Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Pickup Truck Crashes Into Starbucks in Illinois

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:39 pm

A pickup truck has crashed into a Starbucks in McHenry, Illinois, 55 miles northwest of Chicago. The accident led to five people injured and one critically. The Starbucks itself had a partial collapse as a result of the impact. One person was pinned under the pickup truck and had to be freed by emergency responders. It is a very unfortunate incident and thoughts and prayers for those affected by the event.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... 020-01-16/

Brick

Re: Pickup Truck Crashes Into Starbucks in Illinois

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:52 pm

And this is of interest to an international audience why?

ANet is not a local news service.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Kno

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Brick wrote:

Cold blooded!

But truthfully I had the same thought.

NWAESC

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Coffee is what truly fuels aviation.

Empathy is also relatively universal.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

ER757

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:52 pm

this sort of thing has been happening with alarming frequency here in the Seattle area for the past couple years. Used to see a report about an incident of a car driving into a storefront maybe once a year. Lately it seems like hardly a week goes by when it doesn'thappen. I think a lot of it has to do with drivers being distracted by their mobile phones, the infotainment screens on their dashboards nowadays etc.

johns624

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Maybe they misinterpreted what "drive through" meant?

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Brick wrote:

That is unnecessarily harsh.

And besides, the international community is often quite fascinated to hear what passes for "normal" in the US.

For myself, I have just one question; what important task was being performed that required the driver to use a large pick up truck capable of (partly) demolishing a building?
If it was just himself, heading on down to the liqor store for a six-pack, couldn't he have found a slightly smaller more environmentally friendly vehicle. That way when he lost control, more likely it would have been just the driver who suffered. :stirthepot:

(apologies to all the genuine tradesmen who own & drive larger vehicles as a requirement for their livelihood)
Nothing to see here; move along please.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Pickups are everywhere hereabouts—usually occupied by the driver alone. Most rarely carry so much as a 2x4. I think it’s in the vicinity of 20% of all new vehicles sold are pickups, 50% SUVs.

GF

Jouhou

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am

Brick wrote:

Bad drivers, drunk, and elderly people drive into buildings all the time. In this case it caused a building collapse though, which is unique. I think he just failed to put emphasis on the unique part of the story. It's unusual for someone to be able to demolish an entire building with one pickup truck. It was either a structurally unsound building or a tank masquerading as a pickup truck.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Brick wrote:

That is unnecessarily harsh.

And besides, the international community is often quite fascinated to hear what passes for "normal" in the US.

For myself, I have just one question; what important task was being performed that required the driver to use a large pick up truck capable of (partly) demolishing a building?
If it was just himself, heading on down to the liqor store for a six-pack, couldn't he have found a slightly smaller more environmentally friendly vehicle. That way when he lost control, more likely it would have been just the driver who suffered. :stirthepot:

(apologies to all the genuine tradesmen who own & drive larger vehicles as a requirement for their livelihood)

They aren't common in more urban areas. They're too big to fit and navigate in some of the tiny and awkward parking spots found in cities. They're more common in suburbs and rural areas. They're also frequently driven by men who don't need them but think it adds to their "masculine" appearance. To those guys- your insecurity is showing and I can see through it. It does not make me moist to see that insecurity.
情報

T18

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am

Jouhou wrote:
They aren't common in more urban areas. They're too big to fit and navigate in some of the tiny and awkward parking spots found in cities. They're more common in suburbs and rural areas. .

I think that depends a bit on the urban area, still alot of pick-ups from my exp in St Louis and other midwestern urban centers, do not think I've seen many when I was in NYC though.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Jouhou

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

T18 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
They aren't common in more urban areas. They're too big to fit and navigate in some of the tiny and awkward parking spots found in cities. They're more common in suburbs and rural areas. .

I think that depends a bit on the urban area, still alot of pick-ups from my exp in St Louis and other midwestern urban centers, do not think I've seen many when I was in NYC though.

If anyone had a pickup truck in my parking lot, it'd block a second spot and no one would be able to get in/out. Phenomenon already occurs with large sedans that barely fit it they don't pull in just right. At the old apartment a guy had a truck and repeatedly severely damaged people's parked vehicles coming in and out. I live in a tiny (but still a high population density) city north of Boston. Go out 15 minutes away from here and a much larger proportion of people drive trucks.
情報

ltbewr

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 am

Sometimes in these situations the driver could have had a medical episode, that will be looked at in the investigation. More likely this was a distraction like their coffee fell out of the cupholder or hitting the accelerator pedal instead of the brake. On rare occasions, it is an intentional act of violence or anger like someone put cows milk instead of soy milk in their frappacapchinolatte.

NWAESC

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Police say a medical issue caused driver to lose control. No charges will be filed.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/m ... e/2202820/
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 am

NWAESC wrote:
Police say a medical issue caused driver to lose control. No charges will be filed.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/m ... e/2202820/

I bet that critically injured Starbucks employee will never be able to afford his medical bills on his own. Hope that truck had liability insurance.

Also manufacturers should consider making trucks that aren't so excessively large they demolish buildings should the driver lose control of it. Just a thought. You know, terrorism and stuff... maybe we should regulate that.

Pickup truck owners have not exactly been polite to others in the road anyways. As I mentioned, they take up extra parking spots, smash people's parked cars, cause a disproportionately large amount of damage in accidents, seem to anecdotally be in my personal experience the ones who can't stay on their own damn side of the road. I'm not fond of them, and the owners frequently seem to have a sociopathic sense of entitlement and don't seem to have a problem with being rude as hell and endangering others. Maybe make extra licensing requirements for oversized pickup trucks.
情報

Airstud

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 am

I have been to the Starbucks in Rosemont, Illinois.

There's a Target and some kind of airport near there as well.
Pancakes are delicious.

Aesma

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:43 am

All those large trucks and SUV can't help the state of roads, there should be a tax on them for that reason if nothing else.

When I visited California recently I was happy to have rented a large SUV, it smoothed the holes in the road quite well.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Aesma wrote:
All those large trucks and SUV can't help the state of roads, there should be a tax on them for that reason if nothing else.

When I visited California recently I was happy to have rented a large SUV, it smoothed the holes in the road quite well.

A state like Illinois would be like where I live, the roads get wrecked annually by frost heaves. There's no keeping up with that.
情報

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Aesma wrote:

A state like Illinois would be like where I live, the roads get wrecked annually by frost heaves. There's no keeping up with that.

Then, why are Cali’s roads wrecked? Or why aren’t Swiss roads wrecked by winter? Interesting comparison here in Mass—Turnpike used to be beautifully maintained because toll money was kept within the Turnpike Authority, then the Legislature seized it and the road has gone to hell. Yesterday another example of government buying votes instead of providing public goods.

TSS

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 pm

Aesma wrote:

Despite what you might have heard, unladen full-sized American pickups don't weigh that much more than an unladen minivan, and small(ish) cars like a Ford Focus aren't anywhere near as light as they used to be because all the technology and safety equipment that has become standard over the years adds weight.

For comparison*:

2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup**- 4,798 to 5,372 pounds (2,176 to 2,436 kg)

2019 Ford Focus- 2,935 to 3,434 pounds (1,331 to 1,557 kg)

2019 Subaru Outback- 3,622 to 3,902 pounds (1,642 to 1,769 kg)

2019 Ford Taurus- 3,917 to 4,327 pounds (1,776 to 1,962 kg)

2019 Honda Odyssey- 4,354 to 4,593 pounds (1,974 to 2,083 kg)

*All weights from https://whatthingsweigh.com **Same as the one that hit the Starbuck's in the OP's post
Last edited by TSS on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:00 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Then, why are Cali’s roads wrecked? Or why aren’t Swiss roads wrecked by winter? Interesting comparison here in Mass—Turnpike used to be beautifully maintained because toll money was kept within the Turnpike Authority, then the Legislature seized it and the road has gone to hell. Yesterday another example of government buying votes instead of providing public goods.

I believe you're complaining about budget cuts due to federal subsidies being cut, which is surprising that you're rooting for higher taxes. In mass though it's rail infrastructure that is falling apart and has been underfunded for decades. They took a bunch of the big dig debt and threw it into the MBTA and now they're crippled.
情報

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:18 pm

I’m NOT rooting for taxes, I’m rooting for government to spend on public goods instead of transfer payments that benefit the few. The argument is taxes pay for public goods for all taxpayers, but then things like roads don’t get the money. I pay income taxes but why do they go to transit which only benefits Boston residents? Rode the T exactly once in 40 years here, but use the roads everyday.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:22 pm

TSS wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Despite what you might have heard, unladen full-sized American pickups don't weigh that much more than an unladen minivan, and small(ish) cars like a Ford Focus aren't anywhere near as light as they used to be because all the technology and safety equipment that has become standard over the years adds weight.

For comparison*:

2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup**- 4,798 to 5,372 pounds (2,176 to 2,436 kg)

2019 Ford Focus- 2,935 to 3,434 pounds (1,331 to 1,557 kg)

2019 Subaru Outback- 3,622 to 3,902 pounds (1,642 to 1,769 kg)

2019 Ford Taurus- 3,917 to 4,327 pounds (1,776 to 1,962 kg)

2019 Honda Odyssey- 4,354 to 4,593 pounds (1,974 to 2,083 kg)

*All weights from https://whatthingsweigh.com **Same as the one that hit the Starbuck's in the OP's post

The four-door pickup has become the family sedan of the modern age courtesy of CAFE standards. Nobody wants a sedan that meets safety on fuel burn standards, so they buy a truck which has lots of room, you can easily pack kids in those seats, haul stuff from Costco, Home Depot, and tow the toys.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’m NOT rooting for taxes, I’m rooting for government to spend on public goods instead of transfer payments that benefit the few. The argument is taxes pay for public goods for all taxpayers, but then things like roads don’t get the money. I pay income taxes but why do they go to transit which only benefits Boston residents? Rode the T exactly once in 40 years here, but use the roads everyday.

I don't even live in mass and I use the T. By nature the road layout sucks in mass, why torture yourself by driving?
情報

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 pm

Because I don’t live in Boston, I live in Baja Vermont. Amazing to many, there is a part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony west of 128.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Because I don’t live in Boston, I live in Baja Vermont. Amazing to many, there is a part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony west of 128.

Well, I don't live in Boston either, but I need to make pilgrimages to the nearest major city for various reasons. Also commuter rail serves more than Boston, It just stops short of serving anything west of Worcester.
情報

Kent350787

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 am

All this hate on pickup trucks - if no people were injured, demolishing Starbucks would have been seen as a positive community service for crimes against coffee.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Jouhou

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 am

Kent350787 wrote:
All this hate on pickup trucks - if no people were injured, demolishing Starbucks would have been seen as a positive community service for crimes against coffee.

I'm mostly just making sure the drivers on here need to be a bit more self conscious about being rude on the road. Maybe not everyone is rude while driving them but the majority of rude drivers I come across are in pick up trucks. They should maybe realize that when they do obnoxious things, they come off as "rude and dangerous" and not "tough and masculine" like they seem to think.
情報

TSS

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:23 am

Jouhou wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

I'm mostly just making sure the drivers on here need to be a bit more self conscious about being rude on the road. Maybe not everyone is rude while driving them but the majority of rude drivers I come across are in pick up trucks. They should maybe realize that when they do obnoxious things, they come off as "rude and dangerous" and not "tough and masculine" like they seem to think.

Interesting. Most of the truly rude drivers I come across are in a Toyota Prius. Around here the phenomenon is referred to as "PES", short for Prius Entitlement Syndrome, and it manifests as an apparent deep and abiding belief among Prius owners that because they are saving the entire world one mile per gallon at a time they have the right-of-way in every possible situation regardless of what traffic laws say, e.g. if a Prius cuts you off in traffic without so much as a signal then that's YOUR FAULT for inconsiderately being in the way of the Prius as it goes about on it's ever-so-noble mission. It seems this isn't just an Alabama thing because there are entire YouTube channels chronicling the rudeness and bad driving habits of Prius owners via dash cam footage.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Jouhou

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:38 am

TSS wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Interesting. Most of the truly rude drivers I come across are in a Toyota Prius. Around here the phenomenon is referred to as "PES", short for Prius Entitlement Syndrome, and it manifests as an apparent deep and abiding belief among Prius owners that because they are saving the entire world one mile per gallon at a time they have the right-of-way in every possible situation regardless of what traffic laws say, e.g. if a Prius cuts you off in traffic without so much as a signal then that's YOUR FAULT for inconsiderately being in the way of the Prius as it goes about on it's ever-so-noble mission. It seems this isn't just an Alabama thing because there are entire YouTube channels chronicling the rudeness and bad driving habits of Prius owners via dash cam footage.

I can't say I see a lot of priuses. Lots of hybrids and a few teslas, but not so much the prius. Half the cars out here are subarus, owing to being all wheel drive and not taking up excessive amounts of space at the same time. I have a mazda.

Ideal vehicle here is one that handles snow well without taking up more space than is needed. The key is not being the asshole that takes up limited real estate in parking for no reason except making oneself feel "big".
情報

Kent350787

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 am

Jouhou wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Fair point. Here in Australia, it's the smaller pickups being driven by younger tradespeople that seem to be the stereotype.

That said, I've just spent a fortnight in a sedan on the interstates in Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Louisiana and I didn't notice the pickups being much worse than anything else. I was more concerned about the dreadful coffee :)
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

FatCat

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm

there is always a good thing and a bad thing inside a news story.
bad thing, there is injured people
good thing, a shitbucks has been demolished
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Kno

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Jouhou wrote:
TSS wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I can't say I see a lot of priuses. Lots of hybrids and a few teslas, but not so much the prius. Half the cars out here are subarus, owing to being all wheel drive and not taking up excessive amounts of space at the same time. I have a mazda.

Ideal vehicle here is one that handles snow well without taking up more space than is needed. The key is not being the asshole that takes up limited real estate in parking for no reason except making oneself feel "big".

Reading through what you've posted in this thread I was surprised to see that you're from the Boston area. Usually I find your posts insightful and well thought out but in this thread your contributions are full of brash stereotyping.

I've lived here my whole life and it is rare to see pick up trucks owned by folks who aren't blue collar and using them for work. Maybe in NH you get a little more of that, but this isn't Texas or out west where you see people driving large lifted trucks just for show.

I drive an F150 because I buy and resell furniture for supplemental income outside of my 9-5. I also occasionally tow trailers. I live in Newton and take the truck into the city multiple times a week, if you're a good driver you'll have no issue finding street parking in it, I don't crash into anybody, I don't recognize the poor driving I see in the city as typically fellow truck drivers, and those I know who do drive trucks are usually in a trade or if they do have an office job they need the truck for projects outside of work. Frankly its a pleasure to drive, I have no blind spots and the cabin is spacious. A truck can do everything a car can do and so much more, they hold their value better than cars, and as trucks continue to catch up to cars in MPGs it may make more sense to own one than it previously did for many people.

The folks I see driving poorly are usually elderly folks who probably shouldn't be on the road, timid soccer moms, arrogant guys in their 20s-30s with expensive sedans who like to drive fast but don't keep a good eye on their surroundings, Prius drivers, and folks from out of town who struggle with our complex roads.

Both of us are sharing opinions based on limited sample size and probably have slightly differing ideas of what is and isn't the best road etiquette. While I agree that some people buy trucks because of self esteem issues or never use them for anything truck related, I would highly doubt that they make up more than 5%-10% of truck owners in New England.

Jouhou

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:22 pm

Kno wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
TSS wrote:

Reading through what you've posted in this thread I was surprised to see that you're from the Boston area. Usually I find your posts insightful and well thought out but in this thread your contributions are full of brash stereotyping.

I've lived here my whole life and it is rare to see pick up trucks owned by folks who aren't blue collar and using them for work. Maybe in NH you get a little more of that, but this isn't Texas or out west where you see people driving large lifted trucks just for show.

I drive an F150 because I buy and resell furniture for supplemental income outside of my 9-5. I also occasionally tow trailers. I live in Newton and take the truck into the city multiple times a week, if you're a good driver you'll have no issue finding street parking in it, I don't crash into anybody, I don't recognize the poor driving I see in the city as typically fellow truck drivers, and those I know who do drive trucks are usually in a trade or if they do have an office job they need the truck for projects outside of work. Frankly its a pleasure to drive, I have no blind spots and the cabin is spacious. A truck can do everything a car can do and so much more, they hold their value better than cars, and as trucks continue to catch up to cars in MPGs it may make more sense to own one than it previously did for many people.

The folks I see driving poorly are usually elderly folks who probably shouldn't be on the road, timid soccer moms, arrogant guys in their 20s-30s with expensive sedans who like to drive fast but don't keep a good eye on their surroundings, Prius drivers, and folks from out of town who struggle with our complex roads.

Both of us are sharing opinions based on limited sample size and probably have slightly differing ideas of what is and isn't the best road etiquette. While I agree that some people buy trucks because of self esteem issues or never use them for anything truck related, I would highly doubt that they make up more than 5%-10% of truck owners in New England.

If you live in Boston's inner suburbs like Newton and have a pickup truck, it's probably because you have a use for it. It's the far off suburbs/exurbs of Boston extending into NH and ME where you see a lot of people who drive them but don't need them.

Beyond the space issue, up here it's the pickup trucks that tailgate and weave in and out of traffic and generally speed when the roads are a sheet of ice, but not the subarus. They're also the ones that obnoxiously rev their engines in residential neighborhoods for no reason other than looking "tough". And modded exhausts to be a bit extra obnoxious about that. My old neighborhood was bad about that, trucks stuck in traffic outside of people's houses while they're still sleeping at 6am revving for no good reason.
情報