Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12341
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Disappointing analysis here because FT is usually quite reliable - their little chart here claims Japan’s lower trajectory owes to ‘obedience’ when this is not the case. Japan’s threshold for Covid-19 testing is absurdly high - patients must have fever for four days and have pneumonia symptoms to receive a test. And there is no proof Japanese hygiene obedience is better than anywhere in the west - can certainly vouch for that after living there a number of years. Friends there tell me with the school bans in place, teenagers are bored and crowding cafes and restaurants every day of the week. Social distancing is not happening on a wide scale yet.

Image

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Disappointing analysis here because FT is usually quite reliable - their little chart here claims Japan’s lower trajectory owes to ‘obedience’ when this is not the case. Japan’s threshold for Covid-19 testing is absurdly high - patients must have fever for four days and have pneumonia symptoms to receive a test. And there is no proof Japanese hygiene obedience is better than anywhere in the west - can certainly vouch for that after living there a number of years. Friends there tell me with the school bans in place, teenagers are bored and crowding cafes and restaurants every day of the week. Social distancing is not happening on a wide scale yet.

Image

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441


Japan by now seems to be a statistical outlier that should be rejected based on the standard deviation observed in the average of all other cases (countries).
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
The sky is starting to fall here in Europe.
These are scenes from a supermarket North of Paris.

https://youtu.be/H_kRfrIP3m0

Until a few days ago, people laughed or smirked at me wearing a mask, now they are all desperately wrapping their mouth in their scarfs almost wondering if I have a spare one for them.

Things are getting ugly very fast.

Belgium, where the minister of health was previously smiling and saying that they were prepared for an outbreak, are now worried about the quickly overwhelming situation.


I am in India, and I was definitely mocking people wearing masks till 2 days ago. Not now. There's no outbreak here yet, but I am taking coronavirus threat seriously now after reading many stories like yours...
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Any comments from biochemists, virologist, etc. on the "Vitamin-D" suggestion in this article?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/433278 ... orse-virus

The comments the author makes about "fear" and "free money" I could agree with.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Friends there tell me with the school bans in place, teenagers are bored and crowding cafes and restaurants every day of the week. Social distancing is not happening on a wide scale yet.


I am very skeptical that 'social distancing' will work anywhere in the world really. Have people stuck at home for a month, its not a realistic expectation.

I think governments worldwide should expand their current medical infrastructure increased exponentially, and allow life to continue normally. Those who are sick and those who are in the vulnerable group should stay home. But I rather believe things should resume normal life soon, because expecting people to stay home and watch Netflix for 4 weeks its difficult to accomplish, more now with great weather coming up.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:47 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I am very skeptical that 'social distancing' will work anywhere in the world really. Have people stuck at home for a month, its not a realistic expectation.

I think governments worldwide should expand their current medical infrastructure increased exponentially, and allow life to continue normally.

That's exactly what we are doing (or should be doing.)

Social distancing to slow this and buy the government time to prepare.

If we aren't preparing now, all these lockdowns will be for nothing
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:50 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I am very skeptical that 'social distancing' will work anywhere in the world really. Have people stuck at home for a month, its not a realistic expectation.

I think governments worldwide should expand their current medical infrastructure increased exponentially, and allow life to continue normally.

That's exactly what we are doing (or should be doing.)

Social distancing to slow this and buy the government time to prepare.

If we aren't preparing now, all these lockdowns will be for nothing


Yes, but I don't think people will do this for far too long. Less than a month is I think the most.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3520
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I am very skeptical that 'social distancing' will work anywhere in the world really. Have people stuck at home for a month, its not a realistic expectation.

I think governments worldwide should expand their current medical infrastructure increased exponentially, and allow life to continue normally.

That's exactly what we are doing (or should be doing.)

Social distancing to slow this and buy the government time to prepare.

If we aren't preparing now, all these lockdowns will be for nothing


Yes, but I don't think people will do this for far too long. Less than a month is I think the most.


2-3 weeks should be enough to slow things down. South Korean number is probably the most accurate one out there - the outbreak really explode beginning 2/18, peaked around 2/28 (~10 days), then gradually reduced to ~100 cases a day now (v. ~600-700/day). You should see similar effect with Italy soon (They're about a week behind South Korea).

The whole point of "lockdown" is to slow the spread just so medical system doesn't get overloaded anyway.

P.S. Personally expect things to peak in US by end of this month, then gradually decrease in April, with things getting back to more "normal" by June. US right now is about 10 days behind Europe.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/first-p ... 33342.html

So yesterday, at 8 a.m., researchers at Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle began the first test in humans of an experimental vaccine for the new coronavirus, reports the Associated Press. While just four people were given the shot yesterday, in total 45 participants will receive it during this trial, which is meant to determine its safety, according to The New York Times. Other studies will assess how well it works. Even if all goes well, it’ll likely take a year for the vaccine, which is made by Moderna, Inc., to become available.


I bet if this shows any promise at all, it will become available much quicker than a year.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Any comments from biochemists, virologist, etc. on the "Vitamin-D" suggestion in this article?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/433278 ... orse-virus

The comments the author makes about "fear" and "free money" I could agree with.


Interestingly, I go Cleveland Clinic I have immune-deficient caused by MS they called me and told me to up my dose on vitamin D immediately. Less than a week ago. I would also like to hear from a biochemist, on this. Thank you in advance.
 
LabQuest
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 pm

How could this not be spreading in India like crazy? Don't they have a very open and dense population in general?
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:32 pm

ELON MUSK says anti malaria drug approved in 1949 kills the virus ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria ... ent-2020-3
 
T4thH
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
ELON MUSK says anti malaria drug approved in 1949 kills the virus ...

https://www.businessinsider.com/malaria ... ent-2020-3

Just for your information, the German government has ordered and delivery of a higher amount of chloroquine already secured for treatment of Coronavirus cases. Chloroquine is already discussed as possible Coronavisrus treatment since one month. A clinical trial to test the efficacy in moderate Coronavirus patients is approved by authorities and IRBs and trial will start next week. Chloroquine has been successful used in Italy in few cases. University hospital Tuebingen.
https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article206630043/Coronavirus-Bundesregierung-hat-groessere-Mengen-von-moeglichem-Medikament-gesichert.html
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:54 pm

IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

These images from France are crazy.
Too late now for "Don't panic".

If you think that black friday is bad, you should watch these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmvTfmIdLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKuWLD_Nqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTnw9RfZcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_maeFglaGw



Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1771
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I am very skeptical that 'social distancing' will work anywhere in the world really. Have people stuck at home for a month, its not a realistic expectation.

I think governments worldwide should expand their current medical infrastructure increased exponentially, and allow life to continue normally.

That's exactly what we are doing (or should be doing.)

Social distancing to slow this and buy the government time to prepare.

If we aren't preparing now, all these lockdowns will be for nothing


Yes, but I don't think people will do this for far too long. Less than a month is I think the most.


And you don't think so based on data or based on a hunch?
@DadCelo
 
T4thH
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:23 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

These images from France are crazy.
Too late now for "Don't panic".

If you think that black friday is bad, you should watch these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmvTfmIdLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKuWLD_Nqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTnw9RfZcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_maeFglaGw



Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."


Sorry, what for a stupid idea, to close the supermarkets. Do the opposite. Prolong the time, supermarkets are open per day and additional open them on Sundays. Clarify, the central storage facilities are still full, it is only an issue, to transport all the food and toilet paper to the supermarkets and in the supermarkets, to fill up all the racks again. It has to be clarified, you can come tomorrow and the racks are filled again. This is what they are now doing in Germany. You do not want to feed the hysteria, you have to stop it. And for your information, it works.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Bayer ramping up production of anti malaria drug .... looks like this may stomp it out

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/bay ... ght-report
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 pm

initial test results of anti malaria drug in France looks to be very successful

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French- ... al-results
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Testing of anti malaria drug in S Korea and China all prove it works ... Stanford University ... looks very promising ...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ronavirus/
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
That's exactly what we are doing (or should be doing.)

Social distancing to slow this and buy the government time to prepare.

If we aren't preparing now, all these lockdowns will be for nothing


Yes, but I don't think people will do this for far too long. Less than a month is I think the most.


And you don't think so based on data or based on a hunch?


Based on human activity. Have you ever been at home for a month or longer?
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21836
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:49 pm

I want to address some rumors I've heard.

The virus is killing more and more young people/more young people are in the ICU
On a population level, there are generally more people under 50 than over. In addition, many of the very elderly population have advanced directives and will not wind up in an ICU. Moreover, young, fit, "atypical" patients are more shocking and their deaths are more tragic, so we hear about them more. Everyone heard about the 33yo Chinese physician, Dr. Li Wenliang, who was instrumental in discovering and documenting this disease who died.

But in China almost 4,000 healthcare workers were infected and only 13 died.

Blood pressure medications might increase your risk of severe disease
No. This assumption is based on the finding that taking medicines in the angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) class (benazepril, lisinopril, ramipril, fosinopril, etc.) or angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) class (losartan, valsartan, candesartan, olmesartan, etc.) increase expression of the ACE2 surface protein, which is the surface protein on cells to which the virus particle attaches.

1) This requires a very simplistic assumption that surface ACE2 receptor concentration is the rate-limiting factor in the progression of the disease. Viral infections and immune responses are far more complex than that and even when expressed at low levels, there would be enough surface ACE2 on the surface of AT2 cells (a minority of cells in the lung) to allow for infection in any event. Moreover, once the virus infects a cell, it can cause formation of a syncitium, which is a fusion of two cells, allowing viral components to traverse directly from one cell to the next without needing to use any surface receptor.

2) These medications also increase the level of SOLUBLE ACE2, which means that there are the virus-binding pieces of this protein floating around freely, which would actually block the virus from binding to surface-bound ACE2.

3) In one sample in China, only 35% of hypertensive patients that had critical disease were on an ACEi or ARB, which is less than you would expect.

NSAIDs like ibuprofen make the disease worse
I maintain that this was irresponsible of the WHO and erodes confidence in large leadership organizations. There is only a tiny bit of data to support this, which is that some French intensivists found that more patients in the ICU than not had taken ibuprofen prior to hospitalization. There are multiple interpretations to this finding (they were sicker so they were taking more, perhaps they were unhealthy "pill popper" types, so already more at risk, wholly spurious observation, or maybe ibuprofen really does make it worse) There are no studies to support the claiim that NSAIDs increase ACE2 expression, and as I explained above, that is more likely protective than not. Moreover, indomethacin, an NSAID, was found to inhibit SARS-CoV replication during the 2003 SARS epidemic.

That said, my general guidance in acute febrile illnesses is to use medications like NSAIDs and acetaminophen (paracetamol for those of you outside the US) as sparingly as possible and only when the discomfort from the fever is unbearable. There is evidence that BOTH classes of medications suppress the immune response and fever is adaptive and protective.

Asthmatics are at particular risk
Health authority after health authority has made this claim.

Two studies have examined this:(1)(2) and both found that Asthma was surprisingly underreported as a comorbidity. Moreover, in Japan, an asthma medication called ciclesonide (ALVESCO) was found to improve COVID pneumonia. This is not what I would have expected, either, (given that other coronaviruses trigger asthma attacks) but there are the data. Perhaps we will eventually find that asthma is protective (and I am not claiming it is; we have no data to support that claim yet, either). This would not surprise me for some complex immunological reasons having to do with the kind of immune response that people with asthma/allergies tend to mount (called a Th2 response, found to be protective in COVID-19). But for now, asthmatics should still take careful precautions. They can and do still wind up in ICUs, but evidently no more than anyone else.
(1)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32156648
(2)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32077115

Children under 15 never get critical disease or die
This is *almost* true. To date three children aged 15 or under have become critically ill and one has died.
*One was an 8yo who had recovered from leukemia less than a year before. His outcome is unclear.
*One was a 14yo and his medical history was not clear. This patient died.
*One was a 1yo who needed mechanical intubation for 5-6 days. I am skeptical that COVID-19 was the cause of the disease here as there are eleventy other respiratory viruses common in temperate climates that would land a child this age on a ventilator for 5-6 days and while he might have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19), I suspect that that this virus was just along for the ride and that another virus (parainfulenza, metapneumovirus, adenovirus, coronaviruses OC43, HKU61, 229E, or NL63, RSV, and influenza) was responsible for the child's illness.

That said, severe disease in children is rare and critical illness in children is extremely rare. This disease remains remarkably polite to children. It does infect them and some studies have shown very high copy numbers (amount of virus present) but they very seldom get sick.

The illness is flu-like[/i]
I think this is a dangerous misconception. It is sometimes flu-like. And it is very often very much milder. A bit of a tummy ache and a few loose stools, which you might dismiss as something that you ate not agreeing with you. A vague sense of being hot and cold and tired, which you might dismiss as some variation of the normal state (work, stress, kids). A bit of pain in the chest, as if you did a workout, nothing to worry about. A tickle in the chest and maybe an occasional cough, which you might dismiss as spring allergies. So you go to work. You kiss your elderly parents. You shake hands with business associates and customers. And his is why now studies are saying that as many as 75% of cases go undetected. I suspect that once this is all over we will discover that it's over 90%.

So if you get those little nagging things, don't ignore them. STAY HOME.

[b]There is no immunity and you can get renfected

Particularly in elderly patients, there was an initial finding that they would improve, test negative, and then worsten again. This raised concern for reinfection. But now we know that both humans and primates do make protective antibodies against this coronavirus and others.

So what was going on? A common pattern in critically ill patients was that they would improve and relapse. At first this was taken as reinfection, but the Italian intensivists summarized their experience and repeatedly said: "DO NOT TRUST THE FIRST IMPROVEMENT!! DO NOT BE CAUGHT UNPREPARED!!" The test is only 50-75% sensitive. So it's possible that many of these patients had a false negative test and then relapsed.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
maint123
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:01 pm

LabQuest wrote:
How could this not be spreading in India like crazy? Don't they have a very open and dense population in general?

Interesting that even though India shares a long border with China, we just have 165 odd cases with 3 deaths. And all are tourists, Indian nationals from the effected countries or their near relatives. No spread in the general population.
The streets are still very crowded, maybe a 10% reduction but hard to tell.
And India was the 3rd country to lift 1000s of its students from wuhan at the start of the outbreak of the Chinese virus.
Since then it has lifted citizens from ships ,Iran,Malaysia ,etc.
Only reasons could be -
1. Early isolation of effected people.
2. Culture of washing hands.
3. Early screening at airports.
4. Some inoculations still carried out here which are discontinued in other nations , and these have built resistance.
5. Lower scale of testing.
6. Higher percentage of vegetarians.
7. Effective medical system which contained outbreak of plague a couple of decades back.

Or maybe we are just at the cusp of a dramatic rise in cases.
 
User avatar
stackelberg
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I want to address some rumors I've heard.


Thanks for sharing.
Sensible information is hard to come by these days.
 
N583JB
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Is there any info about COVID spread and population density? With the largely suburban or rural nature of the United States compared to the more densely populated areas like China and Italy, is it possible that Americans are already "social distancing" to a large extent just based on their tendency to live in single-family homes versus multifamily apartment communities or condos?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 pm

DocLightning wrote:

[b]The illness is flu-like[/i]
I think this is a dangerous misconception. It is sometimes flu-like. And it is very often very much milder. A bit of a tummy ache and a few loose stools, which you might dismiss as something that you ate not agreeing with you. A vague sense of being hot and cold and tired, which you might dismiss as some variation of the normal state (work, stress, kids). A bit of pain in the chest, as if you did a workout, nothing to worry about. A tickle in the chest and maybe an occasional cough, which you might dismiss as spring allergies. So you go to work. You kiss your elderly parents. You shake hands with business associates and customers. And his is why now studies are saying that as many as 75% of cases go undetected. I suspect that once this is all over we will discover that it's over 90%.

So if you get those little nagging things, don't ignore them. STAY HOME.


The issue here, and now with social distancing it doesn't really matter, is that this happens during Spring Allergies, which are now very present all over the southeast. We are now at a state where we are punishing kids for the inability to deal with what I suspect we will find are the weaknesses of those already using 60% of the medical capacity. How much longer will we need to self quarantine to flatten a curve, that may never go as high as suspected?
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 pm

Perhaps one of the reasons Italy got hit relatively hard is that the virus had already spread EVERYWHERE by tourist mostly, before the first cases popped up. Then Lombardia got hit hard and the government signaled it would close that region in 3 days, with the effect that everybody scrambled to get out. Asymptomatic or not. Which then AGAIN spread the virus everywhere else.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11570
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Perhaps one of the reasons Italy got hit relatively hard is that the virus had already spread EVERYWHERE by tourist mostly, before the first cases popped up. Then Lombardia got hit hard and the government signaled it would close that region in 3 days, with the effect that everybody scrambled to get out. Asymptomatic or not. Which then AGAIN spread the virus everywhere else.



Interesting Article on Deaths in Italy.

"While data released Tuesday point to a slowdown in the increase of cases, with a 12.6% rise, a separate study shows Italy could be underestimating the real number of cases by testing only patients presenting symptoms.

According to the GIMBE Foundation, about 100,000 Italians have contracted the virus, daily Il Sole 24 Ore reported. That would bring back the country’s death rate closer to the global average of about 2%"


99% of those who died had underlying medical issues.
From the article.

.8% No Known issues (3 victims)
25.1% One other Illness
25.6% two other illnesses
48.5% Three other illnesses.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... italy-says

average age of those who’ve died from the virus in Italy is 79.5. As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy’s victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12341
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 am

N583JB wrote:
Is there any info about COVID spread and population density? With the largely suburban or rural nature of the United States compared to the more densely populated areas like China and Italy, is it possible that Americans are already "social distancing" to a large extent just based on their tendency to live in single-family homes versus multifamily apartment communities or condos?


If that is the case in a categorical sense, the very nature of Japanese commuting should mean there would be tens of thousands of cases there by now.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:53 am

casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Perhaps one of the reasons Italy got hit relatively hard is that the virus had already spread EVERYWHERE by tourist mostly, before the first cases popped up. Then Lombardia got hit hard and the government signaled it would close that region in 3 days, with the effect that everybody scrambled to get out. Asymptomatic or not. Which then AGAIN spread the virus everywhere else.



Interesting Article on Deaths in Italy.

"While data released Tuesday point to a slowdown in the increase of cases, with a 12.6% rise, a separate study shows Italy could be underestimating the real number of cases by testing only patients presenting symptoms.

According to the GIMBE Foundation, about 100,000 Italians have contracted the virus, daily Il Sole 24 Ore reported. That would bring back the country’s death rate closer to the global average of about 2%"


99% of those who died had underlying medical issues.
From the article.

.8% No Known issues (3 victims)
25.1% One other Illness
25.6% two other illnesses
48.5% Three other illnesses.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... italy-says

average age of those who’ve died from the virus in Italy is 79.5. As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy’s victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions.


To quote the number of deaths per million inhabitants probably makes more sense then simply mentioning deaths per number of infected, as you really don’t know the latter number.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
 
Caryjack
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 am

crjflyboy wrote:
Testing of anti malaria drug in S Korea and China all prove it works ... Stanford University ... looks very promising ...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ronavirus/
Certantly worth repeating. :smile:
I picked this up on Tucker Carlson's show.
https://omny.fm/shows/mornings-on-the-m ... o-03-18-20

Thanks,
Cary
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 am

Caryjack wrote:
crjflyboy wrote:
Testing of anti malaria drug in S Korea and China all prove it works ... Stanford University ... looks very promising ...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ronavirus/
Certantly worth repeating. :smile:
I picked this up on Tucker Carlson's show.
https://omny.fm/shows/mornings-on-the-m ... o-03-18-20

Thanks,
Cary



Yes ... it was also on Hannity ... now live on FOX now ...
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:10 am

DocLightning wrote:
I want to address some rumors I've heard.


Have you heard much about favipiravir/Avigan from Fuji? It seems there are quite a few treatments we should be asking companies to ramp up production of now.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 am

maint123 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
How could this not be spreading in India like crazy? Don't they have a very open and dense population in general?

Interesting that even though India shares a long border with China, we just have 165 odd cases with 3 deaths. And all are tourists, Indian nationals from the effected countries or their near relatives. No spread in the general population.
The streets are still very crowded, maybe a 10% reduction but hard to tell.
And India was the 3rd country to lift 1000s of its students from wuhan at the start of the outbreak of the Chinese virus.
Since then it has lifted citizens from ships ,Iran,Malaysia ,etc.
Only reasons could be -
1. Early isolation of effected people.
2. Culture of washing hands.
3. Early screening at airports.
4. Some inoculations still carried out here which are discontinued in other nations , and these have built resistance.
5. Lower scale of testing.
6. Higher percentage of vegetarians.
7. Effective medical system which contained outbreak of plague a couple of decades back.

Or maybe we are just at the cusp of a dramatic rise in cases.


Probably lower scale of testing, plus still in early stages of epidemic where it spreads under the radar.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 am

T4thH wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

These images from France are crazy.
Too late now for "Don't panic".

If you think that black friday is bad, you should watch these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmvTfmIdLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKuWLD_Nqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTnw9RfZcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_maeFglaGw



Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."


Sorry, what for a stupid idea, to close the supermarkets. Do the opposite. Prolong the time, supermarkets are open per day and additional open them on Sundays. Clarify, the central storage facilities are still full, it is only an issue, to transport all the food and toilet paper to the supermarkets and in the supermarkets, to fill up all the racks again. It has to be clarified, you can come tomorrow and the racks are filled again. This is what they are now doing in Germany. You do not want to feed the hysteria, you have to stop it. And for your information, it works.


As said earlier, and also pointed out by one of the interviewees in the second video above at 02:30, supermarkets are now breeding grounds for infections.

This is also happening in the USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsF6ezLOMC4

Cashier staff come in contact with hundreds of people each day and are at risk of being infected and then becoming superspreaders when they touch every single food item of the customers.
In addition, now supermarkets are seeing increasing unrest as shown by above video's and are causing people to gather, which is exactly what the social distancing provisions are meant to avoid.

We need to close supermarkets immediately IMO, keeping them open is even more stupid.

This is how it's being done in Wuhan, we'd be stupid not to learn from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsTMl3txyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoH-SlYMQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyucJekT87E

So deliveres on scooters are delivering food and medicine, city busses are used to batch-carry food orders to communities, groceries are distributed to communities, SUPERMARKETS AND FARMACIES ARE CLOSED!


Your comment highlights well that people in the EU / USA are not adjusting to the new reality yet, governments are still catching up and still more concerned about crowd control, and failling at it.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21836
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 am

Pellegrine wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
I want to address some rumors I've heard.


Have you heard much about favipiravir/Avigan from Fuji? It seems there are quite a few treatments we should be asking companies to ramp up production of now.


A few good things. And its mechanism of action (RNA-dependent RNA polymerase inhibitor) is reasonable because coronaviruses also use such an enzyme.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:26 am

The time for stocking up has passed. Now you run the risk of getting infected at supermarkets.

I suggest to brainstorm some idea's of the next steps in self-preservation to stay ahead.

Stocking up on cash money may be smart, although with money being digitalised, this is an advice perhaps for the older generations.
Security may also be a subject of concern, I have heard of one of our competitors being broken into last night.

Longer term we have to think if utilities will remain available. Fortunately the Northern hemisphere is heading into the spring and summer, so that gives us the luxury of time.
Demand for gas is plummeting as people go into lockdown, but there may be a rise in demand for electricity, can't say for sure.
I also don't see the provision of city water becoming a problem, but worst case we can look into working with rain water.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Topic Author
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Any comments from biochemists, virologist, etc. on the "Vitamin-D" suggestion in this article?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/433278 ... orse-virus

The comments the author makes about "fear" and "free money" I could agree with.


Statements like this are inaccurate:

(This is why the flu and pneumonia flourish in the winter as we tend to stay indoors.)


That might be a factor but it's miniscule compared to other explanations for the seasonality of viruses.

It is accurate to imply that a vitamin deficiency might make you more susceptible to getting sick. The same is true of vitamins C and A and minerals like zinc. If you have enough more is not necessarily better though. There aren't that many in the U.S. now living in climates with cold and dark winters who don't supplement vitamin D. We still get sick, it does not make us immune to anything.


... Trust me, I supplement vitamin D and I still get every damn illness circulating in my workplace. But these illnesses have never hospitalized me (knock on wood, hopefully the coronavirus won't change that)

Basically, if your daily nutritional intake of micronutrients is inadequate and imbalanced, fix it. It's normal health advice that applies all the time for everyone. Vitamin D is hard to get through diet alone though so without sunlight, you can just supplement. Doing so doesn't make you immune to infectious disease just like vitamin C doesn't. However, getting what you need is just a part of good health and good health makes your body broadly resilient.
情報
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 am

This is obvious to some of you...disinfect or isolate (up to 4 days) your items if you are going to the grocery/pharmacy now.

Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

I use a backpack sprayer with hand pump and wand with a bleach solution in it.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Topic Author
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:12 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:



JFC if people paid attention even 1/4 of an elementary chemistry course in HS this wouldn’t even be necessary. I am constantly reminded the country is more stupid and anti-science than I think.


I definitely never got taught those reactions in school except that bleach + ammonia = "mustard gas" (not really accurate but does get the point across)

I learned that bleach will react with more things than not in adulthood and never thought to mix it with anything except for water. They should really have taught it to us that way in school, come to think of it.


We learned in the introductory unit on acids/bases that household bleach is a strong base and should never be mixed with most low number elements, especially compounds in the methylene family. Our teacher put that on three subsequent quizzes just to make sure it sunk in. Then again that was in a high school in Silicon Valley where science curriculum runs fairly strong.


Eh, growing up in New England the quality of education is pretty good, it's just that one thing where they never went into detailing the various things bleach will react with, and we just got warnings about not mixing it with ammonia. It's just a single and very specific weak spot, and I can imagine it wasn't just our school that failed to cover it thoroughly enough.
情報
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12341
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:16 am

Jouhou wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I definitely never got taught those reactions in school except that bleach + ammonia = "mustard gas" (not really accurate but does get the point across)

I learned that bleach will react with more things than not in adulthood and never thought to mix it with anything except for water. They should really have taught it to us that way in school, come to think of it.


We learned in the introductory unit on acids/bases that household bleach is a strong base and should never be mixed with most low number elements, especially compounds in the methylene family. Our teacher put that on three subsequent quizzes just to make sure it sunk in. Then again that was in a high school in Silicon Valley where science curriculum runs fairly strong.


Eh, growing up in New England the quality of education is pretty good, it's just that one thing where they never went into detailing the various things bleach will react with, and we just got warnings about not mixing it with ammonia. It's just a single and very specific weak spot, and I can imagine it wasn't just our school that failed to cover it thoroughly enough.


Sure, I get that. But literally every bottle of bleach has a warning label with ‘caution’ or ‘danger’ on it. People are just too fucking dumb.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:05 am

Glad to see the UK came to their senses, after a panel of experts warned them that there could be catastrophic consequences for the health system, based on what's going on in Italy, Boris Johnson cancels the herd immunity strategy and now working towards a gradual lockdown.

Even my toe could have figured that one out. :banghead:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/coronavir ... -strategy/

Now let's hope that the idiots in The Netherlands wake up to reality before they achieve auto-genocide and drag the other countries around them with them.
 
JayinKitsap
Posts: 2217
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:41 am

mham001 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
mham001 wrote:
And Dr Fauci is a liar.

It doesn't state that in the article.

Tugg


Sorry, that is not clear. I am referring to the poster. However, Dr Fauci agreed when it was mentioned in a press conference. So who would know best?

Speaking of the good doctor, this is news from his department....

Trial of Coronavirus Vaccine Made by Moderna Begins in Seattle

The first testing in humans of an experimental vaccine for the new coronavirus began on Monday, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases announced.

The main goal of this first set of tests is to find out if the vaccine is safe. If it is, later studies will determine how well it works.

The trial was “launched in record speed,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the institute’s director, said in a statement.

Such rapid development of a potential vaccine is unprecedented, and it was possible because researchers were able to use what they already knew about related coronaviruses that had caused other diseases outbreaks, SARS and MERS.

Despite the rapid progress, even if the vaccine is proved safe and effective against the virus, it will not be available for at least a year.

The tests, which are being conducted at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, use a vaccine made by Moderna Inc.

Seattle was chosen as a test site before the United States had any known coronavirus cases, not because of the outbreak that erupted there. Washington State has been hard hit by the virus, with more than 670 cases to date......

Work on the vaccine started in January, as soon as Chinese scientists posted the genetic sequence of the new coronavirus on the internet. Researchers at Moderna and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases identified part of the sequence that codes for a spike-like protein on the surface of the virus that attaches to human cells, helping the virus to invade them.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/heal ... ccine.html

I really don't get it. They planned a vaccine and chose a region for testing before there were any actual cases in the US? How can that be when we all know Trump did NOTHING! Didn't he? So how is it the US government is fielding the first vaccine trials?


Thank you for bringing facts to the table.

The US has not been error free but it has taken action sooner than most countries. Travel from China banned 2/2/20 one of the first, etc. Travel ban from Italy came early, same with europe, Canada, and most other countries. Not always the first but acting earlier than most. Schools in Washington State were closed 1.5 weeks ago, restaurants about 5 days ago here. So far no shut down of like hardware stores not much panic, good adherence to social distancing. The Seattle area got some of the first hot spots, probably came here before the travel bans. Washington State today has 1,187 cases and 69 deaths, but it is levelling off, not going crazy like Italy. Our first case was over a month ago.

The attached charts of how the virus has been in various countries as measured in days since 10th death.

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f ... 5839e06441

So if Orange Man Bad is so crazy incompetent why is the USA actually one of the best at tamping down its spread.
 
maint123
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
maint123 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:
How could this not be spreading in India like crazy? Don't they have a very open and dense population in general?

Interesting that even though India shares a long border with China, we just have 165 odd cases with 3 deaths. And all are tourists, Indian nationals from the effected countries or their near relatives. No spread in the general population.
The streets are still very crowded, maybe a 10% reduction but hard to tell.
And India was the 3rd country to lift 1000s of its students from wuhan at the start of the outbreak of the Chinese virus.
Since then it has lifted citizens from ships ,Iran,Malaysia ,etc.
Only reasons could be -
1. Early isolation of effected people.
2. Culture of washing hands.
3. Early screening at airports.
4. Some inoculations still carried out here which are discontinued in other nations , and these have built resistance.
5. Lower scale of testing.
6. Higher percentage of vegetarians.
7. Effective medical system which contained outbreak of plague a couple of decades back.

Or maybe we are just at the cusp of a dramatic rise in cases.


Probably lower scale of testing, plus still in early stages of epidemic where it spreads under the radar.

Does not explain the 106 dead in uk with it's highly vaunted NHS and 3 dead in India ? Death needs no tests.
India literally lifted 1000s from Chinese virus hotspots , kept them all in isolation and released them after 14 days.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13254
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
It doesn't state that in the article.

Tugg


Sorry, that is not clear. I am referring to the poster. However, Dr Fauci agreed when it was mentioned in a press conference. So who would know best?

Speaking of the good doctor, this is news from his department....

Trial of Coronavirus Vaccine Made by Moderna Begins in Seattle

The first testing in humans of an experimental vaccine for the new coronavirus began on Monday, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases announced.

The main goal of this first set of tests is to find out if the vaccine is safe. If it is, later studies will determine how well it works.

The trial was “launched in record speed,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the institute’s director, said in a statement.

Such rapid development of a potential vaccine is unprecedented, and it was possible because researchers were able to use what they already knew about related coronaviruses that had caused other diseases outbreaks, SARS and MERS.

Despite the rapid progress, even if the vaccine is proved safe and effective against the virus, it will not be available for at least a year.

The tests, which are being conducted at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, use a vaccine made by Moderna Inc.

Seattle was chosen as a test site before the United States had any known coronavirus cases, not because of the outbreak that erupted there. Washington State has been hard hit by the virus, with more than 670 cases to date......

Work on the vaccine started in January, as soon as Chinese scientists posted the genetic sequence of the new coronavirus on the internet. Researchers at Moderna and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases identified part of the sequence that codes for a spike-like protein on the surface of the virus that attaches to human cells, helping the virus to invade them.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/heal ... ccine.html

I really don't get it. They planned a vaccine and chose a region for testing before there were any actual cases in the US? How can that be when we all know Trump did NOTHING! Didn't he? So how is it the US government is fielding the first vaccine trials?


Thank you for bringing facts to the table.


facts are good, but they should be correct..

The US has not been error free but it has taken action sooner than most countries. Travel from China banned 2/2/20 one of the first, etc. Travel ban from Italy came early, same with europe, Canada, and most other countries.


well.. that is a feel good move and there isn´t much of an indication that it helps much, if at all, and no indication that it helps once the infection is in country.

Schools in Washington State were closed 1.5 weeks ago, restaurants about 5 days ago here


Yes, some local governments and states reacted on a proper time scale, and essentially saved your collective butts. Your president called it a hoax just a few days ago, and most right wing talking heads agreed. In the meantime Hospitals here where ordered to update and activate pandemic plans and start spooling up 2 month ago today.

Simple correlation between identified sick and deaths from it implies strongly that you have not identified more than 20% of the infected, which is expected as you essentially only tested people with rather clear symptoms until essentially now.

In the meantime we test people that have to go to a wedding next weekend and stuff like that, just to make sure none of the (close family only) guests can be infectious.... while, 7 i think, US States couldn´t even be bothered to restrict public gatherings in any way..... .

So if Orange Man Bad is so crazy incompetent why is the USA actually one of the best at tamping down its spread.


Cute.. the United States did jack shit in terms of testing and has no clue how many infected there are. Easy to keep the numbers low without testing...... which btw was your presidents stated reason to keep Cruise ship guests on the boat, so probably the very reason why testing had exactly zero priority.

Fever tracking doesn´t look that good: https://healthweather.us/

The Federal Government is playing politics only....... gut paid sick leave from the bill, send checks instead...... "President Trump gave me money, so i vote for him", instead of the logical way: tell employers they will cover sick leave expenses, so they don´t lay off people.... but that isn´t good campaigning.

Don´t be too surprised if you have a couple of 100k sick in a week once testings capacity keeps up with demand, you likely already have 50~60k infected, and DoD is ~30%.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13254
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:17 am

maint123 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
maint123 wrote:
Interesting that even though India shares a long border with China, we just have 165 odd cases with 3 deaths. And all are tourists, Indian nationals from the effected countries or their near relatives. No spread in the general population.
The streets are still very crowded, maybe a 10% reduction but hard to tell.
And India was the 3rd country to lift 1000s of its students from wuhan at the start of the outbreak of the Chinese virus.
Since then it has lifted citizens from ships ,Iran,Malaysia ,etc.
Only reasons could be -
1. Early isolation of effected people.
2. Culture of washing hands.
3. Early screening at airports.
4. Some inoculations still carried out here which are discontinued in other nations , and these have built resistance.
5. Lower scale of testing.
6. Higher percentage of vegetarians.
7. Effective medical system which contained outbreak of plague a couple of decades back.

Or maybe we are just at the cusp of a dramatic rise in cases.


Probably lower scale of testing, plus still in early stages of epidemic where it spreads under the radar.

Does not explain the 106 dead in uk with it's highly vaunted NHS and 3 dead in India ? Death needs no tests..


mmm... how do you know someone died of Covid-19 and not common flu without testing?

2% mortality in India would imply some 2 to 10 times more cases present than in the official statistics, depending on what country with extensive testing you want to use as benchmark.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12341
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 am

tommy1808 wrote:
maint123 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Probably lower scale of testing, plus still in early stages of epidemic where it spreads under the radar.

Does not explain the 106 dead in uk with it's highly vaunted NHS and 3 dead in India ? Death needs no tests..


mmm... how do you know someone died of Covid-19 and not common flu without testing?

2% mortality in India would imply some 2 to 10 times more cases present than in the official statistics, depending on what country with extensive testing you want to use as benchmark.

best regards
Thomas


This is a case in point in the Japan figures - the government claims morbidity is low compared to other countries dealing with the crisis, but postmortem examination is quite rare in Japan compared to western countries.

https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... 0-in-japan

How the hell can the actual rate be known??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19115
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:32 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

...

Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."


Just one question - if you close supermarkets, what's your solution to, you know, feed people? :scratchchin:

Glad to hear you're OK. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19115
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:43 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
So if Orange Man Bad is so crazy incompetent why is the USA actually one of the best at tamping down its spread.


Unfortunately, despite Trump's best (or worst) efforts, the spread in the US seems to be following the same pattern as just about everywhere else both in terms of cases and deaths.

Cases:
Image

Deaths:
Image

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1298
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:55 am

scbriml wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

...

Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."


Just one question - if you close supermarkets, what's your solution to, you know, feed people? :scratchchin:

Glad to hear you're OK. :sarcastic:


Thanks and the solutions were shown in the post you are quoting.
In Wuhan, pharmacies and supermarkets are closed to the public and that's probably going to be the case elsewhere soon.

For your reference, and your majesty's approval:

"
This is how it's being done in Wuhan, we'd be stupid not to learn from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsTMl3txyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoH-SlYMQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyucJekT87E "


I'm due for a hair cut but I'm gonna pass for a while.
Even a hair cut is risky business these days.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19115
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Thanks and the solutions were shown in the post you are quoting.


What solutions? The full post I quoted from is shown below. :wave:

Waterbomber2 wrote:
IMO It's time to close supermarkets.

These images from France are crazy.
Too late now for "Don't panic".

If you think that black friday is bad, you should watch these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmvTfmIdLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKuWLD_Nqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTnw9RfZcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_maeFglaGw



Boy am I glad that I was an early mover and didn't listen to early government and media calls to "not panic and hoard food."
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: art, DocLightning, ER757, flyingwaeldar, N14AZ, N583JB, ThePointblank and 60 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos