Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Waterbomber2

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 am

Sardinia, Italy, (the homebase region for defunct Air Italy) is dealing with several Covid19 outbreaks, including one in Nuoro where they need to shut down a hospital after 15 medical staff have been found to be infected.

The tally is increasing very fast, now over 35 cases, despite that the island is home to only 1 million inhabitants.
The big problem of Sardinia is that a majority of the population is over 40 years old, with 7 elderly for every child.
The virus has first been detected in people returning from conventions in Northern Italy, PM Conte had rejected earlier requests of the regional governmnet to shut down ports and airports. Currently, the island is isolated (in theory) with the last flights still operating but it's expected that airports and ports will be closed as was previously requested.
A retired man who arrived from Northern Italy to stay at his vacation home in Sardinia a few days ago, has been intercepted by police and may be charged after he was found roaming in bars in his towns despite the requirement for 14 days of self-isolation.

Hundreds of people are in isolation monitoring their condition and awaiting test results after they came in contact with confirmed cases.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/nuoro/cr ... 1.38578448

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/ricerca? ... 20sardegna

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:41 am

First positives cases in Michigan, in Oakland and Macomb counties. Not many details, one male, one female, both middle-aged, one has int travel history and one has domestic travel history.

So far Michigan tested less than 50 cases, take your time.

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
First positives cases in Michigan, in Oakland and Macombcounties. Not many details, one male, one female, both middle-aged, one has int travel history and one has domestic travel history.

So far Michigan tested less than 50 cases, take your time.

Sorry, Wayne county.

kalvado

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
kalvado wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
The U.S. dropped the ball in getting tests out quickly and making them widely available, does anybody know why this happened? Is that the job of CDC? or is it the job of the mfg that CDC hired ?

CDC said they shipped out pretty early; there were some glitches with parts of test - but looks like they were out, and were at least somewhat usable.
What hit hard is CDC strict testing policy - foreign travelers and immediate contacts of those infected. So once virus slipped past that line, people who got symptoms were not tested despite clear clinical reasons. Test price may be the reason, or just bureaucratic idiocy. But it is what it is.

thank you, appreciate the info

Trevor Bedford sheds some light on it:
https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1237612761263140864
its a different aspect, but definitely on the same page.

art

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am

The nasty cat is out of the bag, isn't it? Governments are starting to fight a rearguard action whose purpose is no longer to contain the epidemic in the hope that it peters out through quarantine but to slow its advance through the population.

Is the next stage self-isolation of the vulnerable to protect them from the infection?

Given that the disease has symptoms that can be confused with a cold or flu - and in some people no detectable symptoms at all, there are undoubtedly large numbers of infectious people unknowingly infecting others. In such a situation, would it not be a good idea to start isolating the people most likely to be killed by it?

slider

Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:51 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I also start to wonder if Americans are typically more prone to hysteria then say Germans, Dutch, or French....

Yes.

Because we've had decades of government indoctrination through the media, the educational establishment, etc. This entire affair is being fueled by irresponsible media hysteria.

#WuhanMediaVirus

art

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:00 pm

slider wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I also start to wonder if Americans are typically more prone to hysteria then say Germans, Dutch, or French....

Yes.

Because we've had decades of government indoctrination through the media, the educational establishment, etc. This entire affair is being fueled by irresponsible media hysteria.

#WuhanMediaVirus

I don't know what you are talking about. Would you mind re-phrasing so what you write means something to me, please?

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:16 pm

art wrote:
The nasty cat is out of the bag, isn't it? Governments are starting to fight a rearguard action whose purpose is no longer to contain the epidemic in the hope that it peters out through quarantine but to slow its advance through the population.

Is the next stage self-isolation of the vulnerable to protect them from the infection?

Given that the disease has symptoms that can be confused with a cold or flu - and in some people no detectable symptoms at all, there are undoubtedly large numbers of infectious people unknowingly infecting others. In such a situation, would it not be a good idea to start isolating the people most likely to be killed by it?

CDC already has a list of recommendations for senior citizens.

Social distancing is the mantra for all ages to avoid community spread.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:22 pm

scbriml wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
It should not even be possible to bring deadly pathogens inside a nursing home.

The clue is in the name - nursing home. It's not a secure medical facility with biohazard protocols in place.

Then you shouldn't be surprised as what has happened.

LCDFlight

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:28 pm

I am zeroing In on calculating the true death rate of those infected by novel Coronavirus.

I am skeptical of the 2% figure. I believe this refers to an infection rate among hospitalized patients. Other influenza strains have a 0.05% fatality rate among affected (sick or infected?) PERSONS as opposed to hospitalized patients. It remains unknown whether novel Coronavirus is more deadly than the normal flu for any individual person or population.

The 2% number is truly shocking if accurate, and portends 100 million deaths assuming global infection. But this could be a case of selection bias run amok and then relentlessly beaten to death by the media. 2% of hospitalized flu patients with Coronavirus dying does not demonstrate it is more deadly than other flu strains. Need an overall infected population death rate. So far what I read is “nobody knows.”

The new strain does seem to create a coordination / timing problem for the delivery of health care. We will know more soon. I expect the panic may subside as this becomes known. Will crowds overwhelm hospitals or not... we will see in a week or two. I bet not.

Aesma

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:16 pm

Does the flu fatality rate take into account the vaccine ? Vaccinating the very people that are most likely to have a severe case has to dramatically improve the numbers.

I think what South Korea is doing with drive thru testing is interesting, and gives something like 0.65% CFR.

Comedians have already picked up on it, but I wonder why the US isn't doing the same, drive thru is your thing after all.

msnav

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I am zeroing In on calculating the true death rate of those infected by novel Coronavirus.

I am skeptical of the 2% figure. I believe this refers to an infection rate among hospitalized patients. Other influenza strains have a 0.05% fatality rate among affected (sick or infected?) PERSONS as opposed to hospitalized patients. It remains unknown whether novel Coronavirus is more deadly than the normal flu for any individual person or population.

The 2% number is truly shocking if accurate, and portends 100 million deaths assuming global infection. But this could be a case of selection bias run amok and then relentlessly beaten to death by the media. 2% of hospitalized flu patients with Coronavirus dying does not demonstrate it is more deadly than other flu strains. Need an overall infected population death rate. So far what I read is “nobody knows.”

The new strain does seem to create a coordination / timing problem for the delivery of health care. We will know more soon. I expect the panic may subside as this becomes known. Will crowds overwhelm hospitals or not... we will see in a week or two. I bet not.

Key distinction here, Coronavirus is not a strain of flu so it can and will behave differently than the flu.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Is there any news from the drugs trials that are going on? It is awfully quiet on that front.

art

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Merkel says 70% of Germans could get coronavirus

"You have to understand that if the virus is there, and the population has no immunity yet to this virus, there are no vaccines and no therapy so far, a high percentage - experts say 60 to 70 percent - of the population will be infected," Merkel said at a news conference in Berlin.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 16410.html

UK experts foresee possible 60%-80% infection rate. German experts foresee possible 60%-70% infection rate.

I do not understand UK entities talking of a peak in cases by the end of March. UK infections reported are <500 today.

wingman

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Yes, we're different. That's why we have fewer cases of the virus. We're different..and more resistant. I don't think the cases reporting has anything to do with testing or the piss poor government preparation and funding for this kind of event. It's amazing how many Americans shit on the government and then one day they wake to realize how much they need its help. You get what you vote for, and you get what you don't pay for.

Aaron747

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:16 pm

slider wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Yes.

#WuhanMediaVirus

Rep. Green is that you...?? I thought I just saw you grandstanding in the Congressional hearing on TV right now, instead of obtaining factual responses from the medical professionals testifying this morning.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm

I also wonder if Mass Tourism is in part to blame.
If you have thousands upon thousands of infected Chinese tourists visiting Italy all over, it is no wonder that Italians are now grappling with a crisis of unprecedented proportions.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:30 pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ronavirus/

This is the story of how Evergreen Hospital east of Lake Union (Bellevue/Kirkland) discovered that Coronavirus was running amok in Washington State. Blame, so far as that word is used, is that testing was not available. At practically the first hour testing was made available, they availed themselves of it and sent two cases to be tested. And they were ready, with well trained people and medical supplies that had been 'hoarded'.

theaviator380

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
If you have thousands upon thousands of infected Chinese tourists visiting Italy all over, it is no wonder that Italians are now grappling with a crisis of unprecedented proportions.

Bang on ! I get your point and valid too.

Sounds harsh but partly Italy govt to blame at too, knowing initial outbreak in Wuhan, all countries should have taken strict action towards allowing people from China (not only Wuhan, whole China) to enter in their country especially for tourist and business travelers. Action was taken too late imho and that created lot of mess in Italy followed by rest EU countries, UK and US. Immediate suspension of all visas and personnel should have prevented this mess......hindsight is always beautiful !

Apparently I read somewhere, Italy is the one of the most popular tourist destination for Chinese people.

I am so gutted, haven't seen my sister for last 4 years and I was supposed to in Apr but have to cancel my plans as I cannot afford to take risk for number of reasons...Absolutely furious at this situation !

kalvado

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Aesma wrote:
Does the flu fatality rate take into account the vaccine ? Vaccinating the very people that are most likely to have a severe case has to dramatically improve the numbers.

I think what South Korea is doing with drive thru testing is interesting, and gives something like 0.65% CFR.

Comedians have already picked up on it, but I wonder why the US isn't doing the same, drive thru is your thing after all.

Here is today's post from US version of Dr. Lee:
https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1237612761263140864
No, quick testing will not happen in US for bureaucratic reasons. Same reasons US failed at infection spread.

Uninvited rant: agencies supposed to protect people - like OSHA, CDC, FAA, EPA - became bureaucratic monsters with the only goal of hindering everything..

LCDFlight

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Aesma wrote:

Good point- a lot of old folks get their flu shot for this reason.

And yes, drive thru testing (mandatory checkpoint at random) is the way to measure population infection rate, or population anything.

0.65 is still a REALLY high number. It means 1 million deaths in the USA this year from this. My belief is more like 0.02%, or out of nearly 200 million exposed/infected, something like 40,000 deaths. Significant, but impossible to prevent, after the mistakes at China Virology Institute Wuhan (apologies for the US numbers).
Last edited by LCDFlight on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ElPistolero

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

More likely business travel, seeing as it affected the colder, more industrialized part of the country rather than tourist-heavy centres like Florence and Rome. Or the warmer south.

Chinese tourists have been everywhere over the past 3 months - especially in high density cities like London and Paris. And yet only Milan and Venice took a hammering. My money is that it has more to do with the widespread generally careless attitude on display 2 weeks ago:

“Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio and Health Minister Roberto Speranza appeared before foreign journalists in Rome to blame overblown media coverage for travel advisories warning visitors to stay away, event cancellations and special border screenings for people coming from hard-hit northern Italy.

“In Italy, we've gone from an epidemic risk to an ‘info-demic' of confirmed disinformation, which at this moment is hitting our flow of tourists, our business and our whole economic system,” Di Maio said.”

In essence, the Health Minister publicly said “nothing to see here”. The people took their cue from him, and 2 weeks and 9400 cases later, we can begin to see where it went all wrong.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... g-69254949

I think it will become evident soon that although this virus probably originated in China, Italy’s handling of it was a (if not the) key catalyst in its global spread.
Last edited by ElPistolero on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvado

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
0.65 is still a REALLY high number. It means 1 million deaths in the USA this year from this. My belief is more like 0.02%, or out of nearly 200 million exposed/infected, something like 40,000 deaths. Significant, but impossible to prevent, after the mistakes at China Virology Institute Wuhan (apologies for the US numbers).

You spelling of "Centers for Disease Control" has multiple typos

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm

theaviator380 wrote:
Bang on ! I get your point and valid too.

Sounds harsh but partly Italy govt to blame at too, knowing initial outbreak in Wuhan, all countries should have taken strict action towards allowing people from China (not only Wuhan, whole China) to enter in their country especially for tourist and business travelers. Action was taken too late imho and that created lot of mess in Italy followed by rest EU countries, UK and US. Immediate suspension of all visas and personnel should have prevented this mess......hindsight is always beautiful !

Apparently I read somewhere, Italy is the one of the most popular tourist destination for Chinese people.

I am so gutted, haven't seen my sister for last 4 years and I was supposed to in Apr but have to cancel my plans as I cannot afford to take risk for number of reasons...Absolutely furious at this situation !

Funny that Italy was actually one of the very few countries in Europe that block entries for Chinese tourists during the early days of outbreak. It didn't take much for the outbreak to explode there either way, though.

slider wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Yes.

#WuhanMediaVirus

Except when an outbreak does explode, it just explode.

Can you imagined 10000+ cases in Italy with a few hundred death just two weeks ago? No.

Better be safe than sorry. China did it when they literally shut down the country for a month. Italy is now in that phrase where they decided that short-term loss is better for the long-term.

bennett123

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:28 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51649897

What's happening with testing?
Mr Pence has said one million tests are available in all state labs. So far fewer than 10,000 people have been tested - compared to 20,000 per day in South Korea.
The administration has also granted labs permission to develop and use their own diagnostic tests even as they are being reviewed by the national drug agency.
Critics say the shortage of test and facilities has contributed to the community spread of the virus and some have raised doubts that health officials can meet the demand for more tests.
The CDC said it had tested 1,583 people for the virus as of 5 March.
The tests themselves have also had problems. Last month, some health centres noted difficulties using CDC tests. Kits developed at the CDC's lab in Atlanta were contaminated, Axios reported. Officials say the manufacturing issues have since been resolved.

This part really caught my eye.

Also;

President Donald Trump has claimed the situation is "well under control", while officials at the Centres for Disease Control (CDC) warn the virus will spread and may severely disrupt daily life.

How can this be 'well under control'. I think that I am more likely to trust CDC.

LittleFokker

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2 ... oronavirus

Chicago cancels all 3 St Patrick's Day parades out of fear of the v̶i̶r̶u̶s̶ lawsuits. Annual dyeing of the river "postponed," though I can't think of another time to do it.

mham001

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm

kalvado wrote:
mham001 wrote:
I am in Ground Zero for California. Waiting for the schools to close, (my district is 75% Asian - ~15% Chinese, mostly nationals), then we will head up to the mountain and get away, since everything will be closed anyway.

My main gripe about this is that they have been reporting these cases and they all started with one person, but they won't give names of those infected so that we can all determine if we may or may not have been exposed. They will only say "X people in Santa Clara County are infected". This information was worthless without names. Now it's too late as "Containment" did not work and they have moved on to "Mitigation". No doubt medical privacy plays the big role here but we lose rights in other ways for this, (quarantined cruise ships), the right to medical privacy should not inhibit the well-being of the rest.

Medical privacy. They should attempt to contact from the root, though - call those who work at same locations, etc. If you do know their names, they likely know yours.
Maybe less than ideal for what you're looking for, but there are good reasons to keep things less than public.

What are those reasons? Reasons that trump the good of the rest of society? We have already eliminated rights for some we suspect may have been exposed, why would the public knowledge in the early days that Lang Wang in Cupertino has it and spread it to....... be more detrimental than eventually shutting down the county for a month?

scbriml

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
It should not even be possible to bring deadly pathogens inside a nursing home.

The clue is in the name - nursing home. It's not a secure medical facility with biohazard protocols in place.

Then you shouldn't be surprised as what has happened.

I'm not. :shakehead:

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51839944

Took WHO long enough to finally call nCoV (CoVID-19, Wuhan Pneumonia, whatever you want to call it) what it is - a pandemic.

At this point, it's almost a "WHO cares" (Pun intended).

United787

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:48 pm

I predict the US will see a major increase in the next 7-14 days due to tens of thousands college kids coming home early from their study abroad programs in Europe. These kids were not just tourists passing through Europe, they were living in Europe. Now, they are coming home in huge numbers, not being tested or quarantined at the border, living in tight communal living environments and/or going to back to home to love with their families because their colleges are shut down. And even if they wanted to be tested, they are not because there STILL aren't enough testing kits and the criteria is too high.

kalvado

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:53 pm

mham001 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
mham001 wrote:
I am in Ground Zero for California. Waiting for the schools to close, (my district is 75% Asian - ~15% Chinese, mostly nationals), then we will head up to the mountain and get away, since everything will be closed anyway.

My main gripe about this is that they have been reporting these cases and they all started with one person, but they won't give names of those infected so that we can all determine if we may or may not have been exposed. They will only say "X people in Santa Clara County are infected". This information was worthless without names. Now it's too late as "Containment" did not work and they have moved on to "Mitigation". No doubt medical privacy plays the big role here but we lose rights in other ways for this, (quarantined cruise ships), the right to medical privacy should not inhibit the well-being of the rest.

Medical privacy. They should attempt to contact from the root, though - call those who work at same locations, etc. If you do know their names, they likely know yours.
Maybe less than ideal for what you're looking for, but there are good reasons to keep things less than public.

What are those reasons? Reasons that trump the good of the rest of society? We have already eliminated rights for some we suspect may have been exposed, why would the public knowledge in the early days that Lang Wang in Cupertino has it and spread it to....... be more detrimental than eventually shutting down the county for a month?

You want to change some fundamental laws of medical privacy. Trump is barely a player here, these are millennia old questions.
Recent examples may include HIV patients, who can live their normal lives with minimal chance of spreading disease, but people are still afraid of them.
More confidence between doctor and patient is the other aspect - my boss and my wife may be less than thrilled finding out that I got something from that fair lady who is... sorry, you are not a doctor. Or people may be ashamed of other circumstances for zillion reasons.
Maybe a good start for reading: https://connectedworld.com/five-reasons ... important/

theaviator380

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

mham001 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

You are the primary source of hysteria in this thread. Where are you from?

theaviator380 wrote:

!

Many are pointing the finger at a German company which suffered an outbreak way back in January. Some say it was the same variation now going around Italy. https://www.autonews.com/suppliers/weba ... s-outbreak

Wow just wow....this is why I have fekin screaming since January since outbreak in Wuhan, all business n tourist should have been banned with immediate effect....no one had balls to do then...and now common people like us are at risk !

CitizenJustin

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:23 pm

bennett123 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51649897

What's happening with testing?
Mr Pence has said one million tests are available in all state labs. So far fewer than 10,000 people have been tested - compared to 20,000 per day in South Korea.
The administration has also granted labs permission to develop and use their own diagnostic tests even as they are being reviewed by the national drug agency.
Critics say the shortage of test and facilities has contributed to the community spread of the virus and some have raised doubts that health officials can meet the demand for more tests.
The CDC said it had tested 1,583 people for the virus as of 5 March.
The tests themselves have also had problems. Last month, some health centres noted difficulties using CDC tests. Kits developed at the CDC's lab in Atlanta were contaminated, Axios reported. Officials say the manufacturing issues have since been resolved.

This part really caught my eye.

Also;

President Donald Trump has claimed the situation is "well under control", while officials at the Centres for Disease Control (CDC) warn the virus will spread and may severely disrupt daily life.

How can this be 'well under control'. I think that I am more likely to trust CDC.

Government officials always say that in outbreak and zombie films too. Everything is fine, no need to worry. Of course that’s fiction, but it’s based on how irresponsible governments would act.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:28 pm

So no news on all these drug tests that are going on?

art

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Qatar had 24 reported cases yesterday, Today that has risen by a factor of 10 to 262. Is that plausible or does it suggest that data collection is very unreliable?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Last edited by art on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lugie

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Also;

His only priority in this crisis are the optics of the outbreak and how it's going to make him look.
This has become obvious over the last days. He believes that by just talking the issue away, it will disappear.

Newsflash: It will not, and quite frankly, his supporter base probably are the people who are among the most at risk: Many from rather poor rural counties, maybe uninsured, and pretty old on average.

He had a good approach in the beginning, when he reacted swiftly but it seems now that this was only because the initially adequate reaction (closing borders, restricting foreign entries) fit into his nationalist ideology.

By now he has completely lost control of the situation.
While I obviously hope for the sake of the American people that this crisis will end quickly, I also hope that if it does escalate, it will politically break his neck.

He isn't called "Teflon Don" for no reason, so far no scandal has seemed to hurt him but this might be different because American lives and likely a lot his follower's lives will be directly impacted. Nobody really cared whether he actually held back $400 million in military aid to Ukraine but if his botched approaches at testing and information costs 1-2% of the 60% of the population infected (1 - 4 million people) their lives, they will care.
Then again, who knows which spin he and his Fox News pravda will put on the whole situation...

anshabhi

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:34 pm

India has completely banned all non-essential international travel to and from India.

Tourist visas for all Foreigners stand cancelled and Indians will be quarantined for 14 days on return from foreign countries

lugie

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:42 pm

art wrote:
Qatar had 24 reported cases yesterday, Today that has risen by a factor of 10 to 262. Is that plausible or does it suggest that data collection is very unreliable?

I would attribute it to this, or to changing standards at who to test (which may be determined by stuff like the availability of kits), i.e. maybe their availability increased and they offered tests to people further down the contact chains of previously infected people, thus finding more cases.

Given the characteristics of the virus (high percentage of asymptomatic cases / cases with light symptoms), the number of cases confirmed is more or less a directly proportional function of the number of people you test.

Which, for example, explains why as per that same page right now, 18:40 CET, the US (at about 130x the population of Qatar) has only confirmed 22 new cases so far today.

theaviator380

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 pm

anshabhi wrote:
India has completely banned all non-essential international travel to and from India.

Tourist visas for all Foreigners stand cancelled and Indians will be quarantined for 14 days on return from foreign countries

Add OCI holders to that, they are banned as well irrespective of which country you originate from. This is until 15th April if I am not wrong...

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:47 pm

People panicking is doing for more harm to us all than the virus ever could. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Aesma

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:48 pm

art wrote:

Maybe they just started testing ?

cjg225

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 pm

One of our facilities in North Carolina just turned away a truck driver because he answered "yes" to our COVID-19 questionnaire that he has a runny nose and cough.

The questionnaire also has questions like, "Have you been in close contact with a known or suspected case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days?" Honestly, how the hell are we expecting anyone to even know the answer to this even assuming no one lies? And "Have you been in an area of current COVID-19 outbreak in the last 14 days?" Again, how the hell are drivers going to know this?

There's a COVID-19 case in the same county as another one of our manufacturing plants that ships to that plant in NC. Soooooo.... are we going to prohibit all shipments between those two plants because there's a case in the same county as the one plant? That question is sitting with a VP right now who said that we need to look at the county level for geographic "area" in that question.

Can't wait to see how this comes out....

seb146

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm

lugie wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Also;

His only priority in this crisis are the optics of the outbreak and how it's going to make him look.
This has become obvious over the last days. He believes that by just talking the issue away, it will disappear.

Newsflash: It will not, and quite frankly, his supporter base probably are the people who are among the most at risk: Many from rather poor rural counties, maybe uninsured, and pretty old on average.

He had a good approach in the beginning, when he reacted swiftly but it seems now that this was only because the initially adequate reaction (closing borders, restricting foreign entries) fit into his nationalist ideology.

By now he has completely lost control of the situation.
While I obviously hope for the sake of the American people that this crisis will end quickly, I also hope that if it does escalate, it will politically break his neck.

He isn't called "Teflon Don" for no reason, so far no scandal has seemed to hurt him but this might be different because American lives and likely a lot his follower's lives will be directly impacted. Nobody really cared whether he actually held back $400 million in military aid to Ukraine but if his botched approaches at testing and information costs 1-2% of the 60% of the population infected (1 - 4 million people) their lives, they will care.
Then again, who knows which spin he and his Fox News pravda will put on the whole situation...

He is telling health officials that meetings about the virus in the United States are classified

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20Y2LM
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/p ... classified

JJJ

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

More like the Chinese-staffed pronto moda quasi-sweatshops.

dtw2hyd

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
He is telling health officials that meetings about the virus in the United States are classified

That's a good one. He always brings cheer even to the worst possible situation.

seb146

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:21 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I know! It is wonderful that health officials and viral pathologists are not allowed to attend these meetings! /sarcasm

JetBuddy

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Norway now has 584 confirmed infected. That's more than in Great Britain and almost as many as in Japan. But we're only 5.4 million people.

So taking into account the size of the population, Norway is the 4th hardest hit country on the planet, worse than China and Iran.

Our health care system is going to collapse within one week from now. We've had an 50% increase in cases per day for a few days now. :cry:

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:59 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
People panicking is doing for more harm to us all than the virus ever could. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Uncertainties make people do stupid things. And this won't be the last time that happen.

But otherwise, panicking is one thing, hoarding necessities as if it's end of the world is another. As some officials (IIRC) already said - hoarding things for oneself doesn't help anything - as it just mean somebody else won't have the necessary protections.

seb146 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I know! It is wonderful that health officials and viral pathologists are not allowed to attend these meetings! /sarcasm

Come on...everything is fine and dandy, it's under control! MAGA!

Not trying to go too political, but quite frankly, Trump has this great chance to show how good he can respond to uncertainties and crisis (which he have yet to face one in his "presidency"). So far, he's doing nothing more than making sure everyone panic.

P.S. My employer also just sent out travel restriction (including domestically in US) for rest of March and April. Better safe than sorry I guess...

Cadet985

Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Now the NCAA March Madness Tournament will be played in front of empty stands.

People are seriously overreacting to this.

Marc

dampfnudel

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
Now the NCAA March Madness Tournament will be played in front of empty stands.

People are seriously overreacting to this.

Marc

Time will tell. It’s quite possible you’ll be singing a different tune 2-4 weeks from now. Part of me hopes you’re right, but I think it was inevitable that we would eventually experience a pandemic reminiscent of the Spanish Flu at some point this century.