Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedking

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Maybe necessary, but still deadly. Wouldn’t think of living like that. I’m on 8 acres and think the neighbors are too close. Haven’t seen 4 of the 7 neighbors on our lane in a decade, wave to them when they drive by.

If the straw is not plastic and safely individually paper wrapped, don't touch it! Cars for all to protect them from using infected public transportation. Embrace GMO food, especially designed to prevent disease. An unlikely inconvenience from a debatable global warming in the next 1000 years or certain death the next month? Is the change coming?

IgorD

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Belgium has published ugly statistics for today.

64 new daily deaths
1850 new daily infections
585 newly hospitalised

353 total deaths
9134 total infections
3717 hospitalised of whom 789 in ICU, occupying 43% of total current dedicated bed capacity.

This is a country 1/6th the population of Italy, 1/30th the USA.

https://m.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/live ... ~a0a5a0c0/

You posted yesterday a link to a news citing van Ranst that at the beginning of this week some 10% of BE population might have been infected. If true, I would consider that message as one of the best, meaning that we're a week or so from the absolute peak. Here in NL things are proportionally the same. I draw a conclusion that if van Ranst is right, we'll know soon.

T4thH

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
T4thH wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
http://ucrtv.com/royal-palace-confirms-queen-elizabeth-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Royal Palace confirms Queen Elizabeth tests positive for coronavirus

With an age of 93 years....This is not good, also it seems she has no other high risk factors.

Let us say it on this way; Charles has now a good chance to get king sooner than expected.

Since Chuck also has it Willy could be getting an early shot at a long long innings.

As there is no confirmation by other sources, it seems to be fake news now. There is no official statement, she got it, as stated in the link.
But it is even likely, she got it from Charles or others, she has met, around the time, they got contagious, after they have got it and before they have been tested. She has had several contacts with some who are now tested positive on Coronavirus.

scbriml

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:02 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
A biological weapon would explain the continued increase in cases despite 'lockdown'. Yes?

Yes! It would also explain the lack of tinfoil hats in supermarkets. A coincidence? I think not.

I heard this all originated from an uncontrolled leak from a secret DVD lab in rural China.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

art

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Antibody testing starting in UK. As I understand the test indicates if one has been infected in the past. First subjects are medics in isolation. If tests are positive, they can return to work.

My suggestion is still that there should be extensive testing of the population (say 10,000?) to give an idea of what proportion of the population has been infected and has subsequently recovered.

Again, I do not believe that a contagious disease with an estimated R0 of 2-3 has only infected 10,000 in the UK, as reported in terms of positive tests confirming infection. Of course, the reported number of confirmations is lower than the real level since only people with moderate or serious symptoms are tested to confirm infection.

I have just heard that a group of researchers in Oxford, England believe that infection in the UK may been far, far more widespread than the circa 10,000 confirmed cases reported so far. Perhaps 30 million or more.

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford.

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd ... bea055720b

This view has been challenged.

If, however, it proves to be near the mark (not so hard to establish with antibody testing), COVID-19 should not be the armageddon that some fear.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:17 pm

A Heart Attack? No, It Was the Coronavirus

Cardiologists are seeing infected patients whose worst symptoms are not respiratory, but cardiac

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/heal ... tacks.html

MarcoT

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
A biological weapon would explain the continued increase in cases despite 'lockdown'. Yes?

Sadly, it seems that Coronavirus affects the brain too :)
Too short space for my favorite hopelessly long winded one liner

CarbonFibre

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

MarcoT wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Yes, yours. Seems nobody wants to entertain other theories and instead just swallow all of the MSM stuff.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Japanese media showing images of long lines at funeral homes in Wuhan as families come to pick up their loved ones' ashes.
The images have been censored and removed in China.

http://www.news24.jp/sp/articles/2020/0 ... 16718.html

What I don't like is to see so many people packed together under these circumstances.

I have a theory about China.
I think that the virus has spread to the rest of the country and it was hence senseless to lock down only Wuhan and decided to shut Chinese borders, in the same way Italy expanded the red zone from a few municipalities to nationwide.
Things should start to get ugly in China, the new strategy seems to be herd immunity and censoring the real toll of the strategy.

----------------------------

Japan can't hide the true extent of the emergency anymore. 201 new cases reported yesterday alone, the government is clearly increasing the numbers gradually to make it look like a controlled spread.

People have flooded supermarkets to hoard food, although national media NHK is showing images of quiet supermarkets bursting with food, censoring the real images.
Other media are talking about supermarkets seeing huge crowds.

https://www.asahi.com/amp/articles/ASN3 ... IL004.html

Friends of mine in Tokyo confirm that people are stocking up on dried, processed and frozen foods and finally appreciated my early advice to start stocking up.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Newark727

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:44 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

Not really. Weaponizing a virus doesn't rewrite the rules of biology, it can't make the thing spread by magic.

Aaron747

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:47 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
MarcoT wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Yes, yours. Seems nobody wants to entertain other theories and instead just swallow all of the MSM stuff.

Kind of important to be able to focus on the science instead of succumbing to hyperemotional guff.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Nursing homes in Sardinia, Italy hit hard.

After one person died of Covid19 last week in the nursing home Casa Serena in Sassari, 163 residents and staff have been tested of whom 63 tested positive to Covid19.
The nursing home is run by the municipality.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/sassari/ ... 1.38645840

In another nursing home in Sanluri, 30 residents have tested positive and one person is deceased.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/cagliari ... 1.38644418

In yet another nursing home in Bitti, all remaining 14 residents have been tested positive.
Rather than moving the patients out, instruments and staff are being moved in.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/nuoro/cr ... 1.38645155

In France some nursing home staff have decided to quarantine in the buildings with the old people, so that they can't bring the virus in. Very generous of them, as they're in for 3 weeks at least.

This is after several similar cases of it spreading like wildfire in nursing homes and killing by the dozen.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:11 pm

art wrote:
Antibody testing starting in UK. As I understand the test indicates if one has been infected in the past. First subjects are medics in isolation. If tests are positive, they can return to work.

My suggestion is still that there should be extensive testing of the population (say 10,000?) to give an idea of what proportion of the population has been infected and has subsequently recovered.

Again, I do not believe that a contagious disease with an estimated R0 of 2-3 has only infected 10,000 in the UK, as reported in terms of positive tests confirming infection. Of course, the reported number of confirmations is lower than the real level since only people with moderate or serious symptoms are tested to confirm infection.

I have just heard that a group of researchers in Oxford, England believe that infection in the UK may been far, far more widespread than the circa 10,000 confirmed cases reported so far. Perhaps 30 million or more.

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford.

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

If, however, it proves to be near the mark (not so hard to establish with antibody testing), COVID-19 should not be the armageddon that some fear.

Garbage in, garbage out. The maths they're using is probably fine, but they have entered unreliable data in, and get unreliable results.

We see inconsistencies across the world in data for sure, however a "very mild" virus would not have caused what happened in China, Italy, Spain. I think these intelligent people are losing it a bit by publishing this, they'll lose a lot of credibility in their field...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

JetBuddy

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Some interesting information:

Norway implemented the first shutdown Thursdag, March 12th. And the Public Health Insitute is reporting a sudden downturn in spread of Influenza since then. Influenza and Corona spreads almost exactly the same way.

This means the lockdown is working.

- The proportion of positive Influenza tests at Norwegian laboratories fell from 15,7% to 3,6% in the last two weeks.

- The proportion of doctor visits for "Influenza-like" illness fell from 1,5% to 0,9% during the same two weeks.

Link (translated to English):

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... sa-i-norge

Dieuwer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Perhaps one of the reasons Italy got hit relatively hard is that the virus had already spread EVERYWHERE by tourist mostly, before the first cases popped up. Then Lombardia got hit hard and the government signaled it would close that region in 3 days, with the effect that everybody scrambled to get out. Asymptomatic or not. Which then AGAIN spread the virus everywhere else.

Fauci: "Italy ‘Hit Very Badly’ By Coronavirus Due to Prevalence of Chinese Tourists".

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/fau ... -tourists/

astuteman

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
Nursing homes in Sardinia, Italy hit hard.

After one person died of Covid19 last week in the nursing home Casa Serena in Sassari, 163 residents and staff have been tested of whom 63 tested positive to Covid19.
The nursing home is run by the municipality.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/sassari/ ... 1.38645840

In another nursing home in Sanluri, 30 residents have tested positive and one person is deceased.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/cagliari ... 1.38644418

In yet another nursing home in Bitti, all remaining 14 residents have been tested positive.
Rather than moving the patients out, instruments and staff are being moved in.

https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/nuoro/cr ... 1.38645155

In France some nursing home staff have decided to quarantine in the buildings with the old people, so that they can't bring the virus in. Very generous of them, as they're in for 3 weeks at least.

This is after several similar cases of it spreading like wildfire in nursing homes and killing by the dozen.

I totally get this. My wife runs a very small private care home - only 9 residents.
But it has all our family totally paranoid.
Not for us as such, we are all fit and healthy (no guarantee, I understand).
But we cannot allow this virus into the care home.

In a way we are lucky.
My daughter was off school before they closed, and has been in the house for about 4 weeks.
I have been working from home for 2 weeks, so I think we are ok.

Staff is the issue.
They are all utterly committed.
But in the s**t happens category, 1 senior staff now has a wife in hospital with sepsis, and another has a father in the very last stages of cancer.
Both of these are now standing by their family.
Another committed carer is one of the 1.5m "vulnerable" in the UK and has been banned from working.

Being a small care home they are at the bottom of the list for any medical supplies.

I totally got the "applause for the NHS" thing last night, but people need to open their eyes and see what its like in care homes.
Not just in the UK, but round the world.
There are real heroes working in them, and it is not funny
No idea when I will see my wife again.

Just lucky I'm working from home I guess, so I can keep an eye on house, daughter and dogs.
And still earn my salary.

Rgds

Dahlgardo

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:44 pm

art wrote:

Has there been done tests for covid19-antibodies on a random selection of people anywhere?
No one seems to have any idea how many people have actually been infected.
I think this would be extremely interesting to know so we can get an idea where we are in this pandemic and how dangerous it actually is.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

GDB

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Proving once again, dense populations are dangerous.

Quite right. Being proudly ignorant, putting the words of obvious con men (in high political office and their trash media cheerleaders) words over actual experts because he/they 'owns the Libs', big Venn diagram overlaps with climate deniers, anti vaxxers, having a large group believing in fairies.
Not good in this situation.

golfradio

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Some of us have been criticizing the WHO's response of this for a long time. There is a petition calling for the resignation of the D.G. If you agree, take a moment to sigh the petition http://chng.it/kRT6BTc7Zs
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

MaverickM11

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:33 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

All Tucker did was show the video clips of the New York officials encouraging people to go to parades and events while telling them coronavirus was very low risk for New Yorkers.

That was great actually.

Tucker Carlson is the only TV prime time personality worth listening to these days. And I've noticed many of those who are critical of him haven't even watched a 5 minute clip. He's not in "all Trump does is great" MAGA crowd, he will call him out when necessary. But he also calls out all the bullshit and hypocricy going on right now on all sides of the political spectrum. And for some people, if he does call out a Democrat, he will automatically be categorized as an "enemy". It's ridiculus.

Agreed. Tucker did not approve of the administration assassinating Iran's military leader. He isn't a yes man for anyone.

Tucker Carlson is a perpetual mediocre white guy who has failed up his entire life and found a kindred audience of low IQ white nationalists that he shares with the president, whom he practically tucks in at night. Just watch him any time someone smarter than him--a very low bar--is on--not very often for obvious reasons--he immediately calls them names and cuts their mic. But ultimately, if the NY leaders were saying everything was fine and dandy, that's just repeating what Tucker's colleagues, the President, and a lot of Republicans are saying, so--is that not true?

scbriml wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

Yes! It would also explain the lack of tinfoil hats in supermarkets. A coincidence? I think not.

I heard this all originated from an uncontrolled leak from a secret DVD lab in rural China.

What lockdown? :confused:

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

It's also where the healthcare and economy is, hence why mortality rates are higher in rural areas for similar diseases, and it's getting worse;
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... rica-worse
I don't take responsibility at all

zkojq

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:36 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
http://ucrtv.com/royal-palace-confirms-queen-elizabeth-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Royal Palace confirms Queen Elizabeth tests positive for coronavirus

You do realise that what you've linked to is literal fake news, right? It's about as real as a claim an acquaintance made two weeks ago that eating lemon skin cures Covid-19. :banghead:

casinterest wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
That was great actually.
Tucker Carlson is the only TV prime time personality worth listening to these days. And I've noticed many of those who are critical of him haven't even watched a 5 minute clip. He's not in "all Trump does is great" MAGA crowd, he will call him out when necessary. But he also calls out all the bullshit and hypocricy going on right now on all sides of the political spectrum. And for some people, if he does call out a Democrat, he will automatically be categorized as an "enemy". It's ridiculus.

Agreed. Tucker did not approve of the administration assassinating Iran's military leader. He isn't a yes man for anyone.

Tucker is nothing of a man. he is a lying idiot for those that don't remember last week or the week before.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carl ... d-the-term

I just find amusing the thought that disagreeing with Trump sometimes means he must be unbiased and therefore worth listening to. An interesting standard for sure.

scbriml wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

CarbonFibre wrote:
MarcoT wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

So who created it? Islamosharia-marxists? Illuminati? Free masons? Or is this again another Deep State plot to make Donald look bad?

Aesma wrote:

As inconvenient as it is, that's the right thing to do. Unfortunately it gets more complicated when people need to see doctors etc

GDB wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Quite right. Being proudly ignorant, putting the words of obvious con men (in high political office and their trash media cheerleaders) words over actual experts because he/they 'owns the Libs', big Venn diagram overlaps with climate deniers, anti vaxxers, having a large group believing in fairies.

Exactly. Unfortunately ignorance has consequences. Meanwhile in Brasil their dear leader is claiming Brasilians are immune from the virus:

Jair Bolsonaro claims Brazilians 'never catch anything' as Covid-19 cases rise
President suggests citizens may already have antibodies that help virus ‘not to proliferate’, as cases rise to nearly 3,000

Brazil’s president Jair Bolsonaro has tried to reassure his citizens over the threat of coronavirus by claiming Brazilians can bathe in excrement “and nothing happens”.

As Brazil’s Covid-19 death toll rose to 77, Bolsonaro scotched the idea Latin America’s biggest economy could soon face a situation as severe as the United States, where there have been more than 1,000 deaths and more than 83,000 cases.

“I don’t think it will reach that point,” Bolsonaro told reporters outside the presidential palace in the capital, Brasília.

“Not least because Brazilians need to be studied,” the right-wing populist added.

“They never catch anything. You see some bloke jumping into the sewage, he gets out, has a dive, right? And nothing happens to him.”

Without offering any scientific evidence, Bolsonaro continued: “I think it’s even possible lots of people have already been infected in Brazil, a few weeks or months ago, and have already got the antibodies that help it not to proliferate”.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... cases-rise

Ironically, 101 years ago Brasil's president died in the flu pandemic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco ... gues_Alves
First to fly the 787-9

zkojq

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
Dreadnaught wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Tucker is nothing of a man. he is a lying idiot for those that don't remember last week or the week before.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carl ... d-the-term

Did that make you feel better?

Charles,
How would that make him "feel better"? he is showing a clip of the GOP and it's media outlet changing it's story. Something they do almost as much as certain screen names here...

Wait, really? That's hilarious if true. He's got at least two others. I guarantee that part of the play here is so that he can go back to an old account in a year or twos time and pretend that he never supported Trump. :lol:

Also, this means he's in the high risk demographic for Covid19 which makes his statements about it all the more funny. And potentially ironic, should he catch it and subsequently kick the bucket.
First to fly the 787-9

T4thH

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Dahlgardo wrote:
art wrote:

Has there been done tests for covid19-antibodies on a random selection of people anywhere?
No one seems to have any idea how many people have actually been infected.
I think this would be extremely interesting to know so we can get an idea where we are in this pandemic and how dangerous it actually is.

In Germany a number of broad epidemic tests of the public are already planned by RKI an others. For these, immunology speed test will be used, but they are still waiting for the right one/s, which works, is/are verified, available in high numbers and cheap enough e.g..This is just till now not the case. And it is still a little bit early to start the trials.
Last edited by T4thH on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaden

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:41 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

President Trump considering quarantining NY. This could be interesting.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 pm

GDB wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Are you arguing a virus doesn’t spread faster in crowded cities? That high density areas aren’t where the worst outbreaks are occurring?

AeroVega

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Can I just say Thank You to the German members on this board for Germany taking in corona patients from it's neighbours!

Alfons

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm

AeroVega wrote:
Can I just say Thank You to the German members on this board for Germany taking in corona patients from it's neighbours!

Or thank you Switzerland for taking patients from Italy and France. I would say thank you to Germany too, if their real personality wouldn't have come out again - when in danger - blocking for 2 weeks medical stuff in need for Switzerland, even medical material coming from abroad just transiting Germany. People never change.

GDB

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
GDB wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Are you arguing a virus doesn’t spread faster in crowded cities? That high density areas aren’t where the worst outbreaks are occurring?

I think the current fashionable answer is 'whoosh!'
To your response, yes more people in a smaller area IS a vector to spread rapidly, those places are also much better served at least in the first world, for medical intervention, policing, social care.
Look at Northern Italy, a lot of that region so badly hit are smaller towns, more rural.

AeroVega

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Alfons wrote:
AeroVega wrote:

Or thank you Switzerland for taking patients from Italy and France.

Absolutely.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 pm

The rich are different, but somehow I doubt anyone’s gonna slam David Geffen—gay, Democrat, in the media.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/g ... b502831015

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 pm

So, I have been reading the news, but no real useful information was there. What is the prevalence of COVID-19 in each country? How likely is covid 19 to kill you, if you are infected? I would be satisfied just with the prevalence numbers. That would allow us to determine if COVID 19 is dangerous, and if so, to whom.

Random testing of the population to get prevalence % should be the top priority. We know that among sick people, some of them have it. We also hear anecdotes that maybe COVID is dangerous to healthy people as well. But no probability or magnitude data AFAIK. A lot of people die horribly gruesome deaths by exercising, also. That's an anecdote that does not imply anything about public health.

COVID may extend life. That's how little we know right now. Without background prevalence%, to pair with death counts, we won't know the danger level. I would even accept a good extrapolation of prevalence, if available. Nothing yet.

dtw2hyd

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
So, I have been reading the news, but no real useful information was there. What is the prevalence of COVID-19 in each country? How likely is covid 19 to kill you, if you are infected? I would be satisfied just with the prevalence numbers. That would allow us to determine if COVID 19 is dangerous and if so, to whom.

COVID may extend life. That's how little we know right now. Without background prevalence%, to pair with death counts, we won't know the danger level. I would even accept a good extrapolation of prevalence, if available. Nothing yet.

My personal opinion, it depends on your health condition. Are you naturally healthy or your health is managed. If you see the anecdotal data we have those with underlying conditions, managed or unmanaged are more vulnerable.

I am saying this because we always hear people say I am in perfect health, I go to physical every year, Doctor said I am in perfect health, daily I take blood pressure medication, cholesterol control medication, maybe a baby aspirin and anti-depression medication to keep me always happy. That is not a healthy person IMHO.

The initial age-based assumptions are out the window. There were rumors certain races are not affected, that is out of the window.

I think your second assertion is also wrong, what I heard COVID-19 is causing significant lung damage.
All posts are just opinions.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:43 pm

The Dutch government recalls 600.000 out of 1.3 million FFP2 masks recently distributed across The Netherlands due to not meeting standards and being of poor quality.
The masks were recently purchased by the Dutch government from a Chinese manufacturer.

The masks do not attach well to the face and also the filtering medium does not filter to FFP2 standards.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2328673-honderdd ... uizen.html

Belgium has also ordered a lot of FFP2 masks but I wonder what The Netherlands and Belgium are doing ordering surgical masks and FFP2 masks?
Medical staff need at least FFP3/N99 masks, and half or full-face masks with the right particulate filters which are better, reusable and cost less than disposable masks.

FFP2 and N95 are just not good enough for something this contagious.

zakuivcustom

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:12 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
The Dutch government recalls 600.000 out of 1.3 million FFP2 masks recently distributed across The Netherlands due to not meeting standards and being of poor quality.
The masks were recently purchased by the Dutch government from a Chinese manufacturer.

The masks do not attach well to the face and also the filtering medium does not filter to FFP2 standards.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2328673-honderdd ... uizen.html

Belgium has also ordered a lot of FFP2 masks but I wonder what The Netherlands and Belgium are doing ordering surgical masks and FFP2 masks?
Medical staff need at least FFP3/N99 masks, and half or full-face masks with the right particulate filters which are better, reusable and cost less than disposable masks.

FFP2 and N95 are just not good enough for something this contagious.

Sigh...between the mask and the returned test kit, I can only wish countries to stop relying so much on craps (literally) that are Made in China.

At least Trump is going to South Korea instead.

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Japanese media showing images of long lines at funeral homes in Wuhan as families come to pick up their loved ones' ashes.
The images have been censored and removed in China.

http://www.news24.jp/sp/articles/2020/0 ... 16718.html

What I don't like is to see so many people packed together under these circumstances.

I have a theory about China.
I think that the virus has spread to the rest of the country and it was hence senseless to lock down only Wuhan and decided to shut Chinese borders, in the same way Italy expanded the red zone from a few municipalities to nationwide.
Things should start to get ugly in China, the new strategy seems to be herd immunity and censoring the real toll of the strategy.

----------------------------

Japan can't hide the true extent of the emergency anymore. 201 new cases reported yesterday alone, the government is clearly increasing the numbers gradually to make it look like a controlled spread.

People have flooded supermarkets to hoard food, although national media NHK is showing images of quiet supermarkets bursting with food, censoring the real images.
Other media are talking about supermarkets seeing huge crowds.

https://www.asahi.com/amp/articles/ASN3 ... IL004.html

Friends of mine in Tokyo confirm that people are stocking up on dried, processed and frozen foods and finally appreciated my early advice to start stocking up.

The number did jump to 200 because of 2 large clusters discovered - a care home for the disabled in Chiba (58 cases there alone) and a hospital in Tokyo (about 30 cases).

Anyhow, I can only hope that this is a 1-day spike, not a longer term trend. A linear increase is manageable, an exponential one is Wuhan or Lombardy or NYC.

On China - I don't believe their reported number (aka zero) one bit. Six days after they reopen all movie theatre they closed them again...sound VERY fishy.

Aaron747

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The rich are different, but somehow I doubt anyone’s gonna slam David Geffen—gay, Democrat, in the media.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/g ... b502831015

Out of touch on par with Ivanka’s ‘camping with mom’ party in her massive living room when most homebound moms are schooling their kids AND teleworking. The thing is both had the decency to wish others well despite being out of touch.

But neither are anywhere near as bad as GS golden boy TreasSec telling CNBC that millions of jobless claims are not relevant. Repeat after me folks - golden boy thinks the livelihoods of millions and their ability to cover bills and eat is ‘not relevant’. Ya’ll are literally just a number to the lifelong investment banker class.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4896 ... imulus?amp
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 am

LCDFlight : have you heard of your local hospital being overrun by any illness recently ?

This will do it.

That gives an indication of its degree of dangerosity.

If you're not in the demographics that are faring poorly, then this will probably not kill you. But then again, you will probably not die in a car crash, yet plenty of people do. That doesn't mean anything, said like that. Then there is the problem that if you catch it, you will spread it.
Last edited by Aesma on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cerecl

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:58 am

LCDFlight wrote:
So, I have been reading the news, but no real useful information was there. What is the prevalence of COVID-19 in each country? How likely is covid 19 to kill you, if you are infected? I would be satisfied just with the prevalence numbers. That would allow us to determine if COVID 19 is dangerous, and if so, to whom.

Random testing of the population to get prevalence % should be the top priority. We know that among sick people, some of them have it. We also hear anecdotes that maybe COVID is dangerous to healthy people as well. But no probability or magnitude data AFAIK. A lot of people die horribly gruesome deaths by exercising, also. That's an anecdote that does not imply anything about public health.

The prevalence of COVID-19 is not very useful for at least 3 reasons, mostly relating to the fact that prevalence is just not that useful a parameter in this context. 1. It is a developing pandemic, in some countries incidence was exponentially rising. The prevalence today is likely very different in 2 weeks. It is unlike conditions such as cancer or diabetes mellitus whose prevalence changes very slowly. Random testing in the community is therefore a waste of resource with no clear benefit. 2. Many carriers of the virus have little or no symptoms, therefore less likely to be detected but still capable of transmitting the disease. The incidence data we have is almost certainly an underestimate. 3. The prevalence of the disease is dependent on the region you live. Data from a rural town in the middle of nowhere is very different from a megalopolis

Mortality associated with COVID-19 also varies greatly depends on country/ethnicity and it is not fully explained by medical resource availability. In Italy for example the mortality rate is unusually high. In Germany, the opposite is true. So far in Australia the mortality rate has more or less stuck to script, 0.5%, almost exclusively older/frail people. We know younger people may also succumb, but from a population perspective much less likely. No one can predict how each individual's clinical course will be.

There is no reason COVID-19 would extend life, to definitely prove this you need two large groups of people and follow them for a few decades-no one is boneheaded enough to do this. We know COVID-19 may shorten lives, in some cases dramatically. If you want to adopt an ostrich policy like that Trump did for a while, good luck to you.
Fokker-100 SAAB 340 Q400 E190 717 737 738 763ER 787-8 772 77E 773 77W 747-400 747-400ER A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A346 A359 A380

BN747

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 am

You guys do know that the next time (and their will be one) a lethal viral menace to make the rounds in the near future will be put on steroids, right?

In case you are missing my point, the next time will be marshal law total lockdown and a home-by-home visit by medical techs to gauge your vitals....

...those reading 'above normal',

"You and everyone who lives here must come with us."

We are already being groomed, prepped and conditioned.

Unless, Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk (or other non-govt) type geniuses launch a bio-tech firm to go deep on DNA strands to make us all immune to cancer, harmful viruses and pathogens.

My money...is on the powers that be and they include a Musk or a Bezos.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:16 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

When the new World Leader comes on the scene, he should allocate everyone 40 acres and a mule.
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:18 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s getting ugly in Rhode Island, New Yorkers get out, now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ing-refuge

aaden wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

President Trump considering quarantining NY. This could be interesting.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK: COVID-19 EDITION
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aesma

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:23 am

BN747 wrote:
You guys do know that the next time (and their will be one) a lethal viral menace to make the rounds in the near future will be put on steroids, right?

In case you are missing my point, the next time will be marshal law total lockdown and a home-by-home visit by medical techs to gauge your vitals....

Unless, Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk (or other non-govt) type geniuses launch a bio-tech firm to go deep on DNA strands to make us all immune to cancer, harmful viruses and pathogens.

BN747

I thought "they" wanted to thin the herd ?

BN747

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:40 am

Aesma wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

I thought "they" wanted to thin the herd ?

Oh, although the planet has the ability to sustain up to 40 Billion people (6x current pop), that plan is in the works, just next (see plan in my previous post) time it'll be that much easier.

Heck it could start tonight and You'd never know, all they have to do shutdown the internet, broadcast BS tv and it would take you a month to catch on that something's not right.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

N212R

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:42 am

Jouhou wrote:
I've been reaching out to every conservative I know and have helped prepare them and arm them with information early on, 9/10 understand the seriousness of the situation and were much more open to information if I mentioned other prominent conservatives agree with it.

For all your excellent posts and prescient reporting, you have not opined on HOW this virus began.

Why not?
Last edited by N212R on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BN747

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:43 am

N212R wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
I've been reaching out to every conservative I know and have helped prepare them and arm them with information early on, 9/10 understand the seriousness of the situation and were much more open to information if I mentioned other prominent conservatives agree with it.

For all your excellent posts and prescient reporting, you have not touched on HOW this virus began.

Why not?

Yeah, what he said...

BN747

art

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:41 am

Cerecl wrote:
The prevalence of COVID-19 is not very useful for at least 3 reasons, mostly relating to the fact that prevalence is just not that useful a parameter in this context.

Don't agree.

A lot of data is published every day regarding confirmed cases including deaths in the same. Little effort has been made to gather data on the accumulated total of people who have contracted the virus.

I think it is extremely important to gain some idea of the level of prevalence since that will place governments in a position where they can make decisions on a more informed basis.

Today's UK mumbers are about 17,000 confirmed infections with about 150 in critical care. It is known that the real number of cases is higher. What is not known is whether the real number of cases in the country is a little over 17,000 or 170,000 or 1,700,000 or 17,000,000. That degree of uncertainty renders highly suspect the basis on which any countermeasures are taken.

Why fliy almost blind when, without much difficulty, you can to illuminate the environment through which you are flying?

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:08 am

BN747 wrote:
N212R wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

For all your excellent posts and prescient reporting, you have not touched on HOW this virus began.

Why not?

Yeah, what he said...

BN747

I think I touched upon this from my first post? I even argued with a guy indicating he was a doctor about how this thing was only 1-2 mutations away from being highly infectious and virulent from It's very first jump to humans. It's a zoonotic bat lineage betacoronavirus that has since been classified as a SARS virus and it likely has an intermediate host such as the pangolin or palm civet.

The coronaviruses carried by Chinese bats and wildlife have been warned about since they've been discovered in the aftermath of SARS. It was already known they carried numerous viruses with the SARS genes and capable of infecting humans. The Wuhan Institute of Virology, often the focus of "bioweapon" conspiracies WAS researching these viruses. Because they were a pandemic threat that China understood could cripple them at ANY time. They published a lot of research on these viruses. They were extremely concerned.

The only plausible theory that pins blame on that lab is that they were slack in their safety precautions, said "Chabuduo", and "leaked" a virus out of the lab accidentally. This was the original "blame China" theory from chatter between Hong Kong residents.

So whether it naturally jumped to humans or made its way out of a lab, it's not a bioweapon if that's what you're getting at. Large powerful countries played with bioweapons in the past, figured out how easily they backfire, and shelved their projects. Only terrorists and rogue nations think it's a useful tool, because they don't care if they accidentally ruin their selves.

Edit: I didn't actually say in the first post that it was a likely zoonotic virus, but I described the scenario where anyone who was aware of the pandemic threat posed by SARS-like coronaviruses would have assumed it has zoonotic origins.
Last edited by Jouhou on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
情報

Aesma

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:15 am

art wrote:
Cerecl wrote:
The prevalence of COVID-19 is not very useful for at least 3 reasons, mostly relating to the fact that prevalence is just not that useful a parameter in this context.

Don't agree.

A lot of data is published every day regarding confirmed cases including deaths in the same. Little effort has been made to gather data on the accumulated total of people who have contracted the virus.

I think it is extremely important to gain some idea of the level of prevalence since that will place governments in a position where they can make decisions on a more informed basis.

Today's UK mumbers are about 17,000 confirmed infections with about 150 in critical care. It is known that the real number of cases is higher. What is not known is whether the real number of cases in the country is a little over 17,000 or 170,000 or 1,700,000 or 17,000,000. That degree of uncertainty renders highly suspect the basis on which any countermeasures are taken.

Why fliy almost blind when, without much difficulty, you can to illuminate the environment through which you are flying?

Without much difficulty ? If we have trouble testing people with the virus active in them, why do you think it would be easier to test people after they beat it ?

The tests are being developed but it takes time, especially if you want something reliable.

Pellegrine

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 am

From MIT. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2763852

That 6 foot/2 meter social distance? It's just to make you feel better. Droplet transmission can occur up to 8 meters. SARS-CoV-2 particles have been found in hospital room ventilation systems of patients with COVID-19. Stay in your home.

Last edited by Pellegrine on Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Dieuwer

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:25 am

Does anyone know of someone (perhaps a relative or friend) who has recently contracted COVID-19 and is hospitalized?

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 am

Pellegrine wrote:
From MIT. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2763852

That 6 foot/2 meter social distance? It's just to make you feel better. Droplet transmission can occur up to 8 meters. SARS-CoV-2 particles have been found in hospital room ventilation systems of patients with COVID-19. Stay in your home.

That image pretty clearly demonstrates why it's a good idea to change messaging to the public to "wear cloth masks if you leave your own home". It's the only solution outside of these economic shut downs.
情報