Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Brick
Posts: 1691
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
It's official. Just broke: Warren is out.

Don't let the tee pee flap hit you on the way out...
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10898
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Brick wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
It's official. Just broke: Warren is out.

Don't let the tee pee flap hit you on the way out...

And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
Brick
Posts: 1691
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10898
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.

THAT is a decent even intelligent statement. "Teepee flap..." is not. Why not phrase things that way instead?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 12149
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 pm

Tugger wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.

THAT is a decent even intelligent statement. "Teepee flap..." is not. Why not phrase things that way instead?

Tugg



Don't worry, Bone Spurs with his silver spoon was built on integrity and bootstraps.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do you really think people are worse off today than 40 years ago?


In a lot of ways, yes. Housing/medical/education costs to start.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Watching her speak now as she suspends her campaign. She launches into the identity politics. Says she won't run in 2020, won't endorse. Now turning this into a "we are bad because a woman won't be president" stuff. Well maybe if we didn't have someone crazy running we would have a woman in the white house. The entitlement is just staggering.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
dmg626
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Her support in Mass dwindled, apparently only 1 out of every 1024 native Americans voted for her
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Watching her speak now as she suspends her campaign. She launches into the identity politics. Says she won't run in 2020, won't endorse. Now turning this into a "we are bad because a woman won't be president" stuff. Well maybe if we didn't have someone crazy running we would have a woman in the white house. The entitlement is just staggering.


Any sources on you supposed "identity politics" claim? At least Democrats can run people who look like the entire nation and not just a select few.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:19 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And these are the type of comments Republicans and conservatives accept as OK nowadays. It is pretty sad.

No reason to say it. Basically childish, just wanting mock others. But now so many think it is just fine and OK and even should be said. Talk about a slippery slope, the party has slipped a long way from where it was when I started.


She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Her support in Mass dwindled, apparently only 1 out of every 1024 native Americans voted for her


It's funny because she had the DNA test to prove it!

She was one of the first in, so it makes sense that she would not make it to the end. That has not happened much lately. But, go on and make semi-racist comments and keep making your sexist and hate filled remarks. Cult 45 will see payback in November.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:43 pm

seb146 wrote:

Any sources on you supposed "identity politics" claim?



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwx7nonLJKI


19.40 What a president of the US should look like

If you keep the video going listen carefully or actually shew makes it clear. She makes the point over and over that we are bad because Dem voters didn't pick a woman. Instead of realizing they didn't pick her because she is nuts.

seb146 wrote:
At least Democrats can run people who look like the entire nation and not just a select few.


Dems don't run anybody, the candidates make their decision to run and the voters vote. Your party voted and picked two old white men. Leave the GOP out of it.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:45 pm

seb146 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Brick wrote:

She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Her support in Mass dwindled, apparently only 1 out of every 1024 native Americans voted for her


It's funny because she had the DNA test to prove it!

She was one of the first in, so it makes sense that she would not make it to the end. That has not happened much lately. But, go on and make semi-racist comments and keep making your sexist and hate filled remarks. Cult 45 will see payback in November.


Didn't you hear she her self had to apologize for using that false claim?

U.S. Democratic presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren on Monday apologized again for her claims in the 1980s that she is Native American, speaking to a crowd of tribal leaders in Iowa.


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1V91QY
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 pm

NWAESC wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do you really think people are worse off today than 40 years ago?


In a lot of ways, yes. Housing/medical/education costs to start.


Do you really want to live with 1980 heart surgery? Medicine is so far ahead of what it was then. I know a guy who had a burst brain aneurysm and is back flying, it’d have killed him then.
 
apodino
Topic Author
Posts: 3995
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
Biden had a good night, there is no other way to spin it. One thing that is not being reported at all that I think is very relevant. Republican crossover vote in many states. 10 of the states that voted on Super Tuesday had open primaries meaning anyone could request a Democratic Ballot, and three other states allowed Unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. Virginia also did not hold a republican primary and was also open. This is the real reason turnout in Virginia was up 70 percent, and this did not get reported at all. (The media narrative is of course democratic enthusiasm led to such a turnout).

Here we go again. Conspiracy theories with no evidence of support taken as fact.

Why would GOP voters vote for Biden if Sanders is easier to portray as extreme?

Because until the returns came in from Super Tuesday, all the polling and data indicated that Sanders was poised to do well and even end up with an insurmountable lead coming out of Super Tuesday. As I illustrated in an earlier post in this thread, the Biden vote would have been believed to be a play for a brokered convention where the establishment would take the nomination from Bernie in Milwaukee. I still think as far out there as Bernie is, he would be a tougher general election match up for Trump than Biden will be.

einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
One question I wish would have been exit polled and wasn't, is how many republicans crossed over and voted in the Democratic primary? Obviously this happened in Virginia, and I think is a huge part of why Biden did so well there. It happened in Texas and Tennessee obviously, and probably Alabama (though there was a GOP senate primary in Alabama and there was energy against Sessions I believe). I also feel like democrats deserve to know how much Republican crossover influenced Super Tuesday. Yet no one is reporting or asking about it, and it was not exit polled. (You can semi extrapolate based on the Liberal or Conservative question, but it wont get you all the way there)


How would you know this? You DO realize that even though there wasn't a presidential primary in certain states, some held their congressional primaries too. A Texas Republican would not have been able to vote for Biden AND Cornyn in the same ballot.

To use the Cornyn example, he has no real primary challengers here, and unless you felt passionate about the judicial races down ballot, the Texas Railroad Commission primary, or lived in one of the congressional districts with a competitive primary (Long time Rep. Kay Granger was being primaried in a Fort Worth district for example), was there really a reason to vote in a GOP primary? There may be competitive primaries in some locations (The Alabama Senate Race comes to mind), but most of the people voting on Super Tuesday were only interested in the presidential race. And some states have their down ballot primaries on a different day. Massachusetts for example is holding their Senate Primary in September I believe (This is the one where Joe Kennedy is trying to primary Ed Markey, who has been a fixture in both the Senate and the US House forever). So yes, you are correct in a republican would not be able to cast down ballot republican primary votes, but I suspect for many people who crossed over, this didn't matter.


einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
Biden has momentum now. Bloomberg is out. Warren is under enormous pressure to get out, but reporting indicates the thing making this difficult is the fact that her campaign staff is Unionized. I think the smart play for Warren is to drop out and endorse Sanders. If she endorses Biden, its over.

It's been suggested that Warren dropping out benefits Biden more than Sanders since more of her supporters' second choice were moderates. Even dropping out and remaining silent can doom the Sanders campaign. However, I find it funny that progressives demanding that Warren drop out and endorse Bernie is NOT rigging, but Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Bloomberg dropping out and supporting Biden is.

Good point, but one argument I think progressives can make is why Democratic voters complain that the government is working for the powerful and not the people and then go ahead and vote for a man who clearly is an example of a guy who works for the Powerful and not the people.

einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
Next Tuesday has Michigan, Missouri, Washington, North Dakota, Idaho, and Mississippi. Mississippi is clearly Biden territory. Washington and Idaho would seem friendly to Sanders. North Dakota is a so called Firehouse Caucus, which would seem to favor Sanders, but the oil industry is big in North Dakota these days. Michigan is a place Sanders can win as he did four years ago, and he will make a huge play for it. Missouri is an unknown. There is a huge black vote near both St. Louis and Kansas City, but the rest of the state is very rural. This was the state where voters rejected Right to Work, and to me that seems like a Sanders play. Michigan is the big prize though. If Sanders wins Michigan, and splits the rest of the states with Biden, he could win more delegates and give him a bit of a boost going into the debate.

1. Remember that WA and ID will hold primaries this time around. In 2016, Sanders won both, but in the non-binding primary in WA, Clinton won over 50%. Don't discard a Biden win in both.
2. I don't think the oil industry will play any role in ND. A caucus is fertile ground for activists so I expect Sanders to win this.
3. MI is truly the tossup state. We'd have to see if 2016's surprise upset was more of anti-Clinton sentiment than pro-Sanders. Sanders dismissing Black vote results as "establishment" won't help him win cities like Detroit and Biden is more likeable than Clinton was so it can go either way by razor thin margin.
4. MO is lean-Biden. The city areas are primed with Black vote and the rural vote can definitely go Biden (MO's conservative lean makes it more likely that a moderate will win).


As far as winning MI: if Sanders ekes a win there, yes, he will obtain delegates, but it won't do him many favors if he's blown out in other states too. Biden should win MS in a landslide and I wouldn't be surprised if MO goes the same way.

The name of the game here is delegates, not states. Sanders would have to have a 20-30% margin over Biden to make a significant difference in the delegate lead. Winning by less than 5% in a 2 person race will find a repeat of 2016, where MI gave his campaign life support but ultimately was not enough to overcome Clinton's delegate lead from the South and NE.

ND is not a true caucus in that it operates like a primary, but the primary is party run and not state run. Also there is no reorganizing and all that BS that happens in Iowa and Nevada.
MI is the true toss up state and Sanders must win it, period. What you say about Washington is true, but Washington State is a lot like Austin TX, and that went heavily for Bernie. I agree that MO leans Biden.

So lets say that Bernie wins MI, WA, ID, and ND, and Biden wins MS and MO. That should push Bernie into the delegate lead. The following week is FL, AZ, IL, and OH. Bernie has no chance in FL at all, and really may struggle to get to 15 percent. AZ is interesting on two fronts. One is that AZ has a very old voting population with a ton of retirees living there. That will favor Biden. AZ also has a huge latino population. That should favor Bernie. I think Biden eeks out a win in AZ. IL is much like MO, and its tough to see where Bernie would find support outside of Champaign and Evanston. I give Biden the edge here. Ohio is much like Michigan and if Bernie can win MI, he can win OH too.

On the delegate front. Biden does not have nearly the delegate lead that Clinton had four years ago, largely due to the superdelegates not being counted, and due to the fact that until now, it was not a two person race like last time.

One last thing to note on this. Bernie supporters are now angry and fired up. That usually will translate into people showing up at the Ballot box and voting. Biden in the minds of some people (not me) appears to have this thing locked up, so maybe people that vote for Biden may get a bit complacent. And Biden is always gaffe prone as many well know.

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Brick wrote:

She brought it upon herself after she built her entire academic career based on a fraudulent lie.


Watching her speak now as she suspends her campaign. She launches into the identity politics. Says she won't run in 2020, won't endorse. Now turning this into a "we are bad because a woman won't be president" stuff. Well maybe if we didn't have someone crazy running we would have a woman in the white house. The entitlement is just staggering.


Any sources on you supposed "identity politics" claim? At least Democrats can run people who look like the entire nation and not just a select few.


Lets look at four years ago. The Democratic primary was an old white woman and two old white men. The GOP primary was a younger white woman, a Black Man, Two young Latino Men, an old white man, and three middle age white men. As I recall, the first ones to drop were Jeb Bush and Chris Christie, two of the middle age white men. That left Carly Fiorina (A white woman), Ben Carson (A black man), Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio (Two young latino men), John Kasich (another middle age white man), and the man who did win Donald Trump (the old white man).

My point is that people of color and diversity lasted much longer in the GOP primary four years ago, than they did this time around. And the establishment was quick to back a white man this time.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8602
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:34 pm

apodino wrote:
So lets say that Bernie wins MI, WA, ID, and ND, and Biden wins MS and MO. That should push Bernie into the delegate lead.

If the contests were WTA, I'd agree. But as all the contests are proportional allocation (and right now, it's a 2 person race), a 51-49 victory in MI will mean nothing for Sanders if Biden can achieve 65-35 victories in MS and MO. If the remaining southern states (and the NE) present themselves as overwhelmingly for Biden, he may take the lead, even if Sanders narrowly wins other states.

That's why I don't agree that winning the states is enough. The margin is everything.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3126
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:01 pm

apodino wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
apodino wrote:
Biden had a good night, there is no other way to spin it. One thing that is not being reported at all that I think is very relevant. Republican crossover vote in many states. 10 of the states that voted on Super Tuesday had open primaries meaning anyone could request a Democratic Ballot, and three other states allowed Unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary. Virginia also did not hold a republican primary and was also open. This is the real reason turnout in Virginia was up 70 percent, and this did not get reported at all. (The media narrative is of course democratic enthusiasm led to such a turnout).

Here we go again. Conspiracy theories with no evidence of support taken as fact.

Why would GOP voters vote for Biden if Sanders is easier to portray as extreme?

Because until the returns came in from Super Tuesday, all the polling and data indicated that Sanders was poised to do well and even end up with an insurmountable lead coming out of Super Tuesday. As I illustrated in an earlier post in this thread, the Biden vote would have been believed to be a play for a brokered convention where the establishment would take the nomination from Bernie in Milwaukee. I still think as far out there as Bernie is, he would be a tougher general election match up for Trump than Biden will be.

Because there wasn't much time for reliable polling between the blow-out in South Carolina and Super Tuesday to truly capture the effect of Biden's increased momentum as well as the other candidates dropping out. Bernie has predicated his whole electability argument around being able to turn out more voters. That didn't happen. In many cases less people turned out for the primaries and less still came out for Sanders than was even the case last year (the worst case being Vermont). I think the biggest mistake is thinking 2020 is a replay of 2016. Biden is not Hillary Clinton. Biden, despite whatever one may think of him, is more likable than Clinton ever was, so a lot of that explicitly anti-Clinton angst in the Democrat party in 2016 that propelled much of Bernie's campaign simply does not exist this time around.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:03 pm

apodino wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Watching her speak now as she suspends her campaign. She launches into the identity politics. Says she won't run in 2020, won't endorse. Now turning this into a "we are bad because a woman won't be president" stuff. Well maybe if we didn't have someone crazy running we would have a woman in the white house. The entitlement is just staggering.


Any sources on you supposed "identity politics" claim? At least Democrats can run people who look like the entire nation and not just a select few.


Lets look at four years ago. The Democratic primary was an old white woman and two old white men. The GOP primary was a younger white woman, a Black Man, Two young Latino Men, an old white man, and three middle age white men. As I recall, the first ones to drop were Jeb Bush and Chris Christie, two of the middle age white men. That left Carly Fiorina (A white woman), Ben Carson (A black man), Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio (Two young latino men), John Kasich (another middle age white man), and the man who did win Donald Trump (the old white man).

My point is that people of color and diversity lasted much longer in the GOP primary four years ago, than they did this time around. And the establishment was quick to back a white man this time.


Because Republicans would be willing to hold their nose and vote for an old white man with a (D) behind his name rather than anyone ANYONE else. It is sad but to move this country out of the racist schoolyard bullying tactics the MAGA fans love so much, we have to use their tactics. Unfortunately, this means playing identity politics. That being: Republicans can only identify with old white men.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 pm

BTW, looking up and down the thread, the ones screaming about "identity politics" and "Democrats are using identity politics" are Republicans. Democrats are not talking about this at all but Republicans are constantly screaming about it. Guess why? Democrats understand that AMERICANS, regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, whatever, as long as they are legally able to hold office (meaning read what the Constitution says about holding office) we don't care. Be an American born citizen over the age of 35 and you can run for president. Not that hard to figure out. Yet, for some reason, Republicans are the ones bringing up race and gender identity and sexual orientation and religion over and over.

If you Republicans want to stop talking about identity politics, stop bringing it up every other post.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8602
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Well, Warren just informed she won't endorse anyone at the moment.

Probably for the best too. You wanna let the primary run on its own. But I'll be on the lookout for the Sanders army calling Warren names for refusing to endorse at the moment (as she did in 2016).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:53 pm

seb146 wrote:

Because Republicans would be willing to hold their nose and vote for an old white man with a (D) behind his name rather than anyone ANYONE else. It is sad but to move this country out of the racist schoolyard bullying tactics the MAGA fans love so much, we have to use their tactics.

What on Earth are you talking about!? Democrat voters are choosing to nominate white guys to capture the Republican vote? What!?!?

:confused: :confused: :confused:


einsteinboricua wrote:
Well, Warren just informed she won't endorse anyone at the moment.

Probably for the best too. You wanna let the primary run on its own. But I'll be on the lookout for the Sanders army calling Warren names for refusing to endorse at the moment (as she did in 2016).

Oh boy, I'm predicting some outrage coming from the Sanders camp. This is gonna be interesting
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because Republicans would be willing to hold their nose and vote for an old white man with a (D) behind his name rather than anyone ANYONE else. It is sad but to move this country out of the racist schoolyard bullying tactics the MAGA fans love so much, we have to use their tactics.

What on Earth are you talking about!? Democrat voters are choosing to nominate white guys to capture the Republican vote? What!?!?


Cult 45 voters are choosing to whine and scream about Democratic party nominees. Go ask the cult why they are upset with nominees who are not even in their party. The cult members decided to be offended by Democratic party nominees and Democratic officials. Why are the cult members all snowflaky over it? I think that is a more important question.

Another important question is why can't you spell the name of a major American political party correctly?

A third important question is: why are you treating a man who goes against so many Biblical laws as the Second Coming? Compare his life with Biblical laws and ask yourself why he is so much more holy than Jesus?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2548
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:23 am

It will give me great personal pleasure to see the race come down to the Guam Caucus
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2548
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:24 am

Just saw that the US Virgin Islands caucus is even later. That would be even better
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:31 am

Bernie Sanders Says He Will Drop Out if Joe Biden gets Plurality Coming Into the Dem Convention

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... on-1490614

Why not stay in and fight Bernie?

Trump's a fighter, not a quiter.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12708
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:11 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Bernie Sanders Says He Will Drop Out if Joe Biden gets Plurality Coming Into the Dem Convention

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... on-1490614

Why not stay in and fight Bernie?

Trump's a fighter, not a quiter.


The difference between integrity and unfiltered vanity/small dick syndrome.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Bernie Sanders Says He Will Drop Out if Joe Biden gets Plurality Coming Into the Dem Convention

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... on-1490614

Why not stay in and fight Bernie?

Trump's a fighter, not a quiter.


He knows the Superdelegates are all going to Biden. I wish the DNC would get rid of them all together.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Real question is why is Tulsi Gabbard still in? Is she just waiting for hoping for Biden or Bernie to implode for some reason and become the alternate vote? I'm really wondering what her strategy is

seb146 wrote:
Cult 45 voters are choosing to whine and scream about Democratic party nominees. Go ask the cult why they are upset with nominees who are not even in their party. The cult members decided to be offended by Democratic party nominees and Democratic officials. Why are the cult members all snowflaky over it? I think that is a more important question.

Uhhh... First off, you're the one saying us liberals are resorting to their (right wing) tactics and nominating white guys because racist Republicans won't vote for non white guys, as if they're gonna vote for the Democrat anyway? Plus, remember the very non-white president we had just before Trump? We nominated him and he won.

You said it, go read what you wrote. It doesn't make much sense at all

seb146 wrote:
Another important question is why can't you spell the name of a major American political party correctly?

Too me a second to understand what you were saying. Meh, habit. I honestly forget about it until someone gets all mad about it, it's just what I heard growing up all my life

seb146 wrote:
A third important question is: why are you treating a man who goes against so many Biblical laws as the Second Coming? Compare his life with Biblical laws and ask yourself why he is so much more holy than Jesus?

Seb. Bro. What are you talking about!?!?? Are you talking about Trump? Are you suggesting I'm treating him like the second coming!? I'm an atheist, I despise Trump and can't wait until he's gone, and what does that have to do with anything that we are talking about!?
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
Bernie Sanders Says He Will Drop Out if Joe Biden gets Plurality Coming Into the Dem Convention

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders ... on-1490614

Why not stay in and fight Bernie?

Trump's a fighter, not a quiter.


The difference between integrity and unfiltered vanity/small dick syndrome.

He is sticking to his word when he said the person with the most votes should get the nomination.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Real question is why is Tulsi Gabbard still in? Is she just waiting for hoping for Biden or Bernie to implode for some reason and become the alternate vote? I'm really wondering what her strategy is

seb146 wrote:
Cult 45 voters are choosing to whine and scream about Democratic party nominees. Go ask the cult why they are upset with nominees who are not even in their party. The cult members decided to be offended by Democratic party nominees and Democratic officials. Why are the cult members all snowflaky over it? I think that is a more important question.

Uhhh... First off, you're the one saying us liberals are resorting to their (right wing) tactics and nominating white guys because racist Republicans won't vote for non white guys, as if they're gonna vote for the Democrat anyway? Plus, remember the very non-white president we had just before Trump? We nominated him and he won.

You said it, go read what you wrote. It doesn't make much sense at all


Republicans keep whining about "Democrats are playing identity politics" which means "Democrats are pandering to minorities, LGBTQ people, and women". Which is not true at all. Sure Obama was a Democrat and he is half African-American. So? He was also seen by a majority of Americans as the best qualified. The question now is: who, out of all the Democrats running, is both most qualified AND best able to convince Republicans who have not drunk the kool-ade to vote for them? Warren had her issues, Buttigieg had his issues, Bloomberg had his issues, and on down the line. We said nothing about "she needs to be elected only because she is a woman" or "he needs to be elected because he is gay" or whatever. The only ones saying that are the cult members.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Another important question is why can't you spell the name of a major American political party correctly?

Too me a second to understand what you were saying. Meh, habit. I honestly forget about it until someone gets all mad about it, it's just what I heard growing up all my life


Go read about the history of that term, "democrat party" and see of you feel the same.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
A third important question is: why are you treating a man who goes against so many Biblical laws as the Second Coming? Compare his life with Biblical laws and ask yourself why he is so much more holy than Jesus?

Seb. Bro. What are you talking about!?!?? Are you talking about Trump? Are you suggesting I'm treating him like the second coming!? I'm an atheist, I despise Trump and can't wait until he's gone, and what does that have to do with anything that we are talking about!?


Dude, bruh, man..... Yes, the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW) actually treat him like a god. These people insist they are Christian and we follow the Christian path. Not the one in the Bible but the one they are told about by their cult leaders. It needs to constantly be pointed out. Why is that a bad thing?

I see points in some posts that I feel I have to respond to. Things that I see and hear in real life. Things that these racist MAGA fans actually believe and spout off about in real life. Right here in my town. I don't mean to point to one person when I talk about these things. I am talking to and about a group of people.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:53 pm

the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW)


Yup, thems the ones that voted Trump in. Really? You didn’t read about all the Obama voters, many working class, union members who switched to vote for Trump in, oh, let’s say, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio?
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10898
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:33 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW)


Yup, thems the ones that voted Trump in. Really? You didn’t read about all the Obama voters, many working class, union members who switched to vote for Trump in, oh, let’s say, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio?

That might indicate they are not voting for reason or that they are more just reactionary/looking to inflict something on others. There are always voters like that.

Do you think that means they are actual Republican voters or conservative?

Flipping back and forth does not indicate a desire to support something but rather a spur of the moment thing. Most Republicans and conservatives actually value and seek a certain long term goal, beyond "I want to see their heads explode" or "I know him from TV/I like the name" etc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12708
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Tugger wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW)


Yup, thems the ones that voted Trump in. Really? You didn’t read about all the Obama voters, many working class, union members who switched to vote for Trump in, oh, let’s say, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio?

That might indicate they are not voting for reason or that they are more just reactionary/looking to inflict something on others. There are always voters like that.

Do you think that means they are actual Republican voters or conservative?

Flipping back and forth does not indicate a desire to support something but rather a spur of the moment thing. Most Republicans and conservatives actually value and seek a certain long term goal, beyond "I want to see their heads explode" or "I know him from TV/I like the name" etc.

Tugg


Funny stuff though - imagine a PAC entitled ‘The Head Exploders’
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 10898
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:36 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Well, Warren just informed she won't endorse anyone at the moment.

Probably for the best too. You wanna let the primary run on its own. But I'll be on the lookout for the Sanders army calling Warren names for refusing to endorse at the moment (as she did in 2016).

Warren had such a good head start, she should have been better than what she ended up. I was interested in what she had to say in the beginning but completely lost me as she got into essentially trying to out-Bernie Bernie. She was always a bit too left I think but in the initial campaign seemed to run a more moderate campaign, until .... I think she really couldn't stand the fact that Sanders was beating her out on the "liberals" side of things. We she saw herself as THE contender and to beat that she went after what his supporters wanted, or what she thought they wanted. And she just ended up making a mess of her campaign and platform.

At least that is my thinking.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:05 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW)


Yup, thems the ones that voted Trump in. Really? You didn’t read about all the Obama voters, many working class, union members who switched to vote for Trump in, oh, let’s say, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio?


Nope it's just easier to use smears and identity politics to explain when in reality the base of either party doesn't have say in the president. The middle of the electorate does.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
the base, the MAGA fans, the racists, the cult 45 (all Republicans, BTW)


Yup, thems the ones that voted Trump in. Really? You didn’t read about all the Obama voters, many working class, union members who switched to vote for Trump in, oh, let’s say, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio?


You are acting as though it was a landslide for the orange man baby. It was not. He gained access to the White House by razor thin margins in a few districts.

It also helps that the racist Republicans helped keep minority voters from their civic duty......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:26 am

There was six women, she outlasted them all.
We need to get a woman in there. Even if it's from the Republicans. Hopefully, 2024 will be different.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
There was six women, she outlasted them all.
We need to get a woman in there. Even if it's from the Republicans. Hopefully, 2024 will be different.


I love Amy Barrett! She could be in the running.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12708
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
There was six women, she outlasted them all.
We need to get a woman in there. Even if it's from the Republicans. Hopefully, 2024 will be different.


I love Amy Barrett! She could be in the running.


Amy McGrath would also be highly palatable to most independents.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do you really think people are worse off today than 40 years ago?


In a lot of ways, yes. Housing/medical/education costs to start.


Do you really want to live with 1980 heart surgery? Medicine is so far ahead of what it was then. I know a guy who had a burst brain aneurysm and is back flying, it’d have killed him then.


The level of care is great... if you can afford/access it.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:28 am

This comes up during most election cycles to some degree, but what really will happen if a candidate implodes close to the election?

A lot of people keep saying Biden is getting dementia. I've seen the evidence for it... IDK, it can also just be him being his goofy (not in a bad way) self

Bernie had the heart attack, he is pretty old, but he seems more or less healthy. When you get up there in years, though, anyone is close to being not good

And I guess while we're at it, similar stuff has been said about Trump.

Would the party nominate someone during an emergency convention? VP nominee take over? Would it practically be game over for that party?

seb146 wrote:
Go read about the history of that term, "democrat party" and see of you feel the same.

Hmm interesting, didn't realize the story behind it. Guess it makes sense, I heard Rush Limbaugh all the time growing up in a right wing home. Despite being left of center nowadays, I do not like the Democratic party, so maybe I'll co-opt the term and use it in my own rebellious way ;)

I think we can all be more civil. You call me out for saying "Democrat Party" in-between you saying "cult 45" and "orange man baby." At least be consistent
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8602
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Tugger wrote:
Warren had such a good head start, she should have been better than what she ended up. I was interested in what she had to say in the beginning but completely lost me as she got into essentially trying to out-Bernie Bernie. She was always a bit too left I think but in the initial campaign seemed to run a more moderate campaign, until .... I think she really couldn't stand the fact that Sanders was beating her out on the "liberals" side of things. We she saw herself as THE contender and to beat that she went after what his supporters wanted, or what she thought they wanted. And she just ended up making a mess of her campaign and platform.

That's pretty much a good summary of what went wrong with her campaign. She tried to be a bridge between moderates and progressives and found out the hard way that she ended up not gaining support from either side. Progressives blasted her as establishment (as if...) and moderates never warmed up to her (she was already to their left, just not as left as Sanders).

I feel bad for her because you can tell that she has passion for what she believes in. Her interview with Rachel Maddow was a bit hard for me to watch because you can tell that she was definitely disappointed in not having done better.

That being said: I hate that they're making claims that misogyny and sexism played a part in her not making it further. No...I found Warren much more tolerable than Sanders, but her positions were simply not what people wanted and definitely not what I wanted either. It has nothing to do with her being a woman.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Would the party nominate someone during an emergency convention? VP nominee take over? Would it practically be game over for that party?

Here's the latest as of 2016. I don't know if the policy for the DNC was updated after the superdelegate reform.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:15 am

I have a hunch that Warren is going to come out for Biden and not Sanders. This is based on her appearing in a sketch on SNL. NBC must know something because NBC does want Bernie, and would not be willing to give Warren the highlight in that opening sketch, which other media will naturally give coverage to, if NBC thought that Warren was going to endorse Bernie.

I could be wrong, of course, but when it comes to slimy NBC, they usually do not disappoint.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I have a hunch that Warren is going to come out for Biden and not Sanders. This is based on her appearing in a sketch on SNL. NBC must know something because NBC does want Bernie, and would not be willing to give Warren the highlight in that opening sketch, which other media will naturally give coverage to, if NBC thought that Warren was going to endorse Bernie.

I could be wrong, of course, but when it comes to slimy NBC, they usually do not disappoint.


She will only endorse Biden if she is VP, if he picks Klobuchar or someone else she will refuse to endorse.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15346
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:02 pm

I am a loyal Democrat. As I have stated before, I have serious problems with all of those that have and are still running for the party nomination for President. Yes, if Biden or Sanders gets it, for sure I will vote for them like I did for Hillary Clinton, with reservations, but Trump must be voted out of office for the greater good of our country.

As I have also brought up, I think our country and indeed in other parts of the world, we are seeing a crises of a lack of good leaders. Come on, Sanders and Biden will be our choices for the party candidate ? Both have terrible flaws Trump and Republicans will eat up in a few ads. Corruption is rampant in both of our political parties. There is far too much control by corporations and the rich. There is the human reality of racism and anti-immigrant feelings. Far too much selfishness. Not enough good paying jobs. Housing costs out of control. A declining enviroment. Many other institutions from religion to education in sharp decline of respect.

My only real hope this fall will be that Trump so botches the dealing with the Coronavirus or his financial records get finally produced and outed to the public to prove he, his family and businesses have such massive corruption it cannot be ignored he cannot be in office.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
I have a hunch that Warren is going to come out for Biden and not Sanders. This is based on her appearing in a sketch on SNL. NBC must know something because NBC does want Bernie, and would not be willing to give Warren the highlight in that opening sketch, which other media will naturally give coverage to, if NBC thought that Warren was going to endorse Bernie.

I could be wrong, of course, but when it comes to slimy NBC, they usually do not disappoint.


She will only endorse Biden if she is VP, if he picks Klobuchar or someone else she will refuse to endorse.


Not surprising, neither one of you bring up the point that all Democratic candidates are willing to make jokes about themselves. Comedy is comedy and not something to be offended over. But, do go on about your wild conspiracies with zero proof.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13696
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:38 pm

ltbewr wrote:
As I have also brought up, I think our country and indeed in other parts of the world, we are seeing a crises of a lack of good leaders. Come on, Sanders and Biden will be our choices for the party candidate ? Both have terrible flaws Trump and Republicans will eat up in a few ads. Corruption is rampant in both of our political parties. There is far too much control by corporations and the rich. There is the human reality of racism and anti-immigrant feelings. Far too much selfishness. Not enough good paying jobs. Housing costs out of control. A declining enviroment. Many other institutions from religion to education in sharp decline of respect.



I have to admit I was shocked at the candidates the Dems put on that stage. I mean you had a pretty good candidate in Howard Schultz there but of course he was told to cease and desist so the usual rabble rousers who felt they were entitled could run. Policies and civility were cast aside in the quest to beat Trump and when I witnessed and am still witnessing with Warren's exit interviews is the fringe hijacking the Democratic party.

The Dems are at an inflection point. With Newsom more than likely running in 2024 the journey to the far left continues into the abyss. Now you can accept what is happening right before you eyes or you can continue to blame Russia, Racism and all this other crap for why Trump is in the white house. When in reality middle of the electorate is telling you they don't want the current policies of the Democratic party. They don't want the rabble rousing of Pelosi and Schumer. In fact Pelosi needs to go as Speaker. The Dem party almost had the courage to get rid of her in 2018 but couldn't do the right thing. As a result the fringe just keeps dragging the party left.

This November will be more of a wake up call. Not sure if the Dem party will change course and make the changes necessary but to continue to call rich people evil, call people that disagree racists, fearmonger through the press and threaten people will not help their current situation.

Maybe there is somebody in the Democratic party with courage that can take their party back from the fringe and lead them out of the hole they have been in for the last 3 years. Maybe not. It would be refreshing though.
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2335
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:02 pm

Kamala Harris endorses former 2020 rival Joe Biden

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... -joe-biden

I guess she and Joe smoked a Peace Pipe.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
lugie
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Well, Warren just informed she won't endorse anyone at the moment.

Probably for the best too. You wanna let the primary run on its own. But I'll be on the lookout for the Sanders army calling Warren names for refusing to endorse at the moment (as she did in 2016).


It's reasonable to assume that had it been Bernie who dropped out and the race was narrowed down to Warren v. Biden, Bernie would have endorsed her in a heartbeat.

I hate entertaining conspiracy theories but a lot of revelations from this past week just scream "foul play by the DNC" to me, last but not least the issue of endorsements. Warren's policy stances could almost entirely be summed up as "female Sanders" - a bit more centrist on some issues, a bit further left on others. Comparing her to the two candidates remaining in the race, the question of whom to endorse should be a no-brainer.

For some reason though it isn't?

I suspect the reason for that is the same as the one why Kamala Harris, who arguably launched the hardest attacks of all candidates on Biden during the debates, has decided to fall in line behind him as well as Pete Buttigieg who, at the time of his dropping out and immediately endorsing Biden, had had a better showing than Biden in all but the SC primaries at that point.



I'm anxious about the upcoming primaries in the Rust Belt states as they may already settle the outcome in November as a worst-case scenario (aka Trump reelection): If Bernie wins in Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania (which he currently looks on track to and which I'm personally rooting for), it proves that he would be the more suited candidate for these crucial states that lost Clinton the election in 2016.
However I fear that regardless of those bright flashing warning signs, the DNC will force Biden through to a nomination, maybe with the undemocratic help of super delegates at the convention if need be.

That would mean they're running the candidate that's less popular in the states that will decide the general election and thus all but sealing the deal for Trump.

Yes, Biden is vastly more successful than Bernie in the Southern States but that doesn't matter because they won't swing blue in 2020 yet anyway. The demographic clock is ticking in favor of the Democrats but the likes of GA, SC, TX will likely become competitive in 2024 the very earliest and that is completely disregarding dirty tricks that GOP state legislatures might pull (purging the GA voter rolls in 2018, anyone?).
Therefore, the difference between Biden and Sanders won't matter there because whether you lose GA 40-60 or 30-70 doesn't change the fact that all of the state's 16 precious EVs will go red.

The same goes for some of the blue states along the east coast, whether that be VA or MA. Biden might have an edge in popularity but even Virginia is so reliably blue by now that this difference would be irrelevant for the allocation of EVs from there, because again, a 60-40 win is a 55-45 win is a win.

What matters is whether the Democrats can win back PA and MI (and best case, WI and OH) and currently it looks like Sanders is the better candidate here, but even if he proves that in those states' primaries, he will probably not be nominated.

If Biden proves me wrong in Michigan then, by all means, go with him. I don't care for him, but anything with a (D) behind their name is better than Trump. However, if Biden does lose the MI primary and the DNC nominates him regardless, mark my words, Trump will get 4 more years (and likely at least one more SC seat to fill :yuck: )
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:29 am

NIKV69 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
As I have also brought up, I think our country and indeed in other parts of the world, we are seeing a crises of a lack of good leaders. Come on, Sanders and Biden will be our choices for the party candidate ? Both have terrible flaws Trump and Republicans will eat up in a few ads. Corruption is rampant in both of our political parties. There is far too much control by corporations and the rich. There is the human reality of racism and anti-immigrant feelings. Far too much selfishness. Not enough good paying jobs. Housing costs out of control. A declining enviroment. Many other institutions from religion to education in sharp decline of respect.



I have to admit I was shocked at the candidates the Dems put on that stage. I mean you had a pretty good candidate in Howard Schultz there but of course he was told to cease and desist so the usual rabble rousers who felt they were entitled could run. Policies and civility were cast aside in the quest to beat Trump and when I witnessed and am still witnessing with Warren's exit interviews is the fringe hijacking the Democratic party.

The Dems are at an inflection point. With Newsom more than likely running in 2024 the journey to the far left continues into the abyss. Now you can accept what is happening right before you eyes or you can continue to blame Russia, Racism and all this other crap for why Trump is in the white house. When in reality middle of the electorate is telling you they don't want the current policies of the Democratic party. They don't want the rabble rousing of Pelosi and Schumer. In fact Pelosi needs to go as Speaker. The Dem party almost had the courage to get rid of her in 2018 but couldn't do the right thing. As a result the fringe just keeps dragging the party left.

This November will be more of a wake up call. Not sure if the Dem party will change course and make the changes necessary but to continue to call rich people evil, call people that disagree racists, fearmonger through the press and threaten people will not help their current situation.

Maybe there is somebody in the Democratic party with courage that can take their party back from the fringe and lead them out of the hole they have been in for the last 3 years. Maybe not. It would be refreshing though.


Sorry (not sorry) no one is far extreme right to out right the right wing oligarch currently pretending to be a leader. We get you hate "left wing" leadership. That is: anyone to the left of Stalin. Guess what? Left leaning people will not vote for oligarchs, kings, and dictators. Again, sorry (not sorry) Democrats are not single minded. Sorry (not sorry) Democrats want EVERY American to live freely and not under very specific government mandated rules and laws. Sorry (not sorry) Democrats want less government and fewer laws. Sorry (not sorry) Democrats want the most people to have the most disposable income by giving us affordable health care, affordable education, affordable housing, etc. Sorry (not sorry) that offends.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8602
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 2020 Democratic Primary Thread

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:07 pm

lugie wrote:
I'm anxious about the upcoming primaries in the Rust Belt states as they may already settle the outcome in November as a worst-case scenario (aka Trump reelection): If Bernie wins in Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania (which he currently looks on track to and which I'm personally rooting for), it proves that he would be the more suited candidate for these crucial states that lost Clinton the election in 2016.

I'm curious to see where you see that Bernie is favored to win MI/OH/PA. None of the states have had polls lately and only MI showed a very narrow lead for Sanders in what was then a 4-5 person race. The polls released today show Biden with a crushing lead in MI (of course, the real poll that matters is the one on Tuesday).

OH votes later this month and PA votes in the Acela Primary next month. The last poll from OH was taken in late September.

lugie wrote:
What matters is whether the Democrats can win back PA and MI (and best case, WI and OH) and currently it looks like Sanders is the better candidate here, but even if he proves that in those states' primaries, he will probably not be nominated.

Clinton won the OH primary (and narrowly carried IA). Both went overwhelmingly for Trump. She also won PA; it went for Trump. Cruz won WI. It ended up supporting Trump in the general election.

How a state votes in the primary is not indicative of who it will go for in the general election. I agree that the swing states are worth keeping an eye on, but 2016 showed that primary voters are not the same as general election voters.

lugie wrote:
If Biden proves me wrong in Michigan then, by all means, go with him. I don't care for him, but anything with a (D) behind their name is better than Trump. However, if Biden does lose the MI primary and the DNC nominates him regardless, mark my words, Trump will get 4 more years (and likely at least one more SC seat to fill :yuck: )

Define "lose" the primary. If Bernie blows him out of the water in MI, you have a case. If it ends up being a 49.5-50.5 split, there's not much of an argument to be made except that the electorate is sharply divided. Being that MI was THE closest state in the election, that Republicans have not made the state any better since in office, and that Biden is liked, I can see MI returning to the Democratic column in the general election no matter who wins. PA and WI are a different story.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mani87, tommy1808 and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos