1337Delta764
Topic Author

Are new showerheads good gifts for my grandparents?

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:24 pm

I just returned from my trip from Puerto Rico and I saw how worn out my grandfather's showerheads were. I would like to buy him some nice new showerheads. For his pink main master bathroom, I would like to get him the same Moen 6-Function Magnetix Engage showerhead that I have. I think both him and my grandmother would really appreciate the handheld convenience and magnetic holder considering that they are elderly, and they could also use it to clean the bathtub (my mom does that with mine in my bathroom). For the black second bathroom, I will probably buy a basic Moen EcoPerformance showerhead. I think Moen is a brand that they can trust. I will just let them know to clean them with vinegar from time to time to keep them looking good. The existing shower arm, spout, and valve/valve trim are Delta, while the bathtubs are American Standard (which seems to be a very popular brand in Puerto Rico for plumbing fixtures).
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Jouhou

Re: Are new showerheads good gifts for my grandparents?

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:06 pm

Only if you install them for them. When you say "grandparents" I'm picturing elderly people performing overhead work while standing on a slippery surface. It's a PITA for many, but elderly people don't recover well from slips and falls and aren't generally flexible enough for awkward positions while performing work.

TSS

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Only if you install them for them. When you say "grandparents" I'm picturing elderly people performing overhead work while standing on a slippery surface. It's a PITA for many, but elderly people don't recover well from slips and falls and aren't generally flexible enough for awkward positions while performing work.

^ This. If you just give them the shower heads without installing them, a year from now they'll still be in the box on a shelf in the closet gathering dust. If you ask them then why they didn't install them, you'll get an answer along the lines of "Oh, those are very nice but they're too fancy for us. Our old shower heads work just fine". Trust me on this one, I've played this game more than once before.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:20 pm

Jouhou wrote:

My grandfather probably knows several people there who can install them. One person that I have in mind is my godfather. He knows how to help him with technology, and I think he can install a showerhead as well.

fr8mech

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 am

Yes, on the shower heads. It’s a nice gift, and it shows you care about them. But, install them, or have them installed.

Now, why in the hell does your mother still clean the tub, or anything else in the bathroom of a grown man?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

seb146

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:11 am

The brosband and I are always doing things for our moms. If we do not change air filters or water filters or move TVs, it will not get gone.

A new shower head is a great idea if the old one is running poorly or if the new one is adjustable and has different flow settings. But, yes, install it yourself. Do not expect them to "call someone" to get it done. That way, you know it is done and they do not have to spend any extra.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:31 am

seb146 wrote:
The brosband and I are always doing things for our moms. If we do not change air filters or water filters or move TVs, it will not get gone.

A new shower head is a great idea if the old one is running poorly or if the new one is adjustable and has different flow settings. But, yes, install it yourself. Do not expect them to "call someone" to get it done. That way, you know it is done and they do not have to spend any extra.

Well, I built his desktop computer. On my past vacation I installed a new power supply. I told him not to throw it away if anything happens, since I will handle the warranty request.

Also, for the second bathroom, I am actually now leaning towards the Moen Adler five-function showerhead. I am debating though if I should get the standard 2.5 GPM version or the low-flow 1.75 GPM version. My concern is that the water pressure might be too weak on the low-flow version, since I think their inlet pressure isn't very strong. Also, some don't recommend using low-flow showerheads with older valves due to scald hazard.

Airstud

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:10 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
his pink main master bathroom

The light is shed.
Pancakes are delicious.

Tugger

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:23 am

1337Delta764 wrote:

Probably not, new shower heads often have flow restrictors that suck all the joy out of showering. The old ones probably dumps gobs of water at a good force unlike the often weak pressure restricted new ones.

And if you get them new ones anyway, then yes you have to have them installed for them. It is the polite and proper thing to do.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
and they could also use it to clean the bathtub (my mom does that with mine in my bathroom).

my take on this is how come you don’t clean your own bathroom, your poor mum!!

KFTG

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:04 am

What did I just read?

johns624

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:56 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
and they could also use it to clean the bathtub (my mom does that with mine in my bathroom).

That's because it's in her basement...

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

I bought a 4 or 5 star inexpensive shower head last fall, two settings - we use the one like 'rain shower'. Wife really likes it. The flow restrictor is only a little noisy. I do second arrangements for installation and maintenance. One with a hand held option one is a good for the older elderly.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:58 pm

johns624 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

That's because it's in her basement...

I do other things like my own laundry and vacuuming. I also help her with technology.

johns624

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

I do other things like my own laundry and vacuuming. I also help her with technology.
Ever thought of moving out? After all, if you can afford new clothes every season, you should be able to afford to live on your own. You are an adult...

ER757

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:52 am

Tugger wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Probably not, new shower heads often have flow restrictors that suck all the joy out of showering. The old ones probably dumps gobs of water at a good force unlike the often weak pressure restricted new ones.

And if you get them new ones anyway, then yes you have to have them installed for them. It is the polite and proper thing to do.

Tugg

Your post makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where new shower heads got installed in Jerry's building - the recurring punchline was "low flow? I don't like the sound of that" and everybody had matted down hair after their shower

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:05 am

ER757 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Tugg

Your post makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where new shower heads got installed in Jerry's building - the recurring punchline was "low flow? I don't like the sound of that" and everybody had matted down hair after their shower

Their master bathroom is on their second (or third) showerhead, so flow shouldn't be an issue. The Moen Magnetix Engage I am getting him is 2.5 GPM, so it should have the same flow as existing showerhead. I will just let them know to clean them with vinegar to keep them looking good.

However, for the second bathroom, I am now leaning towards the Moen Adler (a non-handheld multifunction showerhead). It comes in both a 2.5 GPM and a 1.75 GPM version. I read that using showerheads below 2.5 GPM on older valves can create a scald hazard, so I might go with the 2.5 GPM version. Plus, considering the age of the valves, pressure might be too low by using a 1.75 GPM showerhead. The valves are Delta ball-type valves (non-pressure compensating).

stl07

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 am

johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Ever thought of moving out? After all, if you can afford new clothes every season, you should be able to afford to live on your own. You are an adult...

I know quite a few people who have moved in with their parents again as they are getting older and need company. Nothing wrong with it
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Kiwirob

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:54 am

stl07 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

I know quite a few people who have moved in with their parents again as they are getting older and need company. Nothing wrong with it

I think our OP has never moved out.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 am

Tugger wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Tugg

With a little effort, I think you can modify the shower heads to make them "regular flow." If this this is illegal in your locale, please disregard this information. (Greta, if you're listening, please don't hurt me).
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Jouhou

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:54 pm

johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

If he lives in the Boston to Washington corridor you can't move out on your own with anything short of making median income plus. Low wage workers live in cramped conditions with many room mates. Family is more reliable than roomies. I make good money and I still pay half of my paycheck on rent.

Tugger wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Tugg

Puerto Rico is an island. There isn't a ton of fresh water to tap into and I can imagine limiting wasted water is important there.

fr8mech

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:38 pm

You know, maybe you should ask them if they would like an “upgrade”. If so, maybe lay out a couple of options for them, sans prices. No reason not to ask them.

johns624 wrote:

I don’t have an issue with him living with his mom, in fact, my mother-in-law will be moving in with us this summer. But I’ll be damned if she is asked to clean anyone’s bathroom. In fact, about the only thing she’ll be asked to do is keep her room clean.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

johns624

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 am

Jouhou wrote:
If he lives in the Boston to Washington corridor you can't move out on your own with anything short of making median income plus.
He lives in the Phoenix area. Haven't you ever read his threads comparing the different malls there and what "color" he thinks each transit line should be?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 am

Jouhou wrote:
johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Puerto Rico is an island. There isn't a ton of fresh water to tap into and I can imagine limiting wasted water is important there.

Note that there are some issues with installing showerheads with less than 2.5 GPM on older non-pressure compensating valves. One of the main issues is a scald hazard due to the fluctuations in temperature, causing "shower shock". Also, the valves lose pressure with age, and using a 1.75 GPM showerhead might result in weak water pressure. That is why I will probably go with the 2.5 GPM version of the Moen Adler for the secondary bathroom. The existing valves at my grandparents' house are not pressure compensating, and considering that my grandparents are elderly, might as well play it safe.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:54 am

Note that I ordered the Moen Adler from Lowe's since it is a Lowe's exclusive item, and unfortunately they shipped it FedEx SmartPost. Estimated delivery on January 29! Unbelievable. No wonder why their shipping to Puerto Rico was so cheap.

Ken777

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:11 am

Not all grandparents are incapable of replacing a shower head - I've changed one out at 75. Just be sure they have an adjustable wrench that will work and get some plumber's tape to seal the connection.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:33 am

Ken777 wrote:
Not all grandparents are incapable of replacing a shower head - I've changed one out at 75. Just be sure they have an adjustable wrench that will work and get some plumber's tape to seal the connection.

I have someone who will install them for him. He completely remodeled my other grandmother's shower.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm

I ordered a 16 inch wok, they shipped Smart Post and it arrived two days faster than predicted.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

flyingclrs727

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 am

Sounds like a good idea so long as you install the showerheads for them. Over a decade ago when I moved out of an apartment where I was living, I put back the original showerhead that I had replaced with a newer shower head. Then instead of just putting my showerhead in storage, I offered to install it at my aunt's house in Houston were I sometimes stayed on trips to Houston. The showerhead in the bathroom designated as the guest bath, had a 1950's era showerhead that had a really inefficient spray pattern. I asked my aunt if it were OK if I changed out the shower head, and she had no problem with it. It took no tools, and all I really needed was some Teflon tape which I provided. The improvement was immediate. The new showerhead not only had a much better and more useful adjustable spray pattern. It saved lots of water.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Now with the Moen Magnetix Engage, Amazon hasn't updated the tracking since Wednesday and it hasn't appeared they have handed over the package to the USPS yet. I'm a little concerned that it might be lost or stolen. Amazon says it should be delivered Monday; I hope it is true. The last tracking update was when it left Amazon's facility in Miami.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

It's Sunday and Amazon STILL hasn't handed it off to the USPS. I hope I get a surprise tonight or tomorrow morning. I have the tracking number registered on Informed Delivery. I really hope it gets delivered soon. I'm a bit surprised it is taking this long for Amazon to hand off the package to the USPS.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:56 pm

I just wonder if the earthquake is causing delays in processing. Neither SJU nor my grandparents' location are in the directly impacted area of the earthquake, although they did have a power outage. I would expect postal facilities to have generators.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 am

Well, after several days of uncertainty my package was finally scanned by the USPS. Estimated delivery on Wednesday.

jetero

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:51 am

Well that’s a relief.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Okay, it is now out for delivery. Hopefully it gets delivered.

Now with the Moen Adler showerhead that I ordered from Lowe's, they still estimate a January 29 delivery. However, it seemed to take an odd route. Right now it is in the SmartPost hub in Ellenwood, Georgia even though it was shipped out of Homestead, Florida. I recall that most mail by sea to Puerto Rico goes out of the Port of Jacksonville. I know there is also a SmartPost hub in Orlando, unless Jacksonville is sorted out of Ellenwood.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 am

Just as an update, a delivery was attempted today, but my grandfather wasn't home. The USPS will attempt redelivery tomorrow.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm

Well, it was finally delivered as of this morning. Let's hope the installation goes smoothly and there are no delivery issues with the second showerhead.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 am

Well, my grandfather had it installed today and he says it works good. I will handle any warranty requests for him. I registered it with Moen.

CaptHadley

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:02 am

Outstanding! I would keep on top of the warranty issue. Shower heads are notoriously prone to having issues. God forbid you get any water in the working areas, not good at all.