Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808

Re: Head Iran Gen Killed In Air Strike by US

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Redd wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Agreed. They were given every opportunity to play nice. Their recent stunts are what brought this upon them.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good thing you've got the Saudis on your side.....

:checkmark:
If there was anything consistent about US foreign policy Saudi Arabia would be a nice flat plate of glas, and would probably just about now stop glowing...

best regards
Thomas

flyingturtle

Re: Head Iran Gen Killed In Air Strike

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:14 pm

The 2003 invasion of Iraq crucially improved Iran's position in the world. And Iran's forces are present in Syria, in the Lebanon, in Iraq - sometimes with the tacit, sometimes with the implicit approval of the respective governments. Iran's leaders need safety guarantees, and they could develop one with their military "diplomacy."

The US generals would do exactly the same if they were in different shoes.

NoTime

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:16 pm

Just thought I'd stop by to see the usual suspects coming out in defense of a terrorist regime. You guys never disappoint...

Iran killed or maimed thousands of Americans over the last few decades - once you add up the Beirut bombing, the Khobar Towers, all of the deaths in Iraq due to the EFP bombs, etc. In fact, they killed an American just a few days ago, and then attacked a US embassy. This guy and his cronies are also responsible for killing Iraqis, Syrians, Israelis and even Iranians.

It's certainly smart to be concerned and prepared for an Iranian response. But, that doesn't change the fact that one of the worst murderers on earth was just eliminated.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm

NoTime wrote:
Just thought I'd stop by to see the usual suspects coming out in defense of a terrorist regime. You guys never disappoint...

Hello Straw man. Murdering a murderer is still murder and calling that murder isn´t defending the other murderer.

Iran killed or maimed thousands of Americans over the last few decades - once you add up the Beirut bombing, the Khobar Towers, all of the deaths in Iraq due to the EFP bombs, etc

Was that before or after you overthrew their government? Twice. You sound a lot like a schoolyard bully that complains over push back from his victim. The Iranian Regime is of your making, you don´t get to complain about being unable to control it.

best regards
Thomas

maint123

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm

Wow. The Americans have been trying since the 70s to get into a direct war with the Iranians and seem to have now succeeded partially.
This dumb action has made every western tourist unsafe throughout the world as the retaliators will not distinguish between the western countries.
Iranians are a smart bunch, that's the reason they withstood a American backed Iraq regime during the war and the decades of sanctions. They won't retaliate directly.
For the Americans, they will have to hunker down in their bases , like they do in Afghanistan.
While I guess the Iranians will disregard all treaties now and go full speed towards building a nuke.
Interesting days ahead.
I just topped up the petrol in both my cars.

VSMUT

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 pm

NoTime wrote:

Iran killed or maimed thousands of Americans over the last few decades - once you add up the Beirut bombing, the Khobar Towers, all of the deaths in Iraq due to the EFP bombs, etc. In fact, they killed an American just a few days ago, and then attacked a US embassy. This guy and his cronies are also responsible for killing Iraqis, Syrians, Israelis and even Iranians.

Hmmm, how does that fit with this then?

extender wrote:
He wasn't attacked on Iranian soil. Iran has American blood on its hands for a variety of incidents. They want to be a player on the mideast stage, play with the big dogs, you're going to get bit.

Surely if the US wants to be a player on the mideast stage, play with the big dogs, they are going to get bit? :scratchchin:

Thunderbolt500

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:21 pm

marcelh wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Semantics. There are a lot of ways to “eliminate” someone. By using the big toys, you want to escalate and we all know Trump wants to frame Iran as the number 1 enemy. It’s almost election time...

I'm pretty sure this had everything to do with Iran's recent stunts. A warning to cut it out. Trump is someone that likes matters resolved quickly. A drawn out war with American troop casualties wouldn't be his style. Should there be anymore trouble out of them I'm guessing a package will arrive via overnight air to the people of Iran

Everything to make Iran the number 1 enemy. And they are only considered as enemy because they threaten “US interests”. It’s ironic to understand that the 9/11 attackers - who are responsible for the execution of the biggest terrorist attack in the USA - all came from countries which are US allies.

This might be a big mistake by the us

dmg626

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm

NoTime wrote:

It's certainly smart to be concerned and prepared for an Iranian response. But, that doesn't change the fact that one of the worst murderers on earth was just eliminated.

Agreed, in their twisted minds the US is always the bad guy, supporters of terrorism need to be appeased, maybe even try and give them money to change their ways.

Aesma

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:38 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Agreed, in their twisted minds the US is always the bad guy, supporters of terrorism need to be appeased, maybe even try and give them money to change their ways.

What is the difference between what you call terrorism, and what the US just did ?

slider

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:42 pm

maint123 wrote:
Wow. The Americans have been trying since the 70s to get into a direct war with the Iranians and seem to have now succeeded partially.
This dumb action has made every western tourist unsafe throughout the world as the retaliators will not distinguish between the western countries.
Iranians are a smart bunch, that's the reason they withstood a American backed Iraq regime during the war and the decades of sanctions. They won't retaliate directly.
For the Americans, they will have to hunker down in their bases , like they do in Afghanistan.
While I guess the Iranians will disregard all treaties now and go full speed towards building a nuke.
Interesting days ahead.
I just topped up the petrol in both my cars.

Iran won't go to nor do they want a hot war...they can't afford to lose their oil revenue.

They'll do what they always have done--fund terror, use proxies and surrogates to conduct acts of terror and such. Same as it ever was. But there's one fewer head cheerleader to do it this morning and the world is a better place for it.

Capitulating to Islam has never worked in the history of mankind. Never. Not once. Ever. Since 632 A.D.

marcelh

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Thunderbolt500 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm pretty sure this had everything to do with Iran's recent stunts. A warning to cut it out. Trump is someone that likes matters resolved quickly. A drawn out war with American troop casualties wouldn't be his style. Should there be anymore trouble out of them I'm guessing a package will arrive via overnight air to the people of Iran

Everything to make Iran the number 1 enemy. And they are only considered as enemy because they threaten “US interests”. It’s ironic to understand that the 9/11 attackers - who are responsible for the execution of the biggest terrorist attack in the USA - all came from countries which are US allies.

This might be a big mistake by the us

The US has made a lot of decisions regarding the Middle East which had only one purpose: "Protect US interests now and don't care for the future."
It has pissed of a lot of people (recently the Kurds in northern Syria), and because of that people despise the US and everything with it.

ParkFSI

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm

NoTime wrote:

You’re correct, I don’t know where these people come from on this forum but I have a feeling I have pairs of socks older than most.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:28 pm

ParkFSI wrote:
NoTime wrote:

You’re correct, I don’t know where these people come from on this forum but I have a feeling I have pairs of socks older than most.

Oh are you doing outreach for the KSA royals too?

ltbewr

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Will Iran back a terror attack on the USA ala 9/11 ? Could we see a massive cyber-terrorism attack on our computers and the Internet ? Will the USA perhaps with Israel bomb in Iran their nuclear enrichment facilities ? This could get very ugly, very fast.
For sure I don't trust Trump or his insiders to do the right thing. He needed someone to attack to show his 'manhood', to keep his anti-Islamic voter base happy, silence 'liberal' critics, distract from the Impeachment ('wag the dog'), jack up oil prices that benefit the oil production countries including Saudi Arabia and Russia, big oil companies while hurting China and consumers of oil all around the world.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:57 pm

slider wrote:
Capitulating to Islam has never worked in the history of mankind. Never. Not once. Ever. Since 632 A.D.

Actually it worked pretty well until about 1250, when fundamentalism took over.

And what's the BS about "capitulating to Islam"? You have over 3 million fellow muslim US citizens around you...... and they can all buy as many guns as they like.

Best regards
Thomas

Mortyman

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:11 pm

The liquidation up of the Iranian general was illegal, according to UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial executions, Agnes Callamard.

Agnes Callamard

@AgnesCallamard

#Pentagon statement on targeted killing of #suleimani: 1. It mentions that it aimed at “deterring future Iranian attack plans”. This however is very vague. Future is not the same as imminent which is the time based test required under international law. (1)

MaverickM11

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 pm

slider wrote:
To read outright terrorist sympathizers herewith merely because they disagree with Trump's politics is loathesome, despicable, and cringe-inducing. You ghouls should be ashamed, but you won't because of terminal TDS.

Don't want one of your terrorist goons to be squeegeed off the airport tarmac? Don't send your lackeys to try to take down a US Embassy. The memories of Nov 4, 1979 may be distant or non-existent for some, but many remember that horror and we sure aren't letting it happen again. Yet the left is cheering for war, almost wishing for American bloodshed to justify their partisan position.

One other question--what was this fucker doing in Baghdad anyway? I'm sure it was community outreach. Maybe community organizing, perhaps?

Projecting again, dear? Trump literally couldn't tell the Quds from the Kurds, who he thought were "horribly mistreated" until he later horribly mistreated them himself, so you'll have to forgive anyone for thinking he has the faintest clue what happens next. But don't worry he found time to whine about Hugh Hewitt being MEAN to him by asking about the Quds forces. And given the US' involvement in Iran--you know, *before* your memories of 1979--there's no reason to be optimistic.

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

And what's the BS about "capitulating to Islam"? You have over 3 million fellow muslim US citizens around you...... and they can all buy as many guns as they like.

Best regards
Thomas

Capitulating to moose lambs makes slider sad! Unless it's capitulating to Saudis in which case carry on--we'll even help bury the bodies!
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1989worstyear

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:17 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Will Iran back a terror attack on the USA ala 9/11 ? Could we see a massive cyber-terrorism attack on our computers and the Internet ? Will the USA perhaps with Israel bomb in Iran their nuclear enrichment facilities ? This could get very ugly, very fast.
For sure I don't trust Trump or his insiders to do the right thing. He needed someone to attack to show his 'manhood', to keep his anti-Islamic voter base happy, silence 'liberal' critics, distract from the Impeachment ('wag the dog'), jack up oil prices that benefit the oil production countries including Saudi Arabia and Russia, big oil companies while hurting China and consumers of oil all around the world.

Don't forget his hedge fund buddies back in NY. Between the speculation-driven oil gouging and rallying defense stocks they are going to make millions.

In fact, it has already started:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-o ... 2020-01-03

Those of us in the civil aviation sector should be updating our resumès :(
Last edited by 1989worstyear on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:17 pm

The Game of Thrones that the Middle East is continues....yawn. Jacksonian Democrats that voted for Trump, out him over the top in Michigan and Wisconsin will love this act. Iranians orchestrate an attack on our embassy, tweets gets exchanged between Trump and Khamanei, boom there goes his general within a few miles of said embassy. The crowd goes wild.

DfwRevolution

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

What is the difference between what you call terrorism, and what the US just did ?

We killed a military officer who led state-sanctioned acts of warfare against our people. That ain't terrorism, pal.

tommy1808 wrote:
Murdering a murderer is still murder and calling that murder isn´t defending the other murderer.

*** bong rip ***

Aesma

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Aesma

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:40 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
We killed a military officer who led state-sanctioned acts of warfare against our people. That ain't terrorism, pal.

So it's an act of war, we agree then.

Aesma

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:42 pm

ParkFSI wrote:

Many of us live much closer to Iran than you do, and have to live with the consequences of what a country on the other side of the world decides to do.

slider

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:42 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
slider wrote:
To read outright terrorist sympathizers herewith merely because they disagree with Trump's politics is loathesome, despicable, and cringe-inducing. You ghouls should be ashamed, but you won't because of terminal TDS.

Don't want one of your terrorist goons to be squeegeed off the airport tarmac? Don't send your lackeys to try to take down a US Embassy. The memories of Nov 4, 1979 may be distant or non-existent for some, but many remember that horror and we sure aren't letting it happen again. Yet the left is cheering for war, almost wishing for American bloodshed to justify their partisan position.

One other question--what was this fucker doing in Baghdad anyway? I'm sure it was community outreach. Maybe community organizing, perhaps?

Projecting again, dear? Trump literally couldn't tell the Quds from the Kurds, who he thought were "horribly mistreated" until he later horribly mistreated them himself, so you'll have to forgive anyone for thinking he has the faintest clue what happens next. But don't worry he found time to whine about Hugh Hewitt being MEAN to him by asking about the Quds forces. And given the US' involvement in Iran--you know, *before* your memories of 1979--there's no reason to be optimistic.

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Capitulating to moose lambs makes slider sad! Unless it's capitulating to Saudis in which case carry on--we'll even help bury the bodies!

It worked well? You mean up until the point they got to the gates of Vienna before finally being turned back?

DfwRevolution

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Aesma wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Yes. Killing Qasem Soleimani was an act of war and not act of terrorism. President Trump used his lawful authority under the 2001 AUMF to order the strike in retaliation for the recent and imminent actions Qasem Soleimani against the United States. Iran can decide if they want to respond and escalate this conflict at their own peril.

N757ST

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Aesma wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Iran has been committing acts of war for months in the region. Attacking allied shipping interests in the gulf, downing a drone, and sponsoring attacks again US interests and contractors in Iraq. You’re all acting like this was a first move on the chess board, where in reality the two countries have been playing a while, but this was one of the first bigger pieces to be taken off the board.

THS214

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:13 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Game of Thrones that the Middle East is continues....yawn. Jacksonian Democrats that voted for Trump, out him over the top in Michigan and Wisconsin will love this act. Iranians orchestrate an attack on our embassy, tweets gets exchanged between Trump and Khamanei, boom there goes his general within a few miles of said embassy. The crowd goes wild.

Do I read sarcasm in your post?

Unfortunately this attack is like Iran kills US president. No matter your political stance you call for revenge in that case? After this attack anything US related is an accepted target for Iran (and their allies). No matter if its a military or civilian target. And that big attack will come. Otherwise Iran loses its face.

So far I thought that Trump was good in not starting wars and not attacking even when people around him told to attack. Now he made the most terrible attack one can think of... unless he wants a war against Iran and Iraq. Remember that the attack was as much against Iran as Iraq. A can of worms is opened.

And the embassy attack was a retaliation of a US attack.
Last edited by THS214 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Catherine Herridge at CBS reported that senior US government official confirmed the strike was in response to active threat to US interests in the region personally overseen by GEN Suleimani. Official made clear US prepared to take further action if diplomats, soldiers threatened by his replacement.

The other two killed beyond Suleimani was the #2 Hezbollah guy from Lebanon, Naem Qasm. The third killed in the strike was Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, leader of an Iraqi paramilitary group behind the attempted storming of the US embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday. A triad of really odious evil men.

Also, Qais al-Khazali and Hadi al-Ameri have been arrested by US forces; two of Iraq’s most powerful militia heads. This event is huge.

Suleimani’s death is so consequential—as more comes out about this guy, he was overseeing war in Syria, feeding & playing on sectarian hatred, helping to crack down on protestors in Iran (some reports had some documented events from 2009, 2017, and 2019), as well as in Iraq now, and likely more recently helping Hezbollah set up protests in Lebanon. I’m eager to read Kim Ghattas’ forthcoming book Black Wave about him. There are a lot of complex threads that all unfolded after the Iran-Iraq War and her scholarship will be interesting to read.

Also, for those interested in reading more about him, here’s a longform piece from the New Yorker (from 2013) on Suleimani. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013 ... -commander

Everyone should take the time to read this.

Khamenei will think twice before he says “you can’t do anything,” again.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:19 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
Aesma wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

Yes. Killing Qasem Soleimani was an act of war and not act of terrorism. President Trump used his lawful authority under the 2001 AUMF to order the strike in retaliation for the recent and imminent actions Qasem Soleimani against the United States. Iran can decide if they want to respond and escalate this conflict at their own peril.

Even the DoD disagrees with you on that:

In a statement, Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said the department “does not believe 2001 AUMF can be used against Iran.” That position has been affirmed by the Pentagon’s top lawyer, Paul Ney Jr., according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to address internal deliberations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

Wanna spin us another yarn? Iran has zero to do with 9/11, the genesis of the current AUMF...not the case for their regional competitor we are allied with.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:23 pm

slider wrote:
Catherine Herridge at CBS reported that senior US government official confirmed the strike was in response to active threat to US interests in the region personally overseen by GEN Suleimani. Official made clear US prepared to take further action if diplomats, soldiers threatened by his replacement.

The other two killed beyond Suleimani was the #2 Hezbollah guy from Lebanon, Naem Qasm. The third killed in the strike was Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, leader of an Iraqi paramilitary group behind the attempted storming of the US embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday. A triad of really odious evil men.

Also, Qais al-Khazali and Hadi al-Ameri have been arrested by US forces; two of Iraq’s most powerful militia heads. This event is huge.

Suleimani’s death is so consequential—as more comes out about this guy, he was overseeing war in Syria, feeding & playing on sectarian hatred, helping to crack down on protestors in Iran (some reports had some documented events from 2009, 2017, and 2019), as well as in Iraq now, and likely more recently helping Hezbollah set up protests in Lebanon. I’m eager to read Kim Ghattas’ forthcoming book Black Wave about him. There are a lot of complex threads that all unfolded after the Iran-Iraq War and her scholarship will be interesting to read.

Also, for those interested in reading more about him, here’s a longform piece from the New Yorker (from 2013) on Suleimani. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013 ... -commander

No doubt it is consequential but Pompeo twisted truth in his appearances on Fox and CNN today, claiming Soleimani ‘even attempted a thwarted attack in Washington’ - what he failed to mention is Americans weren’t the target - it was the Saudi ambassador. As Tucker Carlson asked in his piece, what does this have to do with the homeland or existential threats again?

DfwRevolution

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Even the DoD disagrees with you on that:

In a statement, Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said the department “does not believe 2001 AUMF can be used against Iran.” That position has been affirmed by the Pentagon’s top lawyer, Paul Ney Jr., according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to address internal deliberations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

Wanna spin us another yarn? Iran has zero to do with 9/11, the genesis of the current AUMF...not the case for their regional competitor we are allied with.

The 2001 AUMF provides a legal framework for the President to act in urgent situations. There is no requirement that those situations have anything to do with 9/11. The AUMF was used by the Obama administration in numerous strikes that had no link to 9/11 with minimal - if any - controversy.

DfwRevolution

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
slider wrote:

No doubt it is consequential but Pompeo twisted truth in his appearances on Fox and CNN today, claiming Soleimani ‘even attempted a thwarted attack in Washington’ - what he failed to mention is Americans weren’t the target - it was the Saudi ambassador. As Tucker Carlson asked in his piece, what does this have to do with the homeland or existential threats again?

OK, I'll break my three post rule to say this is patently insane. Iranians were going to bomb an American restaurant and it's supposed to be a mitigating factor that the primary target wasn't American citizens? You have got to be joking. Americans would have undoubtedly been maimed or killed. Go sit in the corner and think about your poor decisions.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:39 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
slider wrote:

OK, I'll break my three post rule to say this is patently insane. Iranians were going to bomb an American restaurant and it's supposed to be a mitigating factor that the primary target wasn't American citizens? You have got to be joking. Americans would have undoubtedly been maimed or killed. Go sit in the corner and think about your poor decisions.

Sure, I’ll do that when so-called patriots stop looking the other way on KSA and saying ‘oh well, we need stable oil prices’ when 43, 44, and 45 have protected the royals from persecution and legal action against the interests of 9/11 victims, and continue to cheerlead against Iran with vigor on their behalf. I think 9,000 casualties trump a handful of restaurant patrons.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 pm

slider wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
slider wrote:

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

It worked well? You mean up until the point they got to the gates of Vienna before finally being turned back?

I said until about 1250, the siege of Vienna was in 1529. In case you need help figuring that one out, it means the golden age of Islam ended way before that.
So no, obviously not what I mean.

Best regards
Thomas

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:01 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

I said until about 1250, the siege of Vienna was in 1529. In case you need help figuring that one out, it means the golden age of Islam ended way before that.
So no, obviously not what I mean.

Best regards
Thomas

And 1683,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Soliemani dreamed of dying a martyr’s death at the hands of America. That’s Trump—making dreams come true.

GF

Jalap

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm

DfwRevolution wrote:

Iran probably doesn’t care much if a few civilians get killed while achieving their military goals.
The US doesn’t care much either.

In a parallel universe, you probably would get along very well.

Jalap

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:19 pm

slider wrote:
Suleimani’s death is so consequential—as more comes out about this guy, he was overseeing war in Syria, feeding & playing on sectarian hatred, helping to crack down on protestors in Iran (some reports had some documented events from 2009, 2017, and 2019), as well as in Iraq now, and likely more recently helping Hezbollah set up protests in Lebanon.

Has the US never overssen a war in a foreign counrty?
Has the US never feeded and played on sectarian hatred?
Has the US never helped crack down protestors (agreed, I don’t know of any such events in the USA itself)?
Has the US never helped an opposition group in a foreign country to set up protests?

Why is this any different?

Can you understand that from an outsiders perspective, USA and Iran could be considered equally evil?

MaverickM11

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
slider wrote:

Pompeo: “I can assure you that Americans in the region are much safer.”

Also Pompeo: “U.S. citizens should depart via airline while possible, and failing that, to other countries via land. “

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:47 pm

The price of petrol is gonna rise very high, the soft spot is the Straits of Hormuz, expect shipping disruption very soon.

N583JB

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm

3,000 more US troops ordered to the region, per scrawler on the TV right now.

THS214

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:55 pm

All Iran has to do is threat Hormuz passage. Insurance will shot of the roof so no-one can sail there. Happened before. Single attack against a tanker will do it and no-one can prevent it.

sbworcs

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:12 pm

I saw a tweet posted somewhere earlier supposedly from Donald Trump regarding Obama wanting a war / conflict with Iran in 2011 as elections were due.

I that were True then (and I have not been able to verify it) then could the same apply now?

Interesting and potentially very dangerous times ahead

MaverickM11

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:17 pm

sbworcs wrote:
I saw a tweet posted somewhere earlier supposedly from Donald Trump regarding Obama wanting a war / conflict with Iran in 2011 as elections were due.

I that were True then (and I have not been able to verify it) then could the same apply now?

There's always a tweet. In fact there are multiple. TDS has always manifested itself first and foremost as projection.

THS214

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:38 pm

sbworcs wrote:

You mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdBPP7nMfI

SanDiegoLover

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Look, I’m glad Soleimani is dead. What I have an immense issue with however, is the way he was targeted and killed. The US is claiming this is not an act of war, only now, because they have to, America is now setting a precedent that it is ok, and is not an act of war, to specifically target and kill a State Executive, in a non-war zone / peaceful country. Soleimani was essentially the Secretary of Defense for Iran given his purview.

Soleimani Is not and was not some rogue terrorist. He was acting under direct guidance and oversight of Iran’s official government. Any actions he carried out were on behalf of Iran. Any CIC retaliation for real or perceived violence has historically always been directed at or on official government forces. This is far different. I always hated GW Bush and Obama’s unchecked drone attacks, but this has breached a new paradigm in war and conflict.

The US now can have Iran, North Korea, Yemen, Afghanistan, Cuba, whomever that has been dealing with violence, strike and kill The Secretary of Defense or the CIA Director using a drone in some 3rd country....say Mexico or Canada and state it is not an act of war as they had intel that these men/women were an imminent danger to them. Trump just opened the Pandora’s Box of drone warfare. Unfortunately, Americans have the attention span of a Khardashian and will freak out when it happens against the US.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:19 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
Look, I’m glad Soleimani is dead. What I have an immense issue with however, is the way he was targeted and killed. The US is claiming this is not an act of war, only now, because they have to, America is now setting a precedent that it is ok, and is not an act of war, to specifically target and kill a State Executive, in a non-war zone / peaceful country. Soleimani was essentially the Secretary of Defense for Iran given his purview.

Soleimani Is not and was not some rogue terrorist. He was acting under direct guidance and oversight of Iran’s official government. Any actions he carried out were on behalf of Iran. Any CIC retaliation for real or perceived violence has historically always been directed at or on official government forces. This is far different. I always hated GW Bush and Obama’s unchecked drone attacks, but this has breached a new paradigm in war and conflict.

The US now can have Iran, North Korea, Yemen, Afghanistan, Cuba, whomever that has been dealing with violence, strike and kill The Secretary of Defense or the CIA Director using a drone in some 3rd country....say Mexico or Canada and state it is not an act of war as they had intel that these men/women were an imminent danger to them. Trump just opened the Pandora’s Box of drone warfare. Unfortunately, Americans have the attention span of a Khardashian and will freak out when it happens against the US.

Really? Using that argument soldiers can’t be fired upon and killed. Soleimani is uniform-wearing, gun toting soldier.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Across Arab lands, including Syria and Lebanon, there’s crowds very happy Iran’s chief of terror is gone. The Atlantic:

https://outline.com/nemWny

SanDiegoLover

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Really? Using that argument soldiers can’t be fired upon and killed. Soleimani is uniform-wearing, gun toting soldier.

Wrong! He was specifically targeted and assassinated. He was under escort of the official government of Iraq, and we killed those Iraqis escorting him as well. What will you say when some “gun toting” American official like Mattis or Petraeus is blown sky high while on a government trip to France or the U.K. and killed by an Iranian or Afghan/Taliban drone strike? You’ll just shrug your shoulders and say, “eliminated fair and square”? Yeah, didn’t think so!
Last edited by SanDiegoLover on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanDiegoLover

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Trump just now has gone live on the air to proclaim; “this is not an act of war”, and “we are not after regime change in Iran”. Only now, way too late, have these bozos figured out just what chaos they’ve unleashed. Morons.

My guess is the Iraqi government will demand the withdrawal of 5,200 US troops within the next several weeks as the government moves closer to Iran.