Topic Author

My "20-20 vision" predictions

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:56 am

My "20-20 vision" predictions are below:

Trump will win the second term election - It is confirmed
The Global economy will be even better
Roughly 500,000 more new jobs will enter the US job market
US unemployment rate will be at a record low averaging below 3%

2019 was a very great year as global economic boom picked up steam and the world is now a peaceful place. 2019 will be remembered as the greatest year ever and 2020 will be even better.

Again, Happy 2020

kaitak

Re: My "20-20 vision" predictions

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:29 am

As much as I'd hate it to be true, I do fear that Trump is on course for a second term. Of course, it depends on who the Dems choose as their running mate. While it is true that there are dust devils blowing through abandoned towns in New Mexico who would make more dignified, effective Presidents that Trump, a good economy will help. A lot will also depend on who is feeling the benefit of the economic growth. Have Trump's tax cuts been a success? Apart from the tax legislation, has he done anything else of note?

The demographics will also be interesting (as will Republican attempts to disenfranchise certain groups); there will be a lot more younger voters and they'll be solidly anti-trump. For those states that he won (but wasn't expected to), has his Presidency reaped any noticeable benefits for them?

Climate change will be an increasingly important issue (again, particularly among younger voters), but the Republicans seem to be in complete denial. We may see clearer evidence of its effects over the coming year.

Internationally, the US might find itself more and more isolated? Will Trump care? Probably not; foreign relations and foreign policy rarely have much impact on US elections.

Impeachment and the Senate trial; Trump will probably win the latter. His base doesn't seem to have much of an issue with ethics. If they did, they probably wouldn't be voting Trump in the first place.

So, in effect, I think I agree with most of your conclusions, though I don't necessarily welcome them!

Dutchy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 am

That's a very American orientated "vision".

wardialer wrote:
2019 was a very great year as global economic boom picked up steam and the world is now a peaceful place.

Has it? Have you been following the news, not just the US news, but global news?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Flanker7

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:17 am

The world a peaceful place, what news have you been watching?
Flying blue only if possible

ER757

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 am

As much as I detest Trump, I'll give him credit in that he hasn't gotten the US into any major wars. The economy still seems to be humming along even though there have been many predictions of a major recession coming. Hasn't happened yet, and fingers crossed it doesn't since I am retiring soon and don't want my IRA and 401k to go up in smoke. If things continue along this same path, he'll probably win a second term, especially if the Dem nominee is Sanders or Warren.

Airstud

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:27 am

kaitak wrote:
it depends on who the Dems choose as their running mate.

I don't think it does; I think it depends on whether the economy is still good.

'Twill be, so - barring removal from office by the Senate - Trump will be re-elected.

(I'm not looking forward to that... unless Warren is the nominee :biggrin:)
Pancakes are delicious.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:06 am

ER757 wrote:
As much as I detest Trump, I'll give him credit in that he hasn't gotten the US into any major wars..

Now that is a low bar, elsewhere "not getting into major wars" is the default expectation for any incoming government....

Airstud wrote:
kaitak wrote:
it depends on who the Dems choose as their running mate.

I don't think it does; I think it depends on whether the economy is still good.

Given that Republicans lose elections in +8 republican leaning districts under Trump when the economy is good, i am not sure that is going to be the crucial point. It is going to be decided by one questions: Can Republicans, Russians (+ whoever choses to play now the the GOP has decided foreign interference is just peachy) depict whomever the democrats put on the ballot as more despicable as Trump is?

Keep in mind that Trump didn´t win because people wanted him to be president, but because people didn´t want Hilary. Corrected for Voting age population (235M in 2012, 250M in 2016) Trump got his ass handed to him by freaking Mitt Romney (Trump, corrected: 59,25 Mio votes, Romney 60,93 Mio votes, Bush was reelected with a, corrected to 2016 VAP, with almost 61M votes, Obama was elected with 75,6M and reelected with 70 Million). If "not wanting Trump" again drives people to the booth anywhere near "we need a change" did in 2008, his fate is sealed. If not, well, than not.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

L410Turbolet

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am

Bright future lies ahead of the EU.

"Protectionism will no longer be a dirty word in EU policymaking. After free-trading Britain leaves the EU, France and Germany will quickly shunt Brussels toward an industrial policy based on state support, central planning and European champions."

