Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gatibosgru

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
President Trump to address the U.S. at 9pm tonight.

Now would be a good time to declare war on China. They're at their most vulnerable with the least amount of allies. Get it over with.

What a fantastic thought. Hope you're a front line volunteer.
@DadCelo

northstardc4m

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:47 am

dampfnudel wrote:
The NBA has suspended the season after tonight’s games.

Yea... right as I'm at a G-League game with at least 1 Raptor on the court who was in Utah on Monday. I'm not worried... :scared:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:52 am

You can't extrapolate from likely total infection rate to virus positive testing rate to seriously ill rate to intensive care rate to death rate. Each jump includes different assumptions. The extrapolation is a possible but improbable worst case. The 1% death rate needs to be carefully defined. Just as the Washington State c30 died, less than 300 confirmed cases does not compute to a 10% death date. It is serious, but not that serious.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 am

Cadet985 wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
Now the NCAA March Madness Tournament will be played in front of empty stands.

People are seriously overreacting to this.

Marc

Time will tell. It’s quite possible you’ll be singing a different tune 2-4 weeks from now. Part of me hopes you’re right, but I think it was inevitable that we would eventually experience a pandemic reminiscent of the Spanish Flu at some point this century.

Total Confirmed Cases

Total Deceased

Total Serious

Total Recovered

114⁄195
Total Countries Infected

This data is from https://ncov2019.live/

I look at those numbers, and I’m just not seeing the cause for panic. I’d be willing to bet you that if information could be released, NYC (for example) has far more cases of the seasonal flu. I don’t see any need to alter my lifestyle/plans, and I think the media is trying to scare us.

125,863 confirmed cases out of a global population of 7.55 billion (global population was gotten from Siri). That comes out to 0.001798% of the population infected.

Marc

SARS was 8000 or so cases. For perspective.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
You can't extrapolate from likely total infection rate to virus positive testing rate to seriously ill rate to intensive care rate to death rate. Each jump includes different assumptions. The extrapolation is a possible but improbable worst case. The 1% death rate needs to be carefully defined. Just as the Washington State c30 died, less than 300 confirmed cases does not compute to a 10% death date. It is serious, but not that serious.

Death rate is estimated at 20 per 1,000 cases, but lack of test kits could mean there are far more cases than we are aware of. Flu is like 1 per 1000 and I think SARS was 10 per 1000.

BigBazza

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 am

Isn't the Death rate equal to the outcome. Of those that get the virus, they either recover or die, right.. So currently combined closed cases is 72,919, of which 4,633 deaths is 6.35%. So basically 6% of those that contract it will die, unless the recovery rate starts to increase.

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 am

mdsh00 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Trump is banning all Travel to Europe, even while lying about the European response. Yet he is not applying the restrictions to the UK who are just as deep in it as we are.

Opening up some treatment options which is ok, but still a late turnaround for "not an issue"

Yeah I don't get this. It's not hard to travel between the UK and mainland Europe.

That little booklet they call a passport works pretty well for determining where you’ve been and if you should be allowed to head to the US.

trpmb6

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 am

BigBazza wrote:
Isn't the Death rate equal to the outcome. Of those that get the virus, they either recover or die, right.. So currently combined closed cases is 72,919, of which 4,633 deaths is 6.35%. So basically 6% of those that contract it will die, unless the recovery rate starts to increase.

Only if you know how many are infected. Models are built based on known transmission rates to estimate total infected #s and is still only based on rough estimates. And when you have more than one strain it complicates things.

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:11 am

BigBazza wrote:

Correct, but the rate is pretty dang high in areas that have been doing more testing. Was talking to a friend about this today who is a retired doctor. There are several major concerns from people he’s talked to about it... no vaccine for now, doesn’t appear to fade like the flu does in warmer weather, lingers once airborne (person sneezes in a room and it doesn’t immediately dissipate like the flu), hard to test with lack of kits, multiple strands with possible mutations occurring, and they don’t know how many died from what people thought was just the regular flu tied to pneumonia etc...over 60 are the most vulnerable.

Nasty stuff.

CaptHadley

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 am

DL717 wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Trump is banning all Travel to Europe, even while lying about the European response. Yet he is not applying the restrictions to the UK who are just as deep in it as we are.

Opening up some treatment options which is ok, but still a late turnaround for "not an issue"

Yeah I don't get this. It's not hard to travel between the UK and mainland Europe.

That little booklet they call a passport works pretty well for determining where you’ve been and if you should be allowed to head to the US.

Shhhh, little secret. You can have more than one passport. A guy named Manafort had three.. Why would he need three I wonder?

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:17 am

CaptHadley wrote:
DL717 wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:

Shhhh, little secret. You can have more than one passport. A guy named Manafort had three.. Why would he need three I wonder?

Try to stay on topic.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:50 am

Still having major WH messaging issues post-45 address.

POTUS said insurers agreed to waive copays for COVID treatment, and the insurers’ biggest lobby clarified right after waivers are for tests only:

https://twitter.com/owermohle/status/12 ... 14658?s=21

POTUS said he has stopped all travel from Europe ex UK, DHS has to quickly issue a clarification this did not apply to US citizens and permanent residents:

https://twitter.com/homelandken/status/ ... 33794?s=21

POTUS himself also had to personally clarify there is not a halt on cargo/trade.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 69954?s=21

Who in sam hell is running communications and PR in that building???

A Marketwatch contributor has opined this is an important time to resign:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-t ... 2020-03-11
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:53 am

BigBazza wrote:

Some people are recovering in days, others weeks, some seem to have serious and maybe permanent lung damage. Also total infections may be multiples over 73K.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

BigBazza

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
BigBazza wrote:

Some people are recovering in days, others weeks, some seem to have serious and maybe permanent lung damage. Also total infections may be multiples over 73K.

I get that numbers may be a lot larger than anyone knows, but this is true for infected, recovered and died. So based on what we do know, for those that we know have it, there is a 93.7% recovery rate.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:20 am

casinterest wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
The NBA has suspended the season after tonight’s games.

The economic shockwave is going to be worse than the actual disease by the time this is all done.

This is why at least half of pandemic planning focuses on mitigating economic damage. It's also why in the beginning the WHO kept going on about how placing travel restrictions was unnecessary even though in the early days it was actually essential to containing this thing- their pandemic planning steered them towards focusing on preventing economic damage, especially if this was to be a false alarm (it wasn't).
情報

JetBuddy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:11 am

casinterest wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

He's not lying about the European response. The EU should have closed all external borders weeks ago. It failed to do so, despite plenty of warnings. Now we see the consequences. Border controls are popping up inside Europe again, but it's too late. The situation is already out of control.

We already had it in the US from China. Closing down to Europe could have happened weeks ago if this wasn't just a nothing as Trump claimed.

The situation in Europe is getting exponentially worse by the minute, and is about the same scale that China was when the travel ban to China was implemented.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:15 am

JetBuddy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

He's not lying about the European response. The EU should have closed all external borders weeks ago. It failed to do so, despite plenty of warnings. Now we see the consequences. Border controls are popping up inside Europe again, but it's too late. The situation is already out of control.

We already had it in the US from China. Closing down to Europe could have happened weeks ago if this wasn't just a nothing as Trump claimed.

The situation in Europe is getting exponentially worse by the minute, and is about the same scale that China was when the travel ban to China was implemented.

US seniors go out to eat and socialize a lot - we will likely see similar numbers in a couple weeks’ time with the number of domestic clusters already active. Inadequate testing has already guaranteed the required level of early social distancing has not been met.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Cadet985

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:53 am

I’m confused (not that it takes much to confuse me). A friend in Israel sent me this:

“The restrictions, meant to combat the spread of the coronavirus, do not apply to legal permanent residents of the United States, nor does it generally apply to immediate family members of American citizens, DHS said in a statement.

DHS acting Secretary Chad Wolf said in the statement he plans to issue a notice in the next 48 hours that would require U.S. passengers who have been in Schengen Area countries to travel through select airports with enhanced screening.”

https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics ... IVE-620627

So do the restrictions impact an American who is traveling to Europe now?

Marc

seahawk

Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:57 am

Good to see Trump in full control of the situation.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 am

seahawk wrote:

Yes, just in all the wrong ways. Scathing assessment here from a speechwriter for 43:

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607867/

marcelh

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:49 am

I might completely missed it, but what about a traveling ban from Japan and Korea to the US? Tjose aren't Corona free either.....

Aaron747

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am

marcelh wrote:
I might completely missed it, but what about a traveling ban from Japan and Korea to the US? Tjose aren't Corona free either.....

Oopsie, that would require logic or reason.

dampfnudel

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:59 am

marcelh wrote:

I don’t know about South Korea, but it looks like we may getting closer to one with Japan as they struggle with the outbreak.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

MareBorealis

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 am

seahawk wrote:

Full control? ;) Following his logic Schengen Europe is a Bad Hombre but you do realize UK and Ireland have corona as well...? And Japan, Korea.

noviorbis77

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 am

This ban on flights and travel to the USA from the Schengen area, is going to put a lot of pressure on UK and ROI airports as some may try to transit here.

seahawk

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
This ban on flights and travel to the USA from the Schengen area, is going to put a lot of pressure on UK and ROI airports as some may try to transit here.

Imho the UK mist close its borders to the Schengen area too, to protect the citizens of the UK.

noviorbis77

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:08 am

seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Imho the UK mist close its borders to the Schengen area too, to protect the citizens of the UK.

I am not sure that is fully necessary, thinking about it. Countries like Poland do not have a significant number. We should be screening passengers pre-departure.

seahawk

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 am

Due to the incubation time, this is not effective. The only effective measures are refusing entry or putting persons into quarantine for at least 2 full weeks.

M564038

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am

Thats how we were thinking 1 week ago.
Now we are closing schools and kindergardens, and people are urged to stay at home if it is not 100% to move outside. We will be in total close down by the start of the next work week.

Pre-screening passengers? LOL! You had to start that in january.

noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

I am not sure that is fully necessary, thinking about it. Countries like Poland do not have a significant number. We should be screening passengers pre-departure.

bgm

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am

DL717 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Try to stay on topic.

Not to mention that EU passport holders have no stamp travelling around the EU (including UK/ROI/non-Schengen). You don't even need to travel with a passport, you can use your ID card.
Hires only the best people... lol

aloges

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 am

DL717 wrote:

Nice of you to clarify that you don’t travel internationally, but still have big opinions on it.

A passport is useless for this purpose. Looking at mine, a border guard would be able to determine when I entered several countries, but not when I left them. If you knew the first thing about international travel, you would know that lots of countries (including, for decades, the US) do not apply departure stamps.

Then, there is passport-free travel. I could go to dozens of countries and not need to bring more than my ID card.

Nowadays, even if you do have to bring your passport, you often do not receive a stamp during immigration. Automated passport control has made them a thing of the past for many travellers and especially avid frequent travellers to the US who use Global Entry; i.e. potential super spreaders.

Frankly, my Apple wallet holds an infinitely better air travel history than my passports.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

noviorbis77

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am

It is an odd one given how little the UK government has done in relation to CoVID19.

Dutchy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:34 am

Amazing how many tests have been conducted in South Korea and Guangdong, China and how little test have been conducted in America.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:35 am

KFLLCFII wrote:

Now would be a good time to declare war on China. They're at their most vulnerable with the least amount of allies. Get it over with.

Where do you think almost all of the medicines used on hospital crash carts are made? China and India is the answer, so go to war with China destroy all there infrastructure and watch injured US service personal die because you just destroyed the manufacturing base for most of the medicines used in emergency triage rooms.

There is a precedent for this 80% of the US's supply of IV bags were made in Puerto Rico, the Baxter manufacturing facilities were damaged by Hurricane Maria, the US ran out of IV bags, people died.

https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/hos ... ia/511048/

FatCat

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am

So since this morning all the businesses are closed - well not all, but most. Supermarkets and Pharmacies are open.
Apart from bars, pubs, restaurants, that were already closed since monday, or have to operate under strict sanitary rules and until 6 pm, now every other business is closed.
As already since Tuesday, going around, by car, by feet and by every other mean of transport, public or private, without a justified cause (work, health issues, groceries) is considered a felony and it is punished with 3 months of jail and a fine of € 206,-
Already a hundred people are being persecuted for erraticly walking, driving or taking the bus etc.
I am pretty scared, I have been in high tension situations already but this thing shakes me a lot.
Keep us in your thoughts
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Aesma

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am

MoonC wrote:
The number of cases in Italy alone has risen by 2313, deaths by 196, all in the last 24 hours.

If you people are willing to take your chances, feel free to move.

Meanwhile, Berlusconi has moved to France...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

melpax

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 am

So looks like Tom Hanks is the highest profile victim so far.

Rita Wilson appeared on a morning talk show on Monday. Both the hosts are now in self-quarantine for 14 days, so the network will need to find 2 new hosts in the meantime....

Also as a diabetic, Tom would be in a high risk category, probably most likely why he's in hospital...

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/movie ... 549dj.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

theaviator380

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 am

melpax wrote:

Rita Wilson appeared on a morning talk show on Monday. Both the hosts are now in self-quarantine for 14 days, so the network will need to find 2 new hosts in the meantime....

Also as a diabetic, Tom would be in a high risk category, probably most likely why he's in hospital...

Juventus Football club first team player - Danile Rugani has also tested positive ! Ronaldo is in quarantine in his home town - Madeira in Portugal.

Any possible reasons, how come Portugal have not affected? Its a popular tourist destination..

Dutchy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am

theaviator380 wrote:
melpax wrote:

Juventus Football club first team player - Danile Rugani has also tested positive ! Ronaldo is in quarantine in his home town - Madeira in Portugal.

Any possible reasons, how come Portugal have not affected? Its a popular tourist destination..

What do you mean? 59 confirmed so far in Portugal: http://coronamap.org/

Aesma

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Still having major WH messaging issues post-45 address.

POTUS said insurers agreed to waive copays for COVID treatment, and the insurers’ biggest lobby clarified right after waivers are for tests only:

https://twitter.com/owermohle/status/12 ... 14658?s=21

POTUS said he has stopped all travel from Europe ex UK, DHS has to quickly issue a clarification this did not apply to US citizens and permanent residents:

https://twitter.com/homelandken/status/ ... 33794?s=21

POTUS himself also had to personally clarify there is not a halt on cargo/trade.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/sta ... 69954?s=21

Who in sam hell is running communications and PR in that building???

A Marketwatch contributor has opined this is an important time to resign:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-t ... 2020-03-11

Markets crashing this morning in Europe, apparently half of it due to the utter confusion coming from POTUS.

If true, they might crater in the US.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 am

FatCat wrote:
So since this morning all the businesses are closed - well not all, but most. Supermarkets and Pharmacies are open.
Apart from bars, pubs, restaurants, that were already closed since monday, or have to operate under strict sanitary rules and until 6 pm, now every other business is closed.
As already since Tuesday, going around, by car, by feet and by every other mean of transport, public or private, without a justified cause (work, health issues, groceries) is considered a felony and it is punished with 3 months of jail and a fine of € 206,-
Already a hundred people are being persecuted for erraticly walking, driving or taking the bus etc.
I am pretty scared, I have been in high tension situations already but this thing shakes me a lot.
Keep us in your thoughts

You and all Italians are in our thoughts. But don't overreact about it. Take the recommended precautions, sure, but over-reaction doesn't help anyone.

Aesma

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:14 am

KFLLCFII wrote:

You need a good reason to declare war, what is it ?

Lately even for "justified" wars the US hasn't declared it, as the reason wasn't good enough.

Then you need a plan and an objective. Do you plan to invade China, and manage 1,5 billion people ?

theaviator380

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:18 am

Dutchy wrote:
theaviator380 wrote:
melpax wrote:

I meant not severely compared to Spain, France, Germany and of course Italy.

M564038

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 am

There is just days before it has hit severly there as well.

theaviator380 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
theaviator380 wrote:

I meant not severely compared to Spain, France, Germany and of course Italy.

M564038

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 am

We are closing schools, business are telling people to work from home, they are considering closing airports etc. We are in full lock down any day/hour now.

It is just what it takes to put the brakes on this thing, as has been shown in china.
And we are even a few days late doing this.

Hospitals can reduce lethality drastically as best practices improve and resources aren’t stretched. This is why we do these things.
Do we want 0,01% dead or do we want 3%?

The actions every country takes within the next few days, counted from last week in most of europe, and a few days ago in the US will decide this.

This is where people like Trump really are starting to cost lifes.

theaviator380

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am

Imagine if this had originated in EU to begin with? would have been carnage I think...China due to their draconian (but effective) laws/rules/ways managed to curb it down (if reports are true) ! EU have been so slow to react to this despite of all warning and witnessing Wuhan...unbelievable. This is as good as for short term gain, suffering long terms losses now !

art

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am

One problem with trying to assess the level of infection is that it is a bit like looking at the stars. Most are too faint to see.

I am thinking of Hubei here and using rough figures.

Population: 60,000,000
Infections reported: 60,000

That is 1 person in 1,000 visibly being infected. I wonder how that relates to invisible infections. 5 invisible infections for each visible? 10? 100?

I hazard that this unknown relationship between the visible and invisible makes it incredibly difficult for governments to know the extent of infection and how to react.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:03 am

Great action by President Trump, closing its doors to Europe was long overdue. Europe decided not to place travel bans when the US did, and look where they are. These bans help us buy time.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

FCAFLYBOY

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:07 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Great action by President Trump, closing its doors to Europe was long overdue. Europe decided not to place travel bans when the US did, and look where they are. These bans help us buy time.

Sorry but what utter nonsense you're spouting. the USA is still, and has continued to allow many flights from China, Japan, Korea etc to land multiple times per day since the outbreak became global news. How many from the Diamond Princess went un-noticed for example? Remember the repatriation flight where the US government KNEW there were people on-board that has tested positive, but flew anyway?

Get your facts straight. The EU is not responsible for the global outbreak, let's all stop blaming each other. Chinese tourists have largely been accountable for this contagion spreading to Europe and across the world.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 am

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Sorry but what utter nonsense you're spouting. the USA is still, and has continued to allow many flights from China, Japan, Korea etc to land multiple times per day since the outbreak became global news. How many from the Diamond Princess went un-noticed for example? Remember the repatriation flight where the US government KNEW there were people on-board that has tested positive, but flew anyway?

Get your facts straight. The EU is not responsible for the global outbreak, let's all stop blaming each other. Chinese tourists have largely been accountable for this contagion spreading to Europe and across the world.

There are travel restrictions to all of those places already

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... eb-29.html

The EU is responsible, the vast number of cases imported to the US are from Europe
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister