caliboy93
Topic Author

Airline employee stalks female passenger

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 am

So this is a crazy story. An airline employee gets a passenger's phone number and incessantly texts her throughout the flight like a stalker
https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-sues-am ... d=68268834

Jouhou

Re: Airline employee stalks female passenger

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 am

When you're a woman, that's sort of non-news. I think every lady meets one of these. Particularly in our late teens and early twenties. It's almost relieving to be a bit aged and not as much of a magnet for these types.
情報

vhtje

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:51 am

So why didn’t she simply block the sender’s number once he refused to reveal who he was and/or she decided she didn’t like the direction the conversation was going?

How can this escalate into legal action against the airline?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

TObound

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm

You guys seriously blaming the woman for being stalked? Unbelievable.

jumpship

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm

How do you all know she decided to keep getting the texts? Have you ever been stalked? I have. It brings out a lot extra. And before you ask. I could sue over it but I have been through enough and hopefully it is done.
There are so many things that can get into a person’s mind. What if it is a pilot and he would crash the plane if she did that? I think a bit of people would have that thought alone, even ones that don’t normally have anxiety. How do you know it didn’t trigger other things?
Strong people survive in messed up scenarios, get faulted for not handling it right by people with no exact context and then go about their lives the best they can while filtering things through a new set of eyes and challenges to deal with that was not asked for.
Have a nice day.

Planeboy17

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Wow, so many opinions with so little evidence. So many replies about how this woman is a “ gold digger”, and how women run to HR every time they are offered a compliment, but I have seen only one reply where someone actually blames this texter.
Maybe she didn’t know how to block the text?

art

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:43 pm

TObound wrote:

:checkmark:

This is a bit like someone repeatedly trying to steal your handbag and your response to this criminal behaviour being put on trial. Ridiculous IMO.

intrance

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Blocking the number does seem like an easy solution. On the other hand, the idiot behaving this way would just do it again to someone else. Perhaps now he learns his lesson instead.

People just suck.

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm

jumpship wrote:
How do you all know she decided to keep getting the texts? Have you ever been stalked? I have. It brings out a lot extra. And before you ask. I could sue over it but I have been through enough and hopefully it is done.
There are so many things that can get into a person’s mind. What if it is a pilot and he would crash the plane if she did that? I think a bit of people would have that thought alone, even ones that don’t normally have anxiety. How do you know it didn’t trigger other things?
Strong people survive in messed up scenarios, get faulted for not handling it right by people with no exact context and then go about their lives the best they can while filtering things through a new set of eyes and challenges to deal with that was not asked for.

If she hasn't kept the texts, she doesn't have a case.
She decided to sue AA based on sexually-explicit texts; she will need to prove this, hence she has the texts.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:14 pm

intrance wrote:
Blocking the number does seem like an easy solution. On the other hand, the idiot behaving this way would just do it again to someone else. Perhaps now he learns his lesson instead.

People just suck.

And AA is responsible when it fails to discipline employees who suck. If her attorney can prove this point AA looks very, very bad:

The suit also alleges that American Airlines knew of John Doe’s propensity to contact the airline’s customers in this way but failed to terminate his employment.

VV

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Why is it important to specify "female passenger"?

An airline employee stalking any passenger is creepy, in my opinion.

Jetty

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

VV wrote:

Most men wouldn’t care if they got send random texts by female airline staff. Depending on the content I would laugh about it or accept the invitation.

Reality is most women have been physically intimidated by men in their lives while the other way around is something rare. That influences how freakish advances are perceived.

kiowa

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:32 pm

VV wrote:

Why is it important to specify "airline employee"?

someone stalking someone is creepy.

cschleic

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm

The linked story says she had her phone number on her luggage tag, if that's correct. Shouldn't do that these days.

At the same, blaming her is ridiculous at best. There was at least one text starting the string before she could have blocked the number. Considering it came from an AA employee, that's one too many. And they may have started out more benign before any receiving party would have blocked the number. The point here is....an AA employee was sexually harassing a customer on one of their flights, and had a history of doing it. THAT is the issue, not the woman's reaction. This constant "blame the other person" mentality is infecting a.net.
Last edited by cschleic on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FGITD

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm

cschleic wrote:
The linked story says she had her phone number on her luggage tag, if that's correct. Shouldn't do that these days.

Working with baggage service people has long since taught me that the only thing you want on the outside of your bag is the checked tag, and perhaps a tag with just your name. I also recommend putting those little paper tags they give you at the counters, simply because it'll draw attention to the airline staff if it has their logo on it.

Everything else goes on a tag inside the bag.

It’s amazing what people put in plain sight. Names, email addresses, home addresses.

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 pm

FGITD wrote:
cschleic wrote:

Working with baggage service people has long since taught me that the only thing you want on the outside of your bag is the checked tag, and perhaps a tag with just your name. I also recommend putting those little paper tags they give you at the counters, simply because it'll draw attention to the airline staff if it has their logo on it.

It’s amazing what people put in plain sight. Names, email addresses, home addresses.

Well, some airlines recommend it:
Air France: We also recommend that you attach an address tag including your first and last name, mobile phone number and e-mail address to the outside of your baggage.

gatibosgru

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 pm

vhtje wrote:
So why didn’t she simply block the sender’s number once he refused to reveal who he was and/or she decided she didn’t like the direction the conversation was going?

Because he is an airline employee harassing a customer?
@DadCelo

SuseJ772

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm

VV wrote:

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them” - Margaret Atwood

It’s a different world out there for women then men. And that difference is based on reality. Specifying matters.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

WesternDC6B

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 pm

FGITD wrote:
cschleic wrote:

I put a business card in a plastic holder that only shows one side. I write “open to read”’on the side of the card that is readily visible.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

AtomicGarden

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 am

WayexTDI wrote:
FGITD wrote:
cschleic wrote:

Well, some airlines recommend it:
Air France: We also recommend that you attach an address tag including your first and last name, mobile phone number and e-mail address to the outside of your baggage.

I put my info on a crappy A4 sheet of paper inside an outside pocket.

But c'mon, honestly, we give away personal info online, particularly on social media, for no good reasons. Creep could've been an airline employee just as well as a Facebook worker, or a gym desk clerk.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

usdcaguy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 am

It's really amazing how little bits of information can get you in trouble. I once was working at the ticket counter and gave a guy who was having a rough day upgrades on his flights home. Little did I know that he would incessantly be calling the ticket counter to reach me (lord knows how he got the number) and eventually would be calling me at home. All from the name plate I was wearing. It's important to note that most preprinted bag tags have your name on them, anyway. I recommend that people put a name tag with their info on the outside of the bag as well as inside in case the bag tag falls off, as many agents do not think to open the bag and search for your information. If a bag tag falls off, and a passenger's name tag is already attached, it's easy to find them on the tracer list. One way to prevent people from readily seeing your name is to have a name tag with the information closed to the outside. Not sure what happened here, but I'll bet the woman's name was readily accessible.

vhtje

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
vhtje wrote:

The fact he is an airline employee doesn't matter. He could be a hotel employee, a hospital employee, a department store employee, a gym employee, a club employee... any business/service/organisation that stores as reasonable amount of data on their customers/users/members and therefore employees of which are able to obtain customer/user/member's mobile phone numbers.

But that isn't my point. My point is, in this digital, app-enabled, texting world, we all get attention online from others we do not necessarily welcome. The answer to this is the block button, available whenever the interaction is going in a direction with which we are not comfortable. Why didn't Ms Barno simply block him?

Note: none of what I wrote above is to defend the guy, or to say is actions were not repugnant. I have no idea, I do not know what he sent. His texts could have been completely benign, or they could have been the filthiest, most offensive texts known to humankind. I simply don't know - and my thresholds of tolerance for this are probably completely different to Ms Barno's. But, if Ms Barno didn't like what she was receiving, she had the power to stop it, by blocking the sender. But she chose not to, for whatever reason. If she was that offended by it, she could have stopped it much earlier.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

gatibosgru

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 am

vhtje wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
vhtje wrote:

The fact he is an airline employee doesn't matter. He could be a hotel employee, a hospital employee, a department store employee, a gym employee, a club employee... any business/service/organisation that stores as reasonable amount of data on their customers/users/members and therefore employees of which are able to obtain customer/user/member's mobile phone numbers.

But that isn't my point. My point is, in this digital, app-enabled, texting world, we all get attention online from others we do not necessarily welcome. The answer to this is the block button, available whenever the interaction is going in a direction with which we are not comfortable. Why didn't Ms Barno simply block him?

Note: none of what I wrote above is to defend the guy, or to say is actions were not repugnant. I have no idea, I do not know what he sent. His texts could have been completely benign, or they could have been the filthiest, most offensive texts known to humankind. I simply don't know - and my thresholds of tolerance for this are probably completely different to Ms Barno's. But, if Ms Barno didn't like what she was receiving, she had the power to stop it, by blocking the sender. But she chose not to, for whatever reason. If she was that offended by it, she could have stopped it much earlier.

Blocking them won't prevent them from doing it to others. At that point evidence is the only way to prevent them from continuing said behavior. But I will admit I know very little of the case, just saying I understand why blocking "won't make the problem go away", it only makes the problem go away for YOU.
@DadCelo

G-CIVP

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 am

In the UK, the employee would have breached Data Protection laws by obtaining the individual's private number by accessing his employer's IT systems. Then by texting her during the flight is harassment, pure and simple. Ten out of ten to the passenger for retaining the texts and suing the airline. Hopefully she will be compensated.

G-CIVP

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:27 am

And just to add, the employee may face a disciplinary due to his untoward behaviour. Not exactly customer friendly!

Redd

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:41 am

vhtje wrote:

I have to agree with you here. I've had two ex-girlfriends and a few female friends in my lifetime who perpetually had stalkers or were randomly stalked on a regular basis. Is I got older I learned that they were just that type, with some kind of mental issue. I can identify a woman like that now in minutes, and I know that, no matter how hot she is, it's better to just KEEP THE HELL AWAY..... And in the case of this woman, she really could have just blocked the number instead of playing the stalked Sherlock Holmes. Maybe she's just ridiculously naive.

I don't want to victim shame here as I know there are some creepy and dangerous men out there who would do things like that. That's why I think it would be better in this case to wait until all the facts are out before coming to any conclusions.

bennett123

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 am

A ‘woman like that’?.

Redd

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 pm

bennett123 wrote:
A ‘woman like that’?.

Do you need any further clarification?

Pi7472000

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:45 am

TObound wrote:

Exactly! It is so gross how women are still blamed for the disgusting behavior of men. We still have a long way to go as a country and world to make sure all women are valued, equal, and treated the same as men. Very sad we have made such little progress in the treatment of women around the world.

Sokes

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:21 am

SuseJ772 wrote:

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them” - Margaret Atwood

It’s a different world out there for women then men. And that difference is based on reality. Specifying matters.

Not speaking of stalking, but of more serious threats to women:
If only a small percentage of women who get raped would poke out the eyes of the offender, the world would be a better place.
I also believe that lobotomizing 1% of the most sadistic 5 year old would go a long way. By the time they are 7 years old they know what society expects and go into hiding. Later they may just torture their dog, partner or children without being sadistic on the outside.
But who should pick those children ? Kindergarten employees?
What I don't understand: Many women after a rape feel guilt. How can one feel guilty for being the victim of a crime?

I'm German. Having spent considerable time thinking about the history of my country concerning Poland and Russia my main conclusion is: Good people never kill bad people. The movie "Platoon" shows what I mean. Discussions are on, they know what is right, but they don't do it. Same for me. Sane people have a strong repulsion to kill unless told to do so by some authority. It's actually a good thing in peacetime. Paranoid people would do great harm otherwise.
I don't find any solution. Maybe eugenics could help. I don't speak of breeding the best 1%. I speak of not allowing 1% to have children.

One can decrease aggression in dogs and bulls by sterilization.
"Also, rapists aren’t necessarily driven by sexual desire; a lower sex drive won’t prevent attacks that are motivated by a desire for power.
Surgical castration, also called orchiectomy, involves the physical removal of the testicles, which produce 95 percent of a man’s testosterone. However, the small amount still produced by the adrenal glands could be enough to allow some sexual function to remain. According to one study from the 1960s of about 1,000 German sex offenders who had been castrated, 65 percent men immediately felt their libido plummet, but 18 percent were able to have sex 20 years later. Based on the small amount of data that exist on this subject, it appears between zero and 10 percent of sexual offenders who are surgically castrated repeat their crime."
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/200 ... rated.html

Sterilization may be more realistic than to lobotomize 5 year old children. But then there are many ways sadists can harm people without being rapists.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

art

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Oh dear, Sokes. Are you a Jagermeister or a Jagermeisterin, I wonder.

Sokes

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:57 am

art wrote:
Oh dear, Sokes. Are you a Jagermeister or a Jagermeisterin, I wonder.

I'm male, but don't go hunting.
A six year old tried to push my son down the steps twice. That was even a friend of my son.
I phoned the father. One week later the boy hit my son on the head. My son had headache for one week. Shortly after complains from the school started. He became hyperactive and since then his grades went gradually down. Now me and my son have a few autistic traits, so hyperactivity is something quite likely without brain injury. But going from no complaints to strong complaints in two weeks is significant. Four years are past. Recently that boy tried again to push my son down the steps. So probably my earlier statement that sadists go into hiding by age seven is wrong. That boy also once put biting ants in his underwear.
I don't read much fictional books, but I love Khaled Hosseini. The book "The Kite Runner" fits our topic. It's a good book.

You find my measures too extreme? I myself am not too happy about it and are more than happy if there are better alternatives.
However the means the society employs don't seem to be working too well. So I believe to think outside the box is appropriate.
What would have happened if in the beginning of the Russia campaign only 20 times German soldiers had to throw grenades into the officers mess after mass shootings of civilians?

I guess our discussion boils down to genetics versus environment. I believe that while for the majority of us "in the middle" environment is the dominant factor, people on the extremes have genetics as the dominant factor. That refers to geniuses as well as to cruel people. I don't believe one can train hard cases to be nice. People who disagree of course also have to disagree with the rest of what I wrote.

art

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Sokes, I can understand your distress with regard to your son being attacked. Kids can be cruel to other kids.

But this discussion is about a woman being stalked.

All the best.

Sokes

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:26 pm

art wrote:
this discussion is about a woman being stalked.

Agreed. My posts don't fit stalking.