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe- ... hina-iran/

ltbewr

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 pm

The fall US Presidential election could be very close, leading to a partial repeat of 2000 with a battle of close votes in a state to win the Electorial College vote. If in a Republican controlled state, as was Florida in 2000, then Trump wins.

We will continue to see more frequent and devastating signs of the affects of the Global Warming Crises, including out of control wildfires in the western USA, continued rapid loss of glaciers, major ice melt in the arctics, new high temp records and more drought/flooding extremes.

Brexit will happen but with continued discussion of the post-trade deals in the runout.

We will likely see a significant worldwide recession, with possible starting in the UK, China and the USA,

The EU will have to consider reforms to its bureaucracy, reducing its excesses to keep remaining members post-Brexit.

Migration due to wars, political conflicts, economic crises will continue to be an issue around the world and more harsh reactions to it.

tommy1808

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:05 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Bright future lies ahead of the EU.

"Protectionism will no longer be a dirty word in EU policymaking. After free-trading Britain leaves the EU, France and Germany will quickly shunt Brussels toward an industrial policy based on state support, central planning and European champions."

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe- ... hina-iran/

Well, with the other two large economies cheating "playing fair" only gets you to hold the bag... or how Politico phrased it "If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.".

Most stunningly, it is factually wrong on so many level..... a) protectionism never was a bad word in Europe, its policy to be able to feed Europe with European agriculture products, with all that entails to make that happen, since pretty much forever, b) amazing that they think the EU thinks protectionism is bad years after Brexit discussions should have made clear that isn´t the case and c) blocking Chinese buyouts isn´t in the EU purview, the EU only cares about free flow of Investments in the single market, so only national governments can do something.... and good morning Politico editorial board: That discussion has been going for 15 years and, in Politico´s Imagination, "free trade loving" UK is among the leaders of the pack.... they even want to be able to block take-overs retroactively...... and even France, as the loudest, only plans to mirror what the US and China already do....

Odd choice for an editorial....

best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Here go mine.
    Electric vehicles reach a critical mass where electric stations are now cost effective( Maybe Starbucks or others start converting to convenience charging centers.)
    Spacex's Starlink system enables rural areas to access High Speed Internet, and puts pressure on cable and wireless carriers.
    The US November election will see the Democrats take back control of the senate, leaving Trump as a lame duck President should he win reelection.
    There will be a collapse of many US cable companies as streaming networks take over content and they battle for subscribers as 5G/Starlink encroach from the transmission side
    US manufacturing will lag as the ramifications of the Boeing 737 halt reflect through the economy coupled with the uncertainty of the high end car market as electricity supplants gas motors
    US home prices will rise as the Millennials continue to start families
    Worldwide, I expect countries that wish to have influence on Trump will flex their muscle to gain his attention during an election year ( China, Russia, Iran, North Korea)
    The above point will lead to unsettled financial markets over the summer
Where ever you go, there you are.

DL717

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:01 am

5G will be a reality, the problem is data caps will make it largely useless outside of your phone. Cell companies don’t seem to understand the concept of scale. Imagine not needing Satellite or landline/fiber to your home. Now imagine what you’d have to pay to have enough of it to watch a 2 hour HD movie.

4K Blu-ray will continue to beat the odds thrive even in the face of streaming. Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer are now building high quality models vs. throw away players. Samsung stopped making their pieces of junk altogether, finally. All gaming systems will now support 4K BD drives and that will drive disc sales. Streaming is convenient, but quality does matter. No DTS capability with streaming is a problem. It simply can’t match physical media. It also sucks on a very large screen, except for those AppleTV screensavers.

MLB will come to its senses and do like the NFL has done with revenue sharing and salary caps resulting in parity that makes the sport interesting again. Yeah, probably not, but a guy can dream.

The 737MAX will fly again, but Boeing will still be stumbling all over the place on what to do next.

Buffalo will win the a Super Bowl. Yeah, who am I kidding. The Vikings will! I mean, why not? They’ve both been to the big show four times without a win. Why not now? Heck, how about both teams making it. At least one will finally get the win. LOL

New NFL stadium outcomes: The Raiders will be the real winner in Vegas in a big way. The Rams will own the LA market, but have trouble filling the new palace on a regular basis once the polish wears off and people realize that although they are good, they aren’t that good. As for the Chargers, they might wind up a forced sale by the league. No way they let the Chargers get away with 70,000 opposing fans at a home game. Talk about a bad look.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:13 pm

wardialer wrote:
My "20-20 vision" predictions are below:

Trump will win the second term election - It is confirmed
The Global economy will be even better
Roughly 500,000 more new jobs will enter the US job market
US unemployment rate will be at a record low averaging below 3%

2019 was a very great year as global economic boom picked up steam and the world is now a peaceful place. 2019 will be remembered as the greatest year ever and 2020 will be even better.

Again, Happy 2020

Whatever crystal ball you were using for 2020 visions. Please smash it to pieces. :cool2:

Dutchy

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm

This tread. hasn't aged well for the OP.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Braybuddy

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:48 am

In fairness, nobody knew we'd be where we are one month ago, let alone three.

tommy1808

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 am

Braybuddy wrote:

one month ago today was entirely predictable aside of perhaps the really, really slow reaction in the US. Three month ago.. for most people no, that is right.

best regards
Thomas

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:24 am

2019 told 2020 to hold the corona

Braybuddy

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:14 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

one month ago today was entirely predictable aside of perhaps the really, really slow reaction in the US. Three month ago.. for most people no, that is right.

best regards
Thomas

The entire West was caught off guard here. How do you think Europe, and now the US, became the epicentres of the epidemic?

tommy1808

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:46 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

best regards
Thomas

The entire West was caught off guard here. How do you think Europe, and now the US, became the epicentres of the epidemic?

So far only italy, Spain and the USA where caught of guard. The rest executes a plan, encounters unforeseen stuff (evangelicals and Ischgl, "what.. masks are scarce").
Don't mix up a communication plan with not doing stuff and just letting a virus run wild.

Best regards
Thomas

Best regards
Thomas

Braybuddy

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:07 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
So far only italy, Spain and the USA where caught of guard. The rest executes a plan

A plan? Pretty much shutting the door after the horse is bolted, if you want to call that a plan.

tommy1808

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:18 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

A plan? Pretty much shutting the door after the horse is bolted, if you want to call that a plan.

Its no coincidence that countries seem to aim for covid to peak at hospital capacity. It's no coincidence that pandemic plans all over the world, sans USA, where activated in January.

And even in the US it was crystal clear what's coming in late January...
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... 581710002/

Best regards
Thomas

afcjets

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
It's no coincidence that countries seem to aim for covid to peak at hospital capacity. It's no coincidence that pandemic plans all over the world, sans USA, where activated in January.

We had more important issues in the US, impeaching a President for fun (since we knew he wouldn't be removed), focus on real national security threats like the Ukraine, make sure Caitlyn Jenner won't get arrested using the women's room in NC and that she will have access to free abortions.

CaptHadley

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm

afcjets wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
It's no coincidence that countries seem to aim for covid to peak at hospital capacity. It's no coincidence that pandemic plans all over the world, sans USA, where activated in January.

We had more important issues in the US, impeaching a President for fun (since we knew he wouldn't be removed), focus on real national security threats like the Ukraine, make sure Caitlyn Jenner won't get arrested using the women's room in NC and that she will have access to free abortions.

Damn :lol: Now that's some comic relief! Something that we sorely need right now, you do birthday parties or bar mitzvahs?

afcjets

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
Damn :lol: Now that's some comic relief! Something that we sorely need right now, you do birthday parties or bar mitzvahs?

No and I can't take credit for the last one. I got that from former DNC presidential candidate Castro during one of the debates, though I personalized it and made it about Caitlyn since she is the most well known transwoman. The others I got from CNN and other high profile Democrats in Congress.

CaptHadley

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:45 pm

afcjets wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

No and I can't take credit for the last one. I got that from former DNC presidential candidate Castro during one of the debates, though I personalized it and made it about Caitlyn since she is the most well known transwoman. The others I got from CNN and other high profile Democrats in Congress.

So wait, you're saying that there was not one original thought of yours in anything that you just typed? Man, i'm crushed, gutted. Here i was thinking you had a funny bone in you to lighten up this place.

Aesma

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm

All these issues have been caused by Trump, it's the backlash. That happens when you govern only to undo what your predecessor did, even the good with which you would have agreed otherwise.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Braybuddy

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:42 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Its no coincidence that countries seem to aim for covid to peak at hospital capacity. It's no coincidence that pandemic plans all over the world, sans USA, where activated in January.

GIven that your own country only got around to closing its borders just over two weeks ago and the rest of Europe acted in an disorganised way, I don't think we Europeans can affort to throw stones at anyone.

And the fact that you post a link to an article by Joe Biden speaks volumes about the real reason for your post.

tommy1808

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:17 am

afcjets wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

The president had plenty of time to go golfing to funnel more tax payers money into his own pockets and advance all other policies he has. So, that is the lamest excuse ever.
If he cant multitask, he ain't fit for office, if his admin can't, the whole admin is unfit.

Best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:20 am

Braybuddy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

GIven that your own country only got around to closing its borders just over two weeks ago and the rest of Europe acted in an disorganised way, I don't think we Europeans can affort to throw stones at anyone.

Border closings are useless feel good moves

And the fact that you post a link to an article by Joe Biden speaks volumes about the real reason for your post.

Blabla.... you wanted proof it was utterly predictable, I delivered it. But I should have known I need to dig up one of the very, very few Republicans calling that out to prevent being accused of bias.

Best regards
Thomas

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

The president had plenty of time to go golfing to funnel more tax payers money into his own pockets and advance all other policies he has. So, that is the lamest excuse ever.
If he cant multitask, he ain't fit for office, if his admin can't, the whole admin is unfit.

Trump nor his administration were involved in any of those items I mentioned, including his own impeachment.

zkojq

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Would be interesting to know how many rounds of Golf that Trump has played between that Biden Letter and this week (when he actually started taking this seriously).

One thing I love about Donald is the way he "unmans" his loyal supporters all the time by forcing them to defend contradictory and otherwise indefensible actions. Here is the perfect example where he spent months minimising the dangers of the virus, saying the us cases will go down before they go up etc they all agree, parrot him loudly then he turns around and says the opposite (200k deaths is good outcome) and his supporters are then forced into mental gymnastics to square the circle whilst pretending that he's a genius. :lol:

It's beautiful, really.
First to fly the 787-9

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:09 pm

zkojq wrote:
Would be interesting to know how many rounds of Golf that Trump has played between that Biden Letter and this week (when he actually started taking this seriously).

One thing I love about Donald is the way he "unmans" his loyal supporters all the time by forcing them to defend contradictory and otherwise indefensible actions. Here is the perfect example where he spent months minimising the dangers of the virus, saying the us cases will go down before they go up etc they all agree, parrot him loudly then he turns around and says the opposite (200k deaths is good outcome) and his supporters are then forced into mental gymnastics to square the circle whilst pretending that he's a genius. :lol:

It's beautiful, really.

Biden is the one who didn't take it seriously. When Donald implemented the Chinese travel ban, Joe criticized him for it and said he would govern based on facts not xenophobia, so you can imagine how much worse it would be if Joe were President.

Also, Joe's letter is a joke and insults the intelligence of American voters. Joe compares this to Ebola and how the Obama/Biden administration did a great job. This is nothing like the Ebola situation. Ebola killed it's host quickly and was easy to track and contain whereas we are told the majority of people who carry and transmit this have no idea they have symptoms and those who do might go 14 days before exhibiting any symptoms. Also, with Ebola the affected nations gladly welcomed help from our CDC and let them in whereas China tried to cover it up and refused to let our CDC help investigate and wouldn't let them in.

zkojq

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:23 pm

afcjets wrote:
Joe compares this to Ebola and how the Obama/Biden administration did a great job. This is nothing like the Ebola situation.

Well yeah, it doesn't account for Ebola not being a deep state plot brought about to make the President look bad, does it? :scratchchin:
First to fly the 787-9

afcjets

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:37 pm

zkojq wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Joe compares this to Ebola and how the Obama/Biden administration did a great job. This is nothing like the Ebola situation.

Well yeah, it doesn't account for Ebola not being a deep state plot brought about to make the President look bad, does it? :scratchchin:

No one is making that strawman argument here but you ;)

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:16 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Border closings are useless feel good moves

So you're admitting that Europe is adopting "useless" measures?

tommy1808 wrote:
Blabla.... you wanted proof it was utterly predictable, I delivered it. But I should have known I need to dig up one of the very, very few Republicans calling that out to prevent being accused of bias.

I'm more interested in why you single out the USA and didn't mention Brazil, Russia or Belarus -- all of whose responses to coronavirus has been completely irresponsible and contrary to WHO advice. But then don't let your personal obsession and bias get in the way of balance. As you said earlier:

tommy1808 wrote:
t's no coincidence that pandemic plans all over the world, sans USA, where activated in January.

:roll: