Dutchy
Topic Author

Green energy investments US at record high

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

US renewable energy investments have risen to a record last year.

Last year, a total of $ 55.5 billion was spent in the sector, less than China, but more than Europe that has its mouth full of the environment, according to research by BloombergNEF.

Investors see what Trump (and the Dutch climate deniers) do not see: that the future is CO2-free energy and that money can be made from it.

Remarkable: in Brazil, which has a president who wants to know even less about a climate problem than Trump, investments in green energy increased by 74 percent

Link in Dutch

Well done US, shame on the EU, we need to do more. But indeed, the future is green, not black.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

bmartino99

Re: Green energy investments US at record high

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:15 pm

I don't think Trump is totally against new forms of energy, be it green or not. His stated goal is to make "America to achieve energy independence from OPEC and all nations hostile to the interests of the United States to ensure national security, and insulate it from any supply disruptions and price fluctuations from the global oil market". Reducing carbon emissions is even mentioned on whitehouse.gov " America’s energy revolution has produced affordable, reliable energy for consumers along with stable, high-paying jobs for small businesses—all while dropping carbon emissions to their lowest level in 25 years. American energy policy must balance environmental protection with economic growth in order to encourage innovation, discovery, and prosperity."

With these stated goals, it makes sense that the US would be investing in multiple sources of energy.

casinterest

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
I don't think Trump is totally against new forms of energy, be it green or not. His stated goal is to make "America to achieve energy independence from OPEC and all nations hostile to the interests of the United States to ensure national security, and insulate it from any supply disruptions and price fluctuations from the global oil market". Reducing carbon emissions is even mentioned on whitehouse.gov " America’s energy revolution has produced affordable, reliable energy for consumers along with stable, high-paying jobs for small businesses—all while dropping carbon emissions to their lowest level in 25 years. American energy policy must balance environmental protection with economic growth in order to encourage innovation, discovery, and prosperity."

With these stated goals, it makes sense that the US would be investing in multiple sources of energy.

According to Trump Windmills cause cancer.

https://time.com/5649313/trump-wind-cancer-iowa/

However the US is a place of enterprise and as has been discussed elsewhere, the current cost efficiency estimates make sense for Green Energy to be installed in many locals.
Where ever you go, there you are.

LabQuest

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Way to go USA keep up the march.

Sokes

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:40 pm

Will people from the political left now glorify Trump for US renewable expansion and demonize Merkel for German renewables collapse?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

trpmb6

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Great job USA. I do wonder what that breakdown is per capita. My home state is in the top 5 for wind energy. I hate the sound they make (plenty of posts on here attesting to that) but I do find them majestic as an aerospace engineer. I invest in green energy, possibly to the surprise of some here. I think many mistake our attitude on the right concerning green energy. Our issue has more to do with how they are funded. Though, I am less hard on that stance than others - take NASA and the things it developed in its early years (even back when it was NACA).

I think we see more private investment in green energy these days due to public opinion and because we are starting to reach the point where we can make it profitable. - that's saying a lot in the USA where natural gas is extremely cheap and incredibly abundant.

seb146

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 pm

bmartino99 wrote:

Our oil and gas prices are tied to OPEC and whatever the futures market dictates. We have a surplus of oil and gas in the United States. Our biggest importer is Canada. But, when there are tensions in the Middle East, our oil and gas prices go up.

The current Republican administration has been fighting to open up large swaths of Utah and Arizona to fossil fuel exploration. Including national parks. They laugh at this talk of "green new deal" and keep on thinking that fossil fuels are the wave of the future. Just because there is a warm, fuzzy "feel good" statement on one page of a government web site does not mean they are gung-ho about renewables.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:59 pm

Sokes wrote:
Will people from the political left now glorify Trump for US renewable expansion

Why would they do that? He's done everything possible to slow it down and push fossil fuels instead.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Francoflier

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 am

That is good news, and proof that even with a government that is openly hostile to renewables and unashamedly trying to help the oil, gas and coal industry as much as it can, the renewable energy industry has taken a life of its own and is now self-sustained without public crutches.

Well done.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Ken777

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:25 am

If Trump has a brain he would have moved from coal to wind/solar energy production before running for President. Train miners to work in factories that produce solar panels or wind mills for homes. That could be a longer lasting job in addition to cleaner air. Sadly owners of coal mines have the cash to give trump an erection so we just send those jobs to China.

There is another big problem at the state level - especially on the GOP side. Our electrical industry in Oklahoma g to a law passed that any one installing solar panels or wind systems would hav e to pay a monthly fee to the power company to offset the revenues they would be loosing. I seem to remember that the politicians went along with that for about $25,000. But then we had a dumb broad for Governor who went for anything against Obama. We still don't have a Real ID available, thanks to the Dumb Broad.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

Ken777 wrote:
If Trump has a brain he would have moved from coal to wind/solar energy production before running for President. Train miners to work in factories that produce solar panels or wind mills for homes.

You mean he should have ran on Hilary Clinton´s ideas?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......