Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Schools in Western Washington are all shut down until April 24. As well as theaters, sports, many restaurants etc. Travel is mostly stopping. It is not quite a required lockdown but close. Ferry and bus advisory is travel only when necessary, and then sit as far from other people as possible. Hospitals are on the edge of being overwhelmed - more a staffing problem and too many patients. (one nurse or patient comes down with a positive test, 10 people have to be furloughed). The longer game plan, as I read it, is to stop the spread fast. This could happen as quickly as 8 weeks. Then SLOWLY ramp up activities.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:12 pm

T4thH wrote:
In this case: WHO has published two recipes for self made disinfectant for hands.
https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf?ua=1

The only useful thing they have done since the outbreak began.

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Dr. Fauci appears to me as one of the few sane and well-spoken people left in US politics.
Maybe he should be in charge instead of Trump.

art

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Trump bans flights from UK and Ireland from Monday - according to UK radio,

My partner is booked to cross the pond in May. I presume that all these incoming visitor bans will be lifted by then because it will be endemic everywhere by then with large scale internal person to person transmission. In that situation it makes little sense to restrict movement from other infected countries.

bennett123

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:08 pm

airworthy99

All this talk of borders overlooks one point;

Some US States are bigger than some EU countries, have bigger populations or both.

AFAIK, there are no travel restrictions between US states.

art

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

I do not want to be callous (hope I am not) but let me postulate that in 2020 10% of people aged 80+ years catch COVID-19 and 10% of those people are killed by it. What proportion of those people would have died in 2020 anyway if they had not caught COVID-19?

If it increases the death rate in 80+ year old people by a small proportion, is the world over-reacting to this virus?

AirWorthy99

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:18 pm

bennett123 wrote:
airworthy99

Some US States are bigger than some EU countries, have bigger populations or both.

The vast majority of imported cases are foreign, yes there are some domestic travel cases but not as significant as foreign. As for restrictions between US states, I don't doubt they will be doing some in the coming days or weeks. As part of the emergency powers Trump now can do that.

I think any measure that slows down the rate of infections is good, that way there will be less strain on the health care systems, today Italy and other European nations are grappling with an overwhelmed situation in their hospitals and health centers, something that may happen soon in the US, but as long as this is slower the better.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

Aesma

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:33 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Schools in Western Washington are all shut down until April 24. As well as theaters, sports, many restaurants etc. Travel is mostly stopping. It is not quite a required lockdown but close. Ferry and bus advisory is travel only when necessary, and then sit as far from other people as possible. Hospitals are on the edge of being overwhelmed - more a staffing problem and too many patients. (one nurse or patient comes down with a positive test, 10 people have to be furloughed). The longer game plan, as I read it, is to stop the spread fast. This could happen as quickly as 8 weeks. Then SLOWLY ramp up activities.

From my understanding in Northern Italy doctors and nurses continue to work even if they have the virus, as long as they can stand basically.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:39 pm

art wrote:
I do not want to be callous (hope I am not) but let me postulate that in 2020 10% of people aged 80+ years catch COVID-19 and 10% of those people are killed by it. What proportion of those people would have died in 2020 anyway if they had not caught COVID-19?

If it increases the death rate in 80+ year old people by a small proportion, is the world over-reacting to this virus?

You have the good reasoning, but the same is true for all age groups. Younger people usually don't die much, and this virus kills some of them, so the death rate is increased at any age.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

lowwkjax

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:13 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
airworthy99

The vast majority of imported cases are foreign, yes there are some domestic travel cases but not as significant as foreign. As for restrictions between US states, I don't doubt they will be doing some in the coming days or weeks. As part of the emergency powers Trump now can do that.

I think any measure that slows down the rate of infections is good, that way there will be less strain on the health care systems, today Italy and other European nations are grappling with an overwhelmed situation in their hospitals and health centers, something that may happen soon in the US, but as long as this is slower the better.

The vast majority of all cases in Europe were foreign too at some point. But then again the virus doesn’t check passports, they do infect Americans and those Americans infect other Americans and boom, the vast majority of cases is suddenly not so foreign anymore (which doesn’t make a difference anyways)

mham001

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:21 pm

T4thH wrote:
Sorry to say, but...
1. Coronavirus kills elderly and patients with pre-existing conditions...so regular it kills elderly with pre-existing conditions. This is the same in the whole world, including USA. The few other death by below 60 years healthy patients are low and do not count regarding the death rate. Also this is the same in the whole world. So this is no excuse for anything.
2. dead linked to a nursing home in Seattle is not the same as "died in the nursing home". In the nursing home only two or three have died, but it was the Coronavirus hot spot, Someone died, who got the Coronavirus from someone, who got the virus, from one who got it from, who got it from...and at the end there is: who has visited his grandfather in the nursing home, who has had the Coronavirus....This is linked...

At least 31 people have died from the virus in the state and nearly all are associated with Life Care Center nursing home here or four other long-term care facilities nearby. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ing-homes/

I will give you that Germany was fortunate its first outbreak was among relatively young, healthy adults at Webasto. Like I said, our first outbreak and source of ~55% of US deaths was among our weakest.

T4thH wrote:
3. In Germany, there have been up to 20.000 Coronavirus tests performed already few days ago...per day..you understand, not in total, we are talking about PER DAY. Now the capacity has raised. Last two days, I was somewhere in Germany (you need not to know) in a hospital (the same) and could see the local Coronavirus test station of the city. I was just working there in this hospital. As regular, the test station is in a tent in front of one of the hospital buildings. I would bet, perhaps around 200 patients in two days, who have been tested. These were only the cases in this city, who were suspected (so with symptoms, confirmed by the private physician), but had no connection to a known Coronavirus case. All with connection will stay home and be visited by the health authority directly. Every city in Germany and administrative district in Germany has one or more of these Coronavirus test stations now, regular as tent in front of hospitals, in some cases there are even already drive in.

I don't think that is reason to get hochnasig....cities all around this country already have drive up testing.

Aesma

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:41 pm

France orders non-essential public places to close : https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51892477

The reason being the doubling of cases over a period of 72 hours.

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has ordered the closure of all non-essential public locations from midnight (23:00 GMT Saturday) in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The prime minister justified the shutdown by saying the spread of the virus in France was accelerating and the number of people needing intensive care support was growing.

He also said too many people were still out in the streets and not following earlier guidelines.

"The best way to slow down the epidemic", he said, was "social distancing".

Alfons

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:17 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Hi, are you willing to trade places and live in Europe instead of the US in this current situation? and if so are you being honest here?

They don't have Trump, but to me it seems we are doing a bit better at this point, considering we got the virus first than them initially months ago, yet they got it later and look at where they are. This Trump bashing fest based on a world crisis shows our quality as humans. This can get to anyone, conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, independent.

let's talk about that again in 2 weeks.

Francoflier

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 pm

art wrote:

It is a valid question.

Many of the victims are already frail and of advanced age, most with underlying health conditions.
Many of the deaths attributed to Covid-19 were people who may very well have passed away anyway but also happened to be infected.

There are approximately 150.000 deaths per day on Earth, and it will take time to crunch the morbid numbers and determine how many additional deaths the virus caused. We simply don't know enough, or much at all, about it yet.

One of the interesting aspects of it is the apparent geographical imbalance of the propagation. Countries in lower latitudes (warmer climates) seem to be less affected, and within affected countries in the same latitudes and climate bands, infection rate and mortality seem to vary widely. Take for example South Korea vs. Japan or Italy vs. Spain or Southern France. Its propagation in the US, with its various climates, will be interesting to follow (well, for an epidemiologist at least).

Could average temperatures affect its spread? Do cultural differences and lifestyles change anything?
Genetics? Maybe it's just a matter of age distribution among certain communities?

With time, we will learn a lot from this. I feel that among the tragedy, there will be some fascinating findings which will hopefully help us tackle the next one better.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 pm

I think we should assume by now that EVERYONE in the Northern Hemisphere will get infected. They REAL question is: how many of those will need medical care?

dtw2hyd

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I think we should assume by now that EVERYONE in the Northern Hemisphere will get infected. They REAL question is: how many of those will need medical care?

Exposed is the right word. Even if we did, the average age of the population is not going to drop drastically, like in a certain country with better control. There won't be an off the books write-off.

It is difficult to deal with a pandemic in an open society, that is not a weakness.
All posts are just opinions.

kalvado

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Repatriation flights from Wuhan - which are probably a good well tested subset - show that less than half of those tested positive remain asymptomatic.
Then 20% of those symptomatic need medical attention, and 5% - intensive care, so more than 10% and 2.5% of total infected cohort respectively.

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Another point to consider is the spread of the virus by animals. We have already seen that a dog in HK was infected and showed symptoms. So, considering that pigeons, cats, etc. are free to roam and spread the virus, it won't be enough to only confine humans. In fact, it may be become inevitable to keep pets indoors or even ban having pets.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Japan is now trying to blame a situation that is getting out of control to people returning from Europe.
Tokyo has announced today that 4 people who came back from UK, Spain, France, Italy have been found to be infected.

http://www.news24.jp/articles/2020/03/1 ... ecsclick=0

The question is, were those people infected in Europe or were they infected in Japan and bring it to Europe before going back to Japan?
Perhaps many outbreaks in Europe can be attributed to people visiting from Japan.

As documented earlier, Japan is not testing people at any meaningful scale and eluding its responsibilities.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:14 pm

I have been thinking that it's odd that this threat appeared at a moment that financial markets were pumped to record highs, as if the virus knew when to strike to inflict the most damage to the global economy as possible.
Also, the way the virus is propagating is rather odd. Local spread is happening very fast and yet some area's of the globe have been relatively unaffected, especially area's that have a major interface with the world and yet for instance don't have significant financial markets.
Perhaps it's purely a conspiracy theory but I think that we can't exclude the possibility of financially motivated terrorism?
I think that it would make sense to investigate the market volumes in put options in December/January/February to see if there weren't unusual volumes.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tugger

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
Japan is now trying to blame a situation that is getting out of control to people returning from Europe.
Tokyo has announced today that 4 people who came back from UK, Spain, France, Italy have been found to be infected.

http://www.news24.jp/articles/2020/03/1 ... ecsclick=0

The question is, were those people infected in Europe or were they infected in Japan and bring it to Europe before going back to Japan?
Perhaps many outbreaks in Europe can be attributed to people visiting from Japan.

As documented earlier, Japan is not testing people at any meaningful scale and eluding its responsibilities.

Japan is more concerned about the Olympics than the well-being of its citizens.

Well duh. Isn't everyone worried about their economy?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

par13del

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 pm

My issue is all over the world they are closing schools first versus jobs, so far have we heard of any deaths or much infection among school age kids? The kids immune systems are strong, they are active therefore their bodies fight off the virus real quick.
Older folks on the other - and I mean folks 25 and up - are more susceptible to contract and need two weeks to recover, so we should work the other way around, close the jobs while the kids go to school.

cjg225

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 pm

par13del wrote:
My issue is all over the world they are closing schools first versus jobs, so far have we heard of any deaths or much infection among school age kids? The kids immune systems are strong, they are active therefore their bodies fight off the virus real quick.
Older folks on the other - and I mean folks 25 and up - are more susceptible to contract and need two weeks to recover, so we should work the other way around, close the jobs while the kids go to school.

Just because kids aren't dying doesn't mean they're not getting it. And kids are amongst the filthiest beings on the planet. They are walking petri dishes. If they still went to school, they'd spread it all amongst themselves and then go home and infect their parents.

But, tangentially, yes, there's a concern here with how this has been done. My stance is that a lot of problems with food and other necessities won't be necessarily supply driven... Or, rather, supply-of-the-material driven. It'll be supply of labor. How long are "critical" businesses like pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. going to be able to run relatively smoothly as people: A) get sick; B) have to stay home to take care of their kids or other loved ones; C) can't get to and from their jobs; D) other challenges?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:01 pm

par13del wrote:

The rationale behind the school shutdowns is that even though this virus is (luckily) not really dangerous for children, they may be infected and spread the disease without ever showing any symptoms. Schools are a perfect environment for endless transmissions of coronavirus.

Aesma

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:46 pm

par13del wrote:

Unless you quarantine the kids inside the schools, they will spread the virus.

Closing schools has been SOP for pandemics for a very long time.

mham001

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 am

cjg225 wrote:
But, tangentially, yes, there's a concern here with how this has been done. My stance is that a lot of problems with food and other necessities won't be necessarily supply driven... Or, rather, supply-of-the-material driven. It'll be supply of labor. How long are "critical" businesses like pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. going to be able to run relatively smoothly as people: A) get sick; B) have to stay home to take care of their kids or other loved ones; C) can't get to and from their jobs; D) other challenges?

Yes, this the fear. Amazon is talking about a two week shutdown.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 am

Early Symptoms of Corona Virus & dealing with the disease

This is David & Sally Abel’s explanation of how the corona virus took hold of them. The symptoms and dealing with the disease on a daily basis. 30 days in a Japanese hospital - and still counting !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2E1t3yMXgE
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Waterbomber2

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 am

I suspect that Pres. Trump has been infected even though they say that his test was negative.
He looked weak and different when he announced that he had taken the test, wearing the USA cap.
He wore that cap probably to hide the fact that his eyes are smaller than usual.

https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/idOVC514O9R

cjg225

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:23 am

mham001 wrote:
Yes, this the fear. Amazon is talking about a two week shutdown.

That would be interesting.

I just ordered a new sauce pot on Amazon. Would be nice to have it before Amazon actually does something like that just because, ya know, kinda need to replace my ruined one so that I can actually cook pasta and sauce at the same time during this probably-soon-to-be-quarantine without working that the chipped surface of my old one is leaching metal into my pasta...
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:34 am

Dieuwer wrote:

I'm not going down although a fight. Remember that it's highly likely those who recover will have permanent lung damage (the virus hasn't been around long enough for us to determine if all cases of just severe cases will have this issue). It's best to focus on not getting it and not giving up the fight yet.

par13del wrote:

Kids have terrible hygiene, put their mouths on things, and touch people more often than adults do. They're vectors for the disease unless they aren't getting it at all. And we've yet to prove that they aren't getting it rather than being asymptomatic carriers.
情報

art

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:50 am

Jouhou wrote:
[Remember that it's highly likely those who recover will have permanent lung damage (the virus hasn't been around long enough for us to determine if all cases of just severe cases will have this issue).

What lung damage would result without fluid in rhe lungs?

Aaron747

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 am

USA: Employ social distancing
Also USA: enjoy our incubator as you wait four hours in a crowded line to go through DFW customs :sarcastic:

https://twitter.com/fox4/status/1238970 ... 78337?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NIKV69

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:24 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
I suspect that Pres. Trump has been infected even though they say that his test was negative.
He looked weak and different when he announced that he had taken the test, wearing the USA cap.
He wore that cap probably to hide the fact that his eyes are smaller than usual.

So you are a doctor that can diagnose from watching TV. Hmmmmm. He looks weak because he probably has been sleeping 4 hours a night as he handles this lunacy the media has been driving.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Aaron747

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:29 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

So you are a doctor that can diagnose from watching TV. Hmmmmm. He looks weak because he probably has been sleeping 4 hours a night as he handles this lunacy the media has been driving.

His staff claim he has superhuman energy and only sleeps five hours anyway, so shouldn’t make a difference.

Of course, this Doc has a different opinion where all his energy comes from:

https://twitter.com/drgjackbrown/status ... 97216?s=21
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Derico

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:21 am

We can shut down all the schools on the planet, all the sports events, all the crowded restaurants and concerts. We can stop flying, cruising, riding mass transport. We can keep 2 meters distance.

To what end?

Let's get real here, preventing people from getting the virus is not solving the issue. The lack of immunity remains. Yes, it buys some time, but these measures cannot go one for over 8 weeks. The economy of the world and the sanity of the world cannot withstand it.

So why has there been no talk of an ultimate "Manhattan Project + Burj Dubai + Eurotunnel + Egyptian Pyramids + Roman road" project, where all the nations of the world pour something in the vicinity of 12 zero sums to find either a vaccine, or a palliative treatment that drops the mortality rate to under 0.5%, or a medicine that cures it, or even just millions of ICU units that can be portable and taken from region to region as the epidemic peaks in different areas at different times, within two or three months? The point of buying time is to find the way to drop the death rate or create immunization.... but if the money is not going to that goal, then it's all for naught.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Pellegrine

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:04 am

I don't really post much here anymore. I live, work in DC, and have connections here. I want to emphasize this administration is looking at US nationwide mandatory quarantine for 2-4 weeks starting as early as Tuesday. CDC, private healthcare companies, and the administration.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

MSMinHKG

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:09 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Another point to consider is the spread of the virus by animals. We have already seen that a dog in HK was infected and showed symptoms. So, considering that pigeons, cats, etc. are free to roam and spread the virus, it won't be enough to only confine humans. In fact, it may be become inevitable to keep pets indoors or even ban having pets.

One dog did get infected, but it did not develop symptoms. I would not extrapolate from this that all animals are potential carriers/vectors.

Source: https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202 ... 200670.htm

KFTG

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You people truly are members of a cult.

KFTG

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:02 am

Pellegrine wrote:
I don't really post much here anymore. I live, work in DC, and have connections here. I want to emphasize this administration is looking at US nationwide mandatory quarantine for 2-4 weeks starting as early as Tuesday. CDC, private healthcare companies, and the administration.

This is what needs to happen.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:11 am

art wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
[Remember that it's highly likely those who recover will have permanent lung damage (the virus hasn't been around long enough for us to determine if all cases of just severe cases will have this issue).

What lung damage would result without fluid in rhe lungs?

The idea that symptoms are proportionate to the damage to the lungs is false. I'm personally really sure the lack of symptoms has to do with the ineffective immune response, and a resulting lack of the inflammatory cytokines that create strong symptoms.

In asymptomatic patients, 60% had abnormalities confined to one lung, while 90% of group 2 patients had abnormalities in both lungs. Those in groups 3 and 4 showed more mixed patterns and areas where fluid had replaced the air in the lung, leading to swelling and hardening of tissues.

I keep reading over and over that asymptomatic cases have lesions being found in their lungs. It has not been established that this won't leave lasting damage.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... ds-patient

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 40-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext
Last edited by Jouhou on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
情報

stl07

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

I agree with you that he is probably not infected, but we need the media to push him to react. He was out golfing on spring break in Florida. The media got him to act and save the lives of the American people.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

SQ22

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 am

Please include a link to a source when your are reporting news or presenting facts. Thanks.

olle

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:17 am

Will USA impose intrastate travel ban or restrictions just like China and EU has done?

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:01 am

Pellegrine wrote:

Something tells me if this is true it would be botched horribly and they will exclude essential industries but fail to define which are essential etc. Like every executive order, no implementation plan. I think they would need to wait a couple of weeks to do this to be able to execute something like that even close to properly.
情報

SCQ83

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:21 am

I went out this morning (Paris). I couldn't enter the first supermarket because it was full. Sunday 9 AM. I went to another (smaller) supermarket and people started yelling to each other in the queue.

I notice that panic is starting to take over the city. Completely different picture from yesterday. I went yesterday morning to the supermarket and everything was fine and not crowded at all. It seems France is 2-3 days behind Spain and about a week behind Italy.

Ironically (granted I live in an area with quite a few Chinese people and other immigrants), it seems that white French Parisians do not care much. I think I was the only "white" person I crossed this morning with a mask, while every other Asian person I crossed had one (and most Arabs too). I assume this is because Chinese and Arabs have connections to China, Italy or Spain which are already under a complete lockdown. Your average arrogant Parisian (that thinks he or she is above this virus) will have a hard landing!. Not to mention so many people that will lose their job in Paris in the fashion/luxury/tourism industry.

SCQ83

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am

StuckinCMHland wrote:
For those of you who live in Ohio, I have a question.

The head of the Ohio Department of Health (who had an above the fold, rather flattering story written about her in the Columbus Dispatch on Saturday 3/14), changed a lot of minds in political leaders in the state by saying on Thursday 3/12 there are at least 100,000 people who have the virus in the state. With respect, there had been only 5 cases reported on Thursday and 13 as this morning, and not many positive tests for it.

Does anyone know where she got the 100,000 number?.

It is perfectly logical. You just have to check the number of celebrities that got Coronavirus. From the wives of the presidents of Spain and Canada (Pedro Sánchez and Trudeau), to Tom Hanks. Many ministers in France, Spain and Italy got it. And those are people who have all the means to avoid this!

The only difference between Tom Hanks and your average Joe in Ohio is that Tom Hanks has the means to get a test in minutes and pay whatever it is needed. If there are no more cases it is simply because there are not enough tests.

Derico

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:03 am

olle wrote:
Will USA impose intrastate travel ban or restrictions just like China and EU has done?

China did not impose a travel ban within it's provinces, it locked Hubei Province from the rest. You could travel from province to province in Mainland China and have several friends and partners that did in the middle of the worst part for them. But unless they absolutely needed to, most people stayed indoors.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

marcelh

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:06 am

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206555143/Corona-USA-will-Zugriff-auf-deutsche-Impfstoff-Firma.html In German.

"The Tübingen-based company CureVac is researching a corona vaccine under high pressure. According to WELT AM SONNTAG information, the US government wants to secure the rights to it exclusively. The German government is trying to prevent this."

America First....

If true, we know who our enemy is....

SCQ83

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:19 am

I wonder if tomorrow the Stock Market (Dow Jones, CAC, FTSE, IBEX, etc.) will have its biggest drop ever.

Every day something new happen that only a week ago was completely unthinkable. I was in Milan 3 weeks ago and noticed it. One day everything seemed "normal" (maybe people just reading the news a bit worried, but that is all), and the morning after everybody was in PANIC. I saw it this weekend in Paris. Yesterday everybody was in the street doing their business and today everybody is in panic mode. No doubt this will happen over the next few days to New York, London, Berlin or any other city around the world.

art

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:09 am

Jouhou wrote:
I keep reading over and over that asymptomatic cases have lesions being found in their lungs. It has not been established that this won't leave lasting damage.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... ds-patient

That is pretty disturbing. I wonder how much time will be needed to determine whether of not asymptomatic infection can result in a long term lreduction in lung function. I'm a layman but I imagine that when tissues in lungs have been changed in nature they do not change back again over time.