Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Biden gets a woman VP and can appease the progressive wing

My IG feed was swirling with speculation since Biden is scheduled to stop at Oakland and then continue on to LA for the night rally. The speculation is that Kamala Harris will endorse Biden, but that Biden may be considering naming Harris as his running mate.

I wouldn't be upset about that ticket. A Biden Abrams ticket may also be good, though I haven't seen Abrams in the national stage at a debate. While VP debates take a backseat to presidential debates, the last two have been memorable: Biden sweeping the floor with Paul Ryan and Tim Kaine appearing lost vs Pence.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

slider

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:43 pm

N14AZ wrote:
So, in other words we are back to Biden vs. Trump, correct?

The Democrats will block Bernie's nomination, as predicted, and the superdelegates will back the establishment choice. Rinse and repeat, Dems. And they couldn't have picked a weaker candidate either, a guy who is a walking powderkeg of embarrassment. And I think, honestly here, he's having mental issues (dementia?)

* I'm running for Senate
* As POTUS, I'll appoint the forst black woman to the Senate
* Guns killed 150 million Americans
* "Thanks Chuck" to Chris Matthews
* "We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing."

And that's JUST in the last week, folks. It's not funny, and I'm not making light of it--this is seriously amiss. And this is your guy.

trpmb6

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:57 pm

slider wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
So, in other words we are back to Biden vs. Trump, correct?

The Democrats will block Bernie's nomination, as predicted, and the superdelegates will back the establishment choice. Rinse and repeat, Dems. And they couldn't have picked a weaker candidate either, a guy who is a walking powderkeg of embarrassment. And I think, honestly here, he's having mental issues (dementia?)

* I'm running for Senate
* As POTUS, I'll appoint the forst black woman to the Senate
* Guns killed 150 million Americans
* "We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing."

And that's JUST in the last week, folks. It's not funny, and I'm not making light of it--this is seriously amiss. And this is your guy.

*Chris Wallace

:)

That being said, it's painful to watch Biden. The debates especially.

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:15 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Biden won't pick Warren she is radioactive and nuts he is picking Klobuchar. If Bernie somehow wins I am not sure if he picks warren he probably has promised Abrams and if Bloomberg wins I am not sure who he will pick.

IDK, I'm of the mindset that a moderate candidate is going for a progressive VP and vice versa. Unite party blah blah. I think the progressive wing will have a fit if Bernie loses again, though they mostly voted for Hillary in 2016...

I know my scenario is unlikely, but the one thing it does do is split the progressive vote. Bernie with the unified progressive vote may be too powerful. At least with Warren running, she is sapping away at Bernie

My gut is thinking Biden would pick Abrams. Don't know too much about her to comment. I'm not into identity politics (I want a qualified candidate) but if she is qualified, it'd be nice to see a black, female VP.

Kamala Harris for VP would be interesting. I wasn't really a fan of her but from the identity politics side, she'd check a lot of boxes

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm

slider wrote:
And I think, honestly here, he's having mental issues (dementia?)

Yes. Forgetting names is clearly a sign of dementia. I'm glad you've seen the light.

slider

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 pm

If it were an isolated incident, perhaps...happens to everyone.

But Biden's mental composition is unsettling at best, an absolute disqualifier at worst.

Remember the plagiarism events (multiple) of which the second canceled his first POTUS run? How about "borking" Robert Bork? Lying about his academic record? Groping children? Swimming naked in front of female Secret Service agents repeatedly? Slandering the man involved in the car crash that killed his wife and daughter as a drunk (which wasn't the case)?

And that's before even talking about the Ukraine, which still demands a reckoning.

This guy is a freaking trainwreck! It's not even defensible. And it's beyond pathetic.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:04 pm

slider wrote:

But Biden's mental composition is unsettling at best, an absolute disqualifier at worst.

Remember the plagiarism events (multiple) of which the second canceled his first POTUS run? How about "borking" Robert Bork? Lying about his academic record? Groping children? Swimming naked in front of female Secret Service agents repeatedly? Slandering the man involved in the car crash that killed his wife and daughter as a drunk (which wasn't the case)?

And that's before even talking about the Ukraine, which still demands a reckoning.

This guy is a freaking trainwreck! It's not even defensible. And it's beyond pathetic.

