade myself to a "real" camera (more or less browbeaten into getting one for the wedding by my work colleagues).. Most of the time it's been photos form my window

A green parakeet on 5th September (using my old camera)

Chatsworth House on 28th September

TUGMASTER

Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:30 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Excellent photos. Good to see your work again. The picture of the painter caught my eye. Around my way, I have never seen a stabilizer on the bottom of a ladder. Then it struck me, cement sidewalks, stucco walls, it is clever to stabilize the bottom, not the top on such hard slippery surfaces, never mind the pitch of the streets. My take anyway.

If that picture of the ladder and painter was taken in Cork, it was also probably padlocked to the ground to stop and bastard robbing it.....

WarRI1

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:38 am

That is funny, I was just working on my house and I did not want to take down the ladder for the night so I padlocked it so it would not be carried off. Same everywhere these days. Sad, very sad.

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:09 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
If that picture of the ladder and painter was taken in Cork, it was also probably padlocked to the ground to stop and bastard robbing it.....

Don't tell them that in Montenotte! :eek:

Time for some more homegrown pics, this time with a slight autumnal touch:

WarRI1

Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:48 am

Braybuddy.

Good to see your work as always. I find the picture of the AC units interesting, what are they stored for the Winter? A neat job of stacking. I have a touch of Claustrophobia and when I saw that shot of the low bridge, it triggered it. The camera made it seem like the arch was in my face. :eek:

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:01 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Good to see your work as always. I find the picture of the AC units interesting, what are they stored for the Winter? A neat job of stacking. I have a touch of Claustrophobia and when I saw that shot of the low bridge, it triggered it. The camera made it seem like the arch was in my face. :eek:

Your eagle eye is as sharp as every WarRI1, but they are a bit more than AC units: they're shipping containers, which is why they are stacked so neatly.

The bridge isn't that claustrophobic: it's just the lens and the camera angle. :smile:

WarRI1

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:04 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Braybuddy.

Your eagle eye is as sharp as every WarRI1, but they are a bit more than AC units: they're shipping containers, which is why they are stacked so neatly.

The bridge isn't that claustrophobic: it's just the lens and the camera angle. :smile:

That is very interesting, I wondered how they could stack them like that. I see now though. I will have to take your word for the lens and the camera angle because if I have to bend to go under, I do not go under. :smile: I have never worked as a miner for sure. ;)

sulman

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:45 am

Some from my neck of the woods.

It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Braybuddy

Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:42 pm

Happy Hallowe'en! :crazy: It's a great night to get off your head . . . :spin: . Also some seasonal pics. Once you get over the fact that summer is over autumn isn't that bad, and it can be great for interesting and atmospheric photos. Other pics taken in the beautiful county of Donegal, and my native County Wicklow:

Jalap

Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Here's an old slide I scanned. It was made by my father. It was stored poorly, lost colour and molded.
Dates back to 1972 and imo it only got better with age and damage! This is how it came straight from the scanner:

Braybuddy

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Now that we're coming to the end of another year, I've been browsing through my (underwhelming) pics from 2020, and it's sad looking at the shots taken just after the year turned. The new decade seemed full of hope and optimism (as all new decades seem to be), yet little did we know that within weeks 2020 would come crashing to a halt. It's also sad to think that for the first time (in my lifetime anyway) a New Year's Eve is effectively cancelled. I never thought I'd live to see THAT day :crazy:. Here's to a brighter 2021:

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Please continue to post your pictures and yiur discussion here:

Non-Av Pic Thread - 2021

Thread will be locked.