Can't verify the information but I guess nobody is/should be surprised by this
https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/statu ... 5935521798

casinterest

Re: Novel Coronavirus outbreak

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

I am not saying its better at least they are not panicking and they are carrying on with their lives. So much for us being greedy and individualistic.

BTW, numbers from NYC today, 10% of all beds in NY (53,000) are being occupied by corona virus patients. We are still not seeing Italy in NY despite being the epicenter of coronavirus in the US. They expected their hospitals to be in utter chaos early this week, now they are expecting that for next week. It seems that Italy has so far been an outlier in all of this, and we have based our panic and everything on that. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/nyre ... e=Homepage

And what ever happened to your projection that there would have been an additional 400 deaths by today in the US. Another projection that failed. Panic, panic, that's what's going on, as the NYT piece saying a hospital was 'apocalyptic' because 13 people died.

Do you really hope things get bad because of some sort of agenda or just because you are trying to prove a point?

10 % so yesterday 3800, today 5300. Tomorrow 7-8 K. You do realize patients are taking beds faster than they can be built right>

300 deaths will come today or tomorrow. The math indicates it. If I flip a coin ,I have a 50% chance of landing on heads or tails, but the next 8 flips might be all heads. It will eventually hit the average.

As for the deaths, why are you inflating and saying 400? I gave a range and you choose to chose the highest. Is that honest on your side?

Please tell me.

13 people dying on respirators is apocalyptic in one hospital. Please tell me how you think it isn't.

I don't hope things get bad. I hope that things get better, but folks like yourself are giving those that don't care to social distance more of a reason to help keep spreading this disease. Until we see that curve go negative and back to nothing, we have an issue with a very deadly virus.

Have you any idea how many people die in a hospital on a normal day?

If you really hope for things to be better, then take a listen to Dr. Birx, and stop spreading panic and exaggerated projections.

"The numbers that have been put out there are actually very frightening to people," Birx said. "But I can tell you, if you go back and look at Wuhan and Hubei and all of these provinces — when they talk about 60,000 people being infected, even if you said, 'Oh right, well there's asymptomatics and all of that,' so you get to 600,000 people out of 80 million. That is nowhere close to the numbers that you see people putting out there. I think it has frightened the American people."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... hole-story

Thus far this virus has not caused the chaos and havoc we have seen in Italy, and even in Wuhan, that doesnt mean it might get there, but it hasn't. We should prepare though, I agree.

It has and it will get worse . we have gone from 2000 cases in the US 2 weeks ago to over 80,000 today. And we will be well over 100,000 by the time the weekend is over.

The number of dead will probably be over 2000 in the US by Monday morning, and will be over 30,000 worldwide. And for such a weak virus as you seem to think, it will have already killed 25% of the number the flu has killed this year, while only infecting a small percentage of those that have had it, and it has only been going in the US for 4-5 weeks.

You sit out there advocating for going back to work, school church, parties at clubs....... but that is what creates the spread that kills people faster.

The whole damn point of social distancing is to slow down and possibly stop the spread of the virus(which is damn near impossible since you can be contagious for many days before feeling sick).
That is why we do social distancing. That is why we needs to scare the less than intelligent out there. If we don't , then they will continue to mingle and spread the virus faster.
Where ever you go, there you are.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

10 % so yesterday 3800, today 5300. Tomorrow 7-8 K. You do realize patients are taking beds faster than they can be built right>

300 deaths will come today or tomorrow. The math indicates it. If I flip a coin ,I have a 50% chance of landing on heads or tails, but the next 8 flips might be all heads. It will eventually hit the average.

As for the deaths, why are you inflating and saying 400? I gave a range and you choose to chose the highest. Is that honest on your side?

Please tell me.

13 people dying on respirators is apocalyptic in one hospital. Please tell me how you think it isn't.

I don't hope things get bad. I hope that things get better, but folks like yourself are giving those that don't care to social distance more of a reason to help keep spreading this disease. Until we see that curve go negative and back to nothing, we have an issue with a very deadly virus.

If you really hope for things to be better, then take a listen to Dr. Birx, and stop spreading panic and exaggerated projections.

"The numbers that have been put out there are actually very frightening to people," Birx said. "But I can tell you, if you go back and look at Wuhan and Hubei and all of these provinces — when they talk about 60,000 people being infected, even if you said, 'Oh right, well there's asymptomatics and all of that,' so you get to 600,000 people out of 80 million. That is nowhere close to the numbers that you see people putting out there. I think it has frightened the American people."

Thus far this virus has not caused the chaos and havoc we have seen in Italy, and even in Wuhan, that doesnt mean it might get there, but it hasn't. We should prepare though, I agree.

It has and it will get worse . we have gone from 2000 cases in the US 2 weeks ago to over 80,000 today. And we will be well over 100,000 by the time the weekend is over.

The number of dead will probably be over 2000 in the US by Monday morning, and will be over 30,000 worldwide. And for such a weak virus as you seem to think, it will have already killed 25% of the number the flu has killed this year, while only infecting a small percentage of those that have had it, and it has only been going in the US for 4-5 weeks.

You sit out there advocating for going back to work, school church, parties at clubs....... but that is what creates the spread that kills people faster.

The whole damn point of social distancing is to slow down and possibly stop the spread of the virus(which is damn near impossible since you can be contagious for many days before feeling sick).
That is why we do social distancing. That is why we needs to scare the less than intelligent out there. If we don't , then they will continue to mingle and spread the virus faster.

Here you go again, giving projections based on just speculation.

No point in keeping those who are not at risk of this virus at home, when those who are most vulnerable can stay home. We can practice responsibility in cleaning hands, and avoiding large crowds etc as what they are doing in Sweden.
I see that those who are promoting months of this lockdown have a hidden motive, and that is a huge government takeover of our lives and businesses. Don't like it at all. Government can't provide for all of us so no point in thinking all will be fine as long as government tell us to stay home.
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
I am not saying its better at least they are not panicking and they are carrying on with their lives.

So if it is not "better" are you advocating doing something "worse"? To my reading you are saying it is better.

Tugg

Well, I think that we might have over reacted just a bit here submitting 100% of the population to a lock-down. Those who are not vulnerable and can carry on with their lives and work should be allowed do.

Sweden which many leftists tend to tell us Americans we should be are doing something totally different, and if it were the US or Trump promoting this, I can hear how they would be railing against our 'inhumanity' for not shutting down the economy and the country.

We are starting to see the effects of this, more than 3 million people applied for unemployment benefits. We are paying a price. I hope the WH releases the new guidelines and this ends.

Well TBH, 100% are not under lockdown:

It might be heading that way but from what I am reading is that the primary lockdown's are in high density population areas. Locations with low density have very different restrictions in place (and also have very different lifestyles with less interaction being part of their life). Even here in Cali, it is not a "total lockdown" I am writing this from my work (during lunch), I am coming in everyday to things done and keep things moving.

And again, I don't disagree that an all out lockdown is not a great thing to do and should only be done to protect the population from a major medical services failure (in this case as it is a virus).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

olle

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

What sweden are doing is the Russian roulette of the century. It seems like the government want the younger population to get sick exactly fast enough to balance a fast economically recovery while the now with military hospital help the capacity of the health care is fast increased.

the number of dead stays so fast between 5 and 10 per day with a higher number yesterday of 18. If they get this right, Sweden will get quit nice out of this disaster if not it will be the disaster... In 10 days we will know.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

No point in keeping those who are not at risk of this virus at home, when those who are most vulnerable can stay home. We can practice responsibility in cleaning hands, and avoiding large crowds etc as what they are doing in Sweden.
I see that those who are promoting months of this lockdown have a hidden motive, and that is a huge government takeover of our lives and businesses. Don't like it at all. Government can't provide for all of us so no point in thinking all will be fine as long as government tell us to stay home.

I will give m projections based on Math. You are the one that is wildly speculating.

You assume people are not still working. They are. Nurses, Doctors, Construction, Lawn Companies, Power Companies, Engineers, Sales People , Teachers, Lawyers, Cops Military, National Guard, Restaurants, Grocers, Truckers. The Government is shuttingt things down to save us from dumb people that don't recognize what is going on, and get all their ignorance from right wing opinionators that don't know what is going on.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I will give m projections based on Math. You are the one that is wildly speculating.

You assume people are not still working. They are. Nurses, Doctors, Construction, Lawn Companies, Power Companies, Engineers, Sales People , Teachers, Lawyers, Cops Military, National Guard, Restaurants, Grocers, Truckers. The Government is shuttingt things down to save us from dumb people that don't recognize what is going on, and get all their ignorance from right wing opinionators that don't know what is going on.

Again, may I ask, why keep those who for example are under 50 or 60 and have great health and do not have any medical condition home? no point. If we get sick we are to get the mild symptoms. That's all. We can avoid those 60 and over or those who are vulnerable and at risk so they don't get sick. We can do that.
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

art

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:27 pm

Nearly 3.3 million inemployment claims in US for the week ending 21 March. That compares with <700,000 in the previous worst week ever.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52050426

N757ST

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Please tell me.

Point of order, we don’t know that the cases are increasing so dramatically, we do know that the testing is coming back at an increasing pace and more people are being tested. While I’m sure cases are increasing, we don’t really know the velocity that they are increasing, we know the velocity of positive tests.

N757ST

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm

art wrote:
Nearly 3.3 million inemployment claims in US for the week ending 21 March. That compares with <700,000 in the previous worst week ever.

Every server and bartender in America got a pink slip in the last 2 weeks, this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 pm

N757ST wrote:
art wrote:

Every server and bartender in America got a pink slip in the last 2 weeks, this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

How about the 'gig' economy? those UBER/LYFT drivers, millions... millions of people probably hurting psychologically because they lost their job or don't know how they will pay their bills moving forward.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:59 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Again, may I ask, why keep those who for example are under 50 or 60 and have great health and do not have any medical condition home? no point. If we get sick we are to get the mild symptoms. That's all. We can avoid those 60 and over or those who are vulnerable and at risk so they don't get sick. We can do that.

Because most people that are not at rish have people they care for or have as residents that are at risk, and as has been seen in many cases, some younger folks are very susceptible.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:01 pm

N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Point of order, we don’t know that the cases are increasing so dramatically, we do know that the testing is coming back at an increasing pace and more people are being tested. While I’m sure cases are increasing, we don’t really know the velocity that they are increasing, we know the velocity of positive tests.

Velocity of tests is not important. The cases of people being tested are ordered by doctors under medical examination.

By the way, The US has no reached #1 in COVID 19 cases. We now have more new cases today than yesterday ,and many states data is not complete yet.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
art wrote:

How about the 'gig' economy? those UBER/LYFT drivers, millions... millions of people probably hurting psychologically because they lost their job or don't know how they will pay their bills moving forward.

Hopefully they will get them back when this crisis passes. Or maybe they will find new jobs online.

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
art wrote:

The BIG question is how fast will those people be re-employed once things open up again? Hopefully, and I think there actually will be, pent up demand will cause an explosion of business requiring businesses to restaff pretty quickly. Probably starting at the bartender/entertainment end of things and moving to restaurants and on from there. :crossfingers:

We'll have to wait and see.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Because most people that are not at rish have people they care for or have as residents that are at risk, and as has been seen in many cases, some younger folks are very susceptible.

And you are basing this on what exactly? both things you mention.

If we are to talk about this, which is a good conversation, you will see, again the panic we got its from Italy, two-thirds of Italians still live with their parents, which might explain their problems.

https://www.thelocal.it/20181218/two-th ... ir-parents

And as for Americans, around 15% Adults live with their parents:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/real ... rents.html

In any case if you do live with your parents, perhaps you can stay home and not go out. Let 85% of the rest go out and work till a vaccine comes.

As for younger people having issues with COVID-19 perhaps those who have underlying conditions might have problems. But not all. There isn't much data on that, yet.

N757ST

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm

casinterest wrote:
N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Velocity of tests is not important. The cases of people being tested are ordered by doctors under medical examination.

By the way, The US has no reached #1 in COVID 19 cases. We now have more new cases today than yesterday ,and many states data is not complete yet.

I understand that, but between a 5 day average incubation period, and many of these tests were delayed and taken close to a week ago, we truly don’t know what our current situation is. It’d be nice if we had an antibody test to see how fubar we are.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... -predicts/

We also have people providing different modeling that also apparently we’re behind the modeling last week from the UK. I’m not saying we’re good, I’m saying we have delayed data, and a delayed incubation period, and additionally a population of asymptomatic people floating around. We truly don’t know how bad this is, for the better or worse.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

If we are to talk about this, which is a good conversation, you will see, again the panic we got its from Italy, two-thirds of Italians still live with their parents, which might explain their problems.

In any case if you do live with your parents, perhaps you can stay home and not go out. Let 85% of the rest go out and work till a vaccine comes.

And work at what? I am still employed. Most Americans will continue to work that can. There are job openings out there for many companies in the shipping and logistics areas. Those that can't will be getting checks in the mail as the Government passes bills to stave off mortgages.

Putting people at risk and avoiding spreading the virus is what we are currently doing. If your job requires you to be close to people, then there are going to be issues with that for a few months.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:11 pm

N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N757ST wrote:

I understand that, but between a 5 day average incubation period, and many of these tests were delayed and taken close to a week ago, we truly don’t know what our current situation is. It’d be nice if we had an antibody test to see how fubar we are.

We also have people providing different modeling that also apparently we’re behind the modeling last week from the UK. I’m not saying we’re good, I’m saying we have delayed data, and a delayed incubation period, and additionally a population of asymptomatic people floating around. We truly don’t know how bad this is, for the better or worse.

An Antiody test would only show what we know. People are testing positive at an alarming rate. Until that rate goes flat, we have nothing good to test for.

PPVRA

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 pm

N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Antibody testing, from what I read in another article, will allow us to test people who were asymptomatic and got better on their own, despite never having been tested for the virus. This will increase the number of infected and cured, which in turn reduces the death rate.

Antibody testing does other things too, like helping find a cure. Vaccine or drug.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

N757ST

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:

An Antiody test would only show what we know. People are testing positive at an alarming rate. Until that rate goes flat, we have nothing good to test for.

My point about the rate was that we don’t know the rate. Until recently we had no tests, how many people were sick and unable to be tested. As well, these test results released to worldinfo and the other sites are a week old for some. The labs are way behind on testing. Soon we will have a 4 hour test more widespread, that’ll give us a true indication of the amount of people that are infected. You can extrapolate data from the death rate possibly too, but considering it isn’t often until day 14 until someone passes, and we don’t know the true CFR, even that data isn’t a good model. All of our data is so delayed we don’t really know if any of this is working, or not.

JetBuddy

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Can't verify the information but I guess nobody is/should be surprised by this
https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/statu ... 5935521798

I'll post the tweets here so people will notice them:

"At Wuchang Funeral Home, #Wuhan. Family members of the dead collect ashes. The funeral home promises to give out 500 urns per day and will try to give out all before Qingming Festival (Apr. 4). That number is already more than 6K and from just one ...

...funeral home. However, the official death toll of Wuhan is only 2531 as of midnight of Mar 25.
For more: http://bit.ly/2uBfJPr
#CCPVirus #COVID2019 #Coronavirus #CoronavirusOutbreak #CoronavirusPandemic #coronaviruschina #Coronavirustruth #CoronaVirusUpdate"

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/statu ... 21798?s=20

If this is true, the Chinese numbers have been bogus since mid February, just like many incl. myself have been stating in this thread.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

And work at what? I am still employed. Most Americans will continue to work that can. There are job openings out there for many companies in the shipping and logistics areas. Those that can't will be getting checks in the mail as the Government passes bills to stave off mortgages.

Putting people at risk and avoiding spreading the virus is what we are currently doing. If your job requires you to be close to people, then there are going to be issues with that for a few months.

Ok got it, you are fortunate enough to still have your job. Good for you. The checks in the mail you mention will barely cover for at least half of expenses of those who will receive it.

You seem to believe that the government will keep up with funding the lives of millions that this virus has destroyed and is destroying as we speak. You say you know about mathematics, you should know that's impossible.

The government can't and won't cover for everyone's loss during this situation. So if you believe we should stay home because you have your job and the government will care for us, that's a very arrogant opinion. I am sorry. People don't like handouts, people like to work as you are currently.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 pm

N757ST wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N757ST wrote:

My point about the rate was that we don’t know the rate. Until recently we had no tests, how many people were sick and unable to be tested. As well, these test results released to worldinfo and the other sites are a week old for some. The labs are way behind on testing. Soon we will have a 4 hour test more widespread, that’ll give us a true indication of the amount of people that are infected. You can extrapolate data from the death rate possibly too, but considering it isn’t often until day 14 until someone passes, and we don’t know the true CFR, even that data isn’t a good model. All of our data is so delayed we don’t really know if any of this is working, or not.

We have to wait, which is why we are trying social distancing. It helps minimize the spread while people are unsure.

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Please tell me.

30,000 deaths out of a population of over 7 billion. So that's 0.00043%.

Meanwhile cancer will claim 630,000 lives this year. And heart disease will claim the lives of 647,000 Americans alone this year. But that will probably be worse this year with the gyms closed.

PPVRA

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Meanwhile cancer will claim 630,000 lives this year. And heart disease will claim the lives of 647,000 Americans alone this year.

You can’t count people who haven’t been infected with the virus.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
If this is true, the Chinese numbers have been bogus since mid February, just like many incl. myself have been stating in this thread.

No, they are not bogus. If you weld shut homes, don't test anyone, someone dies, the cause of death is Cardiac Arrest, not COVID-19.

That is the China model, unfortunately we cannot follow the same model.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Ok got it, you are fortunate enough to still have your job. Good for you. The checks in the mail you mention will barely cover for at least half of expenses of those who will receive it.

You seem to believe that the government will keep up with funding the lives of millions that this virus has destroyed and is destroying as we speak. You say you know about mathematics, you should know that's impossible.

The government can't and won't cover for everyone's loss during this situation. So if you believe we should stay home because you have your job and the government will care for us, that's a very arrogant opinion. I am sorry. People don't like handouts, people like to work as you are currently.

People that like to work find jobs to do. Those that can't work right now while we are busy preserving lives, will receive generous unemployment checks . Sure it doesn't cover all the bills, which is why there will be allowances for rent and mortgages. But hey if you believe in capitalism, then you have to understand where it fails. Situations like these, where bad things happen is where Capitalism fails for a lot of folks.

That is why we have unemployment insurance, Social Security, Medicare, Obamacare.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

No, they are not bogus. If you weld shut homes, don't test anyone, someone dies, the cause of death is Cardiac Arrest, not COVID-19.

That is the China model, unfortunately we cannot follow the same model.

I do agree that China's numbers don't make sense, but we will not know for awhile.
South Korea has been very successful with their Social distancing, and their extremely aggressive testing of people that are exposed to sickness.

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:28 pm

And some tests are giving an 80% false positive. Further evidence that this is being overblown and we are headed into an economic depression of our own making.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... are-faulty

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

People that like to work find jobs to do. Those that can't work right now while we are busy preserving lives, will receive generous unemployment checks . Sure it doesn't cover all the bills, which is why there will be allowances for rent and mortgages. But hey if you believe in capitalism, then you have to understand where it fails. Situations like these, where bad things happen is where Capitalism fails for a lot of folks.

That is why we have unemployment insurance, Social Security, Medicare, Obamacare.

Actually an argument that all of this government intervention is anti-capitalist, can be made. Government ordering people not do something is anti-capitalist. Government saying businesses should close, is anti-capitalist.

Can't believe it but Sweden is more capitalist than the US, and its the model of "European Socialism" the left in the US wants us to be, without knowing they are more capitalist than us.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Meanwhile cancer will claim 630,000 lives this year. And heart disease will claim the lives of 647,000 Americans alone this year. But that will probably be worse this year with the gyms closed.

So far with only 550,000 known cases worldwide. Even if that was 10 times higher at 5,50 million assuming a best case 10x untested having it,, we then still have the possibility of over 30 million deaths should this spread this year.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Actually an argument that all of this government intervention is anti-capitalist, can be made. Government ordering people not do something is anti-capitalist. Government saying businesses should close, is anti-capitalist.

Can't believe it but Sweden is more capitalist than the US, and its the model of "European Socialism" the left in the US wants us to be, without knowing they are more capitalist than us.

It's not anit capitalist unless the government takes over those jobs. Dear god, go back to online school while you are out of work.

N757ST

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
And some tests are giving an 80% false positive. Further evidence that this is being overblown and we are headed into an economic depression of our own making.

Sounds like the CDC might have been right to wait for their own tests.

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

So far with only 550,000 known cases worldwide. Even if that was 10 times higher at 5,50 million assuming a best case 10x untested having it,, we then still have the possibility of over 30 million deaths should this spread this year.

There's a possibility that I'll win the lottery and Mr Olympia. That's the problem with people who don't know the difference between probability and possibility, or worse, just trying to whip up fear. I have my suspicion of what some people are trying to do.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

There's a possibility that I'll win the lottery and Mr Olympia. That's the problem with people who don't know the difference between probability and possibility, or worse, just trying to whip up fear. I have my suspicion of what some people are trying to do.

It's not fear. It is reality. People are dying from this at an alarming rate. And there is no vaccine. So while you work on winning your powerball with 1 in 300 million chances, just know that you have at least a 1 in 1000, and as high as a 4 in 100 chance of dying from Covid 19.

kalvado

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:44 pm

N757ST wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Sounds like the CDC might have been right to wait for their own tests.

CDC tests are pretty bad as well, actually

par13del

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
That is why we needs to scare the less than intelligent out there. If we don't , then they will continue to mingle and spread the virus faster.

The issue in cases like this is when folks start playing with numbers to scare the public, when their integrity is questioned, the masses tune out.
Its like the kid crying wolf all the time, or the TSA raising the threat level every other month.

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm going to make a prediction that you and Airworthy99 can reflect about:

By the end of April 2020, the United States will have over a million confirmed cases, supposing that they can keep maintaining count as this thing spreads exponentially.
>Remember that exponential spread requires exponential growth in testing capabilities.
By then, 50.000 will have succumbed to the virus in the U.S. alone.
The whole nation will be on lockdown, regardless of NYC, Nebraska or Wyoming.
Hospitals will be overflowing with patients, doctors and nurses will flee, convenience stores and pharmacies will be looted as military and police forces protect the larger grocery stores, hospitals, utility companies.

The reason for that is because
A. There will always be people who will try the defy the situation, putting financials ahead of health and well-being. That is the reason that will lead to looting in the first place. Greed. Why else do you think that they are releasing the 2 Trillion package?
B. It's an election year and people will go to great lengths to make this situation very bad for political gain. Even if that means that hundreds of thousands of Americans need to die.

Thankfully, it's just me throwing an opinion and numbers out there.
In 5 weeks, we'll come back and see how things are going.
Last edited by Waterbomber2 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm

par13del wrote:
casinterest wrote:
That is why we needs to scare the less than intelligent out there. If we don't , then they will continue to mingle and spread the virus faster.

The issue in cases like this is when folks start playing with numbers to scare the public, when their integrity is questioned, the masses tune out.
Its like the kid crying wolf all the time, or the TSA raising the threat level every other month.

Stupid people always tune out. That is why the businesses are forced to shut down.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I'm going to make a prediction that you and Airworthy99 can reflect about.

By the end of April 2020, the United States will have over a million confirmed cases, supposing that they can keep maintaining count as this thing spreads exponentially.
>Remember that exponential spread requires exponential growth in testing capabilities.
Hospitals will be overflowing with patients, doctors and nurses will flee, convenience stores and pharmacies will be looted as military and police forces protect the larger grocery stores, hospitals, utility companies.

A. There will always be people who will try the defy the situation, putting financials ahead of health and well-being. That is the reason that will lead to looting in the first place. Greed.
B. It's an election year and people will go to great lengths to make this situation very bad for political gain. Even if that means that hundreds of thousands of Americans need to die.

Thankfully, it's just me throwing an opinion.

And then you have Sweden, which hasn't seen any of that. Despite them not closing anything. Not even their borders.

So why can't you also do a prediction about them?

casinterest

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

A. There will always be people who will try the defy the situation, putting financials ahead of health and well-being. That is the reason that will lead to looting in the first place. Greed.

And then you have Sweden, which hasn't seen any of that. Despite them not closing anything. Not even their borders.

Please refer to earlier in the thread.
Sweden is in worse shape than the USA right now .

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

How could they, they only have 72 dead. How is that worse shape? and I take it they also have 'experts' why haven't they closed businesses and their country? Swedes aren't stupid much less hate their own people. Perhaps they know that they have a responsibility each of them to contain the spread without calling on closing things? More power to the individual. My kind of people.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

How could they, they only have 72 dead. How is that worse shape? and I take it they also have 'experts' why haven't they closed businesses and their country? Swedes aren't stupid much less hate their own people. Perhaps they know that they have a responsibility each of them to contain the spread without calling on closing things? More power to the individual. My kind of people.

Measured per capita, Sweden is worse hit. 280 cases per million vs 252 in the US. 7 deaths per million in Sweden vs 3,6 in the US.

Sweden is in the midst of a big debate right now regarding the lack of shutdown. Health experts and researchers disagree with the government and health authorities on it and want a shutdown.

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm not following the situation in Sweden, can't follow every single country.
However, a quick search seems to show that Sweden has given up on testing and is taking a high risk approach.

Now, Sweden can afford to take some risk as they have one of the best universal health care systems in the world. There is some margin there.
Do you think that the U.S. has the same margin and can afford the same risk-taking?

In any case, it's impossible to make meaningful predictions for Sweden when we don't have a statistical basis, ie little testing going on.
The only thing we can do is to observe and see if we suddenly starts seeing images of overflowing hospitals and doctors sounding alarms.
Without a proper strategy and in absence of a cure, there is no reason why any country that hasn't cut itself from the rest of the world from early on (are there any?) will be spared from that scenario.

scbriml

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
How could they, they only have 72 dead. How is that worse shape?

Their population is 1/33rd that of the USA. Multiply their figures by 33 and they have something like 10% more cases and over twice the number of deaths of the USA. How is that not worse shape?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AirWorthy99

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Measured per capita, Sweden is worse hit. 280 cases per million vs 252 in the US. 7 deaths per million in Sweden vs 3,6 in the US.

Sweden is in the midst of a big debate right now regarding the lack of shutdown. Health experts and researchers disagree with the government and health authorities on it and want a shutdown.

Very true, per capita is worse. They have been exposed to this virus as long as any other nation in the world, and yet to me the deaths despite their small population seems rather small for a country that hasn't done any sort of measures.

dtw2hyd

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Heard there is a joke/meme going around in India. Generally, Chinese products are low-quality, how come COVID-19 is of such high quality.

Close to home.
Michigan is now headline news. Still beats me, why the City of Detroit and Wayne County has so many cases. Unless the state gives data by zip code, this is a mystery. It is not that Detroiters are globetrotters.

Oakland County is not far behind

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/politics ... index.html

The state HHS started published total specimen numbers.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0, ... --,00.html

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Leading Belgian virologist Dr. Van Ranst is projecting that 10% of Belgians are already carriers, most unknowing.
The basis for this conclusion is that all patients coming into hospital UZ Brussel, regardless of reason of their visit, are receiving a mandatory CT scan of the lungs, and 10% are showing anomalies that can be attributed to Covid19. The CT scans are being used as a triage method pending faster tests.
The virologist calls it "encouraging news" as it would prove that many who don't show symptoms are developping anti-bodies and immunity and that this would ultimately lead to herd immuinity.

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/va ... ~aa4c30fe/

So in Belgium alone, the infections could be in the millions.
I'm not as excited about this as Dr. Van Ranst, as having no symptoms is no proof that the person will be fine.
In some people, the illness is not noticeable until hours before death.

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Speaking of Sweden:

Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teenager who inspired the global school climate strikes, says it is “extremely likely” she has had the Covid-19 virus.

The teenager, whose solo protest outside the Swedish parliament kickstarted the global youth campaign, said in a post on Instagram that she had self isolated after she and her father returned from a trip around central Europe about two weeks ago.

A few days later she said they both began to feel ill, and she complained of feeling tired with “shivers, sore throat and cough”.

Thunberg said she had not been tested for the virus, in line with the policy in Sweden, and was now “basically recovered”.

But she issued an urgent warning to other young people to take the virus seriously – even if they themselves were often only facing mild symptoms.

“We who do not belong to a risk group have an enormous responsibility, our actions can be the difference between life and death for many others.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

But wait, isn't the virus good for the planet? Whose side are you on Greta? :duck: