Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theaviator380

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:17 pm

My colleague just mentioned something wicked but sounded reasonable ! He said, he is tired of listening and reading to this virus BS now...might as well catch it, fight it off and get immune !!

zakuivcustom

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Japan asks visitors from China and South Korea be quarantined over COVID-19 from March 9 till 31 March.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... mJiEkczZPY

All I'll say about the "ask to be quarantine" is that...well, it's just not going to work.

Japan is also revoking any existing visa, and stopping visa waivers, though:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200306_23/

Any Chinese (I believe this include people holding HKSAR and Macau SAR passports) and South Korean nationals entering Japan will need new visa starting Monday. Also, visa waivers for people from South Korea, HK, and Macau for short-term stay (90-days) are suspended.

Not surprisingly, South Korea "retaliate" by stopping visa waivers for Japanese entering South Korea (Not like many would want to go to SK right now anyway...)
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... 0T1FU?il=0

Also, some of the restrictions applied to foreign nationals (i.e. anyone that's not Japanese or South Korean) traveling between Japan and SK also.

The tourism industry in Japan, of course, will be badly affected as they basically lost their #1 (China), #2 (South Korea), and #4 (Hong Kong) customers (#3 is Taiwan which is exempted...but Taiwanese is probably reducing travel to Japan as-is anyway).

Also, although things are VERY good in Macau (No new cases in a month, all 10 confirmed cases had recovered as of today), they also get swept up in the travel restrictions. The number of people holding Macau SAR passport is not that large, though.
===========================================================================
BTW, a side note - Germany and France are both not looking great right now as there are 100+ cases confirmed in a day (March 5th) in both countries. Crossing fingers that the number stabilize at ~100-200 rather than the exponential growth seen in Italy and South Korea (~50 -> ~100 -> ~300 -> ~1000/day)

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:14 pm

https://livingchurch.org/2020/03/04/cov ... -128516189

A women with experience with eboli as well as other diseases, certification in tropical and other infectious diseases and a fair amount of experience in Africa. She writes from a Christian background, but you can easily transform that to a generalized spiritual background. There is a fair amount of new information. From her medical background she thinks the US has been slow to react.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

casinterest

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:48 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
https://livingchurch.org/2020/03/04/covid-19-facing-facts-working-to-prepare-trusting-in-god/?utm_source=The+Living+Church+Email+Updates&utm_campaign=6429fec1f5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_05_04_52&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0826f52b83-6429fec1f5-128516189

A women with experience with eboli as well as other diseases, certification in tropical and other infectious diseases and a fair amount of experience in Africa. She writes from a Christian background, but you can easily transform that to a generalized spiritual background. There is a fair amount of new information. From her medical background she thinks the US has been slow to react.

Yeah, The following from the article is the main issue. Most of the cases we see in the US so far are people so sick they show up at the hospital. The lack of testing, as i attested to earlier means a lot of people think they just have a weird cold.

But what makes COVID-19 different from SARS or MERS is that it has much more mild symptoms in the first week — and just in general, for most people, it is mild. That sounds like a great thing. And it is, except that you continue to go to work and do whatever you do. And maybe you even feel miserable, but it doesn’t knock you out, so a lot of people go on with their daily business. And it seems that, from case reports, people who are asymptomatic or have incredibly mild symptoms are able to spread it, just like anyone else. They certainly have the same viral load. For instance, there were reports of a nine-year-old who was asymptomatic or had almost no symptoms, but he spread it to his entire family, and a number of them died. You just can’t contain a disease with mild symptoms that mimics a common cold and is so easily spread.

The Three main symptoms are Fever, dry cough, and fatigue. Hell, most colds have that going for them.
Where ever you go, there you are.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:01 pm

Three days ago, I predicted the numbers in Norway would triple the next three days. Well it quadrupled. Now 116 cases.

Iceland is a particularly strange. They have 43 cases among 360,000 people. If the U.S. was hit just as bad per capita, there would be 39,000 cases there right now.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Italy just updated the numbers. +778 cases + 48 deaths + 109 recovered. Total 4636 cases, 197 deaths, 523 recovered.

N757ST

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:16 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Italy just updated the numbers. +778 cases + 48 deaths + 109 recovered. Total 4636 cases, 197 deaths, 523 recovered.

I could be wrong, but the youngest person that has died in Italy is 66?

Aaron747

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:27 pm

An excellent rundown in NYT opinion from a Japanese commentator on the government’s various failings so far:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/opin ... n-abe.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:54 pm

N757ST wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

I don't know, but I do know people with medical preconditions as well as older people are more vulnerable. Italians are known for their good, low cholesterol mediterranean food. Average life expectancy in Italy is very high, nr 8 in the world. So it wouldn't surprise me if only older people had died so far.

kanban

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm

I wonder if there is any connection between the spread and the shipment of small packages direct from Chinese businesses to US (and other countries) homes via mail. Are they tested in customs? don't think so.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:33 pm

According to this article, the average age of the deceased ones in Italy due to Coronavirus infection is 81.

https://www.ilsole24ore.com/art/chi-son ... gi-ADVtmKB

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:34 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
N757ST wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

I don't know, but I do know people with medical preconditions as well as older people are more vulnerable. Italians are known for their good, low cholesterol mediterranean food. Average life expectancy in Italy is very high, nr 8 in the world. So it wouldn't surprise me if only older people had died so far.

If the higher life expectency is a result of advanced medicine in a developed country, aka medically managed health, not going to help with a virus without vaccine. It helps if it is based on life style.
All posts are just opinions.

art

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:17 pm

N757ST wrote:
I can’t imagine if this thing is running like wildfire throughout the world that there wouldn’t be stories yet of overflowing hospitals and a shortage of acute care..

I don't think it is running like wildfire throughout the world. That could happen during this month. To see what happens if it does, look at what happened in Wuhan - overflowing hospitals, shortage of acute care.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:00 pm

What would you do if you attend classes and your college professor is returning from Italy shortly? Tell him to stay away? Would be rude, no? Refuse to attend classes? Sue the school for "reckless endangerment"?

casinterest

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
What would you do if you attend classes and your college professor is returning from Italy shortly? Tell him to stay away? Would be rude, no? Refuse to attend classes? Sue the school for "reckless endangerment"?

Ask for a remote learning session :)
Where ever you go, there you are.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

At Berklee??

ER757

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

University of Washington announced they are going on-line only for the remainder of the winter quarter -
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... d-colorado

art

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:22 pm

It is reported that among new UK cases today are 2 BA baggage handlers. Could it be that the virus can survive transit in aircraft baggage holds?

PixelPilot

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm

art wrote:
It is reported that among new UK cases today are 2 BA baggage handlers. Could it be that the virus can survive transit in aircraft baggage holds?

That would also mean mailed packages and so on.

gatibosgru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:44 pm

I have a trip to Rome scheduled for the 17th. My employer wants me to cancel or self quarantine when I come back but without pay unless I use PTO. I don't know what to do. Alitalia isn't offering free refunds for my flight and my first stop on the trip is Paris so AA isn't offering refunds either. Any thoughts from people more knowledgeable than I?
@DadCelo

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I have a trip to Rome scheduled for the 17th. My employer wants me to cancel or self quarantine when I come back but without pay unless I use PTO. I don't know what to do. Alitalia isn't offering free refunds for my flight and my first stop on the trip is Paris so AA isn't offering refunds either. Any thoughts from people more knowledgeable than I?

Are you flying with AZ to CDG via FCO? Or AA to CDG? It's a bit confusing what you are saying.

gatibosgru

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:08 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

Are you flying with AZ to CDG via FCO? Or AA to CDG? It's a bit confusing what you are saying.

I'm flying AA to CDG then 2 days later flying to FCO with AZ.
@DadCelo

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

I'm flying AA to CDG then 2 days later flying to FCO with AZ.

Then why not just go to Paris and take your loss on CDG-FCO?

NIKV69

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:09 am

gatibosgru wrote:

I can't understand why you want to go on this trip with the amount of cases there. Alitalia will probably wind up not charging cancellation fees but why would you risk getting this virus?
I am the Googlizer!!!

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:13 am

In Aichi prefecture, Japan, a man in his 50's who tested positive for Covid19 and was asked to self-quarantine by the health center, has told his family that he's "going out to infect 'em" before breaching the self-quarantine and going out to at least two restaurant to supposedly infect others intentionally. After learning of this, the city has disinfected the two businesses. The business owners didn't hide their anger during an interview with Nihon TV.

Source: http://www.news24.jp/articles/2020/03/05/07604759.html

Clusters have formed around several live music events in Osaka, dozens from across the country who attended events mid-February are found to be infected.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200305_11/
http://www.news24.jp/articles/2020/03/07/07605560.html

Nihon TV also reported that the reliability of the PCR test is not high. On any given test on an infected person, the chances of detecting the Corona virus can vary between 30 to 70%.
This means that in about half of infected individuals the virus will not be detected by the test, or that for every infected individual who is detected, another one will be sent home with a negative result.

Nihon TV www.news24.jp

zakuivcustom

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... e-n1151936

Grand Princess has a high chance of becoming the 2nd Diamond Princess

21 confirmed so far, mostly crews.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:16 am

And another cruiseship drama is looming off the US West Coast:

Vice President Mike Pence, who is running the White House’s response to the outbreak, said at a news conference that 19 crew members and two passengers out of 46 people tested so far on the Grand Princess ship had the virus.

He said the vessel with about 3,400 passengers and crew would be taken to a non-commercial port where everyone on board would be tested.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20T235

Not good.

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 am

I seriously don't understand the appeal of a cruise.
If it is not a Coronavirus outbreak, then it is a Norovirus outbreak. If it is not a Norovirus outbreak, then it is a drug murder. If it is not a drug murder, it is typhoon. And on and on and on.

prebennorholm

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am

gatibosgru wrote:

Isn't this a very simple decision? Self quarantine without pay, won't that mean an extremely expensive visit in Rome?

Having no idea what you are planning to do in Rome, but assuming it is not work for your employer. What you want to see or experience, that will probably be closed when you arrive. The local people will do whatever they can to stay at least ten feet away from you.

Imagine another guest or employee at your hotel gets ill. You (and a few hundred others) would be forced to quarantine in the hotel for a few weeks until the Italians feel convinced that you are perfectly healthy. That could be a holiday which you will never forget.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

joeblow10

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:10 am

In a closed door February 26th presentation, the American Hospital Association presented a deck that included an expert analysis estimating 96 million cases of coronavirus in the US, with an estimated 480k deaths. Business Insider appears to have obtained a copy (article is admittedly behind a paywall, but is available if googled on a separate/duplicate site)

The question being how long before the “it’s just the flu” crowd wakes up...

https://www.businessinsider.com/present ... eak-2020-3

First portion of the article, free: https://usa-newnews.com/new-news/a-leak ... 00-deaths/
Last edited by joeblow10 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

dtw2hyd

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 am

Why can't the cruise passenger be offloaded to a sparsely populated? Easy to quarantine without community spread. Locking them up on the cruise ship didn't help with Diamond Princess.
All posts are just opinions.

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Why can't the cruise passenger be offloaded to a sparsely populated? Easy to quarantine without community spread. Locking them up on the cruise ship didn't help with Diamond Princess.

Bikini Atoll!

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:30 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
https://livingchurch.org/2020/03/04/covid-19-facing-facts-working-to-prepare-trusting-in-god/?utm_source=The+Living+Church+Email+Updates&utm_campaign=6429fec1f5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_03_05_04_52&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0826f52b83-6429fec1f5-128516189

that's an understatement.

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:30 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:

that's an understatement.

N757ST

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:47 am

joeblow10 wrote:
In a closed door February 26th presentation, the American Hospital Association presented a deck that included an expert analysis estimating 96 million cases of coronavirus in the US, with an estimated 480k deaths. Business Insider appears to have obtained a copy (article is admittedly behind a paywall, but is available if googled on a separate/duplicate site)

First portion of the article, free: https://usa-newnews.com/new-news/a-leak ... 00-deaths/

That’d certainly suck. But that’d be roughly 5x flu deaths. While horrible, a .5% death rate is better then what’s being experienced world wide.

cskok8

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:26 am

Dieuwer wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Bikini Atoll!

Actually I thought that would be a good place to disinfect the Diamond Princess

qf789

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 am

Three women have got into a fight over toilet paper in an Australian supermarket

https://twitter.com/byronkaye/status/12 ... 00608?s=21
Forum Moderator

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 am

N757ST wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

That’d certainly suck. But that’d be roughly 5x flu deaths. While horrible, a .5% death rate is better then what’s being experienced world wide.

Do you want to check those numbers again? 5x flu deaths. While horrible, a .5% death rate
I don't understand how you came up with that?

the article said

4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
96 million cases overall in the US
480,000 deaths
Overall, the slide points out that hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that’s 10 times a severe flu season.

bennett123

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:40 am

Gatibosgru

What is PTO?.

If you cancel, will they compensate you?.

yonahleung

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 am

bennett123 wrote:
Gatibosgru

What is PTO?.

If you cancel, will they compensate you?.

paid time off, which is called annual leave in most other countries

dampfnudel

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:34 am

theaviator380 wrote:
My colleague just mentioned something wicked but sounded reasonable ! He said, he is tired of listening and reading to this virus BS now...might as well catch it, fight it off and get immune !!

I read somewhere online that there’s a possibility you don’t gain immunity and could get reinfected.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

dampfnudel

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:51 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I seriously don't understand the appeal of a cruise.
If it is not a Coronavirus outbreak, then it is a Norovirus outbreak. If it is not a Norovirus outbreak, then it is a drug murder. If it is not a drug murder, it is typhoon. And on and on and on.

I’m not a cruise person myself, but I know some people who can’t get enough. Years ago when I was a kid, my mom and I took a six-week cruise on a cargo ship which also took 12 passengers. We sailed from Port Newark to Panama, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru and Chile. I had a great time. The second cruise was over 10 years ago and I didn’t like it at all. The truth is sharing a confined environment with a huge number of people for an extended period of time is more likely to end up disappointing the more independently minded among us. As we can see with both the Diamond Princess and Grand Princess, sometimes people can get more than just disappointed.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

N757ST

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:53 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
N757ST wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Do you want to check those numbers again? 5x flu deaths. While horrible, a .5% death rate
I don't understand how you came up with that?

the article said

4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
96 million cases overall in the US
480,000 deaths
Overall, the slide points out that hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that’s 10 times a severe flu season.

I did math. Annual flu death percentage is .1%. 480,000/96,000,000 = .005.

.1%/.5%=5

Kilopond

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:36 am

gatibosgru wrote:
I have a trip to Rome scheduled for the 17th.[...]I?

Keep a very close eye on your PNR (booking data). As now France, Switzerland and Germany are also rapidly turning into virus cesspools, it is more than likely that at least one of your flights will be cancelled. Than hurry up and give them a call. Don't accept any rebookings but insist on a refund.

ltbewr

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:40 am

It is very sad that the outbreak of this virus is causing such stupid and dangerous human behaviors, from politicians on down. Fights over toilet paper. The massive over-hype of the news and social media. False and conflicting information. Vile racism as to Asians, especially Chinese and massive cut in business at Chinese style food take out and restaurants.. A US President and his administration who is clueless and downright incompetent in dealing with such a crises more fearful of not getting re-elected than dealing with it professionally. Massive failures of our public health systems around the world. Losses in the billions to working people and businesses as travel, meetings, conventions, get cancelled, SXSW being on of the casualties of sound caution.

Yes, like many I am very concerned about getting this virus may self but also my 91 year old mom, a friend who has diabetes and goes for kidney dialysis 3 times a week, a niece who is a teacher getting this virus and at risk of dying, I am 65 so I am in an elevated risk group. My workplace, a government agency that has faced the horrors and massive disruptions of 9/11 is preparing for this virus and its disruptions to its work and by its workers. I find myself not watching the news as just raises the anxiety levels in me, seeking programs online or on TV just to take my mind off this bug. For those with underlying mental and physical health issues, the fear is making things much worse but the need to quarantine ones self if get bad will have deep affects on such persons.

As the saying goes, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:43 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It is very sad that the outbreak of this virus is causing such stupid and dangerous human behaviors, from politicians on down. Fights over toilet paper. The massive over-hype of the news and social media. False and conflicting information. Vile racism as to Asians, especially Chinese and massive cut in business at Chinese style food take out and restaurants.. A US President and his administration who is clueless and downright incompetent in dealing with such a crises more fearful of not getting re-elected than dealing with it professionally. Massive failures of our public health systems around the world. Losses in the billions to working people and businesses as travel, meetings, conventions, get cancelled, SXSW being on of the casualties of sound caution.

Yes, like many I am very concerned about getting this virus may self but also my 91 year old mom, a friend who has diabetes and goes for kidney dialysis 3 times a week, a niece who is a teacher getting this virus and at risk of dying, I am 65 so I am in an elevated risk group. My workplace, a government agency that has faced the horrors and massive disruptions of 9/11 is preparing for this virus and its disruptions to its work and by its workers. I find myself not watching the news as just raises the anxiety levels in me, seeking programs online or on TV just to take my mind off this bug. For those with underlying mental and physical health issues, the fear is making things much worse but the need to quarantine ones self if get bad will have deep affects on such persons.

This means 2020 will be my worst year ever. There is more than 100,000 people affected by virus now everywhere in this world. And now, many countries in this world except UK, Thailand and some countries has already restrict Chinese and those people who visit for 14 days. I hope that this dead virus can end ASAP.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Here are the list of countries that imposed travel restrictions to both China and Korea as found on Wikipedia. Most countries have not welcomed citizens from China, HK and Macau for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... strictions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... strictions
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

zakuivcustom

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:00 pm

ltbewr wrote:

The problem is that, even now, there is both overhyping hysteria going on (i.e. media still making people believe they will just die if they caught the virus), and deliberate underplaying going on (numerous Trump officials who believe in all the conspiracies...then there are many countries who just listen to that worthless WHO and its puppet head Tedros).

Your relatives are definitely high risk when it come to dying from nCoV, though.

Hoping for this to be over soon TBH.
============================
https://www.rt.com/news/482570-chinese- ... ronavirus/

(I don't want to use RT, but it is the only English source I can find so far...this is all over Chinese media, though)

A hotel in Quanzhou, Fujian, China collapsed. The hotel is being used as nCoV quarantine site.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Social distancing is evolving and increasing in the Seattle area. Most colleges are going online only, as are the major IT companies. Boeing is watchful. Schools sporadically closing (along with those lil darlins not getting all that sick, but great spreaders LOL) I am reconsidering my 4 days a week in the gym (I'm in that 80s group) and miss my HIIT running. On the ferry people spread themselves out, and the crew is doing a lot more sanitizing. Air travel declining. As for me and cruises - f'gettaboutit. But oddly cruise ships will be repositioned in this area for Alaska duty, as Asia is out. I am not sure how that will work out.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:25 pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... -in-motel/

Here is an interesting case. The county bought the only motel available which best meets quarantine standards. Separate HVAC for each unit, exterior entrances only, parking availability etc. The city objected that they were not appropriately involved. Courts immediately decided in the counties favor as an emergency necessity. The county is preparing 3 other sites throughout the county including, I think, some in Seattle. My instincts are that the higher levels of government must have the ability to provide services to those people needing quarantine or isolation.

This may be slightly askew the cruise ship off shore in California. Those people need to be taken off the ship (which is a proven infection incubator), and taken to safe housing where they can be isolated appropriately, probably for another 14 days.