sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sultan Qaboos of Oman dies, aged 79

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:13 am

Respected man of the Middle East, Sultan Qaboos of Oman has died at age 79.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50902476

SumChristianus

Re: Sultan Qaboos of Oman dies, aged 79

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 am

Ooohh possible big trouble there

Per I think Peter Zeihan (book: Absent Superpower) Sultan Qaboos moderate rule and balance of factions is pretty much all that's keeping Oman together.

I fear yet another spot of trouble coming on, just as Zeihan/Friedman have predicted with their geopolitics

Is there a replacement?
UA DL LH NW AA WN --- Next IND-DEN-RIW UA A319/CR2
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

Aaron747

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:24 am

SumChristianus wrote:
Ooohh possible big trouble there

Per I think Peter Zeihan (book: Absent Superpower) Sultan Qaboos moderate rule and balance of factions is pretty much all that's keeping Oman together.

I fear yet another spot of trouble coming on, just as Zeihan/Friedman have predicted with their geopolitics

Is there a replacement?

They will have big trouble with their migrant working class if they don’t continue their moderate policy structure.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

kaitak

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 am

I understand that there is to be a meeting of the top Omani bods and that Qaboos has written down the name of his successor and put it in an envelope and that this name will be revealed at the meeting.

I do hope the succession is smooth. Oman is a beautiful country and (by the standards of the region), peaceful, progressive and successful. A smooth transition would go a long way towards ensuring that this continues.

scbriml

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 am

kaitak wrote:
I do hope the succession is smooth. Oman is a beautiful country and (by the standards of the region), peaceful, progressive and successful. A smooth transition would go a long way towards ensuring that this continues.

It's a fantastic place to visit. Our whole family has had nothing but great times and fond memories of Oman.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ArchGuy1

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:10 pm

Oman was heavily transformed by Sultan Qaboos.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:28 pm

I thought the successor was the cultural minister, his cousin. Looks like that's who he preferred.

What's interesting is that Qaboos is the prime example of what happens when authority restricts freedom to the younger generation. Per the WaPo, his childhood was spent inside the palace and without any contact. His father was paranoid and eventually disconnected himself from the people. When Qaboos had the chance, he deposed his father and truly transformed Oman. Unlike his neighbors though, he never sought to turn Oman into an opulent hub, opting instead to emphasize the cultural aspects of the country, and dissent was still strongly punished. Even the 2011 protests were met with force, though Qaboos met demands, to some extent.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ArchGuy1

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:21 pm

As Oman modernized under Sultan Qaboos, the country kept it's architectural heritage and promoted it unlike places like Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, and Bahrain which built futuristic architecture, including skyscrapers. Oman has banned skyscrapers and this makes the country unique in the Gulf Corporation Council.