Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Did your country get better or worse in the last decade?

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Just curious what people from different countries think about whether their country got better or worse in the last 10 years.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

noviorbis77

Re: Did your country get better or worse in the last decade?

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:10 pm

Better.

Economy is stronger, lower rates of unemployment and we are leaving the EU.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:17 pm

California is a mixed bag - strong economy and population, but infrastructure and housing are markedly worse. Oh, you said countries :duck:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Worse. Sure the Stock Market is up and there are jobs but bills for us who hold those jobs are piling up. We can not invest, we can not afford health care, and we can not afford to live.

But stocks are up! Yay!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Dutchy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Ten years ago we were in the mids of the financial crisis. Financially we are in better shape.

noviorbis77 wrote:
Better.

Economy is stronger, lower rates of unemployment and we are leaving the EU.

:roll:
Last edited by Dutchy on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

LJ

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:58 pm

My country (The Netherlands) got a lot better though not everybody realises it. One drawback (and which got much worse this decade) is that Amsterdam is flooded with tourists. It's really bad when even non residents of Amsterdam (like myself) are becoming to avoid the city center due to the tourists.

Redd

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Poland still had the post-Soviet-Bloc feel when I moved here from Canada almost 11 years ago. When I visit Canada now, Poland seems to me to be way ahead in terms of quality of life on an equivalent level income, with so much more to offer culturally, geographically and business-wise. Although I do still fear the current Polish government could muck that all up, although things haven't gotten as bad as most of the opposition had feared, still bad though.

I consider myself more of a resident of the EU rather than Poland though, the EU is a wonderful thing. Weekends in Rome, Paris or Lisbon. Skiing in the Austrian/French/Italian Alps..... almost paradise. :cloudnine:
Last edited by Redd on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
Worse. Sure the Stock Market is up and there are jobs but bills for us who hold those jobs are piling up. We can not invest, we can not afford health care, and we can not afford to live.

But stocks are up! Yay!

Ok, with that charge, please help us understand your situation—education, work area and experience. Does your employer offer health insurance, 401k plan? Without details, it’s just political noise.

flipdewaf

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Economy is stronger
by what measure (s)?
noviorbis77 wrote:
, lower rates of unemployment
what about the rates of employment?
noviorbis77 wrote:
, and we are leaving the EU.
why’s that a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3BNBE

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:29 pm

Mauritius got better within those 10 years: lower unemployment, lower poverty rate, median income rising and diversification of the economy. The small African island will also soon become a high income economy and is taking steps for more income equality (free education till tertiary, higher pensions for the elderly and disabled, a minimum wage). However, the country is still very vulnerable to global conditions (Brexit, foreign currency fluctuations, trade wars) but has maintained a growth rate of 3.6% in 2019 for its economy with a low inflation rate of about 1%. Ongoing problems remain drug, a loss-making and heavily subsidised sugar industry and road congestion(more than 500,000 vehicles and +25,000 yearly for 1.2 million people), though a new tram system is being introduced across towns. The public debt also amounts to about 66% of the GDP though major investments have been carried out across the country.

LabQuest

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:56 pm

The USA has gotten better in the last decade.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm

3BNBE wrote:
Mauritius got better within those 10 years: lower unemployment, lower poverty rate, median income rising and diversification of the economy. The small African island will also soon become a high income economy and is taking steps for more income equality (free education till tertiary, higher pensions for the elderly and disabled, a minimum wage). However, the country is still very vulnerable to global conditions (Brexit, foreign currency fluctuations, trade wars) but has maintained a growth rate of 3.6% in 2019 for its economy with a low inflation rate of about 1%. Ongoing problems remain drug, a loss-making and heavily subsidised sugar industry and road congestion(more than 500,000 vehicles and +25,000 yearly for 1.2 million people), though a new tram system is being introduced across towns. The public debt also amounts to about 66% of the GDP though major investments have been carried out across the country.

interesting, good to hear Mauritius is moving up and trying to do it in a fair way.

BN747

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:45 pm

My country has a inept, incompetent child who is 72yo sitting down about to play 'Army' with real live men & women...
He doesn't like seeing/hearing bad news, he doesn't like being questioned or challenged and has ZERO understanding of the military and too recalcitrant to be taught anything - in other words, the perfect candidate to lead the world's greatest military.

..and too many Americans are sitting back and watching...as if that is normal let alone acceptable.

That and the mess he's created diplomatically world wide is enough damage to eclipse any and everything for the past decade.
So people are happy to have a job and earning...and nothing else is important, just keeping their bellies full is all that matters - long term implications, don't matter.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:34 pm

Unless you live in Venezuela, then just about every other country is universally better off now than it was 10 years ago. The last decade has been miraculously good for mankind.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:24 am

I will say that whole northern Europe today is much better of compared 10 years ago.

Spain where I live part time finally start to get some activities going again.

While every country except venezuela is better off people do not seem to feel that way and are angry. Why I do not understand.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:52 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
Unless you live in Venezuela, then just about every other country is universally better off now than it was 10 years ago. The last decade has been miraculously good for mankind.

Not exactly, some developed countries are struggling. My friends in Japan have less disposable income than 10 years ago - taxes and prices are up, middle class incomes are flat, and many companies have shifted from the ‘lifetime’ employment system to temporary contracts, eliminating once customary summer/winter bonuses for salaried workers. There is a general worsening of working conditions - in 2019 several courts found companies were cheating on payroll and were ordered to pay back overtime owed. Areas outside of the six largest cities are generally in decline with more folks on welfare than before. Most analysts agree the only thing keeping Japan out of deep recession is a surge in tourism from other Asian countries, especially China.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:02 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Not exactly, some developed countries are struggling. My friends in Japan have less disposable income than 10 years ago - taxes and prices are up, middle class incomes are flat, and many companies have shifted from the ‘lifetime’ employment system to temporary contracts, eliminating once customary summer/winter bonuses for salaried workers. There is a general worsening of working conditions - in 2019 several courts found companies were cheating on payroll and were ordered to pay back overtime owed. Areas outside of the six largest cities are generally in decline with more folks on welfare than before. Most analysts agree the only thing keeping Japan out of deep recession is a surge in tourism from other Asian countries, especially China.

Wow, with such affinity for Japan (lived there twice), it is painful and hard to hear this is where this great country stands today.

And I'm sure there are at least 20 countries or more that are in horrible conditions beyond Venezuela.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Aaron747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:16 am

BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Wow, with such affinity for Japan (lived there twice), it is painful and hard to hear this is where this great country stands today.

And I'm sure there are at least 20 countries or more that are in horrible conditions beyond Venezuela.

BN747

Its their own fault - they have allowed one political party to dominate for decades with deep corporate alliances and inept leadership. These results were inevitable.

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:36 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

BN747

Its their own fault - they have allowed one political party to dominate for decades with deep corporate alliances and inept leadership. These results were inevitable.

Sounds familiar, at least they aren't the types to whip up a scapegoat to blame..I mean just as any suffering nation, that setting is one where it is pretty easy to rile up the natives and declare 'an enemy'.

...like we do.

Nonetheless, still troubling to hear.

BN747

hashtagconfused

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:11 pm

seb146 wrote:

But stocks are up! Yay!

i am one of those job holders and my bills are not piling up, i can invest some, can afford health care (though it is too expensive) and can afford to live.

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:48 pm

hashtagconfused wrote:
seb146 wrote:

But stocks are up! Yay!

i am one of those job holders and my bills are not piling up, i can invest some, can afford health care (though it is too expensive) and can afford to live.

No slam on you and glad you are comfortable... but the 'I can afford to live.' mentality is a dangerous precedent to become the norm. Because it's antithetical position reads as 'too bad, but if you can't afford to live..to bad for you'.

We are kind of already there with people suffering from our pathetic health care system compared to lesser nations.

But if we adopt an official 'you simply cannot afford to live' stance..we've joined the group of nations were walking past injured persons or starving people (I know some exist in private) even dying people..then the demise of 'civilization' is assured.

BN747

Dutchy

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm

BN747 wrote:
We are kind of already there with people suffering from our pathetic health care system compared to lesser nations.

Lesser nations? The US is hardly ranked with the top nations on any lists, except defense spending and the number of incarcerated.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm

It got better for the first part of the decade.

But 2018 was the start of its downfall when the people elected a despot back into power. Now the economy is not moving, racial tensions are high, the ministers are incredibly incompetent, and the future bleak.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:

Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and Libya got worse over the past decade.

hashtagconfused

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 pm

BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:
seb146 wrote:

But stocks are up! Yay!

No slam on you and glad you are comfortable... but the 'I can afford to live.' mentality is a dangerous precedent to become the norm. Because it's antithetical position reads as 'too bad, but if you can't afford to live..to bad for you'.

BN747

that wasnt what i was saying at all. the previous post noted that "bills for (those) who hold those jobs are piling up". i was simply pointing out that was not accurate.

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:47 pm

hashtagconfused wrote:
BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:

BN747

that wasnt what i was saying at all. the previous post noted that "bills for (those) who hold those jobs are piling up". i was simply pointing out that was not accurate.

What do you mean that is not accurate???

The greatest example EVER!!!... demonstrating exactly that is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJnznzkSf4

That video is a recording of live testimony on the income gap. It features freshman Congreewoman Katie Porter (D-CA) completely emasculates and neuters Chase Morgan Ceo Jaime Dimon by reading a list of an employed mother's monthly expenses vs her take home pay..it resulted with the working mother falling in debt by $600 each month.

The mother was/is an employee of Jaime Dimomd's Chase Morgan.

It is rare, very rare to actually see someone of his calibre, Ivy Leaguer, someone as far away from comprehending a working person's life it's scary ...capitulated and nearly decapitated in a public forum of this kind.

That example clearly shows that this country is exactly as Seb described it vs your opinion that it does not.

BN747

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Lesser nations? The US is hardly ranked with the top nations on any lists, except defense spending and the number of incarcerated.

Must you insist on confirming such low grade ignorance.

In a national disaster such as a tsunami or earthquake where lives hang by seconds..who do you think that nation will look to for lightning quick assistance?
Where did it start?

That capability (the means) and mind of disaster mission relief on such scale, America set that standard, leading regional assistance support alliances everywhere...and even with that in mind, if you find your nation in distress - we all know who you want to come to the rescue. YOU personally may refuse it because it's American..but MOST if not all your country men would leave you behind.

Feel free to list who is better at reaching any place on earth with relief support? Who?

That's Humanity category, Financial?
No economy is stronger...period. Your country tanks, we may sniffle. America tanks and world starts circling the drain.

Please provide the Top 20 List, you boast of in which there no US presence.

BN747

hashtagconfused

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:04 pm

BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

That video is a recording of live testimony on the income gap. It features freshman Congreewoman Katie Porter (D-CA) completely emasculates and neuters Chase Morgan Ceo Jaime Dimon by reading a list of an employed mother's monthly expenses vs her take home pay..it resulted with the working mother falling in debt by $600 each month.

It is rare, very rare to actually see someone of his calibre, Ivy Leaguer, someone as far away from comprehending a working person's life it's scary ...capitulated and nearly decapitated in a public forum of this kind.

That example clearly shows that this country is exactly as Seb described it vs your opinion that it does not.

BN747

his comment was that those that hold jobs have bills piling up. that is simply not true. it may be true for some but it is not true for all as demonstrated by my personal example. just because you have examples that support what he said it does not mean there are not examples of it not happening. there are plenty of people that work and can pay their bills, afford health care, and afford to live. that doesnt mean there are people that can not keep up it only means that it is not always true.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:17 pm

BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

BN747

First, the TV network of frothing mouth left wingers features Chief Frother O’Donnell commenting on an idiot California freshman representative trying to make a name.

Second, it’s a hypothetical, not a real person.

Third, it’s a entry job implying ENTRY level knowledge, skills and ability for which we shouldn’t expect high salary. One doesn’t start work at the top pay. The example is like comparing newly minted commercial pilot salary with the expenses of a captain. Sorry, but pat is based on skills and the ability to make a profit on those skills for the employer, not expenses incurred.

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:

BN747

First, the TV network of frothing mouth left wingers features Chief Frother O’Donnell commenting on an idiot California freshman representative trying to make a name.

Anyone looking seeing this video, then seeing Katie Porter speak, then reading your above comment will clear up any 'questions' regarding your sanity.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Second, it’s a hypothetical, not a real person.

Turn on the sound, she tells you how she found that 'person'...who your cerebral synapses tells you is not real.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Third, it’s a entry job implying ENTRY level knowledge, skills and ability for which we shouldn’t expect high salary. One doesn’t start work at the top pay. The example is like comparing newly minted commercial pilot salary with the expenses of a captain. Sorry, but pat is based on skills and the ability to make a profit on those skills for the employer, not expenses incurred.

..and I bet you really believe white Americans will go into the California farm belt do all that back breaking work that the illegals do (so you can feed your belly)..if they are motivated.

Your formula/example explanation is useless in the real world, not exampled by the above truth..but by the actual truth of what companies actually do, such as hiding funds for slush pools, short-cutting on cost, on product, the extremes they will pursue to save money and skirt regulations (at our safety) just for starters.

Corporations are not as clean cut and functional as you 'act' like they are, they are not, they are far from that simplistic thought. Most of them are criminal operations with government protections depending on the commodity and where they are allowed operate. Humans are flawed and flawed Humans run these companies.

Your companies 1st over human perseverance/survival speaks directly into the core values of the greedy. There's no law against it..just avoid becoming a victim.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:43 pm

BN747 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Auch, did I hit a nerve? The US isn't at the absolute top, especially on social and institution issue's, thst is a fact. You made it sound the US is the absolute top, which it just isn't, no need to feel offended or become defensive about.

As you know, the US is an oligarchy, not a democracy, and that makes it hard to change the policy to invest in social projects or other projects of national interest.

BN747

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

'
Auch, did I hit a nerve? The US isn't at the absolute top, especially on social and institution issue's, thst is a fact. You made it sound the US is the absolute top, which it just isn't, no need to feel offended or become defensive about.

As you know, the US is an oligarchy, not a democracy, and that makes it hard to change the policy to invest in social projects or other projects of national interest.

First of all.."The US isn't at the absolute top, especially on social and institution issue's,' is ridiculous to even state, why?
Social and institution issue's vary in cities, states, provinces of every country...no one can be.

My example addresses the end of all concerns, when lives are suddenly root up and turned upside down..and act that requires Herculean response.

Well that standard the whole damn planet is.

A small Wealthy circle controls EVERYTHING...in the form of corporate & individual conglomerates, who is out of reach, you?

BN747

ParkFSI

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 pm

My wife and I can not complain from 2012 to the present, things are good ( Texas, USA ). But in 2010 I was a corporate pilot and had been flying for a paycheck for 26 years when I lost the medical due to having to use insulin, then three months later my wife was assaulted at her work place and the person that she was assaulted by had friends in high places and they got away with it and my wife lost her job.
So their we where 48 and 50 years old, me drawing unemployment and and doing odd jobs, my wife going through rehab and we where sinking fast. Two years later by the grace of god I got a job with a aviation training facility a few months after that the wife found part time work. The house was paid for five years ago (almost lost it ) and we are driving 12+ year old vehicles. We can afford newer stuff but we will forever be shell shocked because of that experience. I tell the young pilots, have a plan B, I didn’t because I thought I would fly until retirement.
Those of you having a stuff time now I hope things get better and I now have a heavy heart for those that can and want to work but are unemployed, but 3.5 % unemployment in the US is awesome.
Thanks for letting me cry in my beer.
Thread killer

BN747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 am

ParkFSI wrote:
My wife and I can not complain from 2012 to the present, things are good ( Texas, USA ). But in 2010 I was a corporate pilot and had been flying for a paycheck for 26 years when I lost the medical due to having to use insulin, then three months later my wife was assaulted at her work place and the person that she was assaulted by had friends in high places and they got away with it and my wife lost her job.
So their we where 48 and 50 years old, me drawing unemployment and and doing odd jobs, my wife going through rehab and we where sinking fast. Two years later by the grace of god I got a job with a aviation training facility a few months after that the wife found part time work. The house was paid for five years ago (almost lost it ) and we are driving 12+ year old vehicles. We can afford newer stuff but we will forever be shell shocked because of that experience. I tell the young pilots, have a plan B, I didn’t because I thought I would fly until retirement.
Those of you having a stuff time now I hope things get better and I now have a heavy heart for those that can and want to work but are unemployed, but 3.5 % unemployment in the US is awesome.

In other words, most people will at some point 'need help/assistance'...the difference is some get it but many do/will not.

Glad it all worked out for you.

BN747

mrgrtt123

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:04 am

It's in between, all I know is that people learn to use their voice to reach out to the government system.
I can say that there's improvement in some areas but the problem still exists.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:27 am

BN747,

Once I saw O’Donell, Porter and MSNBC, I admit I tubedcas being more fake political news as peddled by both sides.

FreequentFlier

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:30 am

Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

We hear the US is an oligarchy ALL THE TIME and yet 2 billionaires - Tom Steyer and Mike Bloomberg - are trying to buy the Presidency by spending hundreds of millions of ads and they’re polling at a COMBINED 5% in the Primary. In the general election, they’d have even less of a chance.

Trump, whether you like him or not, won because he was (correctly) perceived as someone who was disdained by elites. The GOP had its own billionaire’s favorite candidate - Jeb Bush - and he got completely destroyed in the 2016 primary.

People aren’t as stupid as you seem to think they are Dutchy.

ParkFSI

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:44 am

BN747 wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:

In other words, most people will at some point 'need help/assistance'...the difference is some get it but many do/will not.

Glad it all worked out for you.

BN747

Sorry for getting a bit OT but yes, I think my country is better because 9.5 years ago a 48 year old man had a stuff time finding even a low paying job they where hiring younger people. The response a got most of the time I was overqualified. From what I hear on the street that situation has improved in central Texas.
Thread killer

Dutchy

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:

We hear the US is an oligarchy ALL THE TIME and yet 2 billionaires - Tom Steyer and Mike Bloomberg - are trying to buy the Presidency by spending hundreds of millions of ads and they’re polling at a COMBINED 5% in the Primary. In the general election, they’d have even less of a chance.

Trump, whether you like him or not, won because he was (correctly) perceived as someone who was disdained by elites. The GOP had its own billionaire’s favorite candidate - Jeb Bush - and he got completely destroyed in the 2016 primary.

Not the point, the point is that it doesn't matter who you vote for, the rich will benefit regardless of who is in 'power'. Trump lowered the taxes for the rich, so again this the group benefiting not main street. BTW you disagree with Princeton University Prof Martin Gilens and Northwestern University Prof Benjamin I Page. Tell me why are they wrong?

ienjoylemons

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 am

Redd wrote:
Poland still had the post-Soviet-Bloc feel when I moved here from Canada almost 11 years ago. When I visit Canada now, Poland seems to me to be way ahead in terms of quality of life on an equivalent level income, with so much more to offer culturally, geographically and business-wise. Although I do still fear the current Polish government could muck that all up, although things haven't gotten as bad as most of the opposition had feared, still bad though.

I consider myself more of a resident of the EU rather than Poland though, the EU is a wonderful thing. Weekends in Rome, Paris or Lisbon. Skiing in the Austrian/French/Italian Alps..... almost paradise. :cloudnine:

Any lesser known tips for someone moving there soon?

BN747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:43 am

Dutchy wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not the point, the point is that it doesn't matter who you vote for, the rich will benefit regardless of who is in 'power'. Trump lowered the taxes for the rich, so again this the group benefiting not main street. BTW you disagree with Princeton University Prof Martin Gilens and Northwestern University Prof Benjamin I Page. Tell me why are they wrong?

That is totally incorrect.

In any community, if jewish community centers/synagogues are attacked and a candidate who supports it - wins. Then the practice is allowed to persist.
Same goes for need of hospitals, schools, etc. So on the level of everyday life, voting impacts everything.

Now zoom out..and you have greater and more powerful impacts from whom you have minimal direct effect via voting - this is where the battles for control 'political positions' are pitted between lobbyist, the wealthy and the corporations take place.

Our Congress can chose to act on behalf the people were it not for their own self-interrest...but most are NOT and therefore are for sale to the highest bidder and from that point the most powerful own them/you.

So saying this as reckless as you do is very disingenuous.

If you want to equate voting impact on getting your street repaired or school lunches as the same as your voting impact on America's relations with Venezuela...that is a grave misunderstanding on your part in understanding political power.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DfwRevolution

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Iraq is way better today than it was 10 years ago. I’ll grant Syria and Yemen. Libya is a toss up. That we’re discussing the absolute fringes of the civilized world speaks volumes for how good the decade was everywhere else.

For the dude that said 20 other countries got worse, let’s see you name them.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

BN747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:11 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Iraq is way better today than it was 10 years ago. I’ll grant Syria and Yemen. Libya is a toss up. That we’re discussing the absolute fringes of the civilized world speaks volumes for how good the decade was everywhere else.

I guess I'm 'that gay', you asked for it...here it is,
https://www.ranker.com/list/world-pover ... info-lists

Now of these, no Venezuela in sight...
1 - Afghanistan
2 - Angola
3 - Bangladesh
4 - Benin
5 - Bhutan
6 - Burkina Faso
7 - Burundi
8 - Cambodia
9 - Cape Verde
10 - Central African Republic
11 - Chad
12 - Comoros
13 - Democratic Republic of the Congo ...
14 - Djibouti
15 - Equatorial Guinea
16 - Eritrea
17 - Ethiopia
18 - Gambia
19 - Guinea
20 - Guinea-Bissau

...me personally, I'd take Venezuela over all of them except Cambodia, Ethiopia, Comoros and Cape Verde.

BN747

seb146

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:03 am

hashtagconfused wrote:
BN747 wrote:
hashtagconfused wrote:

BN747

YOUR bills are not piling up. How does that mean the entire country is doing well? The Stock Market is up. How does that mean the entire country is doing well? Please explain how your own personal financial situation means the entire country, including the homeless vets, seniors, children, etc. is doing well? Yes, I am also including those who are "doing what they are supposed to be doing" which means getting an education in a field like tech or math or chemistry. Please enlighten us.

seb146

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:06 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Iraq under Saddam, women had education, everyone had religious freedom, but how is now better under Islamic rule?

Dutchy

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:12 am

BN747 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
FreequentFlier wrote:

That is totally incorrect.

So, tell me why are Princeton University Prof Martin Gilens and Northwestern University Prof Benjamin I Page wrong? If Sanders was chosen and his program was adopted, then yes, I would agree. What we have seen instead is measures adopted: rich get another tax break (triple down economics is shown not to work, but is nice for the rich though) and healthcare deteriorated yet again under Trump. Your system of democracy is broken because politicians depend on money to get re-elected. I think that that is a shame because America can be a lot better then it is. Don't believe in the neocon narratives, that's all it takes.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

I demonstrated with several details how Japan is worse off....not exactly the fringe of the civilized world.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 am

FreequentFlier wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
BN747 wrote:

That missed the point completely - his context was ability to steer policy. POTUSes since at least Reagan have very little ability to really steer major policy change in any arena other than foreign policy without acquiescence to the whims of Congress. In that sense who or what becomes POTUS is largely irrelevant - immigration and trade, as just one example, are two hot-button issues largely unresolved for three decades due to corporate lobbying and prioritization of their interests in the issue over that of John Q Public. This reality is not up for debate.

Redd

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am

ienjoylemons wrote:
Redd wrote:

Any lesser known tips for someone moving there soon?

Plenty, :D . A few questions though, do you have an EU passport? Do you have a job lined up? How old are you?

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Let see...not necessarily "my" countries (That would be US, which is being discuss quite extensively already).

For PRC, it's a mix bag. People are definitely richer, infrastructure is ever improving (i.e. HSR network or airports). For somebody in Xinjiang life is 1000x (if not more) worse with the ever increasing crackdown, and in general, human rights is moving way backward ever since Emperor Xi came into power.
For HK, definitely worse. Quality of life is only decreasing with the wealth gap growing even more, the housing price getting even more insane, the promised freedoms is ever reducing. Problems like parallel trading remained unsolved along with excessive tourism (not counting the current decrease due to the protest, of course). The gov't is getting more and more inept, to the point that the first CE (Tung Chee-Wah) looks 100% sane.
Across the strait in Taiwan, the whole country is still stagnating, not too different from Japan. Economy is going nowhere, and with PRC throwing lots of money around, they are also losing diplomatic relations left and right.

Waiting for somebody to talk about India in this thread...