By that description, he has quite a lot in common with 45. Perhaps they should go off into the sunset together.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
slider wrote:

By that description, he has quite a lot in common with 45. Perhaps they should go off into the sunset together.

It is quite ironic how many right wingers attack*, well, anyone while defending a tenth of what Trump does. It boggles my mind.

That being said, if this devolves into a mud slinging contest, I think Trump will be the one that comes out on top. We need to nominate a strong candidate and campaign above the crap

*right wingers in a broad sense, not all of them, and not necessarily slider, not sure of slider's views and don't want to strawman him

apodino
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:18 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Biden won't pick Warren she is radioactive and nuts he is picking Klobuchar. If Bernie somehow wins I am not sure if he picks warren he probably has promised Abrams and if Bloomberg wins I am not sure who he will pick.

IDK, I'm of the mindset that a moderate candidate is going for a progressive VP and vice versa. Unite party blah blah. I think the progressive wing will have a fit if Bernie loses again, though they mostly voted for Hillary in 2016...

I know my scenario is unlikely, but the one thing it does do is split the progressive vote. Bernie with the unified progressive vote may be too powerful. At least with Warren running, she is sapping away at Bernie

My gut is thinking Biden would pick Abrams. Don't know too much about her to comment. I'm not into identity politics (I want a qualified candidate) but if she is qualified, it'd be nice to see a black, female VP.

Kamala Harris for VP would be interesting. I wasn't really a fan of her but from the identity politics side, she'd check a lot of boxes

Biden picking Abrams has been speculated by a lot of pundits. That makes sense in a lot of ways to pick her.

Sanders is not going to pick a moderate. One interesting thing is I think the gal Sanders would want as a running mate, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is too young, and Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tilab I believe are both foreign born so they would not be eligible either. Warren has now burned too many bridges with Sanders to get consideration, and from what I can tell Sanders doesn't have a lot of good friends in the Senate he could pick from. De Blasio and Newsom would both make sense, but I don't think the optics of picking a White Male will go over well with the base, even though Sanders himself is not the biggest identity politics player. If I had to guess, my thinking is the way Sanders would go would be Pramila Jayapal, who has endorsed Sanders, is a progressive, and a minority female.

slider wrote:

If Biden is the nominee, the Debates would be borderline unwatchable. And that is not good for democracy at all. The only debate that could be worth it would be the VP debate. If it is a Pence-Abrams debate, that would be a great thing to watch, or even if its Pence-Jayapal. But a Biden nomination, and then the debates? Can networks underbid to not cover the debate?

Aaron747

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:23 pm

apodino wrote:
If Biden is the nominee, the Debates would be borderline unwatchable. And that is not good for democracy at all. The only debate that could be worth it would be the VP debate. If it is a Pence-Abrams debate, that would be a great thing to watch, or even if its Pence-Jayapal. But a Biden nomination, and then the debates? Can networks underbid to not cover the debate?

Could not agree more - it would be a redefinition of a gong show.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LittleFokker

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:45 pm

apodino wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Biden picking Abrams has been speculated by a lot of pundits. That makes sense in a lot of ways to pick her.

Sanders is not going to pick a moderate. One interesting thing is I think the gal Sanders would want as a running mate, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is too young, and Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tilab I believe are both foreign born so they would not be eligible either. Warren has now burned too many bridges with Sanders to get consideration, and from what I can tell Sanders doesn't have a lot of good friends in the Senate he could pick from. De Blasio and Newsom would both make sense, but I don't think the optics of picking a White Male will go over well with the base, even though Sanders himself is not the biggest identity politics player. If I had to guess, my thinking is the way Sanders would go would be Pramila Jayapal, who has endorsed Sanders, is a progressive, and a minority female.

slider wrote:

Whomever the nominee is, I think Julian Castro would make a good VP. The problem with the female Presidential candidates is that they're mostly Senators, and I would prefer they stay Senators, especially with the secondary goal of taking back the Senate. I don't know the state laws in MA and VT with regards to replacing Senate vacancies, but both of those states currently have moderate Republican governors, something to think about. While Stacey Abrams is a delightful charming person based on all interviews I have seen and heard from her, I don't think she wants the VP job. People were begging her to try to go for one of the two GA Senate seats up for grabs this year, but she wouldn't bite, which tells me she's temporarily done campaigning. She has also founded an organization called Fair Fight, which is a GOTV focused effort that also tries to stop Republican efforts to stymie minority voters in critical swing states. Castro has the advantage of being a Latino from a southern state, not holding any critical job for the moment, and has enough Progressive credentials to to appease Bernie voters and moderates.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Aaron747

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:58 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
apodino wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

slider wrote:

Whomever the nominee is, I think Julian Castro would make a good VP. The problem with the female Presidential candidates is that they're mostly Senators, and I would prefer they stay Senators, especially with the secondary goal of taking back the Senate. I don't know the state laws in MA and VT with regards to replacing Senate vacancies, but both of those states currently have moderate Republican governors, something to think about. While Stacey Abrams is a delightful charming person based on all interviews I have seen and heard from her, I don't think she wants the VP job. People were begging her to try to go for one of the two GA Senate seats up for grabs this year, but she wouldn't bite, which tells me she's temporarily done campaigning. She has also founded an organization called Fair Fight, which is a GOTV focused effort that also tries to stop Republican efforts to stymie minority voters in critical swing states. Castro has the advantage of being a Latino from a southern state, not holding any critical job for the moment, and has enough Progressive credentials to to appease Bernie voters and moderates.

Fair Fight should probably be looking into apparent shenanigans in Texas:

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/10 ... al-voters/

Alias1024

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:18 pm

I know a lot of angry democrats. Biden vs. Sanders is exactly the choice they wanted to avoid.

Another thought about Biden as nominee. Going with the heir apparent doesn't seem to have worked so well in the last few decades, and Biden came into this as the presumptive nominee. GWB won in 2000, but that was against another heir apparent in Al Gore. You have to look back to 1988 and Bush defeating Dukakis to see a presumed nominee beat a less well known opponent.

2016: Clinton
2012: Romney
2008: McCain
2000: Gore
1996: Dole

apodino wrote:
The only debate that could be worth it would be the VP debate. If it is a Pence-Abrams debate, that would be a great thing to watch, or even if its Pence-Jayapal. But a Biden nomination, and then the debates? Can networks underbid to not cover the debate?

Pence-Buttigieg could be fun as well. That once could get VERY personal.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

mdsh00

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:55 pm

apodino wrote:
De Blasio and Newsom would both make sense

Why would Newsom make sense? All he does is give off a "progressive" vibe but he is still much further to the center than DeBlasio.

NIKV69

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:50 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

Biden is going to be pressured to pick Abrams from the party but his campaign knows she doesn't help in the general. Biden can't win GA and he needs to win OH and PA. Harris is done. She isn't popular outside CA and will be a Senator for the rest of her life. I see Bernie picking Abrams for sure.
I am the Googlizer!!!

apodino
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:14 pm

A correction to an earlier post. Pramila Jayapal was born in India so she couldn't be Bernie's running mate either. I doubt Bernie would pick Abrams as even though she ran as a progressive in Georgia, she seems to be entrenched into the establishment at the moment. Castro is also in that group as well. Very tough to find an anti establishment guy who Bernie would run with, and I know he wants that.

I voted today in Texas and I can tell you that I have never seen the polls more packed even in a General Election. Heavy turnout. And although I requested a Democratic ballot, I am very surprised how many republican ballots were requested at my polling place. One other interesting thing that may favor Sanders is the order of the names on the ballot. For the device I used, Sanders name came up on the first page of the Democratic Candidates (About 16 or so names were actually on the Ballot). Biden was not on the first page and to find him you had to touch the button that said next page. This may not be intuitive for some voters and I suspect this little nuance may help Sanders in Texas.

Alias1024

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:48 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Biden is going to be pressured to pick Abrams from the party but his campaign knows she doesn't help in the general. Biden can't win GA and he needs to win OH and PA. Harris is done.

I’m not sure he will get much pressure to pick Abrams. She doesn’t bring the liberal wing of the party. Harris doesn’t help a whole lot either on that front.

Warren would be a better fit for the demographic weaknesses of Biden.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

stl07

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:32 am

There seems to be a consensus throughout twitter and the news media that the DNC establishment is trying to cheat and block Sanders. That couldn't be farther from the truth. It's the people that suddenly woke up and realized that maybe they didn't want a socialist who blasts the DNC every chance he can get to represent their party and are voting to block him. If Biden wins, it's not because Sanders was cheated. Neither Pete nor Amy declared they were cheated when they resigned, and neither should sanders or his army of supporters
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 am

Alias1024 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Biden is going to be pressured to pick Abrams from the party but his campaign knows she doesn't help in the general. Biden can't win GA and he needs to win OH and PA. Harris is done.

I’m not sure he will get much pressure to pick Abrams. She doesn’t bring the liberal wing of the party. Harris doesn’t help a whole lot either on that front.

Enter Yang. A minority AND a guy with a lib base.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

NIKV69

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:54 am

Alias1024 wrote:

He will get some, there are many that still wrongfully believe she got robbed of a governorship and they want payback.

stl07 wrote:
There seems to be a consensus throughout twitter and the news media that the DNC establishment is trying to cheat and block Sanders. That couldn't be farther from the truth. It's the people that suddenly woke up and realized that maybe they didn't want a socialist who blasts the DNC every chance he can get to represent their party and are voting to block him. If Biden wins, it's not because Sanders was cheated. Neither Pete nor Amy declared they were cheated when they resigned, and neither should sanders or his army of supporters

I don't understand how people sign on to something then when it seems they won't win say they are getting robbed. The DNC primary system is really bad. Superdelegates are just a fancy name for cronyism and it takes away from the will of the people. It wasn't whoever was leading after three states automatically is the winner. It's a long process and it goes to the convention. If Bernie didn't like it he shouldn't have run.
I am the Googlizer!!!

stl07

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:02 am

Exactly NIKV, and I'm really getting mad at the thousands upon thousands of people who are pledging online to stay home if Bernie doesn't win. If you don't want to perform your civic duty just because you didn't get your way, then you really have no business saying you are fighting for America to begin with.

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 am

stl07 wrote:
Exactly NIKV, and I'm really getting mad at the thousands upon thousands of people who are pledging online to stay home if Bernie doesn't win. If you don't want to perform your civic duty just because you didn't get your way, then you really have no business saying you are fighting for America to begin with.

Isn't that what they said last time and the vast majority still voted Clinton?

Honestly, come November if these people aren't voting for Biden (assuming he's the nominee) I'm gonna blame Biden. It would be his fault for not motivating the different factions, not Bernie Bros for not deciding to vote for Biden

In other news, Bloomberg won American Somoa! Glad his money went to good use!

stl07

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:50 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Honestly, come November if these people aren't voting for Biden (assuming he's the nominee) I'm gonna blame Biden. It would be his fault for not motivating the different factions, not Bernie Bros for not deciding to vote for Biden

For 500 million, he could have bought a major stake in FOX, if not the whole network, and ended Trump on the spot

Ben Shapiro tweeted that for just 200 million more, he could get the whole island.

stl07

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:51 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Obv. enough of them didn't

bgm

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:28 am

slider wrote:

And yet you continue to support Trump. Everything you've said to describe Biden can be said for your beloved Orange turd. Not that I'm defending Biden (I agree that he is unqualified), but I just want to point out your hypocrisy here.

chepos

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:46 am

Glad to see Joe doing well tonight. I was a Pete supporter but not mad to see Joe rising up. Glad Bloomberg crashed and burned tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

DIRECTFLT

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:04 am

Fun Fact:

Texas Primary Results (so far):

At 12:45AM today, Trump had 1,764,514 votes, which was more than the
total amount of Democratic votes for President for the the top 16 vote getters.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

KFTG

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:39 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Fun Fact:

Texas Primary Results (so far):

At 12:45AM today, Trump had 1,764,514 votes, which was more than the
total amount of Democratic votes for President for the the top 16 vote getters.

While we're selectively choosing facts that support our narrative, in VA, Democrats have doubled their turnout compared to the 2016 primary (~1.3 million vs. 780,000).

ltbewr

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 am

Looks like Sanders peaked too soon and now Biden gets the edge for now. Many Democrats want the 'safe' candidate in Biden to run in fall, they felt that Sanders was too radical for them to beat Trump. Older voters, including older Blacks who are more likely to vote, felt more comfortable with Biden.

afcjets

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:55 pm

seb146 wrote:
Just keep in mind that the party you now call "homophobic" and "racist" and "misogynist" spend a lot of time in minority neighborhoods and talking about problems of minorities

Exactly, they do a lot of talking.

AirWorthy99

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Well, I think Democrats are back to their senses, and stopped dreaming and accepting socialism. Even if its the "good" version.

This was Sanders' race to lose, but he doubled down on his sympathies for socialist dictatorships and his pride in saying he is a socialist, turns out many Democrats are spooked.

Nonetheless the coastal white liberal elites still want Sanders... despite the fact that people are rejecting his socialism.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:34 pm

It was well within expectation that Biden will win all the Southern Primaries anyway, i.e. NC, VA, TN, AL, AR, and OK. Biden's result in VA is definitely impressive, though, as he managed to get not just a plurality, but a majority.

Bernie is expected to take CA, CO, UT, and of course, VT - and he did just that.

MN was going to Klobuchar, but her dropping out and endorsing Biden mean a Biden win.
TX was expect to be close, and live up to the expectation.

So that left ME and MA.
ME is a LOT closer than people expected - and that's not good news for Bernie.
Then there's MA - yes, Bernie split the vote with Warren, but a Biden win there is still impressive as nobody expected Biden to even go anywhere in MA.

Next week should be just as interesting...
WA and ID should be Bernie's, while MS is definitely Biden's. ND is unknown (but doesn't matter too much). MI and MO should be VERY interesting, though. A win by Biden in MI would go a long way to show Biden's strength in the Midwest - where Dems need to win to have a chance against Trump.

mdsh00

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:

He will get some, there are many that still wrongfully believe she got robbed of a governorship and they want payback.

stl07 wrote:

I don't understand how people sign on to something then when it seems they won't win say they are getting robbed. The DNC primary system is really bad. Superdelegates are just a fancy name for cronyism and it takes away from the will of the people. It wasn't whoever was leading after three states automatically is the winner. It's a long process and it goes to the convention. If Bernie didn't like it he shouldn't have run.

The other thing is that Bernie had a seat at the table in 2016 when the 2020 rules were drafted. You can't complain about unfair rules and rigging when you were part writing them.

afcjets

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:56 pm

mdsh00 wrote:

The other thing is that Bernie had a seat at the table in 2016 when the 2020 rules were drafted. You can't complain about unfair rules and rigging when you were part writing them.

Bernie showed in 2016 he will let people walk all over him and even suck up to them when they're done, which is why he would make a terrible and dangerous commander in chief.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 pm

apodino wrote:

That assumes there's even gonna be a debate in the first place. Trump has already floated the idea of not debating at all (because networks are treating him unfairly...).

zakuivcustom wrote:
and of course, VT - and he did just that.

It speaks volumes though, that in 2016, VT gave Sanders 86% and all the delegates. This time, Biden remained viable (20%) and Sanders got only 50% of the vote.

zakuivcustom wrote:
WA and ID should be Bernie's
WA, maybe. WA was a caucus state in 2016 and chose Sanders but in the non-binding primary shortly after it chose Clinton. This time around, it's just a primary. Seattle proper may give Sanders a victory, but the rest of the state may tilt to Biden. The state doesn't have a large Black population to speak of, but it IS an open primary as well and I could see Republicans voting in the Democratic primary as a way to ensure that if the state's EC votes will remain Democrat, they at least go to the least objectionable candidate.

ID...if the story in OK repeats itself (2016 Sanders victory; 2020 Biden victory), I could see Biden winning Idaho as well. ID was also a caucus state in 2016 and has gone to a primary this time around.

zakuivcustom wrote:
MI and MO should be VERY interesting, though

MI will be THE state to watch. Bernie's surprise win in 2016 is still fresh, but the question is whether he replicates it or whether that was anti-Clinton vote (like it was in WV and KY).
MO I think will go for Biden. The STL and KC areas have large Black populations, and given that MO is an open primary state, I could see suburban independent conservatives voting to support Biden if it means getting Trump out. The question there is by how big of a margin.

zakuivcustom wrote:
ND is unknown
Would not be surprised if ND goes for Sanders. Their "firehouse caucus" is strange and unpredictable. HOWEVER, ND is conservative and even though it's a caucus, there could very well be another case of anti-Clinton activism that propelled Sanders to victory in 2016 but may not be there in 2020.

Regardless of who wins, if Sanders does not win convincing majorities (like Biden did with AL and VA), he'll be neck and neck with Biden all the way. TX and CA were supposed to be the kingmakers and give Sanders the lead he needed to be the undisputed frontrunner. Now, it's essentially delegate socialism: the top performing candidate gets a bigger share of the pie, but not a majority.

Aaron747

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:04 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Nonetheless the coastal white liberal elites still want Sanders... despite the fact that people are rejecting his socialism.

Fascinating where you concoct all of this erroneous information from. This sentence is almost entirely false based on readily available information:

On the flip side, Biden and Bloomberg do especially badly — and Warren excels — in districts encompassing California’s most upscale suburbs. In fact, Biden’s very worst district, and Warren’s very best, is the 18th District (Palo Alto, Mountain View, Campbell, Los Gatos) in Silicon Valley. Sixty-two percent of its adult population3 holds at least a bachelor’s degree, and it has the highest median household income in the state: $122,124 a year. It’s a similar story in the 33rd District (Malibu, Santa Monica) in coastal Los Angeles; its high white (65 percent, fourth among California districts) and college-educated (64 percent, first) population is a bad combination for Biden and Bloomberg...

...Warren also does well in more racially diverse upscale districts, especially in the Bay Area. We’re forecasting her to get 19 percent or more in the 17th District (Santa Clara, Milpitas, Fremont), the 12th District (San Francisco) and the 14th District (South San Francisco, San Mateo) — cosmopolitan, diverse districts all. In Southern California, Warren also overperforms in districts that fit a similar profile, such as the 39th District (Fullerton, Yorba Linda) and 45th District (Irvine, Mission Viejo) in Orange County. Both are well-to-do and have significant white, Asian and Latino populations.

Just like Texans and Floridians don't like folks from other states butting into their business, perhaps you should let we Californians comment on the place we know best before inventing fantasies about it - or worse, sounding like Jesse Waters.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/su ... the-state/
Last edited by Aaron747 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:06 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
That assumes there's even gonna be a debate in the first place. Trump has already floated the idea of not debating at all (because networks are treating him unfairly...).

I'm sure most of the general electorate would be fine with having no debates, so long as he agrees to release all his tax returns.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Well, I think Democrats are back to their senses, and stopped dreaming and accepting socialism. Even if its the "good" version.

You're generalizing then because I'm a Democrat and Bernie's idea is not what I want (it's noble, but it takes time to implement).

AirWorthy99 wrote:
This was Sanders' race to lose, but he doubled down on his sympathies for socialist dictatorships and his pride in saying he is a socialist, turns out many Democrats are spooked.

By that logic, conservatives should be spooked by Trump with his admiration of Putin, Erdogan, KJU, and Duterte. That's not what spooks many Democrats; rather, it's the idea of taking a chance with pie in the sky ideas that will never be implemented and costing the party future elections.

AirWorthy99 wrote:

This is a paradox. Why would an elite chose Sanders and regular people choose Biden? The "elites" stand to lose under Sanders. And so far, the only 2 coastal states that have gone for Sanders are CA (barely...33% is not an overwhelming plurality, especially when 2nd place is at 24%) and NH (also barely). All other states are under Biden's column. If "white coastal liberal elites" is your term for Californians, just note that NY, MA, and MD Democrats are different from CA Democrats and that if you want to be taken seriously in discussions like these, terms like "white coastal liberal elites" is a sure way to ensure you're not.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:08 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I'm sure most of the general electorate would be fine with having no debates, so long as he agrees to release all his tax returns.

Would be interesting to see Trump saying "no" to debates and then those being turned into town halls for Biden, while Trump hosts rallies in WV or KY or AL, pretending he has the world's attention.

Aaron747

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:11 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
If "white coastal liberal elites" is your term for Californians, just note that NY, MA, and MD Democrats are different from CA Democrats and that if you want to be taken seriously in discussions like these, terms like "white coastal liberal elites" is a sure way to ensure you're not.

To be more precise, West LA Democrats are not South-Central LA Democrats the same as Central Coast/SLO Democrats are not Silicon Valley Democrats. And we didn't even touch the San Joaquin Valley yet. Critics from other states love to forget that CA is complex and more populous than the whole of Canada.

AirWorthy99

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:23 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

You're generalizing then because I'm a Democrat and Bernie's idea is not what I want (it's noble, but it takes time to implement).

AirWorthy99 wrote:

By that logic, conservatives should be spooked by Trump with his admiration of Putin, Erdogan, KJU, and Duterte. That's not what spooks many Democrats; rather, it's the idea of taking a chance with pie in the sky ideas that will never be implemented and costing the party future elections.

AirWorthy99 wrote:

This is a paradox. Why would an elite chose Sanders and regular people choose Biden? The "elites" stand to lose under Sanders. And so far, the only 2 coastal states that have gone for Sanders are CA (barely...33% is not an overwhelming plurality, especially when 2nd place is at 24%) and NH (also barely). All other states are under Biden's column. If "white coastal liberal elites" is your term for Californians, just note that NY, MA, and MD Democrats are different from CA Democrats and that if you want to be taken seriously in discussions like these, terms like "white coastal liberal elites" is a sure way to ensure you're not.

Well perhaps I have generalized a bit , but I guess its only bad when we do that to Democrats, when they say all rural people and suburban men are Republicans that's also a misconception.

I guess thinking certain people think a certain way is not right, where ever we look at. Look how Warren lost MA with a 3rd place finish. It turns out she is not popular in her state. Sanders only won with 50% in his state. I think generally speaking people are rejecting extreme leftist everywhere. It is a good thing for the country.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

It's basically white, young, college-educated people that forms the core of Bernie Bros anyway. He's able to get some supports from Latinos this time around, but overall Latinos votes are still fairly split.

einsteinboricua wrote:
It speaks volumes though, that in 2016, VT gave Sanders 86% and all the delegates. This time, Biden remained viable (20%) and Sanders got only 50% of the vote.

I didn't even look at the result until you mentioned it. Yeah, that definitely doesn't look good for Bernie.

einsteinboricua wrote:
WA, maybe. WA was a caucus state in 2016 and chose Sanders but in the non-binding primary shortly after it chose Clinton. This time around, it's just a primary. Seattle proper may give Sanders a victory, but the rest of the state may tilt to Biden. The state doesn't have a large Black population to speak of, but it IS an open primary as well and I could see Republicans voting in the Democratic primary as a way to ensure that if the state's EC votes will remain Democrat, they at least go to the least objectionable candidate.

I would think Bernie's strength in West Coast would push him over the finish line in WA, more so if Liz Warren drops out.

einsteinboricua wrote:
MO I think will go for Biden. The STL and KC areas have large Black populations, and given that MO is an open primary state, I could see suburban independent conservatives voting to support Biden if it means getting Trump out. The question there is by how big of a margin.

True...MO is still somewhat "Southern" and just doesn't have that large urban young liberal crowds.

P.S. All my predictions will be thrown out of the window if Bloomberg drops out. If he does and endorse Biden, it's more or less game over for Bernie. Liz Warren supporters will be split between Bernie (mostly on coastal states) and Biden (mostly those votes that think "Bernie is too far left").

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:37 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
I would think Bernie's strength in West Coast would push him over the finish line in WA, more so if Liz Warren drops out.

maybe...but by how much? And let's not forget: WA is also a vote by mail state. If people are anything like me, they held on to their ballots until after last night and then will fill it out in the coming days and mail it back. I was getting ready to vote for Mayor Pete...then he dropped out. My ballot sat empty, waiting for the results from Super Tuesday. And now, it will be filled out and dropped in the mail later today.

StarAC17

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 pm

stl07 wrote:

stl07 wrote:

{checkmark}

If Biden wins this thing before the convention (this looks likely now) all the Bernie supporters better vote for him. Being an adult is partly choosing between perhaps a bad and less bad decision.
He is far better then Trump and has vowed to govern for only one term. He just needs to know the difference between his wife and sister, however messing that up is better than wanting to sleep with your daughter.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

He better be in Michigan and Wisconsin weekly.

Watching The Hill's coverage of the results last night that was the one thing that they were saying that differs form Hillary, people generally like Joe but didn't like Hillary. Biden is a much more likable person that Clinton is, this is his advantage against Trump.

I still think the DNC needs to pay serious attention however if Bernie rolls him in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin (giving Biden Pennsylvania). Those are the critical states needed to beat Trump.

ltbewr wrote:
Looks like Sanders peaked too soon and now Biden gets the edge for now. Many Democrats want the 'safe' candidate in Biden to run in fall, they felt that Sanders was too radical for them to beat Trump. Older voters, including older Blacks who are more likely to vote, felt more comfortable with Biden.

It's a fair point and older voters still outvote the young and young people need to vote regardless of the burden put on them.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:01 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
If Biden wins this thing before the convention (this looks likely now) all the Bernie supporters better vote for him. Being an adult is partly choosing between perhaps a bad and less bad decision.

Nope. If people aren't voting for Biden, it's Biden's fault.

I'm tired of people blaming voters. It's ass backwards. No one has to vote for someone they don't like.

Most people are going to vote for an 80% solution. Very few will absolutely vote their conscience every time, going for a 99% solution when they have a viable 92% solution available.

If there is a mass rebellion against the nominee (and not the normal few percent of third voters you have in EVERY election) it is the nominee's fault. Our nominee is a leader. That leader is responsible for the campaign, message, motivation, etc. A leader gets the praise when things go well and the blame when things go bad.

It would be Biden's job to win over Bernie Bros, not the other way around. End of story.

wingman

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Outside of Bernie’s inane “everything will be free in this world” policies, kids don’t vote. On Election Day they have never once failed to sleep in late, wake and bake, flip on the XBox and then tweet Bernie slogans on Tik Tok all day. I may be an obvious Boomer but goddamn, I still never failed once to cast my choice. Bernie simply would not win a general election. No one that’s so reliant on the above demographic ever will. But Biden better co-opt his ass 100% in the general campaign because he’ll need every single Bernie vote he can get. Those kids will never win as the base but anyone that can drag enough of their whimpering asses out of bed in November 4 will take the White House.

NWAESC

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Bloomberg's out. At least he'll always have American Samoa...

https://www.axios.com/mike-bloomberg-dr ... 7def6.html
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm

wingman wrote:
Outside of Bernie’s inane “everything will be free in this world” policies, kids don’t vote. On Election Day they have never once failed to sleep in late, wake and bake, flip on the XBox and then tweet Bernie slogans on Tik Tok all day. I may be an obvious Boomer but goddamn, I still never failed once to cast my choice. Bernie simply would not win a general election. No one that’s so reliant on the above demographic ever will. But Biden better co-opt his ass 100% in the general campaign because he’ll need every single Bernie vote he can get. Those kids will never win as the base but anyone that can drag enough of their whimpering asses out of bed in November 4 will take the White House.

As a millennial, it enrages me to hear some of my fellow millennial friends complain about Trump when they DIDN'T VOTE!

I have a little fun with it, when one complains about Trump I'll make a comment along the lines of "yeah I really wish people got off their asses in 2016 and voted so we wouldn't have to deal with all this" and enjoy the awkward silence / quick internal reflection my friend is going through.

Hey, maybe the pain will be a reminder for them to vote 2020!

I do think Bernie would drive the young vote more. It would be interesting to see if he takes a hit in other demographics. Biden sure doesn't rock the socks off young people

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:30 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Bloomberg's out. At least he'll always have American Samoa...

https://www.axios.com/mike-bloomberg-dr ... 7def6.html

Looks like money can't buy an election after all. Bloomberg was betting on Biden making even more gaffes and look weak, though, but instead, Biden is now crowned as "comeback kid" at least in the media.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
As a millennial, it enrages me to hear some of my fellow millennial friends complain about Trump when they DIDN'T VOTE!

The youth definitely need to VOTE. Some people in the world can't even vote even if they wanted to, then you got the American youth that would rather sit on the couch than go to a freaking polling station. Hack, they can sit on the couch and mail in their vote (Oh wait...forgot that they don't know what's snail mail) in many states.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I do think Bernie would drive the young vote more. It would be interesting to see if he takes a hit in other demographics. Biden sure doesn't rock the socks off young people

Hopefully Biden pick somebody interesting as the VP, not extremely meh VP choice like Tim Kaine.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aesma

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Bernie's proposals are normal life in many European countries, nothing radical about that.

The idea of a billionaire challenging another billionaire was really sickening, so I'm glad Bloomberg is out.

Does Biden have any proposal on election reform ?

In France you can spend a limited amount and that's it, it's illegal to spend more, the US could benefit greatly from this.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams