Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

noviorbis77

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Should we call COVID-19 the Babyboomer Virus? After all, it is mostly the elderly that suffer from it.

yes, now, it mostly effects the elderly, although the strain in Italy seems to affect younger people a bit more. Don't kid yourself, with the Spanish flue - 1917/18, that was the case as well. The next northern. winter it came back and affected everyone equally.

It could kill anyone with an underlying health condition. Regardless of age.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:10 pm

marcelh wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
It is easy to work from home...IF THERE ACTUALLY IS POWER! Guess what, there is a power outage AGAIN in Metro Boston.
It happens so often every year, I start to think I live in a third world country.

But you're still able to post here :bigthumbsup:

Fully charged cell phone using the only functioning 4G tower ;)

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:35 pm

art wrote:
Closing schools - a good idea?

I wonder if closing schools is actually likely to exacerbate things.

Firstly, children appear to be very little affected when they catch the virus. Secondly, if children stop spending the day at school, they will need adult supervision. Who is going to supervise them? Not the parents if both work away from home. I think many will be supervised by grandparents, a vulnerable group in terms of age, Since children may be asymptomatic when infected, they may not appear to present a threat to their grandparents yet may still infect them. Perhaps closing schools will actually increase demands on health services, since the elderly are the most likely to need intensive care when infected by COVID-19.

One also have to take into consider that health care staff also have children that goes to pre-school and/or school. If you close pre-schools and schools then you will heavily increase
the strain on the health care since lots of staff have to stay home to take care of their children.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

yonahleung

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 pm

art wrote:

Firstly, children appear to be very little affected when they catch the virus. Secondly, if children stop spending the day at school, they will need adult supervision. Who is going to supervise them? Not the parents if both work away from home. I think many will be supervised by grandparents, a vulnerable group in terms of age, Since children may be asymptomatic when infected, they may not appear to present a threat to their grandparents yet may still infect them. Perhaps closing schools will actually increase demands on health services, since the elderly are the most likely to need intensive care when infected by COVID-19.

It depends on whether you have an active community outbreak. If you already have one, shutting down schools minimises movement of people (and thus social contact) and that would go a very long way to control spread.
If there is not yet one then maybe there is not much benefit.

kalvado

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
kalvado wrote:
Thats how bureaucracy works. Capacity is there - but it is not certified for diagnostics in general, or diagnostics of this virus in particular, or technician is 2 weeks.

Is this true for every new strain of seasonal flu? That is nuts. The US started with 3 test locations, Michigan started with one state-owned test lab a week or two ago. Since yesterday four private labs with multiple locations have started testing. As labs increase so does positive cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/c ... elays.html

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
art wrote:

One also have to take into consider that health care staff also have children that goes to pre-school and/or school. If you close pre-schools and schools then you will heavily increase
the strain on the health care since lots of staff have to stay home to take care of their children.

That was the argument used by the Dutch Government to NOT close the schools. All events with more than 100 people are cancelled however and everyone is urged to work from home as much as possible.
They also admitted that the police simply does not have the capacity to police everyone, so people should be responsible and help as much as possible by Social Distancing.
Last edited by Dieuwer on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm

asuflyer wrote:
President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil 1st test has been to have confirmed COVID-19 positive. He was meeting with President Trump last week.

https://meiahora.ig.com.br/geral/2020/0 ... virus.html

As they say, every cloud has a silver lining...

zakuivcustom

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:59 pm

asuflyer wrote:
President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil 1st test has been to have confirmed COVID-19 positive. He was meeting with President Trump last week.

This may get interesting...Bolsonaro is denying it for now, though.

SQ789 wrote:
As of now, nearly 140,000 people are affected by coronavirus and I'm currently still in Indonesia. Today, Jakarta announces that Starting tomorrow that the following place will be closed for 2 weeks as found on CNN Indonesia. Also, Indonesia also confirmed their 35 cases today.

For the longest time Indonesia report zero cases. Of course, they were not testing anybody, either, for a long time.

yonahleung

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Jouhou wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
art wrote:
A listener to UK radio rang the radio station to say he went to the supermarket just before it opened to get some shopping this morning. He said there were 500 people at the entrance doors. Once the doors were opened there was a mad rush to the toilet paper shelves - but no toilet paper! Is this a dastardly tactic by supermarket managers to prevent panic buyers bringing chaos to their stores?

It is a very rare item in Australia too. I hadn’t thought about that angle. I ordered my shopping, and it seems that no one has caught on about using baby wipes or water wipes yet. No shortage on them. Only the local councils will get mad because they block up the sewers. With regard to the tactic, there should be no reason a locally made product that is so basic and plentiful can not be readily restocked.. I’ve not worked in the manufacturing or retail industry, in this area, but yes, there could well be more going on here..

This is some weird viral psychological thing. World saw Hong Kong fighting over TP, thought to must be the thing to have, people get in fights over tp in australia, Americans see this and are like SHIT this is the coronavirus item to have!

All because HK was worried about China switching production lines away from tp and to mask manufacturing. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE IN THE US GUYS!

In Hong Kong the rumour was that because of logistics disruptions there would be a shortage of toilet rolls from China. Eventually it was found that some pharmacies hoarded a lot of toilet rolls and spread rumours that there will be a shortage to make a quick profit...

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:28 pm

yonahleung wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:

It is a very rare item in Australia too. I hadn’t thought about that angle. I ordered my shopping, and it seems that no one has caught on about using baby wipes or water wipes yet. No shortage on them. Only the local councils will get mad because they block up the sewers. With regard to the tactic, there should be no reason a locally made product that is so basic and plentiful can not be readily restocked.. I’ve not worked in the manufacturing or retail industry, in this area, but yes, there could well be more going on here..

This is some weird viral psychological thing. World saw Hong Kong fighting over TP, thought to must be the thing to have, people get in fights over tp in australia, Americans see this and are like SHIT this is the coronavirus item to have!

All because HK was worried about China switching production lines away from tp and to mask manufacturing. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE IN THE US GUYS!

In Hong Kong the rumour was that because of logistics disruptions there would be a shortage of toilet rolls from China. Eventually it was found that some pharmacies hoarded a lot of toilet rolls and spread rumours that there will be a shortage to make a quick profit...

Well it continues. I went shopping last night, and the stores were emptied of clorox, chicken, and TP. Have to wait till April on Amazon for more TP.
Where ever you go, there you are.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:35 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=chart++ ... pcKh4_12zM

I will check the above link, in any event google "chart social distancing stop infections"

When social distancing reaches 75% the infections actually stop increasing, and start decreasing. We are acting accordingly. While in a medium sized condo our supplies food etc are adequate for about a month, mostly a 90 day supply of medications. We are limiting gym, but may stop all. Our favorite grocery store is open 24 hours a day, I will go once a week at 7am or so. We likely will cancel most medical appointments until May.

The U of WA did 1300 virus test in just one day, and will be doing 4000 a day by next week. The state of WA is shutting down most of the metropolitan area. Our kids are mostly working from home, we will avoid most grandkids for the next few weeks. The Seattle Times is covering all of this well. They have removed pay wall for the corona virus coverage, I recommend you follow them.

There is no general feeling of 'panic', just acceptance that we have to do a lot of hard things, need to cooperate with public heath advice, and be concerned for those whose incomes are not high enough to do what needs being done. Schools are closed but ensuring food for their students.

Be Good
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

noviorbis77

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Has anyone here had it, or suspect they’ve had it?

I’ve had a persistent cough for around 10 days now. It is getting slightly better. A few days ago the pain in my chest when I coughed was immense. I am still wheezing at times, but am a lot better. Did have a fever and cold on the onset during the middle of last week, but that shifted with a few days.

olle

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:
If one isn’t sick, they shouldn’t be treated like a prisoner. There is NOTHING to do in my house, aside from sleep. And please explain how I’d be spreading pandemic if I’m not sick.

135,000 people WORLDWIDE get an illness. Of those 135,000, there are roughly 5,000 deaths. There are EIGHT BILLION people on the planet. Forgive me if 135,000/8,000,000,000 doesn’t concern me. 0.00001687% doesn’t scare me and shouldn’t scare anyone else.

All of my data is from https://ncov2019.live/, so it’s not numbers I’m making up.

Marc

Not to scare you, Marc, but it is 135.000 known people who have tested positive and thus are sick (otherwise they would not have been tested), we do not know how many people do have it but are under the radar (are a bit under the weather but that's it), probably a factor of 10 perhaps much more. Then there are the persons who are sick, but do not have the symptoms yet, but have the possibility to spread it.

At average, each person infects two others. That's where the hockey stick graph comes from, do you know the parable of the wise man and the king, the king said, you can have anything you want, name it. The wise man said, I want to begin with one grain and for each area of the chessboard, I want the number of grains doubled. The kind smiled at the beginning, at the end not so much........ Or let me put it in another way: if brood doubles in size each day and after 49 days the pond is half-filled with brood, how long does it take to fill the complete pond with brood?

And you might. be a younger person, so am I, so I will probably be a bit under the weather if I catch it, but if I spread it to my parents then most probably one of them will not survive the experience or at least have to be hospitalized. So it is not just your health you are playing with, but it is everyone's especially the more vulnerable in society..

So to recap:
1. you could be contagious, before you develop the symptoms (2-4 weeks incubation period);
2. you could catch the disease more easily outside than inside, the need is to contain it (China did this with extreme measures and it is getting less and less now);
3. and tuff luck if you get bored in your house, the society at large needs to have. preference above your inconvenience for a couple of days or weeks.

The same is true for the flu. Despite our best efforts, the flu spreads with impunity. The entire human race is exposed to it. That is part of the human condition.

COVID Is quite difficult and it has caused some deaths. It will cause many more. I bet at least 2 million globally. But people are still saying 1%. So that is 75 million deaths if all infected. I am hoping that’s not the case. If instead our drastic effort cuts deaths from 2 million to 1.8 million, it’s probably not worth shutting off the world economy for that. The remedy will kill more people than are saved. We should not fixate on statistics that are not representative of average people and misapply them hastily. Even scientists struggle with selection bias all the time, and make huge mistakes with that all the time. Reproducibility crisis. Caution is warranted before we blow up the world.

The same numbers like WW II more or less...

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

I’ve had a persistent cough for around 10 days now. It is getting slightly better. A few days ago the pain in my chest when I coughed was immense. I am still wheezing at times, but am a lot better. Did have a fever and cold on the onset during the middle of last week, but that shifted with a few days.

It does sound like COVID-19 symptoms. If I were you I'd quarantine myself for a while regardless.

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

casinterest wrote:

Well it continues. I went shopping last night, and the stores were emptied of clorox, chicken, and TP. Have to wait till April on Amazon for more TP.

Did you try Meijer, they seem to have some Clorox liquid and TP in stock. Gallon $6+. If I remember correctly 3-gallon pack at Costco used to be less than $10.
All posts are just opinions.

theaviator380

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:58 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Not myself but my sister who lives in California has cough for last 3-4 days with mild to moderate temp, overall very warm feeling...after telephonic consultation her outcome was 'negative' means she wont be tested for the virus.

It's very difficult to say whether one has a covid-19 virus and body fighting well and taken care of virus or you have any other common cold flu virus which is highly likely too especially if you haven't been to those red zone areas in the world and have not came in contact with positive patient....hope you feel better and recover ! and yes as said above best to keep your self isolated !

Thanks for all who replied to my post yesterday...couldn't respond each of those.
Last edited by theaviator380 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:59 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Did you try Meijer, they seem to have some Clorox liquid and TP in stock. Gallon $6+. If I remember correctly 3-gallon pack at Costco used to be less than $10.

Meijer doesn't exist in NC. I went to BJ's , Harris Teeter(NC Kroeger brand), and Wal-mart.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:02 pm

I have noticed that the media is not taking their responsibility. There are still press conferences going on with a room full of people, reporters are still send to hot zones with no protection whatsoever and return to the office potentially infected, and people are still being interviewed at close quarters.

Confuscius

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Out of abundance of caution, I now regularly update my computer's antivirus software just in case COVID-19 mutates to human to computer transmission.
Ain't I a stinker?

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Confuscius wrote:
Out of abundance of caution, I now regularly update my computer's antivirus software just in case COVID-19 mutates to human to computer transmission.

I like!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aaron747

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Release notes from expert panel discussion at UCSF on March 10th. Important to see/consider if you are following emergent information for the situation in the US:

https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/ ... lain-m-d-/
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dutchy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
art wrote:

That was the argument used by the Dutch Government to NOT close the schools. All events with more than 100 people are cancelled however and everyone is urged to work from home as much as possible.
They also admitted that the police simply does not have the capacity to police everyone, so people should be responsible and help as much as possible by Social Distancing.

Had 3 face-to-face meetings canceled today, all via skype / zoom /phone ;-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Release notes from expert panel discussion at UCSF on March 10th. Important to see/consider if you are following emergent information for the situation in the US:

"This assumes no drug is found effective and made available."

That seems unlikely.

smallvoyageur

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:43 pm

The local, mayoral and police & crime commissioner elections have been delayed for a year.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN2102L1

L410Turbolet

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Confuscius wrote:

Speaking of computers... one of the largest hospitals in the country [Czech Republic] has had a ransomware cyberattack last night and their ops still remain seriously impaired.

Staff are not allowed to switch on computers and so are unable to access patients’ data, seriously reducing the capacity of the hospital. Although doctors are able to examine patients, they cannot access test results. Experts from the National Office for Cyber ​​and Information Security are on the scene at the hospital. “It seems that it will be possible to identify both the agent and the type of virus,” said Sterba. The attack also affected the University Hospital’s other facilities, the Children’s Hospital and the Maternity Hospital on Obilni Trh.

https://brnodaily.com/2020/03/13/news/s ... -hospital/

art

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Just heard on UK radio that UK local elections are delayed by 1 year, including the election for Mayor of London.

Addendum: London marathon postponed from April to October.
Last edited by art on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

"This assumes no drug is found effective and made available."

That seems unlikely.

12-18 months for 40-70% spread within the US. By then, I think they will have a vaccine.
The issue is containment. How long until people grow restless? The young folks and those less susceptible will get tired of putting life on hold for a disease that is not that threatening. Especially if folks like Tom Hanks or other celebrities make it through without an issue.

mham001

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:19 pm

kalvado wrote:
Thats how bureaucracy works. Capacity is there - but it is not certified for diagnostics in general, or diagnostics of this virus in particular, or technician is 2 weeks past due on sexual harassment training and cannot handle confidential data...

Doesn't get much print but much of the testing delays are due to FDA regulations. Bitten in the ass by our own bureaucracy. But a bit of good news this morning...

New Coronavirus Test 10 Times Faster Is FDA Approved
March 12, 2020, 11:29 PM PDT Updated on March 13, 2020, 5:31 AM PDT
FDA grants emergency use approval to highly automated process

The Food and Drug Administration granted “emergency use authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche Holding AG’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The 8800 system is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 version can test as many as 1,440.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mes-faster

kalvado

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:03 pm

mham001 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
Thats how bureaucracy works. Capacity is there - but it is not certified for diagnostics in general, or diagnostics of this virus in particular, or technician is 2 weeks past due on sexual harassment training and cannot handle confidential data...

Doesn't get much print but much of the testing delays are due to FDA regulations. Bitten in the ass by our own bureaucracy. But a bit of good news this morning...

New Coronavirus Test 10 Times Faster Is FDA Approved
March 12, 2020, 11:29 PM PDT Updated on March 13, 2020, 5:31 AM PDT
FDA grants emergency use approval to highly automated process

The Food and Drug Administration granted “emergency use authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche Holding AG’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The 8800 system is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 version can test as many as 1,440.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... mes-faster

Looks like a very serious review of certification processes across the board is needed. It doesn't really work when needed (MAX, Theranos), but hinders things for no real benefit and even direct harm (NRTL, diagnostic certification).

noviorbis77

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Newark727 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Not very nice thing to say is it.

Newark727

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:40 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Well, Bolsonaro isn't a very nice person.

Olddog

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Latest numbers for France: 3661 tested positive (800 more than yesterday) and 79 deaths.

Aesma

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
art wrote:
A listener to UK radio rang the radio station to say he went to the supermarket just before it opened to get some shopping this morning. He said there were 500 people at the entrance doors. Once the doors were opened there was a mad rush to the toilet paper shelves - but no toilet paper! Is this a dastardly tactic by supermarket managers to prevent panic buyers bringing chaos to their stores?

Are you sure TP is locally made ? I remember that in the case of a sudden no deal Brexit some people predicted the UK would run out of TP in 3 days.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:10 pm

hkg82 wrote:
Any leading theories yet why children tend to only get mild symptoms/recover quickly from Covid? Influenza A and other respiratory viruses tend to hit hardest the very young and very old (along with those who have serious chronic illneses of course), whereas Covid only seems to hit the elderly the hardest and those with serious underlying conditions.

I've heard one theory is that children are alway doing dirty things and thus are exposed to many coronaviruses all the time, as a consequence their immune system is more ready to fight this new one.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

mham001

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Aesma wrote:
hkg82 wrote:
Any leading theories yet why children tend to only get mild symptoms/recover quickly from Covid? Influenza A and other respiratory viruses tend to hit hardest the very young and very old (along with those who have serious chronic illneses of course), whereas Covid only seems to hit the elderly the hardest and those with serious underlying conditions.

I've heard one theory is that children are alway doing dirty things and thus are exposed to many coronaviruses all the time, as a consequence their immune system is more ready to fight this new one.

Just got the phone call my schools are closing for two weeks. I read Britain's approach is to let the people immune themselves. The reason they don't want to close up everything is that they believe it will peak in 14 weeks and they don't believe the people will take it all seriously for that long. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/uk/uk-co ... index.html

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm

Olddog wrote:
Latest numbers for France: 3661 tested positive (800 more than yesterday) and 79 deaths.

Yep,

And the US has now crossed 2000 333 more than yesterday, and 41 total deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

mham001

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm

casinterest wrote:
Olddog wrote:

Yep,

That is more than the WHO said today about US but no doubt more tests will produce more positives.

Europe has become the new epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic as cases in China slow and the deadly coronavirus runs through Italy and nearby countries, World Health Organization officials said Friday.

“More cases are now being reported [in Europe] every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a news conference at the organization’s Geneva headquarters.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/13/europe- ... -says.html

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:05 pm

So I decided to leave work a little earlier to go grocery shopping. Supermarket was busy but not overcrowded. People were well-behaved. No screaming or fights.
Toilet paper aisle was cleaned out. Last Monday it was still fully stocked. Same goes for laundry detergent, tissue paper, yogurts, and frozen food (my favorite pizza was still there). Lots of fruit was still available and 50% of the soup cans were still standing.

These are one of these times where you do not really want to join the mad dash because you will only make it worse. But if you don't, then you are left standing empty handed.
Last edited by Dieuwer on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PPVRA

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Newark727 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Well, Bolsonaro isn't a very nice person.

People are vastly exaggerating Bolsonaro. He’s far more centrist and reasonable than the media is portraying him, just as they’re happily reporting that he’s infected when the first test is actually negative.

Not that he’s perfect by any means.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

M564038

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
Olddog wrote:

Yep,

We have 1000 registered cases and 1 death.
That, amongst other things, mean that with 41 dead, the numbers in the US are way, way, way higher than 2000.

bgm

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Trump was able to coast along when the times were good, but in a crisis like this, it really highlights just how unbelievably incompetent his administration is. The fact he's gone from calling it a Democrat hoax to declaring a national emergency in one week sums it up.

God help us all. :sarcastic:

The president and his administration are responsible for grave, costly errors, most especially the epic manufacturing failures in diagnostic testing, the decision to test too few people, the delay in expanding testing to labs outside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and problems in the supply chain. These mistakes have left us blind and badly behind the curve, and, for a few crucial weeks, they created a false sense of security. What we now know is that the coronavirus silently spread for several weeks, without us being aware of it and while we were doing nothing to stop it. Containment and mitigation efforts could have significantly slowed its spread at an early, critical point, but we frittered away that opportunity.

“They’ve simply lost time they can’t make up. You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” Jeremy Konyndyk, who helped oversee the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told The Washington Post. “To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.”

Earlier this week, Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity have been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus. “It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable. The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress. “It would be nice if the office was still there.” We may face a shortage of ventilators and medical supplies, and hospitals may soon be overwhelmed, certainly if the number of coronavirus cases increases at a rate anything like that in countries such as Italy. (This would cause not only needless coronavirus-related deaths, but deaths from those suffering from other ailments who won’t have ready access to hospital care.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/607969/

PPVRA

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 pm

M564038 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Olddog wrote:

Yep,

That, amongst other things, mean that with 41 dead, the numbers in the US are way, way, way higher than 2000.

Be careful with interpolating numbers. Some
countries are seeing much worse death rates than others, for whatever reason.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 pm

PPVRA wrote:
M564038 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Yep,

Relatively more elderly, perhaps?

PixelPilot

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:49 pm

bgm wrote:
Trump was able to coast along when the times were good, but in a crisis like this, it really highlights just how unbelievably incompetent his administration is. The fact he's gone from calling it a Democrat hoax to declaring a national emergency in one week sums it up.

God help us all. :sarcastic:

The president and his administration are responsible for grave, costly errors, most especially the epic manufacturing failures in diagnostic testing, the decision to test too few people, the delay in expanding testing to labs outside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and problems in the supply chain. These mistakes have left us blind and badly behind the curve, and, for a few crucial weeks, they created a false sense of security. What we now know is that the coronavirus silently spread for several weeks, without us being aware of it and while we were doing nothing to stop it. Containment and mitigation efforts could have significantly slowed its spread at an early, critical point, but we frittered away that opportunity.

“They’ve simply lost time they can’t make up. You can’t get back six weeks of blindness,” Jeremy Konyndyk, who helped oversee the international response to Ebola during the Obama administration and is a senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told The Washington Post. “To the extent that there’s someone to blame here, the blame is on poor, chaotic management from the White House and failure to acknowledge the big picture.”

Earlier this week, Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity have been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus. “It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable. The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress. “It would be nice if the office was still there.” We may face a shortage of ventilators and medical supplies, and hospitals may soon be overwhelmed, certainly if the number of coronavirus cases increases at a rate anything like that in countries such as Italy. (This would cause not only needless coronavirus-related deaths, but deaths from those suffering from other ailments who won’t have ready access to hospital care.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/607969/

Right cause the Dem / left side is so snow white that their word always true.
Just stop already. It's hypocrisy at its finest. Both sides are worth each other.

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/ ... 18017?s=20

PPVRA

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
PPVRA wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Look at Germany and France. A quick google shows Germany is slightly older, but has seen much lower death rates.

Maybe it’s just a statistical anomaly as the numbers are still relatively small? Not sure...

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
PPVRA wrote:
M564038 wrote:

I think a lot has to do with testing and identifying potential cases.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Just noticed Spain blasted higher by 40%. They have now MORE cases than Germany and France.

Danny

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:16 pm

asuflyer wrote:

Does that mean he was infected by Trump who is hiding he's infected too?

PPVRA

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Danny wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Does that mean he was infected by Trump who is hiding he's infected too?

He tested negative. The media jumped the gun.

vrbarreto

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Went to Tesco's last night and there were huge queues at the till... then I saw that there was only one person manning the till and they seemed to be doing a deliberate go slow. So I went to Billa instead which was empty and I stocked up on the essentials of beer, Slivka and Red Wine. My sister is stuck in the country at the moment with us. Her boss asked me to go over the border, deliver her to Vienna airport and then lie to the authorities on the way back that I would go into quarantine for 2 weeks when I got back home and just go to work. Show's you how much some people in Britain believe that this is a problem and the rule of law in other countries..