Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PixelPilot

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Yesterday I went to pick medication from Walgreens and there were 4 baseball matches at a local park like any other day (Florida).
People are fundamentally stupid.

PPVRA

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Crowdsourced supercomputing project sets sights on coronavirus
[email protected] targets COVID-19, number of volunteer ‘folders’ skyrockets

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/crowdso ... ronavirus/
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

asuflyer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:38 pm

Protests are starting in the Chinese city of Jiujang. Apparently Jiangxi police were not letting people from Hubei into their province. It is rare to see protests like these in China.
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1 ... 6768055296

scbriml

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:46 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Yesterday I went to pick medication from Walgreens and there were 4 baseball matches at a local park like any other day (Florida).
People are fundamentally stupid.

Then there were all those students enjoying spring break in Florida. :sarcastic:

Once this gets into all those elderly communities in Florida it will be the opposite of Cocoon.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AirWorthy99

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Don't worry, the inept government is way ahead of ya:

Travelers who spoke with The Hill said that their return to the U.S. raised concerns about how the threat of coronavirus spread is being handled at American airports, where people can be in close quarters for extended periods of time.

Americans returning from Peru — after being under strict quarantine since March 16 — described how everyone at the Peruvian airport, including staff and travelers, was wearing masks, making the arrival in the U.S. all the more surprising.

“We went through immigration services [in the U.S.], the guy who processed us wasn’t wearing a mask, but we were,” Tina Kuo, who returned from Peru through Miami International Airport, told The Hill...

...Tom Wojcik, who was part of a U.S.-chartered evacuation flight out of Guatemala, said he had his temperature checked at the airport by a Guatemalan attendant and handed a slip of paper with the degrees.

“Nothing was done with the papers” after arriving in the U.S., he wrote in an email. “It remains in my wallet. No one in Miami customs ever inquired about the status of our health, we were whisked through and sent to our respective destinations.”

He said he decided to self-quarantine for 14 days as a precaution.

Apparently, developing Latin countries are doing a better job of airport procedures than we are. Go figure.

https://thehill.com/policy/transportati ... s-airports

The MSM shows more ‘concern’ for some travelers entering the country and not for the millions who are losing their jobs as we speak.

I know there arent any scenes of chaos in the hospitals, but we found some in the airports, good find.

I am sure once this economic downturn sets in they will eventually show ‘concern’ for the millions of people without jobs, so focus will turn to blame Trump for it.

MSM is not really the concern when the ex-Goldman Sachs Treasury Secretary says stuff like this:

"To be honest with you, I just think these numbers right now are not relevant, whether they are bigger or smaller in the short-term," Mnuchin said, in an interview on CNBC. With the Senate coronavirus relief bill now so close to passage in the House, he hopes that firms start to rehire these workers, he said.

This is a guy who's father was a GS partner and his grandfather was a diamond dealer who emigrated to America already rich - quite a heartless comment from a guy in a family that has never wanted for anything in over four generations and had his whole life set up for him quite nicely by daddy. Millions without work - hear that? Not relevant. Nevermind this is the same guy who kept his job after requesting USAF aircraft for his honeymoon. FFS.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mnuch ... 2020-03-26

But yeah, let's be worried about MSM, as usual.

You keep believing I am an administration apologist, you know I am not.

Trump saying the jobs will be back fast is not true. This is going to be long term damage, the longer the lock down, the longer those jobs will come back.

That said, I hope Trump eases this fast, he gave the experts too much power by closing this country the way they did, including 100% of the population in this when only a small percentage of the population may die from this. This was an extreme measure that now looking in hindsight even Gov Cuomo believes is bad, and are the Swedes stupid and bad people, absolutely not.

This panic is causing more damage than the virus itself.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

zkojq

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Australia is really mishandling this crisis. It's sad when saving face is more important than stopping the spread.

Coronavirus infected 24 diners in one night. The restaurant stayed open.

On Monday, March 23, Noosa on Queensland's Sunshine Coast learned that one of its cornerstone businesses, Sails Restaurant, had been linked to a cluster of coronavirus cases. In the initial reporting, "multiple people" had tested positive. Within days the number had levelled out around 20 diners and four staff.

What the people of the town did not know was that the restaurant had stayed open for days after learning about the positive tests, and not told the public, apparently on instructions from government health officials.

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs ... n/12097336

Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top producer

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A global shortage of condoms is looming, the world’s biggest producer said, after a coronavirus lockdown forced it to shut down production.

Malaysia’s Karex Bhd makes one in every five condoms globally. It has not produced a single condom from its three Malaysian factories in the past 10 days due to a lockdown imposed by the government to halt the spread of the virus.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN21E1PK

MaverickM11 wrote:
How? It's like reasoning with a pigeon. We've had hundreds of city/state/region/country examples to follow in terms of this epidemic and many others and it's still "fake news".

Exactly. Anyone going against Trump is part of the deep state. His lawyer who helped commit Trump's crimes is deep state. Jeff Sessions, the first senator to endorse Donald, is deep state because he announced the Mueller investigation. Mueller is deep state because he once had a dispute with one of Trump's country clubs over green fees. Paul Manafort, Donald's campaign manager, is deep state because he gave some testimony against Trump. So is his associate, Rick Gates. So is General Mattis because he said mean things about Donnie after leaving which hurt Donnie's feelings. That judge who was looking into the origins of the Steele Dossier is deep state because he didn't expose the deep state conspiracy which Chris Steele clearly part of. Colonel Alexander Vindman is deep state because he reported Donald's perfect call to the congress. Bill Bar was deep state for a while because he criticised Donnie's incessant tweeting (not sure if he's still deep state though - opinions seem to vary). Gordon Sondland is deep state and I can't even remember why. Anyway, based on all of that it's hard to understand how Fauci and the pandemic could possibly not be part of a deep state fake news scheme to undermine the president.
First to fly the 787-9

zkojq

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:31 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Protests are starting in the Chinese city of Jiujang. Apparently Jiangxi police were not letting people from Hubei into their province. It is rare to see protests like these in China.
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1 ... 6768055296

Oooh that's going to cost them a lot of social credit. No more plane journeys, high speed rail trips, inter-provence travel and they probably get their internet cutoff permanently too.

tommy1808 wrote:

There are significantly more restrictions in Germany than in much of the US. I also didn't argue Italian style restrictions. We test somewhere between 300.000 and 500.000 people per week, are ramping that up to 200k/day and have a fairly good idea who is sick. I also don't have a government constantly lying about the situation. Wasn't the number of sick close to zero two weeks ago?

Here you go, from three weeks ago: :lol:
With approximately 100,000 CoronaVirus cases worldwide, and 3,280 deaths, the United States, because of quick action on closing our borders, has, as of now, only 129 cases (40 Americans brought in) and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 2850343937

Everyone knows that he's stupid but it's a true testament to just how dumb he is that A) nobody was able to convince him that the numbers weren't going to go up substantially and B) that nobody was able to make him realise that hitching your political bandwagon to being judged based on the number of deaths during a pandemic wasn't a good idea. :spin:
First to fly the 787-9

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

The 20 yo neighbor of a friend just died of this. Without any comorbidities. He was having a child... My friend is freaking out.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:50 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
That said, I hope Trump eases this fast, he gave the experts too much power by closing this country the way they did, including 100% of the population in this when only a small percentage of the population may die from this. This was an extreme measure that now looking in hindsight even Gov Cuomo believes is bad, and are the Swedes stupid and bad people, absolutely not.

Trump did nothing of the sort, as we get reminded constantly, he doesn't have that power anyway.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

olle

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:52 pm

17 years old boy turned away from hospital in CA for not having insurance dies;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 29946.html

casinterest

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:59 pm

Aesma wrote:
The 20 yo neighbor of a friend just died of this. Without any comorbidities. He was having a child... My friend is freaking out.

Terrible circumstances. We had a 30ish year old die in NC , he had preexisting conditions ,but still so young , and his wife and kids are fine.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/raleig ... /19030628/

It also highlights what has been said before. The testing takes too long to get results.
Where ever you go, there you are.

art

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Might it be time to look at a balance between damage COVID-19 can do to the economy and the damage it can do to health (fatally)?

I think that governments are making decisions about how to do respond to the virus from a position of far greater ignorance than need be. Why do I say that? Governments in several states are decreeing that citizens stop work and stay at home. The logic of that is (a) to stop people contracting coronavirus (b) to stop people with coronavirus infecting others.

This isolation inevitably reduces economic output, danaging business and the economy. I think this may not all be necessary. People who have been infected and have recovered are not contagious and do not catch the virus again. So, is it known how many people are being prevented from working even though (a) they cannot catch the virus, and (b) they cannotf spread the virus?

I suggest that once the antibody checks become available, as many furloughed people as possible should be checked . If they test positive, they should be released from isolation and allowed to return to work.

A secondary effect of checking for antibodies would be to provide data able to show inter alia
(a) what proportion of the population had been infected
(b) infection distribution by age
(c) by questioning the test subject, what symptoms the subject had experienced

A tertiary effect could be that if it becomes clear that, for example, very few 20-40 year old people suffer major symptoms it may make more sense to let all people of that age group go back to work .

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Yes those tests will be used for something like that.

However it will take time, so my suggestion is that for the next 6 months or something like that, we all wear masks outside and at work.

Do you think that's possible ?

Could be masks made of washable cloth, no need for surgical/paper ones.

Aaron747

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

art wrote:
People who have been infected and have recovered are not contagious and do not catch the virus again. So, is it known how many people are being prevented from working even though (a) they cannot catch the virus, and (b) they cannotf spread the virus?

Not sure this has been definitively established for all strains of the virus. Do you have links to scientific papers that establish this baseline?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Aesma wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Trump did nothing of the sort, as we get reminded constantly, he doesn't have that power anyway.

I will echo that much of the "panic" is the result of actions, or rather inaction, BY THE PRESIDENT, by not properly planning and taking the spread, the process of infection, seriously. He was a poor president once again. He could have and should have LEAD the country and reassured the country and mobilized resourced proactively and preemptively to minimize the spread.

Yes it would have had an impact on the market (his stock market as he liked to claim) and created concern in many across the country, but the result would have been better mangement and handling of the problems we are seeing than was done. And with that, less economic devastation and panic that people like AirWorthy are complaing about.

And no this in not "everything is Trump's fault", I am not saying that nor have claimed that (even though I find him to be a poor president), but IN THIS CASE he is at fault for how he handled things. You just can't lay it anywhere else. The president is the big chief, he sees the big picture and pushes to manage that big picture with big picture ideas and ideals. Less immigration, stringer military, better border enforcement, improve trade deals and relations with partner nations, etc. Whatever. That is what a President is need to do. LEAD. And Trump did not do that here (or more accurately, his leadership was wrong, in the wring direction "nothing to worry about, nothing will happen, I have done what is needed").

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Jouhou
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
A good explanation of why NYC was hit so hard. Their officials even encouraged people to attend parades and ride the subways claiming NYC had a very low chance of a coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-ONfh5jQb ... hnawcz34m7

Tucker Carlson lol

Jouhou wrote:
We can't afford to have a response more disorganized than we already have. Please, people in the US, reach out to the conservative leaning people you know. Don't accuse them of being Trump supporters or attack their political views- highlight how seriously congressional republicans and other prominent Republican leaders are taking this. Praise the ones who have shown strong leadership on this issue. Explain how the economy will recover fastest if we take strong action now.

How? It's like reasoning with a pigeon. We've had hundreds of city/state/region/country examples to follow in terms of this epidemic and many others and it's still "fake news". Trump and the republicans will be *delighted* to watch New Yorkers suffer and die because revenge is their one driving force. Laura Ingraham and Fox are already not so transparently laying the ground work that your dear trusted doctor is part of the deep state. When it gets to Mississippi because the governor over rode any local stay at home measures, they'll either come down with selective amnesia, or not care. There is no reasoning with the right--they've been infected by a different epidemic long before COVID19.

AirWorthy99 wrote:
The Governor from the hot spot from NY

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was “probably not the best public health strategy.”

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-closin ... h-strategy

Maybe Sweden is not wrong after all

AirWorthy99 with a misunderstood mis-quote as per usual

Believe it or not I've found everyone who doesn't watch infowars who I've talked to can be quite reasonable, even if they start out with a skewed view of the whole thing. The key is to not react to them when they try to bring up unrelated topics to "trigger the libs" and talk to them with seriousness, respect, and concern for their wellbeing. When they ask disingenuous questions that root from Trumpy talking points, just answer the question seriously and identify the points where they've been misled and explain it to them. They ask those disingenuous questions because they seriously don't realize there's a serious answer to it. Like talking about respiratory protection and surgical masks in particular, one asked me "well, where the hell do those come from, CHINA?" I was able to say "You know, there are US manufacturers who make them in the U.S. of all US material and they should be supported in good times because they're essential to national security. I bought Crosstex masks which were made in New York state."

He did not have more to say on that and the discussion could be continued on the actual subject at hand.
情報

olle

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Trump reaction on purchasing ventilators;

I don't believe you need 30,000;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... o-new-york

Osubuckeyes

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

I will echo that much of the "panic" is the result of actions, or rather inaction, BY THE PRESIDENT, by not properly planning and taking the spread, the process of infection, seriously. He was a poor president once again. He could have and should have LEAD the country and reassured the country and mobilized resourced proactively and preemptively to minimize the spread.

Yes it would have had an impact on the market (his stock market as he liked to claim) and created concern in many across the country, but the result would have been better mangement and handling of the problems we are seeing than was done. And with that, less economic devastation and panic that people like AirWorthy are complaing about.

And no this in not "everything is Trump's fault", I am not saying that nor have claimed that (even though I find him to be a poor president), but IN THIS CASE he is at fault for how he handled things. You just can't lay it anywhere else. The president is the big chief, he sees the big picture and pushes to manage that big picture with big picture ideas and ideals. Less immigration, stringer military, better border enforcement, improve trade deals and relations with partner nations, etc. Whatever. That is what a President is need to do. LEAD. And Trump did not do that here (or more accurately, his leadership was wrong, in the wring direction "nothing to worry about, nothing will happen, I have done what is needed").

Tugg

I think you are mostly spot on here. However I would widen the net to casting blame. Trump isn't the only one that was privy to the intelligence briefings that were indicating that there was a serious and credible threat. We know people on committees in both the House and Senate are privy to this information as well yet, the only thing any politicians were raising hell about in late January was either for/against impeachment. It was a failure on multiple levels of government to get the message out.

Luckily there were parts that were starting the response effort as evidenced of our progress on the vaccine and other small things, though none of this really excuses the ignorance on the political level.

ER757

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:38 pm

I live in Washington near Seattle - we have a "stay at home" order in our state but there are so many exceptions that it's pretty much useless.
As long as people are lining up 10 deep at the checkout stands at Costco and businesses remain open and staffed, the virus will continue to spread.
Places like distribution warehouses and grocery stores must remain open for obvious reasons, but those places are going to necessarily bring people into close contact. In stores, surfaces cannot be cleaned after every single touch by someone so there again, a chance for the virus to spread. Of the tests given in our state (around 14,000), 93% have come back as negative, but it's such a small percentage of the population that's been tested I don't think it's a reliable indicator of the actual percentage of the population carrying the virus. And just because someone tested negative last week doesn't mean that cannot have picked it up since then.
I know the idea behind the order isn't to eliminate the virus from the community altogether but rather to "flatten the curve." I just don't think it can be sufficiently done with the current parameters. Say someone who works at a distribution center is positive, who knows how many co-workers will have contracted the disease and brought it home to their entire family? Hope I am wrong, but color me a pessimist.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

PPVRA wrote:
Crowdsourced supercomputing project sets sights on coronavirus
[email protected] targets COVID-19, number of volunteer ‘folders’ skyrockets

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/crowdso ... ronavirus/

Back when I had a powerful gaming PC I used to leave it folding proteins every night in the winter in my bedroom that would get chilly (landlord paid the heat, but that room didn't have adequate insulation nor adequate heating) and It would warm it to a comfortable temperature. Did this for a few years.

.... Do not do this during the summer unless you want to waste AC cooling all the extra heat (or you will just end up overheating your computer). If you have a laptop don't do this on full capacity or it will get VERY hot.

It's a bit chilly in many places still, so if you have a desktop computer you can probably knock your thermostat down a couple of degrees and you can let it rip. It's amazing how much it actually does contribute to research. It also gives you insight into how proteins actually work instead of just some vague concept of what they do.
Last edited by Jouhou on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
情報

AirWorthy99

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:47 pm

Ok second try, Gov Cuomo from NY the epicenter of the virus just gave his update on the situation on the ground;

Other highlights from Mr. Cuomo’s morning briefing:

More than 44,600 people have tested positive for the virus, an increase of more than 7,300 from Thursday morning. More than 25,000 of those cases are in New York City.

There are currently 6,481 hospitalized patients, about 20 percent more than yesterday. Of those, 1,583 are in intensive care. More than 2,000 have been discharged.

More than 62,000 medical workers, many of them retired, have volunteered to assist in stemming the crisis. Almost 10,100 mental health professionals have also stepped forward to treat New Yorkers coping with isolation.

The governor said he would extend school closings statewide an additional two weeks until April 15. Schools in New York City were already ordered closed until April 20.

Mr. Cuomo said the state needed 20 million N-95 masks, 30 million surgical masks, 45 million exam gloves, 20 million gowns and 30,000 ventilators — all astronomical amounts compared to the state’s current stockpile.

The governor said he would seek President Trump’s permission today to authorize the construction of an additional four temporary hospitals with a total capacity of 4,000 hospital beds in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/nyre ... e=Homepage

So far 12% of the hospital beds in NY are occupied by Coronavirus patients.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

casinterest

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Ok second try, Gov Cuomo from NY the epicenter of the virus just gave his update on the situation on the ground;

More than 44,600 people have tested positive for the virus, an increase of more than 7,300 from Thursday morning. More than 25,000 of those cases are in New York City.

There are currently 6,481 hospitalized patients, about 20 percent more than yesterday. Of those, 1,583 are in intensive care. More than 2,000 have been discharged.

More than 62,000 medical workers, many of them retired, have volunteered to assist in stemming the crisis. Almost 10,100 mental health professionals have also stepped forward to treat New Yorkers coping with isolation.

The governor said he would extend school closings statewide an additional two weeks until April 15. Schools in New York City were already ordered closed until April 20.

Mr. Cuomo said the state needed 20 million N-95 masks, 30 million surgical masks, 45 million exam gloves, 20 million gowns and 30,000 ventilators — all astronomical amounts compared to the state’s current stockpile.

The governor said he would seek President Trump’s permission today to authorize the construction of an additional four temporary hospitals with a total capacity of 4,000 hospital beds in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

about 20 percent more than yesterday
from the article

So tomorrow there will be probably 1300 more, and on and on, and then this gem.
The governor said he would seek President Trump’s permission today to authorize the construction of an additional four temporary hospitals with a total capacity of 4,000 hospital beds in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.[/

AirWorthy99

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

from the article

The governor said he would seek President Trump’s permission today to authorize the construction of an additional four temporary hospitals with a total capacity of 4,000 hospital beds in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.[/

It seems to me that at current pace, the projections that they had for early this week and pushed to later this week and yesterday pushed for early next week will keep getting pushed.

I am happy it seems that we are avoiding Italy's catastrophe, thus far. And from personal knowledge, Northern Italy's hospitals are way much better than the public hospitals in NY.

What I am not happy is the millions losing their jobs as we speak, this is hurting more millions of lives with their livelihood than the virus.
Last edited by AirWorthy99 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterbomber2

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 pm

ER757 wrote:
I live in Washington near Seattle - we have a "stay at home" order in our state but there are so many exceptions that it's pretty much useless.
As long as people are lining up 10 deep at the checkout stands at Costco and businesses remain open and staffed, the virus will continue to spread.
Places like distribution warehouses and grocery stores must remain open for obvious reasons, but those places are going to necessarily bring people into close contact. In stores, surfaces cannot be cleaned after every single touch by someone so there again, a chance for the virus to spread. Of the tests given in our state (around 14,000), 93% have come back as negative, but it's such a small percentage of the population that's been tested I don't think it's a reliable indicator of the actual percentage of the population carrying the virus. And just because someone tested negative last week doesn't mean that cannot have picked it up since then.
I know the idea behind the order isn't to eliminate the virus from the community altogether but rather to "flatten the curve." I just don't think it can be sufficiently done with the current parameters. Say someone who works at a distribution center is positive, who knows how many co-workers will have contracted the disease and brought it home to their entire family? Hope I am wrong, but color me a pessimist.

I don't think you are wrong.
If you look at all the measures taken by Italy and how long it takes to have a little effect on flattening the curve, "15 days to slow the spread" and a president chanting that he wants everything to open up is just not going to make enough people stay inside and take this like it's armaggedon.

I would quite frankly ramp up the lockdown two-fold and tell people that if they don't stay inside, there is a 1 in 3 chance they'll be very sick and 1 in 10 chance they will die.
2 months of that and everyone can go back to work, you lose a quarter worth of GDP.

With half measures, this thing is going to take so long that indeed, the cure will be worse than the problem.

dtw2hyd

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm

ER757 wrote:

While I completely agree with your assertion, what are the options? An ideal situation would have been only those wearing masks and gloves can do shopping. It would have worked if we had 48 Million in strategic reserve for medical professionals, but it looks like the government was counting retail distribution as reserves, which were hoarded up by the public.

CDC should suggest the public to use non-conventional methods like bandana, scarf, to cover the nose and mouth for a few minutes while in a crowded situation, it will leave N95s to professionals.

I ordered curbside pickup twice, very difficult to get a pickup slot and it is not a smooth process, because items may not be in stock... several messages need to be exchanged with pickup person. The shopping I could do in 10 minutes took 90 minutes with me waiting in the parking lot for 15 minutes.
All posts are just opinions.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

from the article

It seems to me that at current pace, the projections that they had for early this week and pushed to later this week and yesterday pushed for early next week will keep getting pushed.

I am happy it seems that we are avoiding Italy's catastrophe, thus far. And from personal knowledge, Northern Italy's hospitals are way much better than the public hospitals in NY.

We don't have enough PPE, the doctors and nurses will end up being added to the numbers eventually :(

If anyone has a healthcare worker in their life as a friend, neighbor, family being enlisted into this battle, send them support (from afar) and if there's anything you can do for them like buy groceries for them or if you have a stash of n95s to give them, now is a good time.

I'm glad though, we're finally testing. I think it was previously found the actual doubling time is 5-6 days but right now the skyrocketing numbers are from increased testing, which is needed to get this under control.
情報

Waterbomber2

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm

More bad news from Italy.
Deaths inching towards 1000 a day, 969 deaths confirmed, almost 6000 new cases.

https://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/artic ... 24cd7.html

It looks like new cases are flattening out, but it's not sure if it's due to reaching testing capacity or flattening of the curve, too soon to start celebrating.

Deaths numbers are devastating.
It's 6 narrowbodies worth of people dying every day, the equivalent of 300.000 per year, or a 9/11 every 3 days...

Even the person announcing the numbers, the head of civil protection has been infected and someone else is reading out the numbers now...

Tugger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Osubuckeyes wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Tugg

I think you are mostly spot on here. However I would widen the net to casting blame. Trump isn't the only one that was privy to the intelligence briefings that were indicating that there was a serious and credible threat. We know people on committees in both the House and Senate are privy to this information as well yet, the only thing any politicians were raising hell about in late January was either for/against impeachment. It was a failure on multiple levels of government to get the message out.

Luckily there were parts that were starting the response effort as evidenced of our progress on the vaccine and other small things, though none of this really excuses the ignorance on the political level.

Yes, I agree. Leadership starts at the top but that is not the only place it needs to be. Leadership is and needs to be from many others, anyone who is aware and knows what a situation is and if a problem is coming or developing. Quite frankly all leadership, not just in government but equally in companies, communities, heck even families relies on those other people to step up and say "Hey..."
But then leadership needs to listen (and we all know stories of that not happening from companies down to families).

So yes, the net is large for this.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Waterbomber2

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:19 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
ER757 wrote:

While I completely agree with your assertion, what are the options? An ideal situation would have been only those wearing masks and gloves can do shopping. It would have worked if we had 48 Million in strategic reserve for medical professionals, but it looks like the government was counting retail distribution as reserves, which were hoarded up by the public.

CDC should suggest the public to use non-conventional methods like bandana, scarf, to cover the nose and mouth for a few minutes while in a crowded situation, it will leave N95s to professionals.

I ordered curbside pickup twice, very difficult to get a pickup slot and it is not a smooth process, because items may not be in stock... several messages need to be exchanged with pickup person. The shopping I could do in 10 minutes took 90 minutes with me waiting in the parking lot for 15 minutes.

We talked about this in the previous pages, but Wuhan has dedicated deliverers. For instance taxi's and ubers who are now jobless could be doing the delivery part.
As for groceries, supermarkets could be doing standardised boxes with predetermined content to reduce picking time. For example, box A at 9,99 USD contains a packet of rice, 1kg of chicken filet, 3 carrots, etc... The price of the box can be adjusted to reflect the cost according to the daily brand of products to choose from.
It is limiting, but again, it will allow to return to normal. life sooner.

noviorbis77

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
More bad news from Italy.
Deaths inching towards 1000 a day, 969 deaths confirmed, almost 6000 new cases.

https://www.rainews.it/dl/rainews/artic ... 24cd7.html

It looks like new cases are flattening out, but it's not sure if it's due to reaching testing capacity or flattening of the curve, too soon to start celebrating.

Deaths numbers are devastating.
It's 6 narrowbodies worth of people dying every day, the equivalent of 300.000 per year, or a 9/11 every 3 days...

Even the person announcing the numbers, the head of civil protection has been infected and someone else is reading out the numbers now...

Even with all the restrictions in place of going out in public, how are the numbers rising so much?

casinterest

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:50 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

from the article

What I am not happy is the millions losing their jobs as we speak, this is hurting more millions of lives with their livelihood than the virus.

And they should. If people keep practicing Social distancing. If we don't keep doing social distancing, we will have Millions Dead.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Two pieces of utterly dysfunctional White House

The president refuses to use emergency powers for mask and ventilators. The former are being both counterfitted and controlled my anonymous middlemarketers and sold to hospitals at hugely inflated prices. There is no organized plan for production of ventilators. The feds should be stockpiling them by the thousands and ensuring they are delivered to the states and hospitals on some sort of rational basis. Then the president could tell the governors that there were efficient plans for their production at competative prices, and and for rationing them out. Also essential supplies from China (yes I know we are suppose to hate and blame China) still have restrictions on their import into the US. I though Pence was suppose to be the Czar seeing to all of this.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:33 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that his stay-at-home order for the entirety of New York State was “probably not the best public health strategy.”

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

It's interesting how people are slamming Trump after he's been working towards a get back to work strategy. And now when Cuomo says the same thing, many of those same people will praise it.

ltbewr

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Despite the horrors of this pandemic, there are plenty of people doing good things.

Shopping for food for those sick or at high risk. 'Retired' medical professionals helping out. A car dealership group on Staten Island, NY offering its fleet of 50 'loaner cars' for those getting repairs on their cars to instead first responders and medical staff who don't have a car or it is broken down, mass transit is unreliable/takes too long to get to/from work. Companies given PPE materials and equipment to hospitals and 1st Responders as the are not essential businesses, same with those that do tattoos, nail salons, cosmetic surgery. Companies and groups making cloth masks and plastic face shields using 3-D printing or re-purposing materials they have, staff using sewing machines. Deliveries at no charge of prepared foods to hospitals, police stations, to shut-ins. Mental health professionals offering services for free via phone to those in need. Rich persons giving millions or more, even kids with 'piggy bank' money to hospitals and other needs.

Yes this is a terrible situation but sometimes the worst situations bring out the best in people.

aaden

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

It's interesting how people are slamming Trump after he's been working towards a get back to work strategy. And now when Cuomo says the same thing, many of those same people will praise it.

I would be interested in what the pulse of the US is regarding the virus. Choosing to continue to try and function vs saving as many lives as possible.

Waterbomber2

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:50 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Well no problem, just go for it, reopen everything and let everyone "immune" mingle and jingle.

There is no lasting immunity for this but the great USA can prove the world wrong by using your own people as lab rats. The world will greatly appreciate your sacrifice. :praise:

Young people are not immune either, even though they have more firepower against it. Once infected, that firepower starts to draw down until it is defeated.
I think that people will be more vulnerable after healing, than immune as they will have less ammo to fight a new infection.

Many deaths occur after an apparent short period of strong improvement, ie the body uses up its ammo and gets overrun.

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Cuomo is talking about New York the state, meaning some rural places could reopen are they have no/little cases of the virus. Cuomo is definitely not talking about having packed churches in NYC for Easter.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Aesma wrote:
Cuomo is talking about New York the state, meaning some rural places could reopen are they have no/little cases of the virus. Cuomo is definitely not talking about having packed churches in NYC for Easter.

Just like Trump has been talking about the entire nation being vastly different, with far more variety than within NY state. Opening up some places might be a great idea, other places need tighter restrictions.

TTailedTiger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
A good explanation of why NYC was hit so hard. Their officials even encouraged people to attend parades and ride the subways claiming NYC had a very low chance of a coronavirus pandemic.

Tucker Carlson lol

Jouhou wrote:
We can't afford to have a response more disorganized than we already have. Please, people in the US, reach out to the conservative leaning people you know. Don't accuse them of being Trump supporters or attack their political views- highlight how seriously congressional republicans and other prominent Republican leaders are taking this. Praise the ones who have shown strong leadership on this issue. Explain how the economy will recover fastest if we take strong action now.

How? It's like reasoning with a pigeon. We've had hundreds of city/state/region/country examples to follow in terms of this epidemic and many others and it's still "fake news". Trump and the republicans will be *delighted* to watch New Yorkers suffer and die because revenge is their one driving force. Laura Ingraham and Fox are already not so transparently laying the ground work that your dear trusted doctor is part of the deep state. When it gets to Mississippi because the governor over rode any local stay at home measures, they'll either come down with selective amnesia, or not care. There is no reasoning with the right--they've been infected by a different epidemic long before COVID19.

AirWorthy99 wrote:

All Tucker did was show the video clips of the New York officials encouraging people to go to parades and events while telling them coronavirus was very low risk for New Yorkers.

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:51 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Tucker Carlson lol

Jouhou wrote:

AirWorthy99 wrote:

All Tucker did was show the video clips of the New York officials encouraging people to go to parades and events while telling them coronavirus was very low risk for New Yorkers.

That was great actually.

Tucker Carlson is the only TV prime time personality worth listening to these days. And I've noticed many of those who are critical of him haven't even watched a 5 minute clip. He's not in "all Trump does is great" MAGA crowd, he will call him out when necessary. But he also calls out all the bullshit and hypocricy going on right now on all sides of the political spectrum. And for some people, if he does call out a Democrat, he will automatically be categorized as an "enemy". It's ridiculus.

TTailedTiger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:43 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Tucker Carlson lol

That was great actually.

Tucker Carlson is the only TV prime time personality worth listening to these days. And I've noticed many of those who are critical of him haven't even watched a 5 minute clip. He's not in "all Trump does is great" MAGA crowd, he will call him out when necessary. But he also calls out all the bullshit and hypocricy going on right now on all sides of the political spectrum. And for some people, if he does call out a Democrat, he will automatically be categorized as an "enemy". It's ridiculus.

Agreed. Tucker did not approve of the administration assassinating Iran's military leader. He isn't a yes man for anyone.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm

This FED study released earlier this week finds, based on 1918 Spanish flu, that the economic effects of pandemics are severe, the social interventions to delay the spread of the pandemic aren’t as harmful as many, myself included, are as severe.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.ph ... 92&EXT=pdf

Jalap

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Aesma wrote:
However it will take time, so my suggestion is that for the next 6 months or something like that, we all wear masks outside and at work.

No, experts here say masks do more harm than good.
Not much good, because it's very unikely you'll get the virus by just breathing as long as you keep your distance.
Touching your face is more likely to get you infected.
People who wear masks touch their face more often than people who don't. Because they need to adjust its position every now and then.

When I go out, I make sure to keep my distance and just not tough my face. I also don't touch my phone or my vape device when I'm not sure my hands are clean.
Those little itches one has frequently somewhere on the face, it's amazingly easy to just ignore them :)

anrec80

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Aesma wrote:

Can't agree more. And ideally, this was something not to be done in the first place.

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:53 pm

260 000 fines of 135€ have been given in France...

Jalap wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Not much good, because it's very unikely you'll get the virus by just breathing as long as you keep your distance.
People who wear masks touch their face more often than people who don't. Because they need to adjust its position every now and then.

When I go out, I make sure to keep my distance and just not tough my face. I also don't touch my phone or my vape device when I'm not sure my hands are clean.
Those little itches one has frequently somewhere on the face, it's amazingly easy to just ignore them :)

Experts say that in the context of "should I wear a mask to protect myself" ? I'm talking about everyone wearing a mask, protecting others.

Touching your face is no problem, if the person with the virus has not been able to spread it because he/she was wearing a mask.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:12 am

http://ucrtv.com/royal-palace-confirms- ... ronavirus/

Royal Palace confirms Queen Elizabeth tests positive for coronavirus
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

dtw2hyd

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:13 am

Jalap wrote:
Aesma wrote:

If that is true why so many infections without any travel history or no known contact history.

Everything else is closed, people are buying just food items. Takeout unless it is cold food, not a suspect. I don't think it is active on pizza came out of the 350F-400F oven.

Airborne 30 minutes. In a crowded place like a box store, there is a possibility you will breathe in.
Surface up to three days, every surface and item in the store is a suspect.

Yes, there is an acute shortage of masks, authorities should have told the public to follow other methods to cover nose and mouth temporarily. Mask is not the only way..
All posts are just opinions.

kalvado

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 am

Jalap wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Sour grapes. As long as there is supply shortage, that will be the message

B717fan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:32 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
http://ucrtv.com/royal-palace-confirms-queen-elizabeth-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Royal Palace confirms Queen Elizabeth tests positive for coronavirus

Not true.
https://twitter.com/YorukIsik/status/12 ... 5151523852

Aesma

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 am

Number of people in ICUs in French regions :